Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris - Audio, Stereo questions

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
Have a question or comment about the audio capabilities of the Yaris? Ask here!

Comments

• number55number55 Member Posts: 8
    Ok, I have the factory installed mp3/wma stereo and I just put 2 12in audiobahn subwoofers in the trunk and have the 1200 watt amplifier connected to the stereo via the converter. Now, I notice the cover over the stereo isn't any old cover so how much would it cost me to get one to fit an aftermarket stereo?
  • laurie_tlaurie_t Member Posts: 15
    I'm sure that I'm doing something dumb... :blush: but here's the problem: When I play my iPod thru the aux system, the balance is off - the right speakers in the car are loud and clear, while there is barely any sound coming out of the left speakers. This does not happen when I am using the radio, though.

Any ideas as to why this may be occuring?

Thanks
  • lucyllucyl Member Posts: 4
    It sounds like a bad auxiliary cord thats connected to the iPod. Try going to Radio Shack to buy another one. If its not the cord, you can always return it.
  • lowfrontlowfront Member Posts: 2
    Alright I've looked through here and can only seem to find people talking about speaker size with the liftback. Does anyone know the speaker sizes for the sedan? Thanks a lot

And also I've never had component speakers before, I'm looking at the MB Quart RCE 216. Are they hard to install for someone who knows nothing about component speakers?
    Thanks Lucy - that's exactly what it was - I just needed a new cord.

I knew it was going to be something dumb on my part.. :blush:
  • listen2melisten2me Member Posts: 2
    does the car bring the auxiliary cord?
    no, you have to provide your own.
  • listen2melisten2me Member Posts: 2
    Thank you
  • lowfrontlowfront Member Posts: 2
    Alright I'm looking into installing a system soon. First off how do I replace the Headunit. Seems like there is no way to do it cleanly. Could you link to a pic of a aftermarket radio in the yaris.

How do you take the dash apart to get it in there?
  • cajuincajuin Member Posts: 2
    Hi my first time here so bare with me I have a Yaris Sedan s type. Well my question is how can i hook up a amp and a subwoofer to the already stock stereo?is this possible?what are the pros and cons?will it sound good?and does it have the rca ports? Thanks for the help guys i greatly appreciate it. :shades:
    Ya I just did the same thing to my yaris. I kept the factory stereo and I had to buy a low level line converter for like $25 at best buy. I bought the rca jacks and all the wiring for around $75 after some price matching at best buy and then got my amp installed for another 50 there. The factory stereo doesn't have a great equalizer (which means the bass level may change between each song even though the treb is consistent, where an aftermarket would clear up the bass so you can hear the treb better) , but its fine for me at this point, and I'll probably go aftermarket later with a new stereo/speakers. The car handles my 1200w amp perfectly, but the tail lights shake from the subs, not that that isn't uncommon (looking to maybe put styrofoam insulation somewhere?). Otherwise it is $150 install at best buy if you can price match good. I didn't want to try to install them, being that the factory radio is so new and that head console looked like a doozy. Hope this helped.
  • azyarisazyaris Member Posts: 5
    Cajuin,
    I am in the process of putting some tunes in my Yaris S and am wondering if you have any pix of your install? I have a Infinity 6 ch amp and am in the process of buying speakers, but am unsure where to mount the amp, hopefully without taking up too much room in the trunk.
    Thanks!
    I have fold down seats so I drilled the amp on the back of the seats.
  • abcabc1abcabc1 Member Posts: 4
    A few weeks after I purchased my Yaris I found that the CD player won't play multisession MP3 CD's. Multisession means that you burn a few songs on a CD, and then burn more songs at another time. The Yaris CD player will recognize the first set of songs burned on the CD, but will ignore any songs burned later.

This is way behind the times technologically. Is there another CD player made today that won't play multisession CD's?

To make matters worse, the Yaris manual implies the CD/MP3 will play multisession. On page 145 you will find the following: “It is possible to play back multi-session compatible recorded disks.” I argued with the dealer for awhile and finally wrote to Toyota Customer Experience. The answer I finally got was that the problem is a "design flaw", not a defect, so it isn't covered under warranty.

If curious to know if the Scion stereos have the same "design flaw". They appear to be the same size and are probably made by the same manufacturer.
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    If we were talking about a "design flaw" in say the power steering, wouldn't it considered to be cause for a recall. If the owners manual says it should do something and it doesn't, then it should be replaced at Toyota's expense. By the way, this is the first problem that I have ever heard anyone having with a Yaris outside of people upset that they are not getting as good gas mileage as everyone else.
  • byarisbyaris Member Posts: 2
    I just installed a Pioneer head unit in my Yaris 3-door hatch, using the dash kit for a Scion xB. Removed most of the tabs, and it looks fine. Here's some pics of my installation.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/451/pict0008siq7.jpg
    http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/5444/pict0004ssh5.jpg
    http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/1188/pict0006sky4.jpg
    http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4623/pict0005svq9.jpg
    http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/1620/pict0009sci9.jpg
    http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/9628/pict0001szt5.jpg

I installed Polk 6.5" component speakers in the front, with the tweeters on the top door sills, and 6.5" Polks in the rear as coaxials. The amps are mounted on a board where the spare tire used to be (priorities), and the subwoofer is an eight-inch Kicker in a homemade box.
    Nice neat job, did you do all the work yourself? Did you start from scratch, or did you remove the MP3 4 speaker system that comes with the car? How much labor was involved? What did it cost for all the components?
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Does anyone know just how many watts of power the optional music system available with the Yaris Liftback delivers?

