Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

New Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• Options
    satchselmersatchselmer Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, I'm not enjoying it at all. After exactly 1 day's use, the Camry Hybrid 50th anniversay "loaded" model completely ceased to function. It's now been with the deal for 3 days. They have no clue. The interior system lights come on, and you can run the audio system etc, but the car won't move. The Ready light does not come on but many other "problem indicator" lights do come on. VERY DISAPPOINTED. This car is clearly not ready for broad based distribution to the public. It's way too glitchy, as you can readily see from many other posts about battery discharges (not the problem in my case), rattles, rough transitions, etc. Too bad. I love the hybrid concept and was ready to be an early adapter. But this car doesn't fill the bill. Back to the drawing board for Toyota. To others out there, don't do this. Buyer beware.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    There are tens of thousands of happy TCH owners in the world.

The car is by far ready for prime time.

You cannot take one example (your car) and a few anecdotal rattles (happens in ANY "new" model year car) and declare that the TCH is "not ready for prime time." That's just silly talk.

I've got 12,000 trouble free, RATTLE FREE, GLITCH-FREE miles on my TCH. Toyota is not new to the hybrid world, and they know when a car is "ready" for the public.

And the TCH is and has been READY.

Buyers, lay down your money and get prepared to be happy.
  • Options
    regal1945regal1945 Member Posts: 25
    So you got a lemon, suck it up and make lemonaid. What is warrentee for???
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Owner experiences and opinions about vehicles are like mileage... yours may vary. But a difference of opinion about a vehcile is not a personal challenge or insult that requires some kind of retaliatory response.

Back to the discussiion...
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    as you can readily see from many other posts about battery discharges

Uhhh, many? I remember one person with that problem.

But this car doesn't fill the bill. Back to the drawing board for Toyota. To others out there, don't do this. Buyer beware.

I realize you have a right to be frustrated, even angry. But there's too many of these out there with no problems to condem the whole bunch. I'm sorry for your experience. Mine has been pretty much trouble free for 20,000 miles. Hang in there and it will all work out.
  • Options
    gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    Here is an update about driving a TCH in Montreal's winter:

1- As I expected, cold starting never was a problem. It does get much colder in the Prairies (Canadian mid-west), so maybe someone there can comment further.

2- Mileage was up to 25% lower : 21 usgpm vs 28 usgpm in city driving. Now that temperatures are coming up again, mileage is coming back up.

3- TOYOTA take note : That little fuel economy gauge behind the wheel stayed uselessly out of range - I did not see it for weeks (until I drove the car out to a ski area).

4- Fuel economy was degraded for many reasons:
    a) fuel mixture is richer for a long time until the ICE warms up
    b) At 0°F, waiting at a traffic light, if you run the heater fan at the 3rd mark, you can actually see the engine temperature slide down when the ICE is stopped ! If you pull back the heater fan to the 1st mark, in the ECO mode (which excludes Defrost mode) you can decrease the ICE duty cycle from 80% to 30%.
    c) Denser air causes more drag (3-4 mpg at 70 mph)
    d) Winter tires don't seem to have much of an impact (maybe 1-2 mpg)
    e) Anti-slip, ABS and Vehicle Stability Control were fine

5- The front skirt is so low that :
    a) my car got stuck in a parking lot, because it was attempting to do the snow plow's job
    b) the lower plastic part is already broken
    c) I know this is a feature, not a bug, designed that way to reduce drag. TOYOTA take note: Make it strong enough to meet with snow, or make it removeable for the winter.
  • Options
    newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    I have had my Toyota Camry Hybrid since late September 2007 and have had only one problem with it. Strangely enough, it was about 3 days old when I had returned it to the dealer overnight after having a dealer-accessory installed. But when I picked it up the next night, it would not start. Fortunately, I was at my dealership when this happened. Indeed, it was one of the service managers who first tried, unsuccessfully, to start my car.

To say I was upset would be an understatement. Indeed, since I had the car for less than a week, I told the dealer that I was cancelling the sale if the car was not in perfect working order when I returned the next evening. Fortunately, for both them and me, it was. I have not had a single problem since.

