Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Blind spot

kristymisskristymiss Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Help! We just got an FJ last week and I need suggestions on how to help with blind spots. We live in ATL and I am a vervous wreck when I have to change lanes!

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There has been quite a bit of discussion about blind spots in the main Toyota FJ Cruiser 4X4 topic. It would be worth a visit there and do a search on the terms "blind spot"

tidester, host
  • kristymisskristymiss Member Posts: 10
    Thanks!
  • gypsyjongypsyjon Member Posts: 38
    I live in Atlanta too and drive from Decatur to Kennesaw on 75 etc.

Try this: Adjust both outside mirrors so that you have to tilt your head over to the window on the left, before you can see the side of your FJ in the mirror. This places the glass at an angle that shows you things coming up beside you. In fact when adjusted correctly you can see cars in the mirror right up to the point that you can see them out your side window.

Do the same with the right hand mirror..Adjust until you have to tilt your head pretty far to the right to see the side of your truck.

I have been doing this for years in SUV and cars for that matter. It keeps you from changing lanes when there is someone in your blind spot. Actually it seems ackward at the start but you get used to it very quickly and it is way safer. I learned this little trick from the Car Guys on NPR and it really makes a difference. It virtually elimates all blind spots on FJs and other vehicles too.

Give it a try, I bet you like it. You will be shocked at how many times you glance in that mirror to see a car alongside you that you had no idea was there and that you could not see otherwise.

GypsyJon
  • kristymisskristymiss Member Posts: 10
    Thanks so much! We actually went out last weekend and practiced. I did a lot better after a couple of times. I did go and get some tiny spot mirrors too that have boosted my confidence.

Thanks for the tips=

BTW-we have a yellow FJ from Sandy Springs Toyota! ;) :shades:
  • ron41ron41 Member Posts: 37
    Last week I did a major audio/video overhaul in my FJ Cruiser. The fjammer and stock subwoofer were removed,speakers on the front doors were removed along with the two dash speakers. I had the headunit replaced with a Pioneer P5700DVD with an ipod adapter and had a rear view camera installed inside the rear of the truck at the top of the rear window great angle and view with a Pioneer camera. This eliminated the visual problems or blindspots. It was needed because my son drives the truck. Sure there are rear sensors but nothing is better than visuals. The first rear camera that was used was an Audiovox, DO NOT BUY THIS CAMERA BECAUSE IT GIVES YOU REVERSE IMAGES, EXAMPLE WHATEVER IS ON THE RIGHT IS REALLY ON THE LEFT, DANGEROUS. so I purchased the Pioneer camera that is truely compatable to the Pioneer headunit. Also put in Focal speakers in the front doors and Memphis speakers in the dash. A Alpine amp with two 12" subwoofer in caqse in the rear cargo area. Oh also had Pac steering wheel audio control interface installed so I could still use those controls. Put a rear view camera in and that will eliminate the blindspots!
  • ron41ron41 Member Posts: 37
    Can't seem to find out how to upload pictures with my comment.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Ron, the easiest way is to use your CarSpace page to "host" your photos by setting up your album there. Once you upload your photos to the album from your computer, the photos will show URLs in a couple of boxes that you can use to either paste the pic in the discussion or send people to the album.

There's a bit more in the Help link - How do I post a photo in the Forums?
  • vegasfjvegasfj Member Posts: 1
    I am having an issue with my new Toyota FJ Cruiser. I have had numerous incidents where I have come extremely close to wrecking into others. There are blind spots at the rear, left and right which make lane changing quite a challenge and actually dangerous.I have almost run over children and adults that have been walking up or down roadsides to the front sides of my car. It seems that the blind spots are created by the large column that connects the front windshield, the roof and the doors as well as the configuration of the rear side glass and column design.
    Any helpful ideas? ( I am not a bad driver and do use my mirrors)
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    There are two solutions.

1) Angle your stock mirrors out to pick up traffic on either side that is out of your view when you turn your head slightly and not so far back that they show up in your rear view mirror. As one guy I know said, the inside rear view mirror is for the rear view. The side mirrors are for the blind spots. Now this didn't work for my wife who resets the mirrors every time she drives the FJ after I have driven it. She won't practice driving with the mirrors out; rather she wants to see the side of the FJ in the mirrors when she uses them. You are wasting your time trying to argue the point to my wife, she won't listen; thus this solution did not work for "our" FJ.

