Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Engine Failures

Comments

• golfrjgolfrj Posts: 4
    Hello All, Just a few lines to let everyone know how PLEASED I am with my replacement engine from Nissan, the work was without any problems and done in 2 days total.. My dealer Empire Nissan in Ontario, Ca did a Fine job and was very pleasant doing it, the engine itself is much quieter and seems to be running Great.. If your going thru this problem (engine oil) Nissan WILL handle it..
    Hang in there, Jim
  • Hi-
    I'm thinking of buying the Nissan Altima 2006. Looking at this discussion, it is very scary. Is this problem fixed, or better stay away from Nissan Altima 2006?
    In general, I'm a new shopper. Do such problems and recalls happen in Toyota/Honda too?

Thanks.
  • I know about the problem with the 2006 2.5L engine but I haven't seen anything on 2005. I own a 2005 Altima 2.5SL with only 7500 mile on it. I bought it in Oct, 2005 and have driven it very little because I have an old Camry I drive to work. I noticed during the first 2000 miles it was a quart low. I changed the oil with Mobile 1 and wrote it off to break in. About 1000 miles later it was another qt low. By this time the recall was out on 2006. I had in recently for the first oil consumption test. I checked the oil the night before I took it in and it was about 1/4" low on the dip stick. When Nissan checked it they said it was right on the top mark. I drove it straight home and without even letting it sit more than 15 min, I checked it and it was over full. Your are right, make sure you are present for the check. I wonder if there are any other 2005 owners that have had a problem.
  • I just got back from purchasing 2 new 2006 2.5s Altima's with the rebuilt, 84 month warrantied engines. I just could not pass up the $3000 rebate, and the extended engine warranty! Traded in my 2000 Altima on one of them.

Do you think I was crazy?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    )) "Do you think I was crazy?" ((

Yeah - crazy like a fox! If your cars' build dates are more recent than June '06, I do not believe you got rebuilt engines in your new cars, either. I believe you got new engines that had the latest modifications applied during build. The 84 month warranty is a bonus to alleviate purchase fears. Keep an eye on the oil level. Contrary to what some self-appointed experts claim, it is NOT unusual for any new engine to consume some oil during the first five or six hundred miles of initial operation while the piston rings are seating to their bores. Vary your speed frequently to aid ring seating. Driving at a steady 45 mph speed in hilly terrain is also very good. In both cases the idea is to let cylinder compression and vacuum effects in operation alternately load the rings postively and negatively which works to more quickly seat the rings without excess wear. Varying engine speed does this as does applying fuel with resulting positive pressure from power delivery when climbing and pulling a vacuum in the cylinders when you remove your foot from the accelerator pedal when descending a grade. Avoid full-throttle acceleration during the first 500 or six hundred miles. Limit the engine revs to between 2000 and 4000 rpm when under way during that period, too.
  • :( :cry: I recently bought a 2002 altima back in Sept. and had nothing but problems with the engine burning oil. I am putting it in the shop next week. I bought the extended warranty on it but I am assuming the engine is not covered. reading all this recall and engine problems I am sorry I bought it, I guess I should have done some more research on this, but everyone I have talked to had no problems with the car. So any suggestions on what I should say or do when I take it in to get it checked? Do I have a leg to stand on if the extended warranty does not cover the engine?? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    )) "I bought the extended warranty on it but I am assuming the engine is not covered." ((

Why would you assume such a thing? Haven't you dug out the paperwork to verify what is and is not covered under the terms of your extended warranty?

