Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander Real World MPG

13»

Comments

• inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    Just took delivery on my new 2010 Commander Sport 3.7 V6. I was very impressed with the fuel mileage on the 130 mile drive home (all highway). It ended up getting 20 MPG. I thought that was pretty good for a vehicle with only 42 miles on it. Granted it's no powerhouse but we didn't buy it for that. Wanted the room and the got one of the last remaining few new 2010 Commanders left in inventory. The dealer was highly motivated to sell it.
  • jaguarjefftjaguarjefft Member Posts: 15
    I just bought a Prius...I consider this my free car since I was using my Commander as my communter over 1500 miles per month (at $600 per month in gas). I put the Commander in the garage and use it only when I trailer my toys and use the Prius for everything else. I have more leg room for my family in the back (although I can't travel with 7....but who can anyway with the short seats in the Commander). Monthly payment, insurance, maintenance, and gas for the Prius is around $500 per month total saving me at least $100.....free car!!!!!. The Commander is an awesome auto to use for trailering, but at the horrendous gas mileage, not worth it to use everyday unfortunately. Those of you who have a 6 cyl cannot compre their experience to the hemi...nor do they have the power to use for proper trailering.
  • allegroallegro Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have ways to improve gas mileage, eg. chips, new plugs, etc. Would like to hear if these products work at all. Considering a commander or similar. :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think Chrysler would be doing all those things to help their CAFE numbers, especially the cheap easy stuff, like programing the ECU or using different plugs.
    9000 mile update: The Commander's mileage has improved since we first bought it. We average between 17-18 MPG around town and between 21-23 MPG on the highway. Removing the roof rack bars improved fuel mileage by 1 mpg. So far, it's been flawless.
    You must have the V-6 and not the Hemi. I gave up. I put the Commander in the garage and use it only for pulling my toys. Since I travel about 1600 miles per month, I bought a Prius and with the savings in gas, I save over $150 per month above the cost of the car, the insurance and the gas....a free car!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, we have the 3.7 V-6. We also pull a toy trailer that weighs about 2500 lbs when loaded (quads, motorcycles) from time to time with no issues. When we were looking for our Commander I specifically wanted the V-6. We had a Hemi in our 2007 MegaCab and it was absolutely horrible on fuel.
  • djtee25djtee25 Member Posts: 2
    Just brought a Jeep Commander , had a Jeep Cherokee. the gas miles on the commader sucks. I cant get over 13 mpg. I drove from buffalo, to Indiana 475 miles and had to full up 3x. I spent over 100 in gas one way. I could go 375 in my Cherokee before having to fill up. If the class action has been filed please contact me , Im in
  • djtee25djtee25 Member Posts: 2
    Please let me know if you filed Im in the mpg sucks on this truck
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "You must have the V-6 and not the Hemi. I gave up. I put the Commander in the garage and use it only for pulling my toys. Since I travel about 1600 miles per month, I bought a Prius and with the savings in gas, I save over $150 per month above the cost of the car, the insurance and the gas....a free car!!!!!!!!!!! "

is that including the payment on the Prius?
    Yes includes the cost of the Prius....
  • phansternphanstern Member Posts: 2
    Are you doing anything special to get the 18.4 avg? My 5.7 gets 12.7mpg:( Does adjusting tire pressure help? Thoughts? Thanks.
    Yessssss.... get to the top of a really big hill, place it in neutral and go for it on the way down without putting the gas on...other than that, you have been screwed by Chrysler lying to you. The best you are going to get out of the 5.7 is to get on a flat or downward slope, slowly get to 58 miles per hour keeping under 2000 RPMs getting there then set the cruise control and maintain the 58 mph. You may get to 15 mpg's this way. Two to 4 valves shut down if you maintain the 58 mph's but if you waiver off of that by breaking, slowing , or speeding up, the valves willnot shut down and you will go back to the 13.5 to 14 mpgs (and that only if you keep under 62mph). So you see, if you finese the car instead of enjoy it you may get to 15 mpgs.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2011
    Actually coasting in neutral uses more gas than coasting in gear. In gear, the fuel gets shut off and the wheels turn the engine, keeping it running. Out of gear, fuel has to be delivered to the engine to keep it running. Go figure.

What Really Saves Gas? And How Much?

Save Gas with Smart Driving and Slick Aerodynamics
    Just a fuel mileage update. We have now have 24k on the Commander and the 3.7 is still delivering over 20 mpg on a regular basis. I'm going to change the plugs within the month and that should give us a little increase in mileage.
  • tish332tish332 Member Posts: 2
    hey everyone im new to this page, and im here kinda out of desperation, i just bought an 06 jeep commander limited with the hemi, and i have a problem. Im only getting 6.6 mpg or 35 L per 100kms , ive taken it in to the dealership, they ran a scanner and found nothing wrong, but the dealer agrees the fuel consumption is way way too high!, then to get another opinion i took it to another two dealers and ran another two obd2 scanners, again nothing wrong but they both agreed that the fuel consuption is way off, so heres my cry for help, 1. can anyone tell me what their 06 hemi fuel consumption is? 2. can anyone tell me if they have had the same issue with their commander/ hemi engine, 3. the only recommendation i was given from anyone was to get a tune up done, mainly spark plugs changed, but i cant see that affecting the fuel economy that badly, so does anyone have an idea what is going on??? no codes? no engine lights, nothing just really bad fuel economy???? PLEASE HELP
    You should expect to be raped at 11 to 13...lucky to get 13 to 15. Are you pulling anything (expect 7-10)? Something seriously wrong if you are under 10 consistently without a load. Do you have the standard manufacturer rated tires or did you upgrade to snow, mudders, or off-road tires. This will knock down 2 to 3 mpg immediately. Check the spark plugs and get a light tune up. May need to get a new set of wiring. Check the muffler if there is a leak (if the truck has any muffler sounds you may have a leak.... also check manifolds for leak... if there is any undo loud rumble, you may have a leak causing another 3 to 4 mpg's Also if it is running hot or bad oil the engine may be laboring. You may need to find a personal mechanic who will spend the time searching the internet until he can find the answer. I have one who doesn't back down until he solves the problem. I am upset I only get 13 to 14 so I stuck it in the garage and bought a Prius. With the money I saved from mpg's the Prius is free and I only use the Commander when I am pulling or needing the room. Excellent vehicle except the gas situation. Good luck
    JaquarJeffT
  • tish332tish332 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the help. I am going to try replacing all the spark plugs and do a little tune up on it, although the mechanic has said everything is fine. You're right I need to find a good mechanic and its hard to find one who will spend the time without charging a ton of money. Everything on it is bone stock. We really enjoy the vehicle and bought it knowing the hemi wasn't good on gas, but didnt think it would be this bad!
  • devinodevino Member Posts: 1
    you must have a drive line issue 4x4 or something related if everything else is fine.. just a place to look. have them make sure all driveline is functioning correctly
  • toddmntoddmn Member Posts: 13

I have had my Commander 4.7 V8 for 3 years now. I chose the 4.7 because it was NOT drive by wire and the engine has enough power to move this heavy vehicle without being over worked. Drive by wire wastes fuel. With direct control of the fuel I can finesse my acceleration to get the best mileage. Drive by wire has a brief lag between your foot and the response, so the tendency is to over do it on the acceleration with computerized accelerator "linkage". Couple that with 5.7 Hemi power and it is a wasteful combination for no gain. I get as high as 22 on the highway (optimum conditions, no AC, 55 degrees outside, no wind...) and about 13 in town. Considering I traded a 1982 FSJ Cherokee for the Commander, I'm getting about double the mileage of my old Cherokee!!! LOL