Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

New Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Go with the Huber Optik !!!

It's absolutely the best for keeping the heat out. My boss uses it in all his black cars.

I live in Phoenix and have had it in my last two cars (a 2004 HCH and my 2007 TCH) and it keeps the heat out better than anything I have ever used in 28 years of owning cars.

It's costly but worth it.
  • Options
    jklcswjklcsw Member Posts: 5
    I'm heading out here shortly to have it done. Thanks for the reassurance it will be $ well spent. :)
  • Options
    newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    Yes, it is normal. Sort of.

What's happening is that your car is stopped but the gasoline engine is still running. You're going nowhere but you are still consuming (some, minimal amount) gas.

This normally happens (to me, at least) only when I am running the air conditioner "full blast" without the ECO mode engaged. Most of the time when I bring the car to a stop, the gas engine cuts completely off. When that happens, the indicator should be at "E".
  • Options
    zerryladyzerrylady Member Posts: 13
    OK, I've got the gas indicator pretty much figured out. . My hybrid battery is at full charge. My speed is below forty miles an hour. With a light pressure on the accelerator, the indicator goes to E Mode. That shows me that the gas engine is off. My question is: Why is it that sometimes with all of the above, my indicator goes to sixty miles per gallon (which means the gasoline engine is still on) and won't go down to the E Mode? Thanks in advance, zerrylady@aol.,com
  • Options
    jjyangjjyang Member Posts: 42
    I see this too and often at the start of a trip when engine is still not fully warmed up. From what I have read, not only does engine temp needs to be at optimal level, so does battery temp, and other fluids. If so, there is nothing much to be done except wait. I will typically try to drive at about 45 mph to engage the engine optimally and then let go of the accelator until the speed comes down to about 40-42, then hold it steady. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    ss001ss001 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. I have been paying more attention to it and it doesn't tend to happen once the car is warmed up. I have noticed the same as you with the A/C. Our temperatures have been up and down lately and mileage is way better when A/C is off (even not in ECO mode).
  • Options
    alfroioalfroio Member Posts: 1
    I've had my TCH for 11 months and love it. You will learn that the ICE will turn off and on to warm up the catalytic converter or to charge the battery (indicator drops to 0), even if you're parked. Drop worry about it, just enjoy the ride and let the computer do the work. It runs best when you keep it under 70mph.
  • Options
    Still on my first tank of gas so I'm still learning. I think I'm too fixated with all of the indicators! I discovered (by accident) that when I'm stopped, if I take my foot off the brake and inch forward very slightly the car switches to ICE.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A freelancer aims to talk with owners of the following hybrid models: Accord, Altima, Camry, all Lexus hybrids and all pick-up truck hybrids.

Please respond to Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 12, 2007 with your daytime contact information and the hybrid model you own.
  • Options
    len17len17 Member Posts: 1
    I've read where some Camry Hybrid owners complain about fumes which come through the vents behind the rear seats into the cabin.

Has anyone else noticed fumes or any emissions/odors from the battery inside the trunk?

My wife is chemically sensitive - and she observed that our new Camry Hybrid has more harsh odors than other new Toyotas we've purchased.
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    That's the first I've read of this. I've had mine for 32000 miles and have not noticed that.
  • Options
    talmy1talmy1 Member Posts: 55
    Never heard of this, but keeping the climate control on fresh air (Recirc off) should eliminate any problem. Those vents are to let interior air flow over the battery for cooling. There is a fan as well back there, but it will exhaust the air, not blow in through the vents.
  • Options
    jklcswjklcsw Member Posts: 5
    My TCH has almost 3500 miles and I've noticed nothing like you describe (thank goodness!). Has your dealer been of any help?
  • Options
    mrrk47mrrk47 Member Posts: 104
    I have a 2007 TCH with NO NAV, NO LTHR, NO SUNROOF, and it's still a great car. I love it. I'm pricing the 15,000 service and all 3 dealers I called are in the 240 to 330 range. Do you have to adhere strictly to the maint. schedule.....The car is expensive as it is(there is at least one guy on this forum that will say"if you couldn't afford the upkeep, why'd you buy the car?" ) I can afford the 80 dollar service which includes checking and topping fluids, rotation, oil/filter.....I know that there may warranty issues in the future that may depend on either the car was serviced per Toyota.......
  • Options
    plknjplknj Member Posts: 121
    Been paying around $65 every 5,000 miles for oil, fluids and rotation from my dealer.
  • Options
    jjyangjjyang Member Posts: 42
    Hey plknj... Are you in Jersey? I bet they are overcharging you there. I have one service upcoming and shopping around for prices. It sure is making me wonder if I should have went with a service package!
  • Options
    Yes I am in New Jersey and I am sure they are over charging me here... but got to NYC and see what they charge! The good news is is that I have a great dealer.
  • Options
    jerryr3jerryr3 Member Posts: 2
    DEAR OTTOM
    I HAVE BEEN SITTING AND READING ALL THE MESSAGES FROM SATISFIED HYBRID OWNERS AND YOU ARE THE FIRST ONE THAT'S COMPLAINING ABOUT LOW MILEAGE. JOIN MY CLUB. THE BEST AVERAGE I CAN GET IS 22.5 MPG CITY. I ALSO TOOK IT TO THE LOCAL DEALER AND THEY SMILED AND SAID "EVERYTHING IS WORKING PROPERLY" I EVEN WENT TO ANOTHER DEALER AND THEY SAID THE SAME THING. I HAVE CONTACTED THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF FLORIDA. THEY ARE SENDING ME A FORM TO FILL OUT ON THE LEMON LAW. I'M HOPING THAT WILL GET THE BALL ROLLING AND WAKE UP A FEW PEOPLE. :lemon:
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    jerryr3,

