Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Audio & Entertainment Questions

Comments

• pabugeaterpabugeater Member Posts: 17
    OK, I'd like to try this but my dealer says it might destroy the Nav System, fry the ECU and cost me $5,000!

So, is your Nav System still working? :) Do you still disable the Motion Interlock feature?

Thanks,

Steve
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    That is a total crock - you wont hurt anything. Just don't mess with any other buttons in the screen.

This only works on the 5.1 version of the Nav DVD - not 6.1 (but there is a way around that too).
    ah, I have 6.1 - that is my holy grail, so to speak :) no wonder it doesn't work, even though:

http://www.wikihow.com/Override-Toyota-Prius-Navigation-Gray-out

says it should ...
    OK, I've waited a few days - how is that done?

Thanks,

Steve
    See this thread/post and what follows. It does work on the Toyota Camry Nav too.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2141921&postcount=122
  • georgia411georgia411 Member Posts: 18
    Hello all - Just bought by Camry Hybrid this weekend and am having fun learning about all the features. One thing perplexed me though - I cannot find where CD's are inserted. I called the dealer and he said their is some kind of eject button to the left the of NAV screen. I'll have to take a look when I get home (drove my old car to work today). I was surprised nothing like this was mentioned in the owner's manual. Did anyone else have this issue (not spotting it)? Thanks.
    No, the Eject symbol/Close button was pretty self-explanatory to me...

;)
    Yup, I agree and should have spotted it. My last car had a tape deck, so I am really entering the 21st century here. My dealer also referred me to Toyota iGuide site, which was a big help. Thanks and best wishes
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    My last car had a tape deck

Was that an 8-Track?

Sorry, couldn't help myself, just had to say that :)
    Hello all - Another oddball question. I have read conflicting info about if one should leave the engine on or off when parked (and listening to the radio). If I am sitting in my car for 5 - 10 minutes (waiting to pick someone up) and want to just listen to the radio in my Camry Hybrid, should I leave the engine running or turn it off and just use the "accessories" function? My sense is that I should just use the "accessories" function, but some have told me that it's on for a while, it could drain the battery. I don't think 5 - 10 minutes would be too draining, would it? Thanks and happy holidays.
    This requires dismantling the center console of the hybrid to access the rear of the head unit. I am not good at this tuff, and am looking for instructions (pictures even!) describing how to do this.

Thanks,
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I don't think 5 to 10 minutes would hurt, and I'd rather do that than have my ICE kick on to charge the system. However, I'm not sure how long the ICE would stay off if you did decide to leave the system on, and with such a small drain on the hybrid system battery while sitting in park I would think that it would not discharge quickly.
    Hummm.
  • camygcamyg Member Posts: 11
    You should be able to listen to the radio in the "accessories" mode for a long time without a problem, just like you could in a non-hybrid car. Or you could leave the car on and the ICE shouldn't start to charge the battery for a long time, although it may start to maintain temperature. For example, I sat in my TCH for about an hour when I first got it, with the radio on in the "accessories" mode, trying to go through and memorize enough about the Nav system for normal use. After that hour, the car started up normally with no indication that it was any significant power usage. Also, I have sat in a traffic jam for over 30 minutes with the car on, the ICE off, lights on, and moving very little. The outside temp was about 60 and the ICE never started to charge the battery pack. The bottom line - either will work, although I'd use the "accessories" mode. The 12 volt battery has plenty of power to run your radio, probably for a couple of hours without a problem (just a guess - haven't tried it). Now, leaving your lights on will drain the battery much faster and should be avoided.
    OK, here are VAIS Tech SLI iPod interface install instructions:

http://www.lehigh.edu/~sol0/Toyota/2007-Camry-SLI-Install.pdf
  • wsu7377wsu7377 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the Belkin audio kit yesterday, but I can only control volume through the Camry's audio system. Is there something else I need to control other iPod features?
  • irvpiesirvpies Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced this.

Sometimes when it is really cold overnight (usually for a few days) when I start my camry for the first time it forgets ALL my radio station settings, and previous GPS locations. It remembers however my Favorite buttons.

