Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    233 (or 242) HP a somewhat amusing thought. In an Impala you don't want to do that without wearing your kidney belt. ;)
    Thought the SAE change happened to effect ythe 06 and subsequent models - for example, my 05 Avalon rated at 280hp 'losing' 12 hp as an 06 model.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    I just finished 750 miles of interstate driving in my 07 Avalon. The gas mileage was 31 + MPG at 75 MPH, air conditioning on all the way. I was passed by an assortment of vehicles that probably had more horsepower, but probably by none that were getting better gas mileage at the same level of comfortable traveling.

I know that my Avalon probably doesn't fit all the criterion for "touring sedan", but as a "road car", it's certainly hard to beat!
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Tires have a dramatic effect on the ride of an Impala. I have an '06 Impala with the 3.5L, 211HP V6. The ride with the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires was terrible. Last month, after 26,000 miles on the G/Y's, I got rid of them and had General Altimax RT touring tires installed. The ride is now smooth, quiet, and very controlled. Exponentially better than what the G/Y's did on the car. The crashing sensation over bumps has been dramatically softened.

It is a shame that automakers install the cheapest name brand tires they can get for new cars. If they would allocate (and charge customers), for better tires from the get-go they may actually earn more business. I would gladly pay $200 more for a new car if it meant getting premium tires (instead of having to replace poor OEM tires early for $400-$600 more after only two years of ownership).
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Trust me, they (maufacturers) don't always install the cheap tires on there. Replacement tires on my 4-cylinder Accord are $800 to get what I had (V-Rated Michelins). They're fine tires, but I won't be replacing them with the same kind!

I put Integrity tires on my old '96 Accord and hated them. They were replaced with Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires and I love em, and are what I will put on my newer Accord when these expensive Michelins give up.

My folks are on-again off-again about getting a full-size car. My dad actually dislikes the Taurus but likes the looks of the Impala. I keep suggesting he drive a Mercury Sable, since the only thing he doesn't like about the Taurus is the look (he hates the chromey grill).
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Is your dad a Detroit-only guy?
    Nope, actually he's nearly been a Honda-only guy all his life. In this case, mom and dad want something comfortable for highway trips, but don't want to break the bank (under $20k would be preferable). The Impala and Taurus/Sable meet that requirement.

I don't pretend to understand my folks. Just a month ago they were almost ready to buy a Nissan Versa SL. Now they're back on the big-car bandwagon.

I dunno!! :confuse: :P
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    Sounds just like my parents Grad. In one week they looked at the Accord, Camry, Impala, Highlander, and Fusion. Then the next week they were buying a hybrid. Then it was a RAV4 and the Edge. Brutal! I told them they would end up replacing the 05 Highlander with a Camry.... guess who was right! (I wanted them to splurge a little and go for an Avalon, but that didn't happen)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I just talked to them after their Impala test drive. They said they liked the car with the exception of the pitiful lack of decent cupholders. One big one, one little one, and that was it. The deal breaker was, well, the deal. The dealer offered $22,000 out the door on a cloth-equipped LT model (MSRP around $23,400), and that's after the rebate. My folks didn't bite, and have moved across the highway to the Ford dealer, and the salesman was bringing the only Taurus in stock around to the front for them to drive when I hung up. I'll let ya know. ;)

It's kinda funny to me to watch this progress.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Cars are very individualistic purchases, but have they tried a Camry XLE with V6? I had a 2003 and it was a great car. I now have an Azera because it has more bells and whistles and I just don't like the interior or exterior styling of the Camry or Avalon. I would recommend the Azera, but sounds like Hyundai may be a stretch for them. Also, there is the wallowing problem.
    Good luck to them.
    My folks really don't like the Camry, and feel it took a nosedive with the latest redesign.

The Camry is a stretch for them as well on price, when considering an XLE V6.

I just hung up with them, they really liked the Taurus, and will be going back to talk prices later in the week. They had a few program cars, with less than 15,000 miles, with leather, dual climate control, moonroof, etc. for $17k, and this could be the route they go. They will price new ones, of course, but the Taurus could be it.

