Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Transmission Problems

167891012»

Comments

• abmorejonabmorejon Member Posts: 1
    I just experienced like a miss firing with my 2006 f250, had a turbine speed sensor error and replaced, kept with the tow haul lite blinking and miss firing so the wire harness was replaced also replaced. Hope this was it, I'm getting the truck today.
  • hdduckhunterhdduckhunter Member Posts: 2
    Good afternoon. I have an 06 F150 5.4 Triton Lariat 4x4 crew cab. Between 40-50 MPH the truck bumps or bounces. If I accelerate the truck hesitates then takes off, and the bouncing goes away. Also, if I let off the gas peddle, it goes away too. The check engine light isnt on. I had the transmission flushed at 100K, I now have 150K, on the truck. It doesnt sound good but other than that, the truck runs excellent. I have heard of some wiring issues but i can't confirm. Thank you for all your help.
  • brixybrixy Member Posts: 1
    Mack,
    This exact problem was making me crazy. I was sure I was into another transmission. It was simple: a new set of plugs. Seriously, I had an error message for a coil, but it was fine. The plugs were totally messed up. They are wicked hard to remove once they are this old and will separate. You'll need a special Ford tool to remove the part that separates. It's $120, and trust me you'll need it. IT'S NOT THE TRANNY! IT'S A STUPID SPARK PLUG SHORT!
    Good luck.
    Brixy
  • tjindallastjindallas Member Posts: 1
    Got to love the Internet. I came looking for a solution and your post exactly matches my problem. Year/body/mileage/speed spot on. Did replacing the plugs work for you?
  • warriorcoachwarriorcoach Member Posts: 17
    I have not done anything yet. I kind of know how to avoid making it happen now. I have a little ove 90,000 miles so I will probably just have the plugs done this summer and see if that fixes it.
  • hdduckhunterhdduckhunter Member Posts: 2
    Just tuned the truck up and that's all that it needed. It is running like new!
    Thanks
  • warriorcoachwarriorcoach Member Posts: 17
    I went ahead and had a tune up done to the tune of $500+. Also had to have the drivers side IWE done a tthe same time. Funny that they told me it would be an extra $100 for each plug that broke off when trying to get them out. I was going to hit them with "what is the book time on a plug change" and "how much time did you actually spend" I was not going to pay an extra $100 per plug. I have heard the tool does an excellant job of getting them out. Fortunately for me, no plugs broke. The tech said he has been using a new technique - which is the complete opposite of what FORD tells them to do. He said he puts a small impact socket on the plug and lets it hammer away for 3-5 minutes on low pressure, about 30 PSI. Then he tries to remove the plug. HE said he has done about a dozen trucks like this and has had no plugs break. I don't know, but it worked for mine - thank goodness. Now to fix my odometer display and replace my drivers side window switch AGAIN. Did front brakes this weekend - pretty easy job. Oh, by the way. They also charged me $200 for diagnostics on both issues. I took the tech for a ride and he diagnosed both problems on the ride - said he was sure that's what it was. Still charged for the mysterious "diagnostics".
  • muncymuncy Member Posts: 10
    my 1992 ford f-150 tranny keeps wearing out the forks for first and second gear every few months why, help,
  • eastmountaineastmountain Member Posts: 1
    can you interchange a 93 Ford F350 7.3L Diesel transmission with a 96 Ford F250 turbo transmission
  • longhorn12longhorn12 Member Posts: 3
    I posted here because I was convinced I had a transmission problem. I read posts suggesting that it might be plugs. I was skeptical. But I finally took it in and had the plugs changed and the problem was fixed. It was the plugs. It's running great now.
  • crappyfordcrappyford Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issues with my 2006. I thought it was the tranny and it ended up just being the spark plugs. I had one plug break off during the changing of them, as it is very common with the 5.4 3V Engine. I tried to get Ford to reimburse me for the cost to extract the broken off plug. They pretty much told me to kiss my butt. It's a common issue that should've been recalled. I was lucky, I read other post where folks had to pay several thousand dollars to pull the heads to remove plug ends that fell in the engine. I've been a ford owner pretty much my whole life. But I think this is going to be my last one since they don't want to take care of their customers. :mad:
  • z28man1z28man1 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 1994 f150 1/2 ton 4x4 truck. sometimes when you drive it the transmission will shift VERY HARD, as if it has a shift kit. but then again you might drive it for 2 or 3 days & it will shift normal. when it does this hard shift it will practically jerk your head against the back glass.. i've been told its prbably the speed sensors, one on the rear end, and one on the transmission. any body got any solutions to this problem?
