Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Climate Control

Comments

• mquerrymquerry Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I own a 2006 2500 Mega Cab. I have a funny issue with the AC and haven't seen anything else quite like it. Of course the dealer says it's normal...

After having the truck sit all night and finally starting it for the first time, usually during the heat of the day....when I turn the AC on, a loud "air bubble" sounds like it is going through the compressor and the truck shakes really hard for a moment, then the AC runs, somewhat normal. It hasn't always done this, it just started a few weeks ago. After having it happen about 15 times or so, it finally managed to break the little door in the venting that controls the flow.

Had that fixed, but lo and behold, the freon was down a little over a pound...conspiracy theory? Haha.

Needless to say, the problem only happens once a day, and it is usually only after I turn it on for the first time. It was explained that all of the freon drains into the bottom of the compressor and then turns to liquid???? Since liquid cannot be compressed, the sound I hear is actually the compressor "forcing the liquid" through the system? HUH? Anyways, anyone else having problems like this? Mike.
  • 66polara166polara1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm having the same trouble with my AC in my 98 ram also. What door are you referring to in your compressor? What did you do to repair it? Is it an easy fix? Please let me know. I'm babying my truck now since it has 111,000 miles on it and the typical newer dodge life span has diminished since the good old cars!!! Thanks 66polara1 :confuse:
  • menortonmenorton Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 quad cab, cummins engine. The ac is not as cold on the drivers side, and passenger side is actually warm. I will cylce both sides to hot and then back to cold and sometimes there is improvement but that does not seam to work. If it is cooler out side like the am it seems to work fair but when it gets warm when you really need it it acts up. Also any one had problems with periodic hard starting?
  • opiemanopieman Member Posts: 1
    My blower fan (for my AC / vent) stopped working, except on the high setting. The compressor seemed to work fine and I still had cold air. Now the High setting stopped working as well. A friend told me to change the Blower Resistor, and the dealershipped agreed. I did this, but nothing was fixed. The blower fan still does not come on. Its strange but today, I had it set to high (though I knew it wouldnt work) and the resistor was NOT installed and the fan on HIGH setting came on while driving down the interstate, till I killed it. Any suggestions? Help please.
    Opie
  • arkieramarkieram Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Dodge 1500 360 4wd has 147,000 miles on it. I am having a surge in idle especially when engine is cold. Air conditioning will blow warm air after it has been operating correctly (cooling) for a while. I can turn the A/C off for a couple of minutes and it will start cooling again. There is a surge in rpm's at cruise speed about 200rpm. Could all of this be related?
  • murrillmurrill Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Ram1500 with the same problem. The following links will lead you to the solution and the parts needed to fix this problem:
    http://dodgeram.org/
    http://dodgeram.info/tsb/index.html
    http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1995-index.htm
    http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1996/24-01-96a.htm
    I bought my parts at O'Rielly Auto parts but any good parts store will have the needed parts on their "Accessories" aisle. Part#47149-vacuum check valve and part#47430-hose assortment.
    Good Luck
  • mrchmrch Member Posts: 2
    I plan on keeping in touch you because I have the 2500 MC and already same problem AC AC AC. Please keep me updated as to what I may need to do as well.
  • jhsmith6185jhsmith6185 Member Posts: 3
    Check you condensor fan. My 2002 started to do the same, then the engine light came. I checked the fuse and it was blown. Solved the problem after replacing the fuse.

Jim
  • leonnoelleonnoel Member Posts: 4
    I can not believe this...I checked my fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and it works. Thanks for the info. All summer it's been a pain in the butt and now I can fix it. Thanks Again!

Noel
  • jhsmith6185jhsmith6185 Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar problem with my 02. The problem was in the actual fan switch on the dash. I turned the fan on and the light came on as my AC was on but nothing was blowing. I had the unit replaced at the dealer and it works fine today. There was also a recall in March of 03 on the steering column which caused the blower to shut off. Take a look on www.automotive.com and look under recalls. It will explain what the problem is. Maybe it could help.

