Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• syee101syee101 Member Posts: 1
    You push "Option" on the GPS map screen. Then select "Stop guidance".
  • blackdynamite1blackdynamite1 Member Posts: 7
    TCH sales in 2011: 9200+ :(

TCH sales in March 2012: 5400+ ;)
    BD
  • va hybrid userva hybrid user Member Posts: 5
    I have one of the first Camry Hybrids made, and I never get a hesitation when starting. I'd take it back to the shop and make them fix it.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you recently traded in a gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient new vehicle, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with your daytime contact info and the makes and models of the vehicles.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ngarkonangarkona Member Posts: 1
    Just got my TCH XLE for 2 weeks. Anyone feel headache after driven the hybrid? And took more than half an hour to recover. I am wondering if there is excessive radiation from the cable? Anyone know the Magnetic radiation measurement rating for this car? I'm a bit worry. Talked to Toyota Canada and the agent said she never heard this problem before.
  • 12camryhybrid12camryhybrid Member Posts: 2
    This car is a total surprise! Rides great, extremely quite, has real power if desired, great electronics (blind side is a must) and it is getting 40mpg. Price really not that bad considering all the goodies, 34,800 window sticker, out the door, 33,200 with a bit of talking. Can you believe they wanted list. Only option missing is the rear trunk spoiler, no big deal.... Now hear this, Lexus will have it's version of this car and I bet it will go in the mid 40,s with just a bit of sheet metal changing. Available this fall.....

Anyway 900 miles so far and love it........
  • 12camryhybrid12camryhybrid Member Posts: 2
    I have one and have driven only 900 miles so far with no problems. Only headache is that the gas stations are missing my former business. We are in NH in the States and I have many friends with CHB's not reporting any such problems. Are you driving under Canadian Hydro lines, sorry just kidding......
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    I think it's much more likely that you may be allergic to some chemical used in the TCH (which are part of that 'new car smell'), rather than EMR, which surrounds all of us while indoors (from house wiring).
  • oz_22151oz_22151 Member Posts: 7
    I'm on week 3. 800 miles. 2nd tank of gas.

I love the car but I do have some complaints.

Homelink; can't get the darn thing to work yet!
    DVD; put in a dvd but it doesn't play video, just audio. WTF
    CD; YES
    Bluetooth; paired iPhone 4, iTouch and iPad no problem. Wife's nokia is problematic, phonebook won't xfer.
    XM Weather Forecast; sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. Button just grey out.
    TPMS; what a waste. If they recommend 35 PSI then why did they put 40 in there ?
    Voice recognintion sucks. I say call Allen, it says Call Emily ? I say call home, it says Call Ony ?

Other than the above I do love the car. It has power when I need it. Before new Camry, wife complained that I drive too fast. After Camry, wife complained that I drive too slow. I'm trying to get the MPG to go up.

Wash car almost everyday, clay bar once, sealant applied twice, wax once already. Running out of detail spray on one bottle already.

$250 - $300 spent on car stuff already, clay bar, wax, sealant, microfiber towels, various spray, etc.

Already sprayed carpet and floor mat with protectant spray. Still need a good car duster.

HTH.
  • wildtexanwildtexan Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone out there owned a 2011 and gone to the 2012? I love my 2011. Had full intention of buying the 2012 when it came out. Better mileage and bigger trunk were definite plus. Problem, I hated the BLACK dash (live in southern Florida), can't get full leather ( seems partial leather) and frankly it appears the interior on the 2012 really seems cheesy.

Everything else would be great. No doubt MPG posted are accurate and love performance and the dealer service.

