Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• secjr1secjr1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 7.3 f250 4x4 shifts into over drive and is rough up to 55 60 and above runs pretty smooth can anybody help im sry the year is 2000
  • azgreekazgreek Member Posts: 7
    After driving on freeway for a couple of miles and come to a stop and step on accelarater nothing happens the engine races then after a few seconds it takes hold?????????
  • maria35maria35 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a Ford F-350 used. Ran like a champ, but when we pulled our 24ft. trailer and went up some hills it coughed and blew out black smoke. At the same time the turbo booster moved.. Otherwise the truck so far runs ok. Can anyone suggest anything. Or should I just trade it in now for something else? 2003 F-350 6.0 Diesel 4X4 Dually.
  • ricker1ricker1 Member Posts: 9
    Would love to help but i have the same truck 2003 350 6-0 and it does the same thing but mine does it when i'm rolling down the highway or pullin something would love to know what it is. when the truck is cold it runs ok then after it warms up every once in a while it will blow black smoke real bad and when you stomp on it it clears out after you get the rpms up then runs ok for a while and starts all over agian. love the truck but if it don't run its bull. first time with a ford and might be the last if i can't find someone who can fix it without wanting to keep changing parts untill they find it or my money runs out
  • hazardous1hazardous1 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased an '03 6.0L. I have been left stranded on the side of the road 4 times in 280,000 miles. All problems were injector related. I understand that Ford's current twin turbo 6.4L diesels get poor mileage 10-12 mpg which is hard for me to swallow. But otherwise I hear they are strong. I use the truck to tow a bobcat and trailer which weighs around 10,000 lbs and when I can find some spare time a boat of around 7,000 lbs. I drive between 50-70,000 miles per year mainly highway but find myself needing 4 WD when i get on job sites. Can anyone give advice on which diesel 4 WD pick up to buy? My criteria is dependability, tow ability and comfort for me and my family. Has anyone heard if Toyota is coming out with a diesel truck for US consumers?
  • abouchabouch Member Posts: 6
    While the chassis on a Ford Super Duty is probably superior to a GM or a Dodge the 6.4L not only gets poor fuel mileage, it has the same number of cyl-head bolts as the 6.0L which I believe to be the weakest link. Until Ford replaces the engine family consider the 6.4L junk.

I will probably replace my 6.0L engine with a Cummins, since I don't believe any of the other frames are comparable and I am always hauling a load.
  • crazydancrazydan Member Posts: 39
    2002 f350,powerstroke7.3 superdutyseries,won,t run,the ,c2170 relay wont stop buzzing, clicking? no start.it,s like a bad ground or something? both of my fords don,t run...
    2002 f350,powerstroke7.3 super duty series,won,t run,the ,c2170 relay wont stop buzzing, clicking? no start.it,s like a bad ground or something? both of my fords don,t run...please help me get it running, even one of them?
  • maria35maria35 Member Posts: 2
    As soon as I find something from the dealer regarding the coughing and black smoke I will post it. But honestly I think its going to be an on going thing. I have read many posts and it just seems to be like a chronic illness my truck is going to have.
  • eddiew2eddiew2 Member Posts: 1
    03 F-250 bought new, now has 160000 miles. I was towing a car on trailer today when I noticed what I first thought was a vibration or torque convertor chatter, let off accerator, re applied and no problem, did this twice, then realized that it was a skip. Later on same trip I noticed huge smoke from exhaust at all speeds, worse under load. Later I hear slight pinging under light load. Also the normal diesel engine noise/rattle is louder than before. Oil level & pressure normal, coolant & temp normal however is overdue for oil change. All symptons appeared within 50 miles. Appears to be extremely rich of fuel, and exhaust smells of diesel fuel. I have had no other problems that re-flash of computer did not cure and one ICP sensor replacement.
    Any advice?
    Thanks, Eddie
  • autry_fordautry_ford Member Posts: 9
    Hello maria, if you wish, look back into my previous post (#539 original & #561 fixed). I was having similar problems as you and Eddie (post #725).

