Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• kexicaokexicao Member Posts: 30
    Does the independent give a loaner? How important is a loaner to you? I wish I have some one is an independent ex-Lexus master mechanic to work on my car. I'll bet the guy works on your regular maintenance in the dealership is not a 'master' mechanic. I think as long as you keep a record you should be fine.

KC
  • kexicaokexicao Member Posts: 30
    BTW, does anybody know if there is a good independent shop which specialize on lexus in Northern New Jersey?

Thanks,

KC
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    My local Lexus dealer recommended a long list of stuff to be done during my LS430's recent 45,000 mile service, much of which is not on the list of things to be done in the maintenance booklet. I don't know whether I am making a mistake or not, but I deleted most of the stuff that wasn't on the Lexus list. Although I have had a good relationship with this dealer, I wonder what qualifies them to recommend service beyond what the factory recommends.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think the profit motive provided the qualification.

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what we think your 45k service should cost for the preventive maintenance items recommended by Lexus.

Steve, Host
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    event today in Alameda, CA. I attended but my time was very limited. I test drove LX470, BMW X5, Land Rover and Volvo (forgot the model). To be fair, I didn't compare them thoroughly, only some impressions:

X5's interior is the worst, some cheap looking stuff around, but the large moonroof attracted my whole family. X5 drives fine, I think a bit noisier than the other two.

LX470 is wonderful all around, workmanship and attention to details seem to be obviously better than any other brand cars I've seen and touched. The quietest one for sure.

Land Rover is close to LX470.

When their 4WD were doing their job switching touque among four wheels, LX470 has the least noise.

Volvo was on another track that has much less ups and downs because I think it's not for seriou off-road. It's a good, quiet one.

There was no straight and smooth road for the above SUVs in this event so I couldn't compare their smoothness. I didn't compare all their features as everyone has limited time. So only simulated off-roading comparison.

A real fun half day for my family.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Ya know, at 30,000 miles, there is nothing your Lexus needs, IMO, other than an oil change, maybe a transmission service. The rest of the list is "inspect this, and inspect that" I believe. I wouldn't hesitate to have the independent shop do what needs to be done. But your friendly Lexus dealer will be keeping track, and nag you continually to have that 30,000 mile service done every time you go in. You can count on that.
  • bigdaddygbigdaddyg Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the 05's will be available and what changes are being made?
  • drich2drich2 Member Posts: 17
    hello to all-first time on this board. Just have a ?
    about my 2003 LX. The passenger doors stay locked as well as the tailgate once the ignition is turned off unless the driver hits the unlocked button. I realize this is a safety feature but can be annoying
    Is there something I can do to re-program or do does
    the dealer have to change it?

thanks for the help
    The only car I ever had that automatically unlocked the door when put into Park was a Cadillac. The rest of them all stayed locked unless you deliberately unlocked them. I doubt you can change that function.
  • docrock143docrock143 Member Posts: 18
    Yep, this can be reprogrammed by the dealer.
    Best,
    Alan
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    I heard on another page that there are no changes to the 2005 LX. I guess they are waiting to do it all when they release the new version.

On another note, the Sequoia seems to have many upgrades for next year. Captains chairs in back, new 280HP engine, etc.
    Same engine with more HP, or larger engine? Any info on Torque, etc.? How about a Lexus (and better looking) version of the Sequoia?
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    i actually read somewhere that the new LX or it's replacement is supposed to be built on the Sequoia platform. I read it on the motor trend website and I know they arent the most reliable source.
  • sponderellisponderelli Member Posts: 3
    has anyone heard of a source for a performance chip for the LX-470? I have an '04.
    Thanks!
    It certainly could use one...
  • jim_cjim_c Member Posts: 8
    When I purchased my '99, the dealer scraped the sticker off with a razor blade. It left scrape marks on the glass. I thought that the tint would have been sandwiched between the glass, but it did scratch it. The dealer replaced the window.
    I would have thought so too..... It's good the dealer helped out.
  • jbrauniljbraunil Member Posts: 3
    I've been told by Lexus service that I can't have XM Radio installed that will work through the system.(That is available only on the LS 430)
    Does anyone know if this will be available for the LX 470 in the near future?
    I know I can buy an add-on unit now, but it would be much cleaner to have it through the Lexus system.
  • fllexusfllexus Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know where I can find 2nd row seat covers for the gx470?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    LC & LX owners, HL and RX owners need your help. Many of these owners have posted complaints about the eardrum busting helicopter noise generated within the vehicle with a single rear window down and clipping along at hwy speeds.