What the heck is going on? I dont want to bring my car into the dealer and have them keep it, and them never fix the problem. Especially considering I don't get a loaner car unless they say it is going to take more than 24 hours (but I don't know that until after the service is done)

seth
  • jerryg05495jerryg05495 Member Posts: 11
  • navguynavguy Member Posts: 61
    It seems as if the voltage going to the radio is dropping below 9VDC. Do you have to jump start your vehicle to get it started?
  • wsu7377wsu7377 Member Posts: 2
    CD's play fine.
  • jvcalandrajvcalandra Member Posts: 2
    I have 2 questions:

1 - I've tried to hook up an MP3 player (Ipod) to the AUX input in my 2007 TCH. I thought that file & folder information was supposed to show up on the screen (I have Nav system). Only info on screen was "AUX is in play mode". I tried again with a Zen player, and same message appeared. Am I doing something wrong?

2 - Is there any (safe)way to override the feature that blocks the navigation and audio controls that are blocked while the car is driving? It is a pain to not be able to at least have a passenger use the system while I am driving.

Thank you.
    James
  • mfreeman1943mfreeman1943 Member Posts: 6
    In reply to your first question: the AUX input connects to the analog sound output (headphone jack)on your MP3 player. There is no way the info you want is going to be transferred to the car. This is why I much prefer putting the MP3's on CD's which will display that info.
  • jvcalandrajvcalandra Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know how to speak a "DASH" into the system as part of an address? Whenever I try to enter an address via voice commands (ex: "ONE" "ZERO" "TWO" "DASH" "THREE" "SIX" for 102-36) the system reads it as 102736 or 102NW36 or something similar.

I've tried to replace the "DASH" with "HYPHEN", "SLASH", "SPACE", and have even tried to speak the address without any punctuation (ex: "ONE" "ZERO" "TWO" "THREE" "SIX") but then the system tells me that no such house number exists.

Any imput is welcome!

Thanks
    James
  • titaniummdtitaniummd Member Posts: 5
    What do most Camry Hybrid owners do? I see that the Camry Hybrid is XM or Sirius Capable but is it better to go with Toyota or Best Buy/equivalent?
  • plknjplknj Member Posts: 121
    As a Sirius subscriber for over two years, this was a major issue for me. Basically, it will cost you over $800 to have Toyota replace your XM and most units are on back order. I transferred my Stiletto to my TCH for a grand total of $65. The work was done by an auto specialty store which I trust.

Also, the new radios are not as powerful as the older models so some shops may want to install a booster for the signal. Great, but you have to turn off Sirius when you want to listen to regular radio. My guys circumvented this by adding a connection to my rear window defroster... blew me away. Just wish Toyota would not list XM/Sirius on the sticker as it is very misleading.
  • ourdad1ourdad1 Member Posts: 7
    Where in the the car did you have your unit installed?
    It is installed via a suction cup right above the dash on the lower left side of my window. As I drive over 100 miles a day I also have my Garmin GPS and my radar detector on my windshield. A bit of a pain when I have to take them all off, but they work perfectly.

I have the Stiletto 100... there are some really small units that these auto shops can hide really easily. I happen to like the features of the Stiletto.

I do not know if there is a way to upload pictures... if there is I would show you the set up.
    Thanks
  • texasbucktexasbuck Member Posts: 1
    I bought my new TCH last week, and my Toyota dealer was supposed to install the integrated Sirius. I got a call today from the dealer saying the 2007 TCH without the Nav, does not support the integrated Sirius, only XM, even though Toyota boasts XM/Sirius Compatibility with the 2007 TCH. Has anyone actually got Sirius to work yet with the TCH, not using the Aux jack or an FM transmitter, but controlling from the in-dash stereo? I am a faithful Sirius subscriber and I am not interested in XM. And I also do not want to install a separate Sirius receiver and mar the look of my interior. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    It does suck being mislead. But that is what happened to me when I purchased my TCH. Not much can be done at this time unless something has changed.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    My dealer said that I could have either one! I chose the XM because I have Sirius in my other vehicle. They install a receiver in the vehicle and add an antenna. Perhaps there is another dealership or a shop in the area that can integrate the Sirius for you.

