Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Real World MPG

Comments

• canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    While the V6 would probably do the job, consider the V8 for towing. My average V6 mileage is down to 15.4 in mostly city driving and the vehicle is dependable. I attribute some of this to the Bridgestone Revo's. Michelins would probably offer better MPG. Just don't expect Pilot MPG if you get a 4Runner. Anyway, happy shopping!
  • lexuslxlexuslx Member Posts: 18
    I am needing to replace the tires on my 03 4Runner Ltd V8 4wd and am looking at all-terrain 265-70-17... The factory size is 265-65-17's. I'm wondering if the 70's are going to rub against the inner fender well or anything. Are yours working well? Thanks in advance!
  • jlabriejlabrie Member Posts: 10
    The V-6 is fine for towing if you're not needing to tow that often. If you tow often, definitely opt for the V-8.

As for gas mileage, my V-6 has been incredibly good. I average 19.22 MPG in my 2005 SR-5 4WD with 36,500 miles on it.

So for me the V-6 was the way to go because I don't tow that often and when I do it's only 90 miles round trip. I wanted to get the best mileage I could while still having better towing capacity than, say, the Highlander.

As a comparison, the '05 Highlander V6 AWD that I replaced with the 4Runner averaged 20.52 MPG. And it could only tow 3500 lbs.

Hope that helps.

John
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    My average is down to 15.2 MPG in 70/30 city driving with the 2003 SR5 4X4 V6. I don't read of anyone doing worse, but with mostly city driving I can't complain. My last long highway trip was last May averaging 18.6 MPG and staying within 5mph of the speed limit. The Revo tires are killing the mileage and increasing the road noise, but that's the tradeoff going to those tires. Vehicle runs fine otherwise at 31,000 miles.
  • akinsintennakinsintenn Member Posts: 4
    my 96 runner has 224,000, i'm getting about 12 mpg. where should i start? air filter? plugs? tune-up?

v-6 sr5 4x4
  • timmygregorytimmygregory Member Posts: 2
    I need to change the plugs in a 2003 4runner with a v8. There is a bar or pipe over the plugs and the wire connectors that needs to be removed before removing the plugs.
    Anyone know how to take this off and any suggestions on this procedure.
    Also, is it necessary to replace the plug wires or will replacing the plugs suffice?
    I have the sport model and I typically get 19-21 MPG's in 50/50 hwy/city driving, but I'm not lead foot and I coast a lot.
    Thanks in advance
    Tim
  • hotdogonastickhotdogonastick Member Posts: 30
    hello all. i got my runner new in 03 and currently have 23050 miles on it. i use it mainly for trips or to carry cargo. on average i get 15.5 mpg on the computer but actual calculations is around 13.7 on average with mixed driving. when i do >85% freeway driving at a constant rate averaging 70-75mph the cpu avg says 18-19 mpg with actual closer to 15. i sometimes regret getting the supercharger [now] because of the 3+mpg loss and the fact that i have to use super unleaded gas because of the higher compression/forced induction. when i got it installed gas was a whopping 1.85 a gallon. anyone else with any mods?
  • albuquerquealbuquerque Member Posts: 1
    My 04 V8 4WD doesn't have any mods on it, but the computer has always been inaccurate at giving the correct fuel mileage. As a general rule it actually gets about 2 mpg less than what the computer is reading for actual mpg. On a trip this weekend it was a little closer, it was only about 1.6 mpg less than what the computer read.
  • duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    I get 16-17 city, 20-22 highway, unless I am really moving. 70-75 mph = about 19 mpg

My best was driving KC to DC, back seats down & cargo area full of moving boxes, plus 3 bicycles on a hitch rack, driving 60-65 mph when I got 24 mpg. That was at about 50K mile point.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I have a 2003 v8 4WD Limited. I also find that the computer is a couple mpg optimistic.
  • marcus88marcus88 Member Posts: 2
    Hey - I saw your question about mpg on your '96 4-Runner (I have a '95 and the mpg is even worse).

Did anybody reply to your question about how to improve it?