Dad still dislikes the exterior, but liked the interior, and how it drove, and is willing to purchase this car, especially since the salesman (apparently a veteran Ford salesman of 31 years) was low-pressure, very friendly, and talked candidly with them; no games.

A big drawback against the Impala, they noticed, was the lack of interior space. Dad said it felt like his Civic in the back seat (a bad thing).

The Taurus was quiet, and solid, although their test car (with 13k miles) had a squeaking strut, which the dealer would fix before purchase, they said. That was his only concern. He liked all the bells and whistles, and said the car was plenty quick.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    So Grad, why don't Mom and Dad make like their son and get an Accord. A nice LX 4 banger with no sunroof is considered a large car by the EPA, would get better fuel economy than the Taurus, and could probably be had for around 20 large after wheeling and dealing.
    They feel the new Accord has gotten too big and too expensive. They've had many Accords in the past (90, 92, 93, 00, 01, 03, 05), but they really don't like the new one, after driving an EX-L 4-cyl. I was on that test drive, and I must admit, it doesn't feel like a step forward, just a step bigger. I love my Accord now all-the-more.

Besides, when comparing a 177hp basic Accord with a 263hp Taurus with some options, for similar money, the Taurus is the clear winner in bang for the buck; I'm reading a lot of owner reports talking about their highway economy; most are reporting 29-31 MPG. Since this will be a trip car, comfy, powerful, and well-equipped are important factors here.

Sure, the Accord has marginally better economy (3 MPG, according to the EPA), but it also has much less highway passing power (177hp and a 5-speed automatic versus 263hp and a 6 speed automatic).
    All good points. The Taurus also has a $2000 rebate or low-interest financing options right now as well. Let us know what they decide.
    Yep, 0.9% for 36 months. I'm not sure if they will go new or used here. Depends on the numbers that the dealer runs for them.
  • rotaryrotary Member Posts: 71
    Despite the bad rap Ford gets, the Taurus is a very solidly built, quiet, smooth vehicle.

Also, Ford has recently upped the horsepower, improved the interior materials considerably, and you'd be hard pressed to find a safer car (it shares its safety cage and chassis with the Volvo S80).

I actually think it's a classy and high end looking car, also. It reminds me of a Audi in the haunch and posture.

I have really high hopes for the Hyundai Genesis, because I like the interior and exterior of that car very much, and respect the decision to go with a rear wheel drive format. My nagging concern is whether Hyundai has been able to eliminate untoward suspension noise (as they seemed successful at doing in the Veracruz? I say this with a question mark because Consumer Reports says it's there, while MotorTrend says it's not).
    That is not a bad out-the-door price for an Impala. Figure if it was $23,400, and then they were getting the $2,000 rebate, the dealer was selling the car for somewhere around $20,500 (assuming an average sales tax rate of 7%).

If they are in a State with no sales tax, then I would agree it wasn't the best deal.

My parents have a 2007 Mercury Montego Premier and love it. My grandfather has a Ford 500 and likes it as well.
    I have also owned cars where the OEM tires would have been very expensive to replace. However, an expensive tire does not necessarily make for a good tire. Michelins are highly overrated and almost prohibitively expensive. The Michelin tires I have experienced were not very competent in the rain and were no quieter than other tires.

The Potenza G009 was a very popular tire. In fact, when my parents had their 2003 Impala LS, they replaced their G/Y Eagle GA's with G009's.

Bridgestone, however, has discontinued the Potenza G009 and replaced it with the Potenza G019 Grid.
    The Impala does have a very small backseat considering that it is a full-size car. Additionally, the rear bench is not the most comfortable for long trips.

I am 6ft5in tall, and no one can sit behind me in my Impala since I put the seat all the way back.

The Taurus, however, is the exact opposite. The driver's seat doesn't go back quite far enough for tall drivers, but the rear seat is extremely roomy.

