Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Accessories & Modifications

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Talk about add-ons and improvements for the TCH here.

Comments

• cbear9494cbear9494 Member Posts: 9
    Longtime lurker and hopefully new TCH owner in a week or two.

Anyone with experience with Classic Soft Trim installations in the TCH or other cars. We are next in line to receive a TCH with cloth but would like leather. Are considering a sunroof as well. Quoted $1300 for leather and $1000 for sunroof which is similar to MSRP.

I've read favorable reviews of CST but just wondering if there is any 1st hand experience.

-c
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    I have no first-hand experience, so this entire message may be useless to you. That said, about a month ago I came across a pretty dire warning from a 2007 Camry owner (non-TCH) who opted for a dealer-installed sunroof, pre-delivery. She was trying to buying the car because she was so dissatisfied with their "craftsmanship". Not to say that no dealer can do the job, but I will say that I wouldn't TRUST any to do the job!

FWIW, I have heard some good comments about dealer-installed leather.
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    I have seen some negative comments about aftermarket leather, as well. There was concern about the function of the seat-mounted side airbags, too.
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    Good point about the airbags. I just assumed the dealers had that figured out, without actually checking into it myself. Of course, I'm not a fan of leather, so I never felt the need to research. YMMV. ;)
  • pskpsk Member Posts: 18
    I had aftermarket leather added and I am very happy. The dealer used a local shop that does this kind of thing and it was done very fast and easy. I don't think there is any issue w/ the the quality compared to a factory job.

Why this process works so well is that there are kits that they use, it's not like they are sewing and cutting patterns like I thought it would be. They get a box from a company called katzkin and everything basically just slides on. I went to the shop that installed mine to see how they did it, and then I realized all this is pretty routine and no big deal or mystery.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    has anyone tried to further improve the interior appearance? i.e. leather inserts in the doors, etc.?
  • rscotts54rscotts54 Member Posts: 47
    My Dealer had Classic Soft Trim (Austin) add a sunroof to my Highlander. The install looks as good as (or better than) factory. I had a problem with the roof controller and they fixed it immediately while I waited. I'd use them again if I needed another roof.

I don't have any experience with their leather. However, I watched them do a couple of cars while I waited. They seem to use experienced staff vs. new kids off the street to do the work.

Hope this helps! Of course, YMMV...
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Up intil a couple of months ago we put leather into vehicles roughy 20 times a month ( including my own Highlander ). There has been nearly a 100% positive response.

However recently Toyota CAT gave us some 'guidance' that we should no longer do this as a dealer since Toyota 'may' not be responsible for faulty deployment of the side airbags in the event of an installation error by an aftermarket firm. Thus we no longer offer this service at any price.

If a client absolutely demands the leather installation we will direct him to the installer - outside of the transaction.
  • cbear9494cbear9494 Member Posts: 9
    What is "Toyota CAT" if you don't mind me asking.

Hmmmm...interesting....so the dealers who don't do this and do keep this in the transaction are taking on the risk. Makes my decision a bit trickier. I wonder what the installation companies are going to say.

-c
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Toyota's sales are divided into regions. CAT is Central Atlantic Toyota ( VA to PA ) as opposed to the NY region or the Gulf States Region. As in everything each region has a different policy.

The installation companies are likely to be the first line of attack in the event in a damages suit. Most are small independent businesses with little or no capital.

In the past this was almost never an issue because side and curtain airbags were few and far between located mostly in premium vehicles with leather already installed. Now these are becoming standard all the way down to the econo-boxes so the issue is very pertinent. Put another way the risk exposure for a large manufacturer might be very large with millions of these vehicles going out onto the road each year instead of a few thousand.
  • mndanmndan Member Posts: 4
    What about adding heated seats only, without leather. Is this still a warranty risk?

I am planning to get a TCH in Minnesota, where heated seats are real nice. I don't care as much about leather, so I am thinking of adding the heat to the cloth seats. Would this case an airbag problem/risk?

Should I get the leather added with the heated seats (does it seem odd to have heated cloth seats)?

It will be faster for me to get the TCH without leather, etc, and add these later for the same or less cost.
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    I suspect that the leather is required for heated seat because of their durability. I can't recall ever seeing cloth heated seats.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Both VW and Subaru offer cloth heated seats. It's actually a nice combination- you are never freezing cold or searing hot when you first sit down with cloth seats, and the heated seats are very nice on cold days. It's just that heated seats are typically on more expensive cars- which are usually leather.