Here is a brief thread on the problem I encountered: problems with my Camry

It is so similar to the problem you've had with your car, I think it could be the same thing. If it is, the good news is the problem can be permanently fixed.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "To say I was upset would be an understatement. Indeed, since I had the car for less than a week, I told the dealer that I was cancelling the sale if the car was not in perfect working order when I returned the next evening. Fortunately, for both them and me, it was. I have not had a single problem since."

More fortunate for you. I'm not sure about your state, but here in CA, once you sign the papers and drive the car off the lot, it is your car, and cannot be returned unless the dealer is willing to take it back (unlikely), or it falls under the lemon laws.
  • Options
    voxlocusvoxlocus Member Posts: 7
    My TCH is pretty basic. No sunroof. Cloth upholstery. While I actually like the way the sorta' silly spoiler looks, I sure wouldn't have paid the $250 for it. Car stickered just short of $28k. Traded in 2002 cherry lo-mileage VW Beetle Turbo and wrote ck for $16,250. Gave my 2006 Civic EX to my daughter after taking back the VW to trade.

This may seem strange, but I "cross-shopped" the 2007 Honda CR-V. I like the CR-V a lot, but what decided me on the Camry were the user comments about both. Drivers who loved their CR-Vs all but unanimously reported that the CR-V "road noise" didn't bother them so much. I was looking forward to getting out of the Civic because even with hushmat and quiet tires, the road noise, well, it bother me . . .

By contrast, everyone who had a Camry reported it was "quiet."

Quiet is good, especially on long drives.

My TCH is very quiet. Not tomblike as the Lexus 350 is described, but very, very quiet.

I chose the Hybrid for several reasons. I've read the 3.5L 6 cylinder Camry has a lot of torque steer. Having had a previous Nissan Maxima torque steer itself right out of my hands, I can do without that.

The Hybrid has more oomph than the 4 cylinder, though I doubt the hybrid's fuel savings will pay back the premium for the Hybrid system. Or it will take a very long time, or a new fuel crisis.

Still, the TCH is very pleasant to drive. I am extremely confident getting on the freeway, something I had to watch carefully in the Honda Civic, often dropping (per owner's manual suggestion) into 3rd from drive when entering an on ramp.

The Camry is NOT a sports car. It is NOT sporty. HALLEJULAH! Maybe I'm getting really old, or maybe I've just outgrown being influenced by those professional auto reviewers who would have us drive around with skateboard suspensions and low profile tires. Maybe those guys get subsidized not just by the car ads in their magazines, but by Preparation-H. I've had several cars like that and ended up getting depressed anytime I had to take a trip longer than 20 minutes.

Though not sporty, the TCH is no barcolounger, either. I was on the freeway a couple of days ago and a truck in front of me locked its brakes so tight black smoke poured off its tires. I put my foot into the Camry's brakes, I guess meeting the brake assist for the first time, and the car JUST STOPPED, all the time under control. Had it not come to such a fast stop, I could have pulled around the truck ahead of me.

MPG? "My" salesman pointed out a selling seminar he attended taught him there's a "sweetspot" at 64 MPH. I've tried it, and the dashboard gauge is usually pegged at 60 MPG, though it will read a bit worse in a headwind. I'm getting an overall 37+ and on the highway in the mid 40s. The weather has been pretty mild for those who follow temps.

The dash MPG gauge clearly shows the benefits of surge and coast. It seems strange not to "ease" the car away from a stop, but getting to the speed limit faster than backing off makes a large difference in overall MPG. Must be the Atkinson cycle engine and the CVT type transmission, plus getting the batteries in play.

I'm only on my third tank, so I'm hardly a long-termer. But my first impressions are more favorable this far in than with any vehicle I've owned.
  • Options
    lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    May wife and I own both cars you cross shopped, a TCH and new CR-V. We've taken 1,000+ mile trips in both.

The difference in road noise between the two isn't much. It varies depending on road surface, from non-existent to slight. But, yes, the quieter nod goes to Camry.