My Grandfather is actually on his second Ford 500. The first had an incurable suspension noise/squeak. He traded it for a different manufacturer vehicle altogether. Then a couple of years later traded that for another 500 and has been pleased since.

If your parents are interested in the Taurus with the squeaky strut, I would suggest they have the dealer completely fix it before they ever sign any paperwork or hand over any money. The dealer will try much harder to properly fix it if it means a resulting sale as opposed to after the sale has taken place. That may sound preposterous, but I have seen things play out that way first hand.
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Member Posts: 1,165
    True, the Taurus is safer.
    The Taurus, in crash tests, gets 5 stars front, front side, and rear side.
    The four door Accord, even with side air bags, gets only 3 stars for the rear side impact. (2008 models - Taurus - Accord)
    I imagine the G019 Potenza has similar characteristics to the G009 (Hope so!).

The Michelins on my Accord are expensive because they are rated for high-speed (V-Rated). My Accord has a top speed of 130mph (a 4-cylinder!) according to Car and Driver and the tire is rated for that. My next tires will likely be H-rated (108 mph) and several hundred cheaper.
    If the Impala and Taurus were on equal footing vehicle-wise, the price would be ok. Considering what a Taurus goes for though, and how much better of a vehicle it is, the Impala is overpriced.
    If your parents are interested in the Taurus with the squeaky strut, I would suggest they have the dealer completely fix it before they ever sign any paperwork or hand over any money. The dealer will try much harder to properly fix it if it means a resulting sale as opposed to after the sale has taken place. That may sound preposterous, but I have seen things play out that way first hand.

The dealer was going to go ahead and have the car fixed, period. That particular car isn't necessarily the one they were interested in purchasing, it just happened to be handy for a test-drive. Don't worry, my father is nit-picky about rattles and noises, and he wouldn't buy a car that made noise like that. ;)
    The G019 looks to be an improvement over the original G009. It is still directional, however the tread pattern looks a bit more "refined".

Actually, H-rated is 130mph. V-rated is 149mph. You should be fine with an H-rated tire. Some tire dealers, however, are reluctant to install tires that have a speed rating less than what was originally installed on the car. It is a liability issue for them that they would rather just avoid.

My Impala came with S-rated (112mph), but I upgraded to T-rated (118mph) when I put the new tires on it. The V6 Impala is electronically limited to just over 100mph, so anything more than T-rated would be overkill.
    If the Impala and Taurus were on equal footing vehicle-wise, the price would be ok. Considering what a Taurus goes for though, and how much better of a vehicle it is, the Impala is overpriced.

When you put the Taurus SEL up against the Impala 2LT, they compare favorably. The Impala gives you standard some features that either are not available on the Taurus (OnStar), and others that are optional on Taurus (remote start and electronic stability/traction control). Add the remote start and the stability control to the Taurus, and the Taurus SEL stickers for $25.5K. The Impala 2LT stickers for $25K. The Taurus and the Impala have $2K rebates. Both cars have an invoice price around $23.5K. Most dealers will sell Impalas right around invoice, which puts you at $21.5K for the Impala. If the Ford dealer will sell around invoice, the price will also be $21.5K.

Both cars offer similar performance, similar options, similar safety, and similar fuel economy. The Taurus has the edge in rear seat room, the Impala has the edge in hip and shoulder room. Impala is flex fuel, so if you wanted to you could run E85. Between the two cars, it comes down to a virtual toss-up.
    Between the two cars, it comes down to a virtual toss-up.

Not even close... the Taurus is so much more car.. More advanced and powerful engine/trans, roomier interior and trunk, better fit and finish. The list goes on. Doesn't say much that the "flagship" sedan of both Ford and Chevy need to have 2K rebates to move them out the door does it?

The Impala has compact-car back-seat space, a lower-rent interior (the cupholders are a joke!), old-school 4-speed automatic, and only the gas-guzzling V8 engine matches the Taurus for acceleration. Try revving that Impala up? It's not pretty.

