Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Engine Failures

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
Discuss the problem here!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• c2rosac2rosa Member Posts: 76
    NISSAN RECALLS NEARLY 100,000 VEHICLES .... According to Edmund's Inside Line, Nissan has recalled 96,800 2006 Altimas and Sentra SE-Rs because of a risk of engine fire.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said that the 2.5-liter engines in the cars "may experience excessive oil consumption as a result of improper performance of the piston rings," a condition that could lead to an engine fire.NHTSA said if engine oil is not maintained at least at minimum levels, engine damage is likely and a fire is possible.

Owners can contact Nissan at (800) 647-7261 or NHTSA at (800) 424-9153.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Read it here:

"In a separate announcement, Nissan North America Inc. said it would recall 200,000 Altima and Sentra sedans from the 2003 model year to fix a faulty sensor that can cause the engine to shut down in routine traffic."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060713/AUTO01/607130390/1148- /AUTO01
  • sharnsharn Member Posts: 2
    I purchase an 06 altima/lemon in Feb of 2006. Then came the recall letter sometime in May.Have not heard anyting since from Nissian not even the dealership. Been waiting to see what Nissian is going to do to correct there problems. They seem to be stailling on this matter. Feel as if I have brought a lemon. Driving this car around with the safety issue that it may caught on fire. What are they waiting for? Read once that they were going to replace the motors by internet awhile back. Nothing is happening. Looking for someone to do a class action lawsuit againt Nissian Corp. Several other recall going on this same model of car. :confuse:
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    sharn, exactly what problems have you noticed with your car engine's operation that leads you to believe it has the faulty piston ring problem? (Not all of them do.) Have you contacted Nissan on their national toll-free phone number as a follow-up to Nissan's letter campaign for information about where your car stands for replacement engine consideration and, if applicable, roughly when?
  • bigtuna1bigtuna1 Member Posts: 5
    I too am the proud owner of yet another Nissan lemon. I have the sentra SER V Spec. 2.5 L Oil eating pile of crap. I too filed with the BBB. Hearing date is 8/30/06. BEWARE OF NISSAN!!! Tried to scam me! If you bring it in for the oil check MAKE SURE THEY PUT IT DOWN AS A CHECK BECAUSE OF THE RECALL HAVE THE SERVICE GUY CHECK THE OIL IN FRONT OF YOU!!!! and get your receipt. Nissan to date has no new motors re builds yes.
    Nissan is going to take the cheapest way out. Second letter went out Nissan still has no solution. I have been offered a motor Nissan said it would expedite sending it to the dealer. That was the end of June. Still no word. Second offer for a motor came just prior to arbitration with BBB Nissan stated it would be available in 90 days. Give me a brake they were quick enough to take my cash but left me hanging. Also the oil blowing back through the exhaust will damage the converter. That's why they tell you not to over fill your oil. If they change your motor make sure they change the converter also. If I don't get a buy back through the BBB I'm going to park the car IFO the dealership with the biggest signs I can buy stating "ASK ME ABOUT MY NISSAN LEMON AND HOW NISSAN TREATS IT"S CUSTOMERS!!! I will keep you all posted.
  • golfrjgolfrj Member Posts: 4
    Sorry to hear about YOUR Nissan, I too own an Altima with the engine oil consumption problems (going thru my 2nd oil consumption test, first one dealer forgot to mark the dip stick (punch) so test was invalid).. What REALLY concerns me is the marking down of new Altimas returned for rebuilt engines by the Dealers.. See post #718 in Prices Paid, the Dealers are reducing the value of our cars by offering a $1500 discount on cars that were returned to Nissan for engines.. I feel this might be used as Lemon Law grounds.. Somehow this is just not FAIR to those of us who bought cars in good faith.. Anyway I wish you all the best in your quest, let us know how you make out..
