Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Transmission Problems

Comments

• warrenz72warrenz72 Member Posts: 1
    I JUST started having the same problem on my 2007 F150
  • paul136paul136 Member Posts: 2
    I was at a red light when my clutch went out on me in a panic i tried to force it into first with no lu8ck of course but any way after i got it fixed about a couple of weeks later it got wher it will jump out of first as you start to take off what damage could i have done and how big of a job to fix thanks Paul
  • paul136paul136 Member Posts: 2
    I was at a red light when my clutch went out on me in a panic i tried to force it into first with no luck of course but any way after i got it fixed about a couple of weeks later it got wher it will jump out of first as you start to take off what damage could i have done and how big of a job to fix it is a 1994 F150 5 speed thanks paul
  • darkliondarklion Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 F-150 extended, V8 with the 4R70W transmission. It currently has about 123M on it. At about 70M the transmission started to shudder when shifting in & out of OD at about 45-50 MPH. The dealership said I needed to change fluid & filter. That didn't work. A trusted mechanic at Walnut Tree garage said the clutch plates were sticking and I should try a tube of Instant Shudder Fix. That helped for about a month. Tried it again with no luck. The guy at NAPA said air was getting into the fluid and causing it to foam up and the pump to cavitate. Any suggestions?
  • roguejetroguejet Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 550 dump bought it new,auto trans never worked right from the start. Could not dump a load of feathers for the first year, had to research problem on net because couldn't find a dealer to help. Ford was saying it was the pto mfg's problem, well it wasn't. I finally found a ford truck garage that would level with me, it was a faulty trans. He tried to fix it 4 times with no luck, still have not dumped a load.appx. 1.5 yrs. Finally replaced by ford under warranty,(the service mngr.told me i'd be back) worked as expected till early this spring, started doing the same thing as it did before they replaced it. Just as others have stated in this blog, wouldn't let you stop without stalling,o.d. would act like jake brake was on as soon as it would hit o.d., would shift ok without o.d. engaged. All this and still only have 40,000 miles on vehichle, If i figure right that eaquals about 6,800 miles per tranny job. The trans. that is in a f150 is the same trans. thats in my f550. Most of you guys are lucky you don't depend on your truck to make a living by hauling loads you would have had these problems alot sooner. They do have updates for your tranny that will help, but will not guarantee your problems will be over.
  • chuck220chuck220 Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 93 F250 and we are told that the reverse doesn't work most of the time, but once in a while it does, Any ideas?
  • fireman22sefireman22se Member Posts: 2
    i got a 1993 f350 that trans was rebuilt bout a year ago truck onyl has 125k on it, it always wants to go foward no matter what gear u put it in, if its in park it acts like itss under a strain, pulled the pan and its clean, i dono what to do
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    You did check all your Cables and the fittings ( nuts, bolts, etc ) to make they are tight and not slipping as well right ? The Cables bracket could be loose and not letting get into the right gear and the same on the fittings.

T
  • tktkktktkk Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE 2003 F 350 AND THE TRANSMISSION IS MAKING A LOUD WHINNING SOUND BUT IT RUNS & SHIFTS FINE. ANY SUGGESTIONS. I ALSO WANT TO BUY A NEW F 350 HOW CAN I CHECK INVENTORY ACROSS THE US. I CAN GO PICK IT UP WITHOUT GOING THRU LOCAL DEALERS.
    THANKS TOM
  • fireman22sefireman22se Member Posts: 2
    ya i went under tha dash and checked them checked the linkage on the trans and plugs
  • kprime2kprime2 Member Posts: 5
    2000 model F150 Lariat, 5.4, automatic with towing package, 100K miles. The transmission shifts smoothly, doesn't seem to slip, no other apparent problems. However, after it shifts out of second it will not engage third gear immediately. Sometimes I have to rev the engine to 4K rpms, sometimes I just let the engine idle back and the tranny engages. Once the tranny is in third gear on the hiway I have no problems, it shifts into OD and back to third as needed.

If I leave the OD button off the tranny only uses the first 2 gears and never shifts to third.

Any idea what to expect when I take it to the shop??
  • bob180197bob180197 Member Posts: 2
    Today I went to bleed the clutch on the truck and after releasing the bleeder the clutch peddle went to the floor and stayed there.

I tried to continue to bleed the clutch but no brake fluid will come through.

