Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan: Tell Ford What You Want!

Comments

• Options
    dlangdlang Member Posts: 59
    Under pressure to further reduce losses, Ford Motor Co. is considering closing more factories and cutting salaried jobs and benefits by 10% to 30%, according to a media report Thursday.

The moves, if approved by Ford's (F: news) board of directors at a Sept. 14, would come in addition to its Way Forward restructuring, which calls for cutting North American white-collar salary costs by 10% by the end of 2006's first quarter and closing 14 plants by 2012, The Wall Street Journal reported in its online edition, citing unnamed people familiar with the plans. See Wall Street Journal story (subscription required).

Ford Chairman and Chief Executive Bill Ford Jr. is under pressure to speed up cost-cutting efforts after the auto maker reported a $254 million loss in the second quarter and worse-than-expected July U.S. sales, The Journal said.

The company declined to comment on the report, according to The Journal.
  • Options
    lahirilahiri Member Posts: 394
    I will consider Fusion/ Mazda6 if it gets the 3.5L V6 + 6 speed automatic.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I actually live in the suburbs, not the boonies. ;)
    Ever asked the dealership what they could do for you?
    Cheapness is all in your perspective. The perspective of one that has had bad MPG so it may cloud your view. Design defect? where? Please go over these again. I missed your posts. There have been no recalls on the Fusion or Milan? What defects? :confuse:
  • Options
    The typical NYC metro Ford/Linoln/Mercury dealers are experts at con artistry but you are able to haggle more if you're persistent.

As for design defects, the obvious one on the Milan POS is the extra wide turning circle which makes it virtually impossible to parallel park in one shot, something you probably don't do much of in the Pacific NW. Even mall style parking is a hassle because you have to position the car far out to turn into your spot so you don't hit the cars on either side of your spot, again another two+ step process.

A Pacific NW suburb is a NorthEast boonie. A NYC suburb would be urban to you. :)
  • Options
    Just heard a radio ad for Milan on NYC radio. Says you get upto 32 mpg EPA. What a load of horses--t! Lucky if you get 14.

Ford, no wonder you're losing market share!
  • Options
    It's obvious with a statement like "I bet it won't make the media that the Fusion/Milan/Zeph are very reliable vehicles" you ARE A PAID POSTER from Ford. Such glowing adjectives, are they supplied from the Ford marketing dep't?

Come clean NOW!

How do you know what the future reliability of a new car line will be?
  • Options
    OK Ford, since you sent me that lovely letter from Deaborn inviting me to personally meet with your Ford Milan engineers at that exclusive weekend event in Mahwah, NJ, offering $125 to attend and then reneged on it, here are some additional problems feedback with your Milan POS for free:

The cloth covered sliding cardboard you call the moonroof cover leaks sun in.

The cheap piece of plastic used to adjust the sideview mirrors jiggles.

The ANNOYING low fuel message blocks out needed information like miles to empty. You constantly have to press RESET while driving, which begins at 1/4 tank fuel left.

When lights are on AUTO, and you leave car without pressing lock button on remote, headlights stay on.

The door cup holders can't hold the average 7-11 Big Gulp, Super Big Gulp or Double Big Gulp cups or any similar cup.

These are in addition to the notorious low city mpg, ~ 13mpg, and these previously posted problems:

The paint finish quality look and feel is poor compared to the Sable. The metallic finish is dull compared to the Sable's metallic finish.

The window glass is definitely thinner than the Sable.

The door sounds like a tin can when opening, you have to slam it to fully shut the door.

It poorly handles NYC potholes, the whole car rattles & shakes besides losing road grip.

The extra charge Audiophile sound system is a lousy substitute for the Mach Audio on the Sable, up the bass high and it sounds like an portable AM radio.

The steering control buttons are poorly designed, the bottom left and right buttons are fan speed and temperature. So, when you drive with your hands naturally resting on the spaces next to these two buttons, you CONSTANTLY change the climate control from Auto to fan speed and CONSTANTLY change the temperature up. And if you have the recirc air button on you have to keep repressing it when you repress Auto button. ANNOYING!

