Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Put the car seats in the 3rd row? As the guys on the Guinness commercial would say - Brilliant! Never thought of that. Of course that would make it harder to get the kids in and out because you'd have to climb in the back but it would work.

Best thing to do is take the car seats with you and try them on every vehicle.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Hi pib3

I'm throwing in with nv on this one. See, a guy who works for my wife, that'd be me!, has a teenager and 2 girls in car seats. Yikes. We went to buy an Aviator (Mountaineer twin). Brought the car seats with us and found that there just was no way to carry the 5 of us and any gear at all. Drove a Navigator and realized that was the ticket for us. A year later we're still quite pleased with it.

Now, I'm speaking about the 2003 and later model years here cause that's what I've got. They're so much nicer, especially inside, that I'd recommend going the extra few $grand over an older one. If u can. And look for one that has the bench 2nd row - not the 2 buckets. In the bench, you could place 3 car seats side by side no problem. In addition, the bench is divided into 3 separate seats which fold down separately and the middle seat is on a track, so it can slide forward. That's the seat I think is best for the little one. You can slide the seat forward so the baby is right there - practically in the front seat with you.

If u do want to put one or more in the 3rd row, it's pretty easy to fold a 2nd row seat forward to get to the third. ANd it's a big 3rd row, but I'm pretty positive you would not be able to get 3 car seats in it. For my money, 3 across in the 2nd row leaves the rear area free for lots of gear, shopping trips, vacation etc. That's the way we do it anyway.

Good luck. Oh, wait, as for the 4WD vs minivan AWD, there's no contest. The Navigator's 4WD system is far better. It has real Jeep-like 4WD Hi and Lo if u ever get really stuck. AND, it has AWD as well. Best of both worlds. We flip from 2WD to AWD in rain or worse. 4WD if bad snow etc. The difference is, you should not leave it in 4WD in dry conditions, but AWD is OK for any conditions.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    What a difference that new power train makes! The new 3V engine mated to the 6 speed transmission gives the truck a whole new personality with a lot of quick throttle tip in off the line and smooth response through the whole acceleration power band. Big improvement. Nice job. Makes me want to throw rocks at me 03 now. Sad, I was quite content with mine prior. Now I'm hungry....
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Yes the transmission does make quite a difference, as well as the better breathing habits of the 3V configuration.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Not only did we hammer your fonts, but we've made you title your posts.

More progress :-)

Steve, Host
    Whatever it is, the difference is awesome, and very noticeable. Makes the truck feel like it's 50 horses stronger...
    Quicker, more efficient, softer, snappier, without the need to increase engine power. Competition might have more horses, but the transmission makes up for it.
  • joey2005navjoey2005nav Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know where to buy a new or used 2nd row console (dealership says only sell it in pieces/parts)? We purchased 2005 Nav with beige bench seat due to stock limitations but actually preferred the middle console.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    eBay, craigslist.org, and your local auto salvage yard comes to mind for used ones, but they are likely to be scarce. Maybe email another dealer too.

Steve, Host
  • firstnavfirstnav Member Posts: 21
    Hi all,
    A newbie here. I just ordered an '05 Navigator with the power liftgate. I didn't think to check on the max height on an open liftgate to see if it could be opened in my garage. Anyone have any info? I know the body max's out at just under 78". I've got about 3" clearance on the garage door frame and it opens up a bit inside.

Thanks for your help.
    Doubtful if the garage door is open. My Expedition would hit the door and the replacement Aviator just barely clears it.
    The door will open to about 81 inches, and won't clear my door, though the truck does. I have to pull in just a little further to open the power door completely. Adjustments sometimes have to be made:)
    Standard garage door openings in the industry come at 7', 8' in height. I've even seen 9's on some custom built homes, to house larger vehicles/boats.
    Love your titles, ANT :) Go to bed now......
    Thanks guys for your responses. The door opening is 81" but the door itself opens to about 83". It's going to be close, but I think I can live with it if it doesn't. I may get a little grief from the wife, but like nybanker says, adjust.

To add a question, If you disable the liftgate at the message center, can the liftgate be operated manually? I can't get a clear feel from the online owner's manual.

One week down and 5 to 7 to go.
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    What date did you order your Nav? I ordered mine on 1/7/05 - dealer said it should be here end of this week (3/4). I am worried less about the tailgate opening up in the garage (I have 10 ft ceilings in the garage) - but you have to make sure it clears the rail for the electric door opener. I am more concerned about my wife remembering to fold the side mirrors in each time she goes in the garage - with the mirrors extended, it's a tight fit! I believe the garage is 96" wide - and with mirrors extended the Nav is 93" wide - thats only an 1 1/2 inches on each side!!! I better start pricing mirrors now. I assume you got the Ultimate model also - did you load it up w/Navigation, DVD, etc.??
    I just ordered last Monday. I hope yours comes thru for you this week. I really need to have mine by the end of April. We're planning on a vacation trip then. I ordered the Ultimate with a DVD. I played with one with the power running boards and they just got in the way (I'm 6'2") so I didn't opt for them. And I just couldn't justify the 3K for the navigation system (just the Scottish in me I guess).