Any comments or suggestions?
    You'll be taking a major $$ bath on a 1 year trade in. You mention full vs. partial leather - no cars I know of in this price range are 'full leather', the leather is the seating surface, the rest is not. The reviews I read liked the 2012 interior over the 2011, but that's up to you.
  • esk59esk59 Member Posts: 1
    joon, the hybrid system on your car is designed to only allow for 75% charge and never a full charge. This extends the life of the traction battery. Hope this helps.
  • sbkcpasbkcpa Member Posts: 6
    I have only had my Camry Hybrid XLE for a few days now, but I am very impressed with it. It seems to do everything better than I had expected it to. There is plenty of room, a comfortable ride, good handling, and it has a nice solid feel to it, plenty of power, it accelerates like a V6...and most important...it gets AMAZING gas mileage! There have been a couple of times when I got slightly over 44 MPG just driving to work, or running errands. Contrary to what a lot of critics have said...I think it looks pretty sharp! I got the Magnetic Gray Metallic, and have gotten a lot of compliments on it. No buyers remorse here...just buyers happiness
  • sbkcpasbkcpa Member Posts: 6
    My 2012 TCH XLE also has a very slight hesitation/vibration when I accelerate from a complete stop, and the gas engine turns on. The one I test drove also did this...so it must be normal. The car is so quiet and vibration free other than this.
  • furnbldrfurnbldr Member Posts: 1
    This car is unlike any other driving experience - very different. I have an XLE loaded with everything. Gauges and lights are nicely placed and take no time to acclimate. Continuous variable transmission means no shifting - so gear changes are smooth because there aren't any. Can't notice when shifts from gas to electric - and 48.3mpg in first 200 miles! big help at $3.84/gallon. Have a challenge uphill highway on ramp in the morning - still have enough go to not feel pressured from traffic. Knobs and buttons are nicely placed and the dash is big upgrade from 2010, 2011. Sounds made while braking remind me of sci fi movies. This is not a sports car so it does not have that kind of pull - but the driving experience so far is superb. Handling is nimble and precise. Components inside have a nice feel. Leather trimmed seats feel great. I am very happy with this car - previous Accord owner - and I loved that car.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Hi. I'll be getting a new 2013 Avalon and would consider the Hybrid if I knew what to expect in the years to come.

- Repair costs?
    - Maintenance costs?
    - Long Term Costs?

I drive 36,000 miles a year and 75% is highway. Will I save enough to justify the added cost for the car upfront and then any added costs for up-keep in the years ahead?

I currently have a 2011 Avalon LTD, with 36,000+ miles (traded a 2008 Avalon Touring, (with 66,000+ miles) which was purchased from a Traded in 2007 Camry with 42,000+ miles).

I like the Avalon a lot, and yes, I like the idea of 40 MPG, but not if the upkeep is 10, 15, or 20% more, and repair cost for replacement batteries and such are a lot more down the road.

As you can see I don't normally keep a car long, but I may keep this will for several years (my wife laughed when I said this) and knowing that, I want to make the right discussion.

Any insight on hybrids would be helpful.

