Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Tires Wheels and Sensors

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    ah, if I had more time, maybe I would have gone for those and saved a little bit of money.

I do need to replace all 4 tires in our family's blue 2004 Accord sedan 4-cyl. Maybe I should look into these for that car if they are the cheapest.

They are not the cheapest. You can get Chinese or Korean made tires for even less, but you may as well up yor life insurance policy.

Yokohamas are US made.
  • srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    Thanks for the info
  • sjmilldrsjmilldr Member Posts: 1
    I hear you. My wife has 60K miles in her 2004 CRV and is on the way to the dealer now to replace the 3rd cracked wheel! There needs to be a recall on this, it's not safe to have welds cracking on wheels!
    I am sure if there are enough people having their wheels crack, NTSB would be involved in the investigation. Has it been reported to NTSB?
  • shaky2shaky2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 CR-V - bought new Nov.08 - within 24 hrs I noticed a slight shimmy in the vehicle. From my six months of investigation ( 5 times to dealer, and 3 independent garages and a Honda Canada field engineer) - I have agreement that there is a shimmy. My dealer wrote on the invoice " shimmy present, normal characteristic for this vehicle". I have filed a CAMVAP complaint to hold Honda accountable. Soon after Honda Canada called wanting to look at it??

The field engineer says he feels it and it is probably coming from the rear end. We'll see!

AND he also said that the OEM tires - Dueler HT, and all tires today are made of a rayon based material and therefore when the vehicle sits overnight there will be flat spots on the tires that take 10-15 mins of driving to alleviate. I have noticed this with the Dueler tires but not on the Michelin's on my 2nd vehicle!! I think this is the case for the Bridgestone's but all other tires - - I doubt it.

Any one else had this problem?
    Bump up the tire pressure to minimize flat spotting. Although, flat spotting should not be happening from overnight stay.

If you have anywhere over 15,000 miles on the stock tires, they are probably worn out. Check the thread depth.
  • arizgeorge1arizgeorge1 Member Posts: 19
    I had a similar shimmy problem on my 2008 CRV right after I bought it. The dealer finally switched out the original Bridgestone tires for Continentals and it seem to solve the problem. However, tire balancing is still very critical in preventing future shimmy problems. Ariz. George
  • pt95148pt95148 Member Posts: 17
    I just replaced the original BF Goodrich Touring Traction T/A on my wife's 02 CRV at 92,000 miles! I keep the psi at 36 for town driving and 42 for high speed.
    I just find the recommended 26psi somewhat low, the tires always look like under-inflated.
    What is the common practice of CRV owners in this respect?
    Cheers

ps: the replacement tires are BF Goodrich Touring Premier T/A, rated at 70k miles, just over $400 at Costco. I chose to stick with BF Goodrich instead of Michelin, with the $70 off offer, since I hear about noise level with the Michelin.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Which one to go with when car manufacturer suggests 28psi and tire manufacturer suggests 35psi? Rule of thumb is the car mftr one but I would try both setting by checking the confort, noise level, handling and braking. The more inflated tire usually has less braking effectiveness.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Tire manufacturers don't suggest tire pressures.. They may list a maximum tire pressure, but each car manufacturer specifies the proper pressure for their cars..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My question was to find out what owners keep their tires inflated at, not that there is a difference between tire and car mfg, ie: do you keep it at the car mfr recommendation or do you have your own practice, like I did?

I understand that the more pressure, the less contact but I guess that's how some owners had their OEM tires worn out at 25k miles, because lower pressure means more contacts, more contacts means more wear.
    I also think that car mfrs would suggest a lower range psi for comfort over tire wear.
    Car manufacturers have to balance comfort and safety... (sometimes they screw up).

Personally (and this is not an expert recommendation), I almost always like my tires inflated just a little more than recommendations. I find it improves the handling, with minimal ride comfort issues, and none of the loss of control issues that you get with hyper-inflation.

Also... extreme under- or over-inflation can wear a tire out prematurely... just in different places.

My old CR-V was listed at 29 psi by Honda... I regularly ran 32 psi and that was perfect for me....

But, don't ever run lower psi than recommended.. An under-inflated tire can build up heat very quickly...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I totally agree with you on that. I find that the psi I used on my wife's 02 CRV was fine for ride comfort and handling. The tire wear was very even on all tires, I don't see any symptoms associated with under or over inflated tires.

