Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• crazydancrazydan Member Posts: 39
    my99,f350,diesel ,died and have not got it to run again,i got a crank sensor,used from hybury ford,that didn,t work,now what?codes that came up are ,p1119 manifold air temp circuit hi ,po470exhaust pressure sensor fault,, ive pulled valve covers can,t find anything, hey ford,just kill me,and get it over with,your doing it too slowly,u pricks.i hate my 2 ford f350s,make me sick,fuel pigs,everythings junk,i,ve replaced2signal lightswitches radio, ,day time headlight only,pedalmodule,injectors,wire harness,shifting rod in column,and 5 more, ive replaced,just shoot me ford....i hate ford or u pay for the rope for to hang my self, ford junk sucks,crazydan@gmx.com
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    As noted in the post box instructions, we ask that you not put your email address in your messages. The posts are viewable buy the entire internet and we have no control over who (or what) will use that address for malicious purposes.

If you wish to be contacted, make your forum profile email address "public" - use the "Forum Preferences" link in the right margin.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    it died,after running ten minutes,changed crank sensor,no fuel ,2 fuses are not getting power in dash?in middle row,help me so i can sell for cheap,codes that showed up are,p1119, po470
    on my hunk of junk itwas that the oil line for lubrication of the turbo becomes loose and the oil runs down like that you described,start pulling stuff off the top of the eng, and youl find it,,,crazydan
  • coffee6coffee6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 350 7.3 with 240000 miles
    She will start cold. Whin she warms up she will die with out any codes.
    To start again starting fluid is needed. ICP , IPR and cam sensers have changed.
    Injecters are remand also. Fuel a is at 50 psi high oil pressure is 700 pis cold levels out to 550 psi. Can any one help
  • kart24kart24 Member Posts: 3
    A long shot……
    Maybe its sucking air in the fuel line somewhere >>>>>>>???? This might cavitate the injectors

Or heat is causing fuel to bubble somewhere causing similar cavitation

good luck !
  • cwo99cwo99 Member Posts: 3
    Hi and Help!

I am the original owner of a 99 diesel. The truck has 220k miles and I use it for heavy towing about 1/3 the time. I have an adjustable SuperChips Module for the truck. Over the years, I have had to replace several glow plug relays, glow plugs, wiring harnesses, a re-called cam shaft sensor, and the pcm once. For about a year now, the truck will not start after sitting for a couple days unless plugged in. If plugged in, it starts pretty easily. If I cannot plug it in, I have to use a little starting fluid which I know is bad for the engine. Once started, it runs on less than 8 cylinders until completely warmed up if not plugged in. I have had the truck to the Fort Collins, CO dealership and they can't seem to get to the root problem. They charge me a thousand bucks or so and I get out on a job site somewhere and the problem comes back. They now have it for the third time! What the heck???
  • tmstimtmstim Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody,
    I'm new here and I could really use some advice. I'm considering buying this truck. It seems to run great and it looks great too. I loved the truck until I started reading that the '03 6.0 diesel was nothing but trouble. I'm looking for longevity and reliability, not headaches. So I would very much appreciate your advice/opinions.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    Run away from it as fast as you can, lol. Find a nice 2002 or 01 with a 7.3 in it, actually there are a few 2003's with 7.3's in them but not many. See if there a RB Auction near and check to see if they have any coming in.
  • rollingcoalrollingcoal Member Posts: 1
    I would either look for a 7.3 Ford or 5.9 Dodge.
  • mckenzie101mckenzie101 Member Posts: 12
    Tim,
    I did the same. I bought a 2003 King Ranch with 6.0 and didn't realize what I was doing. It was a beautiful truck. However, I got rid of it at about 91,000 miles. Some of my friends were having engine failure at 94-100,000 miles and the Ford Dealers were giving them the run around. I am now a proud owner of a 2007 Dodge Mega Cab with the 6.7L Cummins Diesel. The Dodge's have been good but were always loud! The newer ones are just as quiet as Ford now. Don't be fooled by the extremely low price of the 6.0! There's a good reason. :sick:
  • jf4jf4 Member Posts: 1
    I had the opportunity to get the 7.3L in 2003 when I bought my F350 with a 6.0. Bad choice with the 6.0. Been in for oil leaks 6 times or so. Once they had the truck for a week pulling the engine. Currently have 93K miles on it and in for high pressure oil pump, two injectors, rear main seal (3rd time for this one), crank sensor seal. It is 6 months out of the 5year 100K warranty. I am looking at around $8K to fix it all. I would run kicking and screaming from a 6.0.
  • stammer2stammer2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering an '05 F350 with the 6.0L diesel. I've been reading these last few posts and other reports about how that engine had some serious problems when Ford made the transition from 7.3L to 6.0L. Has Ford been able to fix those issues? Or do all the same headaches show up in the '04s, '05s, '06s...?
  • charlie890charlie890 Member Posts: 3
    I really don't know why I post this stuff other than to relieve frustration. Our F450 just broke down on the road, with the horse trailer and horses, for the THIRD time.