Skip
  • bbrimmerbbrimmer Member Posts: 32
    I had a 2009 Camry Hybrid for 47K miles. I traded it only because it was not an AWD and we were experiencing a bad winter in New England a few years ago so I opted for a Venza AWD 4 cylinder and it gets about 25 mpg combined.
    As for extra cost with the Hybrid, nothing additional except that the tires only went to about 35K. I cannot figure whether that was the tire or the way braking works with Hybrids. Also, I took a large hit with my trade-in. In January 2010 I was told by Toyota dealers that no one was buying pre-owned hybrids. That may have changed. You sound like a loyal Avalon fan, and the 2013 promises to be the best looking one yet. Good Luck.
    edited October 2012
    I just had my 60,000 mile checkup for my hybrid Camry and it cost me probably $80. If you change the oil every 3K miles you should have negligible repair and maintenance costs.
  • snaab93se1snaab93se1 Member Posts: 69
    No added costs so far... 2008 Camry hybrid just passed 69,000 miles. Oil changes every 5K, rear brakes replaced under warranty (defect) at 30k (no charge) still have 7 or 8mm left on those pads as well as the front. Original tires lasted 50kmi. Only repair so far was a melted trunk release from the phoenix sun at $150 installed. Intermittent problem with a rear door lock that will need attention at the next oil change. Hands down the most trouble free car I've ever had and 36+ mpg....tanks go between 500-600 miles between fill ups. Want a Avalon hybrid or ES300h but afraid to trade since this one has been so good to me and I have had 5 lemons before this one.
  • applegatorapplegator Member Posts: 7
    I just bought my second Camry Hybid...this one is a 2012 Silver Camry Hybrid XLE with navigation, moonroof, leather pkg, auto-dimming mirror with Homelink, back up camera, smart key entry, and more. I paid $29,418.00 which included the $1,000. rebate and got 0.9% financing over 60 mos. on the $22,000. I financed. The MSRP was $32,340.00. I've been getting a little over 40 MPG even with all the hills I have to go over in Southern Oregon. I love my Camry Hybrid! My first Camry Hybrid was a 2008 and would have been an XLE if they had trims back then.
  • sonnyv6sonnyv6 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Applegator,
    Congratulations on your new purchase! I bought one with the same configuration & color on October 24, in Toronto. This is my first ever Hybrid & I have been pretty happy with the car. But.....I do not get the mileage you mentioned. Here we measure mileage by litres per 100 Kilometers. I get an average of 7.69L/100kms which translates to 30.57mpg. I wonder what I am doing wrong. I am not too heavy on the accelerator but we do use heating (sparingly) since its close 30F outside. I still have the original oil & lube on the car from the dealership & have travelled about 1400Kms (~690Miles) since I bought it. I have had a decent mix of city & highway driving so far, but the average has not fluctuated much.
    Appreciate any tips for the fellow users!!
    Hi sonnyv6....congratulations on your hybrid purchase! Yesterday we got gas and this time we got 34.5 miles/gallon. One thing I do which you may do already is take your foot off the gas and just coast down hills whenever you can although the 2012 does not coast as well as my 2008 did. My 2008 would coast down the smallest of hills! My 2008 hybrid averaged 35 - 36 miles/gallon. I have read the larger tires on the 2012 cause resistance that the smaller tires on the 2008 did not. The other thing I do is when I'm approaching a red light is take my foot off the gas and just coast to the red light. My husband said he believes that vehicles get better gas mileage after they are broken in and after the first oil change. Our salesman recommended we use ECO mode except for in stop & go traffic he told us to switch to EV mode to get the best mileage. Using cruise control helps get better gas mileage too. Please let me know what gas mileage you are getting after your first oil change. I am certain it will be better than the 30.57 miles/gallon you are getting now. One thing I did not mention in my first review was that I had over 83,000 miles on my 2008 Camry Hybrid when I traded it in and had no problems with it whatsoever. The only thing I had to do was the routine maintenance. One thing hybrid owners should know which I found out by accident. A hybrid should never be left not driven for more than one month because this will damage the electric battery. A retiree told me this. He said he pays someone to drive his hybrid every two weeks since he travels for months at a time leaving his hybrid in his garage. I googled it and found this to be true although I was surprised the dealerships did not inform me of this important issue and we own a Honda Civic hybrid as well which our son drives. When our son travels we drive the Honda every two weeks. The Camry Hybrid has never been left sitting for more than 10 days.
  • hearingmanhearingman Member Posts: 1
    Just saw your message and I too have purchased a 2012 camry hybrid xle fully loaded. Firstly your car has not been broken in yet. It should take approx. 10000 km. however, I'd like to confirm that the Toyota posted feul efficiency is not accurate. It is advertised as 4.7L/100km city and 5.1L/100km. The milage I'm getting is approx. 6L/100 hwy, 5.9L/100km city. Additionally, I have found approx. 5 addresses that the GPS can not find. Added to that the voice activation does not work all the time. To top off things there are many more problems one of which is that the passenger side window does not work properly and the dealer has attempted to fix it twice with no resolution.
    This vehicle has to date been the worst I have ever owned and at present, I would never recommend it to anyone.