Jim
  • jcokeletjcokelet Member Posts: 1
    Have the Shim pack behind the compressor pulley checked. My compressor would not come on and that was the problem.
  • shotokanshotokan Member Posts: 1
    did you fix your truck if yes what was the problem
    i do have the same problem , truck is been at the dealer 4 time already the problem still there
    warm air coming from passenger side
    thank you
  • zara3zara3 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, my 2002 dodge ram 2500 diesel is doing the same thing with the interior heat. Its cold until you turn the dial on the dash about half way and then its on full heat, no fine adjustment. Did you ever find a solution to this problem?
    I would love to find a way to fix it myself...someone said it might be the thermostat in the heater core. Wish i could find a diagram, so far my searchs have come up with nothing, and hopefully one doesn't have to pull the dash to get at it. Can anyone help with a little more info on this?
    thanks~~:)
    opps... meant heater housing..not core in my last post...anyway, is it hard to get at? Is it buried in the dashboard? Can anyone here point me to where i can find good information on how to access it and fix it? Thanks again :)
  • cowboysdadcowboysdad Member Posts: 3
    sorry, but i have made no progress--still have the same problem
    doug
  • tsaltsal Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I don't know if you have fixed your problem or not yet, but if it's not the fuse, you may want to check and make sure your A/C condensor cooling fan is coming on. I have the same problem and after checking the voltage at the fan, (13.73v or so) the fan must be shot.

Just a thought!

Good luck!!!!
  • leonnoelleonnoel Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info - my problem was with the fuse. Once I got a new fuse installed everything was working fine!

Thanks Again!
  • linuxgizmolinuxgizmo Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, my question applies to the climate control cluster of the dash.

about a year ago i was driving home and the lights that come on to signal me that my AC is on or my outside defrosters are on flashed a few times then went out. at the same time the control knob that allows me to change where the air comes out stopped responding, along with the knob that controls heat. the blower switch still works, and the air blows out extremely hot, which is what the system was set to when it stopped responding. the air also blows out on the defrost/floor setting which is where it was when it stopped working.

i'm wondering if anybody else has come across this problem and if there's a fix. I checked the fuses in the box under the hood, couldnt find a box inside the truck to check. I really dont wanna pay a thousand dollars to have dodge tear apart my truck and fix this problem.

any help would be awesome.

also my infinity subs in the door went out about a year and a half ago. different forum i know, but i thought i'd include it in here too (got the nav version of radio head unit.)
  • teactteact Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Ram 1500,the AC and Heat work fine but they will not blow out the AC vents. What could be causing this? Thanks for any help.
  • trevorltrevorl Member Posts: 1
    HELP! My 2001 2500 cummins has the same problem with interior heat as had happend to Zara3. "Its cold until you turn the dial on the dash about half way and then its on full heat, no fine adjustment." I have either no heat or full heat.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks for any help.
    We have the 2002 model which has an electric motor on the blending door. The 2001 is suppose to have a cable..?..

But we have yet to find the problem. Though we did replace the control unit on the dash..that was easy.. And that was Not the problem.

We went to the dealer a couple of times, and one of the people over there said remove a fuse for a minute so whatever will reset itself?? Nope.. they were goofing on us! fun fun..

Asked at the dealer what it would take to fix it. They said $800+ because the blending door was stuck or broken, and the dash needs to be removed..Big JOb.. airbags, air-conditioning..etc.. sighhhhh... (What we don't understand is How can the blending door be stuck or broken if it does move from cold to full Hot position?)

I Wish someone who has actually fixed this problem would post a reply. It would be so helpful.. my boyfriend is about to tear the dash off. He thinks Dodge is aware of it being a problem and is trying to cover it up, cost too much to fix and is a huge liability. Then he heard some where on some other forum that the blending door was on back order... so they must be replacing a lot of them at owners expense. :cry:

Anyway any help would be Very helpful.. and if we find out anything we will also post it here. ~Thanks~
  • creekman1166creekman1166 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem--did you fix your problem and where did you get your information to fix it?
  • starr4ustarr4u Member Posts: 4
    My heating blower does not blow as hard as it should, sometimes it does after I shut it off or am driving awhile. Any ideas? I live in Minnesota and its kinda getting cold out! lol :cry:
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Check the switch and the resistor. Resistor is located under right side of dash near the blower motor.
    Regards
    Corkscrew
    Great, is there a way to see if the resistor is bad?
    Thanks Amy
    Yes, by checking continuity. An electrician or a good mechanic can do this. Keep me posted.
    Regards
    Corkscrew
    Thanks, I will check it out tomorrow morning after work! Let ya know! :)
    Here is a link to the TSB for replacing the blending door:
    http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2002/24-004-02.htm
    Regards
    Corkscrew
    Thanks I still need to have someone look at it could'nt get in this morning!
    I will keep ya posted. :)
    Thanks corkscrew;
    I will keep this info so when we do start digging into the dash..which sounds tricky, but from the looks of all the troubles that can happen its good to know how to get in there to fix things. It says 2.3 hours to get at the blending door..but that's for someone who's done it many times..I'm thinking a couple of days! Plus better make sure the blending doors are not on back order. And then there are those scary airbags to deal with!