2) For about $2.50 each buy two 3 inch round convex mirrors, (sometimes called fisheye mirrors) and stick them in the outer top of the stock mirrors. They even have them now that are adjustable, (modest movement). They won't block your stock mirrors, and will give you a view of what's beside you and not showing up in your other mirrors. They take a little getting used to but they work well once you make the driving adjustment to using them. I practiced by watching traffic in other lanes as I passed it to get a feel for what a close vehicle looks like compared to something farther back.

The second solution was somewhat forced on me by my wife’s attitude but I do think it's the best way to solve the problem.

Roll
    Take a look at Post #4 from July on this topic and I think the problem will be resolved.
    :)
  • terryjgterryjg Member Posts: 1
    I use these mirrors on my Chev Suburban. They are GREAT. They do "distort" a bit and require a day or two to get used to...but I have found them invaluable.

http://www.multivexmirror.net/Details.asp?ProdID=1089&category=6
  • fjlodifjlodi Member Posts: 1
    I've got 40k miles on my fj and only 2 real complaints--#1 the blind spot which has been beat to death #2 plastic body cladding which scratches easily and isn't repairable--good candidate for an aluminum fabricator to oem--20mpg
  • adethieradethier Member Posts: 16
    I've had my FJ for 5 months and am now comfortable with the 'blind spot'. I set my mirrors so that the bottom 2/3 are below the horizon line and seem to see everything on either my left or right.
    I love this car -- i have it as a second car and use it to go up to the mountain, to lug stuff around or when it rains (my other car is a convertible)
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    I'm not a big Toy fan, but I think the FJ is one nice lookin' vehicle. I sat in one on our local lot when they first came out, the visibility would be a concern for me.
    But like pretty much everything, we humans can certainly adapt. How are FJ sales doing? I've seen many on the South West Coast of Canada. And similar to a nice looking woman, I can't help but glance.
    On another note, Toyota is planning on re-introducing the Supra? That could be good.
    Enjoy!
  • timggtimgg Member Posts: 1
    When do blind spots constitute a serious safety hazard? Yesterday my neighbor backed his FJ into the street sign in front of my house and knocked it over. Fortunately it was a sign and not a person. Just like MOST people wouldn’t buy uncomfortable shoes just because they look good, I wouldn’t buy a car/truck that doesn’t allow the driver to see properly out the back (Unless it had large mirrors and a back up alarm like a commercial vehicle). The dropped rear roof line, the small rear window, the high spare tire and the C pillars all contribute to seriously restricted visibility. Damn the looks!
  • tramkytramky Member Posts: 4
    I hate to sound harsh about this, but rollbar's wife is a dangerous driver because of the way she sets the mirrors. It is ABSOLUTELY WRONG to set the sideview mirrors so that the driver can see the sides of the vehicle in them. Unfortunately she is not alone; millions of drivers in the U.S. do exactly the same thing. This originated from decades ago when, to be frank, care was NOT taken in teaching people how to set up a vehicle for driving. But in the case of setting mirrors, it did NOT make sense then and it does not make sense now. If you can yourself in the mirrors, then you are NOT able to see the other guy. It's just common sense and thinking for 2 seconds beyond the normal thought given to driving & safety by most people.

The sideview mirrors should be set as follows:

looking in the rearview mirror, as an overtaking vehicle's bumper just leaves the view of the rearview mirror, it should just be coming into view of the sideview mirror on the side that is being overtaken (passed). This should be the setting for both left & right side view mirrors. When set properly, the sides of the vehicle being driven are NOT visible in either sideview mirror.

I've heard it said that it should be absolutely unnecessary for a driver to swivel his/her head around in order to see what is beside or behind the vehicle being driven--everything should be visible in the mirrors when properly set.
    Steve

It could be me...nonetheless, these links do not seem to work
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's you. :D

Seriously, a few people do have problems getting to the CarSpace links for some reason.

Try going to the Guides tab at the top and then you can drill down to the mirror adjustment blurbs that way. The easiest way find them there is to hit View All under the Driving and Safety section.
This discussion has been closed.