Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• Options
    coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    I hope they don't get a version of the sequoia, because at least the rumors I have herd say that it will replace the current LX design. That would be terrible because the sequoia, although good in it's segment, is a real TRUCK and I personally wouldn't spend 60k on that, or any truck.
  • Options
    trails71trails71 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if rear parking sensors, Lexus link, or a new engine will be added for 2002?
  • Options
    asweetingasweeting Member Posts: 3
    My Left rear most sub-woofer keeps blowing. I don't play it loud at all. I am on my 4th speaker. Has anyone experienced this. If not you may have to turn it on, fade the music to the rear and listen to it. In all the the=times it has happened the speaker just stops working.
  • Options
    symessymes Member Posts: 10
    I changed from a Jeep GC V8 Ltd to an LX470 back in 1999.

I adore the LX. Sometimes I get an RX when the LX goes in for service, it drives nicely around town, quieter and smoother than the old Jeep. Not as quick. For long Journeys with people and luggage (and for us, a dog) the LX wins everytime. Also, after the Jeep, you may find the quality of build and dealer service a refreshing change. Just open the LX and look at the window and door seals.

For fast trips through the mountains, I sometimes think I'd rather have the old Jeep back as it handled better than the LX for tight fast corners, ever with the LX suspension set on hard. However, I'd rather put up with that for the rest of the experience.

Only regret is not having the 2001 with the Mark Levinson stereo - I could care less about Navigation, I just pop a Garmin GPS III+ on the dash in strange towns - less than $500!

Despite all the Gizmos on the LX (and although I would like the Mark Levinson and the auto remote windows down from the RX/GS), what wins you over is the overall driving experience. After a week of ownership, you quit pushing buttons to make the car go up and down and just enjoy the amazing driving experience, the silent, smooth, beautifully built machine.

I sometimes glance at the Range Rovers with all the bars and wonder (I really always wanted a Landcruiser, and now I have the LX I love it but think it isn't quite as "meaty" looking as the old LC), but I am British and you wouldn't catch me buying one, I remember the old long term quality reports!

As for the E Wagon - nice car - and being European (well British), I think that some Wagons can be attractive. Never driven the wagon, but the saloons are nice (my Lexus dealer lent me a used E320 because my LX was delayed and referred to is as "a piece of pig iron"). Personally I found the controls and buttons to be a little counter intuitive, maybe that's just me.

I have to admit that if I didn't really go off road (and I do) what I would like is one of those Audi A6 Avant Quattros with the 4.2 V8 that you see all over Continental Europe, but which you can't seem to get here as Americans seem to associate wagons with carrying wood, paint or shopping. Enjoy either way, they're all great vehicles.
  • Options
    Even though I love my LX470 I would be up for an LX500. I didn't warrant changing my 99 to a 2001 just to get the Mark Levinson, wonderful though I am sure it is. However, for upper 200s, low 300s HP (cf. the new "ugly as sin" Escalade at 345hp) I would consider a change. Not for most days as the car is fast enough, but sometimes, on backroads, I get caught in 3rd gear at low revs and it takes a while before it pulls out and shifts down. I could press the PWR button, but it's over a foot from the steering wheel!!

I doubt that we will see a Lexus Sequoia (sp?). I heard from my Lexus dealer that there was a move afoot within Toyota to let Lexus keep the LX and discontinue the Land Cruiser. This avoids confusion although I am sure that some 'Cruiserheads' would be grossly upset and of course would never be seen dead in a Lexus. (actually they seem not to like the new Land Cruiser anyhow since the front locking diff was removed to make it more highway compliant).

Maybe the whole Sequoia thing is to appeal to the standard Toyota buyer. I looked at one and didn't really understand it. A little bigger, much more truck like, but yet very little extra space behind the rear seats compared with the reference Suburban. I had expected something more like the Ford Excursion (trolley bus that it is IMHO), so this makes me think that the Sequoia will eventually replace the Land Cruiser from the Toyota side, leaving the LX as the luxury offering.

LX500 eh? Now that might be something... Now, just widen the track a little to close the handling gap with the X5 4.4i and we have the creme de la creme.
  • Options
    netmiaminetmiami Member Posts: 13
    Hi Bill,

Are you still there??? At JM Lexus???