All your car models should have auto climate temperature control from 60-65 by degree as other car makers provide.
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Surely you must have known about a few of these things when you decided to buy or lease your Milan? Did you test drive it? Did you read anything about it?
  • Options
    nr9nr9 Member Posts: 55
    you can parallel park in one shot if you do it often enough. i can parallel park in one shot in taipei city in a mazda 6, which has the same turning circle. of course it is easier if you have a rear sensor, which all cars in taipei have.

the trick to mall style parking with large turning radius cars, is to BACK in to the parking spot. it is way easier than going in forwards.

i'll have to agree about poor MPG though. i'm driving a milan in the bay area with only 17.3MPG
  • Options
    i have a milan too.

the moonroof cover does not leak the sun in

the thing used to adjust the side mirrors is actually better than that in the mazda 6, and it doesnt jiggle

maybe the low fuel message means you should refuel?

i actually like the feature that the headlights stay on. it reminds you to lock the car.

the milan was the first car i drove with a door cup holder at all

i concur that mileage is low

the door feels good

it handles potholes way better than a mazda 6

maybe your steering hand position is incorrect. if your fingers are in any position to change those buttons, you are going to mess up your hands in any car with an airbag if the airbag deploys.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The door cup holders can't hold the average 7-11 Big Gulp, Super Big Gulp or Double Big Gulp cups or any similar cup.

These are in the Mazda6 too. They are called BOTTLE holders and are in no way intended for large beverage cups. Would you want hot or cold beverages spilling all over you leg anyway?

When lights are on AUTO, and you leave car without pressing lock button on remote, headlights stay on.

The lights stay on so you can see at night. If you don't lock the car they will still shut off eventually.

Maybe you should read the owner's manual because it's pretty obvious you didn't. :sick:
  • Options
    Yep, out here in the NW we still use out houses, have no electricityy too! Ya'll.. Please. I live in a medium size city, we have crowded streets and high rise buildings too.
    I have no problem parallel parking in my Fusion or mall parking...
  • Options
    Nope, not a paid Ford poster. Just an informed consumer. One that over the years has noted and confirmed and proved the media has been bashing anything Ford/GM/Dodge over the years.

I also take Motor Trend, Car/Driver and Automobile magazine. The only one that is still a non-bias mag is Automobile. I'll give you an example. In the latest Motor Trend they claim the Fusion has the looks but not the V6 to match, power ect.. Yet for the Acura with the 4cyl with less HP, less Torque, heavier car, slower 0-60 they praise it!!?? I can go on and on about this. Open your eyes, read, compare.. you'll see.. :surprise:
  • Options
    Ok, time to come clean. You are really a Honda salesperson trying desperatly to stop people from looking at the Milan for fear they may actually see something they like better, costs less.. right?? :shades:
  • Options
    dlang came from a sable. the milan is not a replacement for a sable, the milan is a smaller, lower priced car. dlang should have gotten a montego.
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    While I cannot agree with dlang on most of his points (dlang seems to find faults that no one else has been experienced), choice of a Milan or Fusion to replace a Taurus or Sable is a valid choice.

True, dimensionally, especially length, Milan/Fusion is shorter than Taurus/Sable, but it has nearly the same interior dimensions and trunk space as Taurus/Sable, so out of the Ford product line, Fusion/Milan will probably draw more previous Taurus/Sable owners than 500/Montego, due to better fuel efficiency, lower prices and availability of 4 cylinder models for those looking for even better fuel efficiency.
  • Options
    lesabreloverlesabrelover Member Posts: 9
    Yes, if Ford really wants this car to be spacious, they should remove the console. Put the gear selector on the steering column where it's out of the way and does not create a closed-in feeling.
  • Options
    snowman89snowman89 Member Posts: 36
    No no no...don't remove the console. If that's what you're hoping for then you need a bigger car, period. The console allows for valuable storage space and cupholders, and the Fusion's console is nice one (even though having a second power point INSIDE the console is ridiculous...it should be outside!). I've read it elsewhere and would agree that they should extend the armrest further forward just an inch or two. The Fusion is roomy car, with comfy seats front and back. NO sedan anywhere will comfortably accomodate 3 adults in the back seat who are going to be happy for more than a short ride.
  • Options
    The days of front bench seats in sedans are nearly over. Except for very large sedans, this is probably OK since you really can't sit three across anyways.