Let us know what you find out. Good Luck :shades:
    It is false advertising... but it sounds as if your dealer just found out the 'simple' switch will cost them hundreds of dollars so they are telling you they can't switch them out. I went to two dealers, neither were familiar with the costs until they researched it. Your car CAN take Sirius... other people have spent the $700- 800 to upgrade. There is a shortage of Sirius radios, I was told the wait is a month or two. I had my Stiletto moved to my TCH for $60 and am very happy with the results, but am upset with Toyota for this false advertising.
  • bishopgabishopga Member Posts: 3
    My automatic transition never seems to cut off. I like to keep the display on audio, but my NAV always wants to seem to take over --anyone else have this problem?
  • lungdoc63lungdoc63 Member Posts: 55
    In the settings somewhere (its been a while) you can choice to have the audio screen left on indefinitately, until you hit audio, or some other button.
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    Press 'INFO', then touch 'SCREEN SETTING', then touch 'OFF' to prevent the sytem from defaulting to the map display. You will also find that you can change the color from GREEN to ORANGE on this menu too!
  • mrbill4mrbill4 Member Posts: 3
    Same here. Stiletto seems to work great. Just tried it today.
    I hate the XM programming with no DJs and no Howard Stern :)
  • gampagampa Member Posts: 78
    Well it's my first major problem with the Hybrid in the last several months. It appears the cd player is not playing cd's and is having trouble loading and ejecting them.
    The Cds are "originals" having the required logo on the front label so I assume it must be the unit.
    It seems that all else works with the radio and navigation system.
    I will be taking it to the dealer over the next few days and I'll post the results for those who have the same problem.

Gampa
  • badrsjbadrsj Member Posts: 1
    Hi, In my TCH - the mp3 player (Creative Nomad JukeBox 30 GB) when connected to the auxillay jack and the auxillary power (both the one in the dash and the one in between the seats) causes a whine sound thru the audio system. This sound stops when you pause the Mp3 player, Also resumes with a louder sound when you restart the Mp3 player. It totally disappears when disconnected from the power source from the car and let run on the internal Mp3 player battery. This has always been like this. The player never worked without causing the said problem.

It is like the player interferes with the car's audio system - any ideas, or similar experiences?
    Thanks for your time.
  • jtheunejtheune Member Posts: 1
    I tried out an "07" with nav before buying my "08" hybrid with nav. The "07" had always a line above the map showing the radio station. I want this on my "08"! I tried INFO, SCREEN SETTINGS, OFF, and this doesn't do it. Any help out there?
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    I have a 2007 with nav. How do I get it to show the radio station on the screen all the time. Mine does not do that at this time.
    Just started using my Ipod in the car and am also hearing a background whine. Don't know what to do about it... hear it more on audio books then with music.
  • timothy468timothy468 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new TCH and used a brand new Monster male/male adapter to plug my son's iPod into the Auxiliary sound input. The sound was adequate (perhaps a bit of hiss), but the sound was way too quiet. At a sound level that was normal via car radio (ie a level of about 30), and, in his ears, adequate on the iPod (somwhere in the middle) - when we connected the two, the sound was inaudible. Only by turning the sound all the way up to max on both devices were we able to play the music. It was loud enough like that for my tastes, but something is wrong here.

Should I have bought the power supply/output combo, instead of simply the output plug? Is the iPod unable to send a strong enough signal without a power source? I tried different levels of "ASL" (including "off") to no avail. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Tim
  • flyerman22flyerman22 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please explain how to change or turnoff lights without waiting 30 seconds? I think you can change this to 7.5 seconds but can't seem to learn how to do it. Happy New Year!
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    You need to see the dealer to change the programed turnoff time. Otherwise, press the lock button on the fob. That turns off the lights instantly.
    I have had the exact same problem with background hiss on the spoken word. Yesterday it got so bad that I pulled out the power connector and the hiss went away! Hope this helps.
  • soundviewsoundview Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased '07 TCH and from the start the AM reception has been at best fair and mostly poor even with strong stations. An annoying static sounds in the background intermittently, though in some areas the signal is strong and clear. This also occurs on FM stations though not as often. Is there some interference common to hybrids that I should have known about or do I need to run back to the dealer for warranty inspection? Any history others have would be appreciated.
    I would take it into the dealer, you should not have any problems with your radio. I even play my Sirius through the radio and get great reception.
  • macmookmacmook Member Posts: 1
    Just over a week ago, during the purchase of my 2009 Camry Hybrid a Toyota Sirius radio was ordered and subsequently installed in my vehicle. It was my understanding that this would be indiscernible from a factory installation. I should note that this is not my first satellite radio. It is my seventh.

First let me address how the satellite integration into the navigation head unit leaves a lot to be desired. Even though the head unit has a seven inch display, the Toyota truncates the text at ten characters, and only displays the title and artist.

