Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit v. Nissan Versa

Comments

• wulfgarwulfgar Member Posts: 38
    Yes, our Mexican brothers and sisters can be counted on to build our houses and care for our children. But Heaven forbid they build our cars!
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Fit+=Japanese made, Versa = Mexican made by carfanatic007 Aug 02, 2006 (11:11 pm)
    That means quality and reliability is on the Fits side.

I doubt your logic will convince anyone to forgo their trip to the Nissan dealer.
  • jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 35
    Yes, our Mexican brothers and sisters can be counted on to build our houses and care for our children. But Heaven forbid they build our cars!

brothers & sisters? please.

overall, the japanese build the most reliable cars. better than mexican, american, german, etc.

this is a car forum, not a political forum.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Totally, completely, incorrect! overall, the japanese build the most reliable cars. better than mexican, american, german, etc. That is only your opinion, the facts show something different.

Long Term Quality - Vehicle Dependability Study Rankings JD Power link
    Honda is in 9th place. :surprise: Behind Cadillac, Mercury, Lincoln, Porsche and Buick. There are not too many Buicks and Mercury built in Japan. :surprise:
  • shrinermonkeyshrinermonkey Member Posts: 58
    Depends on what data you use:
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/reliability/used-car-reliability-406/man- ufacturers-as-they-age/index.htm

According to CR, the Asian brands are much more reliable than the other brands overall. I have never had much respect for JD Power's data as it seems to be all over the map and doesn't ever jive with any other studies that I see. Plus their whole "Initial Quality" rankings are completely useless. The first 90 days tell you almost nothing about how reliable a car will be as the miles add up.
    Totally, completely, incorrect! overall, the japanese build the most reliable cars. better than mexican, american, german, etc. That is only your opinion, the facts show something different.

Long Term Quality - Vehicle Dependability Study Rankings JD Power link
    Honda is in 9th place. Behind Cadillac, Mercury, Lincoln, Porsche and Buick. There are not too many Buicks and Mercury built in Japan.

it looks like 5 of the top 10 are japanese, including number 1.
    :surprise:
    I don't believe I made a political comment. I consider all members of the human race my brothers and sisters. If you don't, that's fine, too. I was only adding my opinion that is just as fact based as "overall, the japanese build the most reliable cars. better than mexican, american, german, etc.'

As a brief explanation, I personally don't buy into any of the vehicle ratings. I am not claiming they are not valuable, just that they each have too many variables. Some I know consider the least little problem a crime against humanity. They complain loudly to everyone that will listen. Others consider catastrophic breakdowns as the cost of routine maintenance and pay the dealer outrageous sums with a smile - always happy with their car. Are they wrong? I don't know, I just believe most products bought new and properly maintained will give good service regardless of where they are made.
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    The JD Power study is original owners 3 years from date of purchase. Is that long term??
    BTW, the consumer reports graph shows Volkswagen as the worst after about 3 years and on.
    :confuse: BTW, the consumer reports graph shows Volkswagen as the worst after about 3 years and on. :sick:

Does VW have any involvement in making the Fit or the Versa?
    it looks like 5 of the top 10 are japanese, including number 1.

Three of the top 5 are US manufacturers and only one is Japanese.

When 4 out of 5 of the top five are NOT made in Japan, it discredits the even the suggestion that Quality=Made in Japan.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    In all seriousness, do some of you use these things as a van everyday? If so, what do you haul?

In all seriousness. I don't use my vehicles for a Van every day. Also, In all seriousness, I don't even haul a passenger every day. But it is nice to have seats available when I do haul someone. It is good that the Versa has those seats available even though they are not used everyday.

It is also nice to have a flat floor in the rear when it is necessary to bring home a reasonably large item from Home Depot, Best Buys, or even the occasional garage or yard sale.

If I'm going to drive a Hatchback, why not have standard hatchback options. Options such as space to haul the occasional larger item! Versa missed the boat on this one. :sick:

Generally speaking, a sedan will perform a bit better with the same size engine do to aerodynamics. It is quieter inside and the cooling/heating work a bit better due to less CABIN space to heat and cool. ;)

Kip
    Makes sense - just asking. It just reminds me of how the car mags used to rate vans and trucks on whether they could cary a standard sheet of plywood. I have never met anyone who needed to do so.

We use all four seats everyday even though most don't. Every one's use for a car varies but it is nice to have options on carrying bulky items.
  • shrinermonkeyshrinermonkey Member Posts: 58
    That is why I really think Nissan missed the mark with the Versa. It's roominess/comfort isn't THAT much better than the Fit to compensate for the lack of versatility...at least for me.
    When 4 out of 5 of the top five are NOT made in Japan, it discredits the even the suggestion that Quality=Made in Japan.

discredits even the suggestion? wow, you get this from one JD power study. ignoring consumer reports. whatever floats your boat.

btw, i own a mercury. i wonder how many mercury owners feel their car is of better "quality" than a honda? not me. unless their honda was built in america... ;)
    I gotta agree to a point.

