Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX35 and FX 45 Tires and Wheels

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
Discuss them here!

Comments

• ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    i have a 2004 with the 20 inch tires

i have the sports suspension

goodyear rsa

have been told that the new bridgestone fuzion tires are the best

have been told the same about the toyo

has anyone here switched from goodyears to any other and what have the results been ?
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    I am have not since I have only 21k miles on my car, but I am also curious to know because I was told the original tires only last at most up to 30k miles. I have the 18 inch ones. :D
  • stevefxstevefx Member Posts: 2
    I have the Toyso Proxes. The original tires were a disaster in the snow. The Toyos were much better -the FX (I have an FX 45 w/20's) is still nowhere near as good a snow car as my old Chevy Blazer with real 4WD (part time, hi & low range.

The Toys are about teh same on the highway as the orignals, good in the rain and the car does go in the snow. Dry handling is about the same as the originals. Biggest problem in the snow is sterring in very slippery snow -the wide tires act like snowshoes.

Ig you go the the main forum on the FX, about a year ago a bunch of us were commenting on tires. My old name was SteveFX45 and a few people replied back & firth. I heard that Dunlop had good snows but only available in Canada (?)
  • phil04fx35phil04fx35 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the 265/50R20 Goodyear RSA (37K miles) with Yokohama YK520 which is an all season tire. So far I 've driven over 500 miles and very impressed with the comfort and how quiet it is. It's more comfortable and quiet than when the car was new. Before replacing the tires, I carefully researched for the most comfortable tires because I am tired of how harsh the GY RSA was. I live in Southern CA so snow is not a criteria. I believe you can only find this tire at America's Tire Company. I definitely recommend it to anyone who look for a comfortable and quiet tire.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    My first set lasted to about 14,500 miles. I was able to convince Goodyear to apply about a 50% discount on the second set when I replaced them due to the low milage. Just before 30,000 miles the second set were worn.

I figured even at 50% off the Goodyears were overpriced if they are only lasting 15,000 miles and I went with the new Bridgestone (Dueler's I believe).

Unfortunately I've traded the car so I don't know how they are holding up. I was not impressed with these Goodyears.
  • bisontebisonte Member Posts: 15
    Why cant any tire dealer find 20 inch snow tires for the FX and other performance SAVs? Very frustrating. DOnt want to spend money on wheels and lose the look of the 20 inch tires... Any luck at your end? Jon.
  • jtgradyjtgrady Member Posts: 6
    I am considering the purchase of a pre-owned 2005 FX 35 AWD with 18" wheels. I live in Michigan where we have snowy winters with slick roads. My main question is, how will my vehicle handle in the snow?
  • cyruscyrus Member Posts: 25
    How will my FX35 vehicle handle in the snow?

I have a 2004 FX35 with 18 inch tires & 34K miles on them (I bought the car new). I live in Chicago Land area where we get snow during winter. Here are my Subjective impressions of FX35 handling in snow as compared to my Wife’s’ Infiniti QX4 (Michelin M+S 16 inch tires, narrower than FX’s 265 mm width Bridgestone Potenza ). Last night I drove both back to back on our 2-3 inch snow covered roads in Antioch Suburbs. The QX4 (on ALL Mode4X drive and NO stability/VDC control) seemed very easy to drive and rapidly accelerated with no drama. FX /35 with "lousy" (for snow) tires was unable to accelerate as fast as that of QX4 (mainly because the FX’s VDC kept kicking in). The limiting factor here is the tire (see below). I will be replacing my tires next year (To my surprise the Infiniti dealer told me I STILL HAVE 40% LIFE LEFT ON THE ORiGINAL TIRES; true I drive very easy, especialy on Take off so as not to stress the tires or else the $1000 replacement cost at a minumum).
    Another observation: The FX’s tires also Hydroplane because of their width, mainly when you go through standing water (Has happened to me Twice). In a nut shell, as I noted, the limiting factor on snow are mainly the tires (Not the sophisticated AWD in Infiniti/Nissan SUVs). We all need to get ourselves a new set of better overall tires. Consumer Report had an article on tires a while back. Although the Bridgestone Potenza (on my 04 fx) was good overall, they were rated as sub par on snow and ice. If I recall correctly, Dunlap 5000 (series???) would be a superb choice for the FX (based on overall good scores in virtually all areas, including ice and snow handling). I am posting this here because all of us subjectively rate our tires, but empirical evidence such as those provided by consumer Report can help us choose better tires for our fxs.
  • dantedante Member Posts: 92
    Hi, I too live in Chicago. Own an FX35 AWD with the 20s. Sucks in snow and ice. Otherwise, the car is a blast to drive. If you refine your search for snow tires, please post as would like to piggy back off your research in addition to using my own. Thanks, Jon.
    the widht of the tires affect the snow traction.

