Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Transmission Problems

Comments

• jgpantujgpantu Member Posts: 1
    My E40D transmission was experiencing a hard 1-2 shift. I pulled the pan and changed the filter and fluid but it did not help. I can minimize the harshness by letting off the gas when the tranny shifts. Recently the tranny will not go into 3rd gear when the fluid warms up. The truck shifts good for the first 15 minutes or so and then will stop going into 3rd. Moving the column shift lever does not help. Any ideas? Will the fix require a complete rebuild or can it be repaired at the valve body. Thanks
  • vw2dracervw2dracer Member Posts: 4
    I have a 94 f-150 5spd and it won't go in to gear. It started when I lost 1-2 gear. Than it changed and I lost 3-4-5-R. Then it got worse, and I now I'm stuck in first. I have NO idea what the heck it is doin. It has a inline 6 and runs great. I would just like an idea of what to look at. I thouhgt the slave or maybe the master. I just don't want to pull the tranny, If I don't have to. PLEASE HELP!!!
  • vw2dracervw2dracer Member Posts: 4
    I have a 4x4, short bed, inline 6, 5spd. It was running great, then it started. I lost 1-2 and then I lost 3-4-5-R. Now I'm stuck in 1st and don't know where to go form here. I was trying to get an idea before I droped it and rebuilt it. PLEASE HELP. THe clutch feels good and runs great.
    Thanks
    Bruce :sick:
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    You can try the Slave Sleeve, they are pretty low cost and they are pretty easy to change out, if you can change Spark Plugs you can change it. Should only take about 20 minutes to do and the cost for a new Slave Sleeve is usually under a 100.00. You can email me and I can walk you through on how to change on out over the phone.

Atpraterexc1 at aol.com

Tony
  • 97fordf15097fordf150 Member Posts: 1
    hey guy im over here in nj. i bought this ford almost 200 miles from home in summer 08. a month ago i noticed everytime i park there was oil stains there. then driving one day it seem like my differential was messing up. i put a 1.5 quarts in it and nothing. by the way the differential had some spill around it that was dried up. when that didnt solve the problem i looked under the car and saw my trans pan was very oily. checked the dipstick and it was dry. completely dry. pulled pan cleaned it, replaced the filter and then i added too much tran fluid. hoping it will eventually go down as i drive.
    first night was a little hard and stalled when i took off. seem like when it warm that problem doesnt exist. took it to work and the next morning when leaving drove fine so i figured the fluid was draining gradually as evidenced by some fluid under truck. then it seem like starting from initial acceleration if i reverse before placing gear in DRIVE i dont have that problem. sometimes it fine other times it not. whats going on here?
  • gingerjgingerj Member Posts: 1
    I bought this 97 F150 4x4 auto OD this Summer, w/192k miles. tranny was shifting erratic for a while. I added a tranny cleaning additive and it straightened out over the next 100 miles or so. last week I went to leave home and it wouldn't move forward. Reverse worked just fine, but would not go forward.. any ideas as to what is going on? is a valve in the valve body stuck?
  • mudderfordmudderford Member Posts: 3
    I need help with my 92 f-150 4x4. It has a 300 inline six with an auto tranny, don't know what tranny it has for sure. The problem is that my brother was driving it and the story goes that it started to make a small grinding noise and then it just locked up. The big problem is that it locked up hard enough that the u joint on the rear end actually twisted out of the yolk. I would like to know what the hell he could have possibly done to make it do that and if anyone thinks its possible to fix on a budget or if its even worth it.
    Hey Mudder,

Seems like I have talked to you before about this but maybe not. If the Tranny truly locked up because it was worn out then there was nothing he did wrong or could have done to avoid this. Now unless he put it in Reverse while driving down the road then it's your dumb brothers fault and make him pay for it, lol. As far as the Yoke on the Rear End just make sure the Rear End is good to go and if so just replace the Yoke and Drive Shaft and be done with it. You can usually find those in a Junk yard if you are on a tight Budget.

Tony
    Thanks cowboy. I don't think he would be that dumb. But now that you say that i do wonder if it's possible that it slipped into a lower gear and locked up. What do ya think? Is there any way of looking at it and finding out? Probably not. I'm obviously not a tranny guy but have to start somewhere. I have been doing a little homework and i think it's an e4od tranny so if you or anybody knows anything special that i should know to try to fix it or at least find out what happened any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Hey Mudder,
    I will start out saying that I have 2 brothers and the one I would trust with the world and the other I wouldn't trust with dog poop, lol. Could have it slipped into a lower gear ? Maybe but I don't think so honestly. If he is good normal driver then more than likely something gave out and made it lock up but usually when a tranny goes out they just stop working. In order for it the lock up something had to break inside. Does the Rear End still turn now that the Drive Shaft is not hooked up to it or is it locked up ?