I will be 65 the 18th of this month, August.

My first car was a well used 1939 Ford coupe which I bought on 1958. I/we have owned well over 50 new cars in my lifetime. Nearly all were American made until I traded my troublesome 87 Chevy Astro for a Mazda MPV about 1991 or so. In 95 we traded my wife's very troublesome 87 Olds Calis for a new 95 Maxima that she just had to have. Those Japanese cars just didn't break.

In '96 I broke down and bought a Dodge Ram Sport. The dealer got so tired of me complaining that they made a deal I couldn't refuse on an "IMPROVED" 98 model Ram Sport. It was a little better but not much.

In '03 we traded the troublesome Ram and the trouble free Maxima for '03 Pilot and '03 CR-V. Trouble Free! The reason for trading the Maxima was for more room for my wife's crafts and easier for her bad knees to get in and out of.

I simply don't trust the big 3 to build a reliable car. I grew up and grew old with them, They break too much. I don't know what J.D. Powers looks at. I look at real world for me and my family.

Kip
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    Kip,

I agree. We have an 03 CRV also and sometimes getting in and out with the high door sills can be a basterage for older bodies. But as you stated, they don't break. I had an 74 Corolla that went 95K without ever going to the dealer for repairs.

Bubba :)
    Bubba,

The problem with the Maxima was having to squat and fold into the seat due to the very low seat and low roof line. Her bad knees really acted up when getting out.

The CR-V seat is just about "Fanny" high when standing outside the car, which makes getting on the seat a lot easier. Then just twist around and get legs inside.

Also the driving position of the CR-V is more chair like and easier on the lower back. Just a lot more comfortable ride for us old timers! ;)

The only Fit I have even seen was on the road and moving. What is the seating position in the front of those? Is it low like a sedan or higher, more like a chair?

Kip
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    K,

The seat is not as high as the CRV, but the seating position is upright, chair like.

Bubba
  • fit_nessfit_ness Member Posts: 58
    That is why I bought mine. Upright seating much like my '84 Civic Wagon.

It ain't the greatest, but the Maxima and Forester and most other cars are just not back friendly (for me) in the low lay down type of seating.
    Bubba,
    Thanks

fit_ness

I had one of those Civic wagons. Seems I bought it new in 81 or 82. It had a 3 speed auto with only 2 selections for forward. "2" would start off in 2nd gear and D would use all 3. No selection for 1st gear only.

In 83 we had the mother of ice storms for Georgia. Things were paralyzed for several days. The "Wagon" got me home from work while others could not. I went all over the neighborhood picking up kids that had gotten home from school and their parents were unable to get there. We had a house full of 5-8 year old young'uns, and no electricity, thus no water from the well. Therefore no toilet operation. :sick: But we managed !

Our emergency water and food did us well and the wood burning stove kept us warm. What a hoot that was!

The FWD "Wagon" shuttled all those kids home when there parents got there and a couple of other errands that only 4WD were supposed to be able to do in those days.
    Another time we brought home TWO full grown Nubian Goat Does at the same time. They each weighed near 150#.

With the 3 spd auto and carburetor it still managed to deliver 32 MPG most every time I filled it,whether loaded down with tools and parts for my job, errands, or strictly highway. 32

What a great car that was. Should have kept that one. :cry:

Kip
  • fit_nessfit_ness Member Posts: 58
    Sorry for the further digression... You reminded me of the time I brought three completely loaded and honied (heavy!) bee hives 200+ miles from Lynchburg to Virginia Beach inside my '84 Civic Wagon 5spd. I was in my bee suit with helmet at the ready. Also hauled both washer and dryer in it - at the same time. I did love that car!
  • boatfloydboatfloyd Member Posts: 29
    Kip,
    The "Fit" is very easy to get in and out of. The seat is a little higher then a sedan. boatfloyd :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The very first car I drove was my grand-dad's 1987 Civic Wagon (it was 14 years old when I first sat behind the wheel - I'm turning 19 this month)... It had 70 horsepower, 2WD, and the 4-speed auto. He drove it until October of 2002 (over 15 years) and put 260,000 miles on it before selling it for, get this (and I swear it's the truth) $1,000. The A/C had died, but that was the only main mechanical flaw in the car. It had 2 new brake master cylinders, and the usual timing belt/water pump replacements, but other than that, it was solid as a rock (and about as quick as one too!)

That car was amazing, and I hope my 1996 Accord lasts like that (I'm only at 165,000 miles now, barely broken in!!).
    One day in the future someone will possibly be on this forum, or a similar one, and talking about the car that they or a parent or grandparent bought "NEW" in 2006 or 2007.

