Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Tires Wheels and Sensors

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    That isn't too bad of a price for a 17" tire.. I've noticed that tire prices overall have really climbed in the last year..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Isn't that the stinking truth! :surprise:

Guess it all ties into the price of crude in the end, but damn!
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Bummer that you ruined a tire so soon but it happens. A month or so after I bought a new set of tires, I had to have one repaired. Seems to happen to me a lot which is why I always buy the road hazard policy. It's the only extened warranty type product I ever buy. It's been well worth it for me.
  • kay_jaykay_jay Member Posts: 33
    Replaced with new tire for $120 incl labor. The GM was kinda cool and helped for this good deal. Initially the parts guy told it would cost me $134.00 plus labor. But I asked him to talk to the GM and he gave it for $104.00 plus $16.00 labor. Eventhough a better deal - unneccessary expenses.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Came to my dealer from whom I bought the car, He also told they are not responsible for anything to do with tires and I need to change a brand new tire at his discounted price of $125.00. Since it is brand new vehicle with brand new tire, should I still need to pay for the new tire or do you guys have any advise on this? If need to change a new tire, which would be a best place to buy?

Drive on the spare and buy a new tire of the same size. Then rotate all 5 tires when it is time to do tire rotations instead of just 4 tire rotations.

Bridgestone dealer would prorate the OEM tires if you buy new ones from them.
    It is illegal, under Federal law, to take back tires already mounted and driven, and re-sell them as new.

Anything a tire manufacturer might do in that regard would be purely a "customer service" adjustment.:)

And I don't think it is "fair" to blame others for mere accidents. No matter how well-made, all tires will fail from road hazards, if the impact is "just so". Why not blame the road department for not keeping the highway "clean" and demand they pay for it? :P
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    I am reposting since I had to edit some bad wording:

Bridgestone dealer would prorate the OEM tires if you buy new ones from them.
    Ya think? One of the things I tried before replacing was calling the # in the warranty booklet to see if they would
    do something about OEM tires crapping out before 30K. I had BF Traction T/As.
    Not sure who owns who among the big tire manufacturers, so Bridgestone might or might not have anything to do with BF (Bridgestone/Firestone?), but they apparently don't warranty the OEM tires for wear. The rep on the phone couldn't care less. Even after I mentioned that the same tire sold as replacement is warranted up to 70K, he was pretty much "so what, too bad for you...".
    Since we're talking almost new tires here, our fellow edmundian might have some luck, but
    will definitely take a hit. I got $40.00 (about half) for the virgin spare.
    No argument on the issue of a punctured tire - it's not a warranty issue, rather bad luck. We were just commenting what might be some options to save money in an unfortunate situation.
    Michelin, BF Goodrich, Uniroyal, Goodyear, Kelly, Dunlop, Bridgestone-Firestone, Dayton, Continental, General Tire, Cooper, Yokohama, Toyo, Sumitomo, Pirelli, Hankook, Kumho.

Those are the major players. Japanese Bridgestone bought Firestone many years ago, and continues to manufacture under both names.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Here's the Honda Service News article I was referring to, that talks about the tire valves on the 07 CR-V's. It's on page three.
    Its just crazy that they don't sell just the stems..... :sick:
  • ken114ken114 Member Posts: 4
    This really goes back to the original question of the thread, and I haven't seen this question addressed: Does it matter whether I get a passenger all season tire or an SUV/light truck tire? The oem's are classified as SUV/Light Truck tires on tirerack.com. The best all-season SUV/LT tire seems to be the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (not to be confused with the oem Bridgestone Duelers which are rated really low).

tirerack survey link
    Michelin, Geolanders or Nokia would be about the best, not Bridgestone, IMO.
    Does the 2004 model still have 205/70-15?

If so, all tires in that size are passenger car tires, no matter what the marketing name on the tire happens to be.

I can't remember what year they went to 16" tires... if your model has 16", then disregard previous statement.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, 205/70-15. The first set of tires lasted 33K.