Is it the clutch master cylinder or the throw plate and how can I check?

The transmission shifted fine and runs good.
  • acamaj2001acamaj2001 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: hi, i have a 1991 f-150, 2 wheel drive, 5.0 liter, truck has 86,000 miles. whenever i put truck in drive, reverse, it jumps, or shifts hard, then when im driving, throughout the gears it jumps, i can mainly feel it in 1st and 2nd, but does in every gear, trans fluid is good, and the check engine light is on, and it has been stalling out sometimes when i back up usually, it has doine it going forward tho a few times, any ideas?
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    have the vehicle scanned it would appear the pcm has seen an error with something in the transmission and has set line pressure to max.. i would suspect a code 631 excessive tcc slip code
  • lburdlburd Member Posts: 1
    The truck is not performing, the RPM's go past 2200 & it does not want to shift & when it does it is very hard.
  • tmcburneytmcburney Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I have a 1993 F-150, 5.0L, 2WD, 122,000 miles, automatic tranmission. I just purchased the truck. It is lifted 4 inches and has large off-road tires on it as well. All of this done by previous owner(s).

When in Drive and stopped at a light or stop sign and moving from the brake to the gas pedal, there is a slight hesitation followed by a faint clunk and more pronounced chirp before the truck will move forward.

It seems as if the truck goes to neutral gear when stopped, then needs to go back to first gear when letting off the brake and going forward.

Transmission fluid level is good and fluid looks OK, but I do not know how long since the last fluid change. The truck sat for a while, maybe as long as 1 1/2 years without much driving, before I purchased it.

Where to start trying find and eliminate the source of this noise / problem?

Thanks,
    Tom
  • bob180197bob180197 Member Posts: 2
    Well Last week I pulled the transmission and replaced the slave cylinder and then bleed the clutch and It is working well now - except that in removing the transmission I tour up the muffler and some of the pipes and had to replace then( I would of had to replace then soon anyway) thanks. :) :shades:
  • johnnyf150johnnyf150 Member Posts: 3
    My F-150 doesn't shift into overdrive, it shifts out of 3rd then seems like neutral. Do I need a rebuild or something more simple? please help
    I have the same problem, what did you do?
  • konakellerkonakeller Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 ford f 150 4.6 2 wheel drive. it shifts into 2 and not into 3 or overdrive. Is the solenoid easy to replace? I have drained the fluid and replaced the filter.
  • konakellerkonakeller Member Posts: 2
    just the fluid and filter and still the same problem.
  • bgreene1976bgreene1976 Member Posts: 1
    my transmission is acting up , the truck runs great but when you stop , the truck acts like it will stall out , then the transmission shifts really hard , and then its fine.but everytime I stop , when i go to move the truck stalls , then shifts out hard. my mechanic said it could be a pressure switch or solenoid? any ideas?
  • jetawayjetaway Member Posts: 14
    The first thing to do is scan the computer for codes .Post the codes along with a description of the symptoms.There are many non transmission related problems that will cause the computer to increase line pressure in the trans.
    well I took my truck to a rebuilder who said that my band was burnt up and some clips came off, not sure which happened first. But if you have this problem it needs to be taken apart and fixed, or at least that's what I had done
  • kellys1kellys1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 F350 Powerstroke Diesel, automatic transmission, going down the interstate at 65 with the cruise control on, not hauling any load. Tapped the brake to turn off cruise at the exit ramp, noticed the truck had died (battery light on dash was the only indicator on). Stopped at Light, restarted engine with no problems, put in gear and got RPM's but not motion. Park and Neutrel seem to be working properly, but have no motion in any gear. Checked all fuses with a meter, everything seems to be fine. Had not experienced any type of issues before this, ie: problems shifting.
    So you never pull a load with it, there is oil in the tranny and you have how many miles on it ? When you did check your tranny oil was it bright red or was kind of tinted to dark brown & oh how often do you change your tranny oil ? I know when my tranny went out in my truck for a few minutes I was able to Rev it up really really high and it moved a few feet. On the Vette if it's a Half a Quart low it won't even move or it will barely move. The way you are talking about your Tranny though mine pretty much did the same thing but it did start slipping a week before hand and had another Tranny ready to go in, lol.
  • ashertruckingashertrucking Member Posts: 2
    My truck makes a grinding noise when you try to put it into any gear and won't go in any. It's a 99 F350 4x4 automatic with at least 300k on it. I came off an exit ramp hit a bump and when I hit the brake it started making the grinding sound. I got to the top of the ramp and waited for the light to change it stopped making the sound. It sounds like it is trying to go into gear but won't. I checked the transfer case by putting it in 4 wheel drive and turning the front shaft with the front free and the rear shaft started turning. It won't go into park or anything.
  • fedup19fedup19 Member Posts: 2
    I have had 3 E4OD Transmissions and Had problems with everyone of them. FORD lives on the aftermarket parts they sell and keep service shops going because they don't want to make a good trans and stick with it they should just stick to body design and let GM make them a good transmission and keep the same one for TRUCKS> I am fedup 19 and I will never buy another Ford Truck and I will be the worst advertising they have ever seen!!.
  • cherylleyncherylleyn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Ford F150 6 cylinder 4.2 2 wheel drive with over drive the transmission is gone. The question is if i got a transmission from a truck that was the same would it work or do i need to go by the numbers on the orignal transmission?
  • fatboy13fatboy13 Member Posts: 1
    While entering the freeway yesterday, the motor reeved real high ( over 3000 rpm ) dropped down into 3rd gear, and would not shift out of 3rd gear. Also the tow/haul light came on. Pulled off the freeway a few miles on, and shut the motor off & restarted, and all was OK. Got back on freeway slowly, and drove on. When I got off, at the first traffic light, when I took off, it reved to about 2000 rpm and slammed into gear, and the tow/haul light came on again. What might be going on here ?

