Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit v. Nissan Versa

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Exactly. But there was a pretty big difference in braking distance with and without ABS, so don't believe dealers when they say (as several told me) that a car like the Versa doesn't really need ABS.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, CR was pretty clear about the need for ABS on these cars.

Here's my overall impressions on the CR comparo, which I finally saw today. I put it into the Low-End cars discussion since it involves several different models:

backy, "Low End Sedans (under $16k)" #3704, 6 Nov 2006 9:17 am
    Interesting that although the Fit & Versa are the same width, the Fit has 51.2/51.0" of hip room front & rear, while the Versa only has 48.8/47.2" front/rear. The Versa does have 4.3" more rear legroom, but it is 12" longer. The Fit's cargo area is much more versatile, as are the rear seats. Reliability I'd say goes to the Fit. It's getting better ratings, plus if you browse the forums, you'll see more issues with the Versa. The Fit is sportier with better steering, but the Versa is quieter and more plush. More standard safety features on the Fit, and it gets better MPG. Plus it's short enough that I can have it in my closed garage and still can drop down the retractable ceiling stairs! I really like the exterior length.
    Yes, there are a lot of plusses for the Fit. But two huge minuses, IMO:

* It's very hard to find one.
    * Poor ergonomics and adjustability for the driving position--doesn't affect all drivers, but is an issue for some (including me).

As for safety, the Versa out-does the Fit in the IIHS crash test scores (Good/Good/Good). ABS is becoming easier to find on the Versa also.

I am wondering if the relatively small hip room measurement on the Versa is due to its rather large (and comfy) armrests. It certainly feels wider than the Fit inside.

I am hoping the next-gen Fit addresses the driving position issue, and that Honda will send more Fits to the U.S.--or start making them here.
    I know what you mean about the inside width...maybe it's an optical illusion because it does seem more spacious in the back of the Versa.

And I'm only 5'8" so the driving position is too bad with me.
  • versameversame Member Posts: 2
    I think the Versa beats the Fit. The versa is bigger, nice, and looks better in style. The design is Well though of, it has alot of leg-room. The features on this car is GReat. The convenience package is awsome!!!!....I love My Versa... IT is the Best- well created car that was made out there.The price is reasonable too!!! i got mines for 15,600 which is not bad....

The only thing i dislike about my Versa is the steering wheel control, the wheeel is very loose, you have to hold on tight onto the wheel. Its hard to see out your back windows..The inside dashboard doesn't look to fancy either... its just Normal....and thats about it... otherwise.. I Love the car... LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

As for the FIT... i think the fit is pretty sportish.... but its small, i dont think it has more space. but HONDA are " Supposely better then NISSAN" So i know the most people will go towards the HONDA FIT. Honda FIT has a Nicer interior then the NIssan Versa... The Fit might keep the value of the car, better then a versa.....The versa is worth 16,000 Now, tomorrow its worth 9,000....
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    I especially like the Versa back seat perched high in the middle of the cargo area. It offers an interesting challenge any time something larger than a golf bag needs to be loaded. :)

Versa must be more popular than the Fit, as the Nissan lots around here are covered in them and Fits are hard to find.
    Honda must think the Fit simply will not sell! :blush:

Kip
    Other than the additional 2nd row legroom, which I agree is an advantage to the Versa, what else do you like about it over the Fit? You mentioned it being "nice" "better in style" and the convenience package, and I also agree that there are more conveniences on the Versa.

It was a toss-up for me between the Versa and the Fit, but in the end I bought the Fit because it really drove better. You mentioned the steering, and that was something that really turned me off to the Versa (as compared to the Fit). Plus with the Versa being one foot longer than the Fit, although there is 5" more rear legroom, the cargo space is sacrificed for that extra legroom, and I've taken my Fit on some long trips with our child in the rear in a carseat, and so we really need a lot of cargo space with the 2nd row in use, and the Fit excels in that area. The lack of antilock brakes also prevented me from buying the Versa back in November when I needed to buy a car.

