Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander Real World MPG

Comments

• neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    The point of the story (which I totally agree with) is that the gas tank in the Commander is way too small. On the hightway, I am able to get about 350 miles to the tank full, but even that is pushing it. I'm thinking Civic vs. the Hemi, no chance, but Civic vs. the 4.7 or the V6, my money is probably on the Civic. Let's face it, the Commander may not have enough fuel to finish the quarter mile!!
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    This is a pretty cool group. Guess you GOTTA have a good sense of humor right?

The econobox mpg threads are intense. I like that too. But hey they don't have their own class action suit!
  • niecy22niecy22 Member Posts: 7
    hello,

despite the big debate on the Commander being a "gas guzzler" I am looking to purchase one. from what I have heard about the Trailblazer which is the other we were looking at, it is not much better. anyhow I was wondering if anyone got better milage out of the v6 compared to the v8. Usually the obvious is that the v6 would be better but the sticker epa is pretty much the same.
    thanks!!!!
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    The 6 is over worked trying to move 5000 pounds. That is why the mileage is close to the same. Perhaps you should consider buying a slightly used one from an individual. I would not buy a 6 to move 5000 pounds. Just my .02.
    thanks so much. that is what i was thinking but needed to make sure that was correct. i appreciate your advice!
    I agree with blufz1 on this one. While you may get a slight (and I mean slight) fuel economy advantage with the V6, the lack of performance, in my opinion, greatly outweighs whatever savings you may get. If driven conservatively, the 4.7 V8 can get 18 (maybe 19 if you are really lucky) on the highway. I've noticed that the fuel economy really drops the faster you go (more so than with other vehicles I have driven). I think this is largely attributable to the shape of the vehicle and the increased wind resistance. My Commander has been a great vehicle, and I highly recommend it. Good luck with your purchase.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    I agree, AND the Honda Civic makes a great CASKET for it's occupants after the accident with ANY Jeep (if there is anything left of the Civic!) :sick:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Of course since the Civic handles much better and brakes better it will be far more likely to avoid an accident. I would much rather have my family in a Civic. Jeeps (and other similar vehicles) are far more likely to have accidents with gaurdrails and abutments, and lets not forget rollovers.

If you tow things, live down a mud track in the woods, or use it to run on trails, the Commander is a good vehicle to own, but for commuting?

The gas mileage is just plain never going to be very good, that needs to be accepted. However, keeping the tire pressure up, avoiding lots of short trips, keeping the speed down on the highway and driving very gently will help maximize mileage.
    Actually check it out. The safest cars (fewest fatalities per driver mile) are a bit bigger than Civic, but none of them are really big. Best are Camry and Accord type vehicles. I think it has to do with AVOIDING crashes. You're right in saying that when you're Commando slams in to my Civic I'll probably get hurt worse then you. But I am way less likely to be involved in a serious accident.

I'll also kills fewer people outside my car -pedestrians and other drivers/passengers. Take your philosophy to the max- don't care about others outside your car, gas mileage, air pollution or the risk of rollover - you should drive a tractor trailer.
    Obviously this rant can go on forever b/c we are comparing 2 kinds of vehicles that have barely anything in common. Therefore what is to compare? I presently have a very safe little car, rated high- VW Jetta but b/c I need a vehicle for DIFFERENT reasons, I will be buying a Commander in addition to. If you want to compare, you can do so my VW to a civic but not the civic to a commander. Let's put this conversation to rest. It's getting boring.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Better to buckle your seat belt whatever you drive and forget about it.
    I just got back from vacation. On the way, I filled up and reset the onboard computer to calculate my mileage. All highway, about 220 miles, 65-70 mph and the computer read a steady 21 mpg. I did not fill up once I got there, but was curious how optimistic the computer likely is. I seriously doubt I was getting 21 mpg, but must say that even if it is optimistic by 2 mpg, I wasn't unhappy with the mileage. Thoughts?
  • jaguarjefftjaguarjefft Member Posts: 15
    Great that you go such good milage....do you have the Hemi 5.7?
    Sorry, should have mentioned what engine...it is the 4.7 V8.
    That is definately respectable for such a large suv.
  • blkcommanderblkcommander Member Posts: 6
    I really believe it has a ot to do with the way you drive. I have a 4.7L 2006 Commander and drive up and down the mountains of Colorado. My home is at 9,000 ft. and most of my driving is at altitudes above 7500 ft. I normally get 18-19 MPG!! My salesman has the same car and he says he gets 14-15 but admits to having a "lead foot". If you accelerate slowly, getting that 5,000#'s in motion it's a lot more efficient. :):)
    I just saw a Commander up close. It really isn't that big. Compared to my CRV the wheels are bigger and I'm sure it's got a burlier 4WD, but the interior dimensions LOOK identical. On my last trip I got over 30 mpg. What exactly are you getting for all that extra consumption? (Hope this is less boring.)
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    The Commander is "trail tested". In other words you can travel the Rubicon Trail (hardcore 4 wheeling) with it.