But the CR-V is superior in several areas: its more comfortable seats, road visibility, and of course foul weather handling.

Alas, when it comes to gas mileage, it's no contest. A trip to the SF Bay Area last weekend resulted in round trip mileage of 39.6.
  • Options
    Ah. Glad to know comparing the two isn't so strange!

I really do like the CR-V and the front seats are great. Though I didn't find the back seat as good, and as we have a child still at home, the back seat mattered. Plus my wife already has and loves her Subaru Forester, so it seemed a good idea to do what you've done, and have one of each type vehicle.

My Honda noise experiences (2001 Odyssey van and 2006 Civic EX) have NOT been good. The 2001 Odyssey van was a disaster everyone in my family hated. Took a loss on it 3 months after purchase and bought a Caravan. Fortunately, the "loaded" Caravan cost so much less than the Odyssey, it was a wash.

The '06 Civic is a fine little car, but after a 100 mile trip I frequently have to make for business, I was exhausted by noise and the driver's seat which almost but didn't quite fit. (Diet, Vox!) That after lining all the floors/doors with hushmat and changing the tires to the ones Consumer Reports said are the quietest.

Thus when it came time to coin flip, I read evereyone's comments (like yours, Camry, quieter) and went that way.

As to your "gas alas," well, I guess you could have bought a CR-V EX-L Nav and paid more than I paid for my Camry, but there's a lotta' CR-V models which cost enough less to make the MPG savings in the TCH meaningless, though it is nice to burn less hydrocarbons for good ole' mama earth.

And, compliments to Honda, the CR-Vs all come with ALL the safety gear including stability control. One clincher for the Hybrid is it cost LESS than the only (hyperloaded) 4 cylinder I could find with stability control within several states . . .
  • Options
    I've never understood why Honda has been slow to deal the problem of noise. My '98 Accord was noisy. I test drove an '06 CR-V and new Civic. Both were too noisy. The new CR-V model is much better.

Buying the hybrid version was the only way I could get a Camry with stability control and without a moonroof in the northwest region. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, although the Camry's auto climate control system is automated to the point of inflexibility. Even with the auto featured turned off, it will sometimes override driver settings. But that's a small complaint in an otherwise excellent car.
  • Options
    I was "told" that Honda doesn't do so much with sound isolation because it raises the weight of cars and decreases mileage and performance. I've also read reviews of the Acura RDX (a CR-V on steroids) which certainly make one ill-disposed to drive a skateboard while enduring whine---for $10k more than the nicest CR-V. A pretty high price for 0 to 60 in 1.5 sec. less, not to mention the terrible reported MPG for the RDX. Not to mention, again, the noise . . .

Interesting that you wanted the stability control and no sunroof. Before giving my Civic to my daughter we looked at Nissan Versas, econo-cars which are quieter. There's no stability control. Anti-lock brakes are a $250 option. There's lots of Versas around with expensive sunroofs, fancy steros and Bluetooth, nice as Bluetooth is. But try to find one with anti-lock brakes. Maybe NOT having the cell phone glued to your ear is safer than brakes which keep you from skidding into the car in front of you you were too busy gabbing to notice. Why not both?

I don't know about the NW, but down here in Okiehoma, we live under the thumb of Gulf States Toyota, a regional distributor. MANY if not MOST of their cars have $350 wax jobs and $1300 "extra value packages." I waxed the new car myself, and put the $4 door edge protectors on. My insurance covers towing, but I do need to drop by the auto parts store and get some "wheel locks" for $16. That's about $1650 saved by driving to Missouri, outside the Gulf States region! Who wants to "start" negotiating a car purchase $1650 of distributor "pack" in the hole?
  • Options
    we live under the thumb of Gulf States Toyota

Living in an area that's not under this thumb, nor the SET finger, it's hard to believe Toyota (and consumers) put up with the fees and add ons. People need to vote with their wallet. I like my Toyota but it has to be somewhat price competitive. My 4Runner is a little more than a domestic, but the resale is as well. However if I had to tack on an additional grand or two I would not have bought it. (There was nothing comparable in the domestics for my TCH)

