Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• f888l888f888l888 Member Posts: 45
    Yister,

Dealers just got their first allotment of lx470. They can hold out for 60 days with no cost to them. After 60 days if they don't sell, then they feel the pain.

Given the current market, car market in general is in down spiral. Lx470 is in good situation now due to limited supply, but wait until late January when dealers are hit with tons of shipment and you may have an edge. If you want the car now, pay up. Otherwise, you can get a bargain.
  • yisteryister Member Posts: 5
    MD2002, no I didn't contact any of the nexus peps. on this site. Maybe I should have. It hurts thinking about paying for a vehicle 5K over invoice, especially since I could have gotten the THC for about 500 over invoices. If you haven't heard already, the THC has this little annoying bass problem in their radio. But, I really couldn't wait another 2 month. I do have to say, buying over the internet and having the vehicle delivered is really quite convenient.
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    Yup, I heard about the "Booming" Bass that the TLC owners are facing. I guess it might be cheaper to program the feature into the main computer as they did in the TLC, but it sures costs alot with QC errors and upset customers. I mean lets face it I wouldn't buy one and I really love the TLC, waiting to get a nice off lease one instead.

I would cruise thru the past posts and the previous chapter you will find the Lexus Reps in FL and other states. Even check w/ Brentwoodvolvo (don't let the name throw you) he is a Lexus rep in Florida. You can find him on the Real world trade in board under smart shopper.

Good Luck.
  • suvassuvas Member Posts: 2
    Happy Holidays to All! I just recently started using my heated seats. My expectation was that when I had them on, they would provide heat as long as they were on. However, I have noticed that the heat seems to come & go, as if it is being regulated somehow. Can anyone shed some light on this? How are they suppose to work? My dealer tells me that the heat is regulated, but i'd like to hear feedback from some owners. Thanks in advance!
  • cllx470cllx470 Member Posts: 1
    I have purchased a 2001 LX470 recently an dI am considering changing the tires to lower profile tires, since the dealers could not and would not give recommendation in this area, I am wodering if anyone has done this with their 470. I like to lower the ride by 2 inches. but that would mean 4 inched f it is in the low mode. would it affect the performance? do I have to do any thing to the suspension? an dlastly would lexus honor the warranty on the vehicle?? thanks
  • 123461123461 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced a noise coming from the engine compartment that sounds like a whistle? I've noticed it since the weather has gotten cold and it seems throttle related but the noise is not from the engine. After approx. 15-20 min. the noise is hardly audible or gone. The dealer says it may be the air pump but it is considered normal. I gave them my car after driving it for 20 min. so there was no noise. I may have to leave my car overnight so they can hear for themselves.
  • jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    I have a 2000 TLC that had a similar problem, but it has died down considerably in the 7 or 8 months I've had the vehicle. It is the leather from the two sections rubbing together. There was a post on one of the old TLC boards (now archived) that also mentioned this issue and had a link to an Acura dealership in California that said this was also an issue with some of the Acuras. The dealership's fix was to rub a layer of liquid soap between the 2 sections. I tried it and didn't notice any immediate difference. Frankly, I think time was the cure in my vehicle's case. I suppose leather conditioner (go to a store that sells equestrian supplies) might also work.
  • tmoralestmorales Member Posts: 11
    I too have the whistling noise since new on my '00 X. It seems to be related to either the heater or some kind of thermostat that warms up the engine. I didn't notice the noise as much if at all in the summer, but have been hearing it alot lately. It seems to come through the vents or from under the dash and is louver at higher speeds.
  • billmclainbillmclain Member Posts: 1
    I get several pounding noises, which come from the rear, when I lower my SUV. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • miken3miken3 Member Posts: 1
    Any word on when the LX470 will get side air bags like the Sequoia? On whether (and when) Lexus will sell its version of the Sequoia? I have two Lexus cars and need an SUV but wonder why Toyota has apparently let the LX470 fall behind in safety technology.
  • suvassuvas Member Posts: 2
    billmclain, I have heard a pounding/grinding noise when trying to lower the vehicle. However, my situation happened when my front tires were turned at an angle, instead of straight ahead, when I lowered it. And the noise sounded like it came from the front. It lowered successfully. I then raised it back up, straightened my tires, lowered it again, and it did not make the noise.
  • dodajdodaj Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up 2001 LX470 yesterday. Luv it. But noticed that doors do not lock automatically when place vehicle in drive, or certain speed. I thought for 01 this was a standard feature? Any info on this?
  • rewyllysrewyllys Member Posts: 24
    Dodaj,

