Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

When is the diesel Caliber coming to US?

jhknightjhknight Member Posts: 46
edited March 2014 in Dodge
Anyone know or heard any rumor about when/if there's going to be a diesel Caliber available in the US? maybe a hybrid ?

Comments

• pontiacgtppontiacgtp Member Posts: 15
    I would think if one ever does become available it would need emissions clean enough for all 50 states.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    jhkinght: Speaking from my own experience, my wife and I bought a diesel Liberty Sept of 05. We believed that this was something DCX was doing was of a permanent nature. But we were only a "test market" for DCX. DCX knew from day one that they were only going to make the CRD in the Liberty for two years. This CRD (diesel) option was nearly $2,000 extra paid by the buyers to be a part of a DCX "test market" Now no one buying these diesels knew this. Now only 11,000 of these CRD liberties were made. There are a number of problems with these CRD Liberty's, not all CRD's have problems, but a significant number od the CRD's do.
    I for one feel rather taken advantage of. These CRD's will either keep their value because they are desirable to own, or their value will drop like a rock in a lake. I do not like being in this position as we are retired, and really do not want to trade this vehicle for 6 more years, when I am 67.
    So be careful what you ask for you just might become a "test market" for DCX.

Farout
  • jhknightjhknight Member Posts: 46
    Hello? Hello?
    any word on mpg improvements or diesel engine options???
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    All that I've seen so far is diesel interest and specualtion from Caliber enthusiasts as faras a diesel option for the US market.

Found an article on the 2007 Caliber that says:

The 2007 Dodge Caliber will be available with all three displacements in the World Engine family: 1.8-liter (140 hp / 104 kW), 2.0-liter (150 hp / 112 kW) and 2.4-liter (170 hp / 127 kW). For non-US markets, Dodge is offering a new 2.0-liter turbo diesel engine (which is built by Volkswagen).
  • jhknightjhknight Member Posts: 46
    seems like suddenly dealer have in stock calibers they're offering rebates on now that everyone knows what kind of guzzlers they really are. I would have been first in line for a RT awd caliber if it got at least 27mpg. posts on this forum indicate 18 mpg. My sxt 2.0 cvt gets a disappointing 25 mpg and it's getting worse with each tank. :mad:
  • neely2005neely2005 Member Posts: 70
    "Whining aside, the Caliber is an attractive and rounded package, especially when equipped with the diesel engine. The latter adds an interesting dimension -- it is clean, refined and remarkably quiet and it delivers wonderful fuel efficiency. Yet it has the low-end grunt only a diesel can muster. One can only hope that when Dodge introduces the Caliber SRT4, the diesel-powered version is sitting right alongside it. If I were a betting man, I'd have a little wager on it coming to Canada."

http://driving.canada.com/research/viewroadtest.spy?artid=61175

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/news/new-dodge-caliber-is-selling-out-in-europ- e/2080/

:)
  • rene6rene6 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am from Europe and I brought Caliber 2.0 Diesel 1 year ago. This car is fantastic. Outside the city it takes 5.3liters of diesel on 100km. It does from 0-60 in about 9.0seconds. I am going to buy upgrade kit, so it will have much more power, upgrade kit will increase the power from 140hp to 180hp and 0-60 in about 8.5s and the consumption will stay the same. Once again great car.

Rene
  • nonnemachernonnemacher Member Posts: 98
    Using US measures and conversions, Rene is getting about 44.5 MPG with the diesel Caliber - sign me up in Ohio!!! GN
  • caliberqueencaliberqueen Member Posts: 2
    They have the Diesel Caliber's here in the Uk with the 1.8L VW engines and they are selling better than the CVT 2L which i have but I am going to purchase a 2L DIESEL DODGE JOURNEY SXT or prehaps the RT...but I also read that since FIAT has bought Chrysler?? they have annouced that they are REMOVING THE DODGE BRAND from EUROPE and renaming them as ALFA-ROMEOS???..BAH....the european car giants seem to hate the US cars..WHY??????? :cry:
This discussion has been closed.