Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa New Owners Report

13»

Comments

• mimi16mimi16 Member Posts: 1
    At 15,600 miles a knocking noise began under my hood. Just had the oil changed recently. The dealer says it's normal for this car and had me listen to a previously owned vehicle with 27,000 miles on it. It had the same noise, but maybe that's why it's previously owned?? Please reply if you've had this problem. I don't think a car that's not even 1 yr. old should be making this kind of noise. Thanks!
  • maris3maris3 Member Posts: 2
    OK so I had a 2007 Versa and after having those horrible transmission problems and being laughed at when I said that it was the transmission ( I was told "CTV transmissions are the best and NEVER have ANY issues), ten trips to the dealership later and after having it totally die, go into limp mode 3 times and almost being hit turning left when in limp mode I took the car back. The dealership then moved me into a 2008 taking some of the costs but I still had A LOT rolled into the new lease. NOW the 08 with only 40K on it and having it for not even a year and a half is having issues. The ABS light goes on, then the hatch starts to make a sound like it is unlocking and locking itself even though NO buttons are being pushed. It even makes these noises when the car is turned off, and when its been locked and :sick: you are standing away from it. When it does this it also either seals shut or won't close and then the alam goes off. The dealership said it was a latch missalignment and said they fixed it, I didn't beleive them and the next day the same problem was happening again. This lasted for 2 months but has recently seemed to go away on its own for now, BUT then just in the past week, the first night that was -12 the car refused to start the next morning. Again took it in and they said they could find nothing wrong with it. THESE CARS ARE BAD!!!!! When I called Nissan I had NO help their customer service was horrible and my only option is to go to arbitration! Anyone else have this Nissan Nightmare????
  • iwantpauliwantpaul Member Posts: 1
    Bought 2009 Versa. Loved it until about 2 weeks ago when the battery suddenly died. It wouldn't hold a charge. They towed it into the dealership, they said there was some kind of connection part that they replaced, but that the battery was good so they didn't put a new one in. Worked fine for a week, then wouldn't start up one day. Towed it in again, we made them replace the battery, they said it was a bad battery. They said that in that year, the batteries were made before the cars and they sat for a long time, which is why there are so many complaints. Hopefully it's all good now.
  • versabadversabad Member Posts: 1
    I know it's been a while since you wrote this. Mine started 600 miles earlier than yours. The Dealer says they all do that and Nissan has backed them up. Both my service writer and Service manager will not contact me. Never have I been so disappointed in a vehicle, or ever felt so shamed having to drive it. I think Nissan knows they have done a bad thing. I am spreading the word!!
  • judithabrownejudithabrowne Member Posts: 3
    Have you had problems with your hubcaps falling off?
  • campermancamperman Member Posts: 53
    I have a new 2009 Versa, Manual shift, 1.6 sedan. Has anyone any experience towing one of these cars behind an RV? What type of hitch is installed on your Versa and can you advise a rough cost plus installation?
    I have sent a similar message to Curt manufacturing and when I receive a response I'll post it here for others.
    The owners manual states the car can be towed but should be started and run for two minutes after a 500 mile tow.
    Thanks to all.
  • carmenghecarmenghe Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone! I bought my 2010 Versa HB 1.8S last night and as I drove off the dealership's lot and turned left (from the lot), a weird "knocking" noise came from right side under the hood. It sounded like a "popopopop" sound for like 2 seconds when I hit the gas to go straight. I thought it wasn't a big deal because I drove it off the lot with ONLY 25 MILES on it so maybe it needs to be driven more. But then...it happened again this morning right after I backed out from my driveway, turned the steering wheel to go straight and hit the gas- that's when it happened. Has anyone had this problem?? I'm SO concerned because it's a brand new car and i'm already gonna have to visit their service department to get it checked out :( this is absurd!!!

Also, the steering wheel....it makes a squeaky sound when I'm turning it all the way when backing up into a parking spot. It almost feels as if it's too tight that it causes it to squeak. Please help me, maybe someone can tell me what this is all about and maybe it's not serious and will go away as I drive it more!!! I've only had this car for LESS than 24 HOURS and it's already making me go into the service dept and start worrying about the car. Besides, I even think that I didn't get the best deal on it :( but that's another topic. Thank you so in advance, and please let me know if you have an idea of what it could be.
  • riddelrlriddelrl Member Posts: 1
    Hi carmenghe!