And after reading the posts in both the Versa and Fit groups, it seems that while there are quite a few people that don't like the driving position of the Fit, I find it works for me. But on the Versa Forum, there seem to be a lot of categories for mechanical problems with the car, and you don't see nearly as many posts for mechanical problems with the Fit. The Fit seems to get a lot better ratings from different sources on quality. And while there have been complaints on both Forums concerning MPG, I get consistently in the mid 30s mpg in a mix of suburb/hwy driving, which is fine to me and is right in the EPA estimated range.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    I especially like the Versa back seat perched high in the middle of the cargo area. It offers an interesting challenge any time something larger than a golf bag needs to be loaded.

Versa must be more popular than the Fit, as the Nissan lots around here are covered in them and Fits are hard to find.
    Honda must think the Fit simply will not sell!

Aha, aha, Kip! :P
  • fitluverfitluver Member Posts: 198
    I especially like the Versa back seat perched high in the middle of the cargo area. It offers an interesting challenge any time something larger than a golf bag needs to be loaded.

Honda must think the Fit simply will not sell!

Kip

Funny thing is that Honda is being criticized for having low Fit sales. They only made, what, 40K or so for all of NA? (or was it the US?)
  • clonedcloned Member Posts: 4
    "And after reading the posts in both the Versa and Fit groups, it seems that while there are quite a few people that don't like the driving position of the Fit, I find it works for me. But on the Versa Forum, there seem to be a lot of categories for mechanical problems with the car, and you don't see nearly as many posts for mechanical problems with the Fit."

I've been following the Versa Forum since June '06 and they have really changed. Now, it seems that many of them are about customizing, etc., and fewer are about serious problems. Granted, serious are only serious when they happen to me.

I tried to look at the Fit and Yaris and the dealers never had any. The Toyota dealer suggested that the Yaris was not preferable to a Matrix. Saw a couple of Fits on the road and wasn't taken by the appearance (personal thing probably). Wasn't impressed by a Scion. I think I was looking for something with a few more perks and size. Ended up getting a Versa in February '07. After about 2000 miles am getting a strong 29 MPG using 10% ethanol gas. Not great but not bad.

Am impressed by the quietness of everything. Did have a small Mazda pickup and we still have a Honda Oddessy (our second) and the V is quieter than either. I also wanted more room in the garage and now have it.

All depends on what we are looking for....
  • travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    The Fit has a long list of customers waiting for their new vehicle to arrive. It's so popular that they can't keep them on the lot. Try calling a dealer and asking them when you can get one.
    They know it's selling. They're trying to keep up with the demand. Eventually they will, but unlike other manufacturers, they build them right the first time, so sometimes it takes a while to get them on the road. Others push them off the assembly line just to fill the lots, and end up with tons of recalls.
    It has nothing to do with build quality, but plant capacity. Honda decided to start shipping Fits to North America without increasing plant capacity, resulting in few units being shipped here--and shortages on dealer lots. Once Honda expands production capacity for the Fit, e.g. with its new plant in the U.S., it will be easier to get a Fit.
    Earlier poster have said the Fit has been successfully running around Japan and Europe for a few years as a JAZZ.

I haven't seen a Fit advertisement for quite a while. Chances are good there may be a major model change for 2008. Therefore we probably won't see many Fits here until that takes place.
    With fuel prices headed the way they seem to be, I believe the "Economy" car's time have arrived.

Nissan will likely figure a way to deal with the Versa cargo area, and Toyota will likely do some mods with the Scion and Yaris lines. I would expect Kia, Hyundai, Suzuki, and even some US., manufacturers to jump on this bandwagon.

Should be some interesting innovations coming along fairly soon, at reasonable prices. :)

Kip

Kip
    The current iteration of the Fit was first released in Japan in June 2001. It's about to become a six-year-old design.

Honda's gag order on the next-gen Fit has been very effectively enforced and adhered to, as only fragments of information have become available in Japan, and I am not sure which one of those is reliable.