Don't try to do that with a CRV!
    Maybe some people just like the Commander. Why is it a competition over which car is BEST? Doesn't it just come down to preference? Isn't that ok?
    I definitely won't take the CRV or any car off road. It's against my own personal beliefs. I've got AWD and extra ground clearance to get up one steep road (our driveway) and to handle poorly maintained dirt roads.

How often do the regulars here go off road?

I thought the fun of these forums was to disagree?

Ok I'll chill.

:)
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    My 70+ yr. old parents have a Hemi Commander 2wd. It NEVER gets over 12 MPG, even on the Hwy at a constant 70 mph. To add insult to injury, the tank only holds 16 gal., even on dead empty. So, range of 200 miles is about it before the light comes on. My 2002 Excursion 4wd with the V-10 get's 11.5 in town and over 13 at a steady 75, with the A/C blasting. Plus, a 44 gallon tank means over 500 miles of range. I'm not comparing the two, the Hemi is a blast to drive, but remember the Excursion was called the Ford "Valdez" when it came out. Seems the Jeep deserves a similar nickname! For some reason, Chrysler seems to gravitate to small gas tanks, our '01 Grand Caravan only held 18 gal., but at least got 18+ mpg. C'mon Chrysler, if you're gonna build a pig, at least build one with a big tummy!
  • rtatlrtatl Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 07 Hemi Commander last week. It has a 21 gallon gas tank and so far we have been averaging 17-18 mpg city driving according to the on board computer. We also have an 03 Toyota Tacoma v-6 4-door pickup truck. I just filled its 16 gallon tank up and am getting only 18.5 mpg city driving. A friend at work with a Toyota Sequoia just complained today that he was getting only 14-15 mpg in it. Why does Toyota brag so much about the gas mileage of their small cars yet keep quiet about their big vehicles?
  • morganoi41morganoi41 Member Posts: 4
    I read they were going to put the mercedes diesel in the cherokee, but not the commander. Too bad, as I am very tall, and I love boxy cars. My 99 mercedes diesel gets 30 mpg plus at almost any speed. Wish I could put that engine in a commander. Thank goodness I logged onto this site. I was inches away from buying a Commander. Now I think I will get an Element as my brother suggested.
  • txtoolman1txtoolman1 Member Posts: 3
    OK. I just got back from three weeks driving from San Antonio Tx. to Estes Park Colorado, Moab Utah, South Rim Grand Canyon,Roswell N. M. (hey I was curious) and in over 3300 miles I average 20.6 MPG. I drove at or near the speed limits, used the air conditioner and drove sanely.
    It town I get about 16.5. I have a 2wd with the 4.7L V8. It is quiet on the road, rides very well,and was rock steady rain or shine.
    My commander is a 2006, and it has only had one problem. The radio had to be replaced because only the right speakers had sound.
    I am a little worried about oil consumption. It drinks a quart about every 2800 miles. I use Mobil One, and it might be a little more prone to consumption, or so I am told.
    Overall, I like my Commander. It has a kick butt 6 cd player radio and great speakers. So far no water or other types of leaks. Reading this forum makes me a little worried, so I bought a factory warranty for 6 yrs. 85000 miles max care. I hope I don't use it. Mercedes diesels, well one of my employees had one that lasted over 250K with virtually no problems. I'd buy a commander with one.
  • profundoprofundo Member Posts: 1
    A new '07 commander owner here. 4x4 trail rated 4.7 liter. Less than 300 miles on the Jeep right now but already getting a respectable 16 ish in city driving and 21 on highway. los angeles area. I am conservative with acceleration but I don't drive like my grandmother either.
    I love the commander, great looks and a comfortable safe ride. :)
  • bjwbmrcoolbjwbmrcool Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 Commander with 5.7 Hemi and and my fuel average on the computer was at 8.9mpg, but on the other hand I have a 05 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 liter Turbo that gets 21.3mpg on the trip computer, but having to fill up the Subaru on premium fuel both vehicles cost around $50.00 each to fill up and last just around the same mileage on a tank of fuel.
    Both are a blast to drive, cost per mile? around the same
  • katmandu2katmandu2 Member Posts: 13
    What MPG are the 3.7L engine Commanders getting ?
  • gavilan1gavilan1 Member Posts: 1
    In Los Angeles/Orange County, my 2007 3.7L with full-time "4 wheel drive" gets 15.2MPG (highest ever seen was 15.7). No one bought a Commander for the great mileage, but how are hemi owners reporting 19 to 21MPG?
  • zavfejzavfej Member Posts: 13
    '06 Commie driver here - I love the way it looks, am a square vehicle fan (we drove a '96 Trooper, before that an 84 Trooper, after those, an '01 VW EuroVan, now the '06 Commander. We like to drive boxes I guess).
    Anyway, 4.7 V8 under the hood, foot made of lead, tow 2 ATV's back and forth from NJ to New Brunswick Canada regularly. The worst milage ever was just around 8 mpg for 1200 miles (R/T). Air conditioning was on full the whole time too. With no trailer and my wife driving in rural NJ, we average about 15 mpg. Around town I average around 11. There is some stop and go, but mostly go - ave speed limits in towns around 45 mph.
    It is what it is at this point. I happen to live near and purchased from one of the best Jeep dealers in the US (Franklin Sussex). I love the Commader's commanding seats up front. The middle row is fine for regular sized folks; the rear seat is a joke. And, worse than that, it robs valuable storage area. She has 36K miles on her now and I am beginning to think of replacing her - as gas goes up in price, the value of the truck (already low - around 15K trade on a good day) will drop - hit 50K miles and it'll drop like a stone.
    But what other cinder block shaped vehicles are out there for us?? Suggestions?
  • 75coug75coug Member Posts: 10
    Scion has a square vehicle for you, and it should get good gas mileage.
  • postermikepostermike Member Posts: 28
    I usually get around 10 MPG (I live in the city and drive 1.8 miles up the road to work) but when I have a chance to get on the expressway, I'm very impressed with the mileage. On a recent trip of about 70 miles on the expressway my average was 17.2. The EPA Highway is 17 so that's fine with me.

