Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Transmission Problems

Comments

• natgunrangernatgunranger Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05' F150, 152000 miles. I've had NO major problems with this truck until now. I recently took a trip down to NC from Ny. While down there I was driving one day, about to get onto a highway, I accelerate up to speed, and when I did I felt what I guess was nothing more than an irregular shift. It was just acting weird, but no slippage, no noises so I hit the OD button to take it out of overdrive and it seemed to clear up. 10 miles down the highway I hit the OD button just to see what would happen (I had just exited at the same moment) and came to a red light and it just stalled, like it was a manual and I didn't push the clutch in. I put it in park, and try to start it, it starts like its starving for gas, I have to feather the pedal to keep it running. I put it in drive and try to go and it barely moves, it moved, but I had to rev high to get it out of traffic and into a nearby parking lot. I get it into the parking lot and nothing, doesn't even shift into F or R.

So I flat bed it to a local shop which actually hooked up OBD for me free of charge (Thanks Massie Bros). They got these codes: P2104, P2107, P2110 and P2111, Throttle Actuator Control Module Fault, Forced Low RPM, Throttle Control stuck open. And refer me to a tranny shop. So I flatbed it to my Dads house and there it sits. Starts up and runs fine, just nothing in D or R, doesn't even feel like it engages when shifted to D or R. I was told by a cousin that he had a similar problem and that it may be the throttle position sensor.

We tested it, and according to the specs from Ford its bad. Should I start with that or is it my PCM.......or my tranny.....can anyone help? Thanks...
  • meiceeemeiceee Member Posts: 4
    Finally took it back to Ford and went for a drive.....they say it is a "low RPM misfire" caused by a faulty spark plug. Happens more when in overdrive as the rpm's are lower. This usually, but not always, throws an error code. Going to get the plugs changed next week, which they say could be a project as the plugs sometimes break-off when taking them out.
  • transpo1transpo1 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2004 f350 diesel with a automatic, just today it started a hard shift and then seemed ok, now it seems to have an acceleration problem then was ok now it did not want to move at all in any gear then went into drive and seemed ok, then almost home trans temp gage went way hot, any ideas, it really seems to shift ok so i dont think the tranny is bad. thanks for any help
  • transpo1transpo1 Member Posts: 2
    have you figured out the issue with your transmission yet?
  • dnewbdnewb Member Posts: 1
    hello newby here. I have an 82 f-150, 4 speed, 6 cyl. Maybe 125K. When I drive, the ride is rough, and "lurchy" or "surgy", especially in 1st and 2nd, but I can feel it in 3rd too. does not do it if under somewhat heavy acceleration, or at all when deccelerating. Does it at slow acceleration, or with little acceleration at speed. I can sort of control it by letting off or pressing acceleratator a little. Ideas?
  • natgunrangernatgunranger Member Posts: 2
    After I went and paid $120 for a throttle pos. sensor which didn't work I talked to the service manager at Ford down here in NC, and I told him what happened. He immediately said it was internal tranny failure, I didn't want to believe it but went and found a tranny at a salvage yard w/13000 miles on it. Swapped them out and guess what, for once someone at Ford was right. Not sure what went inside but was definitely the tranny. I must warn anyone with this model truck, if you ever have to remove the starter, good luck because the top 3rd bolt you can't see or even get to with a socket, thanks Ford engineers...that was the hardest part of the whole job.
  • ricktorricktor Member Posts: 3
    Today I started driveing and it neutraled out severl times when it warmed up it was ok I even took it to the shop and they drove it nothing happen I need help anyone
  • farmer_johnfarmer_john Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    While driving at any speed in any gear the transmission seems to go to neutral motor revs up ,it then shifts back into gear. This sometimes happens almost continusily other times very seldom. Fluid and filter have been changed. Any ideas anyone?
  • victoriabcvictoriabc Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, I am new to the forum but impressed with the community posts.

My issue is:
    My 1999 f-150 XL (2x4, 4.2) manual transmission is stuck. When parked and not running I can shift into any and all of the gears.

Once it is running I can't shift into any gear, the stick refuses to engage.

I have tried rocking it back and forth, and I can start the motor in gear with the clutch engaged (only tried reverse) but once running it refuses to shift.

I would prefer to avoid the mechanic if possible and do it myself.

Any suggestions or possible ideas about what it is?