There are ways of getting the cupholder and storage space without a permanent fixed center console, however. My 2000 Taurus SES has a flip and fold center console, that has cupholders and some limited storage, but can also be folded away to form a center "cushion" that theoretically could hold a passenger, but not comfortably.

I believe this arrangement is still available on Buick Lacrosse, as they copied Ford on that feature, however most manufacturers have abandoned column shifter, only because of the lack of "coolness" of a column mounted shifter.
  • Options
    (even though having a second power point INSIDE the console is ridiculous...it should be outside!).

I believe that is the same design as what we Mazda6 owners have. There should be a removable cover under the "carpet" on the bottom of the top storage bin of the console. This pass through allows you to plug your charger into the power point in the bottom storage bin and keep the phone in the top bin while the cord stays out of the way in the bottom. It's a really nice design actually.

Can anyone vouch if the Fusion's setup is the same?
  • Options
    previous taurus/sable owners are looking to move up, not move down and the 500/montego is perfect.

the fusion/milan is at a lower price point. people usually do not want to own a higher price point car and trade in for a lower price point car.
  • Options
    Well I happen to be a 2000 Taurus owner and if I were to be looking in the Ford lineup today, my choice would be Fusion over 500, simply because Fusion has just about equal interior room and trunk space to my Taurus, has definitely better styling, inside and out than 500, and has enough improvements in drive train, engine, etc, to make most Taurus/Sable owners happy, and is competitively priced. I would bet many more will go with Fusion/Milan than 500/Montego.

Besides, my Taurus SES with Duratech cost me $18K before tax, title and license, and I would likely have to pay a bit more than that, $19K-20K, for an equivalent Focus V-6 SE model, which is closest to being equipped similarly to my Taurus. Won't be changing soon, however. I am at 60K miles and it is running great, so I plan on keeping it at least another 4 years, as I did with my 1990 Taurus. In fact, I might even go smaller, to a Focus size car next time around.

In this age of increasing fuel costs, a whole lot of people are "trading down" from SUV's to cars, so it really isn't that unusual now to go to a less expensive, more fuel efficient vehicle.
  • Options
    tappantappan Member Posts: 1
    The Milan is a great little sedan. Its features, styling, and overall build quality are tops. The V6 powerplant with 6-speed automatic is a perfect set-up for all but the most spirited driver....those may want to spend $40K for an Audi. At around $23K the Milan is just about unbeateable. But here are just a few little suggestions that would make the Milan even better...take the ignition switch off the column and put it on the dash where it's much easier to operate, like Sonata. Add a thin line of chrome trim around the exterior windows, like Accord and Camry. And add some additional soundproofing to deaden engine and road noise. And could somebody puh-leeze design an illuminated key fob for nighttime use? These few little items could be easily added for the next model year. Otherwise, I love the Milan and will soon be ordering my 2007 V6 Premier in black with 2-tone leather and sunroof! Thanks Ford. This is the best 4-door car you guys have ever built, and the only U.S.-built car I have considered buying in the last 20 years.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, North American built anyway (Mexico).

With ABS and side bags now standard for 2007, the Milan is a very nice package, even in base form. Personally I can live w/o the chrome trim. Now, folding mirrors--those I would like.
  • Options
    I am not a fan of chrome trim around the windows, either. Adding that would be a negative for me.

Not sure what the difficulty is with turning the key in the ignition switch on the column, either :confuse: .
  • Options
    Sounds like another FoMoCo marketing employee posting again...

