Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• jma7jma7 Member Posts: 10
    To: mckinnis,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice post. I read all the messages here and had the impression that the brake on LX 470 is not good. I mentioned this to the dealer and he did not agree. So I test drove the car then and did fot feel the brake has any problem. It is excellent!

I guess some people just complain too much.
  • ixixviixixvi Member Posts: 24
    jma7,

The Rear Wind Deflector is an option. You pay a couple hundred more for this option. My understanding is that the distributor for the California area orders the 01 LX 470 with the Rear Wind Deflector.

Good luck with your vehicle.
  • tskyplayertskyplayer Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know when Lexuc plans on changing the 470's body style? My greatest fear is to by a vehicle as expensive as the 470 only to have the style change the next year.
  • swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    I think 2002 for 2003 model, according to car magazines. Swift
  • glamourlifeglamourlife Member Posts: 49
    Lexus should not change the styling of a $60K+ vehicle so quickly. It will diminish resale values of the current vehicle and cause potential buyers, such as myself, to look elsewhere.

I was under the impression that the changes would be to the engine and suspension, and not the design. German manufacturers know how to do it. The ML has been out since '97 as a '98 model, and its design won't change until 2005. The X5 probably won't change for at least 6-8 years either. It's a shame that Toyota treats it's Lexus division the same as it's Toyota cars. You can change a Camry every 2-3 years, but Luxury buyers demand more from a design.
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    If Motor Trend's info is accurate (don't know for fact) they say: "2004 Toyota Land Cruiser: Production scheduled to end on the Land Cruiser. The success of the Tundra-based Sequoia will influence the decisions on the next generation Land Cruiser."

BUT there is no mention in 2002-2004 about the LX470 getting the axe, an update or anything??? Must be either the Legend will fall (TLC) and maybe Lexus will get the TLC all to its own as the LX470. But who knows. People may backlash at the new Sequoia having nearly as much mark up on a 4x4 Ltd as the TLC does and maybe people won't buy the new Seq in droves. Who knows? I bet the CEO @ toyota doesn't even know for sure.

Good luck.
  • f888l888f888l888 Member Posts: 45
    Normal or not, that is the qestion!

Congratulations!! You got the vibration.

I agree your wife is qualified to say normal since she is a licensed physician.

I also think Lexus is qualified to say normal in HNL vibration becuase lexus makes lx470.

As a layman, I have never expressed whether the vibration in HNL shifter is normal or not normal. I just bring this issue to the attention of Lexus and tried to get a response from Lexus stating that the HNL vibration is normal. At first, Lexus made every attempt to remedy this problem. (Indeed, after the fix, the intensity of the vibration lessens significantly) After knowing that the vibration issue can not be totally eliminated, the representative from Lexus reluctantly acknowledged my request to send a letter stating that the vibration in HNL shifter is normal. Now, three weeks later, I still have not got the letter. I wonder why it is so difficult for Lexus to say that the HNL shifter vibration is normal (and so easy for you lx buyers to say it is normal). And, better yet, to say the HNL vibration is really a feature, not a bug.

Look, folks, I have no problem with the HNL vibration. I just don't understand why Lexus will not state proudly that the HNL vibration is normal.
    Well, Lx450 buyers should feel the pain.

As a general rule, body style change will come sooner rather than later due to competition, easy redesign due to computer-aided design process, to promote sales, etc....

Mercedes now goes for 7-year(used to be 10 or longer) cycle for each generation of cars. The slated body style change for ML class( included a full size one) is for model year 2002, no later than 2003. Since Lx body style is a reincarnation of Landcruiser, when and if landcruiser changes.. Under the circumstances, I bet that the body style of Lx will be changed sooner rather than later. Buyers of lx 470, like it or not, be damned. If you are really concerned, buy it in the first year when the body style changed.
  • cs6863cs6863 Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking about getting an SUV. What is "body roll"?

Thanks
    I am not an expert in car. So, don't take this comment seriously.

