Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Low sulfur fuels

sgilleysgilley Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
I have a 1993 F-250 7.3L engine. Do the low sulfer deisel fuels cause the o-rings in my fuel injectors to leak? And will it cause other problems? And, what about the ultra-low sulfer fuels for 2007?

Comments

• winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    ULSD (S15) is a drier fuel then the present S500 diesel we can still obtain at present. By drier I mean it has less lubricity. Will it have an impact on O-rings? Probably not but the impact of a fuel with less lubricity will be seen on the injection pump.

I would suggest contacting your local Ford dealer or even better a good local diesel shop to see what their take on ULSD (S15) will be on your 1993 7.3L. Another suggestion would be to see if you can use a biodiesel blend such as B2 or B5. Either of these blends should resolve the lubricity issue, but they could cause a problem with O-rings.

I drive a Jeep Liberty CRD and it is designed to run on S15.
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    The ULSD fuel will not hurt your Power Stroke.

The oil companies have been making ULSD for years in Europe. Don't take my word. Go to the forum at Fred's TDI. Do a search on the subject and you will find tons of good information there. I also have a Power Stroke and a Passat TDI and I'm very please to get the new low sulfur fuel.
  • surfpilot78surfpilot78 Member Posts: 2
    ULSD could definately hurt your Power Stroke!

To the person (or people) who says ultra low sulfur diesel won't hurt a Ford Power Stroke: By you saying "hurt" I am assuming you also mean dirty diesel dripping all over a clean motor and driveway. Are you sure your getting ULSD and not LSD? Well you better do some research about the current events ma-man. Myself and my family live in Phoenix, and the ULSD is a very recent change to our pumps. My dad and my mom both have 7.3l diesels, one in a 2001 E350 15 pass and my dad has the 2000 4x4 Crew. Both are retired, and BABY thier vehicles. My mom uses hers to run kids back and forth to school,(Its a wheelchair van for disabled kids). Both of their vehicles have less than 70,000 miles. About a few weeks ago in early Oct, the van accumulated a puddle of oil overnight. They took it to Ford, and luckily the extended warranty they bought covered the problem. Apparently the O-rings on the High Pressure Oil Pump leaked. Fixed, and still not leaking. Oct 17th (Tues) Now its a puddle of fuel! Now it gets frustrating. Ford DID NOT pay for the $500 Water Separator. Well it gets worse. Dad discovered a puddle of fuel on the driveway yesterday (Fri). Haven't taken it in yet. I would bet money that this is going to be well known throughout the country quick. My dad had 240,000 miles on his 97 F350 with only one injector leak. I have a VW TDI (2005) and no leaks yet. The logic behind this is simple. All the fuel comes in from one spot in Phx called "Tenders". Both ULSD, and LSD came in simotaneously until the permanant switch to ULSD was made. I feel bad for my parents and everyone else that has weak O-rings in thier diesels. I am also concerned about the hot streets of Phoenix with ULSD leaking all over the ground. I have heard in some of these posts that a 50/50 biodiesel/ULSD could work. Using a lot of biodiesl would get a little pricey. Is it just the fuel in Phoenix? Does someone know what can actually help? What about all of our emergency vehicles? This is an obvious problem we can't ignore. HELP FORD!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    What you are saying fits with some early complaints about ULSD. Older engines in semi trucks were going to have a problem with the lower levels of sulfur. I guess sulfur is a lubricant. Your VW TDI was designed to use ULSD. It should be running good with less problems than with the older 500 PPM sulfur diesel. Biodiesel also has lubricating qualities, so may help. Your folks may be in for some big repair bills. Time to trade them in on vehicles with warranties. Although we had fits with our newer 6.0L Fords in Alaska. May be time for a GMC or Dodge diesel.
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    ULSD has not hurt my 2000 Ford Power Stroke.

If it does, I will get another diesel truck other than a Ford.

What I'm really saying is the spin against ULSD is a bunch of junk..............................
    I know that I only used BP ULSD in my Passat the year I owned it. Never a miss. It ran clean and fast. I did read that the older big truck engines would need some kind of additive for lubrication. BP/ARCO ULSD runs great in my MB Cruiser also. Never any smell or dirty exhaust.
  • surfpilot78surfpilot78 Member Posts: 2
    Well, Both vehicles (van and truck) have now had the Fuel Water Seperators go bad. My dad is trying to get his $500 back from Bell Ford of Phoenix because they told them it wasnt covered under warranty, but it should be! 100k mile warranty!! hello! My mom got an email about a national government warning that ULSD can cause leaks in newer diesels. Are you saying all 7.3 liter diesels are doomed for repairs? I would take a powerstroke over a Duramax anyday, but the Cummins is an industrial motor. I didnt know Chevy and Dodge are ahead of ford for fuel tolerance. I figured the Germans are ahead. The 1.9L TDI was in Europe for years before it came across the pond.
    Seems to be some conflicting stories here. Some are not having any problems with the Powerstroke and ULSD. Maybe it is a local fuel issue. Not all ULSD is the same. I still don't see Ford getting out of a warranty if they are using #2 diesel and can prove that. Low sulfur diesel and ULSD have been in CA for several years. There are millions of Powerstroke 7.3s in CA.
  • texasgunrunnertexasgunrunner Member Posts: 1
    All ULSD is definitely not the same. I have been using the BP ULSD since we got stuck with it here in Texas and it seems to work pretty well. Our fleet PowerStrokes are all at least 3-5 years old and we are starting to see some problems with the pumps in the vehicles where an additive was not used with ULSD. In my personal vehicle, a 2006 F250, I always add DieselKleen when I fill up to prevent any problems. It does not replace the sulfur lubricant found in older diesel fuels, but it does offer an excellent alternative that works very well. We have used DieselKleen in all of our fleet vehicles and it has spared us at least two pumps from ULSD so far so it has to be worth something. Being that I have used DieselKleen for so long i'm not sure what other additives there are out there that are effective but i'm sure there are plenty available. Of course you always blend in a little kerosene to things running smoothly if it's available in your area.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    The low sulphur fuel has been around since 94. So any problems they had have been taken care of. It did cause some injection pump problems on the big trucks, but we didn't see many problems with the light fleet/pickups.

There have beeen some complaints of older powerstroke and Cummins engines having injector pumps leaks from the ULSD.

Most of the problems have been in pre-2000 diesels.
    On older (pre-97) 7.3L Fords, with return hoses that weren't in the best of shape, the ULSD has caused them to leak. While this isn't attributed solely to the ULSD, it is something for folks with older Ford diesels to be aware of.
  • alaskamechalaskamech Member Posts: 1
    Well it's been 2 years since that was posted, I wonder if he still like the ULSD. I've had my 91 dodge start leaking from an O-ring,fortunately was an easy fix; and I've had my 95 chevy 6.5 T/D leak from all over and have to be rebuilt. I don't know if it's just up here in Alaska, or everywhere, but the price for ULSD is being paid excessively by all owners of diesel engines older than 06 or 07. Fuel should NOT cause damage! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
This discussion has been closed.