How did you conclude that "overall build quality are tops"??

The car material and workmanship is as chintzy as they come. Open the trunk and see the cheap unfinished sheet metal and rivets, fyi.

"The V6 powerplant with 6-speed automatic is a perfect set-up for all but the most spirited driver....those may want to spend $40K for an Audi. At around $23K the Milan is just about unbeateable"

Are you writing ad spots for Ford?? Maybe you'll want to apply to Audi when Ford downsizes your position.

"Otherwise, I love the Milan and will soon be ordering my 2007 V6 Premier in black with 2-tone leather and sunroof! Thanks Ford. This is the best 4-door car you guys have ever built, and the only U.S.-built car I have considered buying in the last 20 years."

Take the Ford buyout package when offered, you'll need it along with an extended stay at Betty Ford for detoxing off of any illegal substances you may have consumed.
  • Options
    The car material and workmanship is as chintzy as they come. Open the trunk and see the cheap unfinished sheet metal and rivets, fyi.

Didn't you buy/lease one? :confuse:
  • Options
    And how can we be sure you are not a Toyota/Honda employee?

I don't own a Fusion or Milan, but gave it a good looking over on the dealer floor and don't recall seeing any unfinished sheet metal and rivets. Trunk appeared nicely finished, with easily accessable pull handles to flop the rear seats down from the trunk.

You seem to find faults that no other owners or prospective owners have found.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...let's drop the insinuations and speculations about who may be shilling for which manufacturer. That only leads to animosity and adds nothing to the discussion.

Thanks for your cooperation!
  • Options
    dlang came from a sable. the milan is not a replacement for a sable, the milan is a smaller, lower priced car. dlang should have gotten a montego.

The fully loaded Milan Premier V6 IS ***NOT CHEAPER*** PRICE THAN THE SABLE! A fully loaded 2003 Sable LS was $24380 MSRP then, a fully loaded 2006 Milan Premier V6 $26290 MSRP, these are from the stickers I have. The equivalent 2006 Montego is over $30,000 MSRP.

Spacewise, the Milan has negligibly more front legroom than Sable and feels "cheaper" and gets V-E-R-Y poor urban city mpg compared to the 1996, 1999 and 2003 Sables I've had.

Current gas guzzling Milan mpg 13.8 and holding even BELOW EPA estimate of 21 city with a 17-25 mpg range. Sable got 17 and above! I still see Taurus/Sables on the road, no Fusion/Milans in NYC, yet.
  • Options
    No comment to your first three paragraphs, as they are completely out of line.

I must point out once again that the defects you seem to find are not repeated by anyone I have seen post in any of the Fusion/Milan discussions going on. This statement obviously has no stastical validity, however with the advent of easily accessible forums such as this, any major glaring defects in Fusion/Milan would have been long ago exposed by more than just one owner (or lessee in your case). For example, see the "2007 Toyota Camry Woes" discussion.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    How would you know where the majority of forum readers reside? I've been driving a Fusion for almost a year and have experienced none of the problems you've had.

Sell it and get something you're happy with.
  • Options
    Readers? I'm talking about posters! Drive your Fusion in Atlanta daily, watch your urban mpg plunge, then comment.
  • Options
    I do drive in Atlanta daily - stop-n-go 11 mile commute which takes about 30 minutes. I'm averaging 18.5 mpg in my SEL V6.
    If there's no traffic I can get 22/23.
  • Options
    I've driven in Atlanta and while there is stop-n-go, there's really little, if any, long idling like NYC. Do you have EATC and use it constantly?
  • Options
    Since Mercury is now using only names beginning with M, the next Mercury should be called the Moron, pronounced like the Milan, emphasis on the ron.
  • Options
    Talked with my friend who runs the show at a Honda dealership. You can get out of your lease with your Milan you hate so badly. Get with the dealership manager and talk. Anything is negotiable in the car industry. Please, move on. You are an exception to the rule on the Fusion/Milan. On the net, I can easily say a vast majority of people that have purchased a Milan/Fusion are happy with thier purchase.
    Are you sure you don't work for Honda/Toyota? ;)
  • Options
    On the net, I can easily say a vast majority of people that have purchased a Milan/Fusion are happy with thier purchase.

