Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Sunfire Convertible Top Problems

ludelude Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Pontiac
I have a '98 Sunfire Convertible. The bottom flap is off completely from the window. Apparently the dealer tried to "fix" the problem instaed of doing it right. Any ideas on how to repair without having the entire top replaced?

Comments

• rbondoorbondoo Member Posts: 1
    you people are scaring me, i bought my wife a 1998 sunfire and she loves it. one question though, every where i read it states electric conv. top WHERES THE DAMN SWITCH its got a motor cause its hard to open and close manually, any help?
  • laxking17laxking17 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 97' but they are both the same generation so im gonna go out on a limb here and say the little handle above the rearview mirror. to work it press in the button and rotate the handle down then press it back gently towards the back of the car to get the top down, press it forward to put it back up
  • valdanevaldane Member Posts: 2
    I have a '97 and I'm pretty sure that there's also a switch on the left side inside the trunk that can switch the top from manual to power. If you have to raise and lower it manually try the switch, but the motor may be gone.
  • wadeowenwadeowen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 sunfire. The top wont go up or down. I can hear the electric motor but it wont budge. I have to put it up and down manually. Anyone know exactly where and how to get to the motor. I am thinking it might be burned out or mabe the gears are broke.
  • mnfiremnfire Member Posts: 1
    One possibility is that the shear pins on the motor shafts are broken and need replacing. I had one snap on one motor and was lifting with the other for a bit until I figured it out. It can be done yourself, but I went to a shop and it took them about an hour and a half to remove the motor and put it back in. Of course, they didn't do the shear pin part, but I took it to a machine shop that took care of putting in the pin. I tapped the gear back on and put in the locking washer and it's been working perfectly since.
  • peekabo7peekabo7 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know who replace or fixes convertible tops in Maryland?
    I am having a heck of a time finding someone and my top is loose from the window.
    Help please
  • slackermanslackerman Member Posts: 43
    Paymer & Phillips on Rt 1 in Laurel did my replacement top a few years ago. They seem to know what's going on.
    Did Paymer and Philips work?
  • peekabo7peekabo7 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't contacted them yet I was only in town for a week and could not get it done that quickly.
    I hope to find someone in the fall. Thanks for the input and help.
  • stein2stein2 Member Posts: 1
    hi i just purchased a 98 convert that the top dont work. i dont hear the motor or i cant find where the motors are any ideas. also the power mirrors dont work. i have checked fuses and i cant find any section in the repair manual i just bought either. so i could use a little reserch help where can i find out answers? its a pain to raise and lower top by hand. it has to be a motor ar a electric problem. if any one has had this problem please help me out asto where to look or how to fix. thansk ron
  • young_gun_2008young_gun_2008 Member Posts: 1
    The bottom pece of the window is hanging and the fabric is completely detached does anyone know how to reattach the window? :cry:
    Is this the rear window? I had to have my top replaced when the rear window came out after just ten years! However, I recently read a glue called Sikaflex-221 might work, as might Sikaflex-255FC and 521UV (According to Tech Nerd from Corvette Magazine). If I had it to do over again, I would try the glue route. After all, the top is already broken. How can it get worse? My new top took several days to install, then it had to be replaced because the installers left in a staple which poked a hole through the top. Now the headliner isn't staying connected to the top. What's worse, this was the most competent shop I could find. Most couldn't even find a part number.
    It's a pity we can't post pictures of our cars in this forum.
  • bigwill2455bigwill2455 Member Posts: 2
    i have recently bought a 1999 pontiac sunfire, and the a/c is not blowing cool air. The windows begin to work and slowly stop. any suggestions, or anyone have the same issue that knows how to fix?

william
  • ludelude Member Posts: 2
    Okay, got the convertible top issue squared away! Now... here's the new issue! Day time driving lights do not work... not a fuse. Changed bothe headlights, thinking that may solve the problem. No sirreeee... now my driver side headlight is dim, and still no daytime running lights! Help... I LOVE this car, but its making me crazy!!! :P
    I have no idea. But my mechanic is part of the org below and I've never had trouble with them.

http://asashop.org/

BTW, I have a '96 Sunfire convertible which they are keeping running far longer than I ever expected.
  • tarheeltomtarheeltom Member Posts: 7
    If you are talking about the rear window, this is a common problem. There are three easy solutions.

The first is to take the car to a glass shop. They CLAIM to have an adhesive which will re-adhere the fabric to the glass. This may, or may not work, but it's quick and cheap, and worth a try.

Another solution is to go to the dealer and buy (order) the rear window insert. This is the fabric which the glass is attached to, and includes the glass. This insert is attached to the rest of the top, and can easily changed by any top shop. This solution has the advantage of keeping the read heater defroster working.

Another solution is to find a GOOD top shop and have them install an old style flexible rear window. Most shops will tell you that this part doesn't exist, yet there is one installed in my car. The disadvantage there is that you lose the rear window defroster. By the way, my shop installed this rear window insert in about three or four hours. However, this needs to be done on a warm day.

A tip on finding a GOOD top shop. Go in and ask to see their box of staples. The top is attached to strips of wood on the car using staples. A good shop will understand that these staples need to be stainless steel staples. Other shops try to save money by using regular steel staples which rust. One way to find a top shop is to check with other auto upholstery shops. These guys all know each other.
This discussion has been closed.