Tony
    Sup cowboy9,
    Ya the rear end seems to be fine we winched it onto the trailer with no problems, it seemed to roll fine no binding or grinding that we noticed. I'm wondering about any chains that could have broke or the sprocket possibly? I don't think it could have been a gear or could it?
  • hughb1hughb1 Member Posts: 1
    when starting after a stop truck will move slowly and when the tach reaches 1500 rpm shifts very hard. after that it shifts ok until the next stop.fluid level is ok
  • pisto25pisto25 Member Posts: 2
    Ok I have a 2001 Ford F150 4x2 6 cyl. automatic transmission. I went to take off one morning and it reved up to about 4000 RPM's before I could get it to move. I check the tranny fluid and it was completly dry. I filled that back up and realised that I had a leak in one of my lines. Got that fixed but it still wont move in drive, first or second. I have reverse perfectly fine. Someone said to try and rock it while I had someone put into drive to see if we could get the valve unstuck (if that is even the problem), someone else to me to put a bottle of lucas tranny fluid in it so see if that would help. Anyone have any options? I dont want to trade it in right now bc i would get nothing for it with the tranny problem. Any advace would be great!
    thanks
    Aimee
  • jvansjvans Member Posts: 1
    my 2000 ford van with 228,000 started having trans problems that I would describe as electrical in nature, the van rolling along in drive or overdrive will drop down to 2nd gear, the speedometer will drop to zero ( even when I'm going 60 mph etc) and then if I turn the ignition key off and back on quickley the trns will come back and work OK for a while. Shift solenoid P0750 and P 0755 (solenoid a and b ) and U 1039 (speedometer) fault codes will appear. It's happening more and more to the point of every minute +/- I checked all electrical connections to trans and brightened and used contact (electrlitic grease) on these, I saw that a cam sensor may cause eratic trans problems the trans is strong and when staying in gear it functions fine your thought please
  • jecksteinjeckstein Member Posts: 3
    Got a 2004 F150 Super Crew that has about 80K on it. Started to develop a intermittent vibration problem. It usually happens at speeds between 45 and 50. Sounds like I’m running over a series of tiny speed bumps and it just last about 1-2 seconds, however; there is no vibration in the steering wheel. It feels as if it originates in the center of the vehicle and only appears if I slightly accelerate. Need a Ford guru’s help here. Thanks for your feed-back.
  • mudrunr1mudrunr1 Member Posts: 1
    This is exactly what my truck has been doing for three days now. Did you figure out what was wrong with it and how much did it cost?
  • adams3adams3 Member Posts: 2
    Mudrun, Believe it or not, it turned out to be the stick itself. Running out of thoughts, I actually loosened the bolt that holds the stick on, started driving, and pulled the stick off--the noise went away, came back when stick was replaced. I tried some fixes on the stick, but ended up buying a new one for 100 bucks. If your truck is under warranty, try to get it fixed there first before messing up the stick like I did. There is some 'natural' bearing noise, but I'd say 80% is gone now, definitely the noise that seemed to come right into the cab. Chris
  • jecksteinjeckstein Member Posts: 3
    After I posted my issue, I spoke with a friend and he told me that it looks like a transmission issue. He told me to monitor the RPM gauge during the vibrations. Sure enough, the RPMs jump from 1,400 to about 2,200. It's the over-drive not engaging correctly. Aamco, here I come!
  • harley19harley19 Member Posts: 7
    good afternoon, i need to know how to pull the complete headlight assembly out of truck 1997 is the year, im trying to put strobe lights in the directional lenses but i cant figure out how to get the assembly out.
  • Elflippo659Elflippo659 Member Posts: 1
    The automatic transmisson won't come out of park! The brake light switch is working. Is there a solenoid that has to be energized when the ignition key is turn on or the engine starts that allow the shift level moved from the park position?
  • Jack3rdJack3rd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 F-150 that just turned over 100k miles, and there is a distinct whine from the tranny starting at 25 MPH and lasts until the OD kicks in. A friend of mine says it's the thrust bearing. There has been a mild vibration ever since I had it (bought new) but it seems to be getting worse. Any thoughts from anyone?
  • yakopi1yakopi1 Member Posts: 1
    I have taken my vehicle in for the third time now for transmission related problems. The first time, they identified a blown seal (I believe). The second time a speed sensor was replaced. I am still having problems while in 4WH. When I am parking the car or starting out of a stopped condition, the vehicle will jump and sound like it is stalling. It is also very difficult to steer while in the same circumstance.