Thanks,
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    Did the Clutch start slipping before this happen ? If not check the Oil in the Clutch Slave Sleeve Master Res.It should be on the Firewall where the Push Rod comes through. Also look at the bottom where it goes in to see if it's leaking oil or may have came out.
    Thanks for the prompt response Cowboy9...

There was no clutch slipping before this began, the vehicle was driven yesterday with absolutely no issues.

I'll post the results of my check in a bit.

Thanks again.
    OK, so I cant see a leak, and I can't tell if the clutch fluid is at an appropriate level. The reservoir states to 'fill to the step'...however I don't know what the 'step' is. Do they refer to the base level of the container? Is there another indicator in that fluid reservoir?

Regardless, there is some clutch fluid in there.

What is interesting is that if I pump the Clutch then I shift gears briefly. I presume this indicates that there is a leak somewhere and there is insufficient fluid pressure? Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks everyone....
  • davethegreydavethegrey Member Posts: 1
    I think cowboy9 got it right, I had the same problem. If you remove the cap, there should be a rubber sleeve under the cap. Pull the cap out and push the closed end (was on the bottom) of the sleeve back into the opening (towards the top), (as fluid leaks out the rubber sleeve takes up the space to maintain pressure on the hydraulic clutch fluid system). If you look in the reservoir (without the sleeve) with a light, you can see the "step", which is actually a line that was molded into the ID of the reservoir, about an inch and a half from the top. If you fill to that line with brake fluid, your clutch should work fine until it leaks out again. Good Luck
  • kenbo2kenbo2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Did you find out the problem with your transmission. I'm having the very same problem. Help me please, Thanks
  • d2010d2010 Member Posts: 1
    removing shifter has all thread bolt with nut on front i removed nut but how do i remove all thread bolt?
  • mike9408mike9408 Member Posts: 74
    Please indicate what year/model truck and transmission type.
    Mike
  • gary104gary104 Member Posts: 2
    2000 f-150 4x4 5.4 liter auto slipping in 1st and reverse.is there an in vehicle band adjustment?
  • colinzx6colinzx6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 strong running straight six 300. I got in it one day and the speedometer started going crazy then just rested at zero even though i was driving down the road, my digital odometer stopped working along with my CD player and inside light.

Then i get onto the road and it revs real high then shifts real hard. It upshifts and downshifts randomly and throws it into neutral sometimes.

I checked all my fuses, and checked the grounds that i could find.....starts up n idles fine so im pretty sure its something computer or electronically wrong.
  • lecha1lecha1 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought an F 250, 460 engine extended cab 2wd pick up. I have had it for 3 days and noticed that it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd gear and even though not as hard it also does it from 2nd to 3rd. This morning when going to work, it was shifting smoothly, but in the afternoon when returning back home, it was shifting hard again. Any ideas? Thanks