  • slavemomslavemom Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased the 06 Altima two months ago THREE days after purchased it started leaking AC water on drivers feet after driving about 150 miles straight.Have been in the shop NUMEROUS times and they do not know what is causing the problem.I even took photos to show them where water is.They say they are callin Nissan engineers.Has ANYONE else had this problem.
    I'd almost bet there's a kink or glop of undercoating overshoot clogging the evaporator/heater core case drain tube. If the car sat awhile before sale, there's also a possibility insects or small rodents nested in the evaporator/heater core case and plugged that drain tube from the inside. The fresh air intake grill at the windshield bottom give the li'l critters a straight shot inside and it's amazing what a determined mama titmouse can fit herself and her pups through after a little chewing on the plastic.
  • the_ice_manthe_ice_man Member Posts: 3
    Hello All ,
    I have been reading some of your posts and for sure there are some pretty unhappy people here. I am presently in the final stages of purchasing an 06 Altima 2.5 SE Special Edition. I now own a Pathfinder which has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I have talked to the local dealer and I have been reassured that the issue of the oil consumption will be resolved fully before I ever take possession of this car. The deal too is unmatched by Honda or Toyota, almost $4,000 difference in price out the door. They have an 84 month extended warranty as well as free oil changes/tire rotation for life. That is pretty hard to beat. My feelings are that Nissan is a company that has been around for a long time. They generally produced some pretty remarkable vehilces and this oil issue will be resolved. Unless I missed the boat here I think they have covered most everything and I'm getting quite a good deal.
    Trust but verify... Keep tabs on oil consumption at least weekly during break-in. ;)
  • slavemomslavemom Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info..I just got it back AGAIN from the shop they say they went in and insulated everything so it should not leak again.SO we shall see.I am going to be sure to ask them if they checked to make sure there was nothing plugging the drain tube as I have asked them that before as that is what we thought it might be.THANKS AGAIN
    HEY it's the big tuna. Just to let you all know i WON MY CASE AGAINST NISSAN!!!!! NOW THE RATS HAVE TO BUY THE CAR BACK!!! To Quote the arbitrator" The oil consumption problem is clearly a manufacturing defect and the vehicles value has substantially impaired." In New York the lemon law is clear. Take your car to nissan have them do the oil check. Request they repair the car. Get the documentation for three or more visits. Send the certified letters to the dealer and Nissan North America requesting a full refund. They have a set time period to fix the car 30 days. That's FIX THE CAR!!! not install a rebuilt motor. That lowers the value of the car. File with the BBB arbitration, fill out the paperwork send it back get a hearing date and present your case. Nissan dosen't have a leg to stand on. Anyone with questions send me an email
    "Sucker" I bet the salesman loved you. Check your new car I bet it has a used motor. It should have a R stamped on it for RE CONDITIONED in other words USED. Nissan is going to go the cheapest way it can. Drag its feet and promises you the world. The cars are LEMONS! Nissan also does not address the converter issue with the oil consumption. Excess oil passing through the exhaust damages the converter. That's not covered in the warranty
    See my other posts don't take Nissans BS line fight back!
    )) "Excess oil passing through the exhaust damages the converter. That's not covered in the warranty" ((

