Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Vue Maintenance and Repair

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
Got problems with your VUE? Can you help with solving them? Here's the place to do it.

tidester, host

Comments

• voneal627voneal627 Member Posts: 1
    I have been a happy Saturn owner since 1995, starting with a little SL2. I finally caved in 2003 when it was stolen, and decided I was ready for an SUV. It's funny, but I didn't even know at the time that Saturn made an SUV. Well, for $ sake, I "settled" for the 2003 4-cyl manual model with NO bells and whistles. Although it was not as powerful as I felt an SUV should be, I was relatively happy with it. BUT this year I finally took the leap and got the '06 Red Line. This is quite a powerful vehicle. But I have two major complaints. First, and hopefully this one will soon become my only complaint, I hate the centre console. On the 2003 model, the console sets low between the front seat and each cupholder is amply large for almost any cup you'd use. For large drinking jugs like tankards and gallon-size bladder-busters, I was always able to just set the thing on top of the console and it remained stably supported between the seats. In the '06 Red Line, the console sets level with the front seats AND the cupholders are smaller. I can use my coffee travel mug, fast food cups, and 16 or maybe 20 oz soda bottles. Anything larger will not fit and you can't just set it on top because there's nothing to help hold it!

My second complaint lately has been A/C. I only have 9800 miles on this car, and for the past ~month I've had A/C problems. My drive to work lasts ~50 minutes, and sometimes AFTER work I get all the way home and the A/C has not yet reached full cooling temp. I won't belabour the point, but I'm hoping that on my now 3rd trip to the dealership tomorrow, they will find the problem and fix it!
  • nicolecora927nicolecora927 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2002 Vue last year. In the winter the SES light continued to come on and I replaced the EAC (don't remember the name) Sensor. Two days later it came on again. I was fed up with it and my mechanic said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. I drove it for two weeks and it went off then came back on for one and it hasn't come on sine January. NOW...my car continues to Vapor Lock (or so I think). I will be idling and it dies and won't start up again. The gage does not say it's hot and when you open the gas cap and pour water on it you can start it in about 30 minutes or so until it dies again. My mechanic and the dealership cannot find anything wrong with it but if it doesn't start or stay running there HAS to be something wrong. Any ideas???? I'm scared to drive it and at this point I just want to drive it off a cliff!!!
  • scopusscopus Member Posts: 6
    My vehicle used to do something similar. I would be driving down the road and it would just stall out. If I let the car cool down (about 30-45 min.) it would then start up again. It would only stall after at least 20 minutes of driving. On short trips around town it was fine. The SES light would always come on but the mechanic was able to identify the code (???) after hooking it up to a computer.

Replacing the mass air flow sensor fixed it (the second time). The first one was bad too (rebuilt part). It definitely shook my confidence in the car, but since replacing it, it drives fine now.
  • rdcreelrdcreel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 vue and recently involved in an accident and now the engine hesitates or surges, bumps while the a/c unit is on. Is there anything i can look for to resolve the problem?
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    Sounds like the clutch or bearings in the A/C compressor are seizing or engaging when they shouldn't. You should be able start the engine, switch on the A/C, flip the hood and watch the A/C belt and compressor to see if it appears to be "stalling" or dragging intermittently.
  • gasoonergasooner Member Posts: 5
    My daughter has a 2002 Saturn Vue. While driving, the instrument panel "turns off". It lasts momentarily and then as mysteriously as it "turned off" it comes back on. I don't believe the engine dies. It's annoying to her and the dealer says they can't find the cause. Any clues?
  • toddportertoddporter Member Posts: 1
    We had similar electrical problems with our 2002 Vue. In the end, they replaced the wiring harness and they went away.

Getting to that was a fiasco, though. Our extended warranty didn't want to pay for the repair, since the dealership didn't want to individually check each wire of the harness to prove that something was actually broken. I won't be buying any more Saturns because of the horrendous service and repeated quality issues with the Vue.

Hope you fare better.

Todd
  • talexa36talexa36 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I have an 04 saturn vue V6 awd, suspension components replaced twice under warranty, 45k, and it rides like crap. Any suggestions for aftermarket bushings?
  • prrgg1prrgg1 Member Posts: 3
    Can I replace the horn on an 06 Vue 6 cyl with a louder one by simply mounting the new horn and reconnecting the wires even if the new horn says use a 20 amp fuse? Can I use the original relay etc.?
  • bubby1bubby1 Member Posts: 1
    After about 2 years my 2005 Saturn Vue does not start as soon as you turn the key anymore. This does not happen all the time. But sometimes the engine will crank for about 10 to 15 seconds before it starts, and it will always start. Someone told me that the fuel filter is partially clogged. First, where is the fuel filter located? Second, Has anyone seen this problem too?
  • jhkrbkjhkrbk Member Posts: 1
    Our 2003 Vue looses power after idling at a stop. When you press the accelerator, nothing happens, the engine doesn't rev, and the car will creep forward. This is very intermittent, happening only every few weeks. However, it is getting to a point of being dangerous because we never know when it is going to happen. The local delearship reprogrammed the TCM controller, which helped a little but didn't solve it. They can't find anything further wrong with it. Has anyone else had this happen?
  • democratdemocrat Member Posts: 1
    How do I replace my cabin filter on a 2006 Saturn Vue 2.2 liter?
    Bill
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This should help: Saturn Vue Cabin Air Filter