I am in the market for another new LX 470

netmiami (Bill, you know me. I got my 2000 LX 470 last year from you in June/July).
  • Options
    dukejondukejon Member Posts: 1
    I am aware of the possibility of larger engine - any other changes planned for 2002?
  • Options
    Hi, just completed my almost $600 (ouch) 30k service and now I have a thump on my rear left quarter when I go over reasonable bumps e.g. driveway entrance, potholes etc. It wasn't there before and it sounds as though something is loose, as if there were some moderately heavy item loose in the trunk. I have tried emptying the car of all loose items and only have the jack still to try - anyone had anything similar?

Too damn quiet this car...
  • Options
    khuynhkhuynh Member Posts: 28
    I recently had a similar sounding thump/clunk in the center console when I go over potholes, or speed bumps. I took the Lexus back to the dealership 3 times before they found that the center console was missing a rubber stopper under the lid. I don't know if this will help u or not... But try to look at all the storage covers with rubber inserts. It also helps to get someone sit back there to listen for extraneous noise...
  • Options
    bugaroobugaroo Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone shed some light on possible changes for the 2002 model. My wife loves the LX470, but we are surprised that it does not have side/head airbags...let alone no steering wheel controls, LexusAid, etc. I/we cannot seem to get any information from the dealerships.....nor can we find anything by searching on-line. Can anyone help?

Thanks
  • Options
    Personally, when you are that far up and in that strong a box, I don't imagine that side airbags are really that necessary, though each to their own.

As for steering wheel controls, personally I prefer the cruise on the little lever which is right by the finger tips and if you close your eyes and reach out your arm (do not practice while driving!!) you will find the radio and climate controls in an instant. Plus, with Auto climate control and auto intake shutoff, I end up only changing the AC settings one degree or two every few days, which hardly justifies crowding the wheel with widgets.

I think that the only other thing that you sometimes get on a wheel control is a pseudo manual gearshift arrangement. Having tried this on an IS300, I found it fussy to use. When you are driving fast and want to make a gear change, you are inevitably in the process of turning the wheel and I had the most fun steering with one hand and chasing the buttons around with the other - what a mess. This is one area where I wish that Lexus would put the pseudo manual shift into the main auto shift - like the tiptronics etc.

Not sure what LexusAid is...But if you call the 1-800- number from your cellphone, they'll come and help you out if the car runs into trouble - not sure what else you need.

Whilst we are on wheels, I do wish that they would go back to having that nasty wooden wheel as an option and keep the leather one as standard.

What are you driving now and what are you comparing against?
  • Options
    Thanks - tonight the jack comes out, all the husky liners and coils of rope and and a tire pressure gauge. I still have this nagging feeling that it is in the vicinity of the main coil spring though...

Then, the joy of 4 new tires... not bad though - 31k on the first set.
  • Options
    md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    I believe this was OnStar for Lexus. I believe I read an article that all Lexus models were supposed to offer this, BUT I couldn't find any link on the Lexus website.

Anyone have any ideas about residual on LX470 after the 3year lease?

Thanks.
  • Options
    bmw5454bmw5454 Member Posts: 3
    Hi-
    Started up my 2000 LX today and within 10 seconds, a high pitched, constant sound is emitting from the driver's side dash area. Not your normal reminder tones, but a constant headache producer! Anyone out there lucky enough to get this problem??

I checked everything and anything in the LX. No warning lights on and drives just fine. I am stumped!

Can't wait to give it to the dealer for emergency surgery!

Thanks for any help
  • Options
    bmw5454bmw5454 Member Posts: 3
    Hi-
    Started up my 2000 LX today and within 10 seconds, a high pitched, constant sound is emitting from the driver's side dash area. Not your normal reminder tones, but a constant headache producer! Anyone out there lucky enough to get this problem??

I checked everything and anything in the LX. No warning lights on and drives just fine. I am stumped!

Can't wait to give it to the dealer for emergency surgery!

Thanks for any help
  • Options
    swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    Bugaroo: Try this site and visit Lexus of Japan. http://lexus.start4all.com

Swiftm
  • Options
    Well, I get the Lexus owners' inside mag that talks about up and coming things and I have never heard about that one.