What "ball" do you hope to get rolling? Your car more than likely has some sort of problem with the hybrid system.

Camry Hybrids as a group of cars do NOT have a problem.
  • Options
    quixotic1quixotic1 Member Posts: 23
    I am very pleased with our THC. I have always gotten at least 36mpg and sometimes over 40. The 36 is going 80+ on the interstate. We averaged over 40 from NC to Vermont. I live in S. Florida where the car spends most of it's time.

One thing to look into is the oil your dealer is putting in. After my 5k service I noticed I was getting about 33mpg. I checked my service bill and realized the dealer had put in 5w30! I went back and made them replace the oil with 0W synthetic and things went back to normal. Also make sure your tires are inflated to 32 at cold.
  • Options
    jerryr3jerryr3 Member Posts: 2
    BUT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM. WHO SHOULD I GO TO ????. I WISH SOMEONE WOULD TELL ME..
  • Options
    quixotic1quixotic1 Member Posts: 23
    Jerry,

1st make sure the oil, tire pressures and driving methods are correct. Also, are you using regular with ethanol? If so stop using that gas.

If your problem persists, get with the Toyota district manager for your area. Not the dealer. You should be able to call Toyota and get his name & #.

Make an appointment to meet him personally before talking about your issues.

If this does not resolve the problem you can file lemon law with your state. It is always better to go through the other steps 1st.

Good luck!

Rich
  • Options
    golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I am thinking of purchasing a TCH and wondered how the TCH performs when climbing a steep hill. Does it feel as if it has enough power? Is there loud engine noise or does it sound harsh when climbing a steep hill/incline?
  • Options
    lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    "Enough power"? I say yes, but others I suspect might disagree. It's power comes from a 4-cyl engine. They all make a little noise and sound a little labored with pushed, don't they? The TCH is no different. Toyota has done a great job of isolating engine noise from inside the car. Standing next to it outside, however, the engine sounds, well, like the small 4-banger that it is.

At normal speeds, and freeway cruising at any speed, the TCH is smooth and refined. And it has the added benefit that when floored both power sources kick in, supplying surprisingly quick acceleration when needed. If one keeps in the mind that the TCH was designed for economy first, it won't disappoint.
  • Options
    The car definitely has enough power... but I try not to push it to keep my mpg's at over 38. But, if you need to get somewhere in a hurry... this car can do it.
  • Options
    surrealimagesurrealimage Member Posts: 4
    Purchased a 2008TCH for $27,587.00 Plus $453 as dealer fees plus tax - the out-the-door price $30K at Tampa, Florida

My dealer is Courtesy Toyota. I did the entire deal through email and closed the deal on 10/31/2007.

It is a Barcelona Red Color TCH 2008 with

* Upgrade Package with GPS Navigation
    * Leather Package
    * Convenience Package
    * Floor and Trunk Mats
    * Sunroof Package

Ride quality - It is a very smooth and classy ride.

Interior I did not like the Nav much. It is too confusing. XM ready is also not correct, if we need to buy receiver and subscription, what else makes it XM Ready, I dont know. Just a fake statement.