Luis
  • jpm351jpm351 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same truck, it only has 55000 miles on it, as it was my Dad's and he only used it to pull his fifth wheel camper once he bought it used from a good friend. Iam the third owner, and it has always shifted 'hard" or quick first thing in the morning from 1st to 2nd. No matter if its cold or not. But all other gears were very smooth almost don't even notice it shifting. But, like you said, leave it set while your at work, and the fist shift is hard. Its always been that way, but that 1st shift gets smoother the very next shift. Only issue I have is a "shuddering" when I brake hard, and sometimes when I am doing about 45 to 50 mph. I have all new brakes, rotors, drums, hardware, u-joints, mid shift bearing, tires, and its better but still there. Hope this helps
  • lecha1lecha1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your comment jpm351:
    Have you done a transmission service on your teuck? I am thinking in doing one to mine hoping that it would help. What do you think? "> :confuse:
  • dmrcrt1dmrcrt1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 f150 4wd that will shift hard forward and really hard in rev. It does this once in a while and lasts for a few days then stops. I changed the filter and fluid and it shifted like new for one day, then shifted hard again. I think its a vacuum problem but can't find it. Thought vac. modulater but doesn't have one or I can't find it. Any ideas?
  • gary104gary104 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    i'm still trying to find out if there is an in vehicle band adjustment on the transmission in a 2000 4x4 f-150 lariat
  • ronboy123ronboy123 Member Posts: 1
    shifts hard 1st & 2nd not all the time, most when temp is up. 25k on rebuild just started 60 mi. ago. 7.3 desiel
  • efreeefree Member Posts: 1
    Problem With transmission not shifting properly.Sometimes when I come to a stop the transmission seems to be stuck in a higher gear and unless i put it in nuetral it would stall out .then when I go again I would have to put it in low gear and shift up to drive .seems to be shifting ok as I am driving though.sometimes the amber shift light would also come on on the shifter lever.HELP!!!!!
  • jpm351jpm351 Member Posts: 2
    Yes I already did, fluid flush, new screen, filter and oil. Smoother shifts, but still have that hard sift in 1st. I am so use to it now.
  • crogers100crogers100 Member Posts: 1
    My son has a 1997 f250 with a similar problem. We replaced the vehicle speed sensor on the rear pumpkin and all was great for about a week but we keep having an intermittent problem that seems to be more electrical now. When the speedometer quits working it will start the hard shifting again as if the speed sensor isn't getting power to it and the digital odometer will quit working. We have also noticed the turn signal lights act up while all of this is going on. Have you gotten any suggestions on what may be wrong electrically?
  • mitchormitchor Member Posts: 1
    I decided to change the trans. oil myself when removing oil filter pan I noticed a yellow plastic part fell into the pan no bigger than inch and a half and I cannot figure out where it goes, looks like a marble with a stick and a gasket or o-ring around the marble, can someone please help and let me know what I could do.. thanks...
  • chrisdaniels1chrisdaniels1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 ford F-150 4x4,, just had the transmission filter changed and fluids at ford ,, problem is; when vehicle is cold shifts in reverse fine but once it gets hot it wont go in reverse,, ive been told its the sensors, or synchronizers, or overdrive bands,, everything seems to work fine except reverse,, please help
  • equ2me2equ2me2 Member Posts: 1
    Re: my 2003 F150 5spd, I had a new clutch put in about 4 months ago with no problems until just the other day when I couldn’t get it into gear. When the engine is off, it will shift through all gears. With the engine running, it would not go into any gear. I called the mechanic that put in the clutch and he suggested I look for a leak (no leak was found) and then check the level of fluid in the reservoir. Checked and found reservoir needed fluid. Filled same and pumped the clutch as directed to build pressure. Seemed ok, went into gear so I took it out for a spin only to find that soon shifting became sticky then impossible to shift into gear again. Pumped the clutch again and it seemed to make it better so it would then go into gear again. Got to the mechanic’s shop and he checked again for any leaks, found none and then he bled the line suggesting that would fix the problem. Again, it seemed ok and I drove it home only to have the same problem an hour later when I went to drive it again. The clutch pedal feels pretty mushy until it gets to the end of its travel and there you can feel a little pressure. So, no leaks, fluid in place, and still not the proper operation. I would appreciate any suggestion on what may be causing this problem.
  • panzer2panzer2 Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a 1990 f 150 4x4 AOD trans. seems to slip in OD almost like it is in neutral.if i put in the other D seems to work fine. ????
  • john3gjohn3g Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    HELP!!!!!! I have a 1997 F350 Crew Cab Dully with a 460 and an A4OD auto trans. The O/D button is on the shifter. Let me try to explain what it's doing. You can be driving along just fine until the O/D "OFF" light starts to flash. When the light starts to flash the truck seems to jump in and out of gear or slip. If I crack the throttle and it then will SLAM hard into gear. It will do this for a few seconds and may not do it again for the next several hours. Now, if you hook the the trailer to it will do it right off the get-go.We had a filter kit installed and a speed sensor put in with no results.I drove it for 325 miles without a problem last night but today I drove 3 miles and it acted up. I really need help!!! Thank you for any input..
  • 94motion94motion Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue with a 1994 f-250 2wd .
    it's inconsistent. my rpm gauge will begin bouncing and the od indicator will begin blinking the shifts will become harsh.
    next minute all will smooth out .
    I'm wondering if there's a switch,wire or something shorting or grounding.
  • georgeaz4georgeaz4 Member Posts: 2
  • georgeaz4georgeaz4 Member Posts: 2
    not sure what it is an dhave customer queryon the temp, can't find it on fords spec sheet
  • rogerw261rogerw261 Member Posts: 1
    I had about 95k miles on this truck when I noticed when slowing to a stop, a whining sound punctuated by a double crunch crunch upshifting to 2nd and 1st gear.
    In that I have a power train warranty, I had a local tranny shop rebuild the trans. Little change, so I took it into Ford who said it probably was the 4x4 automatic hubs trying to engage. Ford replaced the left ft 4x4 locking actuator assbly. It was fine for 4 or 500 miles and the same thing, not as severe occured.
    Anybody got any ideas?
  • manny_bermudezmanny_bermudez Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 F250 Lariat SD 2WD V-10. I don't know the size of the transmission. When I drive the truck, after about 10 mintues, transmission fluid comes out through the bell-housing seal. Could there be any other possibilities of something else wrong besides just the pump-stator seal? Is there a way to check and troubleshoot other situations or would I be okay in just replacing the front seal of the transmission? And how do I know the size of the transmission so I know I'm ordering the right parts at the auto parts store? I don't want to rely on them on ordering parts, and it being the wrong size. Also, would the torque convertor have anything to do with this leak? PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!! THANK YOU
  • tahyitahyi Member Posts: 1
    When I drive the truck, the speedometer will quit working and the OD off light will flash, then the speedo will come back on and it will shift back into OD. It does it off and on the whole time you drive it. Sometimes it will act up as soon as you start to drive it, when it does it the transmission winds out and it shifts extremely hard. I have changed the sensor located in the rear end and don't know what else it could be. Any help would be great!
  • shane36shane36 Member Posts: 1
    I recently has a alternator decide to overcharge and fry alot of parts fixed most of them already. Now when I take off in drive i have no power but if i shift to 2nd to take off i have alot of power and my overdrive light says off and i cant turn it on or off. Any ideas
  • thebeekeeperthebeekeeper Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 ford f150 4x4 runs great but it when the automatic trans shifts down the whole truck shakes likes its going to come apart..any helpful advice would be great..thanks
  • troysrtroysr Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I was towing my trailer and getting ready to climb a hill. when i stepped on the gas to kick down the trans i had no power. ok the best way to say it. i had no passing gear. I had to drop it all the way into low to make it up the hill. I checked the trans fluid and it was fine. The other day i was towing and i was just pulling out on the street doing about ten miles an hour and the truck seemed to loose power. could it be the fuel pump going? Thanks Troy
  • tatigger511tatigger511 Member Posts: 1
    My truck is shifting rough, ck engine lite on... says shift solenoid A. I changed that, the filter and fluids. Seemed to shift better for a day, now back to rough shifting. What Next??? Any help is highly appreciated
  • lowflyer63lowflyer63 Member Posts: 1
    I have an automatic 2006 Ford F150 Lariat that I recently purchased. I'm having the same issue that it seems some others have had (below) but I don't see a solution listed in the thread? Anyone know what this might be?

