Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rrajarraja Member Posts: 7
    o.k yesterday stopped at 2 dealers.

Dealer 1: had 1 silver versa SL with no packages just floor mats. Mileage 255!. Was asking $16000. Little turned off by 255 mileage!.

Dealer 2: None available but promised to get any SL withing 3 days from states around. SL with convenience package for $16905. Non-negotiation.

Any suggestions....

By the way did anyone noticed that the front doors are long and pointed sharp edge corner, while opening/closing there is chance to run into our leg?.

Thanks,
    Raja
  • voltronguyvoltronguy Member Posts: 10
    Personally I think the convenience package+ CVT is worth the extra $905, plus you should get a car with lower mileage. Just make sure if you go that route that in your contract you specify a car with less than x miles and it has to be on the lot within 3 days. Otherwise the dealer might screw with you and take a month to find a car that has 300 miles! This would give you the option to walk away with your deposit back if they scrrew up.

Good luck.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    I've had my Versa now for a month and I really do like it, everyday just proves to me that I made the right choice. The Convenice package has really spoiled me, the Inetlli-Key is SO NICE and the Bluetooth has REALLY spoiled me.. The CVT I think is what well come in all car in the next 10 yrs.

Regarding Dealer #2, they well deal, go to the fleet department or Internet department of your dealer, there you well get a better deal.. All dealers have them, I paid 16,500 for mine the first week they were released, that was $500 less then MSRP. Once supply start meeting demand prices well go down. Untill then, dealer well try and play hard ball but they well buckle when push comes to shove..

Regarding the pointed edge, the Versa has a 'edgy' design and I have never had a problem...

Tony :shades:
  • rrajarraja Member Posts: 7
    This RRaja again...

"For the silver versa SL with no packages just floor mats. Mileage 255, quote is $15,890. The tax $1039,License fee will be about $300 and document fee is $55. Thus total price = $17,285."

Note that this car has 255 miles, no convenience package. Wonder what you think on this deal.

I would prefer to have convenience package, low mileage but would if the price is a good deal...

is 255 miles a bad deal..

Thanks,
    regarding the 255 miles, if its a big deal to YOU (since you are buying the car) then don't buy it... Regarding the Convenience package, I would HIGHLY recommond it to anyone who is lookin at the Versa SL, for $700 its a bargin...

• benduprebendupre Member Posts: 121
    Hold out for the convenience package. Try Tony's suggestion, but go online and search for dealers within x-miles (as far as you can afford to drive). Request quotes anf go with the one who has what you want and is the closest. I doubt you're going to get a deal like Tony's though. Seems like most people are being quoted/paying MSRP right now because supply is tight.

Ben
    Ben, as I have said all along, if people just go to a dealership and speak to the saleman on the floor they will NOT get the best deal, but if they call first and talk to someone in the fleet or internet department, they will get a much better deal.

I bought my car from the "Internet Sales Manager", but I walked in off the street with no prior contact. I did call one other dealer 45 miles away and got him to quote me $100 off MSRP, but they didn't have an SL in stock yet. When I went back to buy later that afternoon, I was able to negotiate my trade from $500 up to $900 so in the end the deal netted out less than where we started.

The dealer where I bought my Versa is a small dealer in a small city, which by the way, all the dealers in this city have a reputation for not negotiating. It's why we bought our Quest from the dealer 45miles away. But in this small dealership, the "internet Sales Manager" is just the youngest kid on the floor who knew a little more about computers and e-mail than all the other old geisers.

I think the higher up you go on the food-chain the better you're going to be treated, so Tony's strategy probably has merrit. It just didn't yield anything in my case. And I think overall supply-and-demand economics are going to dictate the prices on this vehicle for now.

Ben
    Hey Ben, living in the 6th largest city in America I guess has merit it too. The dealer I deal with has a large staff in the "internet department" which works out well. We have 6 or 7 Nissan dealers here in Phoenix, so I guess that helps too.

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have traded or tried trading in their SUVs and have been shocked at the prices they are getting from dealerships. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, August 18, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.
  • canuck785canuck785 Member Posts: 160
    hello everybody!

question to all of you who own or test drove the versa:

how is the seating position? do you consider it to be higher than most cars?

the Aveo and Xa do have a higher driving position and I was wondering if the versa was following that " new trend" or not?