From my own experience I know historically of this problem. My 68 and 72 Ford station wagons were subject to this effect but by simply lowering the rear liftgate glass slightly I could eliminate the effect.

I notice that the LC, and maybe the LX, have cabin airflow exhauster ports which are mounted above the "beltline", one on each side of your vehicles.

Do those exhauster ports and their "high mount" location allow enough cabin air outflow to prevent the helicopter sound in the LC and LX? Or are have you seen the same type of complaint?

For reference read:

Toyota Highlander Owners: Problems and solutions at post 1490 on...
  • spottedbassspottedbass Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the specifications are for the "hydraulic fluid" for the adjustable suspension system?
  • mikeivanmikeivan Member Posts: 42
    On my LX, those rear mounted "exhauster ports" are fake. However, the far rear windows can be opened slightly to eliminate this "flutter".
  • caltricaltri Member Posts: 5
    I am thinking about purchasing an SUV with a V8 engine, off-road capability, luxurious interior and a nice ride. Right now I have a BMW 330Ci coupe which I love but just doesn't give me enough room. I tested the X5 which doesn't have a very smooth ride and I didn't like the Cayenne's cheap interior materials. The only vehicles out there that really met my preferences are the Land Rover Range Rover, Lexus LX470, or the Lexus GX470. I didn't like the GX's swing out door, so now I'm trying to decide between the Rover or the LX. I think the Range Rover has good looks, especially the cool LED taillamps and the xenon headlights. The LX has neither of these, but it does have Bluetooth and DVD Navigation. I didn't try out the stereo systems, but I like the Harmon Kardon in my BMW, so I assume it's just as good in the Rover as the LX's Mark Levinson. Both vehicles seem about the same in terms of size, performance, off-roading abilities, pricing, cabin furnishings, and ride quality, although the dealer said the LX doesn't have rack and pinion steering. I was very inclined to go with the Range Rover because of its stellar looks, but I'm wary of the company's bad reputation for poor build quality and the fact that it's now owned by Ford, which is not exactly in stable financial condition right now. I wonder why BMW got rid of Land Rover even though it invested so much in the Range Rover, which I think is an excellent SUV? The LX has been out since 1998 and looks refined and luxurious but ordinary compared to the stylish and more modern Rover. However, Lexus does have a reputation for excellent build quality and luxurious interiors on par with Mercedes-Benz and BMW. Although the LX is based on the Land Cruiser, which has a distinguished heritage, the Range Rover has a more prominent one, not to the mention that it seems like Lexus may decide to discontinue the LX. Does anyone have any opinions on which would be a better choice?
    The LX470 does have rack and pinion steering. The Range Rover has somewhat better handling and acceleration, but the terrible reliability would rule it out for me.
    BMW dumped Land Rover because it never made them any money, and it hasn't made any for Ford either. Ford may also dump it next month. But Ford owning L/R shouldn't be a turn off, rather they are likely the salvation of the brand, given how they have taken Jaguar from a horrible unreliable car in the 80's and before, to #2 in initial quality and dependability as well. Your problem may be who Ford sells L/R to, if they do. Meanwhile, the RR is probably the best off road vehicle in the world - but it is trouble prone as said above. The engine is still BMW and the electricals are not up to par yet.

The Lexus is proven, and although not as attractive nor does it possess the cache the Rover does, it will aggravate you a lot less.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I had a phenomenal experience in the LX and recommend it highly. Lexus is not going to dicontinue it at all. They are going to make it larger and even more luxurious in 2006 or 2007. It is extremely well built and has top shelf reliability. I'm also not so sure the Range Rover has better heritage than the TLC as the latter is a legendary SUV. But the heritage would'nt influence me anyway. I'm more prone to better build quality, reliability and present day dynamics and no one builds them or has better reliability than Lexus these days. The other thing is I always beware a brand (no matter what industry you are discussing) that is undergoing switches in ownership. That scenario always causes instability in management and workers and the latter leads to poor product builds and development. The accountability is just lacking in such a situation and Land Rover always had the reliability issues anyway.