I am very curious on how everything has been going on with your Versa. Did you take it back to the service department? I ask, because I too, am having the same problems. Only thing is, I have had these problems since November when I bought my car. Bad news is, these problems don't get better if you drive the car for a longer period of time, they only get worse :lemon: . My car has already been in the shop 5 times. I have wrote so many letters, called so many people, and my only other option is to seek outside sources. I just feel like no one is helping me with my issues. I guess I should have bought that Mazda ;) lol. I hope things have been better with your Versa, I wish you luck!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited June 2010
    Sold my 2007 to my daughter and picked up a 2010 6-speed on Friday. Put about 700 miles on it over the three-day weekend and got just under 36 MPG on the trip with 4 adults in the car. Differences from the 2007 6-speed: ABS, stability control, cruise, and an ipod jack. They've also made the cargo cover an option/accessory, which makes sense since we've had the one for the 2007 in the closet since around October.
    Inside the glove compartment seems larger, and the door of the glove box seems a bit flatter giving even more leg room for the front passenger.

Thanks to my dealer, who we've been buying from since 1979, our out-the-door price was under $15K.

We be happy!
  • managednewsmanagednews Member Posts: 2
    Reported same knocking + vibration when stopped at a light @32K miles. Dealer could not replicate problem or diagnose. Now @ 50K miles (all highway driving) just learned that my engine is fried. Waiting right now to see what Nissan will do for me. Used full synthetic oil but changed @10K intervals because the oil looked good and I was driving highway 110 miles per day for work. Seemed OK. FYI, Nissan says 7,500 mile oil change interval on standard oil OK.

Lesson: Keep your records of oil changes, repairs, etc. You will probably need them to defend your warranty claims.

I bought this car because I needed reliable durable economy. That's the Nissan brand image. Let's see how they do for me the customer. Will report later.
  • rebel71rebel71 Member Posts: 87
    I'm looking to purchase a hatchback within a few months and have looked at many different models such as: Subaru Impreza, Yaris, Honda Fit, Mazda3, Versa, Golf and waiting for the Ford Fiesta. Narrowed it down to the Impreza and Versa. I've read most all the Edmunds posts and NHTSA about the Versa starting with the first model year. I'm disappointed that the quality doesn't seem to exist for this vehicle, too many issues. On paper the Versa is a nice little car, it seems that Nissan has not fixed any of the issues that have been plagued this vehicle since day one. I really like a lot of things about it but on my test drive I noticed the pop/clunk sound that many have reported. I hope there are people out there who have had a positive experience with theirs. I guess I'll keep looking, sigh....
  • cocolocomarycocolocomary Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this resolved? My boyfriend told me I needed to break the Versa in..........well it has been back to the dealers, they replaced a strut. I left with it still making the noise and 2 dings on my front hood. I have the car there today and they are keeping it until they resolve the ping/pingss..........I am entirely disappointed. I had a civic for 11 years and not one problem!!!!!!!!! I am sorry I bought the versa, had I known of this forum before I bought the car , I would not have bought it. Now I need body work done? I have had the car 4 months and have been back to dealers 4 times, not even for an oil change...........I fear my problems are just starting.
    Hi everyone! UPDATE: I took my Versa to the dealership only one day after I purchased it (I posted that here) and luckily they were able to "replicate" that knocking noise coming from my right front tire or under the hood. Their diagnostic: the ABS sensor triggers at 20 mph after starting the car, this makes a "knocking" sound which basically tells you that the ABS Breaking System is working properly. The car makes this sound every time after starting the car, just a second after the doors auto-lock at 20mph. Basically, if you turn off the ignition three times a day and start the car three times, the ABS triggers every time as soon as the car accelerates to 20mph. According to the dealership, this is perfectly normal and I also found it on the Owner's Manual ;) As for the vibration when the car is idle at a light, or going at 5-10mph...it is also the ABS breaking system doing it's job. These breaks are very sensitive but awesome! Also, the squeaking steering wheel: well, the car was brand new...that noise is gone as I've put 2,200K miles in three months and the car is broken in. Oh! and it literally got broken into only six weeks after I purchased it. :( so sad! Other than that, I love my Versa..it rides smoothly and it's giving me good MPG (32 highway). I've also gotten used to the noise which could sound as if a strut is loose or something like that, but it's perfectly normal (so they say). I hope this info helps. :) Take care.
    it's 'braking'...not 'breaking'. oops.
  • campermancamperman Member Posts: 53
    Hello. I purchased a 2009 Versa in Feb.2010. I now have 8,000miles on it and only one complaint which was fixed under warranty. A filter in the exhaust system was bad. It took hours to diagnose and several visits to dealer to have replaced. The problem didn't show up on a diagnostic and was only found with assistance from their mechanics help center. The car gives very good mileage; 36 highway. It has the most comfortable seats of all small cars and I recently drove it 21 hours straight with no problems. I bought it because of the seats and because it can be towed behind a motor home. So far, it's been a very good car for me. I would look at Honda and Toyota but I wouldn't go anywhere near a VW. I sold a Passat several months and it was the worst car I have ever owned, the most unreliable and most expensive to keep repaired. I have been driving almost 50 years and the older VW's were good. Last 10 years are plagued with costly problems. See VW posts.
  • jolyrojrjolyrojr Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I just way overpaid for a 2008 Versa SL. We were trying for months to find a good deal to get out of a lemon malibu that was falling apart after 70k miles. We were way upside down, and trading itis was a not going well.