Congratulations on your new LX470. I hope someone here can answer your question about the door-locking feature, or its absence.

For myself, I'm still in the position of merely thinking--but thinking quite seriously--about acquiring an LX470 in the next month or two. Hence I'd be very much interested in learning whether you were able to buy your 470 at a discount below the MSRP or not. Also, does your 470 have the navigation feature?

Ron Wyllys
  • swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    Ron Wyllys: Try Theresa Reefer at Lexus of Riverside
    3150 Adams Street Riverside, CA 92504
    Phone: (909) 353-0903 | Toll Free: (800) 899-5398
    Fax: (909) 353-0845
    lexusrvrsd@aol.com

I bought LX and RX from her at near invoice price. Swiftm
    Dear Swiftm,

Thanks for your suggestion. Ms. Reefer is now on my list of people to contact if I decide to buy an LX470.

Ron Wyllys
  • asweetingasweeting Member Posts: 3
    I am about to purchase a 2001 lx240. I have my own financing. How can I purchase this vehicle on line and have it delivered? I want to pay as cloas to Invoice as possible.
  • mghmgh Member Posts: 43
    rewyllys

Just bite the bullet and give your self a new years present. The LX 470 base Land cruiser is a fine vehicle it behaves like a train on rails on the highway and like a goat off road. GPM is (13.5 - 16) But so what... treat you and your family like they deserve. If you keep your vehicle for ten years it will cost you around $15.00 dollars a day after that time is a free ride. Take the best price on a 2000 or 2001 they ride the same. GPS? You can always buy the Alpine after you recover from the sticker shock.

PS

Thanks for your help in past Town Hall posts.

Sincerely,

MG
  • sweetv12sweetv12 Member Posts: 58
    We finally decided to buy an '01 LX470 with Nav AND the '01 LS430 w/ euro-tuned suspension (which btw, is THE mandatory option one should buy the LS430 with).

Therefore, our '00 LX470 is available. Has all options except phone. Black/Ivory with 7K miles. Taking all offers. Car is in the PacNW.
  • e33e33 Member Posts: 8
    I have seen all the suggestions to check FL and CA for the best prices.

My question is will I sacrifice the famous Lexus service from my local dealer if I buy elsewhere?

Should I still get loaners, etc.

Thanks
    Eric
    Eric: It doesn't matter where you get it. I have mine in Honolulu, S.Cal and ALabama, all dealers treated me well with a loaner. I had a RX shipped on a flat bed from CA to ALA with only 7 miles in it, not a scratch, cost about 1k for shipping. Tax and Title are costly and various from different state, do your home work. Use shipping cost as neg. tool and don't forget the rebate upfront. I hope this help, Swiftm
    I am pulling my hair out deciding to lease or buy a new LX through my business. One tax guy says buy, 2 others say lease. Anyone want to throw in their 2 cents?
    MSRP 63,100
    Can buy for 56,200 plus tax of about 4000.
    Cash purchase 60,200 through my Corp. Would probably keep it for about 4 years. Apparently there is a special depreciation schedule for luxury cars which would limit depreciation to 5,000 in yr 1, 2950 yr2, 1775 in yr 3 and 4. Total write off only 11,500 saving me about $4500 in taxes. At the end of 4 years sell the car for $35,000 (using lease residual value).
    Final numbers
    60,200 cost
    -4500 tax saving
    -35000 sales price.
    ---------
    20,700 Net cost for 4 years (ignores some interest)
    OR
    Lease with 0 down at $1000/month for 48 months. Not a great lease rate, I know. But all payments can be written off. Total tax saving about $16,000.