Marcus Peterson
    marcuspeterson65@aol.com
  • marcus88marcus88 Member Posts: 2
    If I'm getting sub10 mpg, am I likely to improve it into the teens with a tune-up? Granted, a tune-up is MUCH needed (and it'll get one) but is there any way to get up to what the others in here are getting??? Upper teens???
    city 16-17

hway 20-22

90K miles, 1 owner
  • newdavidqnewdavidq Member Posts: 146
    Getting about 18 suburban, 20 hiway. Computer is about 2mpg high. I drive conservatively and I could probably get 23 (+ -) at a steady 45 or 50 on the highway.
    At 70+ tho. aerodynamics take over and mileage takes a dive.
  • timmygregorytimmygregory Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 4runner and get pretty good mileage, 19-20 city and 22-24 hwy.
    thx tho
  • josephd05josephd05 Member Posts: 46
    16 city, and 20-22 mpg highway. Not bad for a V8. Driving habits are very important. With the V8, you rarely need to get over 3k rpms.
  • claymore1claymore1 Member Posts: 21
    I get very close to your mpg on my 2001 4Runner.
    I have been recording every fill up since I go it new.
    Living in LA with a daily 40 mile drive up and down PCH to Malibu...
    18 mpg is my average.
    14 mpg worse case (slow bumper to bumper freeway trips like to Temecula)
    23 mpg best case (free speedy drive down to Yuma)

Such a handy car/truck to lug around and haul items. It is a necessity, really. I just wish I could also have something like a Prius (but not so...uh...space-ship-looking)
  • 4runner74runner7 Member Posts: 1
    I'm seeing some pretty solid numbers from my 4runner....it averages 25 MPG day to day. I reset the MPG meter on a recent 120 mile trip down 1-71...and saw a solid steady 27.5 MPG for two hours at 65 MPH (cruise on).
    I also notice if I keep it at or below 60 MPH, I improve my city/hwy combined to 26.7.
    I've been fortunate because the MPG have averaged 23-25 since I drove it off the lot a year ago. I do drive it light, coast up to lights, and now tend to stay out of the left lane. I have also, like others, verified the MPG with the tank empty/full test.
    I'm happy, but someone needs to design or market an aftermarket hybrid /battery
    system so we can keep these machines for years to come.
    The mpg numbers on my 2002 had dropped by 2 mpg, and didn't get better after the 90K mile service, done at 88K miles. But it looks like I am back to the mpg I got when new once I hit 91K miles - I just got 24 mpg driving mostly highway, one day trip at 70 - 75 mph on I-95 south from Northern VA to South Carolina - with 20 minutes of heavy rain at 20 - 40 mph. The next tank with about 75% highway, 25% mixed, with much more idling with AC on, gave me 20mph. The next important issue with my 4Runner is... surfboard rack for the roof. God I love my 4Runner!
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    The gas mileage computer on my 2003 V8 4WD 4Runner is about 2 mpg optimistic. It shows about 19.5 mpg. The best way to accurately determine mileage is to fill the tank, reset the trip odometer, drive a few hundred miles, then refill the tank and divide miles driven by gallons used to refill the tank.

My most recent fillups have shown that I'm getting about 17.5 mpg in mixed city and highway driving, about 2 mpg less than the computer reading. I'm driving with a light foot, keeping highway speed about 60 mph, coasting to lights, turning off the engine while stopped at traffic lights, etc.
  • c5t4rc5t4r Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2WD V6 and just took a trip from Texas to California. I actually got 22.5 MPG REAL mileage (computer read 24.2) at one point. That's cruise control on about 75 MPH, good weather, no wind, no traffic (there seems less these days), and relatively flat traveling.

check out www.fueleconomy.gov

You can register and see what other owners are getting....we need some 4runner owners on there, because right now there are only 2 of us sharing info.
  • heyboerheyboer Member Posts: 6
    Hello. Just pick up a 2004 Limited with V8. Is premium fuel needed?
  • c5t4rc5t4r Member Posts: 13
    go with your owners manual recommendation - in my experience with Toyota vehicles you can't go wrong with that. no need for premium, they run great on regular.
  • chilisquidchilisquid Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 4runner, V8, 4WD

I used to get 20 highway, 16 city. That was in the USA.