Coming from a Honda, my folks value a smooth engine and top-notch interior, and in this instance were looking for a car with decent economy an plenty of highway power. The Taurus beats the Impala on these aspects; the extra roominess and top safety ratings are a bonus.
  • notsofast2notsofast2 Member Posts: 7
    I am interested on thoughts on replacement tires. I replaced Michelins with Bridgestone Potenzas and found they were worn out in no time. Tires were rated 50k plus, and after two years and about 20,000 they needed to be replaced. Not really driven hard, although 9k was on two trips to Florida from Boston. Steady driving at 70 mph. Where are people finding success? Thanks
    Unfortunately, with the economy the way it is, car dealers are struggling to sell anything other than small econoboxes.

There is only a 30hp difference between the Taurus (263hp) and the Impala 2LT (3.9L V6, 233hp). The Taurus does 0-60 in 7.0 seconds, the Impala does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. 0.5 seconds is not noticeable in day-to-day driving. The 4-speed auto in the Impala may be old school, but it has been around a long time and is a very smooth and reliable piece. The GM 3.9L V6 is no less advanced than Ford's 3.5L V6, unless you believe that a DOHC engine is better than OHV. I have owned cars with DOHC and OHV engines and personally do not consider one any better than the other.

Neither car will win any fit and finish awards. The nod would probably go to the Taurus, but the Impala is also well built. We have both an '06 Impala and an '07 Montego (now the Sable) in the driveway, so I have been able to observe the cars long term. Both are holding up well.

From an interior room standpoint, the Taurus has more overall passenger volume 108 cubic inches versus 104.5 cubic inches, but much of that comes from the fact that the Taurus is 1.5 inches longer and has a wheelbase that is almost 2.5 inches longer. It is physically a bigger car than the Impala. The Impala is 1.50 inches narrower, but has more hip and shoulder room than the Taurus.

Taurus SEL Impala 2LT

Front Headroom (in.) 39.60 39.40
    Rear Headroom (in.) 38.80 37.80
    Front Legroom (in.) 43.10 42.30
    Rear Legroom (in.) 41.20 37.60
    Front Shoulder Room (in.) 57.80 58.70
    Rear Shoulder Room (in.) 57.60 58.60
    Front Hip Room (in.) 53.70 56.40
    Rear Hip Room (in.) 53.60 57.20
    The car is 1.5" longer, but with that inch or so of length comes an extra 4.4" of legroom, which is a HUGE deal to me and my family (I'm 6'5", dad is 6'3"ish). It also has a more voluminous trunk. Simply put, the Taurus makes a better use of space than the Impala does, as far as I'm concerned.

That extra room between the seats and the outside of the car in the Taurus probably helps it get 5 Stars all around, if I had to guess.
    The Impala has compact-car back-seat space
    True

, a lower-rent interior (the cupholders are a joke!)
    The interior is not that bad. It is attractive and durable. The Impala has an adjustable cupholder in the center console (on bucket seat models). You can swivel the cupholder center piece all the way into the console to make 1 large cubby. When you swivel the center piece back out, you can create two equal sized cupholders, or vary the sizes. In the back, on models with the fold down seat, the fold-out center armrest contains two cupholders.

, old-school 4-speed automatic
    The old-school 4-speed is tried and true, and the Impala will get 30mpg on the highway even with 2 less gears than the Taurus.

, and only the gas-guzzling V8 engine matches the Taurus for acceleration.
    The Taurus does 0-60 in 7.0 seconds. The Impala 2LT with the 3.9L V6 will do 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. Not a significant difference in real world driving. The Impala SS does 0-60 in 6.0 seconds, and is not as much of a gas guzzler as people think. Owners are regularly reporting 27-28mpg highway with their SS's when driven "sanely".

Try revving that Impala up? It's not pretty.
    My Impala has the 3.5L V6 and has more than enough power to light up the front tires at will. It is an eager and willing companion. It also sounds pretty good in the process. It's no V8, but it is certainly no slouch either.

