Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Transmission Problems

Comments

• trlrtrashtrlrtrash Member Posts: 1
    You might try adding a bottle of transfer case stop slip fluid. It's designed specially for transfer cases and is a blue fluid in a small (about 2 ounces) bottle. worked great in my tranny.
  • apofam4apofam4 Member Posts: 1
    my name is conrad was reading up your post i have same problem you and #413
    you said the dealer said it was low RPM Misfire did you change plugs and did it work
    any imfor would be helpful thanks
  • josimpsjosimps Member Posts: 1
    Well got a new Ford F-150, FXW w/Ecoboost engine. Problem with it shifting out of first to second gear and on stopping, engine shutters. Took to dealer, theres a TSB out on the vehicle and they are replacing the transmission clutch. This is the new 6 speed automatic clutch Ford raved about so much. Other than that, very happy with this vehicle.
  • ralphdiditralphdidit Member Posts: 3
    It is most likely a clutch problem often linked to the master clutch a quick temp fix is press the clutch in and see if it pops back and then check your clutch fluid. This can occur in cold weather or if parked on a hill and fluid drained away from clutch.
  • cdrosecdrose Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    I have a 2004 Ford F-150 4x4. Have no problems until today. would not go into gear like the shifter was floating back and fourth then when it does catch the truck doesnt move.
    any suggestions - on what this could be? tranny bad or mabye something came loose . please advise . ( Automatic Transmission)
  • southern82southern82 Member Posts: 1
    Mine just did the same thing this afternoon. My truck is a 4x2, i had it sent to the Ford dealership I trust. I wil let you know what they tell me tomorrow. I think it is a linkage issue. My truck has never had any transmission sounds prior to this, its just a hard time staying in gear on the console selection.
  • stpetefloridastpeteflorida Member Posts: 2
    The transmission problem started at around 83000 miles on the speedometer. Transmission slips in and out of overdrive at around 45 to 50 miles an hour. Just yesterday had the transmission flushed by Ford dealership ($179.00) but problem still persists. If I turn off the overdrive (button on console) problem goes away because the OD gear does'nt shift in.

