Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• pattid1pattid1 Member Posts: 2
    I would never buy another Lexus.They say they are good cars and they have great customer service,yeah til you have a big problem then you are on your own.I have over 60,000.00 in one and its sitting in my garage with me afraid to drive it because of safety issues....
  • barneyhyphenbarneyhyphen Member Posts: 5
    Totally agree. Taken me the last year to get Lexus to agree to pay 50% of a repaint of my 2000 LX 470, smokey Topaz. then they tell me they want $ 700 more to remove 4 door dings! Absolutely appauling customer service for a 14 year, 5 car customer. Transmission also self destructed at 82,000 miles.

Never again for me.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Trade it in for a cadillac. I am sure someone will be happy to buy your lexus.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Hosts:

Since the new LX debuts next Wednesday, can a specific topic for that suv be started?
    There may be a way to do that but I'm not sure how. I did a search of the forums with no hits.

Since this seems to be a low volume topic perhaps we can alter this forum to "Lexus LX" so that nobody gets lost?
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Or "Lexus LX470 and LX570"?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It is confusing; never been real happy with having the LX and GX 470s lumped together, but you owners never seem to complain. We have the Lexus IS 350 and IS 250 grouped together too, and probably others.

It offends my sense of order, like having HUMMER and MINI listed in CAPS in the lists because the manufacturer does. :P

We're easy - can we get a show of hands - anyone else feel strongly about separating the new one out vs lumping it in with this group? Maybe let it live in this Group but have separate discussions for general talk, and one for M&R, and the usual Prices Paid/Leasing discussions....
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    Well, here's my vote for creating a new Lexus thread for the LX 570. This one has been going on for years w/too many pages. Noting how long Toyota/Lexus hangs onto a design change, we're probably OK for the next 5-6 years.
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Here is another vote.

Lou
    Ok, let's just move the the Future Vehicle discussion over to this Group:

2008 Lexus LX 570

So for now, it'll live in the same Group as the LX 470 and GX 470 since it's the third generation LX. Does anyone around here even have the first gen LX 450?
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    More power, goals of better on- and off-road capabilities and increased interior room highlight the 2008 Lexus LX 570 premiering in New York. Power, from the 5.7-liter, 381-hp V8 developed for parent company Toyota’s full-size Tundra, jumps 113 hp over the outgoing LX 470.

The Tundra’s six-speed automatic is also part of the new powertrain package. Electrohydraulic suspension and active height control reduce body roll and increase on-road comfort. Off-road abilities should benefit from increased wheel travel, crawl control and multiterrain antilock brakes.

Visually, the LX 570 taps into the Lexus L-finesse design theme for a more refined look, and the eight-passenger interior is 4 inches longer and nearly an inch wider. The LX 570 goes on sale in early 2008.
  • stevedc34stevedc34 Member Posts: 25
    Can't find a specific forum on pricing for this auto. I am thinking that Lexus will be dealing a little on the 2007 model. Has anyone received a quote on a 2007 LX? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here it is: Lexus LX 470: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    Lexus doesn't make very many of these and since the replacement will not be on sale until Jan, I would think the discount will not be big--But I did get a price for one last week from my salesperson = 63,750
  • stevedc34stevedc34 Member Posts: 25
    Thank you for the responses...very helpfull.
  • carfan4sure1carfan4sure1 Member Posts: 1
    Randomly I get this message when attempting to play a CD. Anybody know what this error message means? If I turn the car off and then turn it back on, the CD player works.
  • louie6louie6 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my '05 LX 470 for a few months. When driving at high speeds (50+) and especially when it is windy, there is a really loud noise coming from what seems to be the front driver side of the vehicle. It is almost like a howl of sorts and can be really loud and anoying. I didn't know if was normal becuase the vehicle does sit higher up and wind does pass through the vehicle with more ease. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
  • vdragonvdragon Member Posts: 12
    Just picked up an '05 LX, Blue Vapor, fully-loaded, 19k mi., including Night Vision & rear-DVD, etc.

So far, it's great. Drives great. Can't believe all the electronic stuff. Voice-activation for everything is very cool. Will take a while to learn everything though.
  • tim724tim724 Member Posts: 4
    Ebay for half this price.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    About a year ago I had some issues with the front crossbar of the luggage rack (peeling paint). It was replaced and as I drove away from the dealership I noticed this howling, wind buffeting noise that had never been there before.