My vehicle is now in Thailand, I am working here. I do plenty of highway traveling (2 hour drives at 70+mph) It seems that my computer never reads more than 16.6mpg. what gives ? I have tires inflated to 35psi. I have always kept up with maintenance.

It seems that I first started noticing the lower MPG after I tried a couple tanks of the gasohol that they sell here. Could it be that the gasohol caused a problem ? I switched back to gasoline (95 octane) and I am still getting only 16.6. seems my computer is stuck on this number. most of my driving is highway.

any ideas what I can do to improve MPG ? I always used to get 20+ highway in the states. once I hit 24. Could it be that the gasohol caused problems with the computer ?

Gas here is 39 baht per liter. I have an 80 liter tank. 33.40 baht to the dollar. thats $100 a tank.

:confuse:
  • rasmaxwellrasmaxwell Member Posts: 6
    Based upon miles driven divided by gallons used over 7500 miles, I am getting a consistent 18-19 mpg in suburban driving and 21-22 mpg in highway driving on Ohio roads. I drive at 0 to +5 mph over interstate speeds. My driving is 90% in 2 wheel mode. If you run in 4 wheel mode on the highway, you will get about 1 mpg less. Best was 25 mpg on a 100 mile highway trip with a tail wind. The onboard trip computer is consistently 1.5-2.0 mpg optimistic, so do the math yourself. Runs very well on any major brand of regular gas.
  • newdavidqnewdavidq Member Posts: 146
    Getting almost identical numbers as rasmaxwell including computer being about 2
    mpg optimistic. I run regular 87 octane gas, but have experimented with 89 octane and seem to have gotten a mile or two better mileage although obviously not under controlled conditions. I think if I really tried and drove like a hyper miler never going over 50 mph etc I could get 23 or 24 real mpg.
  • chilisquidchilisquid Member Posts: 2
    turns out I needed to reset my computer. Once I did that, and kept it at 70mph or lower, my computer read 20-21 mpg on the highway.

:D
  • snobound7snobound7 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any advice on what I can do for my poor 4Runner?
    :lemon:
    I just bought it used a two weeks ago and right from the start I noticed it using a lot of gas. I was encouraged to test it and told that they really do not do too badly so not to worry. Well after driving it for about 1,000 miles I have verified that it gets between 10.2 - 14.4 MPG and that is taking it easy, keeping it around 65 on the open road.

I have gone back to the Toyota dealer I bought it at and ask for some 'warrenty' work to be done to bring it up to better MPG. They told me that all checks fine on the computer - no error codes and I owe them for the bill. The 'warrenty' apparently only covers MAJOR items.

Also, does anyone have trouble with the 4-wheel drive not engaging at very cold temps such as I do here on the mountain (-15 degrees). It takes a full 2 to 5 minutes before it clunks into 4 wheel drive. I have tried driving slowly (15-20 MPH or stopping and shifting to Neutral then pausing and shifting to Drive or stopping and trying reverse, then neutral and drive. It just blinks and appears 'stuck' in limbo - not in or out of 4 wheel drive. Since the 4wheel drive worked when they looked at it; no repair work will be done.

When I talked to the dealer they told me that I should have bought a Lexus and that I have a 2nd rate vehicle - what did I expect for buying a 2nd rate car. (*!#!*&%)

The 4Runner has 120,000 miles on it and the dealer tells me now that it is worn out and I had better buy a new car at once. It looks just like new; I hate car sales BS especially when the dealer does not stand behind their sale 2 weeks later. (This is supposed to be a reputable dealer - lot of my family and friends have bought cars there with nothing but glowing reports...)

The 4Runner ran quiet at first, now it creaks and groans and sounds like it aged 10 years in a week. Still however it looks like showroom new. Is this just the nature of the beast; creaky, clunky, and all the rest? I hope not. They must have sprayed 10W40 in all the joints...

