Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Tires Wheels and Sensors

Comments

• crvme3crvme3 Member Posts: 140
    This has become a fairly common problem... It would seem to me that Honda has a whole bunch of bad sensors. A trick my neighbor has used more than once is to deflate the tires by 10-15 lbs, with a small object or scredriver push the metal portion of the valve stem in/out 4-5 times and then re-inflate to proper pressure... start vehicle & lite should go out. He has done this 3 times over a 6/month period. Has gone to dealer twice and got standard answer "we dont find anything wrong" (of course lite was not on at the time.) Hope this is of some help. :)
  • my001my001 Member Posts: 17
    It seems to me, CR-V needs a RESET button, which sould solve the issue. It is not a bad sensor but reset issue.
    So when my check engine lite is on or my ABS lite is on & the technician is pulling up codes for O2 sensor & wheel speed sensor I should ask him to reset my PCM & ABS systems... I am not following your reset logic :confuse:
  • flyeagleflyeagle Member Posts: 4
    hi,

I got a new 2007 new cr-v ex. I just drive it 50 miles, then the TPMS indicator is on.

my sales agent tells me that it is because one of tires has low pressure. But I check it, the pressure of all 4 tires are 40 psi.

1. The manual told me that tire pressue should be 30 psi, so what is wrong?
    2. what is the problem of the TPMS light?

Thanks,
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did the owners manual tell you to check the spare too?

I'm not sure about the CR-V but some systems are tied into the spare and that can trigger the light.

Hopefully not all the knowledgeable owners are on the road for the holiday weekend and someone will respond soon. :shades:
    To my knowledge the spare is not part of the TPMS system... refer to post #120... Try this & adjust all tire pressure per owners manual. If lite remains on or comes on again see your Honda dealer. You may have a faulty TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) sensor.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    You are correct. This is a common problem especially during cold weather. One fix is to deflate the tires a few lbs. and then inflate them again to the proper psi.
    You could also ignore the TMPS because if it's working correctly it wont go on unless there is a 10 to 15 lb.loss
    of pressure and by that time you can visually see the problem.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    I have an LX 2005 with the OEM tires (P215/65R16). Road noise is very loud, music must be very loud to be able to hear it.
    Mileage only 13000, and even if tires are in good condition , I want to change them with ANY brand/type that would reduce the high level of road noise.
    Questions:
    1.For those who changed them already- did you noticed significant road noise reduction after replacing the OEM tires with other/better brands?
    2. What makes some tires to be quieter then others?
    3. What brand are you recommending most for CRV 2WD? No off road driving for me
    4. Average price for a set of 4 quiet tires?
    thanks,
    dan
    how big is the difference? Can you at least hear the music at 70mph?
    Mine is an 05LX, has Dunlop OEM, and road noise is very loud.
  • dbhat1dbhat1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem when I drove the car for the first time out of dealer lot.

1. TPMS light indicates that the system itself failed, not necessarily problem with the tire pressure. My dealer said that they needed to recalibrate the sensors and reset TPMS light. That took care of it.

2. After TPMS started monitoring tire pressure, it signalled Low Tire pressure couple of times incorrectly, when pressure looked correct (my dealer suggested 32 PSI, except spare which is set 60 PSI), they found the same sensor failed both the times, they agreed to replace that sensor.

Don't know what is the deal with bad sensors on new cars. Honda, are you buying these in bulk in some corner seconds store or something? Let us hope not!
    Everybody who has experienced the "TPMS" lite coming on. This has become a known problem and there is a high # of defective sensors that have been installed on vehicles. The sensors are "non-servicable components"... There is no "reset" or "re-calibration" or "adjustment" procedures, this is pure dealer bunk. If you are experiencing this concern, insist that your dealer diagnose the system & retrieve the appropriate DTC'S (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) ask that they isolate the faulty sensor or sensors & replace them period.....
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Get some Goodyear Assurance Comfort Treads. Quietens and smooths the ride. Apprx 90 each. 80k warranty. Hope this helps.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I purchased the Goodyear Assurance tires for my '01 MPV last year. Extremely happy with them. Just put a set on my son's '04 CRV - made a world of difference in noise reduction and handling (the OEM's were still on the CRV).
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    I had a set on my Audi A4 and they were comfortable and quiet. They weren't as good as far as handling as the OEM but much better as far as comfort and long tread life. They would be in the running as far as my 2007 CRV for a replacement tire when the time comes.
  • vpepvpep Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at the Michelin Hydroedge for my 2001 CRV-SE and wonder how daryll44's handled in winter conditions (TireRack.com reviews for this tire's snow handling aren't quite as good as the TripleTred but they still look pretty good) and what kind of wear you are getting.
    It doesn't look like an update to this thread was made.
    TIA!
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    I've got the same issues with the junky Bridgestones too. But my priorities are an all season tire with better winter traction and good mileage. Any suggestions?