Is there any info on a temperature or heat sensor that would operate the blending doors smoothly. The door works, you can hear it going..ennn..ennn. ennnn... but it just goes from cold to all the way hot about midway up the dial. Is this TSB for the kind of trouble we're having then?

A mechanic at a station said Dealerships can just plug in the "body control module" to their own special computer and reset it. According to the Dealership there was no such thing...8 hours to fix it..$$$$.!!

So...so far the fix is for us...turn on the heat till its roasty toasty inside then shut it off..then on..then off..and since I'm the co-pilot, that's my job. That driver guy to my left..short of pulling the dash apart wants to install a cable operated hotwater control value in the heater hose! Like the old trucks had... so meanwhile.. on/off/on ....off... They really don't build these things to last do they.
    Thanks again~~~~~~~ :lemon:
    To check for proper operation of the blending door set the control on defrost and the fan on high. If you feel heat coming out of the floor vents then you have a problem with the blending door. Listen closely as you may hear the blower motor seem to change speed as well.
    After disconecting the negative battery cable wait NO LESS THAN 2 minutes before proceding work. This will prevent air bag deployment ( capacitor discharge).
    Regaards
    Corkscrew
    I talked with the pilot and he said:
    "There are 2 doors in the heater box. The directional door is the one that directs it to the defroster, vent or floor and that's working fine. But the blending door is blending the hot and cold air depending on what the control calls for. In 2002 Dodge Ram this door is controlled electronically..with an electric motor actuator (that ennn... ennn... ennn sound) while the directional door is still vacuum actuated (phussss....). We found out about this because we bought a dash control unit (thinking it would fix it) and the 2001 is different from the 2002 (old body style)
    The blending door, the one that controls the hot and cold, moves from one extreme to the other and it won't stop in the proper mixing position. (I.e. warm)"

He suspects there is a resistor that senses heat from the engine and its in the electrical circuit.
    Just wish we could find more info on this..a more detailed diagram..short of buying the dealership service manual for this truck.
    and... I think the pilot has now decided to jury-rig it instead with the idea in the previous post. :cry:
  • sierraridersierrarider Member Posts: 1
    I bought the dodge assuming it had recirculationg air(evevn my old 79 tbird had it) I didnt even bother to look until I got behind a dump truck spewing out smoke and I reached for the air recirc button and it wasnt there! I went to the dealer and asked if theye could retrofit, they said no. I am stuck turn my heat or ac completely off when I want to keep smoke out. I am looking for advice on how to block outside air from coming in and still have system work properly???? Can it be done?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You should have a setting labeled "Max A/C" - that's recirculating air.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • rxpx40rxpx40 Member Posts: 10
    Folks, my wife just bought herself a Lexus for Christmas. My BMW owner friend was telling me about changing out the 'in-cab air filter' on these vehicles. The BMW has 2 return air filters and the Lexus RX330 has a single return air filter. These filters clean the return air when you set the AC on recycle (max). My question is: Do the Dodge Ram 2500 pickup trucks (2006 models) have a recycle (in-cab) air filter. I looked in my owners manual- no mention.