  • z28man1z28man1 Member Posts: 3
    my 1994 f150 is kinda doing the same thing. mine shifts very hard at times and other times you might drive it 2 or 3 days & it will shift normal
  • aclem10aclem10 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a f150xlt 1990, when i got it it was woring great for a work truck. after a week the cluch started acting funny. I was backing up out of my drive way and the cluch would not come off the floor,. I waited for about and hour took the resv cap off put only about 1/2 inc of fluid in the res and it was full but the cluch started working.. another week goes by and it is doing the same thing however now the res is still full. Should i just bleed the line or is there something more wrong with it?
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    Hate to tell ya but it's probably the Clutch Slave Sleeve leaking on you. Now if you have a 4 speed you are lucky and its simple to change out but if you have the 5 speed you will have to pull the transmission.
  • aclem10aclem10 Member Posts: 2
    Yea thats what i though however the fliud is still full not leaking nothing any fluid... I can not find a bleed value either idk..?
  • blake16blake16 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 F150 with 125000k miles on it. It recently stopped shifting into overdrive and would just go into a false neutral at about 30-40 Miles per hour. I have had diagnostics on the transmission and a service done and nothing was found. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions or solutions??
  • bassiebassie Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    Hey Guys : I don't have too much experience with the newer Fords, but I have a question on behalf of a co-worker. He has a 2007 FORD F150 5.4 TITAN, and has 145,000 miles on it. Just recently, the transmission started shifting hard both in town and on the freeway. The condition started in the high gears (3rd and overdrive), but now seems to be jerking alot all the time. From my experience with older Fords, I told him to check out the overdrive module, as I have known people that have had it 'go out', and it seemed like the transmission was shot, but in reality it was the overdrive module that had gone bad. As a test, I had him turn off the overdrive switch on the gear shift and drive it home today without using the overdrive. He did that (about 30 miles on the freeway) and some in town, and it performed perfectly ! - So does anyone know if on the 2007's, they still have a module that 'gives up' at a certain point, and just needs to be replaced ?
  • bassiebassie Member Posts: 3
    Hey Blake : That sounds similar to the problems i just posted with my friend's 2007. - My interpretation is that the overdrive contol module is shot. Take a look at my post and see what you think. I had another friend that had an older Ford that when the module went out, it jerked and bounced like the transmission was falling out the bottom ! - It would appear that Ford doesn't have the best overdrive systems ! - I wonder if your truck is losing the module in a different way ?
  • blake16blake16 Member Posts: 2
    Hey thanks Bassie! I will check that out. So far, everyone has been convinced that the problem was somewhere in the transmission. I will let you know if that solves the problem!
  • clewclew Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Ford F150 that shifts periodically. We installed a new transmission, however the problem still exists. Can you please help me? My husband recently passed away and I now drive his truck. This truck scares me to death when it shifts hard. I’m terrified I will break down.
  • rmoyermoye Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 F150 4wd 4.6 reg cab with a trans that only goes in rev. I changed fluid & filter every 30k. about 6 months ago it started shifting hard from 1st to second and the od light always flashed on & off. Never any real trouble till now. No forward gears. 4wd shifts in and out ok but only in rev. no warning or check engine lights. Any ideas. I really do need some help on this. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • fenderbender84fenderbender84 Member Posts: 1
    Most likely the synchro dog springs are worn or need to be replaced. The synchro dog springs align the shift forks in the center to prevent the shift forks and synchros from ove shifting and actually rubbing against the gears, thereby causing them to wear out prematurely. Often times when the tranny is rebuilt this is something overlooked and the shifter forks premature failing is a result of the worn springs. As the forks tend to rest either slightly forward or slightly back. You can continue replacing the forks every few months or the next time the forks need replacing pop the tranny out and preform some minor surgery, or have a quality tranny mechanic do it.

