Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

HHR Engine Problems

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Discuss starting and stalling issues with the HHR here.

Comments

• micheleg68micheleg68 Member Posts: 4
    Hello fellow HHR owners,
    I have read alot of the posts on pinging and i have a problem. I bought the car in mid January brand new and it was pinging the next day. That week i put in 89 octane and i didnt think anything of it, then when i kept hearing it i thought my hubby read that you need to do premium, so next 2 fill ups i put 93 hoping the pinging would go away and it hasnt. i dont notice it at stop lights, but say like at DDonuts its very noticable......... i thought maybe the low gas had to be used up to not hear the ping, but that was 3 weeks ago!!!!!!! im wondering if i should call the dealer or not. im not noticing any bad mileage or anything but it worries me.. any thoughts?????? :D
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    Do you have the 2.4L or 2.2L, Chevy recommends premium for the 2.4L, not the 2.2L. I have the 2.4L & even with 87 octane have not heard any pinging....even at 115mph. Are you in a hot climate or cold? Since my 2.4L doesn't ping even on 87,octane...and yours still pings on 93...take it in..something is wrong....I own another car with the 2.2L it never pings...If you're driving a stick shift & keeping it in 5th gear at slow speeds....or starting out in 3rd from a stop....that might sound like pinging...(or if yours has XM radio...take it off that channel you're listening to).
    Thanks for the reply, I have the 2.4L Bigger engine as well. I live in CT and its neither really hot or really cold right now. I usually keep the car in the garage at night. I was getting concerned that i may need to call the dealer,since all the other people have used the lower grade fuel and no pings. I think Ill call the dealer tomorrow!!!!!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    It sounds like it pings consistently so the dealer can hear if they don't believe you. Sometimes pinging is elusive.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

The 2001 RAV4 that we traded in ....it had VVT just like the 2.4L HHRs....we went thru an episode of pinging...lucky it was still under warranty....Toyota kept it for about 2 weeks (they gave us a loaner)....every time I would stop by the Toyota dealership there was a mechanic with his face in the engine ....engine laid open like open heart surgery... If I would have had to pay for everything that went wrong (from day ONE)...with that Toyota it would have cost me about $6,000 !!!! Hopefully yours is just a simple adjustment.
    Hello All, Its Michele,Well i called the dealer and explained the pinging and they said it is probably the fuel injector and the FI on these cars are known to tick. My husband explained to them that it pings ALOT... I may still have them look at it.
    That's a new one on me....a pinging FI ???? Let us know how it turns out. We bought ours on Nov. 28th...got a Red Tag Price + about $1,000 GM card discount...good trade in , etc. Just got a letter from GM Card...they will bump my $100 current rebate on the card to $2,000 if I buy a new car by 3/31. Humm, maybe I'll try to trade up to leather-spoiler & sunroof.....
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    It depends on how the noise was described to the service person. Fuel injectors do make a 'ticking' sort of noise that sounds to me a little bit like lifters or something. It's definitely not the same as the noise I hear when an engine 'pings' (spark-knock).

Injector noise occurs as they actually fire and is usually only audible at very low speeds or at idle, many times in situations where the vehicle is running near a sound-reflective wall (like in a fast food drive through). My Silverado 5.3l does this at McD's. At driving speeds they are inaudible, completely covered over by all other normal sounds (wind, road noise, radio, etc.).