I can't imagine how many Toyota's would be sold in the US if these two regions did not operate like they do.
  • Options
    stalnakerstalnaker Member Posts: 72
    Where can you get $4 door edge guards? Are they designed to match the color of your Camry? One of my passengers recently opened the back passenger door and hit a metal garbage can, causing a small paint chip on the edge (not that noticeable but it really pissed me off). I have some touch-up paint, but am trying to learn the best way to apply it so the repair isn't noticeable. I would prefer to avoid this type of damage in the future.
  • Options
    I picked mine up at the nearby auto parts store, 2 pair @ like $4 each, $8 total. They're TrimBrite CLEAR (transparent) door edge guards. They have an adhesive inside the U shaped plastic guard. I Googled them and found this link: http://www.autobarn.net/dooredmol.html

But you can probably just walk into whatever car parts store is near you. I think I was at AutoZone, but honestly, didn't pay any attention to the store name.

The TRICK is to have the car really clean and press the door edge guards on when it is quite warm, over 65 F for sure. Over time, they may get dirty --- but at $8 when you want new, go for it.

I had to trim mine some because of all the creases in the Camry sheet metal.

I tried to post pictures, embed pictures, link to pictures. All very confusing. It seems there are some pictures in a CarSpace Picture Album entitled " Clear Door Edge "

Wish I knew how to get them here!
  • Options
    johnchaujohnchau Member Posts: 2
    Keith,

Congratlations! Would you mind tell me how much you paid for the TCH on the ground (price with tax & Admin fees). I plan to have a TCH as well. But I still some concerns about the cold weather like ON affect the battery and the mileages. Would you please tell me something about it. Thanks!

John Chau
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    John, I purchased a fully loaded TCH in January from Cornwall Toyota (didn't want to deal with the large dealerships in Ottawa). I wouldn't worry about the cold weather effects on the battery. Toyota has not replaced one yet and they've been selling hybrids in different climates for over ten years. Actually, an added benefit with the TCH electric motor is that the vehicle warms up quicker.

As with any vehicle, cold weather will affect mileage. However, compared to my 2002 4cyl XLE (which I traded) mileage improved by approx. 30% in city driving. On the coldest days, combined fuel consumption was between 35 and 38 MPG's. My last 2 fill-ups returned 43 and 42 MPG's.

With the $2,000.00 provincial tax rebate and the new $1,500.00 federal tax rebate choosing the TCH is no brainer (unless you need the additional trunk space). Particularly with the added features the TCH has over an LE. This is my fourth Camry. The TCH is the quietest, smoothest, most solid and luxurious to date (touch wood). It's a technological marvel. Unless, there aren't too many available (thanks to the rebates) you should be able to negotiate between $1,000.00 and $1,500.00 off MSRP.

Good luck
  • Options
    johnchaujohnchau Member Posts: 2
    Keith, Thanks for your great info.
  • Options
    pgnycpgnyc Member Posts: 5
    Hi !
    Looking to buy a camry hybrid and i have questions:

how many smartkey did you get ?

how do you handle with parking valet ????

thanks
    Pascal
  • Options
    I received 2 smart keys with the TCH. As for the valet (I've never use them) is the issue with giving them the smart key or the fact that they may get out of your car and leave it on? There are some humorous stories on that.
  • Options
    swvswv Member Posts: 7
    I love my TCH. Have over 6000 miles on it now, and as the weather warms up I'm getting better mileage. You can find me on greenhybrid.com, where I am keeping a log of miles driven and gas used. See Cheery Cherry TCH. My total mpg thus far comes out to 36.3, but in this warmer weather I'm getting closer to 40 lately. Yesterday while driving for half hour on level roads ( a rarity in our area) I was getting around 50 mpg.