Any help/info is appreciated.
  • fordtruckjohnfordtruckjohn Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with a 93 F-350 and it was the throttle position sensor caused the problem
  • bob3005bob3005 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into my brother's 2004 f-150 automatic transmission problem, it won't shift into first or reverse without gassing it. I can get it to move but that seems to be about it. The fluid looks fine, and no noises.
    This is a pampered F-150 4.2 L 6 cyl with less than 42,000 miles on it
    He sent it to the shop and they said "bad transmission $ 2900.00 to fix it.
    I have read several nightmare stories on this forum about this year and all the problems with it's transmission but no real answers! (for me)
    Questions:
    Can this one be pronounced junk?
    Is there a chance that a used trans. would be any better? or are they all junk?
    Is there an older version that will fit and be more reliable?
    Are they or anyone else upgrading them when rebuilding them with better parts?
    I'm asking because there are about 50 of these trans available and it scares me.
    Thanks for your input.
    If Ford insists on cranking out these %x&** things, how can they ever expect repeat customers? No wonder they are in deep stuff!!!
  • moondogmoondog Member Posts: 3
    ive got 165000 miles in my 01 super crew f150. it would lag a second or two on a stop n go when i press the gas. i changed the fluid, put some lucas stop slip, n i put a programmer that firm the shifts. i dont have the lag ne more but it still slips under heavy accel. n kinda sounds like a belt is slipping as its shifting from 3rd to od under heavy accel. after i put the programmer on after long trips the motor smells like oil bad, and on cool nights i can see smoke coming from the vents on the wiper cowl. i was just wondering if i should tear it all apart or get something new
  • roxierroxier Member Posts: 1
    Help, my F250 will only go in reverse. Could this be a sensor or electrical thing, or is it a broken band. it is a 92 and pretty basic electronically. The men in my fam are pretty good with cars but getting them to actually do it is a challenge. I'm really good with vehicles but HATE it but at this point I am desperate just to get this fixed. Any ideas and if it is the band, what is the best way to replace it (ie do I have to yank the whole thing)
  • casinadacasinada Member Posts: 1
    I recently got this message error on my display it reads as TRANS FAULT. Truck works fine, by the way I have a 2004 f150 single cab, shifts smoothly no problems noted as of now. Can anyone tell me if I have to replace the transmission or is this problem can be fixed by your average mechanic? From what I have read in this forum, I am practically screwed and will have to replace tranny. Is there any other quick fix. I have been a Ford guy since junior high never had any problems with any of my stangs until now with this truck.
  • fordman26fordman26 Member Posts: 2
    my 2001 F350 Diesel owners manual lists three different rear axle types and gear oil types accordingly but no way of matching the axle ID-tag numbers to the list. The gear oils are of vastly different viscosities, so I think it matters which oil is in the axle. I appreciate any advice on this.
  • tmiesnertmiesner Member Posts: 1
    i was wondering what tranny i have in my 2003 f-350 with the 7.3 and is this a different tranny than the one in the 2003 behind the 6.0 i have not had any problems to speak of but lately when i put it in reverse or drive there there is a second delay till i feel it engage is this anything to worry about i have 180000 miles on the truck and have always serviced it regularly is this a good trans or is it known to have problems thanks for any info on this
    tim
  • fletch9fletch9 Member Posts: 1
    Hey out there 2000 f250 v-10 runs and shifts perfect but leaking from what I think is the front seal. Only in hot weather or towing tool trailer in Denver metro traffic. whatcha think,
  • warriorcoachwarriorcoach Member Posts: 17
    Hello -

have a 05 F-150 supercrew automatic trans with 54000 miles. 3 times in the last two days (about 30 miles of city driving) I have had a terrible noise when slowing down to turn or coming to a stop. I thought the first time that the muffler fell off and I was dragging it on the road or like someone else said - ran over a shopping cart and was stuck under the truck.