so far ,i have learned on other sites devoted to infinity and not on this one ,that the best tire for crisp handling is the goodyear rsa.

the dunlops are not as sure footed and people ,not all, are getting rid of them.

the tdk,s are good also as a handling tire

but if you want to drive in snow you must go the 4 wheel snow tire route and a narrower tire .

becasue you are not allowed to postother web sites for reference here on this site ,( they are very insecure and thus not as good as the once were ) do a google on the tire that you want or fx 35 tires and follow it.

ffb
  • davej05davej05 Member Posts: 1
    Calgary is somewhat like Denver Weather wise. We get freak storms and long period of warm air then rain then snow. So, there is ice. hard packed snow which often turns wet within a couple days then it repeats.. I bought a set of rims and a set of Blizzaks. My FX35 is almost as much fun as in the summer to drive. The down side is the soft sidewalls, so you have to slow down for the corners :)...Seriously, the most control I have had in winter condition ever.
  • lirpa007lirpa007 Member Posts: 14
    I have the sport with 20" tires and had to put air in all the tires. I have only had the fx for 2 months, is this common even for a new fx? Does the pressure go out that quick? :surprise:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Tires typically lose air pressure through natural leakage and permeation at a rate of about 1 psi per month." (NHTSA)
  • lirpa007lirpa007 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the info. There are no nails or anything in the tires. My tires were at 27psi, I'm suspecting the dealer didn't put enough air in them to begin with. It's a good thing I have an air compressor!
  • aephemeaepheme Member Posts: 48
    I'm about to purchase an Infiniti FX35 and want to make sure it can handle itself in the snow / ice in northern Michigan. Looks like the reviews for the Blizzak DM-Z3 aren't bad... any opinions on the Sport Package?

I've heard that 20" tires are bad for snow / ice, but if I'm going to switch to some Blizzak's anyway... does it matter? Any opinions???
    Just bought 20 inch Bridstone Blizzaks DM-Z3s from Tire Rack for my 2004 FX35 AWD with Sport Package. Will let you know how they perform. I know I should have bought a wheel and tire combo in the 17 to 18 inch size (skinny is better in snow) but I love the 20 inch look and so am hoping the Blizzaks do the trick... Jon.
  • mharwoodmharwood Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking at used FX35s and don't want the sport package nor the 20" wheels/tires (I live in Cleveland where the roads are like downtown Beruit). Is there any stylistic difference between the 18s and the 20? Every car I see seems to have the same 8-spoke design. What, if any, are the differences so I can spot a car I might be interested in?

Thanks for your help.