All that being said, I just want you to know that you are not alone.
  • sonnyv6sonnyv6 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the advice. I will wait & see. I have very happy with the purchase other than this aspect. A similarly equipped VW Passat which is much cheaper & equally fun to drive, was my 2nd option & I hope I dont regret not going for that.
    The whole point of getting a TCH was the rated fuel efficiency factor, which I know is never true but did not imagine it would be this off.
    I am on ECO mostly, use EV mode whenever it is available (I must say its quite rarely available or switches off if one attains any kind of meaningfull speed), drive in a way (coast to red lights, stick to speed limits, no jack rabbits or sudden braking, accelerate slowly which some times makes people behind me honk, fuel 87 at premium gas stations mostly at Shell)which makes me look like a Great Grand daddy...but STILL DO NOT attain fuel efficiency anywhere near the rating....Spent all this money & as they say on CNET...one cannot brag to his friends that he bought a Camry.
    To add further, my previous car had 225 55R17 Winter tires & I got them mounted to my TCH. The 10mm difference in width leads to higher drag & resistance. 2 things: Safety is paramount, 2nd the money I would spend to buy new set of 215 size tires...that made me go this direction.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    I can't speak about either car in general other then to say, my years working at a VW dealership, made sure I would NEVER purchase one!

While they may have gotten better over the best few years, they REALLY sucked back then, and I hated to have to wait on VW customers, who for the most part were very unhappy and often angry when they dropped off the car, and equally as mad and often more so, when they picked up the car and got the bill!

30+ cars later, 8 of which have been toyotas, (2 Tercels, 1 - 4 Runner, 2 Camry's and 3 Avalons) I can say the Toyotas have been COST FREE, and TROUBLE FREE to own (for the most part).

Don't be abscess with MPG, as it will drive you crazy, and you may find yourself being a hazard to others around you.

Skip
    The reason the tires only went to 35K is because of the weight of the electric battery which wears down the tires. Even if a tire is rated at 50K you will not get that with a hybrid.
    Hi sonnyv6, I talked to a person who works a few businesses down from me who has had a 2012 TCH for 6 months and he told me he gets better gas mileage when he does not need to use the heat or AC.
  • snaab93se1snaab93se1 Member Posts: 69
    Well my 2008 has been trouble free up until about a month ago when the rear door lock stopped working...that along with a leaking water pump resulted in a $1100 repair bill. This week the front driver door lock is working only part of the time so that is another $550 or so....and only two more door locks waiting to fail....starting to think its an issue with the car.
  • swdhasswdhas Member Posts: 7
    Hello all,

I am going to buy Toyota Camry hybrid LE with standard features . Does anyone know how much I should be paying for it In wa state area ?
    Hi swdhas, I'm assuming you are buying a 2012 TCH LE. Be sure to go on Edmunds or kbb.com where you can put your zip code in and find out what consumers are paying for that particular vehicle in your area. These sites will also tell you if there are any special rebates or financing available. This is the best time to buy because 2013 will be here soon and dealers want to clear as many 2012 vehicles off their lots as they can. Be sure to deal with an internet salesperson only and print off their offer and take it with you to the dealership. When we first looked at our 2012 TCH XLE in the beginning of November there were no rebates or special financing for Hybrids. All they offered then was almost $1,900. below MSRP. However, right after Thanksgiving there was also a $1000. rebate which made our price almost $2,900. below MSRP in addition to 0.9% financing over 60 months which we qualified for which made waiting well worth it. Good luck with your purchase!
  • 8079dan8079dan Member Posts: 6
    I have purchased my third Camry. My last was a 2010 Hybrid and now the 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE. I enjoy the changes Toyota has made to acceleration, handling and many refinements. The car is great in general, but the dealer refuses to check into an issue with the heat.

My 2010 was exceptional for the way it delivered heat to the cabin. The engine was warm before we got 5 minutes or so on the road. The 2012 Hybrid takes about 20 minutes to heat the cabin and is much slower to get to fully warm. The engine seems to heat a bit slower also, by the gauge.