Pulled over quickly and noise went away when I almost got stopped. Today, I shifted to N and it went away - don't know if this was just a coincidence though, maybe was good timing.

Is it the transmission or could it be the clutch?? Did not hear any clunking noises but I don't think I had power - believe I tried to accelerate today after it happened and could not. Have seen the same problem posted a couple times in this forum section but no real solutions given to the problem or no one has said what their mechanic found.

Would be real upset if I have to replace a trans at 54000 miles.
    Well, took it into the stealership today and they swear it is the 4 wheel drive vacuum pump trying to engage. Said moisture damages it and on my year it will go bad eventually - not if but when.

Hope they are right!
    Well, seems like that's what it was. THink the official name is the IWE solenoid. THere is a TSB out about it. It is a $27 part. I would suggest that anyone that haas a 4 wheel drive F-150 with the old style solenoid on it - replace it with the new one. I am really upset with ford that they let us have this part on the truck that they know is bad and will malfunction - not if but when. This $27 part can cause thousands in damage to your vehicle if it fails. I've seen posts where guys have had to get new hubs and other parts - one guy even said transfer case - because of this part failing. This part makes your 4 wheel drive engage. When it malfunctions, it is trying to make it engage when you don't want it too - like at highway speeds! I can't believe that I am not going to have some type of damage to the truck down the road from this part failing. AND FORD KNOWS IT IS A BAD PART. I called ford and tried to get an extended powertrain warranty out of this but no deal. They would not do anything for me - nothing and had no sympathy. Told them it would at least be nice to get a letter telling us we may want to replace this cheap part to prevent major damage in the future. The girl on the phone kept asking what they could do for me and everything I suggested she would reply that they could not do that for me. No extended warranty, no pay for the service or the part. Even asked them to send a letter out to all F-150 owners with this part letting them know that it will go bad and of course the response was "We can't do that sir, you're talking about a part that has not failed on a vehicle yet." But they know it will fail, that's why the new one has a cover on it to prevent moisture from getting to it.

Sorry for ranting. In short, Ford sucks donkey di**. This id my third Ford in a row but it is definitely my last. When I get it paid off in July this piece of junk is outta here. Spend $27 and put the part on yourself. It's two bolts on upper firewall on pass. side in back of battery. Oh yea - FORD SUCKS!!!!
  • rterrellrterrell Member Posts: 5
    didn't see a TSB for it... did you send it? would like to print it out and take it to the dealer next week... Thanks!!
    TSB is 06-08-15
  • crawdoogiecrawdoogie Member Posts: 3
    If you think Ford is bad you should check out some of the Chevy forums. My brother has a 2002 S10 pickup and it is a POS. The fuel injection system is junk and had to be replaced and he's had major problems with the ignition system and the VAC security system.
  • hortonlanehortonlane Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if you were able to figure this out. Have a 2002 with the same exact problem.
  • jjf350007jjf350007 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2000 F-350 Super Duty and had the same issue in hot weather or towing. Turned out it was not the Tranny but the rear main engine seal.Had the seal replaced with new style seal and all was good. Hope this might help !!!!
  • shanea167shanea167 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 F150 with a 4.6. When driving down the highway it shifts into 3rd gear or overdrive goes for a second then engine revs up and truck goes nowhere. I don't know if it is a solenoid pack or maybe overdrive band. I need help.
  • 99f150xx99f150xx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 F150 4x4 . The other evening the overdrive stopped working. When the OD is on, it runs through the gears fine until it gets to OD. It then acts like it shifts to neutral. If i turn the OD off, the transmission works normal but without going into OD obviously. Does this mean the transmission is shot or that a sensor may have gone bad?
  • danield9565danield9565 Member Posts: 1
    Good day all,
    this is my 12 th Ford truck / car in last 20 yrs.
    this case is a strange one, .
    I purchassed truck w 40 k miles approx 2 yrs ago, has 50 k now.
    approx 6 months ago..1st time truck displayed engine light and dash clsuter displayed engine "fail safe mode", you loose throttle response and idle out at 900 rpm
    checked with dealer.. could not pull a code, I cleared the error and it was some time before this happened again (maybe 2 months).. approx 2 weeks ago, this happened every day from work to home, 10 minute drive, I checked and replaced TBS (part cost 109.00 @ Dealer) changed myself...
    all went well worked for 7 days with no error.