Ford Dealership representative said this F-150 does not have a filter to replace, is this true?
    Would it make a difference to replace filter?
    Truck is no longer under warranty, so would anyone know what this repair would cost?
    Would there have to be complete replacement of the transmission?
    Thank you for the replys.
  • rkrostagrkrostag Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    I have a 96 f150 4x4 AT O.D. recently had a fluid leak, fix it. Now there is a hesitation when shifting into drive B 4 it engages. seems to work fine other than that. I was advised that front clutch pack shot. Anyone know if this condition could last awhile of if its gonna die any day ?
  • maylanemaylane Member Posts: 1
    MY TRANSMISSION SOUNDS AS IF IT DOES NOT SHIFT INTO EACH GEAR AT THE CORRECT ENG. RPM, DOES NOT SHIFT SMOOTH LIKE I WOULD EXPECT IT TO ALTHOUGH IT DOES SHIFT INTO EACH GEAR INCLUDING INTO OVERDRIVE, ALSO NOTICED THAT IN REVERSE IT WILL HARDLEY MOVE IF THERE IS A GRADE TO THE ROAD. ANY IDEAL AS TO WHAT THE PROBLEM MIGHT BE??? I THOUGHT THE CONVERTER IS GOING OUT.....THANKS
  • rcozonerrcozoner Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. At around 45mph I get this hickup from the transmission. I didn't notice if the Overdrive was on or off. I have to keep an eye on that and see if that is the problem. I had my transmission flushed at the dealership. And that didn't fix it either. I was hoping someone on this site had the same problem and figured out how to fix it. It isn't too much of a problem now, but I can imagine it getting worse.
  • steveaspesisteveaspesi Member Posts: 46
    sure, I wrote to Ford several times when my tranny failed at 28k miles. It was a few days past the 36 month warranty - I got them to pay half of the dealer cost for replacement, which is roughly twice what a private shop would charge. Seeing how far past the warranty date you are, your letter will likely fall on deaf ears.
  • franciswisefranciswise Member Posts: 1
    i just had that problem and had my transmission rebuid. but the truck loss power on acceleration but according to the computer it runs fine, but i know my truck and i know i loss power, my guess is they used aftermarket parts and now im screwd. go to the dealer, its the best way to go if you want to get it done right. good luck
  • longhorn12longhorn12 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like the same problem I'm having. I have a 2007 F150 5.4 Lariat Supercrew with about 68,000 miles. Recently, seems to slip in and out of overdrive when I take foot off accelerator at around 50 mph. It makes kind of a clunking noise. Anyone know what the problem is and what it will take to fix it?
  • stpetefloridastpeteflorida Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I am the one that posted a while back and flushing the transmission and changing the fluid really helped a great deal. Autoway Ford on 19 did the work for around $179.00 dollars plus tax and shop fees. If you get it done drive the truck and let the new fluid work in the transmission for a couple of days. I do not experience any of the problem "thank God" any more. Best of luck!
  • n3wb1lln3wb1ll Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 F150 5.4 Lariat SuperCrew and I had the same issue I was getting a bump when starting from a stop after i started the truck in the mornings, but after I wouldn't have that problem. Finally my transmission just went and I got the trans malfunction on the computer. After having the transmission rebuilt, I drove the truck for two days and on the second day I was driving and my truck lost power. The engine revved, but there was no acceleration. What ended up happening with your situation, I'm interested to know. My truck is currently being repaired again, and I should have it back by Friday. Do you know what could be causing the previous problem, so I can avoid having to rebuild another transmission? The shop I went to said something about the wheels were locking up causing the transmission to jam, but that just sounds wrong to me because i never felt my rear wheels lock. Also I spoke with other mechanics that said that sounds fishy. Sorry for the long post
  • pickles1pickles1 Member Posts: 4
    After my 2005 F150 Transmission went with 80K miles, had it for a couple days and the same thing happened only this time the FORD dealership said I need a whole new engine. I asked why this truck would need a new engine with such low miles and easy driving, they said it was maintainance and my fault(oil change)
    We changed the oil regularly and there was only 2000 miles since the most recent oil change. Of course Ford didnt want to help at all, but after much discussion and telling them they could have the truck, Ford said they would help with repair if when they opened up engine they could tell it was not an oil change issue. Guess what , they helped with the repair and would not/could not tell me why this engine failed. I feel it was a DEFECTIVE engine, otherwise they wouldnt have covered a penny of this repair. It was fishy when they said they couldnt determine why the engine failed and this model year engine has problems, just look on internet.,
  • toddf150toddf150 Member Posts: 1
    The same thing happened to my 04 F150. Turns out it was the OD e clip on the end of the transmission. The transmission has to pbe pulled to put the new modified clip on.
  • monriverkennelmonriverkennel Member Posts: 1
    2000 Ford F150 5.4 Triton-Starts and idles fine in park as soon as you put in gear it misses bad and won't pull.Put in park and it starts right back up and idles fine but won't run in gear.Anyone else had this problem,it just happened overnight.
  • n3wb1lln3wb1ll Member Posts: 2
    okay cool that helps...but the mechanic says he's going to fix it no charge, and today he changes his mind and is trying to charge me for parts without labor and claims he's doing me a favor? Like really? People are such crooks? and he says its because the rear diff is bad but I've called and talked with several mechanics that say that's highly unlikely, I'm sure he's just trying to take advantage of me.
  • kp302_99kp302_99 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I have the same issue. Run-down of my issues since I've had the truck.

36,100 miles: transmission gave out. New transmission. Ford did a 50/50 split on price because it was only 100 miles.

77,000 miles: another transmission destroyed itself. New transmission, I was at my 3 year one month mark on the warranty and Corp. Ford told me they will not pay anything because I was out of warranty by a little less than a month. $3,200 later I have a new transmission.