I'm not sure whether to opt for it, or just go with an aftermarket system with powered subwoofer. No, I'm not looking to impress anyone or boom out the hood as I drive. I just want to satisfy myself with power (say about 300 watts, not including the sub) and not have to deal with a lame Toyota unit.

Please inform. I'd sure appreciate it! ;)

Peace!
    Does anyone have an idea just how many watts the optional music system available with the Yaris Liftback delivers?

I'm not sure if I should opt for it, or go with an aftermarket system. I want at least 300 watts, not counting the subwoofer. :shades: No, I'm not looking to impress anyone as I boom along the hood, so to speak. But I do want to satisfy myself with strong audio, and not just a lame Toyota system.

I'd appreciate any 4-1-1 on this.

Many thanx-

Peace! ;)
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    300 watts? Plus subwoofer? No trying to boom out the hood? REALLY?
    Really!

I only seek a reply to my original question, not a rude editorial from an oaf. . .

The Ford Focus, for example, has an Sony audio system option
    rated at 500 watts, with subwoofer. There are many vehicles from different brands offering even MORE power in either a standard or optional system. My wanting a powerful system doesn't mean that I'll zoom and boom through the hood. Ask any audiophile and he/she will tell you that the more power a system has, the more it will reproduce at low levels of volume. The obvious sarcasm in your statement proves your ignorance in this aspect.

If I decide upon going with aftermarket I will do so, and if I feel like booming out the hood then I will, eventhough that is NOT my style. It seems you have no concept of what pimping out a ride is all about, and you probably don't even know what I'm talking about. But it doesn't matter.

I do hope that someone truly in the know will reply to my simple original question.

Case closed with you-

Peace! :D
  • tjw1308tjw1308 Member Posts: 296
    Not sure of the exact wattage but it isnt much... Probably only 25-35 WPC. It sounds DECENT but thats about all :)

It does play MP3's though, and for a factory "base" radio it isn't bad.

I'd say in the end you can always build yourself a better stereo than the factory for less $$$ (minus obscure speaker placement in pillars etc...).

There's a guy in the forum that did MB Quarts for a couple hundred bucks and said it was a drastic improvement.

I may try it myself :)

T
    Thanx, T. . .

That's exactly the amount of power I thought the optional stereo would produce. Lame! :sick:

I appreciate your replying.

Aftermarket is where it's at, speaking for myself-

Peace! ;)
  • tjw1308tjw1308 Member Posts: 296
    No exact specs, but my best guess would be 30WPC MAX. They may claim it more, but I have a pretty keen ear.

For those not thumping it's actually decent for a small car (and it plays MP3's), but it certainly ain't 300 watts.

T
  • roguedogroguedog Member Posts: 3
    Ok, call me silly but is there anyway someone can link me to the cord I need to plug my iPod into my Yaris?? I'm not exactly sure what I need. Thanks! :surprise:
  • mrrk47mrrk47 Member Posts: 104
    I had the same dilemma, you need a double ended headphone cord. I bought mine at Target for 4.99 . I imagine there are gold plated ones there that would offer better sound. Each end has a headphone jack.
  • cooljcoolj Member Posts: 15
    I have a yaris sedan - does anyone know how to change out the door speakers because they are riveted in? :confuse:
  • cooljcoolj Member Posts: 15
    Were the front speakers originally riveted in and how did you change them?
  • satrioxsatriox Member Posts: 1
    i've seen the double head phone cables but where do you jack them in the yaris? (any pic appreciated)
    will the ipod charge btw?
  • jjimmyjjimmy Member Posts: 1
    I recently installed a Sirius "plug & play" and I am experiencing alternator while as the engine revs. The installation was easy. I plugged in the power source, mounted the antenna on the dash and plugged in the AUX "direct" cable. Everything seems to work perfectly but I notice a high pitch whine while driving. What would be the best/easiest was to fix this problem? Thanks!
  • hime74hime74 Member Posts: 4
    Is there anyone who can help me by telling is there any way to take the factory cd out and clean it from the inside. I own a 2003 yaris made for the Europen market
    Can anyone tell me is it possible to clean a cd player in toyota yaris 2003. the message it posts on the display is disc err. thanks. :(
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Have you tried one of the CD cleaners available at all audio stores? They are a disc with cleaning elements on it and you just run it through the deck for awhile.
    Yes backy I have tried that but it does mot work. Just recently I have noticed that when I insert the cleaning disc the lights on the cd player go off and on. So it must be something else. Does anyone know.