Thanks
    Chris
  • jfrozenh2ojfrozenh2o Member Posts: 18
    You asked a question that i myself have. i just bought this 02 dodge and its a sweet truck, but the owner before me smoked like a chimney. since i dont smoke ive spent the last week detailing the interior and basically peling the layers of tar off the inside and also pulling out the vents and cleaning the tar and what i can see. so i think the inside is as good as it will ever get, I also am using a box of baking soda to soak it up. But unfortunately when i run the air. heat or cold, i can still smell smoke, and am also wondering if there is a in cab recyycle filter. and where it is located. If not does anyone know how to clean/flush the climate control system of smoke. thanks- Jes
  • dzlsmokedzlsmoke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Ram 2500, when I turn the fan motor on; whether it be heat or air, the lowest three speeds do not work... the high works perfectly normal.. any ideas?
  • culbee21culbee21 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Ram w/ a 4.7 that is quickly approaching 100,000 miles. I have been having some problems with my cooling system and I think that it may also have something to do with my heater not working properly. In the past few months I have;
    1) developed a crack in the plastic tanks on my radiator, 2) blown a hole in my lower radiator hose (in which I went ahead and replaced the thermostat), 3) blown a hole in my upper radiator hose. Then my heater would only blow hot air for a couple of seconds and go cold. I drained my cooling system and took the hoses off that run to the heater core. I ran a water through from a water hose it thinking that it may be clogged. Well after I done that it worked really good for about 3 days and now it will only blow hot air from the right side of the truck. Has anyone had similar issues or know how to fix this?
  • ktzmossktzmoss Member Posts: 2
    i am having the same type problem. i only get heat out of the passenger side. the driver side is cold. i can feel the pressure change when i turn it up but no heat.
  • jilltjillt Member Posts: 2
    You have to tap under the dash on the passenger side to get the blower to work. Anyone else with this problem? Had it fixed once, it stopped again. It also blows warm air on the passenger side and cold on the driver side when the AC Is on.
  • snowman06snowman06 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please tell me how to take apart my top dash pad to change my heater core.
    Thanks Louie
  • 907buckeye907buckeye Member Posts: 2
    I've got no heat basically on my v10 2500. There is a lukewarm airflow (engine heat, I assume) but it definately doesn't get hot. Wondering if there's anything I can check before I assume it's the heater core like a fuse or anything. Also, my digital overhead console is a little buggy. The temp guage works, and on the pass/fail test it says pass, but the compass says cal and I cant seem to calibrate it, drove in lefthanded and righthanded circles. The digital odometer on the overhead console doesn't tick any miles either...very weird.
  • 907buckeye907buckeye Member Posts: 2
    anyone?
  • chris1500ramchris1500ram Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 ram 1500 v8 magnum slt laramie, and i dont have heat either. I dont know much about it as far as electrical troubleshooting related to the heater core, but my haynes manual would possibly help me.. Mine makes a whirring noise as well, every 3-5 seconds ; when i have the fans on. Does yours?
  • kbrackenkbracken Member Posts: 1
    I have 2002 1500 quad 2wd.I've replaced the heat duct door that seperates the defrost from floor setting every year since new starting with the 1st month of ownership.The door not operating properly would allow the truck to decide which setting was best and side winds were capable of changing the possition.It made driving @-30c difficult.Also in the first year we had it the heater motor quit@-28 and we were 5hours away from home.That turned out to be a burnt power lead to the fan motor and there was a recall a few months later.
    This last 2 months have been a real challange,after changing the duct door again we found that the passenger side was warm and the driver side was not.The dealer worked really well with us and found that the heater core was plugged with grit.(no idea where the grit came from),we changed the core and it plugged again within a few days,then we changed the rad and re flushed(it was flushed when the core was changed as well).I'm told that the grit is the dried residue from antifreeze jelling????I have the truck back on the road but not long enough to know if it is fixed.I enjoy driving this truck,it's the only vehicle I've ever owned that never has a squeaky or rattling dash(it was reassembled every fall)The truck has 200,000km on and has never had a mechanical issue only heat issues.
  • qcdodge1500qcdodge1500 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Ram 1500. 112K miles. AC blew cold air fine all summer. Live in Arizona. In the late December early January, when overnight temps got low in the mid 20"s we started using the heater. All was fine. Now that it is warming up some, and we are now using the AC again, the air blow cold but now when we make a stop at a stop sign or light, the AC blows hot air. We have to turn the AC knob to off and then back to either Max AC or AC to get it to blow cold again. Then it does it the next time we stop. This is getting ridiculous. Any ideas as to why. It does it also if we are using the vent, and the temp control is on cold (blue area of temp control). So it doesn't matter if we use the vent or AC, it is ok until we stop. Then we have to basically reset it. It blow out of the dash vents like it should and not the defrost or foot level so I know the selection of vent, defrost, vent / floor work okay, it just goes from cold air to hot air until we reset it and it is coming out of the correct selected vent we want. Thanks for any help we can get.
  • ktzmossktzmoss Member Posts: 2
    you dont need to spend all that money on dealer repairs. i have had the same problem with hot good on passenger side but not on driver side. you can fix this in about 10 minutes. just disconnect the two hoses that go to the heater coil. hook a garden hose up to one end and turn on the water for about 5-10 minutes. that will flush out the heater coil. thats all there is to it. you may have to do it each year when you start to use your heater. but its better then all the dealer costs while they replace everything.
  • billyb7billyb7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 RAM 2500. I have the same problem with my heat/ac air being stuck in the dash mode. I have had this problem for over 2 years. The dealer wants $800. to repair, I guess its some kind of vacuum door that get stuck. My brother had it happen to him while it was still under warranty, it took the dealer 4 days to fix, they had to tear the entire dash off. They shoud recall this as a Saftey issue. During the Minnesota winters it really sucks with no defrost.
    There are two tsbs that I know of that you and billyb7 may be interested in:
    1 http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/24-004-03.htm
    2 http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2002/24-004-02.htm

Regards
    Corkscrew
  • jpurdy1jpurdy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 2005 Ram. Did you ever find out what the problem was. Fan works all three speeds but no air flow. A/C and defrost lights do not come on when buttons pushed. Controll mode switch does not have any effect.
    Anyone else with this problem?