I figured it was something to do with the replaced crossbar and sure enough the crossbar had been put in with the wrong side facing forward. It is shaped sort of like an airplane wing and the tapering side should face the rear. The bar was reversed, problem solved.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Hi louie6

I had two similar problems the first one seems to be like whistle and the other like a herd of Water Buffalo, a rattling sound.
    Not on the same time period . The whistle appear after a full detail done at the dealers.
    While cleaning the dashboard accidentally a small button was press and slightly opened the right rear window. Once properly closed the sound disappeared.
    The WB sound was little hard to figure out but to make it short it was roof rack , the little wheels that tightens the roof rack was loose ( 2 wheels or knobs )

Lou
  • sblankersblanker Member Posts: 2
    In January, 2006 I replaced the entire nav system at a cost of almost $2K -- it was completely dead. In October, 2006 the dealer checked the system out because it would periodically blank out or freeze up. Naturally they found no problems. In the last couple days it has turned off or frozen up several times. Needless to say I am extremely unhappy. Any help out there?
  • dudeduhdudeduh Member Posts: 1
    Recently, my 2005 Lexus LX470 was parked on a slightly sloped parking spot. My gear was in "P" position when I exited the car, but I did not engage my side-brake and I left my engine on to keep the AC running (I was just picking up something quick). I walked away few yards when I needed to return to my car to get something. When I opened the door and with my body quarter of way in the car, the car started to roll backward down the slope (my foot got caught under the tire and I fell to the ground). It rolled until it hit another parked car. Has anybody heard anything similar to this? Does Lexus LX470 have problem with gear shifter?
    I own a 2006 LX470 , regardless where I park I always engage the parking brake . Even inside the garage.
    I have never heard anyone having your problem.
    Perhaps you should check the lexusownersclub.com
    Hope this can be helpful
    Lou
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Dude, I have been this and other LX/LC boards for years and never came across something like this. Either your transmissions lock (P position is not working) or you selected either R or N which cause your truck to move back.

That or ......
  • alexanderkalexanderk Member Posts: 9
    Looking to replace OC Dunlops after less than 24,000 mls.
    Any recommendations ? Any experience with NITTO 404?
  • barneyhyphenbarneyhyphen Member Posts: 5
    Michalin MTX? I'm at 144,000 and still have a lot (20,000+ miles) left on my third set. 55-60k out of each set.
    I am on the same boat , just went past 22000 miles and these Dunlops are ready to bite the dust.
    Michelin is my only choice , but my only question would be which one ?

Lou
  • hhi28hhi28 Member Posts: 1
    I got my 2000 LX470 and was told by dealer that there is issue with the CAT.
    It makes rattling sound around 2000 RPM or so and disappear beyond that.
    LEXUS service thinks it's the honeycomb in the CAT getting loose and floating around that makes the sound.
    The estimate to replace is about $ 2000 at LEXUS.
    He suggested to go to Midas for around $ 180-200 ??
    Does this sound about right?
    Why so much different in price? Is there different quality in the product?
    I know nothing about car except that I am not ready to chill out $2000 for this problem.

What other alternative things I can do to fix the problem? I am not even sure if it is really the CAT? Suggestions? Thoughts?
  • moon21100moon21100 Member Posts: 4
    I have had noise in the front drivers seat of my 2007 LX470. Like a rumbling annoying wind noise. I have taken it to the dealership. They tried to fix it, but because the noise is "normal". They are saying they have done all they can. They tell me all LX470s have this annoying noise. My noise is inconsistent so it is difficult to pinpoint. The noise can happen at 50 to 60 miles in cruise mode.
    I think they are feeding you a line of bull. Ask to drive other 2007s to see if they have the same noise, etc. then see what they come up with. Good luck.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• cam11cam11 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone done the rear brakes on a LX470?? I am thinking about doing it myself. Is it worth it? Or is it a total Pain in the rear?? I have always done my own brakes with no problems on all of my American made cars. But my Passatt had to be towed in shamefully!! Was hoping someone could tell me what I am in for?
  • vdragonvdragon Member Posts: 12
    i have an 05 lx470.

i've been doing the normal every 3k miles service on oil, or oil blend.

should i continue like this, or every 5k miles?

also, is $1086 a fair price for the 30k service done at a lexus dealer (westminster, ca)? from reading this board, it seems the 30k mile services are the important ones... meaning I shouldn't skip them, or go to an independent shop?

thanks!
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what your 30k service should cost in your zip code (and what services Lexus recommends be done - your dealer will undoubtedly recommend more be done, but some of that may not be needed).

I haven't done an oil change on my cars in less than 5,000 miles in over a decade. Why not follow your owner's manual recommendation? Are oil changes every 3,000 miles really needed?
    I just had the oil changed on my LX yesterday at the Lexus dealer. The new sticker shows the next oil change not due for 5,000 miles.

Incidentally, they had a 2008 LX 570 on their used car lot with 8,000 miles. The salesman said the guy who traded it in just wanted a different color. Thinking it might be a good buy I asked what they wanted. Cost new had been $80,000. They were asking $85,000!! :mad:

The salesman said they were all sold out for the next year and a half so they felt like they could ask a premium price. I told him he was nuts! So much for SUVs prices going down.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    AND sold out for a year and a half? Sounds crazy.

My crystal ball predicts that the 570 will be selling with large discounts within the next 12-24 months.. just be patient and enjoy your 470 for a bit longer. Ebay has the 570 going for 90K plus in some instances.. again, CRAZY! It's a nice truck but c'mon! The only way toyota will keep prices this goofy high is if they limit production severely.