Wonder what their comments will be!

Did those old '06-'07 cars, of days gone by, produce fond memories, did they hold up, or are they best forgotten? :)

Kip
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    If they wanted to make a flat floor, maybe they could have made a way for the cargo cover to be moved down to the cargo well area when the seats are folded. This would make a flat floor.
    how can you say that when the honda accords are built in Ohio?
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    There's an accessory available in Japan that raises the cargo floor (called the shelf), making it a flat floor.

Odd that they don't provide it here.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    My wife owns a Fit, purchased in May. My sister in law just purchased the Versa. I was skeptical about the Versa. However, after seeing it in person, it really looks great. Much better looking than the Fit. The interior is massive, especially the back seat area. Fit and finish seem excellent. Of course we shall see about reliability in the long run. She has the CVT which seems really good. Granted, the back seats don't fold down flat, but for the money it seems like an excellent deal.
  • cmkcmk Member Posts: 59
    There's an accessory available in Japan that raises the cargo floor (called the shelf), making it a flat floor.

Hrm, I wonder if that would be available for purchase in the states from a 3rd-party accessories dealer.
    I just drove the Fit automatic and it was much better than the manual...smoother & quieter on the highway and much lower RPMs on the hwy...at 70mph it was 3500 for the manual and about 2800 for the auto. And the pedal position was better.
  • rhesterrhester Member Posts: 29
    If American-made cars are so reliable and well-built compared to Japanese-made cars I wonder why their resale value is so pathetic in comparison...
    What does your comment have to do with the discussion of Fit vs. Versa? :confuse:
  • rhesterrhester Member Posts: 29
    "Three of the top 5 are US manufacturers and only one is Japanese.

When 4 out of 5 of the top five are NOT made in Japan, it discredits the even the suggestion that Quality=Made in Japan."

You must have a short memory.
    You must have a short memory.

My vision is fine, and I can see that the topic is Honda Fit vs. Nissan Versa. Two vehicles that are not manufactured in the USA. And even if they were, Nissan and Honda are both Japanese corporations.

Resale value of American cars is hardly relevant.
    perception is reality. Most people don't read really reasearch the quality levels of a car, but if their dad or uncle had problems with GM for example, then they'd never buy GM, even if GM cars today are of a higher quality level than 10-20 years ago. Plus I think that some people think that Japanese is just better, just like "German engineering" is better (look at the Chrysler ads)...again, more perception than reality.

On the other hand, I can see that if you climb into a Ford or Chevy, and then enter a Honda or Toyota, the overall look and feel you get in the Honda & Toyata makes it feel that you're in a higher quality car (in my opinion) even if it's just superficial quality of the materials, versus the quality of the guts of a car.
    Perception is indeed reality.

American iron is better than it was. It may be better than Asian made. I'm just not willing to try it again any time soon. ;)

Kip
    I'm still comparing the two. I need cruise but I'd rather not have the cosmetic add-ons of the Fit Sport, but I think that overall quality will be higher in the Fit, and probably better MPG.

But after driving the Fit, the car was pretty noisy on the highway, which is my regular commute, and this is with the automatic which revs a lot lower than the manual. I'm still waiting for a Versa to test drive
    I know it's been talked about, but I looked in CR and saw that Nissan vehicles in general have only average ratings, with Honda having very high ratings. Based on this, if the Versa remains on par with the quality of other Nissan's, then I'd have to give the edge to the Fit for quality. Even though I generally like the Versa more than the Fit I like to keep cars a very long time and in the long run, I feel that the Fit might have less problems. I'd appreciate any feedback on the otherside, because I'd like to be convinced to buy the Versa, but a few years down the road I don't want to be kicking myself!
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    In Japan, Nissan does not have quality issues. No one in Japan argues whose cars are more reliable, Nissan or Honda, as they are both reliable brands. Therefore, to buy a Tiida (JDM Versa) there, quality would not be an issue.

However, Nissan does not have, for some reason, the same kind of quality track record when it comes to its North American manufacturing facilities. Nissan's Tennessee and Mississippi plants have terrible QA issues, producing some of the least reliable Japanese-branded vehicles in the recent memory. I do not know anything about the Mexican (Aguascalientes) facility where the Versa is being assembled, but it does make one feel a bit weary considering how other NA facilities are doing. I know that Carlos Ghosn came over recently to yell at people in Tennessee for their lousy job.
    I test drove a Versa today. All they have around here are the base S with 4sp auto. If I were to get the Versa, I'd definitely want the SL with 6spd or CVT. In comparison to the Fits I drove (both sport auto and base manual), the Versa is quieter and bigger in the 2nd row, but the Fit felt more solid and handled better. The steering was a lot better on the Fit. Plus on the Fit the dash was more solid. On the Versa I pushed here and there on the dash and there were some squeaks, but on the Fit I did the same but it was like pushing on a rock.

