Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Prius Owners - Give Us Your Report

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Congratulations on your new car! Let us know what you think about it!

Comments

• kevregkevreg Member Posts: 11
    I just filled up my new 2005 for the first time today. What a deal. I got 54.5 mpg on with almost 50/50 city/highway driving. The biggest difference for me with this the "Prius" is that it has helped me do a 180 with my driving style. I am a notorius lead foot, tailgater, multi-lane changing driver. Playing the "how many mpg can i get today" game has really made me a safer driver and greatly reduced my chances of getting a speeding ticket. Did I mention the 54.5 mpg on my first tank?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Did I mention the 54.5 mpg on my first tank?"

Was that calculated from miles driven vs. Gallons used, or off of the MFD as calculated by the trip computer?
  • kevregkevreg Member Posts: 11
    That was miles drives divided by gallons pumped into the gas tank. Acceleration and braking must by done very gently to achieve these results. A lot of coasting down hill. It does take some getting used to, but it is fun challenge and well worth the time.
  • manolommmanolomm Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this forum. Just purchased the Prius 2005 with all the bells and whisltes. I love all the stuff that came with prius. Where can I go and find accesories for it?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You will want to step over to the Prius Owners:
    Accessories
    discussion to see where others are getting theirs.
  • mtransue1mtransue1 Member Posts: 15
    Go on E Bay and search out Prius hybrids and accessories. There are a myriad of thing to buy if you are interested..
  • yardstickyardstick Member Posts: 5
    I love my new Prius. I'm definately not your typical Prius owner: I hate NPR, I can't stand Hollywood, I don't wear Birkenstocks, I voted for Bush (twice)and I never eat tofu! But wow, what a technological marvel this car is! You have to wonder how good the third generation Prius will be.
  • sipsgassipsgas Member Posts: 1
    Had an interesting day yesterday. Our 96 Volvo 850 wagon was acting up a bit the last couple days, so we decided to checkout the Prius. While checking out the Prius and looking into trading the wagon in, the wagon decided to stop working. It actually died at the dealer in their used car lot and refused to start :sick: . Luckily this happened after the dealer had driven the Volvo around, determined a trade in value, and inked the deal. Not only that, but the slapped a USED sticker on the car even before we removed all of our stuff!

So now we are the owners of a Blue 06' Prius, Package #7. The car actually in transit to the dealership and should be in today. We wanted a package #8, but there were only THREE of them located in our area VA,MD,PA,NJ. The dealer is having the leather added in for roughly $1,200.
    :)
    Congratulations on your new Prius! Be sure and keep us informed on how it is going...
  • looking4priuslooking4prius Member Posts: 53
    We got our new Seaside Pearl #3 two weeks ago now. :shades: My old Honda Accord is still in the driveway, and it is having problems starting, too. We are waiting for the towtruck to come and pick it up...donating it to a charity.
  • cruising7388cruising7388 Member Posts: 125
    Hopefully, a third generation PRIUS will perform better and be less dangerous than a third generation BUSH.
  • yardstickyardstick Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to Bush's Energy Policy Act of 2005, the hybrid tax credits are now in effect and hybrids are affordable to folks like me. Most Democrats opposed this bill. I'll grant you that he's a pretty bad president, but at least he got this through. It's also ironic that he's taking the heat for high gas prices when every time he proposes to go after new sources of oil, the Democrats oppose him.
  • bnewinsbnewins Member Posts: 25
    Sorry. I'm sure this has been asked before. My wife is getting a new Prius in about 3 wks. And I am considering the Camry Hybrid in June (on wait list). Can we take BOTH tax credits on next years taxes?
    Sorry. I'm sure this has been asked before. My wife is getting a new Prius in about 3 wks. And I am considering the Camry Hybrid in June (on wait list). Can we take BOTH tax credits on next years taxes?