Please provide URLs to show me where the happy vast majority is and what the size of majority is
  • Options
    Yes, I use EATC all the time.

If you expect ANY vehicle to get better than 13 mpg while sitting in traffic idling for hours then you have unrealistic expectations.

Go get that Honda and find something else to gripe about.
  • Options
    If you expect ANY vehicle to get better than 13 mpg while sitting in traffic idling for hours then you have unrealistic expectations.

I expected the newer technology successor to the Taurus/Sable to perform at the same NYC mpg, if not better than, they did. Unforunately, the 2006 Milan V6 :lemon: does not.

What is Ford paying their engineers for?
  • Options
    todd11todd11 Member Posts: 23
    1. hydraulic hood props.....cars of this price point and qaulity should have hydraulic hood props.

2. Adjustable sliding center counsel arm rest for the Fusion should be offered as standard equipment. I find it very difficult to get comfortable in the Fusion without this feature.

Perfect driving position and comfort is one of the most important things in purchasing an automobile, please go the extra mile and make it complete Ford, as the Fusion has the adjustable steering wheel, this change would really make the car comlete.

3. More power with the new duratech 35 as soon as possible. I would like to see 250 horspower.
  • Options
    brian6751brian6751 Member Posts: 8
    Well, since the 3.5 is coming to the Fusion/Milan, I just want an option for XM radio instead of Sirius and a leather wrapped steering wheel with any leather seat option, not just the SEL. Also, leather on the arm rest would be nice.

The chassis is perfect. Only mess with it for a performance version. Brakes are fantastic. Just how they should be.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Ford signed an exclusvie contract with Sirius. Accordingly you get a 6 month subscription with the factory option.

Mark.
  • Options
    slingshot80slingshot80 Member Posts: 55
    Why doesn't it have it??? :confuse:
  • Options
    I believe Ford was trying to keep initial costs down is one reason for not offering this feature. The Fusion/Milan are supposed to get stability control in 2008 I believe. May want to read about vehicles that do have this on them. Many complaints from drivers about how vehicles handle and feel with these systems on them. One person commented that it takes the fun out of driving.. Insurance companies love the systems.. Gee, wonder why??
    I hope Ford offers it in a way you can shut it off when you don't want to use stability control.
  • Options
    slingshot80slingshot80 Member Posts: 55
    Scape2, thanks for the info. My understanding is that the cost is almost nothing as they program the chips, about $200 at most. Will the 2008 Fusion model year start when the 3.5 engine is available like the 500 will?
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I want the Diesel! Bring the corporate 2.2L Duratorq diesel offered on the Modeo in Europe.

I have no use for the 250 HP 3.5L, but hey, offer both as options!

Prop Rods? I'm fine with prop rods. For those who want gas charged springs try Fusion
  • Options
    No, the 2008 Fusion won't go on sale early. It's not even guaranteed they'll put the 3.5L in the 2008 models.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Not all stability control systems are the same.
    I'm by no means a CR junkie but they recently started rating stability control systems. Check out the new Annual Auto book which just hit the stores.

I understand Ford has some of the highest rated systems.
    this means they probably cost a little more.

Mark.
  • Options
    I understand Ford has some of the highest rated systems.

That's because most of it was developed by Volvo. The RSC portion was solely developed by Volvo for the XC90 and is finally beginning to be copied elsewhere.

We have the AdvanceTrac with RSC in our '06 Explorer and have had it kick on in an emergency manuever around a deer on a highway. Impressive stuff I have to say. I still don't see the need for it in a car though. Especially those that handle as well as the Fusion. I had a Mazda6 S, w/out stability control, before my current Mustang and I couldn't break that thing loose for anything.