Let us know how you make out!

tidester, host
  • skibunny6skibunny6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 Vue AWD V6 and it is making an annoying squealing noise. It is intermittent and coming from the passenger front. The squeeling increases with speed and and I can't pinpoint what brings it on. I have had it to the dealer, but of course it never squeals for them and they said they checked everyting...did I buy a pig?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Instruct your dealer to check the belts.

tidester, host
  • wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    I have a 2003 Vue I4 FWD. Has anyone found a source for manuals for the Vues?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's one option - try your local public library. They may subscribe to alldatadiy.com or to the Auto Repair Reference Center database. In my area I can get free online access to the latter from my home computer and can just print out the pages I need.

Autozone.com offers free online repair guides for a lot of different cars too.
    Many thanks. I suppose Chilton/Haynes will eventually get around to it, but the wait is a killer!
  • lurch96lurch96 Member Posts: 1
    mine does the same thing...as I've heard this in a previously owned vehicle I think it's the wheel bearing...this is most likely my cause anyway because the tone of the annoying sound doesn't change like a belt would...ie when you give it gas you'd hear the sound change...mine only changes with the speed of the tires...it's a bad wheel bearing at 30K...not good!!
  • wadelwadel Member Posts: 5
    Just took delivery of a 2007 AWD Vue. Only had it 3 days now. Seems as if the radio volume changes on it's own. If you listen closely it drops down then back to your original setting. Are there any issues like this found by others? Or is it my Wifes and my imagination? We have the FM w/CD radio.
    Don't overlook that it could be the radio station you are listening to, or even strength of signal due to driving around and changing location. And like on TV, maybe the advertisements are broadcast louder. Other than that, I suppose you could have a "weak transistor" in the receiver.
  • oitsuboboitsubob Member Posts: 5
    First let me say I LOVE MY VUE!! Unfortunately I am getting tired of freezing my toes off because my floor level selector on my heat and air doesn't seem to work right any more. Worked fine before, but now when I select the floor flow option the air comes through the upper dash vents in my face. I loved the fact that I could keep the air out of my eyes! This past weekend I took the dash and console out thinking I could correct the problem, but they did not make the air handling unit easy to get to. Even if I could get to it there wasn't a clear cut way to get in it! Any suggestions? I have looked everywhere for a manual and there are none to be found unless you work for saturn...
    My freezing toes thank any help they can get! :confuse:
    I would hate to have to do it, but a lot of public libraries can hook you up with the Mitchell Manual. It is quite comprehensive, and therefore might help you out.
    Here's a link to Mitchell and some other repair manuals that your library may offer access to.
    Outstanding! Thanks.
    I took the advice of all the folks who say that you can find manuals for the vue through manufactureres. I don't mind investing the money to own one, but how come none are available to the average joe??! I got shuffled to Auto zones manual site and they don't even have my year listed! When I go to Mitchells site I find that I have to pay some membership to access any info. I sure hope the library has something! Kind of starting to feel like no one is supposed to know anything about rapairs on thier Vues. Some of us just don't trust the fly-by-night mechanics to work on something we are spending our hard earned dollors on. I'm not saying all mechanics are like that, but all the ones that I even let touch my Vue have screwed up one thing while "fixing" another. Sorry guys, really frustrated :(
    It is a pain; the online one that I can get to just has TSBs and wiring diagrams for the Vue.

There is one factory repair manual for sale on eBay at the moment - usual disclaimers!
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Let me get this straight. You have a new car and it has a problem and you start taking it apart to fix it. Why haven't you gone to the dealership????
    I understood it to be an '04 Vue - maybe the warranty has run out?
    Yes warranty has run out, but I wasn't too confident in the dealership that I had to use either. Too many problems with fixing one thing and breaking something else...
  • trraffictrraffic Member Posts: 6
    I left my 07 V6 AWD in my steep driveway facing down in 20 degree weather for about three hours a few day ago. When my husband went out to start it/put it in the garage, it would not start. He tried a few times, then gave it some gas. Then it was fine. I've had the car for only 1.5 weeks (bought it with just under 700 miles, still considered new). It has not happened before or since, but I have also not parked my car on a steep hill. Is this normal? I traded my 97 Ford Explorer for this car, and never had the car starting problem with that one.
    Thanks, I had the wife pull over last time it happened. It was low, then sounds like the base shut off, then got loud, and then normal.. I'm afraid to say it may be a defect. My problem? Trying to get the service manager to hear this intermittent problem...
    That "prove it" demand from service departments has come to making me steer clear of certain brands of vehicles, be they cars, trucks, or motorcycles. :mad:
  • porrettporrett Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any problems with the seats. I am debating the issue between leather and the cloth/pethleather ie vinyl. Yes, I would prefer the leather, however the dealer can't find the color car I want with the leather seats, so my only other option is the cloth/vinyl. I'm need to know, I'm buying today. thanks for any help
  • trraffictrraffic Member Posts: 6
    This is probably too late, but I got a Vue with leather seats (silver exterior and grey interior) about a month ago. When it is really cold, leather is not so good. I just hope in the summer, it won't be too hot, but I think the tinted windows will help. I did not want leather, but I did want the DVD, and that was the only one they had in the area. Part of me wishes I would have held out for a few more weeks; then I either would have stuck with cloth or else gotten heated seats., but I got a pretty good combination of rebates and the 0 percent finance for 60 months which was expiring a few days after I got the car.
    New Information. Had Saturn replace radio. Just my luck, this new one seems worse. Really frustrating. My 1995 ford Pu and my 2006 toyota gets better radio reception, if in fact the problem is reception. I don't know what to do. The radio stinks! Shouldn't be that way for a 27k vehicle. Anyone have advice?