The answer is yes, you can take multiple tax credit exemptions. But the amount of credit is vehicle specific.
    I know the Prius qualifies for $3150. Don't know what the credit is for the Camry.Probably sometime around September 1, if sufficient quantities of hybrids are sold, the amount of credit permitted will diminish.
    I checked the vote tally on the bill. It was 275 for and 156 against in the House and 74 for and 26 against, so it certainly was not a party vote pattern and is at variance with your observation that most Democrats opposed the bill. FYI, John McCain vehemently objected to the bill describing it as "No lobbyist left behind". I don't think any members of Congress objected to the hybrid provisions and my understanding is that those who voted against the act did so because there were some serious lobbying perks for the nuclear and oil industries , particularly for the State of Texas.

What really puzzles me is why the hybrid credit has such a short fuse on it. If Congress was really interested in stimulating consumer investment in this technology, why did they sharply limit the total number of vehicles that can qualify to 60,000? And why would you want to exclude low income people who don't have sufficient tax liability to offset the credit?
    "If Congress was really interested in stimulating consumer investment in this technology, why did they sharply limit the total number of vehicles that can qualify to 60,000?"

The bill is designed to encourage auto makers to build new hybrids; it is designed to help those automakers who do not have a lot of hybrid experience(GM, Ford, Chrysler). Once the hybrids are built, the companies no longer need the incentives.
  • davem7davem7 Member Posts: 35
    The lobbyists for the American auto manufacturers prevailed in having the limit set at 60,000. If the limit were say 100,000, thats 40,000 more Priuses that would easily be sold. The 60,000 limit gives the American manufacturers more time to get their watered down hybrids on the market although realistically in terms of FE they will never seriously compete with the HCH or Prius, tax credit or not.
  • jaxsoljaxsol Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have owned my 2005 Prius for 1 month now. I absolutely love this car! I bought it with 10,200 miles on it. It has package 4. In the past two years I have gone through a LOT of cars (99 VW New Beetle, 97 Honda del Sol, 00 Toyota Celica, 02 Mini Cooper, 00 Honda S2000, 00 Chevy Tracker, and an 05 Ford Escape...whew!) It is the running joke in my ofc to see what I drive up in next. Granted it has only been a month, but I am confident that there is no better car out there. Aside from the ones that I have owned, a big hobby is to test drive everything out there. The Prius was a very pleasant surprise!
  • seekoseeko Member Posts: 33
    hi there. you are going to continue to love it also. had mine since feb 8 th and wouldn't part with it for the world. pete :D
  • seekoseeko Member Posts: 33
    hi there p.f. i've had my prius 06 white #8 for 5500 miles now and just love it.i never ever thought i'd have a toyota in a million years. went from a cadillac eldorado to a prius. with pkg# 8 you are not suffering that much. in fact dont miss cad at all.never thought i'd say that. but its true. only thing i wish drivers seat would go back a few more inches cause i am 6ft. 3 in. once again the prius is one good little machine so far. is there anyone out there with a lot of miles on one? see ya pete ;)
  • elsonluielsonlui Member Posts: 4
    We just got the 2006 Prius Package #8. We love it. The only thing is we're not getting the mileage we expected. We've been watching the MFD - we haven't driven it enough to calculate it by gallons put in the tank. At first we were using the "B" to go uphill and downhill, but we learned from this forum that we're only supposed to use B for going down steep hills, so hopefully our mileage will now improve.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Congratulations on your new car elsonlui! Check the Toyota Prius: MPG-Real World Numbers discussion for answers to your questions on mileage performance.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Stay away from B, period! Unless you are on a severe, prolonged downhill stretch, all it does it eat gasoline.

And the first tank of fuel is no way to measure fuel consumption, anyway...