I don't think I'll have much problem with my wife driving ours. I have an older Dakota pickup and she won't drive it. She's perfectly satisfied driving her Outback. I'm more concerned with pulling it in the garage myself. I'm so used to just cruising in with my truck. See if you can find any discounts on those mirrors.

I really hope I don't run into trouble with the liftgate. I just don't relish unloading the back with the truck's back-end sticking out of the garage.

Good luck with your new truck. Hope it gets there soon.
    "If you disable the liftgate at the message center, can the liftgate be operated manually?"

Well, firstnav, if you CAN disable the liftgate at the message center (I didn't know you COULD do that), you can operate the liftgate manually, yes. But don't worry about it, I've abused the hell out of my power liftgate, it adjusts and resets quite easily. I can get you out of most every mess you can create with it. If it bumps up against your door, it will not damage anything, it will just quit and go into manual mode. You'll have to shut it manually and it shoudl reset itself. If it won't reset itself with a few cycles of manual opening and closing, you power down the truck at the battery, and that will reset the thing completely.
  • kourykoury Member Posts: 225
    My wife smashed the mirror in the garage about a month ago - cost close to $500 to repair.
    I didnt order the power running boards either - although I think it looks much cleaner with them.
    Having a 2 year old with another on the way, I needed the 40/20/40 rear bench seat and you cant get the power boards with the bench. (at least you cant on 4x4 models). I did get every other option tho - DVD, Nav system, Xenon lights, Trailer towing pkg, bench seat, and Tri-coat paint. Lincoln's navigation system is actually much more intuitive than the one I have in my STS.
    I only wish it had the capability to view DVD's on it's screen like GM's does (only with the tranny in Park).
  • vssvss Member Posts: 4
    Hello, i just purchased an 05 Nav ultimate 4x4 this weekend, with dvd/nav/40/20/40 split, black monotone with grey interior and traded in my lexus gx470. i paid 15k on top of the trade in, and it was mine with a full tank of gas. So far love it, it's huge, quiet, powerful but i have to get used to the gas mileage. Anyone have any secrets on the navigation voice commands etc?
    thanks
    Congrats on the new Ultimate!! I cant wait - only a few more days! Glad to hear of someone trading in a Toyota for a American car!!! To tell you the truth, I have never used the voice commands on our Aviator w/Nav - I guess I didnt have the patience to read the owners manual. I couldnt decide on whether I wanted the monotone - I guess I depends on the color. I really liked it with the black exterior, but the wife wanted Cashmere and it looked kind of dull w/o the chrome - imo. That truck must look baaaad in black/monotone!! Good luck!
  • chris15chris15 Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2004 Navigator last March. I had the remote start installed by the dealer and it's covered under the factory warranty. When I went to pick up the vehicle, it didn't start. Have had nothing but electrical problems with it since. It was felt that the remote start may not have been compatible with the power running boards. Ongoing electrical problems continue, including: power running boards not coming out at times or not going in other times. Static coming through the speakers, even with radio OFF at times (go figure!!) There have been other electrical problems but those occur more often than the others. Of course they are intermittent and difficult to duplicate when brought into the dealers. I have gotten into the habit of carrying a camera in my nav and recording it that way. I have filed with the Ford Dispute Settlement Board and am currently waiting for my day in "court." Any suggestions???? The nav is a beautiful vehicle and I want to love it and brag about it but the ongoing intermittent electrical problems have me in fear of my airbags deploying when I'm driving! I never know whats going to happen next. Anyone with similar problems or any suggestions for me to prepare for my hearing?? Thanks for any help you can share
  • vssvss Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if the DVD player in the Lincoln Nav 05 plays mp3 audio as well? I thought I read that it was compatible?t
    thanks
    Thanks, nvbanker. That info is good to know. If it looks like the liftgate will just touch the door, I'll strap a little foam to the door. If the liftgate is really too high, I'll just hang it up and open it outside. BTW, on pages 168-169 of the Navigator owner's manual, it indicates that you can disable the power liftgate.
    Thanks koury for the info. $500 will buy a lot of Makers Mark. I bet she'll be a little more careful now. I just cruise in with my Dakota now, but I'll take it easy with the new truck.
    I ordered the 2nd row bench as well. I have a 120 lb. white shepherd and she loves to travel. We'll be taking her with us down south in May and now she'll have plenty of room. It was a bit tight for her in the Outback. One of the reasons I bought the Navigator was because my wife "won't take that trip again in that sardine can". Don't get me wrong, the Outback is a great car, but it was really cramped when we loaded it up. I also bought the 4x2 version. I couldn't see driving it in the snow when I have a Subaru and Dakota 4x4. It will stay in the garage.