"While driving it today I heard a noise that sounded like I was dragging something underneath it--think shopping cart or exhaust system. I pulled over and everything appeared fine."
  • redtruck1redtruck1 Member Posts: 4
    When I first start vehicle,put tranny in drive, the engine just revs. Reverse works fine, however. Once warmed up, it goes into gear, and when driving, it shifts fine with no slipping. Help! 80,000 miles.
    carrier bearing
    fluid, filter?
  • mood99mood99 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 2004 F150 that appears to have same issue. Was your issue's final verdict the over-drive not engaging? Or was it something else?
  • dheiny21dheiny21 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 Lariat SuperCrew, and am having issues with reverse. When shifting into reverse there is a delay, about 1 or 2 full seconds before I can feel it actually engage. Then while in reverse, it has very little power. Brought it in and was told it was a "lazy reverse" and the transmission needed to be rebuilt. Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so, what was the cure? Any help is appreciated. (Forward works fine, but has slight delay from stopped position when accelerating.)
    Thanks!
  • vern60vern60 Member Posts: 1
    truck is slow to shift at times, sometimes have to let off accellerator to get it to shift. Doesn't do this all the time. May shift very hard also. One time coming upto a stop had to put in neutral, then when I put in drive it'd kill the engine, so I started the truck and shifted in 1st and manually shifted and did ok. Had done this only twice. Any suggestions?
  • davyraydavyray Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2010
    My 1998 f 150 4x4 has 130,000 miles on it and runs fine under normal conditions. When I get on the accelerator hard from a dead stop it seems to hang up in 2nd gear around 4000 rpm and will not shift until I back out of the throttle. It does the same thing when kicking down into passing gear. Any suggestions?