I drive the car like every other car we've owned, and I refuse to play the "Prius games" to try to get over-the-top fuel numbers. At the 4k mark, we consistently get 40-45 mpg, which is what every long-term magazine test has achieved. That's a realistic number. If you do better, fine...doing worse is pretty hard...
  • gilliewgilliew Member Posts: 1
    Had to remove roof Antenna - too tall for garage door.
    Any suggestions?
  • mtuftsmtufts Member Posts: 12
    We just got our new 06 Prius! I wish I could send a picture to show you how proud I am! Husband and I bought one in HOT red - with Package #2. I am a MIS/IT support tech--and when I read about saving the environment AND waving at the gas pumps as I drove by, I just HAD to have the vehicle! We got 48.9 on the way home from the dealership. We had to buy the car 4 hours from our home because the home dealer would NOT order one for us--but wanted us to buy a much higher priced model Toyota. We persisted and asked for quotes over the internet (in all of Texas). We had ONE dealer respond--from Round Rock. He got the sale--and our recommendations. I think he has had three new car sale prospects since then from us! They have a one-on-one orientation (before you are allowed to drive from their lot) from a lovely lady--and we are SO impressed!! We got the "barely street legal" tint on the windows--so we can't operate them for a few days--but who wants to in 100-degree heat? Call us ROMANCED and looking through rose-colored glasses at this point (and hopefully forever) with this new 06 Prius! :shades:
  • mtuftsmtufts Member Posts: 12
    Got our 06 Prius! Went to a one HOUR "one-on-one orientation" which was excellent before they would allow us to drive it off the LOT even. It is HOT red--and with Package #2. Glad I didn't get the "whistles and bells" package because we would have had to attend the orientation for TWO hours! Drives like a dream; surprised that there was no break-in; dealer said to drive it like we drive it. Got the "barely street legal" tinting for the windows so we can't open them for a few days (who wants to in 100+ degree heat?) and we drove it for the 4-hour trip. Averaged--AVERAGED 48.9 MPG on the way home!! So thrilled. I have switched over to the "New Prius" owners section--and I have told the dealer all about Edmunds. I hope for many, many happy miles in this "computer with wheels." :shades:
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    There is a kit available that replaces the whip antenna with a low-profile "shark fin". Do a Google on Prius antenna replacement, or go to PriusChat and do a search there. I'm only vaguely aware of this because others have done it primarily for appearance, and I tuned it out as a result. Sounds like you need for for a practical reason....

And you do know it unscrews easily? I take it off every time we garage our car because we also cover the car [condo garage with open air at either end - too much dirt]...but I do realize that doing this every time you come and go out of the garage is more than most people are willing to do.
  • kienkien Member Posts: 5
    Could you share with us the name of the dealership you bought your Prius and the contact person?
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    I just put down deposit on Prius w/#3 over the weekend after comparing it against TCH and HCH. I chose Prius not really for its mileage or performance, but for its unique experience (it's so different than anything else). Anyhow, I need some advice from current owners. If I skip NAV, besides not having a GPS, a fancier stereo and bluetooth capabilities, do I miss any unique, novel or useful features? Thanks.
  • lutzfernandezlutzfernandez Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a 2006 Prius (what a project to get one in Connecticut!) last month. Reading the past posts on here (especially from last spring) and reading/hearing a bit in the press about so-called liberal hybrid owners, I am curious if there is a "typical" Prius owner in terms of politics, background, or interests. Any thoughts?
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    That might be the "easy" answer, but after reading these forums in detail, the only real, repeating common thread I have discovered is a love of new technologies and a hate for paying high prices for gasoline.