Pinging on the other hand normally only happens when the engine is under load, like when climbing inclines or during rapid acceleration. That's because the detonation usually occurs when the motor is straining. I don't know if it's still considered normal for cars to sometimes 'ping' under extreme situations, but it used to be. I remember some older manuals mentioning it in the 'fuels' section, and saying that some pinging in such situations was normal, but that if it occurs in regular driving that either higher octane gas should be used (than the minimum recommended) or that the vehicle should be taken in for service.
  • dravencrsdravencrs Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2006 HHR in March, 2006. This past Friday, got into the vehicle, started it and the "Service Passenger Airbag" message came on. Then later on that night noticed that the remote starter did not work. Took it to the dealer today who told me that GM Tech Line said that this problem was very new and they didn't know much about it, but the passenger airbag was malfunctioning and that was causing the remote start not to work. They told the dealer to change the "relay" part - that has been fixing the problem. So, if the message reappears or if the remote start still does not work, then I am to call the dealer back and let them know. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did the service dept. tell you?
    Thanks. :confuse:
  • jonnymjonnym Member Posts: 5
    Last week I went to start my HHR and it took a good 10 seconds for the car to turn over. I thought nothing of it at that time and went about my day. I didn't have anymore problems starting the car the rest of the day. The following day I experienced the same problem starting but this time the temp, speedometer, tach, and gas gauges all were dead. When i realized the gauges were dead I pulled over and shut the vehicle off immediately. I waited a few minutes and started it up and the engine turned over immediately but the gauges were still dead. I waited a few more minutes and started it again and this time everything was fine. It started and ran fine all weekend. I took it to the dealership on Monday and they told me it had produced a faulty ground trouble code however the couldn't duplicate the turning over problem. The service manager told me they cleaned all grounds and assured me this would fix the problem. Not more than 2 hours after having the vehicle home the problem I experienced with the engine turning over problem came back. The service manager told me he would be in contact with GM and would get back to me. Anybody have anything similar?? :cry:
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I haven't heard of this happening to anyone,,,,but: To be clear, are you saying the starter doesn't seem to engage for a period of time? A few times I have thought I started mine (without listening (spaced out or whatever)) only to find it isn't started. So far I attributed it to me not turning key far enough but perhaps it is something else.
    Right, engine cranks but never turns over. I have definitely turned the key far enough. The dealership has lent me a Vehicle Data Recorder since they can never duplicate the issue. The problem can be pretty intermittent sometimes so I guess I can sympathize with them for now. Hopefully, the recorder can catch exactly what is or isn't happening. I just got the recorder hooked up late yesterday so I should have a answer in a few days.
  • ficeteeficetee Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I've experienced the same problem. It started before I drove off the lot. The driver info center kept flashing between "Service Passenger Airbag" and "Powersteering." They ended up keeping it for 2weeks. Replaced a relay. It was okay for a while, but the problem came back a few weeks later, followed by the powersteering, windshield wipers and a/c going out whenever these messages appeared. Took it back to the dealer for the 2nd time, this time however, after having it for a week, they determined there was a loose connector?? I have no idea what that means. But it seems to have fixed the problem. I hope this helps. :D
  • jamiegisijamiegisi Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if you got this fixed yet so this may be a mute point, but we had the same issue, identical to what you described, turns out what it was is the security system was malfunctioning. The security systems turns off the fuel pump when it thinks it is being stolen. Dealership chenged the computer in the car and it fixed it, never had problem with it since. Knock on wood!!
    Yes, still having issue w/ car. I will definitely mention this to the dealership @ my appointment on Thursday. Thanks for the info.
    Jamiegisi,
    If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of your dealership and city that's it? My dealership replaced the theft deterrent module and the issue is still there. I was hoping they(dealerships) would be able to communicate and come up with something since GM has no clue what the problem is. Was it the main computer they replaced? Or one of the others? :confuse: :cry:
  • sunnyday13sunnyday13 Member Posts: 3
    Have owned the car 5 weeks and twice it would not start. Key will not turn. First time it did start with the automatic starter. Second time we had to call Customer Service, he said pull steering wheel hard to left. It started? Anyone else hear of this? :cry:
    From what you describe, it sounds like what has nahppened on several different vechicles I've owned. Usually its from having tension (holding) steering wheel when you turn vehicle off, then when you let go, the wheel may turn a bit and lock and be hard to release when trying to start again. 'fix' in this case is to let go of steering wheel before shutting off, and perhaps not move it to lock position.
  • walgerwalger Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I bought a HHR may 1 and it has gone back so many times . We are just driving along and all the alrms start ringing, the gas gauge goes to empty and the truck just stops. After waiting for 1/2 hour it will start and run for one minute and then quit again. After they change a few pins they said that was it. Then it happened again. Now they sya they need to replace the whole fuse block . I asked for a new car the ervices guys said I should get one but I have to deal with GM who want to explore all opotions. Mean while I still have to pay for a truck I don't have the pleasure of using. Is anyone else having this problem???
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Didn't they give you a loaner vehicle??? They should!!!
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I think the writer means they want a replacement for the HHR with the starter problems
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    you might want to research what the lemon laws are for your state if they cant fix the problem....each law varies by state as does the arbitration process....