By the way I'm in the GX now because my wife wanted a smaller SUV. The LX size intimidated her otherwise I would have taken another LX no questions asked. We are also heving excellent experience with the GX. Another high quality vehicle but it is in a different class than the Range Rover and LX. Nonetheless it is still a highly luxurious and beautiful riding SUV.

Have you looked at the Tourag at all? It would be on my list to check.
    If you're into quality and reliability, you may want to check the boards on Edmunds about the Touareg before you put it on your list. They make the Range Rover look like a Camry by comparison.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    That bad huh. Such a good looking suv too. By the way my old boss took the cayenne and got it delivered to his home. When it arrived (via trailer) it wouldn't start. After 3 days at the shop the porsche mechanics couldn't get it to work either. They had to ship him another one. He had 6 months of a healthy vehicle and then the problems started mounting again and its been in the shop alot since. He's a type A personality who sent back an E-class because of problem after problem. The one that broke the camels back was when his brakes failed on the Henry Hudson parkway in NYC. He had the car towed to the MB dealer and they took him out of his lease. They do those things for you when they know you have $30-40mln banked. I had dinner with him last week and and told him that's why I always buy Lexus as those things just don't ever happen to you. Then he surprised me and told me he joined the club and bought an LX470 for his summer home on Cape Cod and said he now knew what I meant. He's now working Porsche to get out of the cayenne lease and into a 911 and will bring the Lex down here.
    You know, the Cayenne is a Touareg on steroids (and a supercharger), right? I rest my case.
  • stumped3stumped3 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experience this or can offer suggestions? I was going 65 mph on cruise control on my 2001 LX470 when I heared a loud pop and smoke coming from the left front wheel. I had it towed to a Toyota dealership. They said the bearing blew out. The seals blew and now they have to replace the bearing, hub and spindle because the heat damaged all of the above. They never seen anything like this before. Is this a manufacturing defect? Do you think it the manufacturer can do something like reimbursement? The vehicle has 94,000 miles on it and never had a problem, and I always take it in for regular maintenance.
  • riffmeisterriffmeister Member Posts: 6
    Anyone have experience with installing a TRD Supercharger on the 4.7L V8 for the LX470? I am considering this add-on for a 2003 and would be interested to hear any feedback on installation and maintenance. I would also be curious to learn if there was any notable increase in engine noise.

Thanks
    The TRD supercharger is no longer available for the LX470.
    " Do you think it the manufacturer can do something like reimbursement? The vehicle has 94,000 miles on it and never had a problem,"

Are you serious? How long does a manufacturer have to guarantee a machine against wear and defect? Forever? That's not reasonable. This is highly unusual, to be sure, but it's also hardly something you should expect Toyota to fix free of charge either at 94,000 miles, IMO. It's a machine, and even Toyota machines break once in a while.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • dale2dale2 Member Posts: 1
    VERY INTERESTING-
    My 00' LX 470 with 97000 miles in is a toyota dealorship presently with exactly the same problem! I was driving to work at approx 60mph when I heard the popping sound accompanied with tremendous vibration of the entire vehicle coming from the lt front wheel assembly making the vehicle almost undriveable. The toyota dealership ( rosner motors , va) told me essentially the same thing. That the bearing and hub for the lt front wheel needs to be replaced( almost $1000 for lab/parts). I contacted several lexus dealers and this is by no means part of the regular ' wear and tear' that they see with these vehicles ( especially a vehicle > $60G). I would be curious to know to know if the 2 incidences on this forum are just isolated occurrences.
  • eracereracer Member Posts: 1
    Here is the new LX 470 or what ever there going to call it. Has a simular look to the new Tundra pickup coming in the future. I guess it looks a little like the Dodge Durango. Wide and bloated. Must be the direction they are going to.

http://www2.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=3656
  • rivertreerivertree Member Posts: 2
    any idea when the new body style will hit the streets, my 99 just rolled over 100k
  • djt21djt21 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know the difference between the frame of an LX470 (ladder type) and the new Range Rover (unibody or monocoque), more precisely which of these two vehicles would hold up better in a collision? I was told the Lexus ladder type frame is very rigid and would subject its passengers to greater forces because of its resistance to deform, while the RR's passengers would fare better due to its design ability to deform to a greater degree and lessen interior forces. Also, accidents aside, which type of construction would be most durable for the long haul?
    How depressing...I had such high hopes they would improve on the looks of the current model but alas, they even managed to ugly it up much worse. Could Toyota/Lexus manage to hire a designer from somewhere besides Mercedes maybe? I guess I can scratch them off my list for another 10 years or so again. Thanks for the link anyway.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    NV:

If you believe autospies prediction of the next LX, then I have a bridge for you out here in the Bay area I'd like to sell you.