However, the current stream of leaked info seems to suggest that the next-gen Fit will be released in Japan this fall, between September and November. Some are saying that the release will be either immediately before or during the Tokyo Motor Show, which for this year will be held between October 27 and November 11.

It is not very clear when the switchover will occur for the North American Fit. It has been rumored that the new Indiana manufacturing facility that is slated to go online in the fall of 2008 will build the Fit, but last month Honda announced that it would be the Civic that will be built there, at least initially. They said nothing about the Fit being part of the manufacturing plan at HMIN.
  • nthomasnthomas Member Posts: 40
    I have actually seen quite a few advertisements for the Fit recently, both on television and in magazines. I guess whether you see them or not probably depends on whether you're watching or reading things that target the demographic the Fit is mostly marketed towards.

The Fit has been around for several years in Japan and Europe. Being that it just came out here in the US, though, I don't think it's very likely that there will be a big redesign for 2008. I'd think they'd wait a little longer. Then again, you never know what Honda will decide to do.

When I was car shopping, I looked at several other small cars, but they either didn't have the features or the cargo space I wanted (Versa included), so I went with the Fit. As it is, there's not many of them around. I know a lot of people are frustrated with the availability problems. I love mine, and hopefully there will be more of them to go around before too long.
  • yenchingyenching Member Posts: 10
    I recently did a test drive on a Honda Fit Sport AT and a Nissan Versa AT (CVT). I liked the Nissan Versa for the horsepower and handling, but the cost was simple too much.

Nissan Dealer: The Nissan Versa AT (CVT) - without Anti-Lock brakes is $19,000 and no other accessories.

Honda Dealer: The Honda Fit Sport AT - with 17" RIMS and Wheel Locks - $17900

Note: These are prices are without taxes and other Dealer charges.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I checked carsdirect.com, and the Versa SL with ABS ans CVT is $16,425 (MSRP) and CarsDirect price is $15942 in 95014 area.

I tried selecting almost all options and it comes out to $19270(MSRP)/$18381(CarsDirect).

Have bought a few cars and every time there was at least one dealer who was willing to match CarsDirect price...
    19 grand for a Versa is high, even if it's an SL with CVT, if it is a plain SL. I priced one WITH an ABS sometime ago, and it was something like 16.5. Is this Nissan dealer putting a premium on the Versa? A lot of Nissan dealers are actually starting to sell their Versas below MSRP these days (whereas the Fit is locked in at MSRP and above). I'd go to a different Nissan dealer if I were you if this particular one does not move from this sky-high 19,000 price. That's too high.
  • yenchingyenching Member Posts: 10
    I also did the Internet Building of the Nissan Versa AT (SL hatchback) and the $19k was way off the deep end, since the BASE price on the hatchback SL was starting around $14k. When I asked him about the "way" above MSRP price, he said that this car maintains and pays for itself because there is no Timing Belt replacement and saves gas.

I guess I can understand the Timing Belt because this car uses a chain, but you still need to replace the Chain Belt, right? Anyhoo I'll be shopping for a Fit. Hopefully in June or July.
    I guess people don't normally say "Chain Belt". It is either Cahin made of metal, or Belt made of rubber. With chain, it should last as long as the car lasts. With belt, owner's manual tells the replacement at a certain mileage, say 90K.

Correct me if necessary, as I am no car expert.
    ... this car maintains and pays for itself because there is no Timing Belt replacement and saves gas.

LOL!! That's a great line! Best laugh I've had in a long time. :D
    Sure, "this car maintains and pays for itself because there is no Timing Belt replacement and saves gas." Uh huh. How ridiculous can you get?

It's not like they made improvements to the car after it was manufactured. The MSRP is what it is. Saying that they're charging more than MSRP because of certain characteristics of the car, whether or not they're true, is a load of bull.

Find another dealership that won't try to rip you off.
    Absolute BS.

By the way, the timing chain doesn't snap like a timing belt, but in the long run the chain stretches. So it's not a permanent thing like some people have you believe. If the chain stretches and therefore the timing goes off, it has to be replaced.
    Thanks for the info. Now I recall I read somewhere the chain stretches... It's just the chain will normally last longer than belt therefore there is not a definate replacement mileage given in the manual.