SUV is designed to go off-road (although most Lx 470 buyers used it on paved road). For this reason, the clearance must be high (much higher than cars) which creates the higher center of gravity(?). So, if you make a quick turn, in car, you may feel a slight roll (for example, if rear passengers fail to use safety belt, he or she may move from one side to the other), in SUV, it may roll over. ( I knew two Lx450 roll over events during the past year)

Body roll, in layman's term, is a measurement for the SUV body movement when changing the direction of the SUV,i.e., change lane, or emergency manuever in avoiding accident. As a general rule, SUV has much higher body roll leading to roll over. ( a hot debate item in highway safety Bureau which leads to some legislative attempt in Congress.)

Having said that, Lx470 appears to have lower body roll than other SUVs I personally know of.I don't know why, but it may be attributed to the LX470 variable adampt suspension system and automatic height control.

Unless you absolutely need the utilities offered by SUV ( such as cargo space, seating capacity, off-road or whatever), it is advised not to buy an SUV, Lexus or else. Good luck.
  • glamourlifeglamourlife Member Posts: 49
    All of the info I have heard says that the Body won't change until 2005. I do feel that they need to change the styling sooner however because that is the ML's only weak point.
  • janaschicagojanaschicago Member Posts: 11
    I am in the market for a lx 470 but can't help but notice how the other new luxury SUVs are coming up with more horsepower, 0 to 60 times, towing ability, etc...

Does anyone know if Lexus is going to upgrade the engine (don't get me wrong, it is already a very impressive engine) for more horsepower in the coming years?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    As far as FLorida goes, whenever a Vehicle has over "0" Miles on it, it is considered used. Some insane law.. but it's true. Whenever we write up an order, I select "Titled Used" or "Titled New (but defined as used by FL CFR...etc..)"

As far as bodystle changes and resale.. I don't think that it will hurt the Current LX unless there is a drastic upgrade. If the next LX is an LX600 with a 400hp 6.0L V12, Gets 35MPG, Costs $39,995 etc.. then of course the LX470s will suffer as the LX450s did. The 450s suffered because the 470 is such a vastly superior automobile. That's why Wholesale on a 1997 LX450 is over $10,000 below that of a 1998 LX470.

It's also why Certified LX470s fly off of our lot, and the LX450s can sit.

Bill in Orlando
    Everybody: Anybody knows about the Lexus loyalty rebate? Where can I find the information? thanks in advance. Swift
  • rockwell4rockwell4 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for repair manuals for lx470. I know I can order them at the dealer for $200 but am looking for another source.
  • halfwassenhalfwassen Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 LX470 which does not have a trailer hitch. Is it possible to install one after manufacture? Does it have to come from the factory with the towing package? Thanks for your input.
  • txnativetxnative Member Posts: 2
    I want to have my snow tires on separate rims for my new '01 Lexus LX-470. I can get aftermarket wheels for the 97-98 LX-450 but am unsure if they would fit. Does anyone know if wheels from a 97-98 LX-450 will fit? Or how about Land Cruiser wheels from 2000 or 2001? The Lexus dealer has no clue (or just wants to sell me Lexus replacements which are very expensive).
  • mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    I have a set of four OEM rims & tires off of my '98 LC in perfect condition and I might be interested in parting with them.

Scott
    San Diego
    Everybody: $500 loyalty rebate apply to current or previous(6mons)Lexus/Toyota owner, as I am told by Lexus customer service center. Swiftm
  • txnativetxnative Member Posts: 2
    Scott,
    I am not sure when I add in the shipping to Texas that it would be cost effective, or if they will even fit. I have found out that the LX-450 wheels have a different offset so they are out. By the way, what did you put on you LC in place of the OEM rims?
    Presley
    Austin, TX
  • mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    You're right, LC-80/LX-450 have a different lug pattern that the LC-100/LX-470.