For the person who asked about the mileage difference between the 3.7 and 5.7. With the variable displacement engine in the HEMI, I find that over 1/2 the time on a level expressway I'm only running on 4 cylinders so that is probably why the mileage is so good. Also, around town I frequently see it go into "fuel saver" mode where, with the 3.7 it has to struggle to move the vehicle so you're going to use a similar amount of fuel.
  • majajhmajajh Member Posts: 4
    19-20 highway when heated up. 12.3 city.
  • roaejaroaeja Member Posts: 3
    I am very impressed with my Jeep. It's fully loaded
    and roomy, for a single guy. It has a 5.7L Hemi
    with variable displacement engine. On the straight
    away, I drive on 4 cyl in 'power saver' mode and get
    24 mpg @ 50 mph. I've found the sweet spot to be around 1500 rpm, if you aren't in a rush to get somewhere, it will increase your mpg by 5-10 mpg.
    I expect after more break in to average 26-28 mpg on regular gasoline. I am happy with my MDE. A few suggestions; when approaching a stop light, put in neutral and coast up to it. When taking off, when you reach 25mph, 'Resume' cruise control. And run on 1/2 fuel to increase milage. Use Quaker+Slick50.
    I am very impressed with my Jeep. It's fully loaded
    and roomy, for a single guy. It has a 5.7L Hemi
    with variable displacement engine. On the straight
    away, I drive on 4 cyl in 'power saver' mode and get
    24 mpg @ 50 mph. I've found the sweet spot to be around 1500 rpm, if you aren't in a rush to get somewhere, it will increase your mpg by 5-10 mpg.
    I expect after more break in to average 26-28 mpg on regular gasoline. I am happy with my MDE. A few suggestions; when approaching a stop light, put in neutral and coast up to it. When taking off, when you reach 25mph, 'Resume' cruise control. And run on 1/2 fuel to increase milage. Use Quaker+Slick50.
  • laylavlaylav Member Posts: 2
    :( I just stumbled upon this website...and tonight I bought a 2006 Commander 5.7 Hemi. I knew it wouldnt be great gas milage, but I thought it would be sticker. Im expecting in November, and went from my bugg to the commander...safety is numero uno.
    But $ is #2. Is there anything we can add to the gas to increase performance? A certain level or type of fuel? ANYTHING to make the situation just a bit better? Any thoughts would be much appriciated.
    Did I make a bad choice???
  • jaguarjefftjaguarjefft Member Posts: 15
    Unfortunately, you go snookered like the rest of us. You may get 1 to 2 miles per gal if you use 89 or 91 octane...weight that against the $1.80 or $3.60 extra per pump if you want to go above the 87. 87 works just fine. Expect 9 to 11 in the City and 11 to 13 on the road. You could get up to 15 if you are very very diligent in going slow...stay under 2000 rpms as you gradually increase the speed. Once you get between 58 and 62 mph use your cruise control to stablize the speed...making sure you are under 2000 rpms. If you can maintain that over 5 miles, then your displacement activation will kick in and put you at 4 cylanders, although when it works you are increasing the power of those cylanders to accomodate the lack of the other 4 so your gas is not going to decrease too much. Keep your tires at 36 psi. Don't have too much weight in the car, and don't use the roof rack. I have tried all of the gimmicks on the market and none of them work. The Hemi is way to powerful to be efficient on gas. And make sure you have a great inexpensive mechanic...At 45,000 I have already replace the transfer case, the rear axle, power steering column, front windshield twice (wind noise), rear differnetial, gear box...and I do not do any off roading....the vehicle is a Jeep and not made to well.
  • tomco260tomco260 Member Posts: 1
    I have the v6 and use the info center to see my mpg and here is what i am getting...