About 10 years ago, I knew the belt in my 86 Sentra needs replacement. I started looking for a coupon for the service, and the belt broke one day on the way home! I learned a lesson to never save small amount and end up with a big repair cost...
  • searching4itsearching4it Member Posts: 2
    I got a price locked in for both cars, a Versa 1.8SL with ABS and the "convience package" (power locks and windows) and the CVT. They told me $15,535 and they had several available in different colors. They fit sport I got quoted at $16,500 and would have to wait...perhpas too long for me as I am moving in a month. As discussed 1000 times here, the difference for me is two key points: 1) the back seats don't fold flat nor the front seat in the Vers. 2) I am moving to AZ and I am worried that the fit's 109 HP won't get up the mountains very well. Should I spend the extra grand for a smaller car with less HP or just go with the awkward storage ability? I know it's a personal preference, but I could go either way and just wanted some input. Thanks!
    Wow, that would be a difficult pick for me too! But a saving of $1,000 in this case would probably tip me in the direction of the Versa. I would not be overly concerned about the lack of HP for the Fit. Remember that in Japan 90% of the Fit come with an even smaller, 1.3 L engine, and people over there do not complain. Japan is 70% mountains, and a lot of the roads are very steep. The Fit does just fine. I once drove a 1.5 L version of the JDM Fit up and down a steep winding road in northern Japan, and had a blast doing so. No, it's not underpowered.

How often do you carry large, bulky stuff? If the answer is "Not often," then I think that the Versa's cargo area would likely suffice. We own a Fit, and my wife often has to carry a lot of big and long things (e.g. love seats). With the Versa, we can see that it would be a challenge. But that's just my wife, and not many people carry as much stuff and as often as she does.

This is a tough choice! In my household, I would probably pick the Versa in the same scenario and save $1,000, and my wife would likely still choose the Fit.
    I'm a little confused...
    You stated the Convenience package includes power locks & windows. According to the Versa website, power locks & windows are standard, and the convenience package includes:
    Intelligent Key keyless ignition and entry system
    Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System
    Leather-wrapped steering wheel
    Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
    Satellite radio pre-wiring*
    On top of that, adding that package requires you to get Satellite radio for $300, plus the Sunroof package for $600.

Just want to make sure you get what you're expecting, that's all.

So Versa base price is $14,550. Add CVT and it's $15,550. Add ABS, Convenience package (and all the things that have to go with it), and you're up to $17,400. Destination is $625, so the grand total is $18,025. If they're seriously offering you all of that for $15,535, that's a great deal.

Are the prices you got for both "out the door" prices? If one is including the destination charges and one isn't, that can eat up a big chunk of that $1000 difference. Just make sure you're comparing apples to apples, if you know what I mean.

I own a Fit, and I love it. I need the cargo space, as our other vehicle is also a small car. Having the Fit makes it really easy for me to move big stuff, and the Magic Seats are fantastic. I can't give input on going up mountains, because I live in Michigan :) That being said, I've never driven a Versa, so I can't really compare the two.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the HP of the FIT. Just comparing HP to HP in different cars doesn't tell you the whole story, especially with the Fit's VTEC. The MPG will go down as your Fit is going up the mountains, but that will hold true with the Versa as well.
  • bikedorianbikedorian Member Posts: 48
    "How often do you carry large, bulky stuff? If the answer is "Not often," then I think that the Versa's cargo area would likely suffice."

The Versa holds more than the Fit. A lot more. If the floor needs to be flat, it costs a couple of bucks to build a riser platform. I built mine to be open so that I didn't lose much cargo space. The front seat doesn't fold flat on the Versa and that sucks but I've carried six foot placks with the hatch closed so it's not a huge difference. You can still use the passenger seat for storage. You're not losing the space. It's just not as adaptable. Score one for the Fit.
    The Fit and Versa are quite different. Drive both for an extended test drive and I think you'll know which one is your winner. I liked both cars and the price was roughly equal. I choose the Versa bsed on my preferences. Know your preferences and the choice won't be difficult.