I bought Four Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads today. Total cost out the door was $502, but I get an $80 cash card rebate.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    I put a set on my 06 CRV just after purchasing it new and after 8k no complaints much quieter than the stock tires that were on it...
    I'm considering those... $500 is a lot for tires for a CR-V, though.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'm considering those... $500 is a lot for tires for a CR-V, though..

It is indeed a lot of money for tires, IMHO. I got Futura tires from PepBoys. Futura brand is made by Cooper tire under private label for PepBoys. They were $250 with a $50 rebate (I think, I don't remember now) for Futura Touring.

Futura Touring tires were rated next best after Michelin Touring tires by Consumer reports.

I also, upsized to a wider tire to get better traction in the sand.

So far, I had them in the dry, rain and snow, and I am very happy.
    $500 for tires....

At 15,000 miles per year....

Considering 45,000 miles of usable wear....

Equals what per mile?

Equals what per Month?

:P
    $500 vs. $320 = $180...

$180 = $180... No need to figure out cost per mile.. :)

(have you seen my kid's Xmas list?)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Reminds me of a story about Johnny and his new bike. It was there, under the tree, Christmas morning. He exclaimed to his parents "I didn't know I wanted a new bike!"

"But I do, I do! " :P

My point was, tires are among the cheapest necessary safety componets on any car....
    Help me out I cant find them (Futura tires by Cooper tire) on consumers Reports web site am I not looking in the right spot ?. Also what was the tread life on both as I need to put new set om my daughters car in the spring.

Thanks MNF
    $500-$80 (cash card) = $420 for an 80K mile tire rated as a best buy. Plus, lifetime rotations and spin balances. Plus winter's coming and they've got great traction.

I could've found something for a bit cheaper I'm sure, but I kind of like the idea of my family riding around in really safe tires.

link assurance triple treds
    I with you on this thats what i put on my 06 CR-V in July three days after buying it. I took it to a tire dealer he gave me $150.00 for my stock tires - $ 50.00 rebate plus a $25.00 rebate from the dealer. I was curious for the savings what tire and how long it was rated for this making a savings or not on the example that was shown. Again you pay for what you get and with tires i am with you dont cut corners :D And after a few miles on them no complaints :)
    Exactly.

As my Old Man used to tell us, "Tires and batteries are nothing to screw around with, and if you do, you usually end up screwed." :P
    Help me out I cant find them (Futura tires by Cooper tire) on consumers Reports web site am I not looking in the right spot ?. Also what was the tread life on both as I need to put new set om my daughters car in the spring.

Epinions review

I don't have the link to CR, but it was there couple of years ago. Also, Motor Trend compared those tires few years back. The cheapest Futura's are made by Cornell and were not really good (4 for $99) but the higher up versions of Futura, including Touring HT are made by Cooper.

I agree with others that tires are the single most important piece of equipment that connects the vehicle with the road surface. As much as I would have liked to believe that paying more is better, as I have learned over the years, it is not always true.

The reason Futura's at PepBoys are significantly cheaper than comparable "Brand" tires is that Cooper and pepbopys themselves don't have to pay for the flashy TV spots, sponsorships, and internet advertizements. The cost savings are rolled into the price.

If you look at any private label product, it is often made by the same brand name manufacturer, but is sold for less because of the lowered marketing and R&D costs (it is already developed). A lot of Kirkland products at Costco are made by the same brand name manufacturers but are significantly cheaper. If you ever bought anything under Kirkland brand, you would notice the quality of product. It is not the same as "Sam's choice" at Sam's club. Walmat uses the "lowest bidder" process there.

