Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Does anyone know if the 2003 lx will have:

1. HID lights?
    2. Parking assist (beeps when you're about to hit something while backing up)

and..

3. An in-dash cd loader/changer instead of a cartridge.

The LS 430 Ultra has all these features and I'm wondering if the Lx will offer them. I couldn't find these answers on the official lexus site. I've heard that these options will be offered but haven't gotten a good source to confirm this.

Thanks to any knowledgeable lexus folks for the answers.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I don't know about parking assist - it certainly would be nice. Halogens are standard and the 6 disc in-dash cd has been on this truck for several years now. The Mark Levinson just upgrades that system. The old model had the box/player at the back-end bottom of the center console. There is also a factory installed dvd entertainment system as an option. But any Lexus dealer can do that as well to most Lexus cars and SUVS.
    Thanks ljflx..do you know where the cd's are loaded? Is it a cartridge based system (like the one I've seen on the 2002) or do they slide in individually into the dash like in the LS? Personally, I don't like cartridge systems because they use up space in the armrest and because to me they're harder to load and unload quickly (like in my navigator). Also, any clue why halogens are standard and not HID's? My wife's rx has HID's and I like the illumination they provide at night... the bright white light makes things seem clearer to me. Does anyone here like halogen's better (are they a better light overall)? Again, thanks to all.
    On mine I slide them right into the dash just like on the LS430. There is no cartridge holder.
    I can see why you (and me also now) are confused about the CD changer. I took one of the last 2000 models and it has the Nakamichi stereo (also a great stereo system). My cd's go right into the dash in the same manner as the LS430. But in Edmunds and on the Lexus.com site it seems they reverted back to a casette holder. I can't imagine why they would do that. When you looked at the 2002 model was it in the center console?
    The Cd changer/cartridge on the 2002 was in the center console under the arm rest. It's my brother-in-law's truck and I was going nuts trying to figure out where the cd's went until he showed me the changer under the arm rest. While not my preffered method of storing/using cd's I can live with that system. I'd REALLY like to have parking assist and HID lights on the truck though. I'll be in the market for a new truck within the next year and I figure that for the $$ this truck should offer every option known to man.
  • jma7jma7 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the angle of the gas pedal on LX470? Should the relative position of the brake pedal and gas pedal be kept constant if the gas pedal is adjusted?