C'mon....That autorag pic is not even close to anything Lexus has in its future design scope. How about you take a look at the LF-S, LF-X, and LF-C concepts.

http://www.lexus.com/about/concept/index.html

These are the TRUE future designs for the Lexus brand. Anything else is pure speculation...
  • zanth3133zanth3133 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Used 2000 LX470 from a dealer. It is Riverock Green Mica with 81K miles, Nakamichi Stereo, no roof rack, no tow hitch. Lexus Dealer had it listed for 27.8K, I got them down to 25.7K. It also had a good service history, no major repairs on the Lexus dealer records. (By the way, thanks to the person who posted the message that any Lexus dealer can pull up the service records of any Lexus serviced at a dealer.)
    Never paid this much for a used car, but I'm counting on the truck giving me another 80K miles. Heck, the last new car I bought cost less than the used LX470!
    Do you think this was a good price?
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    I am also shopping for the LX and looking at an '02 or '03. I love the re-touches on the interiors for the '03 and later so I am holding out until I can get one at my price point, with low mileage.

At $25,5K for a '00 LX w/81K miles, that is a good deal. KBB has it at about $28K retail for "Fair", so maybe you did good afterall...

Congrats and enjoy your new vehicle.
    That's much better than a bloated PT Cruiser, oac, thanks.
  • tyee1tyee1 Member Posts: 2
    I too would be interested in the answer to djt21 question. I'm interested in both cars, but don't know which to choose. I like the Range Rover, but question it reliability. Like the Lexus, but its kind of underpowered and it facing its last year. Would like the G500 by Mercedes, but not convinced of its safety. I feel that the Range Rover would be the safest of the three.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    If the resale value of your vehicle is a variable in your equation, your decision is a no brainer. RR will lose value faster than a bullet train. And if your heart is into RR, you can go around the reliability issue by purchasing extended warranty.
    I looked at the GX-470 very closely yesterday, and it's a nice unit. Didn't drive it. If you really need more size & power, I recommend the Navigator, which I have. I've been very happy with that. It's been a great truck.
  • happydriverhappydriver Member Posts: 10
    My car was just burned to a crisp, with all our possessions and Xmas presents inside. We were crusing down the highway when the car just went from 70 to 0 and shuddered and bucked as it came to a stop. There was smoke coming from under the hood, and one of my kids got out and screamed "the car is on fire". My 3 sons and I bolted out of the car. You should see the pictures...the fire started under the engine compartment and became completely engulfed in flames before the fire dept arrived.

My Q. is: can I hold Lexus responsible for the contents (the car was still under warranty - about 41,000 miles and there was no apparent cause for why this happened). I have no homeowners policy to cover the contents of the car! Also, any other advice on how to deal with Lexus or my auto insurance company? I'm just thankful my family is alright, but I also want to be "made whole" from a financial standpoint and we lost so much in the car! Thanks.
  • thevladthevlad Member Posts: 1
    i am trying to decide between GX and LX '05 models, and would appreciate your advice. thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Omigosh! How awful! I'm glad no one was injured.

I don't think it's possible to know whether Lexus can held responsible until the cause of the fire has been determined. It's possible your insurance will cover some or part of the loss of property.

By any chance, have you had your oil changed recently? I'm just curious. Another manufacturer seems to have had a problem with it: (Honda CR-V engine fires)

tidester, host
  • happydriverhappydriver Member Posts: 10
    The last service I had on the car was the 36,000 mile check up a few months ago and Lexus changed the oil then. The car had about 40,000 miles on it now and wasn't yet due for an oil change or another service check-up.

Shouldn't Lexus replace the car under the warranty? I'm assuming the investigation will show that there was some kind of a defect because a car should not have a fire like that unless something happens, and nothing did...no accident, no collision, no driving problem.

Does anyone know how to hold Lexus responsible?