Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New CX-7 Owners Give us your report

Comments

• carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Got to play in my GT AWD in the rain today. :) Very nice, very confidence-inspiring. The car is fully broken-in now, and my normal m.o. is to occasionally man-handle the throttle. As such, I got the TCS light to come on once pulling out onto a notoriously slick road, but other than that, during an aggressive 30-minute drive, I never felt any front-back changes in power, traction, or anything else. This, like most other AWDs, is just a rock-solid vehicle. I only get two snow days a year, but I can't wait to try out the CX-7 then. Nicely done, Mazda.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    One of the nicest features is the backup camera. As this Consumer Reports article states, big vehicles and SUVs have significant blind spots - the CX7 is no exception. This camera has already proved beneficial, especially in parking lots. But it's also very handy backing into tight spots, such as parallel parking. With a little practice, I accurately know where my rear bumper is, in relation to unmovable objects.

The danger of blind spots
    The area behind your vehicle can be a killing zone

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/safety-recalls/mind-that-blind-spot-1005- /overview/index.htm
  • igloo03igloo03 Member Posts: 3
    I am curious what you found out about the problem, I've noticed the same on mine.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    One of the nicest features is the backup camera

I agree...its a great feature that is very helpful and its a nice safety item. But, don't use it to measure distance. I made that mistake already.

I would like to see back up sensors as an available feature on all models of the CX-7.
  • 1stmazda1stmazda Member Posts: 17
    I was going to wait a bit - but depending on what you hear from your dealership - I may get it in asap....

thanks

neil
  • pctechpctech Member Posts: 43
    Mine is silver - looks great in the lower right corner of the back window. Zoom-Zoom!
  • pctechpctech Member Posts: 43
    I've noticed the same "heated fresh air" problem and I also believe that this may be the reason some owners are getting poor performance from the A/C (the air is starting at this elevated temp, then the A/C has to work that much harder to cool it back down). The outside air SEEMS to be cooler if I crank the temp control as low as it goes but it's never as cool as the ambient temp. Mazda needs to look into this - I like cool non-airconditioned outside air too! :(
    Sensors would be nice.

I don't use the backup camera to "measure" distance. But the camera has a wideangle lens - not only can you see the edge of the bumper, but also the view behind. So, you can precisely determine where the bumper is, in relation to an object behind you.

Vince.
  • rethwilmrethwilm Member Posts: 24
    Will let you know. At the shop right now.
    They could not find anything wrong. I now have a 7:30 appt with the Maxda dealership to "recreate" the noise. Of course it is only my imagination that I feel a thud and a noise. They claimed to have called Mazda and have nothing on this problem. Not very pleased with the fact that they have driven my car exstensivly but I was told make sure I fill the tank back up to its original level. Wonder if they will do that to mine after a mechanic had the chance to try and recreate a noise that happens at only 4 mph!!!!">
    As I stated last nite, they could not recreate the noise. I had the service guy drive around the parking lot this morning and he felt the "thud" under his foot. I heard the noise. He agrees that there is something amiss. He made documentation of the "thud" and is going to pass it onto the service manager. Not much he can do right now, so I got my car back and he said to just monitor it.
  • igloo03igloo03 Member Posts: 3
    So has anything been done about this lately? Just curious, anyone else experience this?
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    I think I might be experiencing this "thud" as well. I've noticed that in the morning, when the car is cold, after I've backed out of our garage, turned around, and start heading down our driveway, as the car goes from 1st to 2nd, I can feel something under my right foot. Maybe it's also audible, but I most certainly feel it under my right foot. I haven't had it happen at the end of the day, when I get in the car to go home from work. It only seems to happen in the morning, going down our driveway (which is a slope). :confuse:

I have to add that I bet I could not replicate this sound/feeling in the dealer's parking lot; it truly seems to happen only first thing in the morning, going down the driveway.
    Got a solution to your problem...don't park in your driveway! :P

Vince.
    No, but the dealer does have it on record. I can feel the "thud" in the gas pedal now. I guess something will have to break before they do anything about it. It does not take away from the fun and the wonderful driving experience this car offers. Had it up to triple digits, okay well above(119 MPH) and it was as smooth as my Maxima and the engine was only turning 4100 rpms. Love it. Don't tell Vince cause he will have a snappy comeback.
    No snappy comebacks for fellow CX7 owners. :P But for all others, that's a different story - they're fair Game! :)

