Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS Squeaks and Rattles

2»

Comments

• dannyromodannyromo Member Posts: 3
    So I bought a 2006 IS 350 about two months ago, certified pre-owned and I'm more than happy with my choice. However after a month of owning the car I started hearing rattling noises from somewhere in the middle of the dashboard every time I take a corner and squeaks somewhere in the back (maybe seat belts or around that area). I took the car to a Lexus dealer and I told them about it however they said that they'd have to take the whole dashboard out and that's not included in the warraty and I would have to pay for it. Did anyone experience anything like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Please ask the dealer to check if the Technical Service Bulletin titled " SB0040-08 JUL 08 Interior - Instrument Panel Rattle " has been performed on the car or not. If not, they should be doing that under your certified pre-owned warranty.

Please be aware that it will involve removing the whole dash and replacing several clips which have been redesigned, as well as removing a few plastic tabs left over from production, but at least Lexus will cover the cost.

Good Luck!
  • gordongjgordongj Member Posts: 23
    I had the same rattle. They fixed it under a TSB. What it was, was the dash centre speaker. Supposedly all it required was more insuluation there, and it never has rattled since. Good luck
    Thank you so much. I am going to call the Lexus dealer tomorrow. The only thing is that I live in the Los Angeles area but I got my car from a Lexus dealer pretty far from LA. Do I need to call the dealer where I bought the car or just any Lexus dealer? The people from Lexus told me they have a nationwide program that has history maintenance on the car so they should all know I suppose? Tomorrow most definitely I'm going to ask. Thanks again!
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    As long as the car is certified pre-owned, it can be covered by any Lexus dealer within the parameters of that program.

And yes you are correct that the history of maintenance is available network wide.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    if you register your vehicle on lexus.com owner site you can look up all the items that are in the vehicle history
  • addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    09's have the same Instrument Panel Rattle?
  • 06is25006is250 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 06 IS250 a few months back and definetly experincing the rattling noise. The car isnt certified pre-owned so do I have any recourse in regards to the TSB? How should I go about getting this fixed?

Thanks in advance for the help!
  • tricky213tricky213 Member Posts: 2
    Take it to the dealer. Don't take no for an answer. They had my dash out 5 times before it was fixed.
    If you are deaf, the IS model is a wonderful car to drive (no disregard to deaf folks). Very peppy, comfortable and a nice car to drive. I have had my 2007 IS 250 AWD in for a major rattle in the dash. They fixed it (was centre speaker - put in more insulation) I have a small rattle in the driver's door - they can't find it. NOW, I have a rattle somewhere under the tachometer/ speedometer. Doesn't rattle all the time, but when it does, it sounds like the speedometer is going to fall to my feet. On the positive side - the rattle in the dash drowns out the small ratte in the door. I just can't believe that there is so litle quality in such a vehicle. Acura, BMW are my next choices.
    Hey I got a 2006 IS350 (certified pre-owned) and took it to the dealer a couple of months ago. They told me the warranty would cover this fix however they need to replicate it. The thing is that I live in southern California and since it's hot outside the rattle isn't as loud as when it is cold outside since plastic expands at heat. Now I'm just gonna wait till it gets a little colder and hopefully the rattle will be there. I asked my mechanic who is specialized in Lexus www.lexologyautocare.com if he knows what I'm talking about and he told me that he just fixed one rattle like that a couple of days before I took my car in for service and he charged $600 for it. (trust me when I tell you he's an honest guy and I really do trust him) If your car is out of warranty I'm guessing you're out of luck ...as for me I hope they'll replicate the noise because every time I took my car in for service they always tried to deny they hear anything ... Let me know how it goes
  • gary118gary118 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I do not normally write reviews but I feel like I need to in this case. I purchased a new Lexus IS 250 back in October 2009. I would like to state for the record that there are a number of cars that I was considering but decided to go with the Lexus because of the great reputation for quality.

After owning the car for a couple of weeks, I noticed a rattle in the back right hand side of the interior. At first, it was somewhat quiet and infrequent. But as time went on, the rattle became louder and more regular. Now every time I drive over a small bump, uneven pavement, or any other unsmooth surface, the rattle is very pronounced. I never did anything that would have caused this issue, and do not have the time to deal with this crap.

Anyway, the dealer said it is not going to be a simple fix and I would need to bring it back another day to have them “tear apart” the entire back interior of the car to find and fix the issue. Needless to say, it turns my stomach to imagine the interior of my new car will be completely disassembled. And I know when they tear apart the car that the leather seats and plastic panels will get cracked and never look new again. I am considering not having them fix it and just selling it outright as the car still looks new (less then 4,000 miles on it). I'm planning on getting a BMW 3 series which is what I should have done in the first place.

This leads me to ask how could this problem have occurred on a new $40,000 car in the first place? What happened to quality control? If Lexus wants to compete, they will need to address this type of quality control issue and live up to their promises.
    My IS 250 AWD started rattling after about 5000 miles. I have decided to live with it since the biggest rattle is in the dash and I believe if they take the entire dash apart to repair it, I may end up having more rattles after they put it back to gether. It is a wonderful driving car, however do not believe that i would ever buy another one.
  • tylerb2tylerb2 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same car and it had all the same problems. First there is a service bulletin out on the dash rattle. That was taken care of under warranty. I hear a rattle every once in awhile but for the most part it's gone. Right after that was fixed the car developed another rattle that I thought was under the far left side of the dash. The dealer replaced a part of the seat belt assembly and that went away. Again, it was taken care of under warranty. There are still little squeaks and rattles but for the most part the car is quiet. I couldn't live with the noise and had to do something about it.

Selling the car for a BMW is trading a headache for an upset stomach. I did just the reverse and sold my new 2003 325xi after the gas gauge wouldn't work and then the fix caused it to not start on demand. At least my Lexus has not let me down. Ironically after a couple of frustrating days with the IS rattles I wrote the corporate offices of Lexus and stated that as frustrating as the BMW was at least the maintenance was free. I'm still getting free oil changes... Good luck.
  • muathusanjosemuathusanjose Member Posts: 11
    I have rattling noise that come from the left driver seat air vent. The air vent kind a loose, when I push in and hold tight the noise goes away.
    Anyone know if they can fix this ?? and how much ??
This discussion has been closed.