Coming from a Honda, my folks value a smooth engine and top-notch interior, and in this instance were looking for a car with decent economy an plenty of highway power. The Taurus beats the Impala on these aspects; the extra roominess and top safety ratings are a bonus.
    Both the Taurus and the Impala are great highway cruisers and have more power than anyone will ever need. I wouldn't classify either of them as having a top-notch interior. Serviceable and attractive, yes. Durable, sure. Tons of hard plastic, oh yeah! The IIHS rates the Taurus "good" for front and side, they rate the Impala "acceptable" for front and "good" for side.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to which is more comfortable and which vehicle serves your needs better. There will always be people that will choose one vehicle over another for certain reasons. It could be price, comfort, features, or maybe even the style of the wheels or the color choices. :)
    Considering the Taurus is 1.50 wider than the Impala, yet has 1.0inch less shoulder room, 2.70 inches less front hip room, and 3.60 inches less rear hip room, I wouldn't say Ford is making the most of the available space.

I suspect a lot of it has to do with the interior door panels that Ford is using. Those built-in cupholders have to borrow room from somewhere ;)

Also, the Taurus has 41.30 inches of front leg room, not 43.10 as I listed earlier. Typo :) I am also 6'5" tall. Driving a Taurus, for me, is a very uncomfortable endeavor. Being a rear seat passenger, however, is very comfortable.
    The old-school 4-speed is tried and true, and the Impala will get 30mpg on the highway even with 2 less gears than the Taurus.

When a design is that dated, it SHOULD have all the bugs out of it. As of right now, I know of no reliability problems on the 6-speed Taurus. Plus, if top-gear isn't acceptable, the driver's right foot can call for a gentle 6-5 downshift; the Impala will drop from 4 to 3, making RPMs climb much higher, using more fuel. Also, the 4-speed won't be nearly as flexible in around-town cut-and-thrust driving. The 233hp Impala does make the same highway economy as the 263hp Taurus, and uses the MDS system to do so (nothing wrong with that). But, the advantage still goes to the Ford; more power, more flexible powertrain, equal economy.

My Impala has the 3.5L V6 and has more than enough power to light up the front tires at will. It is an eager and willing companion. It also sounds pretty good in the process. It's no V8, but it is certainly no slouch either.

No doubt that the power is perfectly adequate (I didn't mean that it wasn't). The sound that it makes is nowhere close to pleasing, unless you like coarseness, that is. Having been used to smooth to rev Honda engines, the Impala is a turnoff in that department, although the torque is certainly nice.

Where we both agree is that these are both good full-size sedans for the budget buyer. Where we disagree is that I feel the Impala feels a generation behind (probably because the guts of the car are a generation behind, I believe).

We shall agree to disagree, I suspect. ;)
    Ah, well, it still makes the Impala looks and feels as small as any midsize competitor, and doesn't measure up to full sizers. Being that they typically carry another couple with them (their best friends), they never have 3 across, so hip room wasn't even on the radar when looking.
    The 233hp Impala does make the same highway economy as the 263hp Taurus, and uses the MDS system to do so (nothing wrong with that).

Grad I agree with almost everything you have said in battle Taurus/Impala however there is something wrong with MDS. Having to resort to these type of "tricks" to get the FE up is something I just can't go for. These systems rarely work at speeds over 60 - 65 MPH and will cut out on the slightest of inclines. I know that the 30 HP difference isn't that much and the FE #s are the same but give me Ford's 3.5/6 speed ANY day over any the 3.5 or 3.9 4 speed in the Impala. I still cannot believe they are putting the 3.9 in the Lucerne. A feeble attempt to make that car competitive.

Unfortunately, with the economy the way it is, car dealers are struggling to sell anything other than small econoboxes.

True.. but the Domestics lead the way in terms of rebates.

Neither car will win any fit and finish awards. The nod would probably go to the Taurus, but the Impala is also well built.

The Impala is pretty well done considering the age of its platform and running gear. I have had much time (as rentals) behind the wheel of Impalas and never thought it was a bad car. I just hated the engine. Slow to rev and to use Grad's wording "coarse" .