I love this damn car though. I paid $17.9 after the upside down trade in, but my monthly payments only went up by 6 bucks. Its red, has the wing, front, back, and side lip kits, aftermarket H&K air filter, fog lights, aftermarket exhaust, 18" racing low pros with new tires, and only 5K miles. There are also 3 buttons added under the steering column we cant identify... I guess some kid got it for graduaion, the parents put alot of money into upgrades, then the kid got into trouble with drugs and so they traded it in for a new truck for themselves!

the nissan dealers was sooooooo nice. We have never been treated with that much respect, usually we try to leave, like to work after being there for 5 hours and they wont let us go, this guy reminded us we said we had an apointment and invited us to come back later.

So far, I am blown away. There are so many sweet features my head is spinning a bit. The inteligent key, bluetooth phone, and ratcheting height drivers seat are my 3 favorites though. that muffler makes it sound mean as hell too. I justified the purchase a bit by saying, I wont spend anything to improve it, because its already nice, but Ive already bonded to the car enough I cant help but look for things to do to it.

The only thing I dont like is the speadometer numbers, which go by 20's and 2's, and nearly every streets I drive on has speed limits that end in 5. Its a small price to pay for such a comfortable and fun ride.
  • mxcastromxcastro Member Posts: 1
    I was just wondering if you had any luck with finding out what was wrong with your car. Unfortunately i am having the same problem with my car.
  • klondike_caklondike_ca Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I have exactly the same issue. Bought the car yesterday. heard the noise and then brought it back to the dealer and they said they had no idea. Has the noise that you had diagnosed been developed into anything different?
  • ch300ch300 Member Posts: 2
    2007 nissan versa, 3.5 years old, 55,000km. rusted weld at flange forward of muffler. muffler place told me to bring it to dealer, should be a warranty issue, should never rust at the weld, said was a bad weld. dealer told me over three years, even though under 60K. told me tough luck. thanks nissan canada. i will remember that one. muffler place told me many versas have the exact same corroded weld.
  • nadillanadilla Member Posts: 1
    I JUST started having that problem! around 16k miles, and this just happened. I heard a friend of a friend had this same problem. Looking up other problems, I see this site, and now I'm freaked out... thinking the hubcaps may be the least of my problems. The first was the arm rest material pulling up on my driver side door, which they replaced.
  • twistedmuffintwistedmuffin Member Posts: 27
    Hi,

I also have the knock and vibration sometimes, at idle. It only happens after the car has been driven a while. Sometimes it is not there at all, even after driving a while. I mentioned it to the dealer, and he offered to have me leave it with them for a few days to see if they could replicate it. I said no thanks ( They would just use it to get coffee and donuts, and never have the knocking sound happen, right ???)