Just an observation on the 29psi on older CRV, that to me doesn't make sense since we know all that cars grow bigger, wider and heavier with newer models. An 02 model just has to be heavier and yet the psi recommended by Honda is 26psi !
    I don't think you can compare inflation pressures by weight.. Tire size and load capacity play a bigger role. The last generation CR-V rode on smaller tires.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• edelyssaedelyssa Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to purchase new tires for my 2007 CRV. Any recommendation of which brand should I purchase. My car has 32K right now.
    edel
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Yokohama Parada Spec-X (Street/Sport Truck All-Season)
    Size: 225/65R17
    Tirerack.com Price $107
  • cinglemomcinglemom Member Posts: 49
    I made my purchase from tirerack.com. The tires I purchase are called: 225/65R-17 KUMHO ROAD VENTURE APT KL51. These tires are great. No skidding on dry pavement/minimal skidding on wet pavement/ very quiet. I have yet to drive them in snow/ice. But they are MUCH MUCH better than the OEM tires (Duelers).
  • srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    When I had the four Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 225/65R17 mounted on dad's CR-V on June 2, 2009, the CR-V was at 57,653 miles. The CR-V is now at 71651 miles and earlier today we took advantage of the lifetime rotation and balance from walmart. Tires are still running good, just wish I got the rotation and balance done sooner than the almost 13,500 miles in between.
  • bc_crvbc_crv Member Posts: 9
    Costco just started carrying this brand this week. They sell for $146.99 each, with the lifetime balance, rotation, flat repair, and warranty. I'm going to pick them up right now! I will then sell the OEM Continental 4x4 Contacts for anything I can get.
  • kbdc8297kbdc8297 Member Posts: 6
    i went from the orginal size tire(205/70r15) to 2 sizes bigger(225/75r15) and i know my speedometer is off ,so how can i change to display correctly?
  • johnnymurphjohnnymurph Member Posts: 35
    Cannot be done. Not only will your distance travelled be incorrect, but, of course, your speed as well. You will have to follow someone at a pre-determined speed whose vehicle has not been altered. A route with mile markers will determine how much your actual mileage has changed. I never have determined how much my speedometer has varied on my 4runner, but distance travelled has decreased by at least 2%
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    While I haven't had it done, other people have said dealers can adjust them, although not all will. Otherwise, a GPS unit will tell you true speed and distance traveled.
    i went from the orginal size tire(205/70r15) to 2 sizes bigger(225/75r15) and i know my speedometer is off ,so how can i change to display correctly?

To maintain the correct speedometer/odometer reading you should have went with 225/60-15 size tires.

As far as I know, there are no provisions to adjust the speedometer/odometer in the CR-V.

Take a reading with GPS and mark appropriately on the cluster to avoid tickets. You may have disclose inaccurate mileage when it comes to selling the car, otherwise you may find your self facing a judge.
  • sailorboy1sailorboy1 Member Posts: 10
    Just replaced the Duelers on our 2007 CRV :lemon: @ 35k. The tech at Costco tire center indicated that 30 - 35 k is typical for most OEM tires. That was also true for my pickup. I wasn't traumatized by the original tires so I went w/ Bridgeston Dueler Alenzas this time. Intended to get Michelins but these were on sale and have a 65k mileage warranty.
  • williamyoungwilliamyoung Member Posts: 21
    I think not but here is why I am asking.

After putting my snow tires on new rims with no sensors (replacing originals with sensors ) it took quite a few miles or days for the TPMS light to come on. So I ordered sensors from a local tire shop and they came in today and they installed them this afternoon . They removed the wheels from the vehicle but didn't even have to remove the tires off the rims or re-balance. They just let the air out and opened the tire by the valve to replace them. When done I asked how they go about matching the sensors to the computer and they said they match automatically sometimes. TPMS light is out and VSA switch works for on or off.

They said if the TPMS light does come on after some driving they will look after it then but said they will need me to bring in my operators manual because they are all different to set.
    I explained that I do not believe it gives that information in the owners manual or at least I could not find it .

What say ye all ? ?
    Does the manual give instructions or is there somewhere on line to find it ?
    Does it have to be done by some equipment that only a Honda dealership has if they don't have the right equipment ? ?

I may be wrong but I think it is reading the settings from the previous original tires and will eventually kick out of that mode and put the TPMS light back on.

2007 CR-V AWD
  • isles1isles1 Member Posts: 119
    Took delivery and a few days and 100 miles later, the "TPMS" light (not low pressure) came on and stayed on. I checked tire pressure and all tires were inflated to 45 lbs straight from the dealer! I read at least one other thread about this sort off thing happening through poor car prep at the dealership.

Deflated all tires to ~30lbs cold. Car has been driven for several days now and 150 miles and the light did not go off.