Let us know when it's delivered.
    Ah.....RTFM - if only I could get into reading the friggin manual, I could learn a lot, couldn't I? I just recently learned the stereo had speed sensitive volume! After 3 years.....sad.....
    You never noticed that as you slammed the gas, the radio would creap up a bit? On some vehicle, you can adjust how "sensitive" that feature is. I'm currently in a 05 Mustang GT where it's QUITE obvious everytime I press the accelerator.
    Well, actually, I've been obsessing about my truck (only 5-7 weeks to go) and started to read the manual online. Hey, it's better then watching TV and I've already read the latest WEB Griffin book. Let me guess. RTFM. You must be an It pro. I've been using that for years. It's not important what you know, just where to find out. :) So, the stereo has speed sensitive volume? Gotta go. More manual to read.
    Well, er, no, ANT, see, mine was turned to 0, so no, I didn't notice it.
    But now, it's turned to 1, so yes, I barely notice it, because it's just right! :)
    The max (depending on the system) could be from 3-5. Although reseted to 0 at the factory. I find 2-3 to be enough (depending on the vehicle). I redid the sound proofing on my LS to be even more effective, therefore it's irrelevant in my case. I did have a friends daughter (in the new Mustang) notice that as were driving. She was testing the system and talking louder, and even yelling to see if that had an effect on the radio's sound adjusting. Nothing a good back handed whack didn't cure actually.

The sensors are placed in the firewall/dashboard sections depending upon the vehicle.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    ANT:

Please tell how you redid the LS soundproofing to be more effective?

Thanks
    According to the '05 brochure, the rear entertainment system plays dvd and cd/mp3.
    The Navigator will set up to 7. I tried 3. Bout blew my sunroof out the ceiling like an overpressurized 50 year old 737 landing in Honolulu. So I turned it down to 2. Still too loud. Down to 1, ahhhhhhh, just perfect. Nice quiet cabin, needs just a little boost with the windows up. Now, if the control headgear would just quit setting the CD back to CD#1 randomly when I start the truck, it would be perfect, but you know, you can't have everything, and I'm going to give up and be happy. This is my 4th stereo, and I've figured out, you don't get a new one when you get a replacement, you get someone else's old one that some moron in China bench tested OK, cause he couldn't demonstrate anything wrong with it, and this one at least doesn't drain my battery in my truck. I'm happy :)
  • mongo1mongo1 Member Posts: 49
    Greetings NV, may this find you well. Regarding your CD player, my Aviator with the Audiophile does the same thing. After playing around with it, I've noticed it only goes into Initialization mode when I am playing home recorded CD's or a CD older than 10 years. After the sidelight episode, nothing about the electrics in these vehicles surprises me. However, I think in this case, it is a matter of the format of the CD. I think if the format of the CD is of a certain type, it makes the computer "run home to mommy" if it doesn't immediately recognize it. I must say, as nice as this system is, it is not to par with the system I had in my old S-90. Hope this helps.
    That may be the key, mongo..... I do have a couple er...."substandard" CD's in there currently, and that could be the problem. Thanks for the tip. Will check it out.
    Anybody heard anything about Navigator being builtout? My salesman says Lincoln won't build my truck even though we got an order #. They say they're not building anymore for '05.
    My mistake. Navigator is not in buildout. My dealer has met their allocation and cannot order any more. Trying to get an exception to process the order. I understand why dealerships are given allocations, so large dealers don't gobble up all the units. But it seems strange that Lincoln would turn down a sale. I don't get it.
    I agree with you. So do you have to go to a different dealer to try to get the truck you want? Or do it off the net or what?
    Just waiting to hear from the salesman. Then I'll have to check my options (no pun intended).
    A heads up - just prepare to wait a while for a special-order Nav. I ordered mine 1/7 - was told by Lincoln it came off assembly line 2/21 - still at "released from plant" status, awaiting shipping by rail to Boston. It was supposed to be at dealer 2/28. A week and a half late not so bad, but dealer said he asked his zone manager to look into it since he had another sold order Nav and a Mark LT pickup promised same day - and received same answer - "released from plant awaiting shipping". Too bad I didnt live closer to Michigan - maybe I could have driven it home!!
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I just read the latest Consumer reports car issue and they report that the Navigator was tied with the Nissan Quest as having the WORST reliability rating of any car or truck with 49 problems reported per 100 vehicles. (Page 17 of the April 2005 Issue).