• irishweenieirishweenie Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone,

I have a 2007 hatchback with the upgraded stereo system. I love that you can read the text and file names associated with a song when playing an MP3 CD. However I hate that longer file names/song names/artist names get cut off on the display. is there anyway to have the display scroll across the thing? or better yet is there rhyme or reason for each display? I have MP3s that have the title and artist in the file name and when i put it on the CD and try and listen to it in the car I get some thing like "MP3 Track 12" on all the text displays and I have no idea what i'm listening to (especially if I acquired the song by downloading means where nothing is labeled correctly)

in other words what exactly does each text setting refer to when creating the CD? ultimately Id like to be able to customize exactly what the display says so i cant tell what which track of which album of which artist in which folder I'm listening to. any ideas for harmonizing the yaris and computer?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    -Kathleen

PS: I LOVE MY CAR!
  • sweetgrlsweetgrl Member Posts: 4
    Can someone please help me. From reading the manual, my understanding is that when I am playing my ipod through the aux outlet I should be able to see the text that goes with the music (song title, etc.) I am unable to do that. I also can't use the folder button for anything. Am I doing something wrong or did I misunderstand the manual.? Seems like a waste to have to use the ipod itself to control the music.
  • bulajean29bulajean29 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same exact problem. I took it back to the dealer and they didn't know what the problem is. Can someone please tell me who to contact to fix this?
  • pictonatorpictonator Member Posts: 3
    Kathleen,
    I think it explains most of that in the owner's manual. I think it said that you hold down the text button for a few seconds and then it will scroll through all of the text. It also explains what it is displaying and in what order. It will display the folder, actual file name, artist name, album title, mp3 tag, etc... You can manually change all of that information on your computer before you burn the mp3 to your compact disc.

-Rich
  • pictonatorpictonator Member Posts: 3
    I don't use an ipod, I use a Creative Zen Micro, but I don't see how it could display the text on your car stereo display if you are using your headphone jack from your ipod to plug in to the auxillary jack. It is just a simple audio jack for sound to pass through, just like a headphone jack. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it would be able to pass the text information through that auxillary plug/jack.
  • ronshelronshel Member Posts: 1
    Hey Sweetgrl. I asked my dealer about the same problem with the ipod and no you are not suppose to see anything on the screen with it. The folder button is to use with the mp3 cds. Now my question is how do you compress the mp3s. I know how to do a data disc but how do you compress them to put more on there? and doesn't it lose the quality of songs?
  • adoobwaadoobwa Member Posts: 1
    I have a dumb question. When you hook up an iPod using the auxiliary jack, can you use the dashboard controls?
  • typer73typer73 Member Posts: 11
    Instead of using mp3 format, use WMA... it's more compact. I use 96kbps, it's ok for using in the car, and again, saves space.
  • drew113087drew113087 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 2007 toyota yaris sedan. and I was courious what type of stereo system it had in it. I know toyota like to put jbl in there Tundras, but I don't know about the yaris. I don't know if its a 1,2,or 3way system. whether or not if it has coaxials or components built in. i anyone know for a fact, what the yaris has in it wheter it be jbl, boston, or whatever.
  • branellybranelly Member Posts: 1
    I'm owner of a 2007 Yaris Sedan, and I use my CD player the entire time. I always use MP3 CDs burned by me, with Nero Express. I tend to make different folders to make playlists, and they always play fine. And I always leave the session of the CD open.

My problem is, for example, I burned a CD with 2 playlists (folders). Two months later I want to add another playlist to the CD, and when I put it in, it plays all the songs that were there, but not the new ones. This also happened with a CD with no folders at all; it won't play the new burned files.

I have checked the CDs in another MP3 CD player and they sound fine.

Is the CD player incapable of doing so or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you. :)
  • frurkelfrurkel Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a Yaris Hatch with standard stereo. I'm having trouble with the signal strength. When I'm sitting still the stereo sounds great but when I start to drive the signal strength drops slightly and only one of my front speakers works. Is this a connection or reception problem? Is there a way to get this fixed?
  • ageisseageisse Member Posts: 1
    ON the "double ended headphone cord", is it a 3.5MM plug? And is it "two or three" rungs on the plug?
    Thanks for the help
  • yaris4meyaris4me Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Yaris with the Toyota stock non-SRS mp3 player and a few months ago I think I pressed the text button while a MP3 CD was being loaded. Since then no CD/MP3 text will display for any CD. This make navigating directories and songs impossible on Mp3 cds, forcing me to just listen to it on random. I have tried pressing/holding/strobing the text button at just about every possible state of operation for the player and nothing seems able to fix it. Anyone seen this before and have any help?
  • caferacer1000caferacer1000 Member Posts: 3
    Some of you may have noticed that most MP3 players just don't have the power to drive the stock stereo in the Yaris. I bought a Boosteroo in line amp for my player that fits in the little slot next to handbrake and really does a nice job of punching up the sound cleanly. They have some different models in different prices. Hope this helps someone.
  • mrlobomrlobo Member Posts: 3
    Just got a 2008 yaris sedan and am really happy with it!
    i tried to make a mp3 cd for the car with for diffrent folders on the disc and it will only play one of the four folders. I am using creative zen media source 5 .
    if anyone can give me some help or tips would be great !!!
    Have you tried the up arrow button to switch between folders?