David
    If the floor needs to be flat, it costs a couple of bucks to build a riser platform. I built mine to be open so that I didn't lose much cargo space.

This is true, as in Japan they have an optional board to make the cargo area flat. The problem with it is that you lose the height of the cargo space (and a lot of cubic feet). One of the powers of the cargo area of the Fit is that it offers the height, both in the tall mode and all-flat mode. For my wife's application, the mode that she uses most often is in fact the tall mode, followed by the all-flat. Some of the stuff she carries, the Versa could not accommodate because in the standard setting it would be angled (no go with many of these things), and in the flat mode with an optional or homemade platform in place, there would likely not be enough height left.

Again, though, if you don't need to carry big stuff, maybe it's not that important to have the kind of cargo capability that the Fit offers. I could happily live with a Versa, but not my wife.
    "The problem with it is that you lose the height of the cargo space (and a lot of cubic feet). One of the powers of the cargo area of the Fit is that it offers the height, both in the tall mode and all-flat mode."

One more time. If the floor needs to be flat, it costs a couple of bucks to build a riser platform. I built mine to be open so that I didn't lose much cargo space.
    This means you lose very little. Your wife's application is all well and good but the Versa is a bigger vehicle with a lot more storage space. That's not my opinion. The gov't considers the Versa a mid-size vehicle. They base their designation solely on interior space. It's all usable space. It has a drawback in that the front seat dosen't fold flat. That's it.

David
    It's up to you to decide if you think the Nissan Versa and Honda Fit are equals in terms of reliability and quality.

If you get the Versa, make sure you get the optional antilock brakes.

Interior space is only one advantage of the Fit to me.
    But can you have both the flat cargo space and height in a Versa? And remember, it's not Versa that has the riser platform that you describe. It's YOUR Versa that has it. So by talking about that platform in your Versa, which by the way is a good idea, this discussion is no longer about the Versa and the Fit, but rather about YOUR Versa and the Fit. But for most Versa owners, that would not be useful because they would not be driving your setup, unless you try to market it or they come up with their own.

And if you used the JDM Tiida's luggage underboard which anyone can buy from a JDM accessory joint, you DO lose a lot of height. I know because I drove a Tiida in Japan.

By the way, the government's categorization of a vehicle is based on the interior volume, simply measured by the interior L x W x H at the respective maximum measurements. The government says nothing about the usable space. That's why a mid-size sedan cannot carry as much as a Fit but would still be a mid-size car.
    "If you get the Versa, make sure you get the optional antilock brakes."

For sure. They should be standard equipment. All the Versa's on my dealer's lot had anti-lock. Maybe Nissan is paying attention to the early press reports.

"Interior space is only one advantage of the Fit to me."

The Versa has 25% more interior space. That's only one advantage of the Versa to me. :->

David
    The Versa has 25% more interior space

I should have specified that the Fit has more cargo space behind the 2nd row and that's what's important to me for road trips with 3 pass.
    "I should have specified that the Fit has more cargo space behind the 2nd row and that's what's important to me for road trips with 3 pass."

Each vehicle has it's strengths and weaknesses. And what is one persons strength is another persons weakness. This is the case here. My passengers are generally tall. They can't fit comfortably in the back of a Fit. They have lots of rooms in the Versa. The ample room in the back seat is more important to me. The ample cargo space with the seat up in the Fit is more important to you. As I stated earlier, these vehicles are so different, they are going to appeal to different buyers. The basic thing they have in common is they're four door hatchbacks. After that, they separate quite easily.

David
  • searching4itsearching4it Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I would not get the convience package...just the SL that offeres the cruise control and power windows/locks. It also includes the ABS breaks. I went to a different dealer who was having a sale this week, and the same car he priced for $15,000. While going to honda, the fit sport remains always at $16,500. The prices both include destination fees but no tax or lisc. fees. So why wouldn't I go with the versa?