I have been seeing that the starting price for a versa was 12.400$...base of course, i am just wondering how come most ppl are paying like 16.500$ for it? is it because most buyers are getting the "higher" trim? here the versa I built on the nissan web site:

Base MSRP† $12,450
    Exterior Color
    Magnetic Gray
    Interior Color
    Transmission
    6-speed Manual Transmission
    Subtotal $12,450
    Destination and Handling $605
    Total Configured MSRP† $13,055

congrats to all the new owners! great looking car!! :shades:
    Hey Canuck

So far I would have to say its a mix of people who have bought the base model ($12,450) or the upper end SL ($16,500.)

Regarding the seating position, yes, you do sit higher in the Versa then most subcompact's. In the Honda Fit, I felt like I was driving a skateboard as I felt like I was sitting too close to the ground...

The Aveo is a sub compact, but to fair, you can not compare it to a Versa, the Versa does not feel like a Sub Compact car when you drive it, the Aveo does...

Hope this answers some questions.

Seating position is very high. I don't have to "sit down" to get in the car, the seat hight matches my butt height perfectly. The SL trim comes with a height adjustable seat if it's not high enough already for you.

Anyone paying 16K for the Versa got the SL model. Not sure if the extras are worth the $$ but I wanted the CVT and MP3 stereo so SL trim was it. Plus I bought early in July and took what had just rolled off the truck.

I didn't like the 6sp. Top gear is too short IMO and the throttle seemed to "hang on" when you released it to shift. If it had a nice tall 6th gear for cruising (like it should have) I would be driving the base model right now. The car with CVT tachs 1000rpm less (2500) than the MT (3500) at 75mph. Which is why it's rated 2MPG higher, I think. Car is much quieter and comfortable to drive at that speed with the CVT.

Ben
  • kdb4221440kdb4221440 Member Posts: 4
    My car came with a CVT. I came to the dealer near closing time, I said I will pay 16,200 for it but my wife told the saleman, she willing to pay $16,000 max. He asked us if we going to purchase the car tonight, we said yes and it was done. The price was about $178 under invoice and the car only have 8 miles. I live near Pittsburgh, PA.
    thank you for your reply , both of you, ben and tony!
    good to know about the seating position.
    i don,t know if any of you remember or drove 1990"s honda civics?? well my friend had one and i rode in it often....i felt like i was seating on the road with a windshield in front of me! i had to " climb out" of that car... :mad:
    i was not interested in getting a car mainly because most of them are sitting too low. i am used to drive JEEPS or Trucks and i love sitting higher. I am 5'4 so I need to sit high and be able to see all around or I dont feel safe/confortable.

the seats in the aveo and the scions (xB and xA) were just fine IMO.

I have been looking to go test drive a Versa, since they came out, very hard to find one around here (rural kansas) but i will keep looking!

I understand why some ppl are paying more for some options and i would sure like to but i am on a tight budget and i cant afford more than 13/15k for now... :cry:
    i am willing to give up some confort features (BUT NOT A/C!!) and drive a base new car with warranty.
    I hear yeah regarding the A/C and since I live in Phoenix AZ I can tell you that the A/C works very good...

Good news is that AC is standard on both S and SL

Unlike some other car companies who advertize the dirt-floor price and that model has no AC. Once you add it, you're 1500-2000 higher than the base.

Ben
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A/C is typically a $800-1000 option in cars of this class, unless it's part of an options package.

In this class, almost all competitors have standard A/C--including Fit, Yaris, Rabbit, Accent (GLS and SE), and Rio5.
    not so Focus $1295, Aveo $2,240, Accent $3500, Caliber $1000

The base models of these cars do not include AC. It's not just AC you get for the higher trim price, but if you want AC, that's what you're going to pay.

Ben
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A/C is a $910 option on the base (S) Focus ZX5, which is the closest Focus model to the Versa. The only Aveo 5-door available with factory A/C is the LS, on which A/C is standard. A/C is standard on the Accent 4-door and the SE hatch (as I noted); it's available in two packages on the GS hatch, which run $1350 (with stereo) and $1750 (with stereo and power package)--not $3500. And A/C is standard on the base Fit, base Yaris, and base Rio5.
    I yield to your superior research and patience to dig through the configurators. Point is, though, that the base model Focus, Aveo, Accent, and Caliber all come without AC. And for most of those vehicles it is only available in a higher Trim, not as a stand-alone option, so if AC all what you want, you get soaked.

If course, you can't by a Versa for $9995 either.

