Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    I have chosen 36 psi for my tire pressure. I really don't want to risk less control when the temperatures get cold, and in Indiana, they do get cold. Also, I want to try to maximize my FE. I had the dealer inflate to my specified 36 psi and the ride is no different except a little more accentuated thump over rear axle bumps. I also have a minor brake squeak when backing out of the garage in the morning. After the brakes warm up, it doesn't ever occur again.
    :)
    I used Turtle Wax ICE within the first month of ownership.
    It maintains a beautiful finish, is very easy to apply and looks terrifc.. I posted some pics on greenhybrid of the finish applied to my Mag Grey TCH and here is a link to the ICE product.
    :shades:
    http://www.turtlewax.com/ice/index.html
    :shades:
    Pic:
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image1511.html
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I can see it helping FE, I can't see it helping handling. People just don't make their tires rock hard to improve handling. But remember this is not a handling machine anyway. It leans and drives like a family sedan.

Actually, it's pretty common. Tire pressure affects sidewall stiffness, which can change the handling characteristics of the car. If you don't believe me, go down to any local autocross event. People are playing with tire pressures like crazy.

But I agree with you, it's a family sedan and handles like one. :)

tom
  • mndanmndan Member Posts: 4
    I have had my TCH for about a month. It's been great. However, I went to fill-up for just the second time, and the switch/button to open the fuel door did not open it. I looked at the manual which said sometimes it takes 10 seconds to open, but there should be some type of message that the system is de-pressurizing. I get no message, and no open fuel door.

I did unlatch the door manually from trunk and was able to slowly refill the tank.

I bring to dealer in 2 days. Any thoughts? I am also not sure if the eco button by the fuel door button is working properly (though I haven't been running the AC much). Could there be something that came loose, or a blown fuse?
  • skibeechskibeech Member Posts: 4
    Took possession of my new Barcelona Red TCH yesterday. Still learning all the features.
    Question about Extended Warranty.....I looked online and did some pricing for a Genuine Toyota Warranty. Took these figures to the dealer when I picked up the car. Florida is part of SET (Southeast Toyota) and they seem to have some sort of price control. Anyway, the dealer could not come close to what a dealer up north is offering it for. ny reason for not buying it from the other dealer up north with a better price????
  • faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    I actually got a SET warranty: before I got a refund on it...
    It turns out SET dealers sell the warranty backed by Fidelity Warranty Services. I looked them up with a search, and I was disappointed by what I found, so I got a refund on my $1255 platinum warranty. You can get a Genuine Toyota Motors Platinum for a couple of hundred less from some of the dealers mentioned in these forums.
  • faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    Can't help with fuel door, but if ECO is working it shows up on the A/C LCD display with a little "ECO" displayed...
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    I have noticed on the Edmunds site, your area of the country does have some "set" fees that other areas do not.

I use warranty direct. It lists only what they don't cover, as opposed to what they do. Makes it easier to understand. And they offer a warranty that wraps-around the already longer powertrain warranty. Several other companies are good, but I first heard of them on the Edmunds site. So far I have used them for three cars, never a problem. Besides, it makes it easier to sell when ready, and brings a better trade-in as well. :)
  • psepse Member Posts: 14
    I've had my TCH for about 24 hours now, and I'm absolutely loving it. I bought a desert sand mica colored one loaded with SR, leather, and NAV. Wasn't really looking for NAV, but that was all they had, so I took it. Could'nt be happier with the decision I made. The NAV is AWESOME!! Why I'm really posting though is to get some mpg info. Granted, I've only driven it about 100 miles, but I'm getting 35 mpg. I've been accelerating rather slowly, but yet my ICE comes on rather early during the acceleration. Has this been the experience of others? Also, what other techniques do I need to practice to maximaze my mpg? Anything I can do other than coast to stops, minimize acceleration, and utilize cruise? Will the mpg improve as the car "learns" my driving style?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Others here are far more informed than I am, but I can tell you that yes, it does "learn" your driving style.

Here are the EPA Estimated MPG figures:

MPG (city) 40
    MPG (highway) 38
    MPG (combined) 39

And the actual reported user stats are:

Average User MPG 36.2
    MPG Range 32 to 42

At $3.00 per gallon, regular, it looks like this:

Cost to Drive 25 Miles $1.92
    Fuel to Drive 25 Miles 0.64 gal
    Cost of a Fill-up $46.44
    Miles on a Tank 604 miles
    Tank Size 17.2 gal
    Annual Fuel Cost* $1154

* Based on 15000 annual miles and a fuel price of $ 3.00 per gallon .
    Fill-up cost and the distance you can travel on a tank are calculated based on the combined MPG and the assumption that you will re-fuel when your tank is 10% full.