I am still debating adding aftermarket leather seats. I've seen cars done with Classic Soft trim- very nicely done- even nicer than the factory leather, IMHO. There are also more color and stitching options with aftermarket leather. I'm not sure about the airbag issue though.

tom
  • aaeeekgaaeeekg Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone have photos of your car with the factory Body Side Molding (BSM) applied. With the addition of the side airbags the window level has risen, and I just think that the door panel would look better with the trim. I am also interested from the chip/ding protection perspective but am concerned about how it may look.

Have ordered a Desert Sand TCH and am wondering how the matching BSM would look. I also wonder about installing black BSM along with the mud flaps. It would sure be nice to see them in advance.

I'm curious that I have yet to see a car with BSM installed. Is it not fashionable these days?

I'm always a decade behind on these things. Just ask my wife.
  • lungdoc63lungdoc63 Member Posts: 55
    I asked my wife about your idea -she said aggggggggghhhhhhhhhh. Hope that helps - as if your needed that added to your wife's. (Psstt -I'd have to say aggghhhh too- sorry)
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Have any of you installed aftermarket wheels? What did you get? Did your TPMS work with them and if not can you turn the sensor system off?
  • primo2primo2 Member Posts: 31
    i ordered a dash cover through toyota for my 07 TCH...it came back with a cut out for the passenger air bag where there is no cut out in the dash...i checked with an auto detailing place, they made a few calls and could not find a place to order from that makes the dash covers for the 07 TCH...please let me know if you know what direction i can find one...thanks
  • ggurr54ggurr54 Member Posts: 30
    I have a white TCH with body side molding. They look good. I didn't order them the dealer just happened to have an unsold TCH on the lot with them on. I got my car after a wait of about one hour.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I just read in the owners manual about a possible negative effect on the nav system after window tinting.

Can anyone address this?

Has anyone tinted their windows and had negative effect on the GPS???

Have an appointment to get mine tinted today, so quick responses would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    What your manual must be referring to is the fact that the GPS cannot "see" the GPS satellites through metal. If the GPS antenna is mounted inside the car, metallic window tint, wired rear defrosters, windshield mounted radio antenna, or a solar reflective windshield can affect reception.

So I guess it depends on where your GPS antenna is mounted.
  • primo2primo2 Member Posts: 31
    i have had no problems with the gps because of the tinting...i asked to make sure that there was no metal in the tinting...with metal in tinting, i know it can affect radio reception as well...i will try and upload a picture of my TCH to my carspace
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    Look into ceramic tint for you back Window. My last car had NAV and I got Ceramic tint on back and the standard metallic tinit on the sides. This will not interfere with GPS. While I do not have NAV in my TCH I am considering mouting an after market unit and will put the antenna in the back so I got Ceramic in the back window to be safe. I also find that metalic in the back window even without NAV can interfere with AM/FM reception since that antenna is in the rear glass.
    Thanks for all the replies!

I got the tinting done without metal, and yes, primo2 and keithl, they call it ceramic... thanks! Solar Gard NR Charcoal. I put on 35% and 23%. I believe the law allows 33% on front windows in AZ. Looks great, and the nav and smart key work just fine.

The tint shop told me of a Mercedes they recently tinted with metal, at the owners request. Next day, after she went shopping, she couldn't get back in her car! Had it towed to dealer. Dealer said it was the metal tint! The tint was removed and ceramic put on. I guess Mercedes has the reciever inside the car for their smart key feature.
    Does anyone know about color-matched mud guards for the TCH?

I've only found the black ones on-line. However, I've seen pictures with matching guards.

Can't see putting black mudguards on a white car.

Thanks!
  • mrsjenn25mrsjenn25 Member Posts: 10
    Hellooo my fellow TCH owners :)

I am the proud owner of a white fully loaded TCH. I was just browsing in the fourums and there two things that I have not figured out yet:

1. One owner stated there was a way to change the NAV
    so that it will allow you to input addresses while
    driving.

2. "We have the NAV system, and I also find the trip
    computer screen to be "entertainment". We strive to
    collect little regenerative cars...."

Just curious if anyone knows how to fix the NAV to allow the input and what the "little regenerative cars" are?

Thanks!! :)
    I stopped by the dealer today. There is a part for the (white) color keyed mud guards. However, they are backordered. I will advise when I get more info.
  • mharris813mharris813 Member Posts: 20
    Why yes, I "hack" mine regularly... Select the Volume option (in Nav), then press the volume icon (upper left) then the blank area (lower left) and repeat... (volume/blank), then another screen pops up, select OVERRIDE and press for 5 seconds or until it beeps.... then you are IN!!!! This will stay on until you turn the car off and then you'll have to do it again....

Of course, it is best to do this with a passenger, and not be distracted while driving... blah, blah, blah.... ;)
    Well for the moment I've listened to your advise. I picked up my loaded Desert Sand TCH on 7/25 and kept it as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Actually it was part laziness as I figured out that I can add it at anytime. OK, I have wised up enough to forget about the black trim but am still considering the matching BSM. Did I see another post suggest that matching mud flaps might also be available?