I Bought some wheels made by a company called Prime. They were good quality and really reasonable because they were a close-out. My '91 LC was one of the first units in the country and it came stripped with tiny wheels that made it look ridiculous. I did manage 180,000 miles before I sold it and got a '98 LC. I prefer a taller beefier wheel/tire and removed the stock wheels and replaced them with the big Jaos wheels I got used off the demo Lexus the marketer in LA utilized. Thus is the reason why I have a spare set of OEM '98 LC wheels & tires.
  • rlprlp Member Posts: 2
    I would appreciate feedback on how much of a discount I should expect on a new 2000 LX470.
    Invoice $54,975, Retail $63,332.
    Thanks
    Rlp: I sugg. $54975, not a penny more. I paid $36 over invoice three months ago. Want mine? Swiftm
  • cosbycosby Member Posts: 2
    The Lexus slogan has been updated:

It is now "The Passionate pursuit of perfection."

No, really.

/:} = The people's eyebrow
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    Hello, I currently own three BMW'S a 740i, x5 4.4, and a 330ci convertiable. I rarely drive the 3 series because I love the x5 so very much. I am looking to replace the 3 series with a lx470, since that was my second choice ( actually I almost bought one, but my dealer had gotten a 4.4 in that very day, so I took it, great deal.). Well anyway my wife really enjoyed the third row of the lexus, so much rommier than the Mercedes one. You see we only have two children, but she is constantly driveing both of them places with their friends. I know it seems wierd replaceing a sports car wiht a big SUV but the 3 sereies wasnt all that practical anyway.
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    Hello, I currently own three BMW'S a 740i, x5 4.4, and a 330ci convertiable. I rarely drive the 3 series because I love the x5 so very much. I am looking to replace the 3 series with a lx470, since that was my second choice ( actually I almost bought one, but my dealer had gotten a 4.4 in that very day, so I took it, great deal.). Well anyway my wife really enjoyed the third row of the lexus, so much rommier than the Mercedes one. You see we only have two children, but she is constantly driveing both of them places with their friends. I know it seems wierd replaceing a sports car with a big SUV but the 3 sereies wasnt all that practical anyway.
    The passionate pursuit of perfection. Oh,intersting. May be the new slogan shall be " the passionate pursuit of purrfection". Well, I have nothing against purrfection. My cats do that all the time.

Talking of purrfection, lexus still fail to state that the HNL vibration is normal.( it's been 6 or 8 weeks waiting for written confirmation) Since the new slogan is introduced, may be Lexus will not concede that the HNL vibration is normal.

For the past 4 weeks, most of the time, the lx470 I have was not performed purfectly (sitting on the garage). Otherwise, it performed purr-fectly, including the beeping sound when it dealt with slipping wheels.

For would-be new lx 470 buyers, it seems the pricing power of lexus is reduced somewhat (local one price dealer is now eagerly to deal). Wait until next February, and you might even get under invoice.
  • fancy_toofancy_too Member Posts: 2
    Everyone,

I have contacted Lexus customer satisfaction regarding this problem as a result of some of the post. I have spoken with two people and both have said they are not aware of the problem and advised me to talk to someone in the service department at my local dealership. Maybe that's is why Lexus is not responding. Also, I'm curious about the gas mileage (city). Appreciate any feedback.
  • sweetv12sweetv12 Member Posts: 58
    <<By the way, have you, or has anyone, noticed the
    recent absence in this topic of messages from
    salespeople like Connie Johnson, Bill Mullen, Shane
    Palmer, and Theresa Reefer, who used to show up
    here fairly frequently as representatives of Lexus
    dealers who were willing to "deal aggressively"?
    [rewyllys]
    >>

Interesting observation. Now that you mention it.....

On a different tack, I talked to the [only] Lexus dealer in Portland, OR and they say biz is great. A bunch of arrogant folks and that has not changed. Meanwhile, my buddies here are all buying from out of state! I will buy my [nav ML] LX from WA or CA in the next week. It will be WA if the first choice color (black) comes in as projected. I hear if you search diligently, you should pay right around $60K FULLY LOADED.....
  • rewyllysrewyllys Member Posts: 24
    Dear Sweetv12,

Thanks for your comment on the expected price of an LX470 "FULLY LOADED". Would you be willing to share (either here in this topic or via private email; just click on rewyllys in the title line to get my email address) the name of the dealer in WA that is willing to deal reasonably?