It is in Oklahoma City, well more accurately towed to the Ford dealer in Ponka City. Same as the last two times in past months. Loses power, snorts a bit, engine light comes on and it won't restart. First time it was the electrical harness that runs behind the engine, took two weeks to fix. Second time it was diagnosed as fuel injector #1 and only after replacing that three times did they figure out it was the wiring TO the FI that was the problem, two weeks. This time they can't look at it until this afternoon but I am definitely not optimistic. We live in Alberta, Canada so this is a real big problem for us, particularly with the horses in tow. When (if) I ever get the POS back home I will be looking to go after Ford through Canada's lemon law. From what I read on this post and others it is just beyond belief that Ford still sells this junk. :lemon: :sick: :mad:
  • bill217bill217 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 f350 dual wheel 6.4 diesel with crew cab & 8' bed I just bought it used with 17,000 miles on it. I have a trailer that weights about 3 - 4,000 pounds and on take off I can hear the engine struggling but once it is rolling you don't even know it is there is this normal to hear or does something need to be serviced on it. With this big of a truck I wasn't expecting to notice it at all.
  • mulescoutmulescout Member Posts: 7
    :sick: I have a 97 F-250 4x4 Power Stroke Diesel. I was driving along when all of a sudden the engine lost power and felt like an injector or 2 was not working, just out of the blue. I had it scaned and it show all 4 injectors on passenger side was not working. I pulled the valve cover to check the under the cover wiring harnesses and they both are fine, I even check continuity and harness fine, I checked the harness from the junction block near the fuse box under the hood and they still showed no broken wires, good continuity. I then checked my voltage to all my injectors and the drivers side was all getting 2.4-2.5, but the passenger side front 3 injectors show nearly no voltage, the back one shows some but not up to the drivers side. with the engine running, I can disconnect all 4 injectors from the passenger side and no difference in how it runs. I am at wits end, where do I go from here. I tried swapping relays with no change. What else should I check? Positioning sensor is fine and new also. :sick: :lemon:
    I forgot to mention, the valve cover gaskets are fine and the connectors had good test readings on all points too.
    Is there any way I can test the injector control module (IDM) or do I have to have it done somehow at a dealer?
    all i can say is that when you find out please tellme to my 99 died one month ago bud....help me to you to, idm box is my guess but im not sure,yet crazydan@gmx i nedd it to run to sell please
    oh, boy get it down the road as donny edgar would say, your playing with a hand granade,6ltr ay im not impressed good luck, i need it
  • fomocobrosfomocobros Member Posts: 3
  • fomocobrosfomocobros Member Posts: 3
    Just wondering how common this problem is becoming. I bent a pushrod on Dec.27th/08 and just got my truck back on March 5th/09. I asked what the reason was for a bent pushrod and they assured me it was Amsoil and that it wasn't CJ-4 approved. When i brought them the bottel of amsoil to show them it was, they quickly told me that Ford wouldn't warranty any engine running amsoil. I asked them for an oil sample because i did some research and amsoil has a warranty program with their oil in that if it causes a breakdown, they will fix it. The ford tech told me they dropped the oil and there was nothing to send in. When i asked to see my parts, they were all wiped perfectly clean....even the gaskets so there was no chance of getting even a drop of oil off of them. Now i am curious why ford was so quick and diligent with wiping the parts clean. After looking furnther into this, it seems it is actually a fairly common problem. So now with all that is said and done, i was left paying the 8K out of my pocket to fix the truck. Does anyone know if there is a way to file a complaint of see how to go about trying to make this a recall?