I have no idea about a residual - I know that the lease that I was offered (but didn't take, I bought mine for cash in the end) and was looking at was about c$800/month for 39 months. I figured out that, as I wanted to keep the car at least 5-10 years (before I heard about the Mark Levinson on the 2000+ of course!!), the lease wasn't cost effective for me. At about 48 months it seemed to be a lot cheaper to just buy the car.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    dkny10022dkny10022 Member Posts: 1
    How can you actually like the Lexus!
    That ugly piece of CRAP! Slow, UGLY, And especially that even UGLIER Sequoia? Yuck, anyways, lexus will never make a car that handles like BMW, so please dont ever compare that ugly LX to the X5.
    And if you want a nice SUV go with X5, Range Rover, or the Escaladeand how can you call the escalade ugly its very beautiful, I think you are just used to the ugly, bland, Lexus/Toyota style. Well, I hoped I talked some sense into you. And if you want a more powerful SUV, you should buy the X5 4.6 that is comming out this fall! And I advise you to go test drive the Escalase VERY FAST!
  • Options
    Well, it just proves that Lexus does target its marketing at a particular demographic segment, which, I would imagine, does not include yourself.

If you want a fast SUV with not much more room inside than a 5 series and you don't intend to go off road, I would have to agree that, dealership service excluded, the X5 is the choice.

However, in the large SUV segment of the market, the LX470 has stayed at the top consistently, because it has the appearance, the build quality, the off and on road performance the reliability reputation and the dealer backup. Take any of the vehicles on your list and I would venture to suggest that each of them fails pretty badly in at least one of those categories.

My second choice for appearance and driveability would be the RangeRover, nicer to look at I think also, but I can't get over the appalling reputation that Rover's V8s used to have back in the UK.

As for the Escalade - sorry, I have to disagree. The previous model was fairly bland and "harmless" - just a nicely outfitted Tahoe, but, to me, the new Escalade looks as if it has already hit a wall and had it's nose pushed in - rather the appearance of a mobile home with lights on one end and a large HVAC return in the front. I will give you that it is fast though, but that isn't my primary decision point for a large SUV.

As for Lexus making a car that handles like a BMW? Drive an IS300 or an SC430 and find me a BMW in the same class for anything like the money. The X5 handles well, because it isn't really a large SUV, just appears to be a 5 series wagon jacked up a little and remodeled.
  • Options
    I agree with symes that Lexus targets its market effectively, and usually includes those with a decent grasp of grammar (sorry, dkny 10022...)

I test drove the '02 Escalade prior to buying the LX 470. The quality of the two vehicles is not comparable, from the hard plastic adorning the dash of the Escalade, the cheesy fake wood on the center console and dash, the feel of the overhead fabric, to the clunking sound from the 2nd row seats... Also, the test Escalade had only 70+ miles, yet the passenger-side head lamp cover has a large crack (the cover is supposed to be "space-age" plastics). Sure, the Escalade is fast and powerful, but without low-range, presence of low hanging P brake cables, it is not an off-road vehicle in my mind.

I admit that the LX470 is a bit overpriced, but the quality, high resale value (as reflected in the lease terms) more than compensate this. Again, this is only my opinion.

The other "SUVs", such as the X5 and ML430 are nothing more than high-riding mini vans (or sport sedans) even though the ML is a frame-based vehicle and has low-range. The ML is a terrible off-roader, as I have first hand experience with recently in Austin, TX.

If one values speed and power (as dkny 10022), a sport sedan such as BMW 5-series makes much more sense.

The Range Rover has had a terrible reliability issue. Perhaps the upcoming redesigned model will be much better. Perhaps...
  • Options
    kcarmichaelkcarmichael Member Posts: 1
    Call me crazy bit I hate them..always dirty my pants leg on them...anyone remove theirs?
  • Options
    4u24u2 Member Posts: 17
    The Lexus LX470 is a truly outstanding SUV. The luxurious appointments of this SUV are done in the usually tasteful Lexus fare. However, the LX470 is not offered with side airbags or side curtains. The lack of these safety features is unacceptable on the LX470 considering its cost.

I've read countless reviews that conclude that the 2002 Cadillac Escalade is a worthy competitor to the LX470. Moreover, it has side-impact airbags. I have yet to visit a Cadillac dealer to see the 2002 Escalade.