M
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,051
    Nokian WR

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I'm looking at the Michelin Hydroedge for my 2001 CRV-SE and wonder how daryll44's handled in winter conditions (TireRack.com reviews for this tire's snow handling aren't quite as good as the TripleTred but they still look pretty good) and what kind of wear you are getting."

I had them on my 2003, but I only drove in wet winters, not snowy. The tires are great in wet conditions.
  • 10years10years Member Posts: 48
    Our 05 4WD EX has just shed its very crummy OEM Bridgestones
    for a set of the Big O brand Euro Tours (made by Cooper). The better half hit a piece on metal that destroyed the right rear Bridgestone, YIPPEE!

After 1 day and 80 miles of highway and twisty mountain roads I think I'm happy so far. They are a vast improvment in terms tire noise on the highway and handling, excellent grip and quiet on tight mountain turns.

I thought I'd go with the Yoko TRZ or Goodyear Assurance Triple tred but decided on the Euro Tours based mostly on the cover every thing, including tire replacement, guarantee. The wife seems to get more than her share of flats, sigh... OTD was $500.

I'll try to report back later after some winter driving.

Have Fun.
    Few days ago, while driving 70mph on highway, I drove with the left wheels over a large piece of an exploded truck tire that I couldn’t see it in time due to the traffic.
    Impact was though. After a minute I felt that car is acting like one of its tires blew out. I stopped on the shoulder and checked the underneath of the CRV and its tires, but nothing wrong. I was able to continue driving home, where I did a thoroughly check and still could not find any “visible” signs of the impact. Next day, soon as I was on the highway driving 70mph, the CRV started to act the same way. No vibration, just a loud wobbling sound, like driving with a flat tire. I slow down to 55 mph, continuing driving, and after a minute the wobbling disappeared. I accelerated back to 70-75 mph, and everything was OK, cruising at 75-80 mpg for an hour.
    Yesterday, soon as I was on the highway, I had the same problem at70 mph. Now that I cannot see any visible damage, I am thinking that around 70 mph speed one of the tires had been internally damaged on the impact and is getting into the wobbling resonance/vibration mode. But still…why is this disappearing soon as I slow down, and does not reoccur when driving high speeds again?
    Tires are Kumho, in good condition, drove with them since I’ve purchased the car, same highway, same speed , tire pressure 30, never had a problem. It all started after that impact with the piece of tire.
    I find it pretty odd with all the logicality I’m coming up…
    Please advise if you could.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    PS My CRV is a 2005 , 2WD, 14K miles.
    Take it to the dealer. You may be able to able to file an insurance claim.
    Dan,
    See post #5437 in "CRV maintenance & repair" just a thought??
  • autolover4autolover4 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and sister told me our 05 CRV sounded "loud." I couldn't visually see anything wrong with the tire so I took it to a local tire shop. The guy told me the tire was cupped.......only 23000 miles on it. I was very upset and had it confirmed by another tire shop. I came here to see if there were any postings by other CRV owners about the tires and lo and behold. #1, the oem tires are have a cheap tread wear of 300A. This is a junk tire and Honda is putting it on to lower the cost of the CRV. I am going to the Honda website and will write a letter and reference this sight. I am looking at the GoodYear assurance tires like alot of you.
  • juliajulia Member Posts: 74
    Just had complete inspection and oil change. I was told I need to change the tire now. The readings are about 2/32 to 3/32. How disappointed with only 21760 miles on these Bridgestone OEm tires. Shopping new tires now.Any suggestion?
  • autolover4autolover4 Member Posts: 2
    I was just at the Honda dealer I purchased the tires from and they told me the tires were bad. 3rd confirmation w. only 23000 miles on them. Even though the owners manual said to rotate the tires every 10,000 miles, which I did, they suggested every 6,000 miles. I am very upset because who wants to run around getting tires rotated every 6,000 miles??? I am about to trade it off. If I don't trade it, I am putting Hankook 727s on it. It is a 100,000 mile tire and I can get four 215r65 16s for $325. Alot of people on these sites suggested Michelin Hydroedge or Goodyear triple treads. When I priced these tires, they were approximately 600-700 dollars. Too rich for my blood. Whatever you put on them, make sure you rotate every other oil change.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    When I purchased my 06 CR-V after thee days and (300 miles) and i traded the stock tire in for a set of Goodyear Triple Treads. 20k (8/32 left) later no regrets. Shop around you should be able to find a set in the low $500 installed or($360 before shipping) not counting any coupons or specials. I always rotate every 5000 miles it takes only 15-20 minutes of your time and it is free where you purchase your tires. This is a small amount of your time to get your $$ out of your tires.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/assignHomeVehicle.do?yr=2004&mk=HONDA&vid=00800- - - 5