Vince.
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    Purchased 08/31 now have 900mi. Yep, milage sucks, but so what! Hard to wipe smile off my face when reluctantly coming home after a drive. (Reluctantly, meaning stopping driving, not because of my wife.) :)
    Live in Mid-Hudson Valley, so there are some hills that I seek out to drive on. Tech Pack is a real safety feature with back-up, and for tight parking. Too soon to talk abut mechanicals.
    Complaints:
    Could use some added storage space for rear passengers. (Wouldn't mind sacrificing rear door speakers for more pocket storage - Boom-Boxers will complain) Chintzyness shows in small items. Vanity mirrors should be lit. Front Pax seat should have more adjustments. Tech Pack should have more software available showing milage traveled vs. fuel left, etc. Should have 2 driver memory for mirrors, seats, etc.
    Cosmetically, outside rear looks a bit cheap. Remove Mazda and emblem and leave only CX-7, or just reduce the emblem as per Beemers. Relocate front license mount and reduce size of emblem in front as well.

Stay tuned, and thanks for reading this.
    N Kabak
  • stevenzozstevenzoz Member Posts: 8
    i own a mazda cx-7 sport awd in electric blue on sand with sunroof, bose package, sat radio.

has anyone noticed the climate readout on the stereo status information bar? on cars other than the grand touring, you can't use it... but its still there... you can see the outlines of it and everything... my friend has a base mazda6 and thier stereo readout panel is identical except, there climate control readout functions fully (on a base model!). my question is: is there some sort of way to make this turn on with my sport? reconfiguring wires, etc? it just really bothers me that its there and its not on. :cry:. their climate control is identical to mine, its not auto, its manual.
    Other forum readers, correct me if I'm wrong, but checked the owners manual for the GT.

Stevenzoz: You're talking about the ambient temperature reading and that feature is only available with the automatic climate control system, available with the GT.

Vince.
    Concur. Neither the manual nor the online Mazda spec sheet say anything about any trim level other than GT having the ambient temperature display.

FWIW, I have noticed that even on my GT there are a few pieces of the "information display" that never light up - I'm sure Mazda uses the same display hardware for all trim levels and all markets.

As far as wiring it up to work in a non-GT, that is WAY over my head and sounds a lot scarier that cobbling up an iPod connection. Even if you could just buy the sensor and slap it on under the hood, I don't know what you would do with the software.

-c92
  • ozzy24ozzy24 Member Posts: 3
    hey....could i get your opinion if a sport model/fwd with tech& preferred package /fog lights/ splash guards worth for $29450?? im a 20 yr old first time buyer =) w/ 15k rdy for downpayment..
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    Nope...

For what you're about to pay, you can drop another few grand and get a GT with the Tech Package / Bose Moonroof which comes with all of that AND the HID headlights.

29K for a Sport? You can do better... shop it a little. ;)
    concur with wj. Shop via internet and get price quotes. Send the resulting emails to other dealers and see if they can meet/beat other price quotes. If you find something acceptable, confirm they'll stick to their quoted price in the email.

Good luck. Vince.
    Go ahead and get AWD and maybe suffer on some other options. I am a simple person and the only options i wanted/needed were the Bose and the sunroof. WIth the sport that comes with power seats. Of course, personal preference comes into play. I am sure i would enjoy the options the GT/Touring has to offer so I don't want to sound like a hypocrite. I agree you should shop around. My dealer would not come off one penny from the sticker, but made up for it on my trade in.
  • afroceltafrocelt Member Posts: 5
    Hi all. After weeks of reading up on these posts and waffling between vehicles, My girlfriend and I decided on the CX-7. Got an Ice Blue Touring AWD with Bose/Moonroof and preffered equipment package. Price was 28,088 including dealer fee and before before tax, title, etc. We even argued in 3 years of oil changes and tire rotations at the dealership.