As for the keys, I tried to get my dealer to throw in more than two keys, but they are costly, so that didn't fly. I received two. The good news about the TCH is that at least the version I have, it is well nigh impossible to lock oneself out of the car. The car refuses to lock when the key is inside, and you have turned it off and are trying to lock it, at least thus far in my experience.

As for the valet question, the salesman showed me how you can slide one part of the key out of the rest of it, so you can give it to someone in valet parking. I've only once had a valet park another car of mine, so do not expect to even use the valet key part of the key. It is funny though...I am so trained now to just walk near my car and expect it to unlock that I found myself doing it to our nonhybrid car a Honda Accord.

Best wishes with your purchase!
    swvsings
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    "...As for the valet question, the salesman showed me how you can slide one part of the key out of the rest of it, so you can give it to someone in valet parking...."

Actually, if I read what you have written the correct way, it will not work. They will have the metal key, and can open the door, but will not be able to start the car, if the FOB is not inside the car. I think you just give them the FOB, and instructions how to start the car, but by now, I bet most vallet services have seen the smart key system on the various car models it comes with, and are fully aware how to use it.
  • Options
    bolillobolillo Member Posts: 4
    I recently traded in a '96 Camry with 193K miles on it for a TCH and I absolutely love it. I'm one of these drivers who maximizes the mpg and I'm averaging around 44 right now (in Central Texas). Granted, after driving a '96 for so many years I'm easily impressed, but here is what I like best:

1. The great mpg, complete with all the gauges I need to help keep it high
    2. The silence of the interior while driving...fantastic
    3. Handling. I'm not an expert in this but I feel 100% in control of this vehicle
    4. Luxury amenities like 6-disc changer, motorized seat adjustment, self-adjusting rearview mirror. I bought a basic model (with only sound-proofing kit and floor mats as upgrades) but I feel like I'm driving a luxury car

Here is what I would love to see improved (and this is all small stuff):
    1. Trunk space. I've taken several trips over the past few years that filled the '96 Camry with stuff; the TCH definitely doesn't have that space
    2. Extendable visors or double visors for when you're driving into the sun, but constantly making turns. This requires you to constantly duck your head or swivel the visor every time you turn...very annoying
    3. Windshield wiper settings with more options than just slow, medium and fast
    4. Being able to always turn the A/C or heater on in Eco mode. If I turn on Eco mode, then turn the car off, when I get back into the car and turn on the A/C again the Eco mode is off. With the Eco button being out of the way (right next to the 'Open Gas Tank' button) I usually forget to press it again.
    5. If I hit the button to turn the windshield defroster on, it turns off the 'Recirculate Air Only' light. Fine. But if the fan is off I can't turn the windshield defroster off to get the recirculate air going again. You'd think I could just press the latter and that would be it, right? Actually, I have to turn the fan on to be able to turn off the windshield defroster. I don't use the A/C in during my morning commute unless I have to defrost the windshield so this happens quite often. The less I'm fooling around with buttons while I'm driving the better.
    6. The way the windshield slopes I sometimes have a difficult time seeing cars coming from the right or left at intersections or when I'm making turns. For some reason the visibility was much better in my '96 but I'm getting used to it. Same with the blind spot too, actually.

Anyway, I really wanted to get a high mpg car and was pleasantly surprised to find I love the TCH. I never expected to buy another Camry after having driven one for so long but it's a totally different car. I test drove an Accord Hybrid (not great mpg) and an Altima for kicks and didn't feel comfortable in either. Now if you could just make a Highlander Hybrid that gets this kind of gas mileage my wife could get one...we're hopefully a few years from replacing her Explorer so hopefully by then there will be better options for hybrid SUVs.
  • Options
    stalnakerstalnaker Member Posts: 72
    Sound-proofing kit? Toyota makes this as an option? If so, please tell me how to find this and what it costs to have installed.

Thanks!
  • Options
    tomqtomq Member Posts: 10
    Question to anyone on W Wipers. It is a 3 speed but no intermittent setting for a light drizzle?

Picking mine tch up this week, hopefully.