82,000miles (3 months later): transmission is slipping in O/D at approx. 43 mph. Dealer and corporate will not admit there is an ongoing problem with the truck and will not stand by their product. This transmission is obviously under warranty but it’s pointless to get it fixed if it’s just going to burn up.

Best action: Call local Better Business Bureau Office and make a complaint. If they get enough complaints, they have to investigate it. Also they can help you get mediation between corporate. I personally will never buy Ford again. They cannot seem to stand by their product.
  • hodges03hodges03 Member Posts: 1
    its a virgan plug meaning the trany fluid has never been changed
  • budster43budster43 Member Posts: 2
    While I am driving my transmission slips into nuetral and the speedometer quits working and mileage also quits working any ideas what might cause this problem would really be helpful.
  • budster43budster43 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the info I will give it a try and see if that solves the problem
  • biohazardbiohazard Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 with the same motor, i have had bad coil packs on all of my spark plugs go. not all at the same time either. the truck sometimes spits out a code but most of the time it doesnt.
  • vamiscavamisca Member Posts: 1
    I have an 85 F250 that had been sitting for about a year and a half. When i went to finally start it up i found a freeze plug had blown, so i replaced it. It started up just fine, held water, and after a few chokes and sputters it purred like an......old ford. :) Just one problem. It wont go into gear. It just seems to float right over the gears. When i parked it, it went into gear fine. The tail lights are work and it has tranny fluid. I really dont have the money to take it in. Anyone got any suggestions?
  • jeff216jeff216 Member Posts: 1
    First time writing here. I have a '03 F-250 4x4 Turbo Diesel with 120k miles. Been a good truck but lately having a problem...More times than not when I put it into reverse it doesn't engauge so if I put it into drive and then back to reverse it goes into reverse fine.

Any suggestions? Thank you
  • murraycmurrayc Member Posts: 1
    F150 2009 when pulling my 7500 lb trailer the transmission shifts for no reason. Flat road, no wind. It is like the engine does not have enough power to maintain speed in 5 th gear. As soon as it shifts the truck starts to loose speed. Went for a test drive with dealer and they agree but aren't sure what to do. Engineers say normal but was not like this when truck was new. Just started late last fall and got worse every time I used the trailer this year.
  • mlee95f150mlee95f150 Member Posts: 1
    no ideas 4ya, but my '95 just started doing the exact same thing withn the last few days. shiftin hard as fk between 2nd and 3rd gear. and it makes a horrible noise in reverse sometimes.
  • 1rickm571rickm57 Member Posts: 1
    you do not mention if this gas or disel,, or if there is a check engine lite on,, but souds like a dirty fuel filter if theres no light,, if thers is a lite r & i the egr,, and clean and drive again
  • dailyhaulerdailyhauler Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at purchasing a 2005 Ford F150 SLT 4x4, crew cab with 85k on it. I will be hauling a 4000 Lb single horse trailer conversion about 60 miles with it 2-3 times a week, will this truck handle the load? I am trying to do my research first since this is a business pourchase, are there any major mechanical issues I should look for or that are common for this model? My old Truck was a Dodge(never again) and I have put 4 new trannys into it, just trying to avoid another situation like this. Any info would be helpful, thanks.
  • dailyhaulerdailyhauler Member Posts: 2
    It is gas, not diesel.
  • chadellbchadellb Member Posts: 1
    BUY A CHEVY!!!!! Older Fords are good, but the newer ones are awful. We (my husband) own(s) a 93 Ford F-150 and it has given us loads of problems. It is not because we haven't taken care of it, but because of the many problems Ford failed to spot before they let it off the assembly line. Don't get me wrong they are tough trucks, and will pull pretty much any thing you put behind them, but only for a while. Then you'll be sitting more than you're driving. If you have loads of money and time, by all means purchase the Ford. However, if you want to get where you're going without all the drama, Chevy will be your friend. Yes, we have owned Chevrolets as well. We sold them for financial reasons and now can't afford to buy another one because we spend so much money on our FORD. Good luck and God bless!
  • ureckumifixumureckumifixum Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 f150 7400 miles on it trans just went with out any worning its is a STX BUT 2 WEEL DRIVE going to be about four thousand to fix
  • ureckumifixumureckumifixum Member Posts: 2
    ford trans are junk I have a 2005 f150 STX with 7400 miles on it. Trans just went out will cost about 4000 to replace and i never towed any thing with this truck. Iam not a happy camper.
  • redytomoveredytomove Member Posts: 1
    2004 trans bought new 20000m needed new trans 50000 needs new trans heard that in 2004 they changed the main gear this seems to the root of their problem
  • f150zepf150zep Member Posts: 1
    Hi I don"t know if this helps anyone I hope it does. I have a 2005 Ford F150 SuperCab 2WD. I really love this truck! It has 100k+ has been babied though!
    Anyway, after making a trip up North My O/D light came on when I started after jumping the starter. (Note I did have to jump the starter to get it to start and I still can't get it to start with just the key!). I now have to use a push button start that I installed myself. I have looked at all the relays, fuses and wires that could cause a no crank problem, and found nothing of concern. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they figured out what it was.