While I would def. build a storage rack to make the back flat, I also believe it would compromise the space. I do not intend to carry many people but with my work I'll be hauling equipment all the time. Some of it may be a bit large, and I am worried about the compromised space of the versa. Especially since I am moving accross the country in it, which would be better to pack an apartment in...a fit or a versa? I know the best would be a u-haul, but I don't have much to take as I'm just starting out and would buy the big stuff out there.
    "Especially since I am moving accross the country in it, which would be better to pack an apartment in...a fit or a versa?"
    The Versa has a lot more usable space but I wouldn't base a buying decision on what you'll use it for for a few days. Either vehicle will get you accross the continent. Buy the one you're going to want to drive for years after you get there. You'll never regret getting the vehicle that you really want. If you must base your buying decision on cargo capacity, get a Matrix. A bit more space than the Versa and all the features of the Fit. Just not as nice a vehicle IMO.

David
    Each vehicle has it's strengths and weaknesses

Agree. The good thing about these forums is bringing out the strengths and weaknessess of vehicles.

There's no point buying any vehicle that doesn't fit your needs, but when you have several that meet your needs it's time to compare. Based on your post, the Fit didn't meet your rear seat passenger space if your passengers wouldn't fit. For me, both the Versa and Fit met my needs, but the Fit just did so better.
  • absconfusedabsconfused Member Posts: 73
    This is the 64,000 dollar question! I test drove both cars and only on local roads so I cannot comment on highway driving. This is bad b/c i keep reading that the VERSA does not stay in a lane at high speeds. Please anyone, clarify this one for me if you believe this to be true or if I got it wrong.

I LOVE a nice interior cabin, I was driving a Protege ES 99 which had what I thought was comfortable plush seats and fabric on the doors, along with cruise control, map lights whatever!

Anyway, when I got into the Versa it was magical, a friend sat in the back seat and WOULD NOT stop raving about how great it was. I have come to read that VERSA gets kudos for comfort and the back seats. Anyway, the interior felt finished and dare i say "grown up". I only test drove it a short time and I am not a great evaluator of a car that drives! It drove! I did notice that the CVT makes some noise at moves from one gear to another in a sort of different way, almost like it was getting stressed out, but that's just me getting stressed out. Back to the passengers in the back, my passenger liked the seats also b/c they were high up.....stadium seats i think?

Anyhow, in Atlanta it has been nearly impossible to find ABS breaks. If you live in the South East and you know a dealer that has ABS in an SL model please let me know. To the poster who said his dealer had mostly ABS, you are LUCKY!! To the poster who said ABS comes with the SL, or a conv. package or whatever i read, no they don't.

Ok so anyway, I thought the Versa was a perfect car to go to work in. It was not until all the chatter about the Fit has storage been on my mind.

Buying a Fit for cargo is like when you buy your house, you want an extra bedroom for guests. You may never have guests but it is nice to know you have room for guests should they come! The first time I got into the Fit, I got upset with the interior, it felt cheap, but I was comparing it to what I knew. I got in again recently and I was fine with the interior as it was a heck of a lot nicer than the Vibe, but that's another conversation except to say you cant find a Vibe in Atlanta with ABS. Ok anyway, back to the Fit...when I drove it, I don't know if I was crazy but I thought it was loud. It's like the engine sounded like it was always revving, even to go down a local road. The salesperson blasted the radio to tell me I would probably have the radio on this loud and would not hear the engine. He was funny! Anyway I do not play my radio that loud.

I have come to have a deep respect for the FitSport b/c it has all the great safety features along with the alloy wheels for one price. While some might not get less than 16,500, there is some relief in knowing exactly how much money you will need for the transaction and that everything you could want or need is on the car except for MAP LIGHTS and mirros in the visors.

The problem with the fit is that at 157.9 or whatever inches, it looks sooo small and a bit odd. I am trying to love it, I really am. I just prefer the Vibe style better, at 170 or so inches, it is like a standard compact car length and the VERSA HB is around 165 inches so it looks a little more full than the FIT and the VERSA sedan at 173 inches or so looks like a regular car. With the sport package coming out in the 08 sedan, it could be really cute.