Aside from khuynh, has anyone test driven both SUVs? Also, does anyone know if Lexus plans to offer any new safety features on the LX470?

I think that the LX470 is great, but I prize safety over luxury.

Any insight on this matter is appreciated.
  • Options
    If one prizes safety over luxury, I'm not so sure that the Escalade is better than the LX 470.

True, the Escalade has side airbags, but these SUVs are taller than most sedans, thus making the side airbags not as crucial as in other cars (but not completely useless, for sure).

However, the Escalade does not have many safety features found standard in the LX 470 (or a 4Runner for that matter), such as Brake Assist, Electronic Brake Distribution, 4 channel ABS (Escalade has 3 channel, I think), and Active Trac.

The Escalade is still a good SUV, but I just don't think that it is in same class as the LX...
  • Options
    robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    What is Active Trac? Is that traction control or a stability control system? Cadillac's StabiliTrak is standard on the Escalade 4WD model. StabiliTrak is considered to be one of the best stability control technologies in the business. Traction control is also standard. Where's the LX advantage here?

Also, your theory about side impact airbags being not as crucial in an SUV as in other cars since "SUVs are taller than most sedans" doesn't hold water if you get T-boned by another SUV. There are enough "other SUVs" on the road today where that is a high enough probability.

How about electronic rear parking assist? Escalade has it. Seems like a must in a big vehicle like this.

Regarding 4 vs. 3 channel ABS, I do not know what the difference is, but I do know that the Escalade ABS provides independent control of the front wheels. Is there a real world advantage between 4 channel vs. 3 channel ABS. Please educate me on that (seriously).

The LX470 is without a doubt a very well built and quality vehicle. I make absolutely no argument there. I am not in the market for a large SUV of this nature, but if I were I would have tremendous difficulty justifying the $10K additional cost for an LX470 over an Escalade given that the Escalade has 345HP to LX470's 230HP, and frankly because the Escalade has a brand new look and the LX470's look is many years "old" and is absolutely indentical on the exterior (except for the small badging) to the TLC.

OK, so looks are personal opinion but they certainly do count, especially at this price point.

Beyond that I frankly do not know enough about these SUVs to make comment. I just felt that your comments above fell short on the points you were trying to make, given the facts I do know about the Escalade. I'm not sure where you draw your "class" lines to be of the opinion that the Escalade is not in the same class as the LX. In all honesty I'd be interested in your response.

Rob
  • Options
    Active Trac is useful in situations of low traction (off-road, ice...) where brakes are selectively applied to the spinning wheel(s)to transfer torque to the wheels with grip. Throttle may be reduced as well. This is not to be confused with VSC (or Stabilitrak) which controls/prevents skids. Also unlike my other car, the Acura TL (which has "traction control"), Active Trac works at all speeds. It is news to me that the Escalade has Active Trac, since I cannot find it in the reviews and Cadillac's website.

My point is that the LX470 has other safety features that the Escalade does not have. Remember that the Toyota/Lexus SUVs (except RAV4) has full VSC (Stabilitrak), Active Trac, Brake Assist, and Electronic Brake Distribution. These are standard on even the 4Runner, which is about $20K south of the Escalade. Talk about value...

Side airbags help somewhat (as I admit in my post above), but both the Escalade and the LX470 have not been crash tested by an independent agency, so the comparative safety of the two vehicles is unknown. Even better would be curtain airbags available on both.

4 channel, 4 sensor ABS is a better setup than 3 channels since it allows independent control of 4 wheels.

If you prefer the Escalade's looks, that's great. But I don't rate looks based on age, just as I think that a '67 Corvette is gorgeous compared to the new Corvette convertible. The Aztek is also a brand new design...

To me, the Escalade is a big "SAV", just like the X5 and the dreaded RX300. It is not an off-road vehicle given its set up. I've recently off-roaded (rocks and sand) with a '95 4Runner 4X4, ML430, and F150. Of these, the ML430 fared worst, and the 4Runner fared best (due to its small size and short wheelbase), while my LX470 and the F150 were able to keep up with the 4Runner throughout. The Escalade's poor capability in the dirt is documented by Motor Trend recently.