Any help would be nice.
  • jfraleyjfraley Member Posts: 1
    Try the alternator. Same thing happed to me. I was driving and it just shut down. the dealer told me it was the alternater. He said the computer showed as the aternater lost power it shut the injectors down.
  • fairlane67fairlane67 Member Posts: 2
    we have 2 06 PS diesels one in a 1 ton with a banks six gun tuner hold on to your seat she runs like a raped ape cam sensor problems twice only due to a manufacture defect no oil leaks but have to run cetane booster you can thank the government for that the other is a 1 ton dually only problem was the garrett turbo stuck do to sitting in the garage after a severe weather change moisture with a slight rust coating made the turbo stick ford footed the bill to clean up the turbo they actually replaced it all in all 8 outts of 10 not all are bad just like the rest of them some you have problems some you dont lifes a gamble ;)
    check the plug on driverside valve cover , wiring harness make sure the wire for the crank sensor isn,t got ware on the wires ,rap some extra tape on wire harness there,near the plug they rub on the valve cover.
    the wire in your shifter gets broken after a while and created this problem buy a used shifter with a good 3 wire harness,crazydan@gmx.com
  • bltfrdtghbltfrdtgh Member Posts: 4
    does it pass a buzz test?i would double check the connection between the inj harness and valve cover gasket again,im a for tech and it may look connected but wiil bite yoy if not fully seated.also there is a way to test the idm but the fact you lost a whole bank mames me believe the problem is not the idm,but anything is possible.whats your icp.oil press could be a prob if none is getting to that head.
  • stos1stos1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys. I have a 1994 ford f250, 5spd. It's not a powerstroke though, it's just direct injection. Is there anything I can do to it like chip it or something. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.
  • autry_fordautry_ford Member Posts: 9
    2004 F-250 Running Horrible

This problem started a few months ago and I cannot get it fixed. The problem shows up worse when in cruise control or towing but does occur without a load or not in cruise control.

When traveling at a steady speed and a little acceleration is applied, engine sputters, bucks and blows heavy black smoke out of tailpipe. When enough throttle is given to downshift out of overdrive, it is o.k. Truck has approximately 69k miles and has given no trouble until the last 5 months.

I have changed the fuel filter, flushed the transmission and taken to dealer where purchased. Dealer performed a recall on something (not sure, it was a harness or plug or something). They recalibrated the ECM. None of above mentioned work helped. Truck does the same thing. Also getting horrible fuel mileage.

It is near impossible to get truck into a local dealer. Both say 2-3 weeks wait list. That's why I brought it to dealer where purchased but they are 1.5 hours from where I live.

Any suggestions on what to look for are greatly appreciated...
    Hey bass,

I just posted about the same problem before seeing your post (message 539). Did you ever find the problem. I've tried fuel filters, tranny flush and ford changed something to do with a recall and recalibrated the ECM - all to no avail.

Mine started out while towing uphill and has gotten progressively worse to the point of doing it with no load on straight roads.
    i have a99 f 350 i can,t get running for 2 months, its killing me it just died, its not getting signal to run the injectors no fuel through the injectors, the garage at ford is having trpouble. what size engine are you got in the 04 truck?
  • jhbutlerjhbutler Member Posts: 4
    you might try dropping your fuel tank and check to see if the silver coating is coming off and plugging the tank filter. since we have to use ultra low sulfa, maybe its not geting enough oil in the fuel, in that case i would try one quart of 2cycle oin in afull tank. i did and it solved my problem.