Leather is top quality.

Sound system is OK. Interface could be better.

Mileage I am getting a steady 43 mpg in city driving. If I buy another car, it will be Toyota Prius. Such a wonderful mileage from these Toyotas!!!

I am much more glad when I see the gas prices go up. Could not imagine how I was able to pay so much for gas all these days.

Long Ride - I will make a trip to Orlando next week and see how it fares on interstate.

Price Thanks for Edmunds.com It helped me negotiate with confidence. I started with $1500 less than invoice and ended up paying a little over invoice plus fees. Not sure if I got a good deal or not. If they could make more TCHs and decrease the price, I dont see any reason for selling regular Camry's. It will also interesting how it would be if they mate HSD with V6 Camry.

Over all a big :) I love my TCH
  • Options
    golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    lzc and plknj,

Thanks for your comments. I plan to take a test drive in several weeks. A TCH may be my future ride.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks hybrid drivers. Please send your daytime contact information to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 14, 2007.
  • Options
    rocky39rocky39 Member Posts: 5
    Hit the 2500 mile mark on the hybrid camry. Between the wife and I driving we get between 32 to 40 mpg. I tend to push it easier so I get the higher mileage...On highway we are getting always in the 38, 39,40 range. Push it hard and yes, the mileage will suffer especially if one thinks they are a jack rabbit from a stop!
    Did an oil change with Quaker state 5w-20 and a fram filter. Have been using fram filters in all my cars. (Do oil changes myself) Use quaker state in all my cars but 5w-30 in the others.. I have never seen a benefit from Synthetic oils so I stick with the standards. (125k miles on our 2000 montana minivan and 102k miles on my avalanche. Neither car burns oils, spark plug changes at 100k miles and they look like new but the gap is slightly larger as one expects.
    Anyway this is how I will follow through with the camry hybrid and see what happens...PS: Fill the oil filter with oil before installing during new filters. Oil pressure builds faster so the engine will not run dry as long as an empty filter. (This is why I do the changes myself)
    I will move to the every 3000 mile oil changes from here on out...Live in Atlanta...
    Car still rides smooth, quiet, and my wife LOVES the hands free bluetooth built into the car! Oh my ears hurt !!!!!
    Ed the Rock
  • Options
    Does anyone know how long the battery for the key fob is supposed to last? I have had my TCH since July with no problems. Today I had trouble locking and unlocking it....there was no response at all when I pushed the buttons on the fob. I used the "emergency" key in the fob to get in the car and had no trouble starting it. Once I was home it locked/unlocked without any problems. I will call the dealer tomorrow......
  • Options
    boulderblondeboulderblonde Member Posts: 4
    I've had my TCH since Feb 07 and haven't had any problems with the key fob but would appreciate knowing what the dealer says about it. Thanks.
  • Options
    lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    The lithium battery should last for years, at least 5-7. I believe the owner's manual confirms that, but don't have it handy. In any case, even when the fob's battery is too low to function normally, it will still start the car if placed near the start button.
  • Options
    I called the dealer and they said the battery should last 2-3 years. I didn't see anything in the owner's manual about the battery lifespan but it did say that the fob may not work if there are many other signals around which could interfere with the wireless signal. When it happened I was in downtown Toronto, right by the CN Tower which is a major communications tower and I'm wondering if that was the problem? The dealer didn't confirm or reject the idea. Anyway, it's fine today and I'm not going to worry about it unless it happens again.
  • Options
    suzyq42suzyq42 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 08 TCH for 3 months, and there is still a very strong "new car smell." Any suggestions for getting rid of it? It's too cold here now to drive with the windows open, although I did do so when it was warmer.

My gas mileage was over 30 mpg on the first tank, and now at the end of my third tank, it's around 28-29. Most of my driving is 5 miles (14 minutes) to work on suburban streets, with only two traffic lights, 2 stop signs, and little traffic on the road. Occasionally I drive on an Interstate for about 15 minutes. I do keep my eye on the mpg indicator and try to avoid using the gas engine when possible. What can I do to improve the mileage? I am reading that people are getting mileage in the high 30's.
  • Options
    jeffoisjeffois Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the Northeast, (NY) and I'm in my 2nd winter with my TCH. There's a decided drop-off in MPG in the winter. I don't know what can be done about it, perhaps others have ideas? I'd love to know also.
  • Options
    kpg55kpg55 Member Posts: 1
    After three tanks of gas I have noticed the following:

Tank 1) Driving in a similar fashion (in very cold weather) I also averaged about 30 mpg.
    Tank 2) After finding the eco button and having the outside temp go up, I went to 32 mpg.
    Tank 3) Taking a 150 mile round-trip on mostly 55-65 mph highways, I averaged 38 mpg. Averaging in the next 200 miles tank 3 stands at 36 mpg.