The car runs great except for this occasional annoying knock. I worry about it. Will be watching this board !
  • flavifeflavife Member Posts: 20
    Do you have a manual transmission and if yes does the sound go away if you depress the clutch or increase the idle rpm to 1200?

Frank
    2009 Versa S sedan MT-6 with 16600 miles
    Frank,

No, I have the automatic trans. And the knock will almost always disappear if you shut the engine off for a minute and restart it.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I bought a manual shift 2011 Versa about a week and a half ago.
    First impressions: The shift quality is really,really clunky. I'm a little amazed Nissan couldn't make it any better.
    i really wish the driver's seat in my S model could be adjusted lower....This overwhelmingly is my biggest complaint.
    Other than these two issues, I am extremely happy with the car. It has a very serene ride....Not the least bit sporting, but the manual shift makes the car involving enough to be entertaining.
    It's also very quiet. i'm really enjoying it!
    i've never had such an inexpensive car, though, and in the back of my head I find myself wondering how it will age.

But at least for now I am wildly pleased with it. The back seat is enormous... truly!
    I highly,highly recommend it!
    Well my 2007 6-speed has 83,000 miles on it and is going along just great. The shifter certainly has a different feel than other manuals we have had. The biggest change I would make (and my wife and daughters agree) is that 6th gear just doesn't fell like it's geared high enough, it sometimes feels like we'd like to be able to shift into 7th gear. Our 2010 was looking to be just as good until that F-150 totaled it, so right now we're up to about 1500 miles on the 2011 :shades:
  • whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 11
    Versa is a LEMON :lemon: in some cases. The dealership told me that they have 7% defects coming off their assembly plants.

I agree,quality does not seem to be there in the Versa or the Altima for that matter. Nissan has not addressed their CVT transmission and engine problems on the Versa. Gas mileage and vibration are other matters altogether which they are not even looking at.

Enterprise Car Rental had lots of Versas with CVT transmissions. Just last week our contact at Enterprise told us that they had lots of problems with the CVT transmission on the Versa.

So as far as we are concerned Nissan's 7% defects are not being resolved by the dealerships nor by Nissan Corporate.

I believe Nissan Corporate has committed itself to the CVT transmission as this transmission has the mass they want for their electric cars.

Why make electric cars when you can't even service the good old gas engine? :lemon: Shouldn't Nissan Corporate be taking care of its lemons :lemon:
    first?

Dixie

Dixie :lemon:
    I can't speak to the CVT since I've only had 6-speed manuals, but I have almost 100,000 miles combined on three Versas (2007, 2010, 2011) with no real issues to speak of
    I solved my clunk problem (knock on wood). For me, it was the front left hubcap. I took it off and the clunk stopped. I put it back on, and the clunk is still gone, so far. It has been clunk-free for about a whole week now. Knock on wood. I think the plastic hubcap was flexing and making that snapping/clunk sound on right turns. Good luck everyone. :)
    edited March 2011
    Kewl. Sometimes noises are really hard to track down. Checking wheelcovers is a nice, easy-to-do, and inexpensive thing to add to the checklist!

I just tracked down what I thought was a rear suspension issue on my Altima that turned out to be part of the lug wrench having worked its way out of the little bag it's stored in. When I'd start moving, the end of the wrench would bang against the inside of the well where the spare tire is stored.
  • versadriverversadriver Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2009 Versa sedan 1.6 auto (no CVT) and after 47,000 km it is running well with no problems. The gas mileage driving in the city is not as good as expected, hwy mileage is good as long as you keep to the speed limit. Spare parts from Nissan: air filter and snow tire rims were double the cost I expected. I hope it does not break after the warranty.
    Does anyone know how long the Versa should last as long as I drive reasonably and do regular maintenance? How does Nissan compare to Honda or Toyota?
    I'm expecting a good long life out of our Versas. We ALWAYS keep up on the maintenance on our Nissans (10 vehicles since 1979) and have averaged over 180,000 miles per vehicle with no major issues in that time. Our 2007 Versa is up to 89,000 miles. My 2001 Altima is at 206,000, and I sold my last two Sentras at over 230,000 so it's just warming up! :P
  • fiona13fiona13 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Versa 6-speed has 99,935. Work and back tomorrow should roll it over 100,000! I totally agree with pf flyer, the engine sounds as if it really needs a higher gear. Almost all my miles are highway miles so my clutch is "like new". this little car has taken me all over the country, no mechanical problems yet, the only thing this "Lil car that could" lacks is roof rails! :shades:
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Has anyone here bought a new Versa sedan? They look nice. I'm taking my Maxima in for maintenance tomorrow and I'll probably check it out. I have a 15 year old daughter and this car looks interesting.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    I looked at a 2012 Versa SV sedan on Saturday while my Maxima was being serviced. First off, it's a nice looking car. It has a lot of interior room and a large trunk. The ride was relatively smooth and quiet for a car in this price range.