Thanx!
  • gkexecgkexec Member Posts: 6
    On August 27, I posted a message about some clouding and fading of the paint of my 2000 LX 470. Lexus has now finished investigating the manner and has no firm conclusion of the cause. In other words, it could be an environmental issue, a factory problem or something else. Personally I believe it must be a factory issue because I keep all my cars immaculate. The bottom line is that they will repaint the areas where it is happening. As many of you may know, Lexus and Toyota are very closed and silent about admitting any wide ranging problems and rather elect to settle the matter quietly. While I am satisfied that the problem is being solved, I posted it here so others may be alerted to the paint issue. Since the problem is now documented, if I have further issues with paint, it will have to be dealt with by them. I must say that Lexus was very pleasant to deal with on this issue and is working to keep me a satisfied customer. I also credit my local dealer for seeing to it the matter received the proper attention. While it is discomforting to have something like this happen, it is good to know Lexus stands by their products. The vehicle is terrific in every other way, and I would buy another one in a blink.
    no such problems for me but glad to see you got a satisfactory response.
  • glaslaglasla Member Posts: 1
    I recently noticed exactly the same paint condition in exactly the same place on my 2000 LX470 with 49,700 miles (presumably mileage has no bearing on paint). My closest dealer is 2 hours away so I probably will not see him for another couple of weeks and will by then be over 50,000 miles and out of warranty. Any tips on how to approach this with the dealer?
  • penelope3penelope3 Member Posts: 2
    Where the heck are the 2003's? We put an order in nine weeks ago and still don't have one. The dealer keeps telling us we are first on the list but he hasn't gotten any in to date. What is Japan up to, making it so enticing to own a LX470 by keeping the customer in limbo? Can anyone explain this situation?
  • gbhopper2gbhopper2 Member Posts: 25
    Stevenson Lexus of Colorado got 4 in two week ago. I have 2000 miles on mine already. Traded a 2001 with 50000 on it. The rest are all sold. The 5 speed makes a big difference. You are always at the right spot in the power band. Great improvements in the Mark Lev and Nav. You do not have to go to the screen every time you want to change stations or functions. You can either do it by voice or controls on the steering wheel. The rain sensing wipers really work well. The night vision is great. You can see well passed you headlights and it increases your side vision.The ride seems a little stiffer. I don't know if that might be the 18" wheels or the Dunlops. I don't think anybody else is making a tire this size except Dunlop at this time.
  • penelope3penelope3 Member Posts: 2
    I'm glad you have yours but there has to be something to the dealerships not having more. Our sales person said they are telling people that order now, it will be six months before they should expect new arrivals. He thinks I should feel lucky we ordered before this new arrival time but I have already waited over two months. Do you really think the night vision is a big improvement? I could already have mine if I didn't want night vision but since I have a hard time seeing while I drive in the dark I thought it would be helpful. If anyone else knows anything about this delay please advise. I live in Houston, Texas.
    Works best when it is dark not dusk.It does take some getting used to since you have to learn to include it in your scan. All the ones that came in were loaded and had night vision. The only thing that is not released yet is the DVD for the rear passengers. If you ordered this it could be a problem. I would check with another dealers and get on there lists also. Whichever delivers first get your deposit back from the other if you have made one. It is a great truck and worth waiting for. This is my third. Good luck.
  • gkexecgkexec Member Posts: 6
    Responding to Glasla. I would call your dealer and lodge the complaint. Maybe even fax your complaint to get it in writing. Considering the cost of a new paint job and the cost of this vehicle, don't wait. My LX470 is going in on Monday to be repainted. The regional rep had to look at the car and approve it, and that took a few weeks. I am happy to report thta they didn't even balk at taking care of it, although they would not admit to having seen it before on another vehicle. My LX470 is the medium brown. What color is yours. I am wondering if this problem is specific to a particular color?
    Good luck getting it taken care of. My guess is Lexus will stand behind the car. If you like you can e-mail me at gkexec@aol.com.
  • khuynhkhuynh Member Posts: 28
    The current Toyota Land Cruiser/LX470 can:

1. Go up incline at 45 DEGREES (100% grade!)

2. Go sideway at 45 DEGREES (100% grade)

3. Tread water at 700 mm (27.6 inches!)

The Mercedes G500 can:

1. Go up incline at 38.7 degrees (80% grade)

2. Go sideway at 28.4 degrees (54% grade)

Hummer H1 AND H2 can:

1. Go up incline at 30.9 degrees (60% grade)

2. Go sideway at 21.8 degrees (40% grade)

3. H1: Tread water at 30 inches

H2: Tread water at 20 inches

Pretty impressive for the TLC/LX470!!

Information on the TLC from:

http://motorshow.toyota-europe.com/showroom/land_cruiser_100/kce_2.html

• tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Since you are a previous owner of the LX, do you notice any improvement in the headlights this year? Does that additional 5 HP make any difference like the articles say it does?

Also (for everyone), why do they refuse to integrate the radio antenna into the car like on the others so you don't worry about breaking it off?

Lastly, on the 2003 it looks like there is an option that could be added if you look at the console. Next to the antenna button (to the right), there is a space that looks like something could be added there but it is just an empty space. Have you noticed this?
    The power is much improved. I think the new 5 speed transmission has more to do with it than the 5 HP.

The headlights are the same.

On mine with the Mark Lev and nav there is the emergency flasher button located above the antenna button and the 4 wheel lock button below. There is no space for a switch to the left or right. The only cut out for a switch I can find is below the left rear vent switch.