I don't think my dealer is knowledgeable about how the car heats. How do I find a dealer who is more up on such problems?
    Where do you live?
    edited January 2013
    Oregon. I would drive 500 miles to get my heater working. It has been 40 degrees lately and not much warmer in the car for the first 30 minutes (Eco switch off). When the ECO switch is on, I seem to get better mileage, but almost no heat after warm-up.
    OK. I live in Virginia. This is not right, I'd find another Toyota dealer and make them fix it under warranty.
    I am impressed with my 2012 Camry Hybrid in many ways. It is in general a fantastic car. I only wish the dealers would work with me, as a buyer of 6 new cars, to make the car do what I request at the time of purchase.
    -
    Typically, I want all the features of the auto I am trading, plus the new features. I was told the 2012 Camry Hybrid was a totally rebuilt, new model, so I should have tested the demonstrator more carefully. My car has a very poor navigation operating system. It also has a poor heater compared to the 2010 Hybrid Camry I owned.
    -
    My concern is with the dealers. I have yet to have a rattle or squeak repaired by a new car dealer. My friends tell me that to get such repairs, you need to take the car to a non-warranty service and pay for it.
    -
    When I took the car in for heater service for the third time to the second dealer, they refused to open the hood and claimed the car was new, so it ws not defective, even though it heated much slower and less than any other car. I am aware this is NOT a weak point in this model.
    -
    Thanks for the comments. I will wear a good coat in this car and take my 2012 Tacoma for a ride when I need heat. Both vehicles are fast. I think the Camry is fun to drive. :)
  • terrywhiteterrywhite Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a new Camry XLE Hybrid 2013. I found the same acceleration problem. If I accelerate from a stop, the car makes click feeling. I also tried another new Camry Hybrid, I got the same feeling. But I also tried Prius and Lexus ES Hybrid, I didn't get the click feeling. I went to dealer twice, they just told me all the hybrid cars have the same problem. That is not true. I hope Toyota will recall for this problem.
    terrywhite,

try using the "braking" position of the shift for a few lights.

If you find it no longer hesitates or "clicks" you may be talking about the way the engine is shut off during stops at lights. It saves gas doing this and restarts instantly when power is required.

The engine is not shut off in the braking position, but uses the same gear ratios otherwise. There is a slight difference in how fast the instant start works during the changes in gas that takes place in season changes.

We are told not to overuse the braking position. I like the feature in stop and go traffic, since it slows the car as soon as I release the gas.
    Have you called Toyota customer service directly about this problem yet? I would. I do not have any clicking with my 2012 TCH XLE and am very happy with it!
    Just a note, I recently took my 2012 TCH XLE in for its first oil change and I was told by the dealership that the new TCH only needs an oil change every 10,000 miles and I confirmed this with Toyota customer service as well just to be sure! I consider this a plus!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with someone who bought a hybrid within the past year. If that describes you, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, July 3, 2013 with the make, model, month of purchase and a few lines about your experience.
    Thanks,

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I went to Toyota dealor twice. They told me all the hybrids have this issue. So I tried another new Camry XLE Hybrid 2013, it makes the same click feeling. But I tried Lexus ES Hybrid and Prius, they don't make this click feeling.
    8079dan

Thanks! I will try this. The Toyota dealor technicans never told me like this.
    Sorry I couldn't try this because it takes too long to start my car. I only tried to put the shift to "N" position when waiting for the traffice lights. But I still feel "clicks" when accelerating.
    applegator

From Joon's original email, you can find Joon also has this issue. Have you paid attention on your food when accelerating from a complete stop?
    I bought a Camry XLE Hybird 2013 and have the same hesitation feeling when accelerating from a complete stop. Can we ask Toyota to fix it? Because I also tried Lexus ES Hybrid and Prius, they didn't make this feeling.
  • karljkarlj Member Posts: 1
    Picked mine up last night (here in Aus the XLE is the HL) 2nd hand 2012 model demonstrator with 10500kms on it in metallic black.
    -Not my first choice in colour but at $12K short of normal asking money for a new one the price was right.
    SO in comparison to our pair of (soon to be sold) V70T5 volvo's (MY01). I noted the following.
    Volvo's not punchy off the line but go hard as boost comes on say 25mph....
    Hybrid is not as punchy as i'd expect with theoretically 105kW and 270nm available instantly from the electric part of the drivetrain.
    Carpets are rubbish and floor mats are a sick joke in comparison to the Volvo. Sat nav not exactly intuitive.
    Digital radio is great, pulling contacts from phone etc and phone experience is awesome vs Volvo SIM card in dash which these days is cumbersome as you either need to divert phone or use it for outgoing calls only and of course you have 2 phone numbers!
    Seats are a long way behind the volvo and although trimmed in leather, thats where it ends, they are not very compliant nor are they supportive.
    range of adjustment is OK but again i was disappointed in the lack of even the least bit of contour to stop you falling out of the seats when conrnering.