Final numbers
    48,000 total lease payments
    -16,000 tax savings
    -----------
    32,000 net cost for 4 years

Seems like a no brainer to buy right? Lease write off are higher but net cost is worse. Have I got something wrong here? Why are the tax guys saying lease?
  • asweetingasweeting Member Posts: 3
    I LOVE IT
    THE LADY LOVES IT
    THE KIDS LOVE IT
    I would say that the dog loves it but that mutt can ride on the FREE Roof rack and Polished rims for all I care.....
    Been Reading all your postings
    Thanks a bunch Guys and Gals

Al
  • grafcomgrafcom Member Posts: 3
    Was there an answer to the ride quality problems you outlined in #1? I have a 2000 LX470 with about 10,000 miles on it which has similar problems. They didn't become noticable until the tires were rotated the first time. They've been balanced by the dealer twice in the past 2 weeks, and although this second time has improved the ride, it's certainly not right yet. However, I will add that this last time included the need to "machine" the front brake rotors due to intense vibration during braking that showed up immediately after the rotation and first balancing. (by the dealer) This seems to have fixed the braking vibration, but still the ride is not what it should be. I guess I need to go to another dealer as I had to argue to get them to rebalance, when the problem was obvious by driving it. ..As a side note, I've been disappointed by the experience. Service was the primary reason I bought a Lexus after having the same type problem in getting responsive service from Lincoln Dealers. Maybe it's just central Alabama dealers.. any dealer recomendations in this area? ..north Florida?
  • dwrichadwricha Member Posts: 24
    Hello all, though I don't own an DX, I do own a 97 THC and just love it. Thought some of you maybe interested in some pictures of Toyota's products. (nexus included)
    I came across this web site by mistake and to my sunrise,you can look at the "car lineup",position your mouse over some of the text,look at the bottom of your screen,if you're using I to see which vehicle you're looking at. All of Toyota's vehicles and some that aren't available here are there. Have fun and enjoy!!!
    http://www.toyota.co.jp
    Grafcom: I sugg. calling Lexus customer service center 1-800-lexus for answer, good luck, Swiftm
    Hello all, though I don't own an DX, I do own a 97 TLC and just love it. Thought some of you maybe interested in some pictures of Toyota's products. (Lexus included)
    I came across this web site by mistake and to my suprise,you can look at the "car lineup",position your mouse over some of the text,look at the bottom of your screen,if you're using I to see which vehicle you're looking at. All of Toyota's vehicles and some that aren't available here are there. Have fun and enjoy!!!
    Hello all, though I don't own an LX, I do own a 97 TLC and just love it. Thought some of you maybe interested in some pictures of Toyota's products. (Lexus included)
    I came across this web site by mistake and to my suprise,you can look at the "car lineup",position your mouse over some of the text,look at the bottom of your screen,if you're using I to see which vehicle you're looking at. All of Toyota's vehicles and some that aren't available here are there. Have fun and enjoy!!!
  • dxrxfxdxrxfx Member Posts: 7
    I would appreciate any input / advice on where I could get a good deal on a used 470. Dealers? Private saless?
  • cul8tercul8ter Member Posts: 10
    The vibrations I described in my previous post have not been completely eliminated; however, they have been slightly reduced. After the fifth balance, I took my car to a tire dealer that recently purchased a vibration analysis tire balancer. This balancer presses a roll against the tire, under 700 pounds of pressure, to simulate tire to road contact. This tool indicated that there were no defects in the tire and that the tires were balanced within specification. After I left this tire dealer, I noticed an improvement. Both of the Lexus dealers I took the truck to seem to think that it is not a serious problem ie. dive shaft problem. Unfortunately, neither of them have offered a solution that has completely solved this problem. It is a little more bearable, but still unacceptable. I tend to think it may be a tire problem since there was an improvement when it was balanced the sixth time, but I don't know for sure.