So it appears, even brand new, you are right in there with the real-life figures. After the first 1000 miles you should be getting the same, somewhere between 36-42 MPG, according to what I have read in several Hybrid forums. :)

The car is made to use both the ICE and the electric system, so don't start with the mind-set that is a "bad" thing! Over 30 MPH or so, of course the ICE will take over. ;)
  • psepse Member Posts: 14
    Do you find that you really have to step on the gas very lightly to get going under battery power alone?
  • gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    You really need to catch up on TCH topics. I suggest that you move up one level in the discussion tree (Toyota Camry hybrid) and search for the word "pulse". Tricks are explained on the best ways to drive your Camry.

Remember this : In order to make the battery last longer, the battery power budget for "gliding" on electricity is 5 kW (6 HP), and that includes the power needed to run the air conditionner.
  • gc77584gc77584 Member Posts: 65
    I've been accelerating rather slowly, but yet my ICE comes on rather early during the acceleration.

As suggested, do a search in the main Camry Hybrid forum and/or the Camry Hybrid MPG forum on "pulse". The technique is called pulse and glide. There are a lot of posts on how to maximze FE. There are also a lot of good posts over on greenhybrid.com.

The short answer is: unless you're creeping from stoplight to stoplight, best practice is to accelerate normally and don't try to keep the engine from coming on. If you're in an area where you'll be around or under 40 mph, then accelerate normally up to about 40 mph, then ease off the gas pedal until you see no bars, then gradually apply pressure until you see the energy coming from the battery flowing to the wheels (what I see on my non-nav TCH).
  • aliminalimin Member Posts: 80
    Took delivery today on a non-nav JP TCH - wow and WOW! Paired the phone, switched to eco mode ac, pulsed and glided, and will leave the Sequoia in the garage until the snow flies here in Minnesota (even though gas prices went down 50 cents/gallon). Now I can put into practice all that I've learned from this site; thanks to everyone for their tips. More later.
  • mike0ryanmike0ryan Member Posts: 3
    Stumbled into a TCH at my local dealer at the end of July, and took the plunge.

The TCH replaces a 96 Camry LE. The 2007 feels bigger inside and I generally like the interior. My gripes are that the side windows seem shorter (doors higher) and the door post further forward (not as comfortable to hang my arm out the window). The inside door handles have sharp edges that make them unnecessarily uncomfortable to grab. The doors have to be opened very widely to get to the second notch to hold them open (a pain in tighter parking spots). The JBL stereo sounds great. Road/wind noise seem low to me; quieter inside than the 96.

IMHO the 92-96 was (and still is) the best looking Camry. The 2007 looks very much like its contemporaries, including the newer BMW 5-series. I do wish they hadn't thrust out the Toyota emblem to such prominence on the hood.

I'm surprised to find how much I like the keyless entry feature (one that I would have never considered asking for). The only downside is that the TCH seems to need to detect the key again whenever anyone opens/closes the passenger doors, and it doesn't always sense it in my pocket. I hate having to dig it out to bring it closer to the sensors.

The hybrid part as turned out to be fun. I'm just a sucker for the positive reinforcement the TCH gives you for fuel efficient driving (EXCELLENT!). Pushing 38 mpg on my third tank of gas. The frequent starting and stopping of the engine (at virtually every stop light) makes me worry a bit over wear and tear; considering an extended warranty. There's very little hesitation or stumbling as the computer shifts the car between motor/generator/engine. I don't think that drivers of regular Camrys would notice much of a difference if they moved over to a hybrid. No complaints at all about "performance" in the normal sense of the word. Accelerates rapidly enough when called upon and comfortably cruises at 80 mph.

Bottom line: so far, so good. Haven't regretted buying it yet. After the tax credit, I estimate I paid another $2500 for the privilege of having a hybrid, which means that it'll be five years before a break-even on fuel savings.

:)
    With that great sound system, you aren't really supposed to be ruining it, driving with your arm outside, you know.....

Besides it is safer to keep it in. :P
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    what do you guys think of the "drive" of the hybrid, in so far as its sportiness? Is it "sporty," at all, or is it a plain jane family sedan?
    Unless someone told you, and you noticed the silence when first moving, you couldn't tell the difference between it and the ICE Camry, IMO.
    does it drive more like an SE or the XLE?