Ford F150 5 speed tranny M5R2 Actually built by Mazada or toyota and is a light duty transmission used in the f150 and t-bird, and mustangs. From 1992 to current. The M5R2 is a top loader transmission and depending the application depends upon the location of the shifter housing. F150 is a true top loader as compared to the stang, bird or mazada trucks. The shifter is located to the back of the tranny tail housing. Hope this helps.
  • stg1993stg1993 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 F150 4-6 automatic, which my son was driving at first it would not go in drive, after trying a couple of times he got it to go in drive then it would not go over about 30 to 35 mph and did not shift. I was told to change the filter and fluid first, I have done that and it still will not go over 30 to 35 mph and seems to not even try to shift. Anyone have any possible suggestions on what the problem could be.

Thanks,
  • bud70bud70 Member Posts: 2
    My transmission worked great unitl I pulled the motor and tranny out to replace seals and gaskets. I also power washed the engine and tranny. I put the engine and tranny back in, double checked all the plugs and grounds. I can put the tranny into reverse, 1st and 2nd it works, but it will not shift on its own. Any ideas out there on what could be wrong?
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    When the transmission goes, it is designed to go into the lowest gear and stay there. I had the same thing, although it was not the entire transmission. It was a part and wound up costing me $300. I was lucky. You are not going to help it with a fluid change. It may be done for, but hopefully not.
  • bud70bud70 Member Posts: 2
    Mine is a 1992 F-150, I have all gears, it just won't shift on its own. What was the part you had to buy?
  • pistonpinpistonpin Member Posts: 3
    Probably shift solenoid pack. If any electronic faults, it goes to failsafe
  • esnaucederesnauceder Member Posts: 1
    Our F150 is our yard truck. It has lived it's life on the road, and has now been "put out to pasture".

The problems we are facing now is when we shift the truck into any position. PRND21, they all go forward. Surprisingly when you get in nuetral, the truck "smooths out". There is no neutral or reverse, any ideas???

Yes, we checked the transmission fluid.
  • topcat19topcat19 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    We just bought a used 1997 F 250 plow truck. Today was our first time using it. We were backing up and I noticed a line of rust colored drips. It appears that a cap of some kind was knocked off and all the transmission fluid ran out. The guy at Napa said there is no cap there. But my husband looked under and definetlynsaw where a metal cap would go. A anyone know if this is true, what it is called? And any other advise.

Thanks
  • jam6269jam6269 Member Posts: 1
    have 1991 f250 tranmission was rebuild because was not shifting out of 2 in to d &od was it still doing same thing was told it was elector or something else can anyone help and is there any way to scan a 91
  • bigtruck48bigtruck48 Member Posts: 2
    I GOT A 1996 F150 FORD PICKUP..THE AUTOMATIC TRANS IT PUSH BUTTON OVERDRIVE AND LATLEY THE LIGHT ON THE BUUTONT TO PUT IT IN OVER DRIVE HAS BEEN FLASHING AND THE TRANS SEEMS LIKE ITS HOLDING BACK,LIKE TIGHTING UP SO WHAT DO U THINK THE PROBLEM IS?AND IF I TURN THR TRUCK OFF PUT IT BACK IN GEAR ITS OK
  • bigtruck48bigtruck48 Member Posts: 2
    I GOT A 1996 F150 FORD PICKUP..THE AUTOMATIC TRANS IT PUSH BUTTON OVERDRIVE AND LATLEY THE LIGHT ON THE Button TO PUT IT IN OVER DRIVE HAS BEEN FLASHING AND THE TRANS SEEMS LIKE ITS HOLDING BACK,LIKE TIGHTING UP SO WHAT DO U THINK THE PROBLEM IS?AND IF I TURN THR TRUCK OFF PUT IT BACK IN GEAR ITS OK
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    While it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, a flashing overdrive light usually means the overdrive has been disabled due to a detected problem (overheating, etc.). You likely now have a trouble code from this, so get the codes checked and that should give you a starting point..