-Matt
  • panamapetepanamapete Member Posts: 9
    Just bought a 2008 FX35 with sport packeage. Have had problems witth TPMS. Have had one sensor replaced twice. Is this a rare problem?
    Oh yeah, the Blizzaks are very good. Weathered my first snow and ice storm in Chicago over the weekend. The ice was very bad and the Blizzaks had amazing grip, even in 20 inch tire format. Started and stopped with no problem, very little if any sliding on icy curves. Great all around. Of course, you loose some road feel and performance but, hey, these are SNOW tires. Highly recommend them, the FX is a whole different car in the snow/ice now. Jon.
    Nope, never happened to me since I bought mine in 2004? Jon.
  • kcmom1kcmom1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought Yokohama tires for my FX45. Original tire size was 265 50 20, I bought 285 50 20. Has anyone put 285's on an FX45?
    I own a 2004 FX35 AWD Sport, Tech Package, 17,000 miles. Bought Bridstone Blizzaks this winter (awesome, even on 20 inch wheels). Couldn't put the OEMs back on, hated them. Bought from Tire Rack the Fuzion ZR1s. Fantastic summer performance tires. Excellent grip, car runs like a track car, corners that it's a beaut. AND better yet, rides quiet and much less jarring than the OEMs. Not to mention dirt cheap. Highly recommend them, especially those with the Sport Package. Jon.
  • ephysicsephysics Member Posts: 1
    Can you put 285's /50 20 on a stock FX45 20" rim?
  • azhaasazhaas Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the original tires on my 2004 FX35. I removed the Bridgestone Potenza tires and installed Yokohama YK520. The ride is fine (Arizona) but the tires look smaller in the wheel wells. Is it my imagination?
  • nellebnelleb Member Posts: 2
    I had wanted to order a F2009 FX 35 with a wheat interior and wood. In order to get this combination a have to order the package giving me 20 inch wheels rather than 18. I need advice on how 20's will change the ride. I currently lease a 2004 FX 35. The 2009 that I test drove was much much smoother than my 2004. Please ...some advice? I live in Connecticut, work in healthcare and must drive in all weather,
    at times before the plows...
    Thanks in advance!!
    I have a 04 FX 35 with 18" tires. Replaced the Potenzas with Yokahamas but need snow tires. I live in Michigan and thought I could get by without the snow tires but the white knuckle driving is too much. I will purchase Blizzaks, do I get the same size tire or a skinnier one? If anyone can help, please let me know.
  • jayrandalljayrandall Member Posts: 81
    Hey - I live in Chicago. Last year, I bought the Blizzaks for my 2006 FX RWD model. (moved here from southern california) Mine are 20's (sport package). They work great btw, and there was never any discussion about getting anything but the exact fit for my 20" wheels.

Good luck.
    Thanks Jay, Just checked out tirerack, they call for 265/60R18's. so that is the way I will go. Appreciate your input.
  • quelquel Member Posts: 1
    got a ? I just bought 285/50/20 tires for my fx35 do you this they will fit?
  • wheedler123wheedler123 Member Posts: 16
    For my lease return, I need to replace just one tire. Infiniti wants $300 for the tire. Do I need to get the exact matching one, or can I have a different brand, but keep the same size and speed rating? If I did it that way, I would save $150, but 1 tire wouldn't match. HELP! 265 60 18R 109V
  • deanniedeannie Member Posts: 13
    Hi:
    I've got the non-sport pkg 265/60 18's on my 06 FX35 and regretted not getting the sport pkg w/better handling/braking (and therefore better safety). 3 1/2 yrs later I decided to get lower profile tires, but as you may already know, there is no lower profile 265/55 or 265/50 in 18" wheel. You have to go down to 265/40 18, which do not have enough sidewall to carry the weight of our vehicles (from what I was told by tire rack). Despondent, I went to get the best Michelins (Lattitude Tour HP) in my stock size.

After costco told me I'd have to wait a week to get them in on order (nobody stocks that size), I held off (gret price though (little over $1000 installed out the door after $70 rebate) and went to Radial Tire in Silver Spring, MD. They do all tires but specialize in higher end makes. I lucked out and spoke w/Paul, the owner who is always there, and told him my story. He did some math, looked up a few different makes, and came up with something amazing. Our stock 18" rims are 8" wide which can take up to a 285 - that's right - 285 tire. We didn' want to change the overall diameter of the tire on the wheel, and the closest thing to perfect was a 285/55 18 tire.

I was skeptical at first because even though this combination is within 1-2 mm of the stock wheel/tire setup, and wouldn't rub the fender on straight ahead driving, I was concerned that the extra width of the tires (20mm wider means the tires are each extending 10mm to the left and 10mm more to the right) and might rub the fenders in extreme lock turns (turning steering wheel all the way left or right). He understood my concern, and reassured me that the setup would work. After explaining that I was leaving on Sat 11/21 for Thanksgiving up in NY, and that I needed the car to be right on Friday 11/20, he said he'd order a set of the Michelin Lattitudes in the stock 265/60 18 size just in case!!!! Wow! No tire dealer has ever volunteered to do something like that for me before.