As for the dealers...try another dealer if the one you are using is not helping you. Also, write a short letter to the dealer letting him/her know about your dissatisfaction and send a copy to Lexus Headquarters in CA. Be sure to let the dealer know that you have informed Lexus Corporate of your dissatisfaction. You will notice a substantial difference in the quality of the service you receive.
    Thanks for the follow-up info. I wonder..does such a machine test for, or divulge warped wheels? I had that problem on my previous Navigators. A fairly reliable service guy told me that all vehicles with aluminum alloy wheels are sensitive to warpage.. initally by truck drivers who clamp them down too tightly during transit. I'm fairly certain that my problem is with specific tire(s)/wheel(s) since it only really showed up after the first rotation. I've found a local tire store that also has recently put in one of those "force balancers". I'll be going there in the morning, so we'll see in my case. The owner of the store said he would have thought that the Lexus dealer would have one, as well. Interesting thought.. I'll let you know my results.
  • stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    Why are you selling your 2000 LX and buying a 2001? Are there any problems w/ it?Or just what I read on theses posts. Are you a dealer or just get a new car every year ( I noticed you got 430 too)- why not trade the 2000 in? Appreciat all your comments. Still deciding between LX and Seq. Thanks, Stacy
    Hi Stacy:

If you knew how quickly I cycled through my cars, you would understand immediately. :-)
    It drives my wife nuts!

I am not a dealer. I just simply like new toys. My 2000 is perfect. But, I want the DVD navigation system. Its new and I have a couple of things I want to add to it. I also want the Mark Levinson system. I am somewhat of an audiophile. That makes a difference to me. I am your lovable guy next door that buys both a pre-amp AND an amp. I buy Krell rather than JVC.

The Nakamichi system in my '00 is VERY nice but I want the Levinson. For me, its the classic dichotomy b/w 'want' and 'need.'

Why not trade? Simply because my purchase transaction is less complex and less expensive without a trade. I do suffer a little bit of first year depreciation but then again, I tend to buy cars that have a great and active aftermarket and enjoy flatter depreciation curves while having the depreciation 'loss' nicely offset by tax write offs. I might be somewhat well off but my daddy did not raise no fool.

best wishes,

e
  • scifiscifi Member Posts: 54
    In what area of the NW are you in? (don't be overly specific). I am interested in your 2000 LX470 and am a complete audiophile too. I would definitely rip out the Nakamichi system and personally install a high end system in it with multiple Navs & DVD. To me, the Levinson system isn't enough, but hey, I can't afford a new vehicle either! I'm traveling to the NW very soon and hoping we can negotiate!
  • mckinnismckinnis Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 LX470 with NAV/GPS/DVD. I want to be able to play movies on the factory DVD player on both the front LCD and on a future mid-row DVD while in motion. Many computer problems must be bridged in order to make this happen. Normally you have to be stopped and parking brake applied to view movies. The quality and sound coming from the factory unit are great. Anyone found away to defeat the system and allow movies while in motion. I can add a second DVD and a mid-row screen - but my wife does like sitting in the front seat and the sound would have to be introduced via a modulator to the existing sound system. I know Lexus is thinking about alternative ideas on the Navigation system - such as allowing the full menu to be used provided someone is sitting in the passenger seat. This would make my wife happy - she is our navigator when traveling and she often wishes for more functions while we are in motion. I didn't want to go aftermarket even though I could get more features including the ones I wanted. Headed to CES this weekend where I'll see just what I need - but I have always hated going aftermarket on a vehicle that cost so much. Thanks for the help - my email account is tom_mckinnis@hotmail.com
  • scifiscifi Member Posts: 54
    I have not figured out a bypass for the front LCD screen, but the rear screen can be bypassed.