(Unless your paperwork was issued by the automaker - Nissan in your case, it's NOT legaly a warranty. Non-automaker provided performance guarantees are legally "service contracts" and come under state insurance statutes rather than true manufacturer warranties that are subject to Federal Trade Commission enforcement provisions. Some service contracts are good (notably those from AAA and Auto Club), some aren't worth the cost of a match to light 'em up. Dealerships love 'em, though, because they get to keep up to half the purchase price and some of these policies require selling dealership service to maintain "warranty" claim rights. (The latter's especially attractive to dealerships because even if you negotiate a purchase discount on the service contract, the dealer's still happy knowing he'll make it up with service charges later - which the contract may even mandate service procedures well above and beyond what the automaker, itself, specifies. Cha-Chinggg) True warranties cannot be summarily canceled by the automaker. Service contracts can be canceled for any failure to have prescribed maintenance performed at a location defined in the policy or they can be canceled per insurance regulations as part of an underwriter bankruptcy filing. Many such companies file bankruptcy when their underwriters determine that the model year cars under coverage are entering the period where they'll be statistically more likely to become a financial burden. [Statistics: figures can't lie, but liars can figure.] After the bankruptcy, the company re-incorporates under state insurance department provisions under a new name and begins issuing service contract policies again - but prior policy holders are left naked in the cold since their "company" was permanently dissolved as part of a business bankruptcy proceeding. Is this a great country or what? :))
  • Why would I assume such a thing? Not to many warranty's cover replacing a new engine do they? had not had a chance to pull out my paperwork to see, but I'd be willing to put money on it not being covered, my luck anyway....
    just wanted to get some feedback from others for now...I will be checking into this tonight and my car is going in the shop next week... just wondering what everyone else's outcomes were, if they had this problem and is there something we could do?
    That would be some warranty that would pass on covering a car's major mechanical system! Look for wording along the lines of, "the engine and/or all its internal components" or some such that would obligate total engine replacement if necessary. The fact of your short stint with the car is also in your favor. (Like, how likely is it that your recent association with this vehicle would be the most likely cause of the motor's excessive oil consumption problems? That'd be a hard sell in court, even to a mechanically fuzzy-headed judge.) Best of luck.
  • this is not about the Altima, but, Nissan. We got a 1990(coupe) XE in June of 1990(they were getting rid of them for the slightly less boxy 91's).
    I drove about 75-80 miles per day, and in less than 3 months time had accumulated over 7000 miles9 by labor Day weekend of 1990).
    We went for a 250 miles round trip drive, from Myrtle Beach, to Charleston SC( was in military at the time) on the Saturday of the 3 day weekend.
    Sunday, went to start the car, to go to town, and nothing :surprise:
    I was lucky enough to get special liberty and the duty cook to stand in for me!
    On Monday, Labor Day, Nissan( 40 miles away) came and towed us to the shop in Georgetown.
    Long story short: Timing Was Not set properly, and the plugs burnt up on one side.
    They reset the timing, and repalced the plugs.

In June of 1997, we got a 200sx( 2 door Sentra, basically).
    Not a bad car. But, by end of November 1999( 65K miles...)
    went to start the car, and nothing(again)for this model, same as for the 90, but about 58,000 miles later, and right outside of the warranty :mad:

was told timing gear tooth chipped, chain slipped one notch, and messed up the timing. Results: New timing gear, rebuilt the starter, and igniton coil issues, and new spark plugs.
    Had issues after that, too. check engine light kept coming on, hesitations in starting. We traded it for a Hyundai in 2001.

Read some reports of continuing engien issue swith Altima and Sentras, still, not too long ago :surprise:

What gives with these continuous engine issues?
    Oil leakeage, stalling, not running at all, after 16 + years. Even Hyundai worked out a lot of negative issues in this time frame!

I would like to buy the Altima Coupe, give Nissan another chance, but after reading the recall notices, this forum.... think I'll pass for now.

take care/not offense.
  • Bigtuna! hey, i'm in the same situation as you and i'm trying to take nissan and get them to replace my car... do you have any info you could give me... what happened, case number... anythign that i could use to help me win over my own case?
    Any help would be appreciated
  • could you give me advice on what exactly you did to win your case. I bought this 2002 car used back in Sept 2006, and I am having the same problem with the oil, my extended warranty is telling me that I have to take the car into the dealership have them break the engine down, then call the warranty company to have them come look at it and declare that the engine is bad, so I have to pay 1100 for Nissan to break the engine down when they know this is a problem already? what do I do? any suggestions??
    thanks,
  • Do you guys know whether it appears on the vehicle's CarFax document that Nissan put a rebuilt engine in the car?
    Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,273
    No, it's not considered a liability to value for one thing, on a car of that type, and for another it's not a matter of public record, which is where CARFAX gets its info.