It has NO power. You have to be very careful when pulling onto a busy road or merging into traffic. I live in metro Atlanta and you have to have some get up and go to be able to survive here. I know the 30 MPG in city driving is nice; but, I'd gladly drop to 27 MPG if it meant having a little more acceleration.

This car seems like a great car for my daughter in terms of size and features; but, the lack of power is going to be hard to overcome.
  • 7mary37mary3 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks

I will not buy one now.

You save me a lot.

7% wow that is way to high
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Same sound on my kid's '09 SL hatch and it's annoying. Took it into the dealership at least 5 times when the car was under warranty and they could never duplicate the "tapping" noise from the front right wheel well...very disappointed with Nissan and now that the car is out of warranty, we're stuck!

That and some bad paint inside the gas filler door have left a bad taste.

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Same tapping issue as you have on our '09 SL hatch...they couldn't duplicate the noise after 5 attempts...happens after the car sits for a few hours. Left it overnight twice and still they didn't hear it which is baloney. Out of warranty now so we're stuck. Very unhappy customer and also having a paint problem with gas filler door. Nissan has probably lost us as customers now!

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Thanks!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Can anyone tell me whether the Versa Hatchback S or SL has the USB and/or IPOD port or do you have to order the complete navigation system to get it?
    I have a 2011 and 2012 Vesra S, neither with nav, and both have an ipod jack on the standard radio/cd player
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    thanks pf_flyer. I guess it is the USB port which only comes with the navigation system then.
  • drpauldrpaul Member Posts: 8
    Made the deal of my life this last Monday: $15110 OTD on a new '12 Versa Sedan SV auto w/convenience pkg, mats, splashguards, & autodim mirror. Actual price: $13,910. Exhausting deal, but not dealer's fault...I'm a stickler & had tight parameters to work with. Recommend Jeff Wyler Eastgate to anyone within 2 hrs of Cincinnati. The most professional & honorable dealership I've ever dealt with, & I've seen many. Absolutely no attempted tricks during negotiation or in finance. Ken Bush was my salesman. Paul, Covington, KY
  • medmann48medmann48 Member Posts: 2
    No Power? Compared to what your V6 Maxima? I have a 2012 Versa SV sedan & it seems to have plenty of power for everyday driving. The sedan has a 1.6 Liter engine & only 109 HP but it's 150#LBS lightter than last years sedan & 350#LBS lighter than the hatchback. If you want more power than just get the Hatchback because it has a 1.8 Litre 122 HP engine. I have 2 Nissan Versas, an "09" Hatchback & a "12" sedan & have not had a single problem with either car. We drive these on the highway EVERY day & routine cruise at 70 MPH & if I don't watch I sometimes do 80MPH because the ride is so smooth.
  • medmann48medmann48 Member Posts: 2
    Wow, great deal. We bought a 2012 Versa "SV" sedan at Busam Nissan & got a pretty good deal. The stocker was $16,050 but the dealer knocked $900 off stick, then threw in a $500 rebate + gave is a more than fair $1,600 trade-in for our old 2001 car so final price was $13,000.00 & Busam automatically upgrades all their new car Nissan sales to a 7-Year 100,000 mile powertrain at no extra charge. I would definitely recommend Busam Nissan, that was by far the easiest & fastest new car purchase we have ever made.
  • bobjeepsbobjeeps Member Posts: 1
    That number 7% is B.S.. If I was selling an extended warranty. I would lie to you, to get you to purchase an extended warranty. 7% would mean out of a 100 car parts on the car, 7 would fail. I think their's 6,000 parts so that would be about 857 parts that go bad no way!