lemon laws start with the dealership first.....
    Hhmm The mention of fuse block has me wondering. It has been mentioned here (and elsewhere) that the fuses/fuseable links/relays may not be tightly seated (from manufacturing). A simple check you or hubby could try is just opening fuse box and pushing down on all the fuses relays and stuff in there, you may find some or all could be a little tighter in fitting and perhaps may make things better. ( I know about underhood fuse block, there may be one in cabin also, not sure)
  • mborohoney1mborohoney1 Member Posts: 7
    I stopped to fill my 2006 HHR with gas. Turned off the engine, then turned the key to reset my "trip" button and roll down a window. Turned off key, then pumped my gas. When I got back in the car, I turned the key and got a clicking noise, it would not start. I got out of the car and tried to use the remote starter. When I pushed the button, it did not start the engine but everything inside went crazy (my radio, clock). It still would not start. I called my Dad for assistance. When he arrived (10 minutes later) it still did not start. We pushed the car away from the gas pump and proceeded to "jump start" it with my mom's Tahoe. The engine did not turn over the first time, but did the second time. We proceeded to the Chevy dealer, where it is now. Anyone else ever had this problem before?
    I don't believe I have heard of that problem before, but the general symptoms sound like battery or battery connection problem.
    Or could it be the Alternator? The car is only 10 months old, with 4600 miles on it.
    could be that to, tough to say without some diagnostics done on it. There is another outside possibility also. Have you (or someone else) ever checked the fuses in underhood fuse box? Many have found them to be not seated correctly right from factory. I haven't heard of it causing specific troubles, but its possible.
    We will see. I will let you know what the outcome is when we get it back from the dealer.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    IF I were a betting man, my $ would be on somekind of a computer issue - maybe something that can be fixed with a reprgram or something.
    That is possible. I will post when we get a diagnosis/fix.
    Got the HHR back from the shop (two days later). It appears there was nothing wrong with it based on the computer tests. They charged the battery. Don't understand this, since the car started before she arrived at the gas station????????? I bet it will happen again.
    I agree, most likely will happen again sometime or other. You didn't have anything plugged in to hot connection (I:E: cigarette lighter plug) when it happened did you?
    She may have had a phone charger plugged in, but no phone attached. Just a fluk I guess.
    Hhmm I think charger may draw current even if phone not plugged in. I don't think it should use that much though. Does charger get warm when plugged in (might imply a lot of power being used for it)?
    update: I just found there is a TSB that may come into play here. TSB #06-06-04-045 and it describes main wiring harness maybe getting chafed or cut by evaporative emmision canister purge solenoid valve bracket. It applies to 2.2l's built before 4/27/06 and 2.4l's built before 2/20/06 and can cause drained battery, long crank and other things.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'm renaming this discussion to make it our general HHR engine questions/problems discussion.
    After one year / 12,000 miles.....zero defects, ave 27 mpg, 2.4L 2LT automatic, ....still fun to drive!!!
    UPDATE: The car has been ok, no starting issues. But now, the key is sticking in the ignition. Turns car off, but is very difficult to remove from the ignition switch.
    I believe a couple people have had that happen and ended up having shifter replaced (auto tranny).
    I had a little problem with engine flutter/falter/stutter when either defroster or A/C was on (I could feel it and tach showed little drop in RPMS). I already had an idea it was because A/C was a little over charged, but sevice consultant wrote it up a little different. Tech ended up doing a test anyway and indeed found it was to much refridgerant and corrected. Trouble gone. Little dissappointed in service department in that I had asked them to check to see if there was fix yet for another minor thing and they only came back with the 'unable to re-create' thing ( I had already told them twice they couldn't at this time and was just looking to see in fix was available yet :mad: )
  • dizziedevilsdizziedevils Member Posts: 2
    :lemon: :cry: I HAVE THE 2.4 LT, I HAVE HAD PROBLEM SINCE 3000 MILES. I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER, THEY REPLACED THE KNOCK SENSOR AND DRIVERS MIRROR AND SENT ME ON MY WAY. THEY SAID THE REST OF MY PROBLEMS WERE NOT FOUND. MY COMPLAINTS WERE FLICKERING DASH LIGHTS, PULLS TO LEFT HARD WHEN BRAKING, ROTTON EGG SMELL WHEN BACKING, BURNING PLASTIC SMELL, HARD TRANS SHIFT, RATTLE IN STEERING WHEEL, PINGING AND KNOCKING, REMOTE START WILL NOT START/STAY RUNNING, FUEL SURGE WHEN SITTING STILL, KEY STUCK IN IGNITION/WONT TURN, SLOW START, ENGINE LIGHT STILL COMES ON....THERE ARE A FEW MORE THINGS, BUT THE DEALERS COULDNT FIND THEM. NOW I HAVE 29000 ON THE CAR AND THINGS ARE WORSE. I HAVE TRYED THE DEALERS AND THEY WILL NOT HELP. SO I CALLED GM HELP LINE, STILL IN THE PROCESS OF GETTING HELP. I LOVE MY CAR BUT IF I CANT GET HELP IN THESE MATTERS I'M GONNA GET RID OF IT...IT ISNT REALLY THE CAR IT IS THE CRAPPY SERVICE THAT I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH. i HAVE TRYED TO DROP MY CAR OFF MANY TIMES AND ASKED FOR A LOANER AND WAS TOLD WARRANTY WORK DOESNT GET LOANERS. SO I'M STUCK....
    29,000 miles....wow. How often does it ping....? Ping on 91 octane?
  • filenotfoundfilenotfound Member Posts: 1
    If the shifter does not "lock" in park. (meaning you can move it into any gear from there it is considered a safety issue) Mine did this along with the Not being able to remove the key from Ignition. A dealer took it in immediately and gave me a free rental until the car was fixed. Perhaps going to another GM dealer would help. Ironically I was forced to find another dealer since the one I putchased the car from went out of biz.