I am getting better millage with the 03 than the 01.
    Thanks for the feedback. I bet the 5 speed would certainly help.

I gave a bad description on where the space is. Even on the Lev package, it is not next to the antenna like I thought. It is below the tape deck. Starting from the left it has defrost, rear air, rear defrost then a blank one. It is directly under the tune dial. I even attached a link so you could see it.

http://www.lexus.com/showroom/model/gallery/lx_interior_photos.html

No big deal but I always wonder about things like that.

Thanks for the link. After looking I also wonder what the plan is for the missing switch. Maybe digital radio is on the horizon.
    Sat Radio would be great. I would also like to see park assist (my wife, need I say more), air conditioned seats, and a fuel computer.

Maybe I should go work for Lexus!!!
    I would also add individual climate control for the for the driver and passenger.
    The two above posts highlight some relatively inexpensive features that I feel an SUV of this caliber should have. My wish list: HID lights, parking assist, third row "fold-flat" dissapearing seats, satellite radio, individual climate control. If you add those features to this already astonishing vehicle I'd snap one up asap! As it is though, I am still contemplating other SUV's. Do I hold off my purchase until the rumored total overhaul occurs in the next 2-3 years?
  • djohnsodjohnso Member Posts: 4
    I'm trying to decide between the LC and LX470 - I understand they are basically and functionally the same. My questions are whether the air suspension on the LX470 makes any detectable difference in ride quality to most folks, and whether the LX470 is any quieter. Thanks.
    Friend of mine who leases the Land Cruiser just rode in my LX470 and immediately noticed the better ride (smoother), higher grade leather, better stereo and the quieter interior. It's usually about $100-$150 more a month for the LX then a fully loaded TLC and those plus the air suspension, the lowering of the truck to get in and out and Lexus service are the main differences. Reliability is top notch in either one but you will definitely notice a softer ride and quieter interior in the LX. I've also been in his TLC and test drove it as well. By the way I came out of a 97 TLC and either of the new LX and TLC models away the prior editions.

The main thing the TLC has going for it is you can order it with less options and keep the price down. The LX has virtually everything standard.
  • 03white03white Member Posts: 2
    Would anyone know when the LX is due a major body change? I own a 2000 model with 30K miles and will probably drive it another year or so.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    is 2005 model year, which probably means sometime mid-year 2004.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    going to coincide with the introduction of the new bigger V-8 for the truck line - 5.5 liter, if memory serves.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    since you traded in your 2001 with 50K, I'd like to ask...was the vehicle badly worn?...did it have any major mechanical problems?...was there any special reason for trade?...my reason for asking: if one wanted to buy a 1 or 2 year old used LX470, would your vehicle be a good candidate or was the vehicle worthless after 50K?
    I only had the car back to Lexus for the 15,30,and 45 thousand service. All other service was done at Grease Monkey. I never had to do any warranty work on the 470. It was like new at 50. The reason I sold it was that I like to trade before a car runs out of warranty.

Still working on getting the plush ride that the 01 had in the 03. Switched tires today so will report.
    When you report let us know what tires you switched to.

Did you take the DVD entertainment system as an option? If so how is it?
    Switched to Michelin 285-55-18 V. The ride is much better. Not quite as plush as the 01 but close. Have 500 miles on them.

The DVD system for the rear seats is not available yet. I was glad not to have it as an option because I very seldom have back seat passengers
  • charliechezcharliechez Member Posts: 1
    We just had twins, in addition to our two other children. Big family. I would be curious to hear feedback from any LX owner who has more than 3 kids....is it big enough? Can you fit a stroller in the back? Are the kids "reasonably" comfortable in the 3rd row? I am looking to either buy the Sequoia new, the Expedition new, or a 2000 LX 470 used. I am trading in my 99 RX300, unfortunately, to make this move. Thanks.
  • kexicaokexicao Member Posts: 30
    Can you make changes on 03 nav while driving? I know the previous models you can't do that.
  • ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    the nav on the '02 can be altered while in motion. most functions are fully operational, such as enter a point of interest, plan a detour, etc. to the best on my knowledge to only function that is "locked out" is the entry of a destination. the address entry is a slow process, and certainly not something you want to do while in motion. btw- the nav system is definetely one of the better ones out there.

ace
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What's the picture of again, Diploid? LX or GX?