Basically, my problem began with a little sputtering and black smoke - mostly when towing. It became progressively worse. As it got worse, even when not towing, I could set my cruise control and when going up an incline it would sputter and belch black smoke (locomotive). The only way to stop it was to accelerate into passing gear and it would run like nothing was wrong. If it is the same problem, it won't get any better. It got to where it wouldn't have to be in cruise control or going up an incline and this would occur.

The owner at the local Meineke shop had me run a transmission flush. I thought he was crazy but did it anyway. He said some people were having trouble with fluids and torque converters. I had hope because the first trip seemed like things were back to normal. But, on the way back home - same old crap.

I was becoming really agravated because there are two local ford dealerships and probably 3 (at best) diesel mechanics between them. Of course there was the perpetual 3 week waiting list to get in (and they wonder why I won't deal with them anymore). In years past, I had purchased other vehicles from both of these, but this vehicle was purchased somewhere else. Therefore, no willingness to help.

The dealer I purchased this one from is approximately 1 1/2 hours from home - not real convenient. After only two trips to original dealer, problem was fixed. First time they changed some sensors, etc that were on a recall and they thought was the problem - nope. The second time, with more investigating - they changed my EGR valve/sensor (whatever the hell it is). And of course the extended warranty plan I chose did not cover this. Oh well, I spent a few hundred bucks where if I didn't, I don't think the truck would have been driveable much longer.

They also warned me that some fuel and exhaust temp sensors were giving bad readings and may be going bad. If they did go out, you could dump your coolant through your exhaust and burn things up. This job is more like $1100 bucks. I thought the bad readings could have been from the truck running bad because of the other problems. Must be, I haven't had ANY problems since.

I have the 2004 6-liter and it only has about 77k miles on it. Other than this problem, I have been very pleased with the truck. Except of course the "sucky" fuel mileage. But, you should know enough to expect that from ford. I try not to visit here too often because of everybody else's horror stories - makes me want to keep the truck parked. I hate knowing so many people are constantly having trouble - maybe I just got lucky.