After getting on highway I hit reset on the mpg and at around 2k rpm 60 mph it will slowly level off between 20 and 22 mpg

Before getting out of my parking spot I hit reset and by the time I get to the highway it will read anywhere from 9 to 13 mpg depending how many red lights I hit

If I don't hit reset for a day the reading will stay around 16 mpg

I hit reset because this is long term avg mpg reading, maybe some aren't getting correct readings by not hitting reset?

Never expected good gas miles out of a cement box but city is about what sticker says and highway is above. As far as lawsuit I can't see how that would even be entered into court when sticker states your miles may vary.

In any case I love the jeep, just enough power (i don't tow) and smooth ride.

One other thing on whistel sound, check pass fender, there is a bag thing in there make sure it is stuffed in tight, also check gasket on windsheild molding mine was out alittle, after i fixed those two no more whistel.
  • gregbird08gregbird08 Member Posts: 1
    Mine is a v6 too, and I reset mine every time i fill up, and i use a calculator when i fill up to double check (but you have to remember to reset the trip meter so you know how far you went on a tank) and i usually get 17 or at least 16 and that is mostly city and a small 15 minute highway trip to work and back. I love my jeep, and its getting better gas mileage than an many midsize suvs like this, plus i really wanted a jeep and it is the only one i fit in because i have an extremely long torso.
    50 mph will get you +20 mpg.
  • Rich_SmithRich_Smith Member Posts: 1
    Octane level of gas is always a question for folks. MOST vehicles run just FINE on 87 octane cheapo goat-piss gasoline....until the injectors start dribbling instead of spraying and even then they still run FINE...but mileage sucks that way.

Midgrade and premium have detergents in them (if you're buying gas, not goat piss from an off-brand station). this keeps the TINY injector nozzle holes clear.

My wife's '97 5.9L truck got 9-10 mpg for its first 70,000 miles and ran FINE. At 70,000 miles we started putting premium and midgrade in it and it ran the same... BUT the mileage got up to 18 at 55 mpg, but who drives 55 for long distances? At 65 it still gets 15-16 using midgrade.

Sorry, gas QUALITY matters evenif the goat-piss runs FINE.
  • ZebraJaxZebraJax Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new Commander with 5.7 hemi and the QDII 4x4. EPA rating show 14 to 17. My average has been about 13mpg driving normally. First tank 87, second take 91, and no noticeable increase. My 05 Tahoe with 5.3 gets 16+ in the same conditions with the same driving. I feel I got deceived. I did expect to get at least what my old Tahoe is getting with this fuel saver technology.
  • 75coug75coug Member Posts: 10
    We have our Commander for two years now, and the mileage has never improved. It's a steady 13 mpg.