http://www.tirerack.com/cart/HoldingArea.jsp?ask=no

good luck....
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I am putting Hankook 727s on it. It is a 100,000 mile tire and I can get four 215r65 16s for $325.

You have to decide for your self whether you value better adhesion or longer life.

Long life tires generally have harder compounds, which have lower adhesion rates that softer compounds. Considering that the 4 tires on the ground are the only connecting points between the vehicle and the ground, you would want to have as much adhesion to the road as possible.

Race tires use very soft compounds to get the most traction (function of adhesion). So, by getting 100,000 mile tires you may compromise your safety. Just an FYI.
    Hi, Blueiedgod, mnf, autolover4,

Thank you very much for your post. I rotated my CRV at 7500 miles when I change my oil (I know the manual said 10K mile). And I checked tire pressure regularly. Not sure why the tires are wore so fast.

I checked on the web and also Costco tire center. Costco only have two kind, one is BF Goodrich Long Trail, another one is from Michelin (I think it Michelin X-Radial $99/tire with installation). The tire center people told me Michelin is quiet than BF Goodtch. But I saw some people post noisy on Michelin tires. So I do not know which set will give quiet ride. If you know any of these, please kindly let me know.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Alot of people on these sites suggested Michelin Hydroedge or Goodyear triple treads. When I priced these tires, they were approximately 600-700 dollars."

I paid about $400 for four Hydroedge at Costco, but I think there may have been a promotion going on at the time.
    Always check the comments on tirerack.com to see what people who bought the tire think of it. I buy at discount tire. Free lifetime rotations.
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Try Discount Tire (might be American Tire in your area). Michelin usually has a $40-80 rebate. Total for all should be around 500.00, less the rebates. DT gives you another 25.00 for using their card; and their rebates can be submitted online, also get processed very quickly, I got my checks in about 3 weeks.
    I think I paid a little over $500.00 for 5 tires. Free rotations are another plus - saves you 20-40.00 every time.
  • rsm333rsm333 Member Posts: 29
    My wife put the Michelin Hydroedges on her 05 EX (also from Costco) and they totally changed the handling of the car (for the better). I have the Yokohama Avid H4s on my 07 EXL. They are much better than the stock rubber, but the change was nowhere near as dramatic as the Michelins on my wife’s EX.
  • rio9rio9 Member Posts: 2
    Hello - hoping for some help for a real novice. My mom needs to replace her tires on her 1998 Honda CRV. She says the tires she has now are a 205/70R15.

She is not in the place to buy top if the line - but does not want to be penny-wise and pound foolish. She lives in Maryland and deals with lots of rain and snow. Any makes better than others? Any she should STAY away from?

Thanks so much!
    I have had good experience with Futura tires from PepBoys. The really cheap ones (4 for $99) are probably questionable, but the mid-line tires are made by Cooper and seem to have very good traction and road noise.