By class, I mean the level of trim quality (the feel of switches, hard vs. soft plastic, genuine or plastic wood...), the SUV's capability, the luxury appointments... If you haven't test driven both vehicles, I suggest that you do so.

I admit that the Escalade excels in pure power and towing capacity, but I don't own a horse trailer or tow my house...

Again, I do think that the Escalade is a good vehicle. To each his own, I'm sure...
  • Options
    robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    Thanks for explaing Active Trac. I don't believe I said the Escalade has it ('cause I didn't know what it was). The Escalade has traction control.

You are right, the Escalade is not designed to be a Rubicon Trail off-roader. No-one realisically (the auto mags are not realistic) would take his/her $50k+ luxury vehicle to such a place with the intent of doing any serious stuff off the road. I noted that you have not taken your LX to such a place based on your story.

I would agree that the LX has better use of materials on the interior all around, but I wonder if the difference is worth $10k+ at the end of the day. Then again, is any car over $30K really worth it at the end of the day?! The Escalade needs a new dashboard with no relation to any corporate cousins, and it should have real wood all around, not just the doors and steering wheel.
  • Options
    baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    khunyh: Here's all the escalde info.

http://www.cadillac.com/escalade/feat_perf_ride.htm

• Options
    keatonleekeatonlee Member Posts: 9
    I was looking for a '01 lx with nav ... was just told by the local Lexus dealer in connecticut that there were essentially no '01's left anywhere in the NE and he couldn't even get me a price ... told me he'd call with an '02.

Are '01's all sold out?

Also, anyone have any inkling re: pricing for '02?
  • Options
    bigdave12bigdave12 Member Posts: 14
    Was just quoted for 2001 Lx with Nav. Dealer is in So. Ca
    58,150 + Tax & Lic. Is this good deal? Anybody out there know
    if big changes comming for 2002?
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    What other options? What's the MSRP?
  • Options
    I just purchased a 2001 LX last Wednesday and put approximately 1200 miles on it over a long weekend drive to Tucson from San Diego. Let me just say that I am even more impressed now with the level of comfort and quality.

The most amazing thing was on the return drive through the desert with the temperature in excess of 100 degrees..hitting a mountain range which kills many lesser vehicles and cruising at 75 MPH without exceeding 3K RPMs with the AC keeping the entire cabin nice and brisk. Also, words cannot describe the Mark Levinson stereo system!

We did a thorough evaluation of the Cadillac, Mercedes ML430, BMW X5 4.4 and the Lexus and only the BMW came close to the quality..but it is a small vehicle.

The Caddy is still too similiar to other GMC products...and what is with all that chrome? Also, yes the horsepower is nice...but it truly lacks the smoothness of the LX.

I agree that there is some concern about the lack of airbags/curtains on the LX470 and I will be one of the first in line when this safety feature is made available.

In closing, my wife and I did an amazing amount of research and evaluation and the Lexus came up the winner and I look forward to seeing how Lexus addresses the airbag issue in 2003.
  • Options
    skimmelskimmel Member Posts: 43
    Given your extensive experience with SUVs in this class, how would you rank them?
  • Options
    Ended up buying the Lx mentioned in my previous
    post. The car is loaded, M.Levinson,Nav, tow
    hith,wheel locks, roof rack, rear spoiler, Gold
    kit (did not want it bit the car already had it
    on. If anybody wants to trade from chrome let me
    know.)I'm at work and don't have sticker but it
    was around $68,250.

By the way if anybody is interested, found a shop
    that can bypass the DVD saftey feature. Have
    appointment to take it in Tue next week.
  • Options
    I'm interested in bypassing the DVD too. Can you share with us (or me) this info? Thanks.
  • Options
    Seems to me that you got a really good deal. Don't suppose they have another? :)
  • Options
    Khuynh, the shop is in San Diego Lexus Kearny Mesa. I'm taking the
    car for the work in a couple of days. According to them they have
    bypassed several Lx's DVD saftey feature. I don't want to give their
    name out or recommend until I see what kind work they do on the car.
    I don't want to steer anybody wrong.