Anyways, hope this helps and wish you luck with your problem...
  • autry_fordautry_ford Member Posts: 9
    eddie, see my reply above to maria - hope it helps...
    she,s going to fly apart,the pistons are going to melt,its ford wonderful,none of my fords run either,dead is a ford letter word too!
  • 08f450owner08f450owner Member Posts: 2
    I bought this truck 2 years ago and was my dream truck, it is a F-450 diesel. Before this I had a 2002 and never had one problem with it. So far with the 08 it has gone to the shop 3 times now. First time it was for the radiator second time was an oil leak and the third time is same thing, oil leak. The first oil leak was a gasket on the dip stick so I figured no big deal. About two months later I noticed oil in my driveway again. So I brought it back and this time they found four oil leaks. One from the crank case, one from the glow plugs, one from the glow plug harness and one from the dip stick again! I don't really push the truck hard, I'm a contractor and pull a trailer almost every day but the truck should have no problem doing this. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this kind of thing or heard of oil leaks in other trucks as well. At this point I am loosing work from this truck and wondering if I should just trade the damn thing in for a new one.
  • 08f450owner08f450owner Member Posts: 2
  • ajattwoodajattwood Member Posts: 4
    has anyone mentioned to you to use Injector Cleaner and Fuel Cleaner additives??
    No one told us that - of course because they want to replace all the choked up parts - we have 214,000 k on ours and have never used any cleaner additives and it started this choking and sputtering and spewing black smoke - seemed to clog up when we slowed down (driving through town) and then you could feel it clogging up and then spew it's smoke. As soon as we added some injector cleaner it stopped within 3 days!
    Hope it helps - sure made us happy !! $10 instead of $2000
    I'd been having trouble with coughing (I called it choking, sputtering and spewing) and the black smoke. Also - I was searching all over the web trying to find answers - seems like its against the law for somebody to come right out with an answer !!
    We have an 04 6.0L with 214,000 km on it and no one had ever mentioned using injector cleaner or fuel cleaner additives - because of course they only want to replace the choked up parts ! So we used injector cleaner and fuel cleaner and after 3 days it had stopped - the next tank of fuel we did it again - it sputtered going through town like it had just found a new deposit of gunk - spit it out and has been perfect since. Don't know if it's the same issue you're having but that's what we did and I'm trying to post it everywhere so people can see because it seems to be such a huge issue everywhere!
    Good luck !
    we have an 04 6.0L with 214,000 km on it and no one had ever mentioned that injector cleaner and fuel cleaner should be used on these motors - because of course they only want to do the repairs for thousands of dollars !! (My husband drives semi and they never use any of these cleaners on their big motors - so we never thought anything of it)
    I searched everywhere on the web trying to find an answer and there are a million issues logged with this problem.
    We used Injector Cleaner and Fuel Cleaner and after 3 days the choking and spewing stopped. Next tank of fuel we did it again and it sputtered and choked out black smoke through town like it had found new gunk deposits and spewed it out and haven't had an occurence since.
    Hope this helps somebody out there - cause you just can't seem to find answers only issues !!
    Good Luck cause we love our truck !
  • michael351michael351 Member Posts: 1
    I started to work this morning and all of a sudden my power stroke started missing like a V-8 gas engine with only six plugs firing. What and how should I start tracing this problem
    im not sure, no one has helped me fix my two broke down trucks,1,1999,,,1,2002 f350 diesel are killing my living and life, they don,t run very long unless you are rich and stupid enough to drive a ford , my ford was given to me and it still has caused me to go broke, dead is a ford letter word,,,mine are all dead,and they self disstrucked, you don,t have to do anything wronge,i hate the ford motor co.kepp building junk you stupid bastards!
  • fordisbadfordisbad Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my f350 new in July,06.I then heard the 6.0 engine was having major problems at around 40K. When I passed 45k I thought I had dodged a bullet. Then in June of 08 the engine went down on a trip to NJ. I limped in to my dealer to find out it was defective head bolts (it had 47k on it). The dealer kept it a total of 13 weeks and it took 3 tries to "get it right" per my service advisor. During this time I did not get a penny for car rental.
    Then in Feb. this year (09) it started having problems at 52K on a trip to Dallas. The dealer said all he could do was check it out and he then install 2 new injectors.
    I then took it to Fla. on another trip. On the way at 57K it completely died. I took it to the dealer in ST. Cloud FL. He called me that after noon and said it was repaired and ready to pick up. I went to the dealer at 5PM that afternoon and picked up my truck. The second I started the engine I smelled the raw diesel small even more than I had before I brought it in. The service manager said they replaced the same injectors the Dallas dealer had. He said to bring it back in after a couple of days. The service advisor said usually after the engine is serviced it will smoke more than usual. By the way I have owned 11 diesel vehicles since 1994 and none smoked after service.
    When I brought the vehicle back the following week the service dept. took the cab off and disassembled the engine. They called me to take a look at the engine. The mechanic showed me marks on the piston that looked like it was hit with the side of a hammer. He then said they were waiting on the regional Ford rep. to make a decission on how much of the engine they would replace.
    At 7:45AM the next morning I got the call that forever changed my opinion on Ford Nad american vehicles. Ford refused to repair it due to a foreign object in the engine. Per the service advisor it was an 8MM bolt.
    I then proceeded to e-mail everyone I could including Ford Corp., Fl atty. general, chamber of commerce etc., etc..
    I sent ou numerous letters over the next several days without reply. I contacted an atty. in FL. I could not afford the retainer.
    Here I was, stuck in FL with my crew. I had always serviced the vehicles at the suggested intervals or before. I had only Ford Motor dealers to repair it.
    Man, what a nightmare. I hope nobody has to go through this.
  • fordisbadfordisbad Member Posts: 2