Something sounds fishy, here. Catalytic converters are covered under Federal law for 8 yrs./80,000 miles regardless of failure cause.
  • keb8278keb8278 Member Posts: 2
    I, too, have had a 03 Altima lemon for the past 3 years. I have had numerous issues with the car not starting. The car has been back in the shop 7 times for this issue and each time the dealership said that I was "flooding the engine." After contacting the service manager and telling him my issues, he was like "what do women know about engines and cars?" I have since gotten a new starter which did no use. Last week the car was back in again for this recall. Let me warn you... my engine has not been right since they reprogrammed the computer. It is revving really high and can't go without struggling over 55 mph. Therefore, it is going back in.

Finally, let me alert everyone to the recall for the subframe. I live in new englad and the entire thing corroded in less than 2 years. I have a new subframe but my brakes corroded prematurely and now there are tons of rattles. I feel that I am driving a tin can. Best of luck to everyone with lemons like mine.
  • missvholmesmissvholmes Member Posts: 2
    Could this be similar to a problem I am experiencing now. I own a 2004 2.5S and this year I have brought the car in for a repair where there is no acceleration from the gas petal when in driving mode. This means, while doing 65 miles on an interstate (aka: freeway), the car looses acceleration but yet never shuts off. It's like your car just stays in a parked state even though you are pressing the gas petal to the metal.