Is there anyway to reset the system without going to the dealer? Thanks.
  • rikrikardorikrikardo Member Posts: 23
    Did you also check the spare tire? If you did and it was also OK, then it is most likely a bad sensor on one of the wheels and less likely some electronics further upstream. As this is a irritation and not a safety issue, you may want to wait until it is time for changing the breakin oil.
    I will definately check the spare. Thanks.

I thought if the "TPMS" light is on steady that other safety systems (traction control?) will not function? This is what concerns me, not the dash light. If I am wrong, please let me know so I do not waste an early morning at the dealer.
    Spare is okay @ 60lb.
  • amcamry08amcamry08 Member Posts: 5
    Well, I came down to these three options for my 2008 2WD CR-V LX (only 20K miles and tires are 2/32). These tires will be for a humid warm/hot south TX.

1) Bridgestone Dueler Alenza for $720 (Discount Tire)
    2) BFGoodrich LongTrail T/A Tour for $630 (Sam's)
    3) Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring for $700 (Sam's)

These include installation, road hazard warranty...etc. This is my wife and kids car so safety, comfort, and longevity are top on the list. Your help/advice/experience would be really appreciated. Any experience with mpg?
  • varusunvarusun Member Posts: 11
    I got Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring few months back and they are excellent tires. The road noise is reduced significantly and ride is better and smooth. The mpg I am getting is about 26 for mix city and highway around 60~40.
    Took to dealer last weekend and they reset the system. All has been okay since. Dealer tried to chalk it up to the use of an assessory 12V outlet (he said he has seen it before???). Then I advised of the improper prep of the car (tires overinflated by 15lb). Tech then said the (!) would have gone on if overinflated, which I believe is not correct...(!) is only for underinflation.
  • jt144jt144 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing. I took delivery and didn't make it home (19 miles) when the TPMS light came on. Checked the tires and they were 43 psi. Wrote the salesman an email he had the service manager call me. I lowered the pressure to 30 psi and the light stayed on had to go back to the dealer to have them correct the problem. I was told the reason for the high pressure which is usually 60 psi is so that the cars do not bounce on the trailer trucks when they are delivered. When I looked at the prep sheets you can see that someone just went through the pages putting check marks on each item.
  • locobilllocobill Member Posts: 2
    I want to replace the tires on my 2010 CRV. I want tires that are quieter than what came on it originally. Any suggestions?
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    What brand came on the CR-V? FWIW I have found that Michelin has given me the quietest ride and the best mileage. They are not cheap but they have always worked out well for me.
  • locobilllocobill Member Posts: 2
    Continental Contact 4x4
  • phenkephenke Member Posts: 1
    I was told that if just 1 tire needs replacement, and it is an AWD CRV, that you need to replace ALL 4 tires, if the tire depth is over 1/2 gone ( 13/32 new.. 6/32 used )... REALLY ? thanks
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Let's put it like this: If I were a tire dealer, I'd want to do 4, because if the drivetrain gets screwed up, I wouldn't want to be responsible for it.

Now if YOU are willing to take the risk, then just take the tire and wheel off the vehicle and I'm sure any tire shop would be happy to sell you a tire - but then YOU would be responsible if something bad happens.
  • wasfanwasfan Member Posts: 15
    Well, this has been an ongoing battle with Honda service departments over the years. Both CRV's on the door say 26, as does the Accord. All of them take tires that are max psi at 44. Why and how is a tire that is literally half-inflated safe? When we got tires replaced, at a Les Schwab, they recommended 34. At a Discount Tire, it depended who you talked to but the last guy, a manager, said 36. I've had one Honda service manager tell me 26 is too low. But only one. The rest just follow the door information.

We don't run any of these tires at 26psi. The handling, braking, everything is just awful. The cars don't even go downhill well! We run 32 to 34 psi and find that range provides the best handling. We don't deflate tires for comfort and I'm suspicious that that is what Honda has done.

For what it's worth. I have to make sure everytime the service department doesn't deflate the tires. Most of them think I'm crazy but hey, over the last six years, I haven't had a Les Schwab to run by and get them re-inflated. One place we took the cars to, no matter what you told them, they let air out of the tires. It was automatic to run by Schwab to get them back up to where they handled worth a darn. You might think a tire company who puts thousands of tires on these cars might know a thing or two?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2012
    Tires are stamped with the maximum allowable pressure. That has nothing to do with the requirements of the vehicle you put them on.

The auto manufacturer has lots of engineers and they talk to the tire engineers. The psi number on the placard on the door pillar isn't pulled out of thin air. Everything is a compromise but ignoring the number on the placard generally means you aren't getting the performance out of the vehicle that you paid for. (TireRack).
    I didn't like my CR-Vs at 26 psi, either... no argument from me about that..