    I understand where you are coming from. I have owned all the american diesel trucks and they all had minor problems. Ford has had the major problems. It is always the Navistar built diesel engines that seem to be the lemons of the bunch. They had always repaired them under warranty when it was applicable. This last one did it for me. i am waiting for Toyota or Nissan to build a HD truck with a diesel engine.
    America I am really disappointed!!!
  • dbweaverdbweaver Member Posts: 88
    Why don't you guys move to Japan?
    move to mars and don,t have enough fuel to come back , ford motor co. dead is a ford letter word.japan is smarter than ford motor co. mars might work if they ran first?
    it really sounds like ford isn,t trying to make there product any better,yikes ,good luck, and you had to pay for that truck? ford people die young... no wonder...! dead is a ford letter word. cut it up so that it will fit in a pine box. thats what i think...junk,,, junk ,,, junk pop can,,i know?
  • johnminnjohnminn Member Posts: 52
    I have finally cured all the problems with the Superduty F350 with a 6.0 Liter Powerstroke engine.
    Body still looked like it was fresh off the showroom floor. Interior was also just great.
    -No more blown head gaskets, no more leaking inter-coolers, no more replacing the computer module, no more differential problems., no more shifting problems - Since it seemed the dealer had it more often than I did, I sold it and cured all my problems..
  • mrhurricanemrhurricane Member Posts: 12
    WOW, WOW, WOW.........CRAZYDAN, WE WHO HAVE BOUGHT THESE TRUCKS, WE ARE ALL CRAZY. I LIKE YOU HAVE A 08-450 IT SUCKS. FORD IS THE ONLY AMERICAN AUTO COMPANY THATS MAKING HUGE PROFITS OFF OF US IDIOTS. THEY ARE PROTECTED BY THE LAW, THE CONSUMER, ME AND YOU,WE LOOSE, WHY, WE ALL TALK ABOUT IT AND WE REFUSE TO STAND TOGETHER TO FIGHT THESE CRIMINALS. THEY ROB US, WE GO BROKE AFTER BUYING THEIR FAULTY PRODUCTS. THEY KNOW WE WANT STICK TOGETHER. I`VE COME HERE TO THIS SITE ASKING FOR SOME HELP ON COMING TOGETHER AGAINST THESE CROOKS, NO RESPONSE, I THINK WE JUST LIKE TO COMPLAIN. I GOT AN ATTORNEY, BECAUSE, I`VE GOTTEN TIRED OF BEING SCREWED BY FORD, 6.0, NOW 6.4. I`VE LOST INCOME OVER 250K, AND FORD DON`T FEEL RESPONSIBLE,THAT THEY SHOULD COMPENSATE ME FOR MY LOST. THEY ARE MAKING BILLION DOLLAR PROFITS, I SHOULD`NT BE THE ONLY ONE TALKING ABOUT SUING THESE BASTARDS, WE WHO HAVE THEIR NEWEST TRUCKS, ALL SHOULD BE PISSED WITH LOW MILEAGE PER GALLON, THESE DIFFERENT PROBLEMS THAT THESE TRUCKS HAVE. 7 TO 10 MILES PER GALLON AND YOU GOT BIG RIGS THAT GET BETTER THAN THAT, COME ON PEOPLE, PUT SOME HEAT UNDER THESE CROOKS. IF YOU USE YOUR TRUCK FOR BUSINESS LIKE I DO AND YOUR NOT WORKING THEN IT`S NOT THE ECONOMY THAT CAUSING YOU TO LOOSE EVERYTHING, IT`S FORD. YES, FORD WILL OFFER YOU 10 TO 15 BUT, IT`LL COST YOU MORE THAN THAT TO FIX THE DAMN THING, NOT TO MENTION YOUR LOST WAGES. IF YOU`RE A CONTRACTOR, SELF-EMPLOYED. WE MUST NOT LET THEM CONTINUE TO SCREW US LIKE THIS, SO, PLEASE LET`S MAKE THEM PAY FOR THEIR PROBLEMS.
    i sure feel your pain,and directing this message to me,thankyou ,since february this 1999f3504x4 has not run i,ve spent all my time and money on it with no avail. now i,m trying to sell it for some of the money, sell it to someone that will spend the money on an other motor, i can,t get anyone to buy it for 2000 dollars. i am finished. i got my 2002 running again after 3 months of trying, my time isn,t worth dick,i had to buy a 2000 chev and fixed sold it to make some money, at least they sell? my lifes investment is gone to the ford hounds, and i,m going to ford hell.ford should sell caskets or give us one with our new or used trucks, the caskets would really move the trucks.you cannot keep up to the broken junk on them,fords make you say ok im ready to die now. dead is a ford letter word, fords make poor furniture....crazydan
    what is your secret did call u call on a native to take it to the reserve, for target practice,hope nobody was standing on the other side because the bullets go right through the tinny, plastic ford bodies,wouldn,t want a non ford owner to die.they,er probley enjoying them selves shooting a ford to pieces.this is not a terrist act. it,s humane on man kind.did you ever see one burn? wow wow how wow hee yee pow wow
  • meeh3meeh3 Member Posts: 1
    This is the strangest thing, Truck was running fine, then i turned it off, ran inside and she refuses to start? I have good batteries, & changed the fuel filters, but still nothing. I know there are some issue, but this is a first. Any help?
  • bjpetersoncobjpetersonco Member Posts: 1
    I am doing just the opposite, 1997 Ford F350 5 spd to a e40d trans and have the same problems. I have been told that the pcm thinks it is still a stick trans and need to replace it with a new processer so it thinks it is now a auto trans. This might help you too.
  • dbweaverdbweaver Member Posts: 88
    I have 2 F250 Powerstroke deisels, a 1999 7.3 and a 2008 6.4. I have 150000miles on the '99 and 79000 0n the '08. I have replaced the clutch, water pump,and a speed sensor in the rearend of the '99 and worked it hard everyday. I haven't done anything to the '08 except routine maintenance and drive it. Part of my routine maintenance is Deiselkleen cetane boost and injector cleaner every two to three tankfuls.
    your going to have to be crazy if you think that this truck is going keep running good for you. you have alot well150 130km,s on it,? if you get it running, get rid of it before you end up like me,broke and nothing ever runs, it,s a 6.0 this model sir is a ticking time bomb. junk., don,t keep it... crazydan
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    Well I am with you db, outside of this one and it being my 6th Ford Diesel starting with the old 6.9. I have about the same thing to fix. My 01 has had some issues but it's because who ever had it before treated it bad. Will Ford show my problems than other yes but thats because they sell more diesels thant anyone else out there. It's like Furnace's, Goodman out sells everyone out there so of course they are gonna show as having more service calls on them and they should since the have 75% of the market over everyone else combined.
    Anyway I have said it before and will say it again if you think you are able to work on your truck and just start changing out parts that you are unsure of them being bad then take it to someone who can tell you for sure. I dont mean take it to a dealer in all cases but most of the time they do know. If they start changing parts on any Vehicle you make them put it in writing that if it doesn't correct it you don't have to pay for it and make do there job. If they don't then keeping going somewhere till they do and it gets fixxed right the first time. I know sometimes it hard to find someone good and when it's your only vehicle it makes it even tougher but no one ever said life was always going to be easy.