That said, the problem with the Fit is that I can't get the cruise control without getting the Sport with the spoiler and ground effects, which look too "punk" to me. But right now there are no Versa SLs available, and none with ABS in the near future, and I want to buy something in the next few weeks. As far as price, both are about $16,500 for the Versa SL with CVT or Fit Sport with Automatic.

If I had both cars sitting in front of me with my exact options I'd probably go with the Versa for the quieter ride and larger back seat. The Fit would win with it's better reputation of quality, the dash layout and the overall more solid feeling.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    i think most cars wil make some kind of sound when pushed on. and i don't understand what you mean by ground effects being more 'punk'. Is that a reference to music or like an attitude? I say both are very nice vehicles, fit leaning more towards sport and fun with a nice dose of utility and the versa seems more upscale(i don't think in quality of materials but maybe in looks)with added utility and some nice technology features. if safety is an issue i would get a base versa with some options added on, but then again i don't know if it comes with cruise. Thats the only thing i hate about the versa; why make the decked out version devoid of abs!! Come on nissan! My sister is thinking about this same dilema, she loves the sportiness of the fit and thinks it's more her, but the fact that they are so damn hard to come buy is reall irritating. She likes the versa too, she would be getting just the s, which is not bad for a first car, and i reccomended her on it just for that fact that it comes with abs.
    ABS is an option. If you want it, order it.
    ABS is an option, but you'll have to wait until Feb 07 to get on an Versa SL with CVT, so if you want both you'll have to wait. So if safety and convenience is an issue and you need to buy before next Feb, then I'd go with the Fit. Yes, you can get ABS with a 5spd manual, but good luck trying to find a 5spd manual SL. Most SLs are coming in with CVTs.

As far as the dash, I wasn't leaning into the dash with my hand, just pushing here and there to see how it felt. My comment was that the Fit's dash just felt more solid, while when I pushed on the Versa's dash it squeeked here and there and just didn't feel as solid.

For me it was a toss-up between the Versa SL with CVT and ABS and the Fit Sport. The deciding factor was that I couldn't wait until next Feb, so I went with the Fit, but if I were to buy next spring, then it would have been a harder decision.
    The CR December issue puts the Fit on top in the manual/sport version and in second place to the Versa in the auto/base version. I wonder if they compared the auto/sport version to the CVT Versa version that the Fit might have been in the #1 position in both categories. Note that the Versa in the manual version was in 4th place.

The deciding factors had to do with reliability, handling, mpg, braking, and interior space. Negatives on the Fit were road noise, acceleration with the auto, steering wheel position and lack of height adjustable drivers seat. The Versa had better marks for interior comforts, noise levels, but the driving characteristics were not as good on the Fit.

In the Manual category, the Fit was in first place by a pretty wide margin, while in the Auto category, the Versa SL beat out the base Fit auto by only one point.

It seems like with other reviews I've read, and based on my own experience, the Fit and Versa are the top two in this category of tall 4dr hatchbacks with good interior room, with the Versa being quieter and with more comforts, and the Honda having better driving characteristics and quality.

The Rio, Accent and Yaris were grouped at the bottom for various reasons.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It's curious that the Versa is on top for the CVT and in fourth place for the stick when "the deciding factors had to do with reliability, handling, mpg, braking, and interior space." The only one of these that would be affected by transmission choice is mpg. Either the Versa stick gets really bad mpg, or all the tested cars were so close to each other that it took only one nick (on mpg?) on the stick Versa to bring it down from 1st place to 4th place.

Or is it that different cars with different equipment were tested in automatic and manual transmissions? For example, was it an Accent sedan as an automatic and an Accent SE with a stick? Or a Rio sedan with automatic and Rio5 with a stick?
    You're right, the transmission difference wasn't the only difference in the comparison. For example, they tested a Base Fit with an automatic and a Sport Fit with a manual, and I think they tested a Versa S with a manual and a Versa SL with the CVT. I'm not sure about the Accent, Rio or Yaris. They did comment though, that the Versa manual was pretty bad.
    Maybe it was as clunky as when I tested it. I guess they liked the CVT though! Also the Versa SL was probably the plushest of all the cars tested. And they don't ding for higher price--if a car costs $14,000 and another costs $17,000, they don't give any extra points for "value" to the lower-priced car.
    I think the Versa was the highest priced at $16,500, but I think the range was within a couple of thousand dollars, depending on options.
    Looks like CR was able to find a Versa SL with CVT and ABS as the only options (maybe mats too). They did well.
This discussion has been closed.