I guess I should first ask if the SE drives any differently than the XLE, of course
    :P

It drives just fine.

What are your fears or concern :confuse:
  • lvwlvw Member Posts: 14
    The TCH ride is much closer to the XLE than the SE. I test drove all of them, and found the SE had a stiffer ride, less roll and quite a bit more road noise than the XLE or the TCH.
    Hi Terry. My concerns are that I am "afraid" (too strong a word) that the Camry will be "boring" to own.

My dilemna is that I'd like something that has some entertainment-value in driving it, but I want 35 mpg. Well, 30 mpg, at least. (Would love 40 mpg, but....)

Most of my miles are at 70+ mpg on a freeway (where going 65 is taking your life in your hands getting run off the road in the slow lane). I don't "need" a 4-door sedan, and I really wish Toyota would give me a two-door option in the hybrid department, but it doesn't look like that is gonna happen. I like the Accord Hybrid, but the style feels dated, and from the varying reports on the web, I'm not cofnident I can baby it and get the high MPG when I want.

So....
    thanks for the report on all three
    No worries, we have all been there. ;)

It's a great car, and with all the additional gadgets to watch, you will never be bored!

Get the NAV as well, though....
    I would buy the fully loaded version. I've been paying attention to other folks' posts.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    My dilemna is that I'd like something that has some entertainment-value in driving it, but I want 35 mpg

Tall order. I test drove the 4 cyl SE before my TCH came in just to see if I fit in the Camry with a sunroof and to see what a 4 cyl would feel like. The TCH has more power then the 4 cyl, but in my opinion, after owning several sports cars and sports sedans, this thing handles like a family sedan. Roads I normally took curves in at 60+mph will feel uncomfortable at more than 50 mph (my wife is griping).

However if you want FE of 35 there is no other choice UNLESS all your milage is highway and then the 4cy will get that possibly (then again at 100% highway use the TCH will probably do 40+)

As far as excitement are you meaning in the drive or the experience. It's not exciting to drive but it is constant addictive entertainment.

I highly recommend it.
    well, I'm coming off driving a convertible, which does not have an exciting road-feel, but at least I can have some fun by putting the roof down. The Camry won't give me that, and, no, a sunroof isn't the same. Still, I am in favor of hybrids, and I should put my money where my mouth is, but I really would like something that has some sportiness to it. :-( I was even willing to go small and drive a roadster, but none of them offer mpg over 30, so forget that.

I don't need to be able to take hairpin turns at 40 mph, but I would like to be able to accelerate on a freeway onramp (cloverleaf) and not feel like I am gonna rip the tires off the rams by going 5 mph over the recommended speed limit

a buddy of mine gets over 30 mpg highway in his new Lexus GS (non-hybrid)
    That $100,000, 120MPH electric car I posted should be just the thing for you, Alp....soooo low to the ground, and so narrow, it should be a thrill-a-minute, especially on the freeway! :P
    if the Tesla roadster was $60k, I might consider it

even the GS450H is too expensive for me. I can't help it if I am cheap.

If the GS450H got 35 mpg, it would be a harder decision

I wish the Accord got better MPG

I wish the Camry were sportier

I wish Lexus would hybridize the IS!!

I wish I wish
  • newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    Sorry for bringing this up on the Toyota Camry Hybrid forum but if you want a hybrid and want it to be "exciting" (or at least not boring) to drive, then you may want to wait for the forthcoming Nissan Altima Hybrid. The downsides are that the Nissan Altima Hybrid will not be out until at least February 2007 and even then it will only be available in the eight states that follow the California emission standards (California, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island and Connecticut). Plus, no one knows for certain how it will drive.

However, Altimas have generally been more "exciting" than Camrys, if you can avoid the torque-steer. If you're not in a hurry to purchase, it may be worth your while to wait and compare. Also, you are more likely to get the full Federal tax credit if you purchase the Nissan Altima Hybrid. (The full credit for the Toyota Camry Hybrid ends this month.)

You can go to Nissans website for more information on their 2007 Altima.
    thanks for bringing that up - it seems ON-topic, to me
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    As an owner of a TCH, and the previous owner of an HCH, let me assure anyone out there that hybrids are "fun to drive."

Most of the "fun" for me comes from using the car to reduce my gas consumption. That's VERY fun.