Today I went fishing (200 mile roundtrip), engine failsafe re-appeared, I stopped, restarted truck so throttle respnse would come back...5-10 minutes later, Transmission malfunction displayed along with already existing engine light, plus O/D flashing.
    stopped truck , restarted , Tranny error cleared....
    2 hrs later on return trip home, Transmission malfunction error came back...
    stopped , restarted and drove home.
    prior to this Tranny error, transmission did and still shifts great..perfect timing.. not hesitant at all.
    also I serviced tranny 1000 miles ago, new filter and synthetic mercon fluid.
    directlty after this service, and if you are in heavy traffic, stop at red light, tranny felt as though it never went back to "start off" gear (this is an auto) when you leave redlight/ stop sign etc... truck feels like it wishes to start off in 2nd, but hesitates for a second, then slight jerk and she starts off in 1st as supposed to,( the start off jerk sorta feels like when you have a bad tranny mount on tailshaft, somewhat like a kick.

any suggestions ..I open to them all... the dealer I purchased truck from is on my S**T list, and I refuse to return there again...

e-mail is danield9565@cox.net.

thanks and best regards, Daniel H
  • taziumitchelltaziumitchell Member Posts: 2
    when i start my and put it in drive it do not go at all do anyone no what can be wrong
  • taziumitchelltaziumitchell Member Posts: 2
    i have a ford 02 tarus and when i start my car and put in drive the car dosen't move do you hav a a idea whats wrong
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You're in the F-Series Pickups board, so you're not going to get much help here. Try the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008 discussion, where you will likely get faster responses.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • roscoe7560roscoe7560 Member Posts: 1
    My E40d transmission slips when it gets hot in chicago weather.When its cold out 8 months in chicago its fine. When it gets warm it slams from 1st to second and slips while maintaining speed. Took it to a trans .shop no faults shown repairman says nothing wrong with transmission everything looks good.I see alot of talk about the solenoids could this be it before I junk the whole truck? Any other ideas? Bill
  • ram1948ram1948 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Ford F-350 powerstroke 7.3 with an automatic transmission and it started with the O. D. light on the shift lever, blinking on and off. it would shift very hard so I would disconnect ground wire from battery and reset it. After that it would run and shift just great. This went on for about a year without incident , and then it would do it more and more frequent,until the O.D. light would not stop blinking at all. I kept driving it as little as possible, still no change. The next thing that happened was that while decreasing speed to stop a red light, it felt like it was not down shifting to the lowest gear,like it would stay on 2nd gear and just bogged the engine down ,and the engine will shut off.I will start engine again and it is in low gear. It will up shift normally again until you go to stop again, and it will bog down and shut off again. Another thing is that when your parked start engine go on reverse ,it will go on reverse but it feels like it goes into a higher reverse gear gaining speed very fast, needless to say bogging the engine down and shutting the engine off.

Has anyone had this problem, or know how to remedy my problem ?

I thank you beforehand for reading my post, I am a new member and not to familiar with this forum,so bear please with me .
  • lilgardtlilgardt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 F250 SD CC--6.0--33,200 miles--I tried to back up and it felt like I was backing over something--suddenly it started to back up with a jerk--as I continued--I notice I was leaving a stream of transmission fluid--I had it towed to the nearest transmission shop (ford dealer said no warranty) apparently a snap ring in the reverse section of the transmission broke loose with such force it knocked two holes in the transmission case. Has any one else had this problem--I understand from the transmission shop 05's had a problem with this snap ring coming off--any help at all would be appreciated.
  • tomkittitomkitti Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 F-150, tranny rebuilt about 18 months ago, now when driving around 45 mph it fills like it's slipping when the od is on, does not slip when the od is off.
  • fireman54fireman54 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 ford f350 ford 7.3 with a E40D trans
    It want to stall the truck in gear sometimes
    Sometimes backing up the truck shakes and wants to keep going.
    Was told to replace torque converter and I did which helped my shifting prob but wants to stall sometimes in drive or reverse.
    Any suggestions
  • steadybsteadyb Member Posts: 1
    Having / had very similar problems. 1997 AT 187K, OD light blinking ... engine stalling. Motor would feel very strong in park, put it in drive and the truck wanted to surge forward a bit and stall on occation. I too neglected to address the problem as its mainly a good old farm truck these days. Long story short, I burned up the the transmission and got stuck on the side of the interstate two weeks ago. Truck still at the shop, looking roughly $2k-$3k to rebuild existing trans. Can't decide .... exploring options.