:mad:
  • dusty135dusty135 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1997 Ford F-150 automatic that only moves in reverse ,nothing in any other gears.120,000 miles.
  • jayosojayoso Member Posts: 1
    Hello im new on this forum i would really appreciate if someboby could help me out i have a 98 f-150 6cyl two wheel drive with an automatic transmission the problem is when i put it on drive it drives off really good and it shifts to 2nd gear smooth but when it wants to shift to 3rd gear it slips like it feels that its in neutral and the engine revs up and then it shift really hard to 3rd after that OD works fine in order to keep it from reving when its going to shift to 3rd i have to take my foot off the gas and wait til the rpm goes low and i feel the gear change then i can give it gas and it shfts fine is this a major problem or is it something that can be done without removing the tranny? the truck only has 87000 original miles PLEASE I NEED YOUR OPINION.....
  • histevehisteve Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a '97' F150 4x4. After a month of owning it the tranny overdrive light on the shift knob blinks on&off , then it's starting shifting hard.what is it and what should I do? :confuse: ">
  • chilly94chilly94 Member Posts: 4
    histeve
    cluches have started slipping that why the od light is flashing.
    prepair to rebuild or replace your trans. I have a 97 F350 diesel that had an E4OD doing the same thing so i change to a ZF 5 speed. lot of work but well worth it.
  • esmithadvocateesmithadvocate Member Posts: 1
    I too recently have had the same identical problem. I also noticed that my transmission temp gauge immediately moved to the hot side pegged out the once or twice would fall innediately to normal limits then pegg to hot moving back and forth several time in a few seconds. Any idea was is happening?">
  • junkermanjunkerman Member Posts: 1
    I have installed an e40d in my truck from a local auto salvage. I drove it apprx. 100 milles, shifted great. After 100 miles it made a loud grinding noise coming to a stop. Then a clunk, I shut it off and had it towed. Any ideas. Thanks!
    Do anyone really to answer that question for you ?
  • towvehicleguytowvehicleguy Member Posts: 3
    While at driving speed truck seems to jerk or hesitate. No sign that the engine is missing or hesitating. Have noticed that speedomoter occasionally has rapid changes that can not be true but I can not correlate this to the jerking problem. Also the ABS light is on solid even though the truck does not have ABS (build ticket says it does but it is not there, thanks ford) There is no check engine light so I assume there are no codes posted. I suspect that the tourque converter lockup clutch is shifting in and out because of the unstable speedo reading. Can I disconnect the speed sensor and drive the truck or will it be unable to shift because it does not know what the speed is or will I experience converter heating??
    Any help in diagnosing apreciated.
  • alaskanrednekalaskanrednek Member Posts: 4
    I AM HAVING THE EXACT PROBLEM YOU HAD, I HAVENT GOT TO STALLING YET, BUT THE FLASHING OD LIGHT, AND SLIPPING. TRANNY FLUID LOOKED FINE, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME HELP. WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM? THANKS EITHER WAY
  • baxter9baxter9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I'm losing reverse. I have an 05 f-150 4x4 p/u. It says " trans fault" on the dash and the "OD off" icon is blinking. Also there is a wrench icon I have never seen before. Could this be a easy fix? please help..
  • smitty43smitty43 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94'f-150 and i have put three different transmissions in it in the last two weeks,the in it now won't even go into gear. I know my truck is rough on the drivetrain with 35's and four inches of lift. what can i do to remedy the situation?
    Had a anti lock brake light on, thought shuddering problem might be converter clutch engaging and disengaging because of speed sensor. Replaced same, light went away but shuddering remains. Could this be an engine problem? worst at operating temp. barely noticable when cold. Engine seems to idle nicely but occasionally misses a beat but recovers instantly. 5.8 ltr gas engine year 97. One suggested map sensor but no check engine light ever. Can a sensor be bad but not trigger a check engine light code? can a code exist without triggering a check engine light? Any suggestions?? Driving me nuts.
  • raceusaraceusa Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 F-150 2wd with a 5 speed. The clutch has a ver small leak somewhere next to the trans. I have to add fluid every few days. To fix the problem> is it a major repair or can the average person repair the leak. Would it be like an O ring needs replaced or what? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to get under there and get things taken apart and find out I need a certified mechanic. Thanks Bob
    Hey Bob,