Frankly, as one who would much prefer living in the Pacific Northwest to the hotbox of Austin, TX, I'd love an excuse to go to your area to pick up my LX470 in January or February. Hence, I'd like to include the WA dealer when I start making serious inquiries in a little over a month.

Thanks.

Ron Wyllys
  • doug5790doug5790 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 LX470 pearl white with roof rack
    and wood wheel package. The only problem I ever found, in 10,500 miles, with the vehicle is a flutter noise when you open only one back window. I believe it to be an air pressure thing as it disappears when a second window is opened.
    I am considering a new one, and would sell this one for $52,300. email doug5790@adelphia.net
    Consider these three options:

Option 1. I have heard from a salesperson that the sales manager at their dealership told this salesperson to stop participating on this board. It seems that the sales manager may have gotten pressure from above [maybe other dealers complaining to Lexus] about cars being sold out of area etc.

Option 2. I think that as the economy slows nationwide more dealers are now willing to make deals on 01 LX 470. Hence, the advantage the dealers who appeared on this board had over local dealers not willing to negotiate has vanished.

When a local dealer is willing to make a competitive deal thus no shipping costs, it is very difficult for the out of area dealer to compete.

Option 3. I am also told that most dealers have now awakened to the reality of the internet and how this affects business. Internet savvy customers now make the deal before they walk into the dealership. So to adjust to this dealers now have a two tier sales strategy. Internet customers get one price to secure that sale prior to walk in, and walk in off the street customers another price.

I am now in possession of my 01 LX 470. I have put just over 600 miles so far. I am very happy with it. No complaints. Everything works. The Navigation system is great.

Regards.
  • vbentleyvbentley Member Posts: 21
    Yes - I can see these options happening. As to option 3, this is exactly what happened in my case. This past July I got one walk-in price (I walked out because of it) and then another much lower one when I asked for my dealers lowest email quote. Then option 2 happened - with the lowest over all email quote in hand, I asked my local dealer for an even lower quote. Got one that was even lower and which beat my lowest out-of-state + shipping quote. Perhaps lexus dealers are catching on to this internet "revolution"...

4K and no problems with my 2000 LX470 (except getting it away from my wife long enough to actually get to drive it. :)
  • vbentleyvbentley Member Posts: 21
    After my last post, I sent Theresa Reefer at Riverside Lexus a short note. Here is part of her response:

"No I have gotten no pressure from above, but unfortunately, pricing on the LX470's is not as aggressive as it used to be and trying to find a 2001 LX470 with navigation (which everyone seems to want right now) is like pulling teeth. They are coming to the dealership very few and far between, my last allocation of cars only had two. I hate to promise cars to customers that are impossible to get (I had one customer wait 3 months for his), so I've quietly backed away from the LX470 race. I do however, have a hundred RX300's inbound, so if you know anyone that is interested, please send them my way."

Rather than something sinister, it sounds like we have simple supply and demand in action...
    vbentley,

I think what you have reported from Theresa applies to Option 3. Post # 271

Dealers make more profit from walk in customers than from internet savvy customers. Hence, if there is high demand for a particular model with certain features you sell your entire allocation to walk in customers to maximize profit.

The information I was given may just apply to that salesperson and how they presented themselves on the board. However, I have not been in touch for months now and so I really have no idea what has transpired since then.

Am I glad I made my deal for a Nav,Mark Lev. before this short supply situation. I sensed this might happen as I had been sitting on the sidelines for some years waiting to buy a LX 470 when it had a Nav option. I guess so were a lot of other people.

Take care.
  • topgntopgn Member Posts: 132
    In today's market when most of us are losing money in stocks( ok it's only a loss on paper unless you sell) So, what about selling the LX470 and buying the Sequoia at about $36,000. for a SR-5 two wheel drive ( most off road done is a dirt road) this is a 2000 LX470

Any opinions here ????
    That could be interesting, but even though most of the LX buyers would, won't and will not TRUELY go off road (wine country doesn't count) 4x4 or 2x4 Seq. will not do for many reasons.