Here in "lexus-dealer-'round-every-corner-south fla." the LS460 had crazy prices floating around for the first 6 months..now, yup, you guessed it, heavy discounts for anyone wanting to buy one today. Recently they were being advertised for $8K off MSRP with no strings.
    I bought a 2007 CPO LX 470 about a month ago. It is our second one and we are sold on these things. I am having an issue with a vibrating noise coming from the high/low shift lever area. The frequency of the vibration changes depending on how fast the engine is running. Never happens in neutral or when idling, etc. It almost sounds like a radio sounds when you accelerate and are getting feedback, etc.

Let me be clear here. The noise is not really loud but it is like a mosquito buzzing your ear, etc. The truck is otherwise so quiet that his vibrating noise is very noticeable and irksome. If you put your hand on the hi/low shift lever you can feel it vibrating wildly.

Lexus has looked at it once. They said they took it apart and made some adjustments but it had no effect. Anyone have any ideas?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• moon21100moon21100 Member Posts: 4
    I had the same noise coming from my LX470. I took it to two separate Lexus dealerships and was told the noise is normal. The two main techs at both Lexus dealerships told me that they wouldn't recommend or purchase a LX 470. They said the problem has been fixed in the new LX 570. Lexus told me that it is normal noise and the noise is in every LX 470. Some are louder than others. However, the noise in mine was noticeable and annoying. It is almost a vibrating, low volume radio boom noise. It is usually intermittent and the gear box vibrates. They took my car apart 3 times and still did not fix the problem. Eventually Lexus will tell you that it is normal. I don't know how CPOs work. Maybe you have my car that Lexus bought back from me under the Lemon Law. It was a difficult battle. Hard to fight a big company like Lexus.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Move it into the low range and back a couple of times over a few days (i.e. use the low range occasionally!). Consider changing the fluid to a full synthetic product in the T-case. In my case, these steps eliminated the problem completely.
    Thank you for your reply. I take it you sold the truck back to Lexus under the lemon law because of this issue. Is that correct?

The carfax did not show any lemon law issues but who knows.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Thanks, I will give it a try.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• ka3axka3ax Member Posts: 5
    Have any one replaced starter on 1999 LX470 ?Do I need take to the shop or it's easy do by my self?
    The starter lies in the V-8 valley, and takes the better part of a day to replace/refurbish. It can be done at home, with the proper tools, information and preferably a helper. Otherwise, taking this one to the shop may be a good idea.
  • roman7roman7 Member Posts: 15
    I'd like to ask anybody who had experience to change temperature gauges from F to C on the central dash. Any idea how to do so? I think some parts should be available because Lexus for Canada goes in C and km vs. F and ml. Any help will be appreciate! :confuse:
    Please check under the Navigation Setup Menus, there should be a screen where you can set the default language (including French), and metric units (including Celsius vs Fahrenheit scales).
  • lovephotolovephoto Member Posts: 9
    I have a '07 LX470 and when downshifting coming down a steep hill, I hear the same vibration. When I hold my hand on bottom of the AC vent closest to the steering wheel, the noise goes away. I haven't taken it in yet to be repaired but it seems the bottom of the vent has a little "play" in it.

When I had an '04 Range Rover the same noise occured and they found that the windshield was not fitted properly. I got rid of the RR and bought the '470 because the RR was in the shop every month.
    I kept hounding my dealer and finally took a tech on a ride with me. This was about a month ago and after the tech rode with me it appears that they eliminated the noise. We have not had any issues since then and the truck has been great.

Also, happily, my gas mileage effectively doubled when gas when from 4 bucks down to 2. :) I have been averaging about 15 combined. Not too bad but, of course, not good either.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• palma88palma88 Member Posts: 1
    I wish to simply change a parking lamp on a 02 LX 470 (in a housing to the outside of the headlamp). I located the top screw that secures the top of the housing, but am unable to locate the screw that secures the bottom of the housing. Does anybody have an idea where that screw is located?
    I replaced all my OEM headlights with HID. My H1 and H3 working good but 9005 blow fuses.Any one have same problem or any idea to fix problem?Thank you!
    I did replace my.Take a look under bumper and you need flat screwdriver to push small thing to get light came loose.Don't use forse,take a look close .It's easy to do.Hope it's help
  • sblankersblanker Member Posts: 2
    My LX 470 is a 2002 with the Mark Levinson sound system. I recently brought it to the dealer for the 120K mile service. Since getting it back, I periodically hear a beeping noise, almost like a watch alarm going off. It doesn't last very long -- maybe 3-5 seconds. After a fair amount of trial and error, I'm pretty sure I've isolated the sound as coming from the audio system -- specifically the radio. (When the beeping starts, if I'm quick to turn off the audio system power, it stops.) Does this make sense? Does anyone have any idea what this beeping is all about? I can't find a thing in the instruction manual.