Having owned 2 Navigators (2000 and 2003 model years) I did have my share of issues with the vehicles but I didn't think they would rate THAT poorly.

I'm beginning to wonder if these reliability reports are accurate. I find it hard to believe that according to Consumer Reports, Ford makes the MOST reliable vehicle out there (2004 Mustang with 5 problems per 100) and the LEAST reliable vehicle as well (the Navi).

It just doesn't make sense......
    Part of the problem is having dealers that don't fix the problem the first time causing multiple visits. They also don't count unique problems so one problem that affects all vehicles counts more than a problem that only affects a small percentage.

Take it with a grain of salt.
  • steve00gatorsteve00gator Member Posts: 24
    I too have had two Navigators, 2000 and 2003, and as much as I love them I would have to admit that Consumer Reports is correct. If it were not for a great dealer I would probable be real upset. I'm sure a number of the problems have resulted from their desire to add features that most vehicles don't have. Tilting mirrors for backup come to mind.
    Hey nvbanker. You won't believe what happened today. My dealer called and asked if I would take a black instead of a white. Since black was my choice (mom wanted white), I said that would be fine. A black was transferred from another dealer today and I'll pick it up tomorrow. I got everything I wanted plus a couple of extras at no extra cost. Talking about your highs and lows. I feel like I've been on a roller coaster this past week. But all's well, etc.
    I just checked Consumer Reports online and tried to find info on the '05 Nav. I couldn't find any empirical data on any tests run. The only info I found was 'projected' reliability. Let's see: 'I project that a Lexus rx470 will be returned for a problem this year.' Wow, does anyone want to subscribe to my newsletter. Only $25/yr. Seriously though, I've used CR's reports to purchase numerous items, and some were great and some were a waste of money. I don't rely on there ratings all that much anymore. JMHO
    I think of it this way, on vehicles that do not sell in mass quantities, if only 5 people turn in a survey, and 3 had problems, obviously it'll give data showing that it has astrocious reliability. Which is why I prefer JDPower methods moreover.

I've seen numerous issues with past information that CR has published, and some of the biasness are downright obvious.

I say it's just one example of what's out there, of the many other research data people can access. A wise decision takes thorough research.
    Well, I three have had 2 Navigators, and I have to say CR (as usual) is full of Barbra Streisand. My 99 Navigator had exactly 1 problem per 1 car in 5 years. My 03 Navigator has not done nearly as well, but 49 problems? Not in 100 cars, no way. It's the first year out for a totally redesigned model, and the important stuff, the moving parts have been perfect. The gizmos, some of them, have given me some issues. Would I buy a third one? Very likely will when the lease is up. Drove an LX-470 this week for comparison. Like it a lot. But the 3rd seat is a joke, and it's missing a lot of features still, one of which is an engine with some grunt. The Navigator is still the king IMHO.
  • njbaran99njbaran99 Member Posts: 69
    Well, this past weekend I bought an 05' Navi Ultimate loaded with everything. But I got the 2nd Row 40/20/40 as we have 3 little ones and did not want to be forced to put one of the boys in the back seat for every trip, so no deployable Running Boards.

With ~300 Miles, MPG as calculated by the On Board Computer is 9.8 MPG. Pretty scary with the forecast for High Gas Prices.

Had anyone experience lower MPG at first and then have it increase over time as the engine breaks in. as I heard from someone else, what kinda of MPG do you expect from a 6,000 SUV Shaped Like a brick.

I have loaded the car up with Aftermarkets, so I better plan to keep it. Protection Pkg, Remote Start, Extended Warranty, Extended Maintenance, Door Ding Warranty Policy, Daytime Running Lamps (I have HID so this will be on the High Beams) Clear Bra, All-Weather Floor Mats, Cargo Tray, Cargo Organizer, Mud Flaps and Plan to get Rear View Camera with DVD to display (w. Camera on the front Nav Unit. This aftermarket exceed $6K Wow!

I got Black with Dove Gray, looks nice, but gonna be heck to keep clean.

Some idiot through a Huge Snowball Spit-Ball at my 3-day old Navi and pitted the paint on the front quarter by the like maybe 2" diameter. Oh well, so much for a Perfect Car.

If anyone has any questions, send them along. FYI, got the $64K MSRP NAVI for ~$52K with all Incentives and I was eligible for X-Plan Pricing.

Interested in getting more experience on the Navi, as this board is a little slow.