Ben
    to add A/C on an aveo SVM is 1500$ according to the chevy dealer i went to. conclusion: go with the LS trim!!! :)
    maybe if I was living somewhere else then Kansas, i wouldn't mind not having a/c but it is a MUST here!!

i looked some nissan dealers again last night..only 1 dealer has one(a loaded one 16.000$+)then another one is getting one on friday... :mad:
    good thing i am not in a rush!! :)
    besides i am also waiting for the Suzuki SX4 to arrive :shades:
    it will be more expensive than the Versa but it will come with awd standard
    for 15k to 18k for a loaded one.
    oops...nissan forum, better stop talking about suzuki!! ;)
    When does the suzuki come out?
    it is suppose to be in september for the base model,($14.999)$ the loaded one (or sport) at 17.999$ will come out later, like in december.

look up at suzuki.com, they have all the infos, specs, prices and a video about the SX4 under "vehicles"
    not sure how to post a link here but try this:
    http://www.suzukisx4.com/
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    ..back to Versa pricing...

Thanks,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Is the Nissan web sit right? I can't get ABS with the convenience pack?
    yeah...sorry :blush:
    was just ansering the question.
    there is a forum about the suzuki sx4 to discuss it.
    The general consensus is the configurator on nissanusa.com is broken. I don't think anyone knows for sure though. I haven't seen a post from anyone has bought both.

Ben
  • sandeep_jhasandeep_jha Member Posts: 6
    Tony,

Could you please let me know the OTD price you paid for versa and the dealership where you bought the car.

I'm also in Phoenix and would like to get as much info as possible.

Thanks.
    Sandeep
    hey Sandeep, I leased my Versa from Peoria Nissan. In leasing the 'Net Cap' is the sale price and mine was $16,500 now granted this was one week after the car was released.

• lorrralorrra Member Posts: 3
    Although the postings here reflect the gamut of buying experiences, my story is, unfortunately, on the "not so nice" end.

I spent a fair amount of time researching the Versa, and test-drove it against a Civic, a Yaris and a Matrix. Obviously, I chose the Versa, and ended up buying from Victory Nissan of Macomb.

My story: I chose Victory Nissan of Macomb based on the potential availability of a car that met my specifications (it was sold before I got to the dealership). Victory Nissan of Macomb sought to have a similar car shipped from a partner -- which I accepted. However, with no car onsite, there was no window sticker for me to view, and -- very oddly! -- the salesperson wasn't able to tell me the price of the car. YET, she presented me with a detailed financing plan. Huh?!?!?

She did, however, indicate that the car was "at MSRP."

Anyway, when I asked her about the $400-off coupon I had given her earlier, she said, "Oh! I'm sorry about this, but our margins are so low, we aren't able to honor this coupon." Mind you, nowhere on the coupon did it mention any restrictions.

Foolishly, I allowed the process to continue and commenced to the closer's office, where I demanded to know exactly the MSRP of the car. I had specified ABS and power package, and knew I would also be charged $150 for a carpet kit that was tacked on. Based on my homework, I knew that the MSRP would be $14,155. To my surprise, I was being charged about $600 over MSRP! When I asked the closer for an explanation, he said that the cars sell like hotcakes and dealerships sometimes sell them over MSRP - which I had encountered at a different dealership. I indicated that the salesperson had assured it would be at MSRP.

He then left the room to consult with the dark side, and returned with the explanation that the extra charge was for paint and carpet protection that had already been done.

I should have bolted right then - $600 for Scotchguard and a wax job?!?!

But, he made a very convincing argument. Sigh.

Anyway, they make a very concerted effort to keep their customers/potential customers in the dark. I will not do business with them again, nor recommend them to anybody. In fact, I asked them to not brand my car with their logo - unless they would like to pay me for advertising their services.

One other point: the salesperson told me that the dealership "requires" buyers to submit three "Referances" (misspelled by dealership - very professional!). I asked her why. I had already been approved for the loan. Was it a character reference? I didn't understand! She said, "We're salespeople. If you don't want to sign it, just write 'Refused' and initial it."

(The light goes on: Oh! They want me to refer my friends to them! Absolutely not. Not until I have a satisfactory experience with this dealership.)

And I still have delivery day to look forward to. Ugh! Heartburn already.

Happy motoring.
    I'd either find another dealership, or go buy a Mtrix. It's insane to buy a car for over MSRP, and rediculous to pay 600 for fabric and paint protection which , if they don't have the car in inventory, they obviously have NOT put on the car already. If you can back out of the deal still then RUN as fast as you can. You are being screwed.