So then, Nissan is definitely willing to make deals and get the Versa's out the door for 07....They also have great financing right now here at 0.7 for 36 months. But, what about the spare bedroom??? HA! And, what about the ABS breaks?? These are two very hard questions for me. What it will boil down for me probably is the kind of deal I can get on the VERSA. I think there is one or two ABS break cars around Atlanta, if you are a salesperson, let me know....I got a quote for an ABS breaks HB but it was an S and I want the SL. I want the alloy wheels and cruise control.

I am tired of this very long period of examination. Due to the time I have spent, my choices have become limited on the VERSAS and there is a small window to maybe get a FITSPORT of a color I want if I could decide what color I want! The white is not bad and has a light pretty interior.
    The orange is definitely different, and the black looked AMAZING in a parking spot. The nose that I dislike on the car looked great in black! I think they changed out the wheels...maybe added larger ones? Def. different ones...I HATE the honda spoke wheels, hate them!!

If I end up with a FIT I know that I will be happy knowing that I can haul my bike and bookshelves or whatever else I purchase like people have mentioned.

If I end up with the VERSA I know that I will be happy b/c it is a comfortable upper end interior that will make my driving experience very comfortable (assuming i dont crash b/c the car has problems at high speeds?HA)

And, as I sort of stated the Versa feels more grown up but really only in the Sedan. The HB looks like a, well, HB....

I am not too worried about reliablity of the VERSA but early on I was....Honda, people say, don't have a great reputation for their automatic transmissions...is this true? Anyone out there with a Honda automatic with high miles and never any transmission replacements?

As I said in the beginning this is the 64,000 question and I agree with the posts that say if cargo space is your priority, the Fit is your car. I hate that we can't have it all!

I would prefer not to give my business to Honda as they just know customers are flowing in. They have little product knowledge at times and don't care if I come back or not...they did not even try to get my name or number or encourage a test drive. The Pontiac guy gave me the keys to a Vibe today and let me go off by myself without even my license. BTW if anyone wants a no nonsense really nice Pontiac/Buick contact let me know and I can pass on his name. I could not buy a car as they had no ABS. Well one but that's a long story. He has 8 08 Vibes in and none of those had ABS! Talk about Cargo, the Vibe has great cargo with a plastic cargo floor and the passenger seat folds down. Less standard features than Fit so there is no way to walk out at a Fit price and so you have to ask yourself why a Vibe and that's pretty much what i concluded except I LOVE the body. I dont like the Matrix body but I think it will be nice and new for 08

Well in conclusion, there is NO conclusion!
    thanks for listening from Smyrna, GA, just outside atlanta
    I got a quote with the options listed. Does anynoe know what this is 50S 50S listed as an option? Any wild guesses would be appreciated!

smyrna ga :)
    Aren't the Vibe and the Matrix the same car with different name tags?
    Well yes the Vibe and Matrix are the same except for the sheet metal and thus the appearance on the outside are what I call very different. I have not been in the Matrix to compare its interior. I dont like the Matrix body style even though it is popular and i read it will look like madzspeed in 08 but maybe that is an internet rumor?

In Ga we are subject to the Toyota SE Regional distributior fee or whatever it is called. It is money paid to a Toyota middleman and so I heard if you go to TN, they dont have it. Anyway, that immediately puts about 600 extra onto the car that you have that you cannot get removed so certainly if you negotiate on the price I guess it could help but who wants to go through all that when the Matrix is selling very well on its own...they probably don't want to be bothered. I have had some really awful Toyota shopping experiences in the past. A number of years ago a dealer had people in the lots and their job was to practically kidnap you into the backseat and drive you around to try and make you buy the car. This was material for a movie!!! When we were let out, they tried to deal on Corollas with chipped paint, told me it was no big deal and then after the negotiation told me it was for a lease after I told them ten times it was a purchase. Are we allowed to say names. It was a while ago but if we are allowed to say names, let me know and I will post their name here for Atlanta residents to be on the look out.