The information I obtained on the futura brand was enough to sway me to try them out. Like they say in marketing: "Making one sale is kids play, make these people come back for repeat sale is work" So far, I am impressed with Futuras. I have only put a few thousand miles on them, but it was in summer heat, autumn downpours, and 2 feet of snow. The snow performance actually exceeded my expectations (customer delight)
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    I managed to get 40,000+ out of the Bridgestone junk. I was down to 4/32 and the ride was terrible. I purchased 4 Yokohoma TRZ's @ 87.00 out the door this price includes a good store warranty.
    I can only say The CRV's road performance is much improved. Smooth ride, minimal noise, tracks straight, no vibration in steering wheel. Its like I am driving a different vehicle. Had it over 80 for a few miles took hands off of the wheel for around 20 secs or so and the.CRV tracks straight as an arrow.
    Checking the CRV boards was one of the reasons why I bought Yokohoma. I know tirerack recommends Yokohama but you guys were more convincing. Also, I can tell you for sure, I will never buy Bridgestone again and am sort of miffed at Honda for putting those tires on a new vehicle.
    Dave, that is not indicative of how Walmart/Sam's Club purchases tires.

Visit the website, and actually see what they are selling. ;)
  • hondagal3hondagal3 Member Posts: 8
    Am considering a 2007 CRV EX-L AWD 4WD. The "real time" and special valves & tire source being a challenge is really making me consider going back to another Accord!!!
    What if I have a flat some where? Can someone (not me!) change the spare like they normally would so I could get back on the road? Jeepers, I need help! Are the original tires as bad as it sounds and my Honda mechanic hinted at the other day?
  • tbaumtbaum Member Posts: 6
    I just recently purchased a 2007 CRV EX 2WD a couple of weeks ago and after looking in the manual there is just the normal directions to change a tire that you would expect. No mention of having to deal with the Real Time 4WD (I know mine is a 2WD but it is the same manual) in any way or having to worry about special valves (do you mean valve stems? If so, I don't know if that could be a problem, but it would seem odd to me if it was). The tires are 225/65 17, which is carried by most tire shops.
    Am considering a 2007 CRV EX-L AWD 4WD. The "real time" and special valves & tire source being a challenge is really making me consider going back to another Accord!!!
    What if I have a flat some where? Can someone (not me!) change the spare like they normally would so I could get back on the road? Jeepers, I need help! Are the original tires as bad as it sounds and my Honda mechanic hinted at the other day?

I think TPMS (Tire Pressue Monitoring System) is required on EVERY CAR now, because American's can't be bothered to check the air pressure at least once a week, and visually check the tires before every trip. So, Congress, for the lack of ability to solve serious issues, mandated that every car has to have TPMS, and VSA.

As far a "real time AWD" goes. All tires have to have the same circumference. I rotate all 5 tires to make sure that all 5 were worn equally. Sometime, down the road, at let's say 40,000 miles on a 60,000 mile tire, you will find your self with a flat. And the worst will be the fact that the spare tire is bigger than the other 3 and will bind up the AWD system. Which will lead to overheating and posssible damage. And then, you will have to replace all 4 tires in order to keep AWD from activating when not needed (it based on rotational speed differetial)
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Perhaps worrying about the circumference of the spare is overly cautious. There are a number of AWD vehicles manufactured that have the high pressure donut for a spare. This must be able to be used for at least 50 miles. I am glad I have a full sized spare, but the fact remains the donut is standard on a number of SUVs.
    Agreed. You'd have to have quite a difference in circumference to have the problems blueeyes suggests. I suppose if you have an unused spare and rotate it in after 60k miles you MIGHT have a problem. Most people get new tires before that anyway.

This is just another example of why someone should include the spare in the tire rotation. After all, you paid for five full size tires, you might as well use them.
    Most donut spares for AWD vehicles have the same overall diameter as the standard tire... They are just skinnier in profile..

Not like the donut spares on a regular car... where the vehicle tilts down toward the donut wheel..

Not sure if this is the case with the new CR-V (but, I'm betting it is)..