For those shopping for the vehicle, I spend time in the Milwaukee/Chicago area but live in Green Bay. Prices in Chicagoland are quite steep as this car is in demand. If you're willing to drive, both Van Dyn Hoven Mazda in Appleton and Holiday Mazda in Fond Du Lac have 10-20 on the lot and are willing to go wll below MSRP already (we got within 250 invoice price off of edmunds). I guess the best place to buy really is in smaller markets. :)
  • cx7rediccx7redic Member Posts: 18
    I bought a GT AWD 3 weeks ago. Nothing but compliments on every aspect of this car. I love the entire thing. I had 5 people including myself for a 1 hr ride and it was beautiful. Plenty of room (I am 6ft) no one had to alter their seating position to be comfortable. The amount of room is deceiving in the car. It drives like a charm and I absolutely love it. So far, only problem is the check engine light which thanks to Edmunds most likely will be the gas cap. Which, I have noticed since my first tank, i went to fill it up the first time and the cap just popped off, never really screwed in to begin with, and it seems to be that way,I am now going on my 3rd tank of gas.

Small nit picky items: no heated ext mirrors, no sunglass holder, wish the exhaust reflected what was under the hood.
    GTs have heated side mirrors standard, and that is the only way they are available. Has been cool enough to dew my CX-7 over a few mornings recently, and mine work great.

-c92
    Heated side mirrors activate when you turn on the rear window defroster.

Vince.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    on cars other than the grand touring, you can't use it... but its still there... you can see the outlines of it and everything

You can still see it because Mazda uses the same LCD screen in all models, it's just not active in the CX-7 Sport and Touring.
  • yellowozzieyellowozzie Member Posts: 13
    So who has the most miles on his or her CX-7? With only about 1500, I know it's not me....
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    Picked up the car on August 12th and am at 3900+, actually close to 4000; should hit that in the next few days.
    I've had mine since June 8th...
    I've got 13,654 miles on it!

ZOOOOOOM :shades:
  • yellowozzieyellowozzie Member Posts: 13
    Any problems?
    Fuel cap replacement, and the parking brake had to be adjusted.
    :shades:
  • smithdavismithdavi Member Posts: 3
    how did you know you had a parking break problem? light never went off or on??
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    Received a call from Mazda the other day asking if I would be willing to participate in a survey and said yes.
    Yesterday received a questionnaire on line which was rather detailed mostly about problems that I may have found and under what conditions did I find them, meaning how many miles did the car have when problem arose, etc.

Found that my particular problem regarding shift points may have to do with how warm the engine was when I manually shifted because the selected shift points were not correct for the way I drive. The question was asked If the engine was cold, meaning having been driven for less than 15 mins. after sitting for six or more hours. I told them I would review it more carefully and see if I felt that I had to manually shift when the engine was warmer.

They also wanted to know what improvements might be needed. SOOOOooooo.... I am asking the moderator to open a new section for suggestions. I will review them and pass them on to Mazda.

NMK
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This is what you're looking for: Mazda CX-7- What would you improve?

It hasn't been used in a while but this a good time to dust it off! :)

tidester, host
    On an incline the car would move after the brake was applied. The parking brake would almost go to the floor and still not hold the car, not a design flaw, but just needed to be tweaked in the service bay.

It had been that way since I bought it, I just never mentioned it to the service tech, and when I did, it was an easy fix! ;)
  • 022540022540 Member Posts: 31
    Nov. 5th is our first month aniversary.
    Last month we went on a vacation in the CX-7 and drove all over the state of AR. Talk about fun to drive. We love everything about the CX-7.
    The styling, inside and out. The seats are really comfortable.
    Plenty of power to pass especially on back roads which came in handy more than once.
    The most pleasant surprise was the gas mileage for the whole trip. We drove a total of 1596 miles and used 63.gallons.
    We averaged right at 25mpg over all. The low on the trip was 21.7mpg. We had over 25mpg on several tanks.
    The breaks are extremely good, it handles like a sport car but has the space of an SUV. We also own a 2006 Honda Ridgeline and love it also. It doesn't make the mileage that the CX-7 does.
    Over all one needs to consider your needs and take a hard look at the CX-7. It is truly a new and great choice for small families or retired folks like us.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Do you drive the AWD model?
  • 022540022540 Member Posts: 31
    We have the 2007 CX-7 Grand Touring with Technology Package,Sirius Satellite Radio, Compass/auto-dim mirror with home link, Preferred Equip.Package, Splash Guards front and back with the 2WD.
    We have the AWD with our Honda RTL/SR Ridgeline Truck.