Luxury, appeal, build quality and the overall kick butt sound system that comes with it. Most buyers are either empty nesters or those who have the money for the extra cushion it offers over the TLC. But if you can drop the change for the LX you are not looking to regain any money by going down to a Seq.
  • devengdeveng Member Posts: 5
    Going off topic from pricing, the manual says to use 91 octane or higher (87 = regualar, 89 = midgrade, and 93 = super (some places have 94 as well), but I have not seen 91. The manual also essentially states that improper gas can cause damage to the engine caused by heavy knowcking and to only use regular unleaded temporarily if that is the only fuel available. I undrstand the knocking issue, and the loss of power under heavy tow, uphill, or acceleartion, etc, but does this really happen? After spending megabugs on a SUV, a few extra dollars a week on gas is not a big deal, but does lower octaine in multi-valve engines cause problems?
  • buckellbuckell Member Posts: 1
    Hello...Have you had any luck? I would like to do the same.
    Finally got a written confirmation from Lexus regarding the HNL vibration. Unfortunately, the letter is not written in plain English. Kind of like Microsoft claiming a bug is really not a bug, but a feature. Or like Gore claimed that count and recount is really paramount concern for democracy. Whether he wins the presidency is not that vital. Ok, the letter acknowledged that the HNL vibration is " operating as designed". Well, may it please the board, I shall construe that arcane phrase " operating as designed" as "Normal" in plain English.

Well, if Al continues his fight and count, recount, chads, trials, lawyers, Supreme courts of all kinds, etc., buyers of Lx 470 will surely get a price break as Al Gore works his magic by reducing wealth and demand. Hey, Al Gore, keep fighting, all you have to do is finding another 538 votes. Or, else, you can buy a new 01 lx470 and move back to Ten of C. A win win strategy for Al.
  • tmoralestmorales Member Posts: 11
    I have been experiencing what seems to be lifter noise right after starting my 2000 LX 470 the last couple of very cold mornings. It is a slight noise(tack-tack-tack) that I don't hear once the car has been on for about a minute. Has anyone else experienced this on cold mornings? Thanks for your help.
  • ichiban470ichiban470 Member Posts: 45
    about buying a LX470? Bought my wife one (Pearl white, Nakamichi, rearwing, chrome wheels, etc.) last May '00. The LX has 7,000 miles and has had it's first service @ the dealer. So far not a single problem! Still very quite inside and solid inside and out! Drove it up to Tahoe this month to go skiing and had no problems going up the mountain or passing slow vehicles. Can't really complain about lack of power. Most of all the other SUV's couldn't keep up when I hit the hills but like everyone else I wouldn't mind extra hp. if offered.
    Quality is top rate on this SUV. BMW X5 / Merc. ML / Range Rover 4.6 : probably can't say the same and two of them don't come with a third seat. X5 and ML are usually compared to the RX300. If that is the case I would lean towards the X5 (tough call, built in N. Carolina, look at the ML quality track record and you'll see, built in Alabama.) over the RX. For what you pay for the LX you could buy a Range Rover and for a few extra thousand get the 4.6 but why? Very old style, poor quality, no third seat, and poor dealer service! All around the LX came out ahead for me and my family (2 kids and a dog.).
  • y2ktlcy2ktlc Member Posts: 6
    I know this is a LX board, but...

tmorales: I have 8k on my 00 TLC. Since last 3 week or so I also experienced a similar noise when engine cold start in the morning or late night. It has a short "puu" sound and occurs only once or twice in the first minute. I went to see the service manager, and was told he has never heard about this kind of compliant. Please post if you found out what the problem is.