And just to make it a real kick in the head, it has depreciated at an even more monstrous rate than other vehicles, ensuring that we hold onto it for at least a couple more years. Given my druthers, I would trade it in on a Ford Flex Limited tomorrow. Much better mileage and a lot more usable room . . . .
  • hunbhunb Member Posts: 1
    The commander is now named "the tank" as it feels like a 2 ton iron sled and I love it, the wife has a lead foot and she has been getting around 11.5 mpg in our Limited Hemi XJ and has been learning to go easier around town. I can average around 14 to 14.5 using a lighter throttle on takeoff and I also do a manual downshift to avoid applying as much brake but not too often. Another thing is to downshift in anticipation of a stop. On the highway I can average about 18-20 as long as the speed is consistent, I can't wait to take this on a road trip over to Barnhill OVR and do some trail driving. Jeep rocks, leather entertainment package, kicking sound system.
  • graywolf_14graywolf_14 Member Posts: 1
    Ok my wife bought our commander sport v6 when I was in training for the army. Me personally I would of rather had the v8 but I wasnt their so yeah. But I have changed my mind as we will rarely tow anything with this vehicle. I really like it and even though it is low on power compared to most v6's it is still peppy. I have added a k&n air filter and it did make a difference. As for mpg we took a trip that was about 400 miles with 90% of it being highway but even with the city driving we did we averaged 19.9mpg. Now then we took a trip to disney and sea world we barely got 19 on the highway and that is with a k&n filter. Now this problem was solved with a new set of spark plugs(stock ones had green build up on them) My wife then drove from nc to ks and she said it got as high as 26 with an average of between 22-24. So my next mod is to replace the muffler with a higher flowing one. One to increase the sound and to maybe get better mpg. Oh and when I drive I am spirited which could account for her better mpg.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's great! I am a little surprised that you saw that much of an improvement with new spark plugs.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • smoothride5smoothride5 Member Posts: 1
    Check it out - if anyone should be worried about gas mileage it's me. I live in Chicago (THE highest gas prices in the country). I just bought my used '06 Commander with 22K mi, 4.7L V8. I was NOT looking to buy a Jeep nor would I have ever wanted one. I was contemplating buying a Ford Edge but the second I test drove the Commander that was for sale in the same lot there was no comparison. It was like going from a Yugo to a Mercedes. My first several trips on the Jeep (and I live IN THE CITY, bumper to bumper) averaged 16mpg+. I haven't been on the highway yet. The key is to start on the accelerator pedal SLOWLY and build up the speed. No jerky movements and no abuse. Obviously, try not to use too much AC/heat unless truly necessary. This is a far cry from my 1.8T Jetta stick shift and its mileage but the ride is truly magnificent. If anything, this Jeep will prevent me from driving like a nut. Best of luck to y'all and stop freaking out so dang much.
  • nightscopenightscope Member Posts: 2
    I am rolling in a 06 Commander Hemi 5.7 Gorgeous. 18.4 average. I can't argue. Goes like stink. Walks on water. Would not trade because of the gas no matter what. i am at 50 thousand mile mark. :D
  • clarkinsclarkins Member Posts: 2
    Loved my 06 Commander. I was just in a head on crash July 18, 2009 and pretty much walked away from it. On crutches, but nothing broken, but will get another one as soon as I can. My was the 3.7 V6, with Nav and rear DVD, etc, very comfortable and great to drive. I average about 14 mpg and if I drove much on the highway average would go up to about 17 maybe if I was light footed 18mpg. But if you are looking to buy a Commander you really should not be that concerned with MPG. If that was the case, we all would be driving a Prius.
  • ourjeeplifeourjeeplife Member Posts: 44
    figuratively speaking.. The Wrangler wasn't all that great on fuel consumption, Yet it got us where we needed to go. Sure I put need headers on the Wrangler.. and did a few other tweaks, but over all this past week since we bought the 07 Commander.. The fuel consumption was the same. I couldn't believe it.. My wife and where shocked..

So what is it we are doing and not complaining about like everyone else who complains ago fuel cost and fuel usage. We drive the same way, Keeping ones foot out of the four barrel (sort of speak) maintain the tire pressure, routinely change the oil.. maintain the fluids etc etc..

I guess one thing we don't have is the best news on why we are saving or spending the same money of fuel.. We don't have kids.. we don't have to drive their butts to soccer or basketball games.. etc etc.. Just seems if your going to do allot of running and you keep going back and forth instead of out and back in one trip.. there is where all your gas cost is going.

Hey Big Jeep For Two Little People.. Don't you love it..
  • digger12digger12 Member Posts: 5
    if theres somebody here that hates his jeep commander, I WILL GLADLY TAKE IT, as i am struggling and would love the joy and thrill of owning one,i wont drive a blue or a dark green, too hard to have to clean bird... off of and i prefer a grey one,silver is nice too and so isnt black.so, if theres somebody here that wants to complain about his jeep commander,remember,i can get to you and will gladly take "that problem off your hands' :)