Turn off motor and depress the brake pedal repetedly is what broke mine in the first place. I was not attempting to break anything only activating the brake lights with key off. 26000K Miles

I took mine to Rotolo of Fontana. I am very impressed with their overall level of customer care!

:shades: :D
    Just curious, why were you repeatedly depressing the brake pedal with the motor off?
    Well after 13000 trouble free miles a couple things have come up.....slow ignition...= computer reprogram? + transmission fluid leak...dropping transmission....given 2007 GMC Envoy (tank) to drive....may go broke putting gas in Envoy till get HHR back...HHR is a lot more fun to drive than Envoy!!!!!!!
    Looks like Chevy found a defect in the metal where the engine connects to transmission....I think they're going to have to replace big time parts....so after starting with an AVEO loaner...then Envoy...today I got a G5 (2.2L)...hey ..it's a hoot to drive...put almost a hundred miles on it tonight...seems to get about 32-34 mpg & has a little kick...imagine G5 GT with the 2.4L & real wheels & tires would be real fun.
  • hhrprobshhrprobs Member Posts: 13
    :mad: I am mad ,i got a 2006 hhr in june of 2006.i like to play the radio sometimes,when im outside after 1 hr ,i turn it o ,then come back to crank it and it want crank,i've had this happen 4 times but once without nothing on .The lights just flash like crazy,and no power,,you cant roll the widows down because of the roar.i got a check engine light that came home car misses, and tc light comes on ,take it to shop they put in to new sensers,i go get it and 10 mins later its runnning rough again,take it back and they call and teell me that i got water in the gas tank,and its not covered,but i know that where i get my gas know one esle has had a problem,now they want $140.00 for service.Thats wrong.I also have water links on my carpet.you think the gas tank could be getting water in it?Plez help.I think the hhr is a :lemon:
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Since we didn't have one, I've moved the recent string of posts on brake issues to the new Chevy HHR Brake Problems discussion.
  • hhrprobshhrprobs Member Posts: 13
    after 2 tanks of :confuse: gas and gas treatment my hhr is still missing im begining to think there was no water in my gas tank unless the dealer i took it to had put some in the gas he sampled.i was charged a sevice charge,and my hhr is still missing.but i think its something else but afraid to take it back because they will say i got bad gas again,anyone ever had this problem?
    I don't have an answer, but take a look at post #29. There is a TSB out that can create a variety of troubles (including the miss you are having perhaps