Well, other than this everything is fine. It runs 18 on highway. I measured at least 6 times. 363 miles to Boston, and filled to top with 20 gal. 20 gal is when the fuel light flashing and needle pointing to E. I don't know the reason behind the 5 gal reserve, but I don't mind it as long as I know I still can drive for a while until I found the gas station.
    If this noise is only occuring when you start the car for the very first time (whether outside temperature is cold or not) during the day, then this noise may come from so called "automatic system check-up such as abc, anti-slip, etc" and if this noise is only lasted for only seconds, then, based on owner manual, it is NORMAL.

P.S. I think I finally figure out Al Gore's position. I shall not admit defeat until I succeed.
  • y2ktlcy2ktlc Member Posts: 6
    Thanks...
    When I went to Boston, my son also thought it's the startup checking, but my wife just can't trust her son, a chip designer, than a service technician on the vehicle issues. Yesterday, I turned off the stereo on my 94'ES300, and I can hear a short "fuu" sound as oppose to "PUU" on TLC. I never paid attention to ES startup noise since I let the stereo on all the time and seldom warm it up. ES runs fine and never has any problems. That's why when buying SUV, I prefer to have LX but my practical half decided to have TLC.

BTW, Cantonese(in southern China) consider 888 is a good number. You double it well. :-)
    "888" is just a prefix for toll free call. Nothing more.

By the way, my mom never took my words seriously, even though I have post-graduate degree and she can barely read. But, it doesn't matter. My mom always acted like those justices sitting in the Florida Supreme Court and I got overruled, most of the time.

I would have bought TLC but for the variable suspension system in lx. You can play with different settings of suspension and you feel like you own several cars in one car. The adjustable height feature might be valuable for those who have difficulty in moving his or her hips.
  • rewyllysrewyllys Member Posts: 24
    I had a chance today to visit a Lexus dealership in one of the larger cities in Texas (not Austin). He told me that the 2001 LX470s just started arriving at dealers in November.

When I commented that that sounded to me like a late start to the model year, he countered that Lexus "doesn't pay much attention to what the rest of the industry does." He went on to say that the LX470 that was sitting prominently in front of the building was that dealership's first 2001 LX470 and that it had arrived "only a week and a half ago." When I asked him whether the short supply meant that he would not be interested in selling below MSRP, he invited me to make an offer.

Unfortunately, I won't be in a position to buy an LX470 till next month (and, besides, I had a plane to catch), so I simply told him I'd be in touch with him in January. But I filed away in my mind the fact that that LX470 had been at that dealership for "a week and a half" already without being sold. OTOH, it lacked the navigation system.

Ron Wyllys
  • cul8tercul8ter Member Posts: 10
    1. I have a 2001 LX470 and have been experiencing vibrations that feel similar to poorly balanced tires. These vibrations are very significant and two tire balances have not solved the problem. The vibrations occur at all speeds whether accelerating or decelerating, whether the suspension dampening setting is on comfort or sport, and whether the pavement is rough or smooth. The vibrations are constant and can be felt through the seat and the steering wheel. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what's the cause and was the problem solved?

2. The second row seat on the passenger side also rattles and shakes so much that I have to fold it down. It sounds like the leather between the two sections of the second row is rubbing together to produce a fairly loud, irritating noise. Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, how was the problem solved?

3. Finally, the wood on the steering wheel is much lighter in color than the other wood in the interior. Does any one know why?
  • yisteryister Member Posts: 5
    I did what one person did on this site, I shotgun requested for a LX470, fully loaded, for $61K. Most came back with a counter of $65K to $67K. One, however, said he was not interested in a price war. I responded that I was only trying to get the best deal for my money while at the same time paying a reasonable price for a very expensive vehicle. He came back with an offer of $62,579. Can anyone tell me if this is a good price? Edmund's TMV stated $62,082.
    It is tough to say if it is a "fair" price or not. The bigger issue is do you feel comfortable paying that price? Is it within your area of wiggle room? Since most are offering $65-67 I would feel a price in the mid $62.5 range would be good compared to them.

Have you emailed any of the Lexus Reps who post in this forum? They may be able to offer you a similar deal or at least let you know the "value" of that quote.

Good Luck.