Thanks. Tom
  • Options
    It DOES have a variable intermittent setting.
  • Options
    tomqtomq Member Posts: 10
    Awwwright. All I need. Wheeeeeee, near 70 and still like my toys.............. Can't wait till I drive it home........ Thanks ............Tom

Intermittent and 3 speeds. Never stop me from a trip. CVT, hybrid, increasing mpg............. new techie stuff to learn............. WOOOOPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    bolillobolillo Member Posts: 4
    It was called the 'Vehicle Shield Package', $349
    Includes:
    Lusterizing Sealant
    Sound Shield
    Sealant Cleaner
    Rental Car Assistance

The sound shield is some sort of undercoating sprayed underneath the car. I didn't pick the option; it just happened to be on the car that I got the best price for.
  • Options
    Oh, you guys !! LOL !! ROTFLMTO !!!

"Soundproof Spray"

That's a good one !! That dealer oughta get points from Toyota just for sheer creativity !!!

LOL !!! LOL !!!!
  • Options
    "Soundproof Spray"
    They used to sell that as rustproofing, but when people found that it could actually trap water(that's opinion_of many) AND the fact that the car already has a factory rust proofing warranty, then they had to call it something else. Why not just quit doing it? Well, they had the investment in the equipment and a can of tar probably only cost $15 so why not? Actually it probably does provide some level of soundproffing, but probably minimal. Perhaps it quietens the noise when a stone comes up and hits the bottom of the car. :confuse:
  • Options
    mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    I'm approaching the 20k mark on my TCH--19.5k at this writing. Its about 10 months old--yeah, I drive a lot.

I've been 100% satisfied with this car since day one and still am. I have not had a single glitch (at least that was the car's fault--a rock hit my windshield but I can hardly blame the TCH!)

My mileage has been going up and up lately--getting around 38 mpg. For the life of the car, I'd around 36.5.

Acceleration is good, braking is good, it handles well, smooth, quiet, and the audio is top quality. I use the bluetooth every single day. No regrets.
  • Options
    To date below is my total cost to own. With the State and Federal Tax Credits deducted from the $500 under MSRP purchase price, I figure my salvage value (trade in price) is the same as my total cost thus a net "$0" payment (ignoring the time value of money of course). I just replaced the Bridgestones at no cost with the Dealers Tires for Life program. Maintenance costs have been reasonable. Only overkill on maintenance is the dealer requires balancing every 5000 miles, but the total cost of maintenance is less than what a set of tires would have been.

The Bridgestones suck, but hey, the second set was free. I think the dealer would have been better off putting something on that was longer wearing. I think when I suggested the Michellin's they thought I was just wanting to waste their money. It would have saved them in the long run.

The MPG's calcilated below are the long hand manual calculation, a milage corrected calculation and the theoritical car computer reading calculation. I believe the milage corrected one to be the most accurate. You can see that the indicated (by the car computer) runs high and the manual calculation runs low (due to the speedo error). You can pretty well figure that if you manually calculate your mileage that the actual is almost half way between what the car computer reads and what you manually calculate. There are several threads where this is discussed back in 2006.

GASOLINE TOTAL $1,770.82
    MAINTENANCE TOTAL $366.26
    INSURANCE TOTAL $1,260.00
    PAYMENT TOTAL $0.00
    TOTAL COSTS $3,397.08
    TOTAL MILES DRIVEN 24,912
    TOTAL COST PER MILE $0.136

TOTAL AVERAGE mpg 37.73
    GASOLINE COSTS PER MILE $0.071

Calculated MPG 37.73
    Corrected MPG Calculation 38.29
    Indicated MPG on trip computer 38.89

All in all it's been a great ownership so far.