Symptoms:
    NO Engine CODE
    O/D light only when engaged in park
    Starter has to be jumped via push button to start
    No shifting problems at all (shifts perfect and smooth)

:confuse:
  • greasemonkey45greasemonkey45 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    I have a 1995 Ford F-250 7.3L powerstroke, 2wd, automatic transmission. After an hour of driving, when downshifting and upshifting it shifts hard and then it lugs the motor down when coming to a stop, I just had the transmission rebuilt, and a new torque converter put on, i had trouble before the transmission was rebuilt and the same thing happens after i had the transmission rebuilt.
  • skyloft1skyloft1 Member Posts: 2
    Turns out when we bought this '04 F150, it was from a Rep. Dealer in Central NJ ( we thought ) not a Ford Dealer , another Dealer who has been there for over 30yrs! Anyway the truck was a trade in only one owner. The Problem was the CREEP who owned it before us ( from Pa. ) NEVER changed anything on the truck as far as fluids go. So that is why we had so many Engine , and Tranny problems...It is fine now but don't ask me how much we dumped into her...Anyhow Have a Great New Year everyone! Except the car Dealer whos name starts with a P.and the Creep from Pa. who never heard of a fluid change....
  • 80camaro80camaro Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2004 stx 4x4 f150 4 months ago with 72000 miles on it. The rear started making noise the day after I bought it, after that the transmission lost overdrive, (fixed by dropping the valve body and removing a peice of a broken snap ring from the 3/4 shift valve) and now the transmission is completely shot and will not move the vehicle forward at all. It now has 79000 miles on it, I owe 7000 bucks on it still, and it is not even driveable. All of these turn out to be common problems with these trucks. I am a professional technician, and I have access to Identifix and mitchell on demand, which both report pages of issues with this truck. This was a one owner vehicle before I had it and it was well cared for. I will NEVER buy another ford truck. I should have stuck to my chevys. I never had a driveline failure with those. Buyers Beware.
  • tilfordtilford Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    I have a 97 F-150 4x4 that will not come out of overdrive when you press the button on end of gear shift lever. In testing, the switch shows to be good, but I am not sure on how to check and see if the switch is getting fire through the steering column or not. Can anybody help me with this or suggest any remedies. Fuse under dash on drivers side is good.
  • f150zep1f150zep1 Member Posts: 1
    This is just a thought, dont know if you tried this but did you replace the entire valve body itself or just the snap ring? It could be an internal problem with the valve body? Just some thoughts I am sure you've probably thought of every possibility. I have one of these F150s even with its problems I like it. But I think I will buy chevy next time.
  • 80camaro80camaro Member Posts: 2
    when the overdrive went out I had pulled the valve body down, replaced the snap ring, and fished out the piece that was stuck in it. I had it towed to a transmission shop this morning to have the experts look at it. When the truck works right I absolutely love it, I have to agree with you there. It is a great truck to drive, and it performs well both on and off the road. I am just tired of being without a vehicle and without money when it breaks down.
  • dsmith9009dsmith9009 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 F-150 FX4 with the 5.4 and when I am driving and the RPM's get low as it shifts to a high gear and i gently mash the accelerator the truck starts to shake. I need a professional opinion. There isn't any kind of engine light coming on and the idle is normal.
  • xt2pathfinderxt2pathfinder Member Posts: 2
    Coil packs are very common on the 5.4 and it causes this issue. I'm sure if
    The trucks rpm's are high the truck runs fine. Also doesn't like to
    Spit out a code. If this is in fact the issue replace them all because they
    Will start to go one by one. Good luck.
  • 305mack305mack Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    In the last 6-7 months, I noticed when I incline in the truck, it jerks. It was not doing it that often but it was doing it. Took a 3hr trip last month and noticed that it jerk several times. I took it to the mechanic and had the transmission flushed and serviced. It continued to do it. Now the transmission indicator light is on. What could be the problem and what should I do?
  • rwlayrwlay Member Posts: 3
    It's not the coil packs it's in the tranney when the accelerator is gently pressed to boost power enough for a slight incline the overdrive will start slamming until you give more accelerator. The torque conv slip actual will range from 0 - 16383, the torque conv clutch will range from 0 - 100.0% and that is how all the pressures are fluctuating while the tranny is doing this slamming.

