Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Changes You'd Like To See in the Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• wingmanwingman Member Posts: 19
    How about a wiper for the back window and a GPS system as good as Garmin. Rear view camera and a better console that doesn't squeak.
  • dmhltd1dmhltd1 Member Posts: 31
    I had Michelins on my Solara. They were smooth and quiet but wore out quickly and I was surprised that Michelin didn't offer any kind of mileage guarantee. I went with Dunlop sport A2's.
    The only one I haven't seen mentioned is memory seats. When ever I get in after letting someone else drive I have a heck of a time getting the seat adjusted where I think I had it before. My 1995 explorer had memory for two drivers and that feature was one that actually continued to work as long as I owned the vehicle. I hate having to scroll through the dash display. I agree with the poster that recommended a backward button. I'm also not getting the mileage others get but that's for a different forum.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The problem is that even without adaptive cruise control, you are accelerating and braking with the flow of traffic regardless. The thought/hope is that it would be smoother and more fuel-efficient with adaptive cruise control."

I drive on LA freeways, and I do not overdo the acceleration and braking. I watch the traffic and anticipate trends. I do not use the brakes a whole lot, and gently accelerate. I'm not driving a hybrid, just being efficient.
    "I have not found that to be the case. It simply makes it easy to get good FE. "

Just for reference, when I put "QUOTES" in the post, it means I am quoting another post. You replied to something that I didn't originate.
    "had Michelins on my Solara. They were smooth and quiet but wore out quickly and I was surprised that Michelin didn't offer any kind of mileage guarantee."

That's odd, aftermarket Michelins have mileage warranties. The pair I bought had 80K miles (prorated, of course).
    The tires that came on the Solara were Michelin Energy MXV4. On Tirerack.com they show as having a warranty. They sure didn't when I went to replace them. They probably figured they were losing business and started offering a warranty.
  • newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    Agreed!

I forgot about that. Yes, the Camry Hybrid should definitely have memory seats.
  • regal1945regal1945 Member Posts: 25
    Mine have memory seats, 07
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    These want lists are interesting. Add them up, however, and the Carmy hybrid is beginning to get expensive.
    I searched the toyota specs for hybrid and XLE and can't find any mention of memory seats. How do you set them?
    Three switches, memory 1&2 on the left doorpanel, and one switch says set.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    and this is a 2007 Toyota Camry HYBRID???????????
  • plknjplknj Member Posts: 121
    Recently... thanks to you all.. I have been getting 40 mpg and I think Toyota should go one step further than 'Excellent'... for moments like these I think they should go up a level like 'Outstanding'... 'You just saved a fortune'... 'Outtasite'... something one step above and beyond.

My new, loaded, '07 TCH has almost everything... but not memory seats! Though I just added Xenon headlights which my Toyota mechanic told me could void the warranty! I'll use them until they burn out... but what a difference... easier to see the deer at dusk and dawn.
    I was so intrigued by your message that got up from my desk and went outside to look at the left door panel of my car to see if, after all these months of ownership, I overlooked the obvious.

I'm sorry but I don't think you have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I have a fully-loaded version, there is not a factory option offered that I don't have, and I do not have memory seats.
    Besides adjustable settings, the driver's seat comes with an available two-position Toyota Memory System. The available memory system features settings for two different drivers and front-seat passengers. Both the driver's and front passenger's side exterior mirrors are also included. For added convenience when parking, the mirrors automatically tilt down when the Camry is placed in reverse. Available heated and ventilated front seats have separate heaters and fans in the seat cushion that provide comfort regardless of the weather.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Sorry that's the Avalon not the Camry unless you're talking about a different market.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    once again, those are features available in SOME versions of the Camry, but not in the hybrid, at least not to my knowledge.
    regal1945, in what country did you buy your Camry?
    Japan
    "Japan" Well, that explains it. the Camrys sold in the USA don't have memory seats or fold down mirrors....
    Not exactly on topic but as a fellow Treo 700p user, I thought you might be interested to know that there is a software update coming next month, in April 2007. The good news is that one of the things it is supposed to do is update the Bluetooth stack, which should improve its ability to sync with the Toyota Camry Hybrid (and a host of other cars). The bad news is that the update is only for Sprint 700p smartphones; 700p smartphones from other cell companies (such as Verizon Wireless) will not be updated until later in the year.
  • jap4jap4 Member Posts: 4
    I am also considering xenons. Can you provide details re the source of lighting equipement added and cost.
    I love my xenon's... had them installed by an after market auto shop. It took them 45 minutes for the installation. It was pricey... about $500... but, I live in a heavily deer populated area and drive early in the morning and late at night. The area of coverage is much wider and brighter than normal lights and because of the TCH lighting set up they plug right in.