50-100 miles with a tire that was an inch or more smaller would be a lot of stress on the AWD system, I would think..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rgritterrgritter Member Posts: 2
    Sorry I just started looking at this site.
    I have a 2002 EX. Replaced the OEM tires at about 50K with Goodyear Tripletreads. I have lost a good percentage of my hearing because of the road noise they generate.

I wonder if you chose the Tripletreads and are having the same issue. I am currently at 97K and am looking for another set. I will not use the same tires again.
  • rgritterrgritter Member Posts: 2
    Anyone had any luck with replacement tires on the 2002 CRV.

I replaced the OEM tires at about 50000 with Goodyear Tripletreads. Great tire, but will cause deafness because of road noise.

I now have 97000, still have tread, but the noise is getting unbearable. They are also at the point where they hydroplane quite easily.

Any suggestions on quieter tires that also wear and work well?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Any suggestions on quieter tires that also wear and work well?"

I put Michelin Hydroedge on my 2003, but I subsequently sold it. They perform well and have decent (lack of) sound, but I can't speak to their longevity.
    I also put Michelin Hydroedge 3 months ago. Not a very quiet tire, but for me safety is more of a priority, so I'm willing to live with some noise. Wear? Can't tell for the CR-V, but the same tires on my Mistu Galant have about 45% left after 70K (mostly) highway miles.
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    I recently installed 4 Yokohama tires on my 02 CRV EX. The noise is minimal barely discernable. They are the TRZ's just slighly more expensive than the Avids that Tire Rack recommends. Compared to the Bridgestone's its like bieng in a soundproof chamber.
    Goodyear makes a ComforTread. Same technology as the TripleTreads but less aggressive.
  • jandrjandr Member Posts: 4
    The Dunlop GrandTeks seem to hydroplane easily and are not cutting it on the ice and snow. Anyone have a favorite all-season replacement tire for a 2005 CRV with RT4WD? Or maybe a snow tire? Thanks for any suggestions.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Ditto the comfort treads. Very smooth quiet tire with 80k warranty. They may cost 1-2 mpg but were worth it to me.
    I purchased a set of triple treads two days after buying my 06 CR-V in July and enjoy the ride and they are much quieter than stock. I then purchased a set of Michelin X-ice for winter as I live in a snow area and go skiing every weekend. They are a very good snow and ice tire.

Good Luck

MNF
    Woo hoo. Someone agrees with me ;) .

I've always liked Goodyear shoes. I replaced the stock Michelins on my old Accord with Goodyear Eagle GTs and it made it a different vehicle. Too bad they discontinued that line.
  • hicrvguyhicrvguy Member Posts: 11
    I bought my 2005 EX auto used at a dealer. I was surprised to see how quiet the tires were. When I checked them the nubbies were still on and it said Goodyear Regattas? Or something like that. I googled them and reports were so/so. I guess they are quiet but are they appropriate for the CRV?
    New rubber...

'02 CR-V EX AWD
    205/70-15

Nokian WR.. H-rated 4-season tires

$118/each.. inclusive of mounting/balancing, etc.. only addition to that was sales tax..

Only one dealer in area.. had to drive 30 miles to get them..

What really ticks me off? They are H-rated.. the guy said they will go 130 MPH, with no problems... but, I still can't do over 110!! ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

What a shame!
  • jcoryjcory Member Posts: 17
    Hey guys -

As my wife and I have been shopping for a new CR-V, we've noticed that two different types of tires come on these, and we've not been able to find a pattern related to trim line; Continental 4X4 Contact and Bridgestone Dueler H/T 470. Does anyone have an opinion about which of these are better? Does anyone know why some have the Continentals and some the Bridgestone? Is it manuf. facilities (I think all CR-V's are built in the same place) or date built, or what?

Thanks!
    JC
    Go check them out on tirerack.com
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    At 1,500 miles my '07's TPMS light came on and remains so. The tires are all at 30psi as determined by my tire gauge and that of a local mechanic.
    I expect this is not uncommon.
    Anybody know anything about this that might be pertinent before I take the considerable time and effort to visit the dealership?