I have the V6 engine and it is a 2002 model. :

Thanks for your help.
    :lemon:
    Frustrated in Northern PA
  • quarksterquarkster Member Posts: 13
    I purchased a 2000 SR-5 4WD new in Sept '00, and have recorded fuel consumption for every tank of fuel used. Truck now has ~145K miles, and has "stock" size 265-70R16 tires. Long-term average is 18.7 MPG in mixed city-freeway driving. I frequently see 23 MPG on long freeway trips. Note that this truck is equipped with the locking differential, which has 4.30:1 gearing, considerably lower than the "standard" 4.10:1 gear ratio. Consumption is calculated by odometer miles traveled/fuel used. Worst mileage ever seen was around 16 MPG ( I keep the tires pretty hard at 35 PSI.)

I drive "conservatively", rarely exceeding 70 MPH. Got 86K miles out of the original Goodyear tires, and got ~120K miles out of the front brake pads. All in all, by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. At 145K miles, total unscheduled maintenance has been two brake light bulbs ($4), one nylon gear rack for the power antenna ($27), and a blower speed resistor for the HVAC blower ($24).

Smog test results have slowly improved over the years; the most recent test had the lowest emissions of all tests performed so far (every two years in CA). Oil is Mobil-1 10-30, changed at 5K miles. Vehicle is completely rattle and squeak-free despite frequent 4-wheeling in CA desert areas.

I intend to keep this truck for 300K+ miles.
  • lewma68lewma68 Member Posts: 2
    I have the 2007 v-8 4wd 4runner and I have been using midgrade gase 89 octane the car is getting better mileage as well, I think next fill up I will try premium just to compare
  • lewma68lewma68 Member Posts: 2
    I have the 2007 V8 4WD 4RUNNER that i bought dirt cheap with only 16,000 miles on it. I bought it just as everyone was in a panic about the price of gas. I also own a 2005 BMW 325ci, if there are any negatives about the 4runner I have not encountered one yet, I absolutely love it, I am looking to purchase a pop up trailer and have read many positive remarks regarding its towing capacity. I have not yet used the 4WD, but it is nice to know that I have it. I have probably only driven my BMW a handful of times since I have owned the 4runner.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    I was able to get 18MPG in the 1st tank from a dealer's low 6.7MPG when I took possesion of it. Now on my 2nd tank (around 400 miles in ODO) and computer AVG shows an amazing 22MPG mixed C/H miles. Wow, what an amazing vehicle, great job Toyota, you did it again!!!
    I got 22.1MPG (computer AVG) and 22.533MPG manually calculated AVG in mixed driving C/H in 2nd tank of gas and 705 miles in ODO... very impressive for a 4805 lbs vehicle!
  • papychuntypapychunty Member Posts: 1
    quarkster, what kind of MPG are you getting nowadays on your 2000 4Runner?

I'm thinking about buying a 1999-2001 and want to know if they still get close to original MPGs when new.

Also, thinking about spending a little more to get a 2003+ as it has 5-speed Auto Transmission.
    I got 23.3MPG (computer AVG) and 22.642MPG manually calculated AVG in mixed driving C/H for the 3rd tank of gas for 440.2 miles and in a different gas station.
    I just drove 325 highway miles (90%) on a full tank of gas and going away from home without cruise control I averaged over 24MPG (computer calculated) and here is the big surprise coming back home and using cruise control set most of the time between 56-58mph I got an amazing over 26MPG (26.4MPG to be precise computer calculated)... Wooow, what an amazing beastly vehicle the new 2010 4Runner Limited 4WD is... Thank you Toyota, you have done again an amazing job!!!
  • pjc1pjc1 Member Posts: 72
    my last 3,000 miles saw about 60/40 highway/city and I am averaging 18.9mpg. I tend to be a bit heavier than average on the pedal.
    I see... try to be gentle in the pedal since the 2010 4Runner has more than enough torque to handle mostly all driving conditions, truly, I was not expecting to achieve more than 25MPG when using the cruise control, but I was proven wrong, when I tried it and noticed I was driving about 1500-1850rpm especially in the highway... what an amazing vehicle this 2010 4Runner is :)
    441.1 miles (90% highway) with 25.43MPG manually calculated and 25.6MPG computer calculated. Wow, it is nice to know you can drive over 500 miles on a single tank of gas.
    Wow, 27.1MPG (computer calculated) and 26.69MPG (manually calculated) it is unheard but true, as I did it driving 98% highway miles and cruise control set at 55mph... great job Toyota, what an awesome vehicle!
    Has anybody achieved better than 27.2MPG AVG computer calculated in a 2010 4Runner?
  • pjc1pjc1 Member Posts: 72
    "Has anybody achieved better than 27.2MPG AVG computer calculated in a 2010 4Runner?"

