Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Collector Car Publications

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
If you're looking for a specific title or for a
source for car books, how-to, sales literature,
classified ad sources, racing history, etc., post
your inquiry here.

If you've recently read or come across a
publication that you'd like to "review" here,
please do so!
Tagged:

Comments

• SpedmanSpedman Member Posts: 15
    Mr. Shiftright, you've seen a similar post in another topic you're running.
    Am looking for information on availability and pricing for either
    1) '64 Dodge Dart convertible w/automatic, in
    good condition.

2) '64 Chevy Corvair convertible w/automatic,
    in good condition.

Any lines on information sources would be appreciated.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Dear Spedman,

Try this site for pricing information that I think is pretty accurate (as long as you know what the classes of condition mean for the various prices listed)

http://www.vmrintl.com/

As far as availability, neither of those cars is particularly rare and there should be enough to chose from, although maybe not right in your immediate area. Either car would be a nice way to enjoy some "classic" top-down motoring.

another site to shop for cars and check prices would be:

http://www.traderonline.com/coll/index.shtml

good luck in your search,
  • dkm1dkm1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a price for a 1958 volkswagon beetle. If any one can help me, please e-mail me.

thanks.
    When you mean a price, you mean you want to buy one or you want to know what one is worth. Do you have any idea of condition?
  • sbishop1sbishop1 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to determine a reasonable selling price for a 1957 Chevy pickup. It's condition is somewhere between fair and poor, mainly due to rust in the body. It does run. Does anyone have some guidance to offer?

Thanks,
    Well, fair condition would be around $3,000, but that really wouldn't account for rust, so you'd have to deduct from that, I think...it really depends on how bad the rust is...if it's perforated the body extensively, it may not be worth saving, but if it's not rampant rust you might ask $1,000-1,500 and see what happens....figuring that a show truck would bring $10-12K, you can see why someone would have to consider how much they could invest, since a complete resto would no doubt cost more than current restored value.
  • dpownalldpownall Member Posts: 1
    I inherited a 62 Chevy Nova Post with a 6 cylinder and 50k original miles and am looking for value of the car, it has a few door dings but other then that it is in excellant shape.
    As a 6 cylinder, it has less appeal than the later Nova V-8s, but still they were great little cars and quite dependable and a car such as this would make a nice driver rather than a collector car (although you'd get some looks too, I guess).

I'd figure an ultimate selling price (the price at which someone would "bite") at around $4,000 if the car is decent looking in all respects. So you could ask more and come down gradually until you sell. But if you ask for bigger numbers you start competing with some nice modern cars and you may have a long wait. I suppose a real cream puff version of this car could go off at $5,500.
  • seeley5060seeley5060 Member Posts: 25
    Mr. Shiftright; I'm trying to find a fare price for my 66 mustang coupe which has 115k Nevada miles, 3 spd on the floor, 289 ci., AM radio, A/C, Manual steering and brakes. I looked at the guide lines Re: prices but the production code of 72 has me puzzled. Any help from you would be appreciated.

Thanks............Seeley5060@aol.com
  • jaltonjalton Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1965 Porsche and a 1966 Volkswagen. Is there any source of ORIGINAL price information. I would be very interested in comparing the original prices of my cars to other contemporary cars.
    Yes, the Kelley Early Car Edition should have that (check your local library), and I believe that the NADA classic and collectible appraisal guide has it also. A 1965 Porsche went for $4,400-5,000 depending on model and a '66 VW bugs $1,500-2,000 depending on model (the cabriolets in both cases being the most expensive).
  • furyiii68furyiii68 Member Posts: 2
    Mr. Shiftright, I have some old Nova (70s) and Toyota ('79 - '81) Chilton Manuals that I am willing to give away to anybody that needs them instead of tossing them in the recycling bin. Do you know of anybody or anyplace that would take them?
    Possibly the donation section of your local library, often called the "Friends of the Library". They take donated books, clean 'em up, rpice 'em, and sell them, giving the money to the library for necessary items like lamps or scanning pens or computers, etc.
  • carfreak6carfreak6 Member Posts: 1
    Original owner died now his son is trying to sell it. Been offered $10k but won't sell to anyone who will change it in any way. This car still has the original factory seat covers in it. No flaws at all, aside from the "new" paint job done in 1956 (original color matched), engine rebuild in 1958, and tires somewhere along the line. We want this car to go to a collector if anyone. Can anyone help?
    Well, if he's trying to sell it, he should just sell it, I think. $10K is already way over market value---what else does he want? This is not a classic and barely a collectible car. It's just a nice old Chevy. If someone wants to change it to their own tastes, there is no harm done to history. We aren't talking Duesenberg here. Besides, it is not realistic to expect someone esle to understand one's own emotional attachment to a car. Time to let go and get on with life, I would advise...and grab that person who offered $10K by the ankles and hold on to him tightly until the check clears!
  • speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 1,598
    Carfreak, I went through the same thing, selling a car that had been in the family since new. It was a '67 Skylark 4-door sedan, just old and not collectible. I see it every so often and they've done a few things to it I didn't like at first, like taking off the fender skirts and putting on factory styled-steel wheels, but at least it means they think the car is special (no pun intended; it's a Buick, get it?).
  • crieckecriecke Member Posts: 37
    At one time I received a catalog of books on many
    makes and models of cars with their history and
    photos.

Full color catalog just loaded with car info.I
    haven't seen one in awhile and don't remember
    the name. I did purchase several books.

Can anyone help me with the name etc. Charlie

criecke@charleston.net
    Probably it was from--www.motorbooks.com

Shifty your Host
  • crieckecriecke Member Posts: 37
    I think you have hit the nail on the head. The
    Co logo sure looks familiar.

I have sent for the catalog so will know for
    sure shortly.

Thanks, Charlie Johns Island, SC
  • gmeroygmeroy Member Posts: 1
    1979 Pontiac Grand LeMans Special Two-tone
    Beige/Copper 310 in3 2-bbl with approx. 75000 miles
    This from my mother's estate. Interior is in excellent shape (usually dash fade) and exterior is good. Not sure what this is worth, but there may be someone out there who is interested for the drivetrain or wants to have a nice old show car.
This discussion has been closed.