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • rich37000rich37000 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Have a 2004 F150 4.6 v8 w/130k miles. Have gone through 2 ignition coils (cylinders 1&3) the past few months after jerky idling and coding. Everything worked fine for a month, but now I am getting occasional wobble in the RPMs at a stop light accompanied by a "bump" from what feels like the tranny. Accelerates fine and on even highway is fine, but when it goes up a hill it will buck and jerk briefly as it downshifts under load. Has towing package and trans cooler but have only towed about 6 times with it. I'm the only owner and have kept all maintenance fully up to date. Any ideas?

Oddly enough, if I accelerate up the same hill by giving it more gas it does not seem to act up...
  • mikekf150mikekf150 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Ford F150, 4.6 engine, with an automatic trans. The trans worked good , no problems , the guy I bought it from said he just had the trans rebuilt. It drove fine, then all of a sudden just started to slip completely in all gears , and when I shut it off for awhile, then started it again it run fine for a short distance , then went out in all gears again. Not sure if it is computer, a valve body problem or a torque converter problem. Can anyone here that knows what the problem might be, shed some light on this for me ? Thank you for any help you might be able to give. Mike
  • gcsod45gcsod45 Member Posts: 4
    I have this vehicle. It has a 302 in it and 85000 original miles. Drove it 2 days ago with no problem and then yesterday it only shifted when it wanted too and only after i was doing 25-30 mph. I made sure it was full on tranny fluid. I know nothing about trannys, any help. I was told to check vacuum lines but not sure which ones. Also i have no ideal if filter has ever been changed. thanks for help.
  • perroloco777perroloco777 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: My 1998 f 150 147,000 miles on it and runs fine under normal conditions.
    when I'm driving my pick up and I press the throttle fully to pass another car the engine increased approximately to 4500 RPM, the speed of my truck increases but will not release the passing gear or shift until I back out of the throttle. Some solution?
  • kayrokayro Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I have the exact problem with my 1990 F150. It's hard to shift at times and then
    it's ok for a couple of days. Mine is stick shift and sometimes when shifting to reverse, makes a noise like when you have the motor going and try to start it by mistake.
    Any ideas Any body?
  • tomottotomotto Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my truck last week with 183,000 miles on it, 7 days later the tranny is acting up. It takes 3 or 4 seconds to drop into reverse, vibrates like crazy going up hills. Fluid is full, doesn't smell burnt, Could anyone give me a suggestion what to check with the tranny first before I have to take it to a shop to have it pulled? I'd like to take it to someone who knows how to rebuild a Ford tranny the right way. Anyone know anyone that rebuilds them or the name of a good shop in the Daytona Beach, FL. 32114 area. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank You......Tom
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    Dont be shocked to find they added saw dust to make it run. Your Transmission is shot. Where ever you live check on craigslist for a re builder for a good price.
  • dcollingwooddcollingwood Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem. While on a trip, the voltage regulator in the alternator went out. Now my truck is shifting the same way. if you find out what it is that's causing the problem could you let me know. My e-mail address is bccolling@digis.net. Send me you e-mail address and I will let you know when I find out. Please and thank you.
  • imaeaglesfanimaeaglesfan Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 F15 4x4 with a triton 4.6 with 127000 miles it just started hesitating when I try to hold a steady speed changed the fuel filter and fuel pump and no luck. .Mechanic couldn't find anything wrong so my next thing is having the tranny checked but wanted other opinions before taking it to AAMCO please someone give me some answers.