The alternative was fog lights... Toyota told me that the fog lights would cost around $1,000 as the car was not set up for them. After market would require some drilling and only save me a few dollars over the xenon.

The only down side is that it technically voids our warranty with Toyota... so I have my old lights if I need to switch them out. I am no longer squinting and driving in the dark is much easier.
    I was wondering when they would come out with an update... good to know. Of course I have Verizon so it will be a long wait. Thanks.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    The only down side is that it technically voids our warranty with Toyota...

The "ONLY" downside? Doesn't sound like you place much value on that. If I believed that I think I would rather take my chances with the deer.

I live in deer country too. However just replaced my front bumper cover ($650) but it was a large dog instead of a deer. Lights would not have helped me.

If something like frying your wiring happens and you put your old lights back in don't you think maybe Toyota might question that?
    I'm friendly with the Toyota mechanics at my shop... they even checked the wiring and further secured it for me... The dealership I use is one of the best dealers I have ever been to... they go the extra mile... and the headlight kit comes with something that is suppose to prevent the wiring from frying... I'll read the box when I get home. I guess I don't mind pushing the envelope.
  • mrpatmrpat Member Posts: 24
    Did they say why the change to a modern more efficient headlight system would void your warranty, also how did they know you had the change made.
    Do they mean your entire warranty or just where the lights are concerned.
    Im starting to wonder if I made a mistake going with Toyota.
    Ther should be a site where you can ask Toyota a question.
    I think you are talking about an Avalon or a Lexus
    Toyota would have no basis for voiding your warranty except in areas effected by what you altered.

It seems reasonable to me that they warranty their work, not yours or the work of a 3rd party.
    You know... that is a very good question which I need to ask someone in tech. I do a lot of night driving on weekends for my work and can't tell you what a difference the xenon lights make! Hardly need my brights and the range from side to side is incredible.

As for making a mistake with a TCH... I love my car. I have had other cars that have better design features... controls on the steering wheel, seats, navigation, etc. But I would still trade them all in for my TCH. It's a great car with great mpg.
  • tomqtomq Member Posts: 10
    Leave me enough room in trunk to fit 2 medium (compact) peices of luggage. Fill remaining space with batts. Beef up suspension to support added weight.

Increase mileage per tank like doubled? Engineers will shoot this idea down. Nice to fantasize.
  • tommtomm Member Posts: 31
    It was the car I was interested in, not the trim and color combos. I drove it [a bit too much torque steer, but I could overlook - and get used to that]. BUT - the trunk space, or lack thereof, was the deal breaker. I walked back to my 2005 Audi A6 (best trunk around and fold-down, 60/40 seats) I came close to buying the Camry Hybrid, but can't get clubs (let alone luggage) in there. Maybe next model-change.
    Does it totally void your warranty or just the lighting part?
  • pianewmanpianewman Member Posts: 8
    I've never owned a Camry before, and I find the ride just too soft, especially during emergency maneuvers. Toyota should offer a sport suspension for this car...there's plenty of pick-up, and very accurate steering, but I find it very unstable when taking off-ramps at a speed that maintains momentum.
    Have to look into an answer for all of us.
  • tchcroftontchcrofton Member Posts: 2
    I would love to have an EV Only button and a more realistic
    battery pack that would allow me to go the 7 miles to the highway on battery only. This would greatly enhance my enjoyment of this car.