lobo
    I have the 6.0 liter. I've heard many horror stories about the 6.0 but then again there are many around here that haven't had the first bit of trouble. Up to this point mine has also been trouble free. The most aggravating part for me is not being able to a local Ford dealer to take it in. It's a little inconvenient taking it to where I bought it. It's about 1-1/2 hour drive but I have it planned that next trip I take overseas, I'll just leave it with them. They'll have 4 weeks to figure out.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll discuss this with the mech when I leave it with them. What makes me curious about the lining is, it seems to me if a filter were plugging, I'd have the problem all of the time. If I could set it on a steady speed on a flat level road, I could drive it all day without trouble. The second I need that little increase, it starts. In a couple of weeks, I'll be leaving it with the dealer while I'm out of the country. Hopefully, something gets settled.
  • jhbutlerjhbutler Member Posts: 4
    if you take it to a ford dealer all you gonna get is the sane old run around like i did. i even called detroit same old run around. when i took the filter out i noticed some small silver flakes in it. thats when i thought someone had put something in the tank, not so. the tank inside is sprayed with some silver paint???? inside the tank was hand fulls of this silver stuff. i took the tank to a radiator shop and had them to boil it out for me. inside of the tank is a sock filter that collects all the big stuff . after that i decided to put the 2cycle oin in the tank, problem solved. by the way this is a f350 6.0 the only problem i have had with this engine.

lobo
    You are not the first and will NOT be the last that has problems with Amsoil. I know of 6 people around here that swore by Amsoil and everyone of them ended out having to replace pushrods or engines. A local certified diesel mech around here says his experience with Amsoil is STAY CLEAR of it, synthetic oil will not hold up to the demands of the high compression diesel engines and it blocks the small oil ports increasing the chances of bent push rods and spun bearings and is known to ruin injectors, after all the injectors on the power strokes use oil pressure as their main operating pressure , like 3000 pounds of oil pressure and Amsoil does not hold up to that kind of pressure, let alone breaking down and blocking small oil ports. He said 95% of the rebuilds he has to do is from people that used Amsoil. He even goes as far as making people sign a release of liability against him if any problems arise from them using Amsoil and this is a man that normally warrants any and all work he does. He said your parts are clean from the dealer as when Amsoil is used in an engine, you have to totally disassemble the engine and clean all parts to get the film off left behind by Amsoil, he said that film gets sorta sticky and restricts future lubrication from the parts properly. If the work was done properly by the Ford dealer, they would have removed all the Amsoil residue they can, most likely soking the parts in a cleaner tank or cooking the heads and block and more. As to the so called warranty, Amsoil will not honor its word if used in anything over a 1/2 ton truck or car, who has a diesel in a F-150????, they sent a letter to one guy stating the warranty is void and null if it is used for commercail purposes and any vehicle from 3/4 ton and above is defined as a commercail vehicle to them. That guy was a true blue Amsoil man too, he no longer uses it, he feels safer with go ole Rotilla now, afterall it has been used for millions and millions of BIG trucks for years and years and works the best. Take my advice STAY CLEAR OF AMSOIL IN THE FORD DIESELS
    if i was you ,id sell after and buy anything but a chevy or a ford,, or youl end up like me, broken down won,t run can,t fix the junk fast enough,everything breaks,they don,t care,the big three,,what can we do , if we don,t have the extra money for there mistakes,they run them around a track to see that the ware out period just exceeds the warranty , we can,t win,thats how i feel ,my 99f350 hasn,t ran for over 2 months, i was going to sell, but it died and now im not worth [non-permissible content removed],and ive got got [non-permissible content removed] that won,t run and ford is very happy with this bull--------im done now whining?crazydan....
  • skip21skip21 Member Posts: 16
    I posted 3 messages a while back,Have head lifting problem with my 2007 6.0.Took ford to arbitration in Jersey and lost.They blamed the banks system I had installed on my truck.This problem started back in 2002 and continues into 2008 6.4L.I was told this by diesel tech at dealer where I bought mine.I have talked to Jim Moore of banks warranty div.He sent me info to further go after ford to solve this.He also told me about a set of head bolts that will work.They are A R P head studs.They run between $700,to $800.He also told me another way to go.Banks will tell you a lot of info on these problems.Ford also will try to stall you till truck is out of warranty.From what I was told if you complaned about problem before warranty expired they have to honer it Gale Banks engineering has a lot of experence on these problems.There is 2 or 3 tech bullitins out by ford on this problem with the heads(TSB05_21_2.Also concerning aftermarket items,they can not void any warrranty based on Magnuson Moss consumer protection act of 1975 section 2302(a)#6Ford told me they were voiding my warranty till I mentioned this magnuson act. skip21
    check message 548 about this.it sounds like my problem.Ionly have 25,000 miles on truck,cant use it to haul camper or go over 45mph.
  • fulltimeinrvfulltimeinrv Member Posts: 1
    I'm quite sure this subject has come up many times, but lets do it again please may I?
    I have a '95 F350 XLT Turbo Diesel w/ex cab. The pan has just started leaking, this was once solved a couple years before by simply tightening the bolts of the pan, Aaahhh! But no more! It seems shops (including Ford) tell us the one and only fix is to remove the entire engine to free up the pan and replace the liquid silicone seal around--- Okay! So now a $25 or so dollar fix has turn into a $1500 nightmare repair including 13 hrs of labor to R&R engine. And you know they'll find something else to R&R in the process of this!!! Come on! There must be a easier (and much less expensive) way to get this pan leak fixed yes? Please help!