Here is a post from the toyota board:
    As you are likely aware, the NAV available on the 2001+ TLC is also advertised to play video DVD's while stationary. I'd have to look at the shop manual wiring diagrams to get a feel for how easy it is to defeat - that is to view DVD's on the move. I suspect that it is probably difficult to bypass. However, one thing is for sure. You can't NAV and view a DVD simultaneously - something that is possible on the aftermarket Alpine system (with a seperate DVD player). Regarding adding aux displays, or additional aux inputs (for a Nintendo) this also may be really difficult with the factory head unit.

Regarding the Alpine unit, it will ALWAYS give a video signal to the "aux out" monitor. With this, any video source can be seen with an aux screen - even if the vehicle is in motion. The front screen simply displays the message, "Picture off for your safety."

To get a video source to the front screen (other than NAV which will always display), the Alpine needs to "see" a sequence of foot brake, parking brake on, momentarily off, then back on again while releasing the foot brake. (It's more natural to perform than it sounds.)

In my pictures of the back of the console, you'll notice an extra switch on the right side. I've rigged this switch to mimic the parking brake (just giving a ground signal) and it effectively bypasses the Alpine safeguards and lets the video play while you are driving.

The NAV unit is, unfortunaltely, a little smarter. The NAV unit will not let you access the menu (to set a new destination, for example) unless the vehicle is stopped with the parking brake on. Using the switch above, I can fool it on the parking brake, but it still "knows" the vehicle is moving because of the input it is getting from the satellites as well as the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). I haven't tried to work a bypass.... yet.

So...
    If the NAV and DVD are integrated, then you may be out of luck for the front screen. But it would seem that you can bypass the rear. I did contact janaschicago from the toyota board who states he has bypassed the front screen on a NAV system, but it is very complicated. (he is even more of an audiophile than me!).

Good luck!
    Scifi
    PacNW = Portland, OR and Redmond/Bellevue, WA.

...and regarding the bypass, I am informed that there IS a solution. A gentleman I know [who exclusively does VERY high end mobile system installations, viz. >$20K] is headed to Japan early next month to go 'study' the process. Go figure!

I will keep the list posted.
  • texasboytexasboy Member Posts: 1
    I have the 01 lx470 with the NAV system and portable phone. I have the following problems/issues:

1. SprintPCS is the only provider available for this system. Sprint is fine in major markets or major interstate, but be ready to pay out the nose if you go to the analog side.

2. The nav/phone system will not allow you to enter any additional digits on the screen after the number has been entered for voice mail, extensions, etc. This will not work if the vehicle is moving or not. This is a major problem. The phone allows you to save additional digits in the memory, however it will not transfer to the nav system screen. However, you can open the center consul and enter the digits on the phone. This is a very dangerous bypass.

3. The phone/screen is frozen when the vehicle is in motion. This is for safety , but it still needs to be something that can be bypassed by the driver.

This option is $ 2500.00. I have had phones in my autos for years, This system is the worst I have ever used. The phone (stand alone) is excellent, but add it to the Nav System and it becomes almost obsolete. Lexus indicates that additional software upgrades will be available annually for the Nav system but no one can tell me if any phone upgrades will be included. Lexus has dropped the ball on this option.

Any suggestions for a frustrated phone guy.
  • kemokemo Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any info. regarding a horsepower increase in the 4.7L V8? I assume Lexus will need to massage another 30hp at least with the release of the 2002 Range Rover.
  • tmoralestmorales Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone gotten their dealer to switch their engine oil to synthetic? My other cars came with it from the factory and their change intervals are about every 15K miles. This 3K mile interval is just ridiculous.
    Just checking if I am getting taken a little in my LX purchase.