But, as Steve noted.... the max PSI has nothing to do with what psi you should be running..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

First, I hope you realize you were replying to a 3 year old post.

Second, just as steve said, this has been carefully considered by the vehicle engineers. It's not something just pulled out of the air, so characterizing it as unsafe is just plain wrong. Don't believe me? Calculate the load carrying capacity of the tire. It's way over the vehicle capacity (GAWR).

If you don't like the feel, that's a whole different issue. I prefer a crisper feel, but that's just me. Some folks prefer a soft ride, but that's them.
  • wasfanwasfan Member Posts: 15
    First, I said:
    " All of them take tires that are max psi at 44."
    So I know that it's the max psi and you don't run a tire at that and that load will affect what psi you run at because I've hauled horse trailers with a truck and dealt with tongue weight and all that. So please, I DO GET what max psi is.

I also said:
    "We don't run any of these tires at 26psi. The handling, braking, everything is just awful. The cars don't even go downhill well! We run 32 to 34 psi and find that range provides the best handling."

If the engineers are so good at what they do, and if they are not calling for 26psi on a 44psi tire just to make the ride softer, then why the above? We have had one CRV for nine years, another for six, and the Accord for five. Every single time the psi is run down to 26, they become slugs on the road, cornering is not safe, IMHO, and braking is better too, at a higher psi, believe it or not.

But, if you believe the 26psi is not intended to make the car ride softer, because, let's face it, ride has never been the up side of a CRV, then I'd like to know what running a tire at half psi does to the stability of the sidewall, in a car where I'd think that would be a crucial issue. They all handle like an SUV, they are never going to be like a Civic or the Accord and we drive accordingly. But of the three drivers in the household, everyone has the same issue with the low psi.
    Yes, I know this is a three-year old thread. But if I'd trying to start a new thread on it, it would have been removed and I'd have been sent here anyway.

Please, if anyone knows, why/can/should you run a tire at literally half the max psi?

Why would people with years of experience across the spectrum of cars and servicing tires recommend 32-36?

I really do want to know because I like to learn and don't assume maufacturers always do what's best.

Thanks.
  • g40txg40tx Member Posts: 4
    Just need some advice to all. I owned the 2012 CRV LX, and would like to upgrade to 17 inch wheel offered on Honda accessories. Can I upgrade to the 17 inch without affecting the odometer accurate reading?
    Thanks in advance.
  • misty13misty13 Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2013
    I bought a new 2013 CRV in the fall. When my husband put snow tires on himself a month later, the alert sign came on for low tire pressure.These were snowtires we bought from the dealer during the car purchase, and they were through Tirerack.
    I took it into the dealer we bought it from, wasted an hour and a half and they were unable to fix the problem. Seemed clueless. I took it to another dealer, and they fixed the problem but I had to pay for it. NOw, my husband has put the regular tires back on ( that came with the car) and a week later, the TPMS light is on..Tire pressure is okay. I called the GOOD dealer to make an appointment and was told this appointment would not be covered under warranty because it came from my husband changing the tires.
    DOES THIS MAKE SENSE? Do I have to pay $100 twice a year to get the sensor light fixed? ( Although maybe it was fifty something dollars.. I think they ended up lowering the initial quote )
    There is a procedure to program the computer in your vehicle to sense the tire pressure sensor in the wheel. This needs to be done every time your change tires.

You can do this yourself (if you have the right tools) or you can have the dealer do this. If you take it to the dealer, it is NOT covered by warranty because the vehicle was delivered to you fully functional and the change to make it non-functional was neither caused by the dealer nor by the vehicle manufacturer.
    OKay..One other question. The TPMS light did not come on for a full week after the tires were changed. Does this make sense?
    Now I am wondering where to look for instructions to program it. And do you know what tools would be needed? Maybe my husband can do it..
    Capriracer,

I have been studying youtube videos about TPMS reset. Is there just one tool that is needed, in addition to the laptop computer? I found the ATEQ Quickset TPMS reset tool and the Wheelrite Tech 400.. Neither was specific to the 2013 CRV, but maybe they would work. Then I found some other tools on amazon with different brand names.
    Am I on the right track? Is there one that you recommend?
    Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. ( My husband was going about this insisting that it must be covered by warranty).
    Your owners manual should have instructions about how to reprogram the TPMS system.
  • mac134mac134 Member Posts: 9
    My 2012 EX-L has the Continental Cross Contact tires I think. The car has always been noisy out on the road and now at 11000 miles it seems to be getting worse. Am I the only one to have noise problems with the Conti's?
    I'm looking at Michelin Defenders now. Has anyone done this swap?