with my V6 certinly not.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    Toyota are very gas friendly car... I have 2006 Camry le V6. 90 % freeway.. I average 28.8 mpg. but the other car I have 2010 pilot 4wd, average 20 mpg.. Hopefully it will get better...
  • quarksterquarkster Member Posts: 13
    papychunty -

With 145,000+ miles now on the odo, I am still getting the same fuel economy numbers I got once the driveline was fully broken in at around 20k miles. I have kept track of the mileage of every tank of gas since new, and the long-term average since new is about 18.7 MPG, on a 4WD version with the lower-than-standard (4.30:1) rear axle ratio that comes only with electric locking differential.The worst mileage i ever obtained was 15.78 mpg, and the best was 24.28 mpg. Tires are stock size 265-70R16, fairly hard at 35 PSI. So far, the only "failures" have been the plastic gear rack in the automatic antenna ($28 part cost + 1/2 hr to install), the HVAC blower resistor ($22 + 10 minutes to install), and 4 or 5 tail-light bulbs. Truly the best vehicle I've ever owned. Completely leak-free and uses zero oil (Mobil 1 10W-30) between 6K mile oil changes. The 2003 Gen-4 is a completely different vehicle from end to end. For 4WD use, I'd prefer a pristine, well-cared-for 1999 or 2000 Gen-3, before the electronic traction control system was introduced in 2001. The 3.4L V6 is looking to become another example of extraordinary Toyota engine reliability, with many examples going more than 300K miles without major service. I'm not sure how the long-term reliability of the later 4.0L V6 compares with the 3.4L engine. Regarding the 2003 model, as a general rule I'd never buy the first model year of a new model, even with a Toyota. There will always weaknesses uncovered that are corrected in the first two years of production, as well as detail improvements.
  • g0lferg0lfer Member Posts: 14
    I live in Colorado and have a 2009 V8 4wd. I have two questions on saving gas:
    1. Being at 5500ft elevation, is it ok to use 85 octane gas and will I get similar gas mileage/performance?
    2. Will shifting into neutral while coasting down hills then back into drive at about 40 mph harm the transmission over time?
    Thanks in advance. I realize this may been addressed in other posts but I could not find it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2010
    85 should be fine at your elevation.

Shifting to neutral going downhill will burn more gas than leaving it in gear (not to mention that it can be dangerous and is illegal in most states).

Counterintuitive, but if you leave it in gear and take your foot off the gas, the fuel will shut off and the turning of the wheels will keep the engine running. If you put it in neutral, the fuel won't shut off and you'll waste gas keeping the engine idling.
  • g0lferg0lfer Member Posts: 14
    I appreciate the reply. Counterintuitive is right. Especially when you see the RPMs drop quickly and are less than when in gear.
    Would you address the potential engine damage question? Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2010
    People in the mountains have been running 85 instead of 87 octane for decades without issues, so I don't know why your 4Runner couldn't manage. The gas cap says to use regular unleaded I assume? The engine controls will compensate.

There may be a blurb about it in your manual too.

If premium is recommended you may get better mileage with a higher octane, but not if the engine is tuned for regular.

Hopefully an owner will pop in here with the real scoop before I stick my foot too far into it. ;)
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    It is depend on the brand of the gas.. if you are using 85, make sure it is from top tier gas retailers.

from my experience, when I coasting down hills from 8000 ft - 4500 ft ), I shift it to 3rd gear. ( so thats way I don't use my brake).
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    Concerning braking with the engine, I have always been told that it is easier to replace brake pads than transmissions. Has the thinking changed about this?
This discussion has been closed.