Ben
  • bigbutrbigbutr Member Posts: 111
    Went to see if our local dealership had any on the lot, and lo and behold, they have one. While looking at the sticker(s), was shocked to see the price had jumped from 16,400 to nearly 19,600 with add-ons. Couldn't get a definitive answer as to what the $695 environmental package was nor why there was a 1995 early intro assessment except that it was a brand new car and commands a premium. Told him I like the Versa and all, but I could nicely equip a Mazda 3 for that much. Was then told that early intro assessment' was negotiable if I was serious' about purchasing. But wanting a credit app just to test drive was the final straw. Guess I'll be going somewhere else to check one out.
    Okay NISSAN dealers: Get over yourselves!

1995 early intro assesment? Call them SUCKER DOLLARS.

Ben
  • sngwrtrsngwrtr Member Posts: 14
    A $695 environmental package? what does that do - make the entire car biodegradable? Massachsetts, California and a few other states has emissions law that exceed the federal laws and no has tried to pass that one off on us yet. Even a certified Vermont tree-hugger wouldn't pay $695 for such a rediculous thing.

I wonder if the original 1964 and 1/2 Ford Mustangs has an early intro assesment?????? 8-))

Hope you have some other dealers readily available to you.
  • hevydevyheadhevydevyhead Member Posts: 7
    My wife and I just purchased a Magnetic Gray Versa SL from Carolina Nissan in Burlington NC. Paid 100$ below MSRP and it even came with a full tank of gas (really full, I pumped it myself).

We love the car and the staff at the dealership was great. I'd suggest the car and the dealership to anyone. A great experience!! :shades:
    Great Hevydevyhead,

Make sure you come back and tell us how you like the car. And tell us how you get along with your gas mileage.

Ben
  • jlemonjlemon Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a picture of a Versa sunroof? My dealer said that models with sunroofs are not available until Jan/Feb, so I ordered a Versa without a sunroof, planning to put in an aftermarket roof. But now I'm wondering if the factory installed roof is an internal sliding model or a popup/slide type.

Also, has anyone installed an aftermarket sunroof in the Versa, and how difficult is that to do?
    MSRP (manufacturer's) suggested retail price is that suggested price for the car, doesn't mean you have to pay for it. Here in PHX when the FIT's came to market showcare Honda was asking 3K in MAP or (Market Adjustment price) for them, yes 3K profit over and above the build in profit that MSRP gives them. I saw the FIT on friday, and on Sunday got a call telling me that the Fits are on sale up to 3K off.. I laughed, and THIS was from a 'sales mamager.' I guess what I'm getting at is, you pay what you feel is fair, granted dealers make money is lots of different ways, whether its in the Fianceing, or add ons they put on the car.

My rule is, if you have a 'gut' feeling something isn't right, then something isn't right, LEAVE...

Tony
  • reuropareuropa Member Posts: 7
    Wanted to way in on my experience. Just bought the 2007 Versa SL, CVT transmission, with convenience package and I am thrilled to death with it. Over last several days, I test drove 11 cars from several different dealers and makers. (I actually really dug the Mazda3, but I didn't like the handling much on some turns and how it handled bumps, and the sales guy I dealt with was rather jerkish. So that was a real turnoff). Saw a review of the Versa on Edmunds and thought, hey, I like this. Kind of funky car. So I drove it yesterday, then wanted to mull it over a bit, do some price comparisons, etc. Went back today and bought it. I ended up with the black exterior, beige interior, spash guards, bluetooth, leather steering column with the mounted controls, remote keyles entry, alloy wheels - the full convenience package. Was quoted original price of $16,715 (minus tax, title, tags). I got the car for $16,415, plus $1,000 cash down and $1300 on a trade-in (pleasant surprise, since bluebook and others rated my car as worth maybe $950 on trade in; my trade-in was a 95 Neon Highline with 95k miles on it). So I paid $14,115 (before tax, title, tags). Wanted a sunroof, but didn't stress over it since I can get it much cheaper anyway later in aftermarket. (Same with stereo & speakers. I always prefer to go with my own stereo shops for audio systems.) I had a great sales guy and overall, it was a pleasant experience. No pressure (since I said up front that I'm pretty flexible and if they couldn't get me the car at a price I wanted, well, there were certainly hundreds of other car makers and dealerships I'd be happy to give my money to ). Mine also came with full tank of gas. So once I fill up again, will be interesting to see what the true mileage city/highway is. I also opted for a two-year lease, something I've never done. But hey, there's a first time for everything But overall, I'm pretty happy. I bought from a dealership in Maryland (Glen Burnie). Would happily recommend them to anyone in the area looking at the Versa.
  • nag2nag2 Member Posts: 3
    I bought versa SL with CVT Auto Transmission for 16,000 on the road (including tax, title and tags).
    Actually I got $500 rebate for graduate student. I think this is below invoice price.
    Actual sticker price on the car is 16,205. I sent online quotations for couple of dealers.
    I bought it form the least quoted dealer. This dealership is in Baltimore Maryland.
    Some dealers are selling this vehicle for less than $500 on MSRP, My suggestion is don’t buy this vehicle for MSRP.
    First tank of gas I got 364 miles (31.6/Galon).I am getting good mileage.
  • bpechlanerbpechlaner Member Posts: 4
    Just came home with a brand new Versa (onyx blue w/tan)from Vallejo Nissan in the San Francisco Bay Area.