Both are holding up well

Glad to hear that. No doubt Ford and GM are building better cars these days. Unfortunately, perceptions are hard to change.

• jg585jg585 Member Posts: 9
    I have been told Coopers are a good value. I have never used them
    I got 30,000 out of Goodyears on a Boneeville and a Camry. I used Continentals on my Lucerne. About the same range. All very smooth riding tires. I’d prefer to have a smooth, expensive and short ride than a long, cheap miserable one.
  • rotaryrotary Member Posts: 71
    Anyone have an opinion on the Taurus ('08 model year w/3.5 liter) versus Azera, especially in terms of refinement, comfort, quietness?

Thanks.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    If you go back in this discussion you will find that hundreds or maybe thousands of posts address your question.
    you will find that hundreds or maybe thousands of posts address your question.

Very true.... however IMO in a nutshell the cars are very similar, can be had for around the same $$ OTD so it really comes down to personal preference. The Taurus has a marginally better ride/suspension (a weak point on the Azera if you read the forums) and a little more room inside. The Azera has a better warranty and a better list of features (esp on the Limited). Resale should be about the same (not that great) since both can easily be bought at invoice less rebates (2K).

Actually, upon reviewing some back issues of Consumer Reports, they clocked a Taurus 3.5 L 0-60 at 7.9 seconds, and the Impala 3.9 L did the feat in 7.8 sec. I'm not claiming the 0.1 sec difference is significant, but it certainly does appear that the 3.9 L Impala seems to roughly match the Taurus in terms of performance. They probably have more low-end torque, being a larger push rod engine.
    I recently read a test of the Taurus at 7.2sec, with the 3.9 Impala at 7.4sec. To be fair, the Taurus was an AWD model, weighing over 4,000 pounds. The FWD weighs closer to 3,700 pounds. Still, the difference isn't large; the most noticeable difference will be that the Impala sounds choked and coarse when accelerating versus the DOHC engine in the Ford.

The biggest detriment isn't the power that the Impala makes, but the use through the 4-speed automatic. Gear changes come approximately like this for the Ford 6-speed.

1-2 : 35 mph
    2-3 : 60 mph
    3-4 : 92 mph

5th and 6th gear are tall overdrive gears. With gears this short, the engine doesn't drop out of its powerband, only going back to 4500 rpm at its lowest point.

The Impala runs more like this:

1-2 : 50 mph
    2-3 : 90 mph
    3-4 : ?

The Impala drops to below 4,000 rpm after gear-changes, and while it has good torque there, the big horsepower numbers come at 5,600 rpm, a good 1,800 rpm away from where the engine is when the gears change.

I know nobody (I hope!) is running these cars like drag-strip maniacs, all I intend to show is that the gearing certainly works to the Taurus' advantage.

HONESTLY, its not a competition for me; I just like car-talk. I'm glad to find anybody who'll discuss things like this with me. :)

For those interested, I scrounged up a video of the Impala 3.9L Accelerating, on youtube. After watching it, you'll understand why their fuel economy readout lists only 16mpg average!

Impala 3.9 Acceleration
    Interesting link. I see what you mean about the 4 speed transmission hurting it. That seemed a bit slower and a LOT cruder and less refined than my 07 Saturn Aura XR, witht the modern 3.6 liter V6 and 6 speed auto, a car Car and Driver clocked 0-60 in just 6.2 seconds. There are several similar videos involving cars like 07 G6 GTP's, etc. showing the 3.6 liter/6 speed combo in action and the difference is striking.
    07 Saturn Aura XR, witht the modern 3.6 liter V6 and 6 speed auto, a car Car and Driver clocked 0-60 in just 6.2 seconds
    the HF 3.6 certainly a modern engine as you note which makes it even more surprising that GM hasn't figured out some way to make it 'standard' on most of its cars. Toyota used to make different V6s for different applications and is now using the 2GR line wide (including Lexus). It has been reported that this is SAVING them literally billions a year in mfg. costs - for a better engine.
    Acceleration times are directly related to both a car's weight and its HP, HP being determined largely by how quickly (and willingly) an engine will rev. The problem with these old pushrod V6s is that they can't (and won't) rev very quickly and therefore are limited in what they can do from a power perspective almost regardless of what the specific gearing is. The fact that there are fewer speeds only keeps the engine working harder (off peak) and only aggravates the lack of refinement in the engine itself.
    The Impala doesn't sound bad at all in that video.