So in this case, its a good love-hate relationship! ;)
  • lutzfernandezlutzfernandez Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for responding, Terry. You helped me with my cruise control question a few weeks ago--
  • chetbobchetbob Member Posts: 18
    Purchased a new 06 Prius, package3, about 3 weeks ago. Driven about 1800 miles and absolutely no issues with the car. Am averaging 53.4 mpg. When i bought, the dealer only had 3 cars on the lot. He still has the other 2. Another dealer an hour away has 16. What happened to the sales?
  • swellfishswellfish Member Posts: 1
    Hi all!
    Just bought a prius 06 package #5, waited about 2.5 months for it,had really unusual feeling when driving on highway at speeds 60+, steering floats left and right, surging noticed too. Returned to dealership, it needed new wheel bearings, they replaced those(delearship was very nice about the problem),but
    only to find out it still "floats" and surges at a lesser degree?? Anyone else having this problem? Love the car but if this is the norm on the highway,can't deal with it even with the gas mileage of 47.5! This is the first Prius I have driven on the highway,so if anyone else has comments on the handling? Or maybe its a lemon.
  • lynsamlynsam Member Posts: 5
    Hi Swellfish -- I have a similar problem. I too am wondering if I have a lemon! I have only 134 miles, and this week I did a real highway drive for the first time. The steering is super loose and feels unsafe; the alignment is off and the car veers to the left, and the steering shaft is shaky at highway speeds. I don't like this. I thihk the handling is crummy, and the vehicle feels unsafe. I'm ready to sell it already! Please keep me posted!
    Just picked up my 2007 Prius #2 on 9/29. Was going to get a 2006 #3 but a dealer promised to get a 2007 before Sept. 30, and they delivered.

Put 100 miles on it so far, gone maybe 60+ miles at highway speed (65-75 in SoCal), and have not experienced too much steering wheel drifting problems reported. In fact, I was concerned about this (before buying), and so far am pleasantly surprised about not feeling it.

I have read in other forums about adding BT Brace to stiffen the lateral (right-left) rigidity of the car. It's not too pricey ($ 150-200 I think), and takes only 5-10 minutes to install (mainly taken to jack up the car). I was going to get it myself but so far think the handling is not too bad. So I may wait until later.

So far I am just thrilled by the mileage and running in silence (electric). It's fun again to drive and see how far I can go with a gallon of gas.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    ck90211 said "It's fun again to drive and see how far I can go with a gallon of gas. "
    LOL I had the same feeling when I drive my S2000 with the top down. I can not for the life of me image a Prius being fun-to-drive. Economical ( weil except for the inital cost), drum rear brakes, languid acceleration and braking, mediocre handling on skinny high mileage tire, "green". Yes it is all of those, but fun-to-drive, are you serious?

MidCow
    As was noted, this is not a political forum...

To keep things for spinning completely of topic, I'm removing the off topic posts.

This discussion is for new Prius owners to give us their first reports about their new vehicles.
    Midcow, I am serious about Prius fun-to-drive. Can't argue with S2000's performance, but fun (for me at least) is about nearing a car's limit (and pushing the limit of your handling skills). That is why fun (even sporting) is defined differently in every era, in different car class, in different terrains, etc..

You probably get a lot of fun darting around traffic, putting S2000's shifter, suspension, redline, brakes to work. For me, I will be putting the Prius's electric motor to work, hoping I can cover the same trip by using the electric motor as much as I can, still keep up with the traffic. Your fun probably comes from how little time you use for your trip, my fun comes from how little gas I use for the same trip.

But if your trip is so "FUN", why are you trying to shave time off it?
  • priusman2007priusman2007 Member Posts: 4
    Hi everybody,
    We just bought our 2007 Prius with the #5 Options Package and have driven it about 250 miles. No problems, just smiles. Car drives smooth and tracks perfectly. Gas mileage is overall 45-48 mpg, wow! What a change from my old Tahoe and SS Camaro. Paid regular msrp, no extra or up charges. Sierra Toyota in Lancaster, Ca. was great! Surprises? Yeah, I am surprised how much I enjoy the Navagation system, too much fun! The sound system in the opt.5 is outstanding. :D
    Okay let me try this again. How do you like your Prius compared to the SS Camero? The SS Camaro has always been one of my favorite muscle cars nice tire spinning power and a sweet exhaust note. I am sure you like the much,much better mileage of the Prius, but don't you miss the power just a littel?