They had a special on 2 Versa's this weekend for $12,995 -- yes, that's with the floor mats AND the power package -- a great, great price and much better than the other quotes I received.

So I called them and they had the color I wanted so I drove there on Monday to get it...but was turned away by the floor manager because the onyx blue one was not part of the ad. Mistakes can happen...but of course I was quite disappointed that I had been misinformed and wrote an email to the dealership explaining my experience. Didn't really expect a response -- but my wife got a call and I got an email back this afternoon from the owner / general manager (who was not in the store when I was there for my futile purchase attempt) telling us that they "...have built their dealership on customer satisfaction and this was a huge breakdown in their efforts..." and that he would honor the price! Drove back up there tonight and got to pick up the car with a full tank of gas and the first 2 services for free!

I have to say that I have never been so impressed with a car dealership before even when I thought that I had gotten a good deal. Outstanding price, outstanding service and absolutely no pressure. Great job!

Bernie

Love my Versa, BTW! :)
    You got a GREAT deal because you caught the dealer in one of those advertising scams they love to use. Unfortunately for them, it's hard to pull when they only have 2 Versa's on the lot. I think that very few people will be able to beat your price.

One of the current advertising tricks in New England is to say that a dealer has say 20 2006 Honda Civics for $9,995. IF you read the fine print at the bottom of the ad it may say that some of the cars are not new, some were loaners or employee cars and therefore may have several thousand miles on them.

Of course the most common trick is to offer a ridiculous price on a popular car, then below the ad, put just one STK#, meaning there is only one car at that price. No matter what time you get there, that car will have been sold.

Congratulations - you got a great deal just because you took the time to send an email. Chaulk one up for the consumer.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    Did that price include the $605 freight charge?
    @ sngwrtr: No scam in this case. Fact is that they only had 2 when they ran the ad....the one that I bought came in after the fact! So I really don't feel like it was a "bait and switch"...they really don't need to honor a weekend ad on a Monday concerning a different car...and fact is that most dealerships would have never honored something like this...
    I am very pleased!

@rcinmd: yes, including the destination charge!
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    not every mistake a dealer makes is a scam. the dealer stood by its ad and sold a car that wasnt part of the ad for the sale price. good for them! they could have just as easily said "no, that was not included in our sale, tough luck" and be done with it. hopefully bpechlaner, you'll refer your friends there as a dealership that stands by their word. the good guys deserve to get the business!

congrats on your versa btw!
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    That truly is an "astonishing" price right now without rebates, since it is actually under invoice by about $300. I can get the car for less than your price, but that is only because I can buy under the VPP plan (employee pricing), and not for all that much less. So I would say you got a heck of a deal.
    good to know....needless to say I'm very happy! Best experience ever buying a car!

Bernie
    Even though it apparently wasn't a scam, you have to feel pretty good about taking the time to write that email. After all they did turn you down initially. So that few minutes you took to send the email really paid off! At that price, plus the freebies, you paid $3,000 - $4,000 less than a lot of us. Again congrats!! I'm still a little shocked that they even had them advertised for $12,995. Here in New England, I haven't heard of anyone adding to the MSRP yet, but I do know that all of the dealers I checked out are selling at sticker.
    Yes....I do feel good. I would have paid MSRP when it comes down to it. Got very lucky with this one. Did get the extended warranty though (7 years for 900 something) so I ended up there anyways. Kinda wish I had not gotten it (no, I wasn't pressured...just offered!) and bought some alloys with wider / better tires instead.
    Nevertheless...I wouldn't have thought that I'd be happy with commuter car ;-)