On mine it keeps showing the Codes for a bad ICP Sensor n IPR Valve but getting more into it it's the Injector O-Rings n Injectors them selfs. The Dealer tried to tell me that I had low Fuel Pressure n maybe they Fuel Sending Unit could be bad. Got it to another Shop and found the Pressure is fine and the Sending Unit is nothing but to tell me how much fuel I have in the tank n keep the Backflow Pressure right. They almost changed them out until I told them if it didn' fix it I wasn't paying 800.00 for parts n their labor charge, they decided to not too, lol. Sometimes you just have to be an A**hole n pray you have another place to take it.
  • chuckclark1chuckclark1 Member Posts: 4
    A couple of months ago I had to start adding water to my truck every couple of days.After a while I noticed there was a milky film in the reserve bottle.I checked the oil dipstick and it was there too.I knew this was not good.I took it to a shop and they diagnosed it as an oil cooler issue which they fixed for $1300.00. I got the truck back and a few days later I have to add water to the bottle and again the next day etc.I took it back to the shop and he pressure tested .Said it didnt leak anywhere and thinks it has to be the EGR cooler and for another $1000.00 he can fix that too....anyone else think this could be it or something else??? and another thing that I might add to this is that my heater does not get hot at all,even after thirty minutes,does all this tie together? thanks
  • greenjay1greenjay1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever solve this problem? My 2002 is doing the same thing. Run about 20 to 30 min. shut down for a hour or so then able to drive another 10 min and shut back down. I changed my Cam sensor with 0% results please help me I do not want to go to the dealer.
    You are going to have to scan it and see what codes are pulling up, if the ICP Sensor and IPR Vavle show up you need to confirm by checking the High Pressure Oil going through the heads. No matter what codes show up though be sure to confirm that part is actually bad before replacing it as it could be something after or before that part that is not letting it do it's job. Get some codes first and we can go from there. If you are Denver I have a shop that you can take it too that does good work and doesn't charge alot.
  • atlasfire92atlasfire92 Member Posts: 2
    Any news i am having this issue with my 97 F-350 right now it warmed up in driveway for 10 mins drove down the road and it died few days later i replaced the 30 amp fuses that blew ran for a few days then when it got cold again it now keeps blowing the 30 amp fuse. i read your blog and it seems like the same issue you had can you please help. Thinking it the fuel heater coil or the Glow plug Rely. Just bought this truck 3 weeks ago not familiar with theses trucks.
    Well I can tell you right now it's a short somewhere, replace the fuse and start moving the wires and if you can on the bigger ones you do them one by one. It has to be a short some where, thats the only reason fuses blow.
    i never did get my 1999 f350 diesel 7.3 running,since february 09 i was going to sell it for 2000 dollars, because i and the garage can,t figure it out,i lost the key 6 months ago and got a new one at the dealer from the serial no... someone took the key that looked at it ,wanted to buy it , took the key without my consent, couldn,t get the money or didn,t have money? i went to the dealership again to get a key and they told me that after 10years they eraced the files for the key codes and they wouldn,t couldn,t help me. when i got one only 6 months ago there, now i have a ford is a dead word hate word, ford better idea,, drive one today, dead no key , no respect ford service blunt, lighter up boy,s and settle down to this one...you are going to have serious problems with your ford by the sounds of it.....
  • getatitgetatit Member Posts: 1
    i don't think anyone cares about your problems crazydan. you sound like a true hick who probably shouldn't be parking expensive diesel trucks in front of his trailer house in the first place. your an idiot. you talk 99-02 powerstroke and these are the best years ford has, so you shouldn't have many problems, unless your running hard and not maintaining them. i own 6 of em myself. my lowest mileage is 345k my high miler is at 455k. no engines rebuilt, yet. two transmissions among the 6. and two rearends. these trucks are run hard and maintained regularly. the most common problems i have are alternators, ac pumps, and fuel lines that were poorly routed. my current problem is whether or not to tempt fate with some 6.0-6.4 rigs. i know at some point these 7.3s are going to start going down. but if you had 400k on your [non-permissible content removed], you'd be tired too.
    I agree with you and it does old hearing Dan complain and bet he drives a chevy, lol.