Compared to the Infiniti that I traded I have saved almost $10,000 in one year with the tax credit, gas savings, insurance savings, lower payment (went ahead and paid it off)and lower maintenance costs
  • Options
    thaipthaip Member Posts: 32
    Does any of the new camry hybrid owner purchase the extra warranty for the car? The dealer I purchased my car from tends to be very pushy about pressuring me into buying the extra warranty for the car. I decided not to buy it. Anyone out there purchase it?

thanks
  • Options
    Consumer Reports has been adamant for years that these extended warranties are a waste of your money. How much of a waste? I was buying a Dodge van and the warranty was quoted at about $900. Then $600. Then less. Think. You have a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty and they have your money. If you drive more than 36,000 miles in three years, you will then get to deal with the fine print and deductibles in the policy the dealer is trying to sell you. JUST SAY NO. If you're a cash buyer, put the money you would waste on the warranty in a savings account. You'll PROBABLY come out ahead in the end. If you're thinking of adding the warranty to a payment schedule, remember you'll be paying INTEREST for years for a warranty you couldn't even use until the mfg. warranty runs out. Again - - - JUST SAY NO!
  • Options
    gampagampa Member Posts: 78
    I said Yes to the extended warranty... Since the warranty is a zero deductable , and through Toyota themselves, I felt it was a safe bet.
    I have had numerous models... some with no problems, other with seems like a major problem every year. For the few that were outside the warranty period, I was lucky that the Car company gave me a "one time offer of good faith" because it was just a few mile out side of warranty.
    After that I felt my luck may be running out and besides the Camry Hybrid is soooo complicated, something is bound to break with in the years it is covered.

Online they can be purchased for between $600+ to $1000... depending on length.

Peace of mind is not cheep... but once it is paid for , it is honored through every Toyota dealership... and as an added bonus if you sell the car...I believe it can be transferred once for a $50 transfer fee.

Gampa
  • Options
    I chose not to buy the extended warranty on my TCH. While hybrid cars are potentially more expensive to repair, Toyota provides extended coverage for hybrid components of 8-10 years/100-150k miles, depending on state.

Extended warranties seem to (mostly) extend the general 3-year/36K mile stuff where Toyota has been very reliable. The engine and transmission get 5-year/60K mile coverage and most emission system components get 80K miles.

I've never bought extended coverage, have never paid a large Toyota/Honda repair, and have saved thousands of dollars. If one day I get hit with a big repair, I'll still be money ahead, way ahead.

But a lot depends on how long you intend to keep the car and how concerned you are about a big repair bill. If it's a worry, then the peace of mind might be worth it. Still, dealers push extended warranties for one obvious reason: it's a high profit sale.
  • Options
    Thank you all,

I did say no and then the guy started very angry and abnoxious. My friend and I almost jump the guy specially it was on my birthday. My wife calmed me down! My family have three toyota and 2 lexus, and one honda and they all worked fine! Some of my family member paid a fortune for those extra warranty and didn't even have to use them because either the mileages is exceed or the time is expired.

Anyway, one person in this forum, said that you can purchase through the internet from toyota and cost between $600 to $1000? I just want to know if it is through toyota or some third party insurer?

The dealer wanted like $2500 then he dropped down to $1800.

Thanks

PT
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    You can purchase the official Toyota extended warranty any time before the original 3 years is up - just about the worst time and place to do this is in the F&I office of the selling dealer when you're trying to take delivery of the new car.

ANY dealer in the country can sell you the warranty - thus the advice to go online and shop around. I agree that no one should pay more than $1000 for the top coverage from Toyota - several dealers around the country will sell it for this amount or less. Just do a little research, and take your time.

This is a big profit center for the dealer - they were trying to make more money off you from the warranty than selling you the car, by far...

Incidentally, the kind of behavior you describe in the "closer's" office is precisely why Toyota dealers have such an awful reputation in all of the CSI surveys on new-car sales. I am always polite but absolutely unmoveable on the topic of all dealer add-ons - no, thank you.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Does anybody out there have the camry hybrid that when you breaking, the car makes like some kind of hail noise or wind blowing noise? Is this normal? I spoke to the saleman and he said that it is normal because the car is breaking with its electronic system or something like that and not the break pad. If anyone exprience the samething, please share.