Honestly speaking, I would rather keep adding a quart of oil every week to her then spend this high cash outlay just because of Ford's design flaws to the frame/front end equipment pinning the oil pan in for life.

Thanks for your input in advance!
  • cook8776cook8776 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 f250 with the 6.0 an I just started haveing the same problem, I start it and go from parks to drive or reverse and it hesitates for 3-4 seconds before it enguages, does this sound like the same problems your haveing, but when i am driving it shifts fine an there are no other problems.
  • largecarlargecar Member Posts: 2
    it's an easy fix jeff... the wires to control your electronic injectors and your glow plugs run through your valve cover gaskets.... i beleive the gaskets are about 93$ a set and take about a half hour to install with a few simple hand tools
  • largecarlargecar Member Posts: 2
    take a look at your mass air flow sensor and see if there is a dirty fuzzy lookin debris on it..... if so go to your local auto parts shop and get a can of crc mass air flow sensor cleaner.... DO NOT USE ELECTRICLEAN THIS WILL DAMAGE THE SENSOR..... check into switching out from the ford powercore air filter to the wix conversion box.... its factory style with a simple flat paper air filter core.... it works wonderful..... i installed one on my 2004 powerstroke shortly after buying it last year to get rid of the troublesome powercore.... dirt roads and alot of field work will plug a powercore in just a few days
  • snoracersnoracer Member Posts: 1
    hello I am looking to possibly buy a 2003 F-250 with powerstroke 7.3L turbo diesel in mint condition.. only 24k on it...
    I have heard of cylinder head problems but not sure if they are on the 6.0 or all of the diesels in the line... any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks
  • paulpe99paulpe99 Member Posts: 6
    If that mileage is correct, you have an awesome deal there!!! The 7.3L motor is way bettter, stronger, and more reliable than the 6.0L. If I was you I'd have it checked out by a diesel mechanic and run an OASIS report. Get on the internet and check out the ton of diesel truck forums on the web. You'll see that the 7.3L is the right choice over the 6.0L.
    you are ok with the 7.3 diesel, stay away from the 6.L,you,ll be ok
    tods motors has had it for 3weeks and he can,t figure it out either,im at a loss. im going to have to sell my good running 02 ,f350 for9or10 just to keep going,we changed the pcm box , now what should i do.its getting fuel to the pump just not the injectors , no signal to the injectors,360kms on 02 help[ i,changed crank sensor,boy ford nows how to ruin lives,i was moving out west and then this truck killed me,by just dieing and never started again?crazydan@gmx.com
    I have been told to put arp head bolts on my 2007 diesel to eliminate the head bolts from streaching and allowing heads to lift .I am trying to find out if this can be done without taking cab off chasie.Any info will be greatly appricated.
    are you losing anti freeze when it dose this.If so you might consider what I am going through.Ford is from what I have learned trying to stall people till warrantees expire so they dont have to fix these problems.What is going on is that heads are liftin allowing compression to push anti out of fill cap and out exhust.I have 3 or 4 diff messages on this site about this.There are 3 or 4 service bullitins on this.It goes back to 2002 and also 2008. I have been fighting ford on since last sept