To Dan if you really have a 99 n 02 n all in one piece n truly want to sell them for 2K apiece let me know but I will need pictures of them.
  • plessardjrplessardjr Member Posts: 1
    I am having to replace my head gaskets because of mixing of coolant and oil. I have already replaced the water pump, gaskets, etc... but now am diving into replacing the head gaskets and want to have the head machined if it in not cracked. My question is I am having trouble removing or moving the tubo in my 1996 7.3 ltr. The shoulder bolts are blocked by the turbo for the drivers side and I cannot get the passenger side off at all without it completely out of the way.

Can someone help give me some advice. I have removed the exhaust manifold on the passenger side hoping to gain access to the lower exhaust tube from the turbo, but am stuck. The turbo manifold it bolted by 3 bolts with the back bolt blocked by the turbo.
  • vstas49vstas49 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know why a truck that was running excellent and used everyday, will crank and not start after being parked and not used for a little less than a week. If you give it a little shot of ether it wants to start but will not run.
  • jjefcoatjjefcoat Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel with 104,000 miles. My problem started a couple of weeks ago. I work offshore so it doesn't run while I'm gone but this hasn't been a problem since 2005 when I bought it. The engine turns over fast and will finally crank after about 15 seconds and you actually hear it speeding up and then it cranks but it is running really rough. I have changed the cam pickup and changed the fuel filter. It sounds just like it's starving for fuel. I've read all the forums and not sure which way to go. Please help. Thanks jjefcoat
    This is also for VS ( 761 ) , Sounds like you both have checked the Fuel, Air Filters, and kept the oil changed. So the next few steps hopefully you will be abe to do as well. Check the Fuel Pressure, it should be around 50 PSI, if that okay the next is to check the ICP Sensor, The ICP Sensor sends a current back to the Puter, how is works is that the oil pressure builds up n closes the contacts in the ICP to complete the circuit and let the Electrical current go back. It's easier is you have a scanner that will tell you this but you can do it with out but its much harder to do since you have to jumper the hot wire going into it then put your volt meter inline to see if there is enough volts getting back to it, it needs a minimum of 1 volt back to the computer in order for the Injectors to work. The Volts coming from there will go up to 6 or 7 volts if it's building enough oil pressure n working right. If you are not getting at least 1 Volt going back to the Puter then usually its the O-Rings or Injectors themselfs that need replacing. The next step is harder as you need to check the Wiring going to the Injectors and making sure none of them are broken n they love to break inside the Vavle Covers which means even more of a pain. If you do have someone with a Scanner and the codes for the ICP Sensor n IPR Valve comes up as being bad make sure they clear it and recheck after cranking it. They was using the Snap-on Scanner where I took it and it showed the Volts going back to the Computer from the ICP Sensor, once it got above 1 Volt it would Fire and once it dropped below it shut down.