Second, the installation options of the Toyota factory satellite antenna kit are at a level well below what I have observed at even Circuit City or Best Buy. In my previous experience all factory installed satellite antennas were integrated into the roof line and had wiring which was routed internally to the vehicle head unit. This was also the case in the factory unit which I retrofitted into my new (at the time) Jeep Liberty. Even the Circuit City unit installed in my truck hides the wiring unobtrusively and has a very small physical antenna.

When I picked up my Camry following the installation of the satellite receiver I didnt even think to look at the antenna installation. It was only after I noted that the quality of signal was worse than any of my previous experiences that I actually looked for the antenna. I had assumed it was part of the headliner and/or embedded in the front window. Imagine my surprise when I found a large clumsy looking unit sitting on top of my trunk lid.

Cosmetically it looks like an after thought. No real effort other than color matching was given to the aesthetics of the design. However, what is even worse is the draping of the antenna wire into the trunk. When the trunk lid is opened about eight inches of wire rise with the lid. Its only the artful bending of the wire that ensures it will drape back down into the vehicle when the lid is then closed. Incredible. That level of engineering (or lack thereof) is far surpassed even with a Circuit City antenna.

Lastly, the reception on the Camry factory satellite receiver is the POOREST I have experienced, bar none. In my other vehicles there are two locations through which I regularly travel where Sirius and XM both briefly lose the signal in the shadow of a large set of hills. In the Camry the signal regularly drops out in flat and level countryside with a degree of frequency which make it not worth the effort of listening.

Satellite radio is an important part of the experience I expect from any vehicle I own. Based on my expectations of quality from the Toyota brand, this was a complete surprise. I had anticipated a seamless integration into the onboard electronics and an engineered installation that would appear to have been carefully considered rather than a slapdash attempt to place an antenna.

I had hoped to find that the rudimentary satellite display integrated into the head unit, and the amateurish design of the antenna are just lower levels of options perhaps intended for an entry level vehicle and that a higher degree of integration of both form and function are selectable. But apparently this is the best that Toyota has to offer. I had the satellite receiver removed from my vehicle.

Toyota responded to my issue by directing me via a canned response to Sirius. No acknowledgement was made of the poor offering sanctioned by Toyota. How did those other car manufacturers coerce Sirius into providing a higher degree of integration? Why would Toyota allow a third party to damage their reputation?

Sirius gave me another Toyota phone number. That number gave me another Toyota number who claimed he would call me back in an hour. That was 7 hours ago.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and/or has anyone swapped out the antenna?

Thanks
  • jeffgljeffgl Member Posts: 1
    Similar problem. I picked up my 2009 TCH beginning of April. First thing I noticed was a triangular shaped box internally stuck to the top of the passenger side windshield. My salesman told me it was the antenna for the Sirius radio. OK, kind of ugly, but I can live with it, or so I thought. 3 weeks later, and after the trees in our area started to bloom, I am getting frequent drop outs during my local drives. My commute is mostly freeways and is still good reception wise, but once I turn off to the local roads the reception goes down hill fast. After searching though dozens of other web sites, I found out that this internal antenna is made by Sirius (they call it 'SIGMA') and is supposed to be a better solution (according to their press) than a deck or roof mount external antenna. Some websites claim this is the 'offical' Toyota installation method - up on the inside windshield, though it sounds like that is not always true for all dealerships.
    It is clear that this is causing the reception problem, perhaps it works fine in other parts of the country, not so in North / Central New Jersey. Like many, I installed satellite radios in my other cars with roof mounted antennas and never experienced this level of reception problems.
    So now I have three options, since I mostly use the car for freeway driving anyway just learn to live with it, go back to Toyota and expect a prolonged and frustrating runaround based on macmook's and others experiences, or just put in a roof/trunk mount external antenna and go on with my life.
    A final option is to have my wife deal with Toyota's service department as she enjoys these kinds of battles more than I do.
    Had an after-market shop install my Stiletto... they had trouble getting great reception. There is a second wire that comes with Stiletto (which they have never used)... they ran it through the car to the rear window defogger area and got great reception. Hope this helps... Peter
  • ncalmike76ncalmike76 Member Posts: 3
    I recently installed the sirius kit in my 08' TCH to my nav system. I agree with the reception issue, my main complaint however is there is a crackle sound that only comes through the speakers when in Sirius(SAT) 1,2 or 3. It almost sounds like my speakers are blown, but they are not as when listening to the radio or the cd changer sound is crisp and clear. Any one else having the same issue? I did the same install on my 07 Tundra and no issues? Please let me know :)