I must add that my existing tires were still the stock Bridgestones which came with the car when I bought it new from an Infiniti dealer in Bethesda, MD. After returning to the dealer the day after I bought the car (it had a nasty steering wheel vibration) we all thought it just needed a wheel rebalance. They promptly did one for all 4 wheels, but the vibration was still there (marginally diminished). The next thing they tried a week later was to rotate front to back, and that again marginally diminished the problem, but the vibration was still there. After speaking to other knowledgable tire people (and another Infiniti dealer) the concensus was a tire out of round. Putting the fronts on the rear of the car helped, which showed that the bad seed was one of the rears now, but the Bethesda dealer said to drive around for a few thousand miles and to see how it is then. I said it was likely a tire out of round, and they said that the tires weren't part of the warranty and they couldn't do anything more for me. This, for a $40K new car only a few weeks old. I felt like I had bought a Nissan instead of an Infiniti (from a customer service perspective). Having been given the runaround, I have since given all my business to an Ellicott City, MD Infiniti dealer, and the treat me like gold, and a road force balance they did confirmed my left rear tire was out of round, and they balanaced it as best as possible (the vibration was reduced further still (Bethesda Infiniti did not even bother to do the road force balance - to avoid confirming my claim about the out of round tire no doubt!!!!!

Back to the good part - long story short, Paul he ordered the tires an they arrived Friday (both sets as promised). The285/55 18's (Pirelli Scorpion Zero V rated all seasons) fit perfectly, there's no fender rubbing anywhere, and after driving them home on the DC beltway yesterday, I have to say I love them!!!!! They were only marginally louder than the stock Bridgestones, they gripped better braked wayyyyyy better and responded better to quick lane changes (yes, I know any new tire will feel better than an old one, but driving the same roads with this car since new, I could recall how my car felt when new). And as an added bonus, my 3 1/2 yr old FX finally feels like a brand new car because the steering wheel has absolutely no shimmy or vibration - I couldn't be happier! And these sportier tires combined with the less harsh shocks of my non-sport pkg vehicle give me everything I wanted without the harshness (on bumpy/pothole ridden roads) for which sport pkg FX's are known.

As an aside, the 285/55 18 Scorpions I got are the original equip tires for the previous generation Mercedes ML AMG!!! which is a much heavier vehicle than the FX. Good luck to you!

Deannie
  • edgy99edgy99 Member Posts: 53
    My wife's 2005 FX 35 will need new tires soon. Great post Deannie, I also have had good service from Radial Tire of Silver Spring.

Can I ask how much the all-season Pirelli's were?
    Just had a set of Blizzaks put on my 2004 FX 35 with AWD and I now have steering wheel shimmy. I went back to the tire shop that mounted them (bought them from Tire Rack) and they rebalanced the fronts. The shimmy is still there but much less. Having said that, there should be no shimmy at all. Is this something I should have done at the dealer because of the fact you can't put weights on the outside of the wheels? Would they do the balance differently? Please let me know if you have experienced anything similar.
  • shorttermfx35shorttermfx35 Member Posts: 2
    I need to replace the original tires on my leased '07 FX35? Question is must I replace them w/ the factory tires or is it OK to replace w/ another quality tire of the same size? I really don't want to spend $1300-1400 on tires @ Christmas! Tires are down to 4/32 - please help. Need replacement now! Thanks!
    I would check the lease paperwork for any such stipulation, if unclear check with dealer. Can't imagine any penalty but better safe than sorry. Good luck.
  • edgy99edgy99 Member Posts: 53
    Don't do it. I just did a little research on Tirerack, and the Potenzas rank very low. I'm going with Yoko Avids when my wife's car needs tires, better rated and only around $125 per.
  • navboynavboy Member Posts: 32
    I am considering purchasing a 2010 FX35 with Tech Package. The tech package cannot be had without the Deluxe Touring Package. I would prefer the 18" wheels, rather than the 20" wheels the cars comes with. I do not know much about cars; can the wheels be swapped for 18"? I think 20" wheels create a firmer ride than the 18". I'm in the LA area.
  • shorttermfx35shorttermfx35 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks... I checked the language and it's a litte ambiguous and I thought the dealer would automatically tell me to stick w/ the OEM tires but I will give it a shot.
  • bctkorsbctkors Member Posts: 1
    The dealer should be able to swap out the wheels for you at no/little charge (or if they're being really nice a credit!)