MidCow
  • quasar4quasar4 Member Posts: 110
    How do you like apples compared to oranges?

Why not accept that fact that when someone says they have fun driving a Prius, they are telling the truth? Do you think that people are just saying they love driving the car when secretly they hate it? Who cares what the reason is? If it's fun, it's fun. I love chocolate cake and I love sushi. Is is unbelievable that I can love both?

I love driving my Prius. It's fun to drive. Your opinion may differ.
    Pardon me Quasar4 but my question was directed at Priusman2007 who previously had a Camero SS. I would appreciate if you would not try to answer for him.

Thank You,

MidCow
    We're not here to argue about things. This discussion is for new Prius owners to post their first impressions, not "I like the Prius, why don't you"

Let's move on please.
    forum: n 1: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion 2: a public facility to meet for open discussion.

Hmmm....is someone afraid of open discussion? Looks like I touched a nerve. My post in no way prevents Priusman2007 from responding. I'm free to comment like anyone else in this forum.

P.S. Message #50 is directed to you. I would appreciate an answer unless you're waiting for someone else to answer for you. ;)
    Judging from the recent comments, it's more like: "You like the Prius?? How can you??"
    I usually like to take the car on a test drive or two before plunking down the big bucks. Super loose steering, misalignment and a shaky steering shaft at highway speeds so bad to make you want to sell the car should be easy to spot. If they were imperceptible in the test drive car, then either you didn't do an adequate test drive, or it's a problem with your particular car that the dealer should correct.

My report: no problems with loose steering; no problems with misalignment; no problems with the steering shaft at any speed. The only time I've ever noticed a negative effect on handling was in strong crosswinds.
    Quasar4:

Sorry didn't realize you were asking me questions. Okay I will answer.

"How do you like apples compared to oranges?"
    I like diversity and competition, fosters innovations and improvements at a faster pace.

Why not accept that fact that when someone says they have fun driving a Prius, they are telling the truth?
    Yes, I believe they are telling the truth. However sometimes, it is an attempt to overcome buyer's remorse. You are aware, that most advertisments are viewed by people who have bought a car to assure them they made the right decision. A car purchase is the second largest purchase a person makes, with a house being first.

"Do you think that people are just saying they love driving the car when secretly they hate it?" No, I think they are justifying their purchase and many really do like their car :) But then again many who say they love driving, I would venture to say have not driven some cars that really handle well, example BMW; however, I could be wrong, just my opinion. Compared to other economy cars, the Prius does drive very well. Many Prius drivers are looking for high miles per gallon. A few are environmental "green" And each has paid quite a bit to get their Prius ($22K-$30K). There are clearly much less costly new cars and used cars, so absolute TCO is not the reason. Much of it is the unknown fear of rising gas prices.

"Who cares what the reason is? If it's fun, it's fun. I love chocolate cake and I love sushi. Is is unbelievable that I can love both? " Just discussion of trying to understand car owners and what they like and what they perceive. I am a car nut, like new technology, I am entralled with the Prius: Toyota, new technology, interesting HSD system, etc. I also like handling, performance and manual shift.

There, did that answer you questions in a reasonable manner?
    Have a Nice Day :) ,

MidCow

P.S.- By the way, I still thought and think the 325 Hp SS Camero was an awesome car, too bad it lost out to Mustang. Then again Chevrolet is coming out with a brand new design Camaro. Like Priusman2007, I am toying with sacrificing performance, handling, and maybe even manual shift for economy maybe even a Prius. That why I am interested in his thoughts as a new owner of a Prius, coming from a V8 MUSCLE car.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    http://psychologytoday.com

They have many nice forums to explore the "secret meaning" behind people doing & saying what they do.

People bought Edsels, they buy Mini Coopers, and before that the MG Midgets. IMO, I couldn't see it, but when a person finds one they love, its a beautiful thing, no? ;)
    The forums are not a place to discuss each other.