Another long answer, sorry! :)
    "This is the 64,000 dollar question! I test drove both cars and only on local roads so I cannot comment on highway driving. This is bad b/c i keep reading that the VERSA does not stay in a lane at high speeds. Please anyone, clarify this one for me if you believe this to be true or if I got it wrong."

I don't have time right now to cover your whole post but I can say that the Versa handles quite well on the highway. I drove 120 miles in 20 to 50 mph cross winds two weeks ago and I experienced no undue problems. With the Versa being so tall, that came as a surprise.
    One last thing. The Versa has much more storage space than the Fit. What is different is the layout but that hasn't been a problem for me even with a 62cm frame bike.

David
    The Versa has much more storage space than the Fit.

I have noticed that you like to make this statement. Have you ever carried anything in a Fit?
    " The Versa has much more storage space than the Fit."

I don't own either yet. Therefore can't challenge that statement, and understand that looks can be deceiving.

However I've been in both. The Versa has a bit more back seat room for passengers. Over all, measuring the total inside dimensions, the Versa may have more space. Problem is, for me it is not friendly and usable for carrying larger stuff because of the back seat perched in the middle of the cargo area.

Kip
    I dont really like ot make the statement about storage as you say :) The thread pretty much goes the same way anywhere, the Versa is a really nice interior or pretty nice especially the SL and the passenger seats in the back win HANDS DOWN NO CONTEST to the Fit. It is the difference between luxury and a camping cot, Please fit owners do not get offended. BUT with the back seats folding flat and the front passenger seat reclining to flat position (take off headrest to do this) you can carry a very long item. Simply put, the Fit has more verstaility in hauling things...that's all...it depends what you are looking for.

I got upset with the long term drive photo on edmunds of the air bag coming out of the compartment (sorry I dont have the link hand) and I went out and bought a Fit yesterday....I am glad just to have made a decision b/c the choice was VERY hard and I had hoped to have a Versa. Honestly if it had not been nearly impossible to find a VERSA with ABS I would have already probably gotten one but it's these little things that hold up a plan. And since I will be happy with the Fit b/c I already am I guess it's meant to be. The Fit was more of a "loss of luxury" adjustment from point of view of carpet quality, seat quality interior materials, no map lights, no passenger visor mirrors, less plush seats, etc ...I liked the VERSA's stuff much better but these are things that have already faded away even after just the drive home from the dealership b/c the car really drove great and I have taken a couple of months to mull over my perceived luxury loss. No offense to any Vera owners. If you are in the market right now,I think you can work a good versa deal.... :) Scion XD coming this week to Atlanta might be why inventory is up on the Fits though...we have not had this much inventory in a while..
    "Problem is, for me it is not friendly and usable for carrying larger stuff because of the back seat perched in the middle of the cargo area."

As I've posted previously, this is an easy fix and only cost a few dollars. By constructing two portable risers, we can have the storage space flat when necessary or deep well. It's great to have the option. Even with the risers in place, we lose very little storage space due to their open construction.

"The Versa has a bit more back seat room for passengers."

For folks my size, it's not "a bit." It's night and day. For little folk and kids, it's a bit.

David
    David, you did not answer my very simple "Yes/No" question. I therefore conclude that you do not have a personal experience carrying anything in a Fit.

I have no problem about your stating that the Versa has a good cargo space. It does. I know it personally because I drove a Tiida in Japan.

But if you do not have a direct experience with actually testing the cargo room in a Fit, which I am assuming is the case here, your statemewnt that compares the Versa with the Fit about the cargo room is merely conclusory.

Or maybe you are basing your opinions on the catalog data. If so, that is fine, but catalog datum are not often directly indicative of the usable space, which is the only thing that matters. And to know the actual usable space, you have to have used it. So my question to you: have you ever used the cargo space of a Fit?

I am open to your rebuttal.
This discussion has been closed.