I have been told that a recall of the power valve would solve this. However, the power valve has since been replaced, and now its happened again this past Friday, 9/8/06. I am currently in a loaner car at this time until further diagnosis. My husband seems to have noticed that there is damage to my original, like new, Nissan spark plugs, which could be a sign that there is something loose in the engine that is hitting the spark plug and causing unusual damage to my plugs, and as a result may be the cause of other problems that Nissan is not yet ready to admit to having with my model vehicle.
  • missvholmesmissvholmes Member Posts: 2
    My check engine light in 2005 turned on due to a bad sensor in the muffler that had to do with emissions requirements. I had it replaced and it was covered under warranty. Now I'm reading about a new sensor that is bad on altima years 2003 and higher, that causes the engine to go out during routine traffic. This sounds similar what has happened to my car over this weekend. My 2004, Altima 2.5S, looses power from the gas petal and stays in a parked mode during normal driving. I brought the car to the dealer approx. one month ago for the same problem, and they told me it was caused by a power valve recall. My power valve has since been replaced and the problem happened again this weekend. Now, a Nissan announcement says its a faulty sensor. What do you think? My husband noticed unusual damage to my original Nissan spark plugs that may be the cause of something loose in the engine striking the plugs. If this is the case, how many other 04" or newer Altima owners have noticed this damage to their spark plugs? I'd be interested to know. This can be a problem that may cause the need of a new engine that Nissan may not want to admit to yet.
  • bluchsbluchs Member Posts: 1
    I am going through the same thing in PA and will take any info you can get me on the BS Nissan is pulling. I am going through the BBB and not getting anywhere!
  • keb8278keb8278 Member Posts: 2
    I had that sensor replaced as well. The car has not had any issues with starting since the replacement. However, since the new sensor, my engine has been running at higher RPM and has difficulty with acceleration. It actually groans at higher speeds. I just got the car back from the dealer and they have no idea what is wrong with it. They flushed my fuel injector fluid with no help. I am going to ask about the spark plugs and will post if I get any response. Good Luck!
  • zapogeezapogee Member Posts: 1
    Oil consuption is due to a bad rod in Nissan's engine. Typically its the #2 rod. They know about the problem and are doing thier best to keep it under wraps. I got hold of a bad one and the mechanic was a good guy and told me about the problem. I'm now on my second engine in a 2005 Altima and I'm hearing the tell-tale ratteling again. Time for engine #3.
    I can (and do) believe insufficient oil pressure would result in a rod knock, but I don't understand your statement that a rod knock would cause loss of oil from the engine. Loss of oil happens either through burning (worn piston rings and/or valve seals that allows excess oil into the combustion chambers to be burned) or outright leakage from various causes.
    Well I went ahead with my purchase of the 06 Altima 2.5S SE. I did not purchase one of the vehicles that was built prior to the the oil consumption problem. I took delivery of an August built car that did not have the extended 84 month warranty. As I had said earlier, Nissan has built some pretty good cars over the years and I really could not see loosing total confidence in this car manufacturer. The car I bought is great and I just love it. Nissan will respond and handle this issue, there aren't going anywhere. Good luck to all ,,,
  • padraikpadraik Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    I've been researching the Altima 2.5S and the Impala LT and we've pretty much decided on the Altima. However, after seeing this oil consumption problem I'm a little leery. Where\how can I find the build date of the car? Engine sticker somewhere?
    Thanks!
    The built date is found on the manufacturers sticker located at the bottom of the drivers side door post. Just open the drivers door and you can see it down by the running board area.
    Documentation is the key. Have nissan do all the oil checks. Request a new engin every time you go in. Find a copy of the mugninson act. read it, understand it and apply it to your case. Check with your state to see what the lemon law says. Follow it as a road map to a buy back. It worked for me. I was a die hard nissan fan untill my dealings with them this time. If they offer you a motor make sure it's not a rebuild because thats what there using. I won my case and I still have to chase down the tax money and what I payed for the extended warranty. Don't fool yourself its a lot of work. But in the end I'm not stuck with a lemon. I'm going to get a honda next time.
    As a (Proud?) owner of a 2006 Nissan Altima I am currently going thru an engine replacement for the oil consumption problem.. Has anyone out there been thru this already, and are you pleased with your new (Rebuilt) engine's performance?? Thanks for your replies, Jim
  • sharnsharn Member Posts: 2
    Hi! This is sharn06. I just wanted to say that I am so happy for you. I hope that I can have the same luck as you. I did not know what to do. I will for sure contact the BBB tommorow. I got my recall letter severals months ago and have as of yet to hear anything else. Was about to give up. Several weeks ago I started to smell if something was burning in the engine so I went in for an oil change. Could smell it thur the vents in my car. Tech.brought the car back to me as if everything was ok. I am still smelling this burning smell. Today I notice as I had the car in idle park that there was smoke coming from the back of the car as I looked thur the window. It is not even cold yet where I live. Got out to check when I got out to check when I got home and it stopped. Can still smell burning and engine sounds as if it has a ticking sound going on. I will call and go to the dealer to let them check. I will start to keep a record of this. Sorry that I ever heard about Nissian. But,again Congradulations! SIGNED SHARN06 OWNER OF A LEMON
  • rahnrahn Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at replacing my 96 Nissan Altima (been a super car) with a 2006 model. Great deals out there on the 2006's with the all new 2007 due out in less than a month. Then, I learned of the recall...ugh. How do you identify a vehicle affected by the recall?? By VIN#?? By build date?? What are the VIN#'s, build dates, etc. of the vehicles that were recalled. I went to the NHTSA website, but no help. I would like to learn this info on my own, rather than being dependant on the dealer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!!
    I believe past posts indicated the problem engines were installed in cars built through February-March of this year. If the car(s) you're interested in currently on dealer lots show a build date later than that, I'm sure their engines have the updated piston rings and any other appropriate modifications. I'm not positive where the builder's plate with build date is located on Nissan Altimas, but try the driver's front door, door jam, or lower center post. In any event, dealership personnel will be able to show you where it is and/or verify the build date through their delivery records.
    Hello All, Just a few lines to let everyone know how PLEASED I am with my replacement engine from Nissan, the work was without any problems and done in 2 days total.. My dealer Empire Nissan in Ontario, Ca did a Fine job and was very pleasant doing it, the engine itself is much quieter and seems to be running Great.. If your going thru this problem (engine oil) Nissan WILL handle it..
    Hang in there, Jim
  • sramachandransramachandran Member Posts: 6
    Hi-
    I'm thinking of buying the Nissan Altima 2006. Looking at this discussion, it is very scary. Is this problem fixed, or better stay away from Nissan Altima 2006?
    In general, I'm a new shopper. Do such problems and recalls happen in Toyota/Honda too?