If you do it after your purchase it will be much more expensive. And you're right that the 18s will offer a more compliant ride.
    just got the hankook 265 50 20 to replace my rsa's

big mistake

at speeds under 65 mph the tires are good .not as sharp handling as the rsa but very acceptable.

once you hit 80 mph what a dissapointment .the tires are all over the place and lack directional stability and if you change lanes at say 85 mph you will be scared to death as the car sort of dances or slides its front and rear end.

regret it

will go back to the rsa.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I had to get new tires before I returned my 2005 FX35 in 2009 because my OEM Bridgestone's were shot by 40k miles. I put on a cheap costing set of Yokies and they were great tires! The ride and handling was 5 times better than the Bridgestones though they did seem to be a tiny bit noisier and tended to flat spot in very cold winter weather but overall, for their price, I would recommend them to anyone as a replacement tire for the FX! Mine were int he 18inch tire size!

Yokohama AVID V4s were the tire I got I think! They were like $140-$150 a tire compared to the like $250-280 a tire they wanted for the OEM Bridgestones that came with the FX35!
  • ken1348ken1348 Member Posts: 1
    Is there an aftermarket shock/strut universal parts that will fit this FX35? I'd like to soften the ride comfort. Also, are the same OEM shock sizes used on the 2009 thru 2011?

Thanks
    Ken Moore
  • timkaytimkay Member Posts: 1
    OMG. I just did the same thing today. 08 fx 35 sport package with Goodyear OEMs and replaced with the hancook 265/50/20. Anybody know the return policy for tire rack if any? Drove maybe 10 miles back home from the shop. I also noticed these tires aren't as wide as the goodyears. Is it because they are touring and the goodyears are high performance? Wish I would have stuck with the goodyear rsa.
  • bigal080bigal080 Member Posts: 1
    What did you ever do about the Hankook? I got my fx used and It had Hankook tires already installed. I was trying to figure out what the original tire was on the car, when I found this blog! If it makes you feel any better I think I made a huge mistake too! I went this morning to put new shoes on my fx and the guy told me he had a great tire made by Hankook called Aurora! I never heard of it before, but I thought it was the name of the tire. I just got home to look up the reviews and I can't find any reviews!
  • nobadmojonobadmojo Member Posts: 2
    I realize I am responding to an old post, but I thought I'd relay my experience with a 2010 FX with the 20" wheels. The 20" wheels make the ride unforgivably harsh on anything but very smooth roads. If you live in the north where the concrete highways get uneven, you are in for a lot of bouncing and unevenness. Stay with the 18s.
  • flzzflzz Member Posts: 19
    What is the take on the best tire replacement for the Potenza 18in oem tire for my 08 FX35 awd? I live in NE ohio-Akron Canton. I"m at 44k and winter is coming.
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    I need to replace all tires on my 2009 FX35 AWD. I would like to get a tire that can handle at least light snow because live in the Chicago area. Anyone has experience between Yoko Parada and Yoko YK580?

Thanks.
  • julian_gjulian_g Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever decide or find out anything regarding the tires? I have the same car and just moved to the Chicago area. Any info would be appreciated.
  • flzzflzz Member Posts: 19
    Hankook Ventus has been a nice replacement
  • fx35genllfx35genll Member Posts: 1
    hi deannie, i realize your write up was done a while ago, but i currently have an 08 fx35 and i am faced with the same issue you described so well in this post. i am in need of replacing the stock potenzas and wondered if there was a lower profile tire i could buy that fits the stock 18 inch wheels. Well I found the same pirelli scorpion tires that you did and i wanted to know if you were really satisfied with them over the long haul. I am reading that they are unbelievably noisy and some people recommended staying away from them. Since it is confusing to know what the real story is I trust your recommendation simply by the way you wrote this very detailed post. Any feedback you can provide would be extremely helpful. Thank you and happy holiday!