I know it's alot of work and finding someone to help you and can sometimes be even harder to find someone close to you but don't give up. The biggest thing is to make sure they clear Codes to see if they come back. Also if they say you need a part and it will fix it if you put it on then have them put in writing that if it doesn't fix it you don't have to pay for the part. Most places go through a company called Allprodata and yes somethings take longer to figure out but there is a series they can go through to find any problem with a car or truck gas or diesel.

Hopefully that helps and if you need more help just reply back and we will go the next step or talk to each other on the phone.
  • jjefcoatjjefcoat Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for replying!!! get back with you on the results. Thanks again.
  • marti9marti9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 00 f350 4x4 daully with a 7.3 powerstroke about a year ago it started running hot when i pull a trailer and it just kept getting worse now it gets hot real hot just driving it, it dyed after an hour of driving it, after it cooled down it was still full of coolant but it smelled like fuel, put some in a jar to conferm, i'm sure its a head gasket but why is it getting so hot, new waterpumps,thermastats,flushings.
  • stroken1stroken1 Member Posts: 1
    Im new looks like some good answers to problems so here is mine if someone can help! I have a 97 7.3 stroke 350 crewcab I bought it about 6 months ago and it has always ran great 255,000 miles but THEN it started SMOKEN BAD when you start it in the morning or if has sat for a couple hours. If you drive it to the store or just a short distance it is fine and doesnt do it again! Smells like fuel bad when it is smoken you cant even get by pipe it will burn your eyes! I scanned it no codes I did a cly contribution test and a injector buss test both passed! Could it be a injector leaking down ?Thanks for the help I dont like my nice truck being called a powersmoke I gotta get this thing figured out!