thanks
  • Options
    tch_titaniumtch_titanium Member Posts: 11
    Don't worry about it. It's normal.
  • Options
    chip107chip107 Member Posts: 6
    3,500 Miles average mileage 38 with 40 on trips. :) There is a learning curve but once you get through it awesome. The only improvement would be a 50 mile all electric range with a plug in at night.
  • Options
    chip107chip107 Member Posts: 6
    I have about 3500 miles on my THC and a rattle has developed in the rear of the sun roof it goes away when you push up one the back of the window weather stripping with it open. Any ideas? It will be going into the dealer soon for its first checkup but it would be nice to know if anyone else is having this problem.
  • Options
    gampagampa Member Posts: 78
    Speaking of "all electric" mode... someone I work with says that he was able to obtain the necessary switches and components to expand the electric mode in his Prius. Has any one come across how this technology can be applied to the Camry?
    He claims that European cars have it standard.

Gampa
  • Options
    brad5280brad5280 Member Posts: 11
    Bought my '07 Camry Hybrid last summer when first hitting the lots and in high demand..... and of course paid sticker price+. Within the very first 100 miles, as careful as I was with my new car, I found the front end bumper far too low to the ground. Parking without tapping a "parking curb stop" without hitting the front end is impossible. The first time resulted in a cheap plastic fastener (holding the front passenger's side wheel well protector to the body/bumper together) broke. Took it to the dealer for my first oil change-service and all they said was, "Sorry, Toyota won't cover design defects". Then they charged me over $50. to put a new cheap plastic fastener on. The bumper problems escalated from there after the plastic replacement fastener (repair) broke again. Next the front passenger side grill, and the middle grill popped out. Yesterday, on the highway, the entire plastic wheel well protector came off and flew behind me. As an engineer in the US auto industry for 15 years, the Japanese cars were always superior. Now after owning my first Toyota (#1 Car in US????), I find it incredibly incompetent to design a front end bumper with such low ground clearance that it can't even clear a small pile of snow without falling apart. Now I have a car I paid over $26K for with a front bumper and front end that looks like a piece of crap. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there any way to get through to a Toyota rep for some compensation on replacement since the Dealers are useless?
  • Options
    "...Now I have a car I paid over $26K for with a front bumper and front end that looks like a piece of crap. Has anyone else encountered this problem? ..."

Hate to admit it, but we (well, my wife) actually had the same or very similar experience with a Dodge Shadow, around 1992? Low front end, plastic bumper, pulled in to the curb stop. When she went to back out later, the whole front plastic bumper came off, dragged into the parking lot, with it only connected by the wires to the turn signals. I said, "what junk" at the time. I guess they all are built the same!

Sorry to hear that has happened to you as well.
  • Options
    mike213mike213 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a Camry Hybrid - done 600 miles. The car totally stops, happened 4 times, and will not go at all. It shows all systems are operational but the nothing works on either drive-train, depressing accelerator does absolutely nothing. The fix is to switch it off, put it in Park, switch it on and into Drive and everything works again. Took it to dealer and was told they could not find anything wrong and NO codes. Told to try another dealer!! Reported the failure to Toyota this morning. Anybody heard about this problem. I am very concerned as it happened once while making a lefthand turn
  • Options
    Your own dealer can find this out. If it happened 4 times in 600 miles they can make it happen in one day. With thousands of these on the road, something like this is fixable.

Stay patient and work with your dealer.

Another idea: keep a camcorder or digital camera which makes movies in your car and the next time it happens, film the dash and narrate what is going on. That way they have visual evidence of the breakdown and can use that to solve the problem.
  • Options
    ss001ss001 Member Posts: 5
    Hi
    Just picked up my TCH on Thurs and love it! One thing I'm not sure about -- when I come to a stop at a red light, the fuel consumption indicator drops to 0, then very quickly and briefly shoots up all the way, then drops to 0 again. Is this normal? Anyone else seen it? Thanks!
  • Options
    jklcswjklcsw Member Posts: 5
    I'm getting ready to have the windows tinted on my TCH (on which I have about 1100 miles and absolutely LOVE!). Live in South Texas and wonder if anyone around here has experience with Huber Optik.