If you are taking about putting oil in the little Reservoir thats on the Firewall next to the Brake Booster for the Clutch Line itself , you will want to just replace it, it's actually called the Slave Sleeve and can be a pain if you never have change one out before. But after you figure out how to it goes back in you will go That was easy, lol. They usually run about 85 to 125 dollars. It's a good idea to pull the one out now so you make sure and get the right one though.

If you are talking about putting oil in the actual Tranny then forget what I just said but from the sounds of it you are talking about the Slave Sleeve and are pretty common & known for going out and needing replaced.
    Hey Bob,

I forgot to tell you that normally after replacing the first one you can usually change one out in 10 minutes but if you have never done it before it might take you 30 to 45 minutes. It will come with a cover over the End of it to keep the Push Rod in place " Do not take this off I repeat Do not take this off or you may never get the new back in".

If you have any other question just write back.

Tony
  • raceusaraceusa Member Posts: 2
    Tony, Thank you very much for the help. Does it take any special tools? Are the Standard or metric? Again thanks Bob
    Hey Bob,

You shouldn't need any special tools, 10mm 12mm should be the sockets you need. It's been awhile since I last changed one out, like I said the first time you change one out it's tough but after you change one you will go That Was easy, lol. I take it you are putting oil in the Reservior so the Clutch will Engage ?

Tony
  • puguypuguy Member Posts: 6
    Unfortunately I did not see your post until some other people had given ill advice. It is most likely to be the slave cylinder. However, on F150's the slave cylinder is located in between the engine an transmission. It slides down the tranny input shaft and bolts to the forward face of the trans. This requires removal of the transmission to gain access to this part. To remove the tranny, you need to remove the exhaust after the catalytic converters, and the starter. Otherwise it won't come out. It does require a special tool to disconnect the coupling that the clutch fluid line uses to attach to the slave. However, if you purchase a new slave cylinder from O'reilly it comes with the tool. The slave is about Fifty dollars. Once installed, the system will need to be bled. This is somewhat frustrating, because the air simply won't want to come out of these systems. Good luck.
  • puguypuguy Member Posts: 6
    The problem you are experiencing is related to th torque converter. The shudder is being caused the torque converter having lost it's ability to "lock up". To go into overdirive, the torque converter locks up, this causes a transmission to act as if it's in a higher gear. This problem can be caused by a faulty sensor, However it is most often caused by the transmission fluid losing its viscosity, and not allowing friction dependent parts (the torque converter being among the most sensitive) to operate properly. A quick fix is an additive sold in O'reilly called Dr. Tranny Shudder Eliminator. This doesn't alleviate the problem, then it is a time for a new torque converter. It is only intended to be a temporary solution, but I have seen this stuff fix the problem for years at a time. This is the actual name of it! It really works, and if you don't see it in O'reilly, look elsewhere. Something that works as good as this stuff usually won't disappear from the market.