Steering wheel controls i'll get used to over time i guess.
    Yet to explore the limits of its handling or do any fuel consumption tests.
    I did fill it up with premium fuel and I'm curious to know if this does increase the mileage / improve performance or if i should just use regular.

This morning wife drove it to shops and is happy and if it costs as much to run in broken bits as our last camry ($0 in 5 years in over and above maint)
    then I will be better off than the Volvos (both aftermarket LPG injected) which despite being cheap on fuel, seem to have continuous BS stuff going wrong like spring seats every ~25 thousand miles which i do myself these days and the ever present threat the Auto will fail which is worth almost as much as the whole car. 3rd radiator in <2years despite using genuine bits and replacing hoses etc, cam seals =2nd set of belts in 50 thousand miles, coil packs, oxy sensors ......list is never ending!

BRING ON CHEAP MOTORING!
  • 105f2dc105f2dc Member Posts: 5
    We are shopping for a replacement for our V6 (2003) for my wife and me. Most of our trips are short (grocery, shopping) together. I have a 50 mile daily (both ways) commute to work and drive a Mazda Pro. We are looking for a long term car that will serve what the V6 does (our main car for trips and whenever we ride together). I had my wife drive both the TCH and the TAH yesterday. I did not since I wanted her to be happy with the car when she drives it alone.

Either would suit her fine she says. However I noticed that the Avalon did not make the hybrid braking noise when we decelerated towards a light whereas the Camry did. Plus the Avalon seemed to be much quieter.

Anyone here who decided for the Camry against the Avalon for some technical reason other than personal preference, I would like to hear from you. Also I did not notice what mode we were driving in on our test drives but I read that turning ECO on will lower the A/C output significantly. My wife likes to run the air at 75 or less in our V6. I on the other hand hardly every use A/C when I'm driving alone.

Also we need all the features the XLE has and the TCH apparently leaves out Homelink on the LE model.
    Hi 102f2dc,

I decided on the Camry mostly due to price and did not test the Avalon carefully.

On a trip, we recently pulled of at a rest stop with two 2013 TCH. They looked at mine and said "nice car" reflecting they liked theirs also. We talked about pros and cons and all liked the quiet operation of the car.

I think the Avalon will have even less road noise. Their cars do not have the navigation I have. They made the right choice as mine is only good to get you to a city or address. It is far behind the Garmin GPS offered by Pioneer as aftermarket unit.

Both cars you are looking at are special.

When picking the car you are buying, test extensively as the dealers will not address any minor issues, such as noises, mileage, paint defects, rough running, heater, or road noise.

The car is great, but the dealers are not responsive.
  • 105f2dc105f2dc Member Posts: 5
    dan, thanks, may I ask you about comfort items like air, heat.. Our V6 usually has heat within a mile of start. Our winters here in SC are not that cold but we do have quite a few 20-30F days in Jan and Feb and the Camry responds well. So too with air (and we do have a lot more hot days). Do you find the CH lacking in this area - getting heat and A/C working quickly? Also the leather seats on the new hybrids seem to be a little more stiffer, the V6 seats are 'cushier'. I can echo what you said about dealers, I don't trust ours. My cars are serviced by a retired mechanic, he can't handle the tech of a hybrid though. Thanks for your input.
    I'd pick a real hot day for a test drive, see how the a/c does. The a/c in my MKZ hybrid is OK in Dallas, but not as good as that in my prior ES300. I'll make sure I test that carefully the next time...