I think mine ended up costing me $250 for all 4 installed with lifetime rotation and road hazard warranty after the $50 rebate.
  • rio9rio9 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much - she has had bad experiences with Pep Boys in her area - other tire name/brand suggestions and ashamed to ask - but does she have to replace all 4 at the same time or can she replace just 2?
    I like discount tire. Free lifetime rotation and balancing. Don't buy the hazard insurance, etc.
    Thank you so much - she has had bad experiences with Pep Boys in her area - other tire name/brand suggestions and ashamed to ask - but does she have to replace all 4 at the same time or can she replace just 2?

It depends. If the tire wear is significant (over 5% difference between the new and old tires) she will probably need to replace all 4 to prevent AWD system from binding. Or, put the 2 new tires in the front, and 2 better old tires in the back.
  • tjxtjx Member Posts: 32
    My local Honda Dealers have 2007 CRV's EX-L with either Bridgestone or Continental Tires on, my choice. Which tire would be best and why a choice of two different tires on the same model??

Thanks in advance for any input.
    I got the tires changed at Costco today with Michelin X - Radial. They do not have Hydroedges in store. Since Michelin has $80 off with 4 tires. The total out of door is $387. The only question I have is Honda spec for tire pressure is 26 psi for normal drive. Costco adjust the tire pressure to 26 psi and they do not want to add to 32psi. So the tires look not right. The bottom part where touch the ground is somewhat flat and buggy. The whole tire not looks as round. It looks 26psi not enough or not right for the tires. But the manual said 26psi for normal drive and 35psi if dirve more than 100mph. Does any one know what is right pressure should be.
    The OEM set tire finished before 22K. The firestone people told me (when I changed oil at their sotre), the tire damage so fast because the tire is under inflate. But I was always go with recommended 26psi. Why Hando recomend 26psi (but even dealer always adjust to 32psi when do service with them)? I am really puzzle.
  • gc4autogc4auto Member Posts: 34
    do the 07 CRV EX model come with wheel locks?

TIA
  • stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    I don't believe so. Usually, if you asked the dealer will throw them in
  • needshelp1needshelp1 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I was hoping some of you could help me. I am due for new tires at 40,000k. I read bad reviews on my current tires...Bridgestone, which were the original tires when I bought it. So I want to try a different, better quality tire. Any suggestions??
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Some of them came with BF Goodrich tires as OE, maybe try those?
    So I did some research at tirerack.com and am considering buying Michelin Harmony or Dunlop Grandtrek ST20. However, I see that most of you have suggested Hydroedge or Triple Treds. Does any one have info to help me narrow it down again? Also, I noticed that some of you ordered online...did you have to install it on your own??!
    Don't know what kind of driving you are doing or terrain you take your CRV in... I put a set of Michelin Harmony's on our 2000 Civic, have got just over 10K on them & they have shown to be a good all around tire for us... They are quiet, appear to be wearing like iron, when it rains they seem to have decent water displacement characteristics, I noticed a improvement in handling right away. Overall am happy with them on the Civic at least. I would definately consider them (if they are still availble) when the rubber on our '07 CRV wears out. Hope this was some help to you. :)
    Thank you for your response. Most of the time I'm driving in town and on the freeway, no steep hills or mountains. I live in Sacramento, CA, so we don't have snow just rain. I'm glad to hear the harmony tires are working out for you.
    We too live in California (SoCal-LA area) so seems as though yours & our driving conditions & habits are pretty much the same... Give these Harmony's some consideration as I stated for a middle priced Michelin I am happy with them. Whatever you choose I am sure they will be better than the OEM Bridgestones YUCK!!!
    Yuck is exactly right! Thanks again!
  • gc4autogc4auto Member Posts: 34
    My local Honda Dealers have 2007 CRV's EX-L with either Bridgestone or Continental Tires on, my choice. Which tire would be best and why a choice of two different tires on the same model??

I am also wondering the same thing. Though i already picked up my CRV with Bridgestones, but IMO the conti's look a bit better. Why 2 different tires on 1 model?
  • plim77plim77 Member Posts: 46
    I would get clarification from the dealer. I doubt they just let you chose which tires you want.

I don't think it's as easy as saying the dealership has a Gold colored EX-L, one with one type tire and the other with the other tire. Each car has a stock number. Perhaps some of the stock numbers have Bridgestone and the others have Continental. You'd never be able to switch the tires from one stock number to the other.

Most likely the chosen tire company did have enough of the particular tire, so some of the EX-Ls came off the line with Bridgestones, and some came off with the Continentals.