Wade :(
    Perhaps you have an electrical wiring problem that resides outside the radio itself. :confuse:
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    We had a 2003 FWD V6 Vue that served us well for 3 1/2 years. But then, the dealer said there was a problem with a sway bar and a wheel bearing, and the tires needed replaced. About $1500 in all. We didn't like that idea and traded it in on a 2007 FWD V6 Mariner.

The gas mileage had begun to decline the last couple of months also.
    As much as I have liked our 2003 FWD Vue, I was overwhelmed by the discount through last month on the 2007 Jeep GC. I traded... I no longer own a Saturn. :cry:
  • tcbpchtcbpch Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 saturn vue 4cyl with 27773 k/m. During a drive, all three engine mounts broke. Now they claim that it is not a warranty issue. They claim I towed something to heavy or got stuck somewhere. Is there anyone else with a similar issue
  • ess3ess3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 that has done the same thing. I've had it at the dealership 4 times. The first time they reset the plugs. The 2nd and 3rd times they found nothing and the 4th time they upgraded the computer. It's started again and now it's worse than before. Any suggestions?
  • jmil74jmil74 Member Posts: 2
    We all know that we had trouble with removing those door panels. When I got my car alarm installed, they broke the clips on the bottom. Now my door panel keeps catching everytime I open the door. I have been looking all over for a door panel. A used, salvaged, refurbished panel would work. Saturn wants to charge me $500 for a brand new one. Does anybody have any ideas as to where I could get one?
  • jakrugjakrug Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 VUE with AWD which has had a vibration for 3 years. The differential has now been rebuilt and the vibration is gone, but I'm left with a humm in the gears. Is there any type of additive that will lesson the noise?
  • vanjessvanjess Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any suggestions??????

in the last couple weeks my Vue has been having problems starting. It will seem like it is going to start and then the car won't idle and just turn off. After a few tries and or pump the gas it will turn on. Once it turns on it runs just fine.

Any ideas or suggestions
  • pegmpegm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Saturn Vue that in the last 2 months the ABS light, SE light, SES light, and brake lights are coming on and staying on. The gas hand and rpm hand has also started moving up and down very quickly. The vehicle is running fine. I have had a couple mechanics check it out and nobody can find a problem with it. Any suggestions?
  • doreenrdoreenr Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone. I have a 2005 Vue and have had the rotors changed 4 times. The third time was the last week in July, 07 and I just had to have the changed again this past week (8/8/07). Something is not right with this. The service tech told me that this wasn't a "SAFETY ISSUE" :lemon: , but doesn't the rotors have something to do with the vehicle stopping! I told the service tech that I wanted to talk to the manager, but he just happened to have left for the day and wouldn't be in until Saturday. The service tech would talk to him on Saturday and give me a call. Here it is Sunday and no response. I did give the Attorney Generals office a call and they in turn told me to call the Dealers Commission Board. I did do that and they suggested that I go on this site to see if anyone was having a similar problem and to wait for the call from the service tech. My warranty will be up in 800 miles and I don't want to be replacing rotors everyother week. I'm a female and I never heard of doing rotors 4 times in 2 years! Can someone give me some information. I'm thinking that there is something else wrong that is making the rotors wear down so quick. Please help!
  • prrgg1prrgg1 Member Posts: 3
    Try calling 1-800-lemonlaw or try this web site,www.carlemon.com both are very informative
    Thanks for the phone number and web site. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again, Doreen
  • bkinga2bkinga2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue on the same car, 06 Vue AWD V6. I have had the hub replaced and no change. It starts at 30 mph and stops around 20 mph. It seems to do it in the morning for a few miles. I have put the car in neutral going 40 mph and the sound does not change, even if I rev it.

The shop has seen the car 3 times now. They have no idea what it is.
    Try www.carlemon.com. You may have a breach of warranty issue going on. This web site is a good one.