I have been getting quotes such as "$1000 over invoice". However, what my research is showing as invoice cost is $768 (1.25% if MSRP?) lower than what these dealers are saying. They say this charge is part of the invoice cost of EACH car. Sounds like a "Lexus Customer Advertising Charge" to me.

Any ideas? Should I be paying for the dealers ad costs (at least directly)?
    Update to my previous post on the vibration problems.. I went to a Michelin tire dealer who just put in a brand new force balance machine made by Hunter. He let me watch as they checked each tire and wheel. All the wheels checked out perfectly. None were warped. However, the tires were a different story. Two were fine (the ones which came on the front) with a "run-out" reading of 8 and 10. One of the remaining rear tires was OK (within allowable tolerance according to the machine recommendations), but had a "run-out" reading higher in the scale of 16.(measured in "lbs".. 0 - 19 was within allowable levels, but 10 or below was stated by the technician as desired). However, the last tire had a reading of 21. Breaking the bead on the tire and spinning it around on the rim managed to lower it to 19, but that still was high. I had them check the spare since it is a full size complete rim. It measured 7. So, I had them put the worst tire as the spare.

This has made a tremendous difference. The vehicle now rides smoothly as it should. So, it appears that the problem is a Michelin tire quality issue only detectable by the poor ride quality and a force balance machine. Perhaps my situation is abnormal, but for anyone else experiencing the same problem, maybe this information can help you, too.
  • cyberdealercyberdealer Member Posts: 1
    I heard of a dealer in South Florida that had several LX-470's remaining in the 2000 model year.

One would think that this dealer is inclined to give MORE than generous deals on any remaining 2k model.

Now I am not absoltely positive of this but I heard of something like 200.00 (two hundred) over actual dealer cost!!!! (Cost as we have already established id 54,773.00)

If this post is of intrest to you; e-mail me and I can give you more information on this 8 time "Elite" of Lexus Dealership.

Thanks,

"Cyberdealer"
  • stingrayy1stingrayy1 Member Posts: 17
    I would imagine any left will go for LESS than 54,773.00. I purchased blk/ivory one from a Florida dealer back in September for 54,773.00 including delivery to Michigan. (wood/leather steering wheel & shift knob, roof rack, NAK. system, towing package, floor mats, & wheel locks)
    The following message was posted yesterday, January 5, on another Lexus-interest forum. Does anyone here know anything about this price increase?

"Lexus announced a 1% increase on the invoice of all vehicles the other day. This will effect the vehicles in transit or on order, not the vehicles already on the lot. If anyone is looking to purchase, now is a good time to do so. RX's went up around $300, LX470's over $700, etc."

Ron
  • thomastu628thomastu628 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a new LX470. The invoice price is 52,716. Anyone can help me find one at a reasonable price that is close to the invoice price?

Thank you in advance
  • wood190wood190 Member Posts: 4
    Which Lexus dealer in NJ will provide free loaners even when the Lexus was purchased else where. I know for a fact that Prestige and Ray Catena will not. I wonder if others would. Thanks.
  • khoi1khoi1 Member Posts: 1
    Dear Cyberdealer:
    Please send me info regarding the Florida dealership that still has some LX470's.
    Does anyone know 00 LX can be program to lower the truck when it in park position? TIA, swiftm
  • stingrayy1stingrayy1 Member Posts: 17
    Just go to Lexus's website and look up all dealers in FL! Email them to check!!!
  • png1png1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

We are looking at a 2001 LX470 fully loaded (dvd, mark levinson, etc. Dealer in NJ (Princeton area) is telling us $63,000. Does this seem like a good price. It's in our range and when we were looking last year, the dealer was getting MSRP, so we are happy to see that there is some room now.

My other question, is there a new LX470 on the horizon? I know Range Rover is bringing out a new more powerful engine in 2002, is Lexus planning to follow? If a new LX470 will be coming out for 2002, we will probably wait and get the new model. I heard something about a LX500. Anybody know???

Thanks.