I would think, given the bad PR on this problem, that a buyer would want to see a rebuilt engine in there as a matter of record.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    not going through this myself, but i can tell you a rebuilt engine is just as good as a new one. the only difference is, the engine block is not brand new. The pistons, rings, cam, crank and everything else are. The engine block is essentialy a big, hollowed out chunk of cast iron. thats why they can be reused. they don't wear out (the parts inside it do)and can be reconditioned to a like new state.
  • kwk1kwk1 Posts: 39
    I'd say the pistons are re-usable as well.
    So long as the cylinder walls are just honed, and not bored. The crank could be machined as well, just depends on the cost difference to Nissan I suppose.
    yes that's right, as long as the cylinders are not bored out, the block would be as good as new...maybe even better, because it is now "seasoned" with use and isn't going to move around much anymore. But I wouldn't take a bored block with oversize pistons....modern engines only give you one overbore (at best) so that could mean trouble down the road.

• kwk1kwk1 Posts: 39
    You're absolutely right!
    I forgot, we're not in the seventies...LOL!!
    Some modern engine makers actually forbid boring...you score the cylinders, you throw that engine away....

• fpj2fpj2 Posts: 3
    Well my mom bought a 2002 Nissan Altima and has to add 1qt every 1000 miles. The car only has 37,000 miles and she bought it used. The service people are telling her that GM says 1 qt every 1000 miles is normal wear. Bull!!!! What a mess. My Toyota Tacoma has 120,000 with no adding between oil changes. They are giving her the runaround. Ultimately they need to do the buyback because at this point its a POS and will always be a POS. Any advise will be appreciated.
    Don't buy used cars. And if you absolutly must, take it to a mechanic to have it throughly inspected before you buy it. If the seller won't agree to that, then he's trying to hide something. My suggestion to you would be the same. take it to a mechanic and have it checked out. A car shouldn't need a quart every 1000 miles. a quart every oil change (3000) is considered acceptable, but anything more indicates a problem. However, It could just be a bad gasket or something and not necessarily burring it. But, a mechanic can check all that and do a compression check on the cylinders to see what kind of shape the rings are in.
  • alpine1alpine1 Posts: 51
    I had a car (not Nissan) that used 1 quart every 900 mile. the dealer said it we dealer said that was normal. Long story short - the catalytic converter clogged due to burnt oil, the car stalled, had to be towed, etc.
  • dkopeskydkopesky Posts: 3
    I am looking at a 2005 Altima 2.5 that was bought back under the lemon law for excessive engine wear and oil consumption. Nissan put a new (not rebuilt) 2.5 engine in the car. I can buy this car with 20,000 miles, new engine and full warranty for over $2,000 less than a similar car. How much of a risk am I taking - it still has 40,000 miles under warranty? I would assume the engine would be a newer build without the earlier issues.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    What's the number and options on the car? I don't think anyone can tell you if it's a good deal w/o knowing the number (selling price).
    I'd say minimal risk, especially if they'll give you full waranty on it. Nissan builds some of the best engines out there. there was a problem with some 2.5 I4 engines, but that problem was quickly corrected.
  • dkopeskydkopesky Posts: 3
    I ended up buying a 2006 2.5 S Special Edition from a different dealer for the same price ($15,900)- they came down from asking price of $16,900. It has 26,000 miles and a new engine but does not have the LEMON tag on the title that the other one did. This one was a rental that had the engine replaced as part of the recall it was not a buyback. I have been pleasantly surprised with the mileage it is better than the EPA ratings so far using the trip computer.
  • grampy49grampy49 Posts: 3
    I'm not sure if you still visit this sight, but, I am about to go thru the BBB arbitration on my 2006 nissan I wanted more information on the mugninson act I and can't pull anything up online just checking to see if it is spelled correctly or if you have any other information on it available. a quick response is needed.
  • meyrick007meyrick007 Posts: 23
    hello... i know its been a while since u posted this msg... but i also i have a 2002 nissan altima and it is burning oil like crazy!!! i googled this issue and it seems like there are many nissan altima owners who are experiencing this issue... i think all altima should gather together and start a class action lawsuit..... i got my altima repaired by replacing the whole engine and it cost me $1500.... really disappointed....
  • Anyone that has a Nissan Altima 2.5L that is under warrenty, make sure you document and save all the maintenance records on your vehicle. Even if it's just adding a quart of oil, record it. Nissan does not make it easy to get manufaturing problems fixed.

My oil light came on before the first oil change, then again before the second oil change. I was slow in getting it in to service this issue, now they are caliming it is my poor maintenace that caused the engine problems.

I have a 2005 Altima with 32,000 miles on it, still under warranty, and I have to pay $3,000 out of pocket to replace the engine that never worked right with a rebult engine. I hope the rebuilt engine works better.