Thanks.
  • akitak12akitak12 Member Posts: 1
    I know about the problem with the 2006 2.5L engine but I haven't seen anything on 2005. I own a 2005 Altima 2.5SL with only 7500 mile on it. I bought it in Oct, 2005 and have driven it very little because I have an old Camry I drive to work. I noticed during the first 2000 miles it was a quart low. I changed the oil with Mobile 1 and wrote it off to break in. About 1000 miles later it was another qt low. By this time the recall was out on 2006. I had in recently for the first oil consumption test. I checked the oil the night before I took it in and it was about 1/4" low on the dip stick. When Nissan checked it they said it was right on the top mark. I drove it straight home and without even letting it sit more than 15 min, I checked it and it was over full. Your are right, make sure you are present for the check. I wonder if there are any other 2005 owners that have had a problem.
  • fonman99fonman99 Member Posts: 1
    I just got back from purchasing 2 new 2006 2.5s Altima's with the rebuilt, 84 month warrantied engines. I just could not pass up the $3000 rebate, and the extended engine warranty! Traded in my 2000 Altima on one of them.

Do you think I was crazy?
    )) "Do you think I was crazy?" ((

Yeah - crazy like a fox! If your cars' build dates are more recent than June '06, I do not believe you got rebuilt engines in your new cars, either. I believe you got new engines that had the latest modifications applied during build. The 84 month warranty is a bonus to alleviate purchase fears. Keep an eye on the oil level. Contrary to what some self-appointed experts claim, it is NOT unusual for any new engine to consume some oil during the first five or six hundred miles of initial operation while the piston rings are seating to their bores. Vary your speed frequently to aid ring seating. Driving at a steady 45 mph speed in hilly terrain is also very good. In both cases the idea is to let cylinder compression and vacuum effects in operation alternately load the rings postively and negatively which works to more quickly seat the rings without excess wear. Varying engine speed does this as does applying fuel with resulting positive pressure from power delivery when climbing and pulling a vacuum in the cylinders when you remove your foot from the accelerator pedal when descending a grade. Avoid full-throttle acceleration during the first 500 or six hundred miles. Limit the engine revs to between 2000 and 4000 rpm when under way during that period, too.
  • mfergy13mfergy13 Member Posts: 3
    :(:cry: I recently bought a 2002 altima back in Sept. and had nothing but problems with the engine burning oil. I am putting it in the shop next week. I bought the extended warranty on it but I am assuming the engine is not covered. reading all this recall and engine problems I am sorry I bought it, I guess I should have done some more research on this, but everyone I have talked to had no problems with the car. So any suggestions on what I should say or do when I take it in to get it checked? Do I have a leg to stand on if the extended warranty does not cover the engine?? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    )) "I bought the extended warranty on it but I am assuming the engine is not covered." ((

Why would you assume such a thing? Haven't you dug out the paperwork to verify what is and is not covered under the terms of your extended warranty?

(Unless your paperwork was issued by the automaker - Nissan in your case, it's NOT legaly a warranty. Non-automaker provided performance guarantees are legally "service contracts" and come under state insurance statutes rather than true manufacturer warranties that are subject to Federal Trade Commission enforcement provisions. Some service contracts are good (notably those from AAA and Auto Club), some aren't worth the cost of a match to light 'em up. Dealerships love 'em, though, because they get to keep up to half the purchase price and some of these policies require selling dealership service to maintain "warranty" claim rights. (The latter's especially attractive to dealerships because even if you negotiate a purchase discount on the service contract, the dealer's still happy knowing he'll make it up with service charges later - which the contract may even mandate service procedures well above and beyond what the automaker, itself, specifies. Cha-Chinggg) True warranties cannot be summarily canceled by the automaker. Service contracts can be canceled for any failure to have prescribed maintenance performed at a location defined in the policy or they can be canceled per insurance regulations as part of an underwriter bankruptcy filing. Many such companies file bankruptcy when their underwriters determine that the model year cars under coverage are entering the period where they'll be statistically more likely to become a financial burden. [Statistics: figures can't lie, but liars can figure.] After the bankruptcy, the company re-incorporates under state insurance department provisions under a new name and begins issuing service contract policies again - but prior policy holders are left naked in the cold since their "company" was permanently dissolved as part of a business bankruptcy proceeding. Is this a great country or what? :))
    Why would I assume such a thing? Not to many warranty's cover replacing a new engine do they? had not had a chance to pull out my paperwork to see, but I'd be willing to put money on it not being covered, my luck anyway....
    just wanted to get some feedback from others for now...I will be checking into this tonight and my car is going in the shop next week... just wondering what everyone else's outcomes were, if they had this problem and is there something we could do?
    That would be some warranty that would pass on covering a car's major mechanical system! Look for wording along the lines of, "the engine and/or all its internal components" or some such that would obligate total engine replacement if necessary. The fact of your short stint with the car is also in your favor. (Like, how likely is it that your recent association with this vehicle would be the most likely cause of the motor's excessive oil consumption problems? That'd be a hard sell in court, even to a mechanically fuzzy-headed judge.) Best of luck.
  • harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    this is not about the Altima, but, Nissan. We got a 1990(coupe) XE in June of 1990(they were getting rid of them for the slightly less boxy 91's).
    I drove about 75-80 miles per day, and in less than 3 months time had accumulated over 7000 miles9 by labor Day weekend of 1990).
    We went for a 250 miles round trip drive, from Myrtle Beach, to Charleston SC( was in military at the time) on the Saturday of the 3 day weekend.
    Sunday, went to start the car, to go to town, and nothing :surprise:
    I was lucky enough to get special liberty and the duty cook to stand in for me!
    On Monday, Labor Day, Nissan( 40 miles away) came and towed us to the shop in Georgetown.
    Long story short: Timing Was Not set properly, and the plugs burnt up on one side.
    They reset the timing, and repalced the plugs.