Keatonlee, I got this deal at Lexus Kearney Mesa in San Diego, When
    I bought my car they had ten left. Only one with Nav. (cashmere)
    The salespersons name was Noel

Good luck and I'll keep you posted on the Nav issue.
  • Options
    Khuynh, In my previous post, I meant to say the shop is San Diego (NOT Lexus Kearny Mesa). Obviously a Lexus Dealer would not be
    bypassing their own saftey feature.
  • Options
    dogman5dogman5 Member Posts: 1
    Dave,

I currently drive a 99 landcruiser and was looking to upgrade to an '01 with a nav for ~51K

The 58,150 price is great. I currently have an SC430 on order but if I can get the LX for that price....It would definitely be worth the extra 7K.
  • Options
    In response to BigDave12. So you are the one who purchased the Lexus w/Nav System. It literally disappeared off the lot while we were looking at vehicles. We also purchased our 2001 LX470 from Noel, but we decided against the Nav system as there were not any available in the new Green within the Lexus computer system. By the way, Noel was great to work with and I would recommend to anyone that is looking for a vehicle to contact Lexus Kearny Mesa at 858-268-8000. And by the way....I am not affiliated with Lexus in any way!

In response to Skimmel, it is tough to rank the different luxury vehicles due to different sizes, etc. But, I would truly rank the Lexus number one for all around comfort, quality as well as for having the ability to actually go off road when needed. The BMW is quite nice, but small and the 4.4 w/sport package is not even recommended for winter driving (so much for going skiing). Also, the Mercedes and Cadillac seem to have some quality issues that still meed to be addressed. On the upside, the Cadillac, BMW and Mercedes do have a number of bells and whistles that Lexus has not taken advantage of yet (steering wheel controls, safety features, window shades, etc). But overall, I do not think that any other single vehicle can come close to the Lexus when looking to be called a Luxury SUV (and a true SUV at that).
  • Options
    stingrayy1stingrayy1 Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone here purchased the Lexus extended warranty sometime after the purchase of their LX470? I have a 2000 LX470 with approx. 12,700 miles and I'm thinking about purchasing the extended warranty. I heard it is possible to purchase the ext. warranty anytime before 48,000 miles. Is that right? How much did any of you paid for the 7/100,000/0 ext. warranty? Thank you for any reply.
  • Options
    sch2sch2 Member Posts: 8
    Apparently Lexus has a program going through early September where there are some nice dealer incentives. Even Carsdirect.com reflects good deals. I was offered a 01 LX470 with an MSRP of $65,100 (no Nav) for $55,100.
  • Options
    I was searching for 02 lx news ... found this link. Claims that a supercharger is going to be optional for the 02 lx?! Anyone have another other confirmation or news?

http://www.acme-outfitters.com/wwwboard/messages/3307.html

Also, found a site that seems to have an incredible price to pre-order '02 lx ... hitch is that you have to order at least 5 of them. ... I'm getting info.

• Options
    mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    Supercharge already exists as an aftermarket accessory. It's made by Safari (australia) and runs about $5k I believe.
  • Options
    Just returned from a trip to Zurich and saw a number of Land Cruisers with V8 500 on the tailgate.

Maybe there is an LX500 due....
  • Options
    mghmgh Member Posts: 43
    Bad news here

I tried that already a year a go and Safary can't sell me the chip that bypasses the electronic speed protector. If anybody here knows where to get this chip please advice.

MG
  • Options
    britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I see where the invoice price for a '01 470 is $54,358.00 - is it possible to get it for about $50K, or am I dreaming the impossible dream? At this time of year, how far below invoice can you get one of these? Or can you get one below invoice? thanks for your input
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    "To dream the impossible dream..."

I don't know if there's any dealer cash on this one, the 2001 Land Cruiser has $3000, but I think you're trying too low. The dealers are anxious, not desperate, to move remaining 2001 products.
  • Options
    britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I read that the Lexus LX 470 requires premium fuel - what happens if you don't use premium? Is is harmful to the engine? We are thinking about buying a 2000 model and were wondering about this ..thanks
  • Options
    mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    My understanding is that it's okay to use 87 octane. It will run on it, but the engine compression is such that it will cause problems if used all the time. The premium burns more cleanly and all the "mist" is exploded in the combustion chamber. For an extra couple hundred bucks a year, I really don't want to require engine work down the road.