It's a great car already, but that would be a good addition.
    Can you tell me how to get beyond the dealers with questions, I called the 800 # and they bounced me back to the dealsr. Frustrating Id rather be able to talk to a tech rep.

I want to improve my lighting and radio reception without voiding the warranty.

Ps fe seems to run between 34 and 37. Anyone else experiencing this. Would synthetic oil help?
    I understand the lighting question... but do not understand the radio question. Are you talking about switching out the in-dash or adding an exterior Sirius?
    The window sticker on the 50th anniversary hybrid says it is a Sirius or XM satellite ready system but it requires an antenna, receiver and subscription.
    Does anyone know about the Shark fin antennas on the high end cars?. I would assume they would get great radio reception. All I have now is what Toyota calls a multidirectional window antenna. They say its a fibreoptic cable and aftermarket shops say they cant do anything with it.
    I love the car but my wife only gets about 34 mpg. Would synthetic oil help?
    Ive been trying to pene
    :cry: trate the armor of Toyota Corp to get real answers to my questions. The customer service number seems to be for easy to answer questions only and they bounce you back to the dealer.
    I contacted JBL about the stereo and they said Toyota OEM manufactures their own JBL stereos.
    Mine came with XM built in and I had it activated for a three month trial period. I have had my Sirius Stiletto installed by an Auto Specialty shop. If I had to choose, I can't live without my Sirius... also, the aftermarket Sirius antenna on the trunk of my car gets better reception than the XM antenna that is behind the back seat.

Between learning how to drive the car and the 3,000 mile mark... I started to get better mpg's. Found little difference in the oils... I use a blend. My mpg's went from 32-34 to 38-41. It takes time and practice and sometimes annoys my wife.

My auto specialty store is great at evaluating radios. With my Saab they said there is no point in trying to switch speakers.. so before you do anything take it to someone who knows and find out if and what you could replace it with, otherwise just do a Sirius or XM add on... easier and cheaper. Hope this helps.
    Can you please tell me where you got the headlight upgrade installed or where they got the parts. What about the igniter power surge?

I wonder if they could tie in to the 120 amp power outlet in the console?

I have no other use for it.
    Has anyone installed a block heater to keep the ICE warm for morning FE. It seems to keep running until it is warmed up Pat Clarke
    Went to Auto Image in New Jersey. This was a $500 installation and came with what I think are regulators of some sort. I have been going to these guys for after market accessories for a few years... they are reliable. Call them and ask away, their number is 908-218-9757.

I have the box the lights came in, if you need more info I can get it for you.
    Has anyone installed a block heater for FE in winter to avoid cold starts.?

I sent this question as a reply today and my mail program returned it so here it is as a new thread.

Also does anyone have a problem with brake squeal?
    There is a TSB on brake squeal. I had it. My dealer acknowledged the problem immediately and the TSB procedure fixed it.
  • hybrid4mehybrid4me Member Posts: 8
    When the key fob gets out of range of the car, the engine and power would shut off automatically. Many reports have come out of folks leaving the engine on and forgetting to shut the power button off.
    My car came with a remote starter that the dealer installed. After starting the car the fob is no where close to being in range but the car does not stop running. Don't know if this helps, but I just thought of this.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I didn't think a remote would work with the push button start. Doesn't the fob have to be within close range for the vehicle to start (and press on the brake pedal)? I guess you could leave the fob in the car for the remote to function. However, what about the brake pedal? I guess anything is possible with modern technology.
  • hybrid4mehybrid4me Member Posts: 8
    I also have the remote start key fob and the vehicle will start when I am over 200 feet away. I have not tried to move the vehicle without the fob yet, but I will let you know what happens.