In June of 1997, we got a 200sx( 2 door Sentra, basically).
    Not a bad car. But, by end of November 1999( 65K miles...)
    went to start the car, and nothing(again)for this model, same as for the 90, but about 58,000 miles later, and right outside of the warranty :mad:

was told timing gear tooth chipped, chain slipped one notch, and messed up the timing. Results: New timing gear, rebuilt the starter, and igniton coil issues, and new spark plugs.
    Had issues after that, too. check engine light kept coming on, hesitations in starting. We traded it for a Hyundai in 2001.

Read some reports of continuing engien issue swith Altima and Sentras, still, not too long ago :surprise:

What gives with these continuous engine issues?
    Oil leakeage, stalling, not running at all, after 16 + years. Even Hyundai worked out a lot of negative issues in this time frame!

I would like to buy the Altima Coupe, give Nissan another chance, but after reading the recall notices, this forum.... think I'll pass for now.

take care/not offense.
  • bbgun19bbgun19 Member Posts: 1
    Bigtuna! hey, i'm in the same situation as you and i'm trying to take nissan and get them to replace my car... do you have any info you could give me... what happened, case number... anythign that i could use to help me win over my own case?
    Any help would be appreciated
    could you give me advice on what exactly you did to win your case. I bought this 2002 car used back in Sept 2006, and I am having the same problem with the oil, my extended warranty is telling me that I have to take the car into the dealership have them break the engine down, then call the warranty company to have them come look at it and declare that the engine is bad, so I have to pay 1100 for Nissan to break the engine down when they know this is a problem already? what do I do? any suggestions??
    thanks,
  • camu123camu123 Member Posts: 1
    Do you guys know whether it appears on the vehicle's CarFax document that Nissan put a rebuilt engine in the car?
    Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No, it's not considered a liability to value for one thing, on a car of that type, and for another it's not a matter of public record, which is where CARFAX gets its info.

I would think, given the bad PR on this problem, that a buyer would want to see a rebuilt engine in there as a matter of record.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    not going through this myself, but i can tell you a rebuilt engine is just as good as a new one. the only difference is, the engine block is not brand new. The pistons, rings, cam, crank and everything else are. The engine block is essentialy a big, hollowed out chunk of cast iron. thats why they can be reused. they don't wear out (the parts inside it do)and can be reconditioned to a like new state.
  • kwk1kwk1 Member Posts: 39
    I'd say the pistons are re-usable as well.
    So long as the cylinder walls are just honed, and not bored. The crank could be machined as well, just depends on the cost difference to Nissan I suppose.
    yes that's right, as long as the cylinders are not bored out, the block would be as good as new...maybe even better, because it is now "seasoned" with use and isn't going to move around much anymore. But I wouldn't take a bored block with oversize pistons....modern engines only give you one overbore (at best) so that could mean trouble down the road.
  • kwk1kwk1 Member Posts: 39
    You're absolutely right!
    I forgot, we're not in the seventies...LOL!!
    Some modern engine makers actually forbid boring...you score the cylinders, you throw that engine away....
  • fpj2fpj2 Member Posts: 3
    Well my mom bought a 2002 Nissan Altima and has to add 1qt every 1000 miles. The car only has 37,000 miles and she bought it used. The service people are telling her that GM says 1 qt every 1000 miles is normal wear. Bull!!!! What a mess. My Toyota Tacoma has 120,000 with no adding between oil changes. They are giving her the runaround. Ultimately they need to do the buyback because at this point its a POS and will always be a POS. Any advise will be appreciated.