If you want a hybrid car to "drive fast" then buy a GS450h or an Accord Hybrid.
  • abbie5abbie5 Member Posts: 1
    When brake at high speed or low speed, I hear a "wheew" noise before the TCH comes to a stop. I hear it every time I apply the break. The noise is loudest just before the TCH comes to a full stop.

Anyone has experienced this?
    well, I drove an Accord Hybrid, today

are you telling me that the Camry Hybrid is LESS fun to drive than the Accord? (ignoring the fun of reading the NAV screen to see your energy savings/consumption)

I liked the drive of the Accord, but I didn't think it was that much better than my Sebring convertible.

damn, I wish Acura made a hybrid

:-(

I will try to drive the TCH this week, and I really hope I like it. I don't need to toss it around corners, but I don't want to feel like I am driving a damned Taurus!! (or a 4-cylinder Camry - and I know it will feel better than that)

Is the interior of the Camry Hybrid "nicer" than the Accord? I wanted to really like the Accord, but I came away a bit flat. :-(

Maybe that's how I'd feel driving ANYTHING that is going to get 30+ mpg.......
  • sallyspalsallyspal Member Posts: 31
    Its your brakes. Its perfectly normal (in the TCH) and part of the car's "charm."
  • sallyspalsallyspal Member Posts: 31
    With all due respect for Mr. Ghosen and Nissan Motors, they've come up short in overall quality lately, even more so when they try to rush a new car to market. I had an Infiniti (Nissan product) that was fundamentally sound but plagued by all sorts of relatively minor, but annoying electrical, mechanical and software-related problems. I know the new Camry hasnt been a slam-dunk either, but I think I'd wait awhile before commiting to the new Altima hybrid.
    I had a 2000 Maxima, a 2003 350 Z and an Infiniti FX45.

The maxima had rotor problems (turn at 10,000, replace at 20,000) I traded it. The Z had alignment problems and went through tires at 6000 miles I traded it. I loved the FX45 but it always had a slight shimmy that I couldn't get rid of and I blamed it on the 20" wheels. Traded it for the TCH.

Nissan makes a sporty car but their quality left me wanting more.

I even dumped their stock I owned as I figured these issues would hurt them eventually
  • newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    For the record, I definitely don't disagree that the quality standards of Nissan (and Infiniti) are not quite the match of Toyota (and Lexus). I was simply stating that if alp8 finds the Toyota Camry Hybrid to boring, then if he can wait he may want to take a look at the Nissan Altima Hybrid. His choice, that's all.
    Approaching 300 miles on my JP nonav TCH today (delivery last Thursday). And with a 1/2 tank of gas remaining - all after normal city/highway driving! (I find that amazing, because my other vehicle is an '05 Sequoia).
    More comments from other drivers, too - parked at a gas station, grocery store and work, folks near the car have said they really like the color and want to know about how it drives and the hybrid system. They're amazed, too, when I silently pull away! I'm looking forward to a 500 mile round trip in a few weeks to visit grandchildren - and not stopping to get gas!
    I was next to a red TCH yesterday, and I rolled down my window to chat with the guy. He just got it and loves it.

I planned to drive one today, but work is too hectic. It will have to wait for next week.

Is the interior of the non-NAV the same as the interior With nav (other than the screen, of course)??? I want a NAV but the local dealer only has a non-NAV in stock. I assume they both drive the same.

any differences that will make my experience testing it worse in the non-NAV?

I just drove an Accord Hybrid. What was Honda thinking, not putting energy info into the NAV system screen? I think that is a big [non-permissible content removed]. The energy readouts on the Accord H are tiny.
    With the Navigation Option (Option Combo "C", MSRP $3,900), you get:

50 State Emissions (FE)

- Comfort & Convenience Package Includes: Heated Front Seats and Outside Mirrors. (CQ)

- Moonroof Package includes: Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sliding Sunshade, Dual Illuminated Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Dimmer Control & Rear Personal Reading Lights (SR)

- Sport Leather-Trimmed Seats & Door Trim w/Integrated Armrests & Dual Front & Rear Map Pockets[15] (LA)

- Voice-Activated DVD Navigation System[15] w/JBL® AM/FM 4-Disc In-Dash CD Changer w/Satellite Radio Capability[7], MP3/WMA Playback Capability, Aux Audio Jack, Hands-Free Phone Capability Via Bluetooth®[8] Wireless Technology, 8 Speakers in 6 Locations and FM Diversity Reception (NV)

Well worth it, I might add...so how it will effect your test drive depends upon how much you like leather seats and upgraded sound. ;)
    sorry if I wasn't clear: If I buy, I would buy the NAV version

but I can only see and drive the non-NAV right now.