The 3.5L also sounds smooth under full throttle.
    Impala 3.5L Acceleration

I am amazed that people post their illegal activities for the whole world to see :P

Here is a new Taurus. They have the radio on, but you can still hear the engine. Not all that much different than the Impala
    Taurus Acceleration
    They have the radio on, but you can still hear the engine. Not all that much different than the Impala
    A good indicator of an engine's refinement ( as well as sound deadening/isolation). In the Avalon (and, by observation, in the Azera and Max) I'll never hear or feel the engine running despite the fact that all those cars are significantly quicker than the two you mention - even to the point of me starting the car twice if I'm not paying attention.
    IMO 'Detroit's' engine offerings are clearly inferior to some of the others in this group - in a number of ways and could only wish to be able to produce an engine as sophisticated as even the Hyundai 3.8, never mind the Nissan and Toyota 3.5s. Isolation from some of the 'driving experience' is really what sells in this class, the thought of the pushrod GM engine or even the slightly more sophisticated Ford DT 'grinding' away at 5 or 6000 rpm, makes me cringe.
    Isolation from some of the 'driving experience' is really what sells in this class

I guess Nissan shouldn't deliver the Maxima, then. :P

My folks are pulling the trigger today on their Taurus; a certified used Taurus with 20,006 miles. The salesman is telling them they should get out the door for around $19k. It has leather and the convenience package (Dual Climate Control, Auto ON/OFF Headlamps, etc).

See their car here.

They are very impressed with the power and the upscale level of quiet in this car, at this price, relative to the Impala. It felt like a step-up. Sure, an Avalon is even more refined, but you don't get the bang for the buck in the Toyota either. Their budget was around the price of a new Civic, but they wanted something more comfortable. This fits the bill better than anything out there, for THEM. Of course it isn't for everybody.
    at this price, relative to the Impala. It felt like a step-up

No.... it is a step-up. Not only in roominess but in powertrain as well. If I had to pick between the two I would buy the Taurus everytime. This is coming from someone who may have owned the worst example of a Taurus ('93 w/ the 3.8 :sick: ) however Ford has come a long way since then.

After they get it, give us your impressions. I am sure it will feel huge compared to your Accord.

After they get it, give us your impressions. I am sure it will feel huge compared to your Accord.

I'm sure it will too, although having learned to park and drive in a Honda Odyssey (2000 model) I have been driving bigger vehicles for awhile.

They plan to come home in it this weekend; they've already told me they hope I"ll chauffeur them around in it, so I'll have a good impression of how it drives. It'll actually be the most powerful car I've ever driven, I think.

I also test drove a 2008 Accord again over the weekend, with a friend of mine in the market for a car. I told her I felt like we were in different time zones in the front seats. That's a wide car!
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Congratulations to your folks, and to you for the guidance. I was impressed with the Taurus I test drove. (I never even bothered with an Impala, which tells you what I think of it.)

I think you did well, and I second the comments about its power and mechanical refinement. Yes, you can hear the car at idle, but it's a smooth and pleasant quality of sound, and there's subjectively no more din once you're underway than in the other entrants in the class. Captain's just got his (yes, much more expensive) Avalon on the brain.
    My dad has driven an Avalon, and sure wouldn't mind having one, but can't bring himself to spend $30k + on a Toyota (or any other non-premium-branded vehicle). Actually, our Odyssey van was the most expensive car our family has ever had. Spending a lot on a depreciating asset is something that they don't deem as financially responsible, especially since they have recently cut their income by six figures anually.