It gives us the best of both worlds. We really love the CX-7
    which is more fun to drive, especially when you consider we gave up a 1986 300ZX with 60,000 miles in mint condition.

I posted earlier that we had made just over 25mpg on a 1596 mile trip. Tonight I filled up the CX-7 with all in town heavily congested traffic and still made 18.2mpg.

My wife is estatic over the CX-7. She is starting to drive it more and more and gain confidence. The technology package was a little over the top for both of us, but we are learning the navigation system.
    I was weary of buying a Mazda. Not for any particular reason, but after owning Nissans, Acuras, and Hondas, i always thought Mazda to be the lesser of those brands. WRONG. I bought mine the 1st week of Sept. The week before i went to the Acura dealer to buy an RDX. They wouldnt budge from the sticker, so I wouldnt buy it. I discovered the CX-7 and its blown my mind since. Grand Touring w/bose n sun,black cherry on beige, right now I have mud flaps, hood visor, cargo strip on the bumper, compass w/homelink, and waiting for roof rack & ski carrier. I couldnt be happier. 1500k miles on, and its a charm. For the money, this vehicle cannot be beat. CANNOT BE BEAT. i bought mine at invoice of 28,500, which blew the Acura away, has the same features, better steering and breaking, and neck snapping looks. Its a beautiful blend of Car and SUV. So far ive had no problems what so ever. Cheers to Mazda for this one
    Congrats!

Now, just so you know, don't be surprised if the CEL pops on. Well documented elsewhere on this forum, is a problem with the Gas Cap. Defective design and a simple fix - dealer replaces under warranty.

Everyone who's posted about that problem has also commented that Mazda service, regardless of where they live, have been superb. To me, top notch service is worth it's weight in gold.

Vince.
    whats funny is my check engine light did come on, around 700miles, but it wasnt for the gas cap or anything like that. THey told me it was just an erratic sensor reading.

my only suggestion or rather observation, is that at 60-65 mph, i get the feeling the engine is in no-mans land, nto sure if it wants to speed up or slow down, but i never feel like it runs steady and even without wanted to shift. Once at 70-75 it feels much more compfortable and steady. Anyone notice this?
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Does anyone experience turbo lag from a stand still or torque steer? I am interested in a CX-7 and did some research. Got quite a few different answer on these 2 issues. What is your experience? I am thinking about a 2WD with GT and Nav.
  • vx23hokievx23hokie Member Posts: 10
    You're gonna have turbo lag with any turbo engine. With the CX-7 once the exhaust flow picks up, the turbo really kicks in and puts you back in your seat - it's pretty cool. I haven't experienced any torque steering. The car remains very straight during acceleration.
    I have about 1700 miles on my Cx-7 and have noticed the same sensation at 55~63 mph or so. In "D" driving, and depending on the incline of the road, the engine shifts between 5th and 6th, more or less off and on. Below 55, it pretty much stays in 5th, above 62 mph, it stays in 6th gear.

Does take some time to get used to the driving characteristics of the 4-cylinder turbo. I think over some more miles, the shifting between 5th~6th will be kept to a minimum as I learn to more effectively use the engine rpm's.

Last fill up, achieved 18.5 mpg on underinflated tires, so I think maybe 19 or even close to 20 is possible in town with light foot driving and the tires aired up to 37 psi.
    Why not just let the engine/transmission do what it's programmed to do?

After all, that's why you bought an automatic transmission, yes? Of course, you get manumatic which in my mind, it's use is the exception rather than the rule. If you're into constantly shifting, then why get an automatic?

For me, at my age, I've gotten tired of havin' to constantly shift gears. Besides, I drink coffee, so if I have a cup of coffee in hand, how can I drink coffee and shift gears at the same time, and hold onto the steering wheel? Almost impossible in rush hour traffic. Life's to complicated to worry whether or not the CX-7 is using 5th or 6th gear. ;)

I like my zoom-zoom, without having to work for it.

Vince.
    Yes, I was using the scenario of standard driving in "D" while explaining the automatic shifting between 5th and 6th gears. I only use the "tiptronic" mode about 10% of the time, and while it is a neat feature that shows off Mazda's racing heritage, this turbo engine has so much power that it isn't really needed at all.