so I wanted to know if the interior LOOK was significantly different, such that I'd walk away thinking the Camry interior is crummy looking

It sounds like there are some visual differences (other than the Nav screen itself) that are different if you get the nav version: door trim and arm rests, I guess
    I just drove an Accord Hybrid. What was Honda thinking, not putting energy info into the NAV system screen? I think that is a big [non-permissible content removed]. The energy readouts on the Accord H are tiny

I have not seen the HAH but I understand that the ICE never kicks off and that the battery boost is much smaller with their V6 system. That might be why there is not much info on the energy part as other than not lead footing it there is probably not much you can do (such as pulse and glide, EV mode driving, etc..) that you need to monitor. Just let the car do it's job and drive?
    I can't answer your questions because the dealer didn't have a nav version to drive - about the only test drive I did was a normal '07 LE. And my impression after driving both is that the TCH is far quieter. Besides, the JP TCH I now own was the only one the dealer had coming in that wasn't sold before the end of September. Another reason I purchased Toyota over Honda is the dealer location - Toyota is only 4 miles away vs. 35 for a Honda store - makes service much more convenient. Good luck with your purchase...whichever hybrid model you chose, you'll be helping the environment as well as saving fuel.
    "It sounds like there are some visual differences (other than the Nav screen itself) that are different if you get the nav version: door trim and arm rests, I guess"

Yes, I knew exactly what you were saying, which is why I pasted in the exact differences, trim-wise, in the NAV package.

I beleive the seat coverings, seat-back map pockets, door trim and all of that signifigantly changes the visual appeal.... ;)
    well, not to lead us down the Honda versus Toyota comparo rathole.....yes, the ICE appears to kick off in the HAH, as I felt a little shudder when I pulled into a left-turn lane and waited to turn. I HOPE that was the ICE turning off!!!

:-)

I would buy the HAH if it was a step closer to being an Acura. I would like a bit of plush inside, or a bit of nifty, I guess. The HAH didn't give me that. I think the HAH is about as cool of a car as you can get that gets 30 mpg.
  • gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    Before my no-nav, loaded, TCH, I had a 1996 Avalon (definitely NOT sporty). The TCH has sportier front springs and shocks, however it understeers quite a bit. But Toyota forgot to take care of the rear. It barely stays in control riding 2 people, but becomes seriously undersprung and underdamped when carrying 5 (not even with luggage).

I have Michelins on it and they are designed for fuel economy and durability - I hope my next set (Nokian NRHi ?) will give a grip that approaches the Avalon's. I am seriously planning to replace rear springs and shocks, just waiting to what is offered on the market.

Aside from the compromised speakers, the overbright radio console, the suspension and the unavailability (yet) of Thule roof rack kits, I love my TCH.
  • jeffoisjeffois Member Posts: 5
    Funny, I just got a Red Camry Hybrid...I was about to post about how cool it was that the other day, someone rolled his window down to ask me about it, and how fun it was to drive a car that someone else would be that interested in.

Alp8, you weren't driving on Carman Ave. in East Meadow when this happened, were you?

I LOVE this car. Mileage is nice, and it's improving as I'm learning the subtleties of the engine. I like the look, no longer the fuddy-duddy car Camrys once were. I probably would have gotten a regular Camry if the Hybrid wasn't available. They thought of lots of little things.

I do lots of local driving, so I appreciate the fact that the car does particularly well in that setting. And I like the feedback it gives. Pickup is good. Better than the four, but not as good as the six on my dad's 2005 Camry. Certainly better than the four on the Passat I just gave up.

Mostly, I like that I'm lowering the nation's dependence on oil, and I'm spewing less junk into the air.
    how fun it was to drive a car that someone else would be that interested in.

I had a friend call me from a dealership asking me to look up a price on a used car for him. They were having an "invatory reduction sale" and were real busy. After looking up and giving him the price I decided to drop down to see how he was doing. After I talked to him and was getting ready to leave one of the salespersons approached me. I told him I was just there to see a friend. He said "oh no, I just wanted to ask you how do you like the hybrid?" He proceded to ask me a lot of questions. I'm guessing I am the only person he knows that when he asked what kind of milage I was getting I was able to tell him my overall milage average to the nearest hundredth of a mpg.
    nope - I was in Palo Alto, on the Page Mill offramp off 280
  • jeffoisjeffois Member Posts: 5
    That's only 3,000 miles apart! It's like we're related or something!