Steve, Host
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    They have it correctly as the LX on the main page. But once you click on the link to read why the Land Cruiser won, there's a picture of the GX470.

Now stop walking ahead of me...it's scary.
    lol, figured you'd show up in here next after your Ask the TH Hosts post ;-)

Steve, Host
    Well I wouldn't have posted. Just merely checked to see what people had to say (I'm more interested in the BMW threads - I can just feel the onslaught of anti-BMW trolls coming in).
    The BMW's were well represented in the list for sure.

Steve, Host
  • 9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    I got a 2001 LX470 instead of a Land Cruiser because I could get one for $10K off of MSRP. Fine. But what about service? The Lexus dealership strongly recommended that the transmission fluid, transfer case oil and front and rear differential fluid be changed at my 15,000 mile service.

I said to go by the book so instead of charging me $460 (or so) they only charged about $85 (plus another $100 for replacing two A/C air filters, which they weren't going to do).

So now my paperwork says "Cust. refused 15K service" which means I refused their service (as opposed to what Toyota says to do).

Question: For non-heavy duty operation, how often should the transmission fluid be changed? The book says to inspect every 15K miles but doesn't seem to ever say to replace.

I like the features on the Lexus but I don't like dealing with the static I get from the service salesmen. Maybe I'll take it to the Toyota dealership that's three miles away for service in the future.

The 2003 LX470 towing capicity is only rated at 5000 lbs. this year but the Land Cruiser is still rated at 6500. Funny.
    You can easily fit a stroller behind the third row and the kids love it back there. If you fold up the seats you can play board games back there. My 12 year old always sits back there unless we are only going for a short ride.

Look into the DVD system if you're kids are old enough.

Steve - they really do have a picture of the GX on that most wanted list. They state the TLC/LX but show the GX.
    grrr, thought that'd get fixed already - guess no one emailed the data people (I assumed someone else would so I didn't, LOL).

Steve, Host
    LOL, well I brought it to the hosts' attention. I thought you guys were going to follow up on that...
  • corine1corine1 Member Posts: 14
    I have a question regarding my new 03 LX470. I just got it yesterday and the ride isn't quite as good as in the past. I didn't even test drive it (mistake) because I thought it would be like the other years. Does anyone know if changing the tires and wheels back to a 16 would be beneficial or can that even be done? Any suggestions would be helpful! thanks
    I also have the 03 and the ride is quite harsh compared to the my 01. The plush ride is gone. I switched tires to Mich 285/55/18 and that helped. It still doesn't ride like like the 01 or 98. I don't know if it is 18" wheels or if they changed the suspension. Let me know if you try the 16" wheels.
    Check your tire pressure. Mine was delivered with 51 pounds in all 5 tires. That really made for a rough ride home.
    What pressure is suppose to be in the tires? I haven't even checked that. I asked my brother and he said the 18" tires shouldn't make any difference. He said the suspension doesn't know what kind of wheels and tires you have. He said to go to a softer tire (which will wear out sooner) but worth the better ride in my opinion. I think I'm getting a little more used to it as the day went on. It wasn't really that bad, but getting out of the beast is another thing! I'm short and it's a long way down....even though it has a running board. I just might try a softer tire and see what happens. Everything else is great!
    Ok, I have another question for you....I know I should have checked this out as well, but do we have to pay monthly for the Nav service? Someone asked me and I started laughing because I didn't have a clue...whatever it is... it's worth it. We were never lost in LA yesterday the whole time we were there. It was awesome!