Would the TCC Pressure Control cause the problem? And also someone may have put the wrong fluid in it, would this maybe be the cause?
  • warriorcoachwarriorcoach Member Posts: 17
    I have an '05 SCREW w/ about 86,000 miles. Doing the exact same thing. Seems to happen in higher gears, 30-50 mph around 1200 rpm.
  • longhorn12longhorn12 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like exactly"> what's happening with my 2007 F150 SuperCrew, 5.4, 75K miles. Happens on a slight incline if I take my foot off accelerator and then gently press accelerator again at around 50 mph. "Slamming" is a pretty good description of it. It's a heavy jerking/clunking. I usually either let off or give more accelerator to make it stop. It seems to have something to do with shifting in or out of overdrive. If I turn overdrive off, it doesn't happen. What's the fix for this?
  • tpsafetytpsafety Member Posts: 1
    Please forgive me, I'm not a gear head and my terminology may not be correct, but Recently I noticed when I'm traveling between 40 - 50 MPH with my foot off the accelerator pedal and then accelerating, the vehicle (engine) feels like it is missing, but then I took it to a garage who placed it on the computer and nothing appeared to be wrong. Then a friend was riding with me and the vehicle "did it", he said that it could be the transmission. He called a friend (mechanic) who said that the 2006 has had some transmission wiring problems. When I think of transmissions, I don't think of wiring...??? Has anyone heard of this and is it a shop repair or can I do myself?
    Thank you for your comments.
  • angrahamangraham Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 F150 2wd 5.0 302 automatic transmission. Just replaced the tr switch (neutral safety switch) because I thought that was the issue however the problem is still there. Starts fine idles at about 1000 rpm some days you can put her in drive and off she goes she will shift roughly but she shifts, other days (or later that day) i put her in drive and she wont shift out of second. there are no determining factors as to why its slipping or why it will slip but I can be driving along at 40 to 50 mph and she will slip right out of gear and go into first, the rpm jump from 600 or 1000 to 3000. I put lucas transmission stuff in it that said it helps with slipping and seals any leaks but that was before I changed the tr switch. Any suggestion or experience in the matter would be greatly appreciated as I don't think I can afford to take her to the shop and if I can fix it myself I would rather do that.