Hope trend continues.
  • Options
    lairylairy Member Posts: 3
    What a great car. I am delighted to be driving a 5-star sedan that's comfortable, powerful, and loaded (even though I got the base version w/o JBL,Nav,Bluetooth,compass,leather - it's so well equipped I don't miss the rest).
    Still on the first tank of gas. 226 miles, 35.6 MPG - wow! I am stunned. That includes some big hills (over the pass between S.B and Buellton), and because of the rain I had the lights, heater, fan, defroster and windshield wipers going most of the time. Still, I didn't do anything special; just set the cruise control to the speed limit and smile. The Camry Hybrid is all you have said - a great car. As for the funny noises, well, I am an engineer, so I marvel at all the great engineering that found its way into this car. This car is the sweet spot. Great 8-way power seat, lots of hip, leg and headroom. So many great little features. The best part for me personally is I have always driven too fast and always knew I should have greater self control. Well, this car now gives me the motivation to kick back and use a ton less gasolene...thanks to you all for sharing how cool this car is. I almost bought a couple of other cars, went back and forth. Finally I was sure the Camry was the one. No regrets!
  • Options
    bill08bill08 Member Posts: 1
    When it gets cold and you turn on the heater, the engine starts up to generate the heat. It also runs when cold to keep the catalyc converter hot, which is required for proper emission control. This is only a problem when driving locally, since you don't get the benefit of creeping along on the battery. Similar results can be expected in the summer when you turn on the air conditioning. The engine runs more frequently to keep the tractor battery charged, since it is turning the electrical AC compressor.
  • Options
    ...loaded (even though I got the base version w/o JBL,Nav,Bluetooth,compass, leather)

Obviously you love your car. However your comments are over zealous and if you want us to believe you in the future you'll have to get beyond calling your base TCH "loaded" ;) and give us honest evaluations.

Welcome to the Forum
  • Options
    lairylairy Member Posts: 3
    You're right, it's not loaded. I'll refrain from hyperbole. What I meant was it's an awesome base model, what with power doors, steering, driver's seat, sound absorbing windshield, keyless (and buttonless) entry, tons of room, great ride, and yes, great mileage. (Okay, if 'great' mileage is in the low forties, then mine is not great. But I'm comparing it to my 2004 CRV, with a 2.4 liter four, weighing 200 pounds less than the TCH, which only gets 24 MPG best case. My TCH's first tank finished at 35.0, my second tank is 36.0 MPG so far. This is doing the commute over the Gaviota pass between Goleta and Buellton).

Thanks for the welcome. It's good to be aboard.

BTW, I startled a pedestrian today in the parking light, pulling out silently. Does anyone have a nicely integrated backup beeper or camera?
  • Options
    and yes, great mileage

Now you're talking. That is NOT an exageration ;)
  • Options
    defraudeddefrauded Member Posts: 3
    Last June, I bought a new 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid at Dunning Toyota in Ann Arbor, MI. Salesman said the car would get
    40 city/38 hwy mpg's, but the car consistently gets between 24-28
    mpg's. The service dept. said nothing was wrong with the car and
    gave many excuses why the car really wouldn't get 40/38 mpg's.(weather, wind, road conditions, AC or heater used, my driving, etc.). For 2008 models, TCH mpg's were revised downward to 33/34. I think I was defrauded about this car since all reports had
    been so glowing. Dealer will not refund your money without a fight or arbitration.
  • Options
    stalnakerstalnaker Member Posts: 72
    I bought my 2007 TCH last February, so I have had it almost a year. My overall mileage in that year (calculated) is about 31 mpg. In the warmer months in Indiana (March - October), I was able to average around 32-33 mpg most of the time. But in the winter months, I'm getting around 26-27 mpg. The cold weather has made a huge difference for me. It's probably because I have a lot of trips of 4 miles in one direction (when I drive to or from my office), and the car really doesn't have a chance to warm up, especially on a cold day. I'm still very happy with the vehicle, but a little disappointed in the mileage I have been getting.
  • Options
    talmy1talmy1 Member Posts: 55
    The salesman shouldn't be making any promises. The service department's "excuses" are right on -- the mileage you get depends on many things. It's certainly possible to get over 40 mpg but it takes long trips at moderate speeds or at least warm weather with the AC off. You didn't say what your driving consists of, but I know I wouldn't be breaking 25mpg if I only used the car on commutes to work (3 miles away) in the winter, for instance.