Still deciding. Has anyone got pictures?
    :shades:
  • rpinchotrpinchot Member Posts: 1
    aaeeekg wrote:
    > Still deciding. Has anyone got pictures?

Here is a pic of the Body Side Molding:

Nice picture. Thanks.

I like the look. (But I haven't warmed up to Jasper yet.)

I'm liking the look without molding too.
    Now that I have mine, I'm just liking more and more about the TCH just the way it is.

Body side molding and mud flaps might be good ideas to help protect the paint, but I don't know that they are all that effective.

Comments anyone...
  • mrsjenn25mrsjenn25 Member Posts: 10
    I must agree. The BSM doesn't look bad by any means, but it really reminds me of the older body styles.
  • drat4drat4 Member Posts: 7
    What kind of pricing is out there for tinted windows :shades: ? Thanks! Love the forums, will contribute when my TCH comes in!
  • mharris813mharris813 Member Posts: 20
    I suppose the prices are regional, but I got mine done last week, aftermarket, from a place I've been going to for 15 years, and they charged me $149. This is for 35%/20%, something like that... (amount of light they diffuse...) I chose the maximum allowed by our state of Texas!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Glad you're having fun! We'll expect a full report on that TCH in the New Camry Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report discussion once it comes in! :D
  • tarukytaruky Member Posts: 18
    I was told by the dealer that the highest interior upgrade (package # 3) will not be available for about a year. They said that the package #2 plus after market installation of leather and DVD navigation will be the same thing. Anyone have any experience on this issue, or know the story behind these upgrades? My instincts tell me there will be something missing with after market installation.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    One the Toyota site, it allows you to build and order your Camry, and it is showing one "option package"...

Option Combination #B $1,365
    - 50 State Emissions (FE)
    - Leather-Trimmed Seats & Door Trim w/Integrated Armrests, Dual Front & Rear Map Pockets & Multi-Adjustable Power Driver's Seat w/Adjustable Headrest & Lumbar Support (Coupe Only) (LA)

The site is not showing any other options or packages for the hybrid....
  • tarukytaruky Member Posts: 18
    That's really odd. A few days ago on that same "build your car" page they had DVD navigation, etc. as an option. And on my brouchure (hybrid page) they show it with the navigation. Anyhow, the dealer says they install an ecllipse DVD navigation system. Has anyone seen how they do it? I'm curious as to whether the ugly ecllipse buttons will be hidden by a Camry face plate or not. Have to ask them tomorrow.
    Do yourself a favor and call your nearest Toyota zone or regional office.......and get the real info.
  • splaund1splaund1 Member Posts: 4
    Has anybody installed the side window deflectors on their new Camry? If so was there any change or increase in the air noise at interstate speed levels? Thanks for your input.
  • psepse Member Posts: 14
    Someone had mentioned in the past where to get the moonroof wind deflector on an e-bay store for about $50-60. However, now I am unable to find it. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks
    It must have been a sarcastic comment..... ;)
    It must have been a sarcastic comment.....

That wasn't very hard. Go to ebay / type Camry deflector and a dozen items + store items pop up. (make sure you get the 07)

http://search.ebay.com/CAMRY-DEFLECTOR_W0QQfromZR41
    Well, sorry Mr. Gasguy, I read it to be asking for the Moonroof and deflector for that price..... :P
  • psepse Member Posts: 14
    Thanks, I'm telling you I tried that and nothing came up yesterday. Maybe there search engine operation was down. Either way thanks!
    Well, sorry Mr. Gasguy, I read it to be asking for the Moonroof and deflector for that price.....

I didn't mean anything towards your comment.

But $50 I'll cut him a moonroof and with a few 2x4's and some plywood I can make a sweet deflector
    But $50 I'll cut him a moonroof and with a few 2x4's and some plywood I can make a sweet deflector

Darn! I already paid Toyota much more than that for my moonroof, guess I shoulda "done my homework" ;)
    No problem, was just being a smart [non-permissible content removed], as someone has stolen my computer glasses again :P

I would worry about installing the deflector and causing a leak. :(
    as someone has stolen my computer glasses again

Ahhh! Sams Warehouse_ 3 for $20 will take car of that.
    :P

Yeah....only the dirty tricksters keep returning them to me....like leaving them for me or others to find at the breakfast place I go to! :shades:
  • infin1tyinfin1ty Member Posts: 4
    I was embarassed for someone to read this on the sticker of my new TCH. Has anyone successfully changed these out with aftermarket HID lamps?