Conventional cars are the same, but the effect of driving cold, using the air conditioner, etc., are magnified in vehicles that get good mileage to begin with because of the peculiarities of measuring in mpg rather than gallons per mile. Chances are you weren't getting the EPA mileage with your old car either. We rarely did.
  • Options
    Salesman said the car would get 40 city/38 hwy mpg's, but the car consistently gets between 24-28 mpg's.

The salesperson shoud have simply stated the EPA ratings. The EPA revised them recently as they did all vehicles. I hate to say it but if you're averaging 24 to 28 mpg you are not trying hard. Should you have to? No, but if you want to maximize the FE of a hybrid there are at least a few minimal changes to driving habits that is expected. Maybe a hybrid isn't for you. Little things add up but if one eliminates jack rabbit starts, drives within the speed limits and anticipates traffic to flow smoothly I don't see how to get less than 36 in good weather. There have been a few other posters complain that there is something wrong with their car. I've always wished I could drive them once and see for myself, but I'm guessing it's not the car.

The cold weather will affect you but even in Michigan you have decent spring and summers I would think. My FE isn't impacted until it starts getting below 50F. Driving conservatively is not for everyone. I believe though the expectation is that one who buys a hybrid is willing to give up old habits for the gain in FE that can be achieved.

It would be interesting, if you kept accurate records on your last ride, to compare it to EPA ratings.
  • Options
    It's certainly possible to get over 40 mpg but it takes long trips at moderate speeds

I'm not sure what constitutes a "long trip" but I have no problem obtaining 40+ on the trip computer on my 4 mile drive into town with a cold engine. Yes there are a lot of factors involved, but it doesn't take what I would call a "long" trip.
  • Options
    boulderblondeboulderblonde Member Posts: 4
    We have the 2007 TCH with navigation system, etc. The back-up camera was not available (to our knowledge) but now we find it would be very useful due. Does anyone have any recommendations to retrofit the TCH -- brand, where to do it, best pricing, how well they work, etc. Any information would be appreciated. Ida and Mike
  • Options
    My dealer offered me an after-market backup cam that could be seen on the nav screen. The price was around $700 if I remember correctly. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    jeffoisjeffois Member Posts: 5
    The EPA estimates were too high for every single car on the market, including the TCH, and were universally revised downward as a result. You were a victim of fraud only to the extent that the EPA's methodology was flawed across the board. It was a fairly open secret that EPA estimates were poor measures. Check every other car on the market, if you can find the historical data, and you'll see that there was a change.

On the other hand, an honest salesman (OK, a salesman who doesn't lie all the time) would have told you not to expect 40/38.
  • Options
    However if you actually drive like the EPA did in those tests you can get 38/40. many of us do. The new tests I believe are more "realistic" for the average driver. Thus with a little effort (which you wouldn't normally do with an ICE only car) you can exceed the EPA significantly on the TCH.

The hard thing for many to remember is to think about % rather than numbers of mpg. A 15% increase if you're getting 15mpg is only 2.25 mpg increase. With a TCH a 15% increase (or decrease) at 38 mpg is 5.7mpg. The number looks so big but the same things that cause an ICE only car to drop 15% in a lot of cases is the same things that causes a hybrid to drop 15% as well. When I've been averaging 38 mpg and drop to 35 on a high speed drive on 4 lane in the cold, that's pretty good performance.

What I like about the TCH is that if gas gets extreemly high and everybody slows down I can still change my habits and get 38 to 40 and drive 600+ miles on a tank (if I have to). In my Infinity I could make those same shifts in driving and only get 17.5 and less than 375 miles on my tank. I remember the lines during the oil embargo. I wouldn't travel to visit the parents not knowing if I could get back home. A 600+ mile tank is freedom.

We're not back there yet, but on any given day we could be one day away from the same scenario. The world could give a hoot about our need for oil. I'm surprised they don't make it tougher on us considering the folks with the oil basically don't like us and they really are under no obligation to do fair trade with us.