Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX vs. Infiniti G35

rdl2rdl2 Member Posts: 6
edited July 2014 in Acura
I am in the market for a new car and was trying to decide between the Infiniti G35 and the Acura TL. Once in the Acura showroom, I was introduced to the TSX and thought for the price differential, this was a pretty good car.

I am torn between the AWD and 6 cylinder drive of the G35 vs. the price point and fun drive of the TSX. I do live in the northeast, so I am also interested in how the TSX does in the snow.

Any thoughts. Thanks.

Comments

• stlcarguystlcarguy Member Posts: 30
    My wife has had her TSX through 2 winters now with great performance. We live in the midwest and often get atleast a few solid snow and ice storms per year. Her car handled everything just fine. We live on a bluff and have a long hill up to our subdivision and in addition have a steep driveway. The car just trucked right on up them both without fail.
  • rdl2rdl2 Member Posts: 6
    So, I guess you recommend the car. I'm leaning towards it and just need to be tipped over a bit.
  • stlcarguystlcarguy Member Posts: 30
    Sorry, I just focused on your "interested in how it does in snow" part I guess :) I definitely recommend it. If it's any indication I just picked up an '06 for myself. I think it's just the best value in the segment. If you really love the G35, go for it. If it really is a toss up though, I think the TSX is best decision.
    Thanks.

It is a toss up and because the TSX was never on my original list, I am having trouble deciding.

But I think you are right. I had narrowed my choice down to the G35, but didn't "love it". I thought it would be a great choice.

But for the price and the style, I'm thinking the TSX will be the choice. And the fact that you assure me that it does well in the snow, clinches the deal.

Thanks again. The TSX it is.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    By the way, gdoctsx1, I like your post, #74.
    I see your point about being in Canada, the cost of the vehicle and the amount you need to earn in order to cover the tax and such.
    In the US, we do have it pretty good, when comparing to some others, although I still like to complain.

I also have a home, family w/ kids and a mortgage to deal with.
    I am also at that stage in life where I need to plan for my future (36 yrs old) as well as my kid's.

The G came at just the right time in life.
    I haven't owned a car like this before, or anything near this price range... and may not ever again.
    I sometimes wonder what I was thinking, but I'm enjoying every second of the time I have with this car.

It was a good post and a point well made. ;)
  • acuralvracuralvr Member Posts: 1
    You probably bought the car already, but the G35, I believe is rear-wheel drive. So, on acceleration, you could fishtail a bit. The TSX is front wheel so you shouldn't have that probablem as much.
    Thank you for your response. Yes I did buy it already and so far I am very happy with it (although it obviously hasn't snowed yet.)

The G35 I was looking at was actually all wheel drive which I know would have been great in the snow. Hence, that was my dilemma.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    A future G25 might be a better comparison to the current gen TSX.
  • factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    The 1999 Infiniti G20 would be a good comparison.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    The G20 was a good car in it's day, and also occupied a similar, unique "in-between" spot with a touch of luxury, sport, and affordable family practicality.

Unfortunately, with only a 2.0L 140 HP engine, the G20 pales in comparison to the TSX. In fact, thanks to it's added weight, the G20 even paled in comparison to the Sentra SE-R, the car it was based on.

The G20 was also held back by the economy car platform it was built on - it really was nothing more than a dressed up Sentra. The TSX, on the other hand, possesses a high level of refinement because it's built on Honda's midsize platform (Accord, TL, etc.).

I liked the G20 when it first came out, but I owned a Sentra SE-R at the time and couldn't understand why anyone would choose the Infiniti over the Nissan. The Sentra had so much better performance and was comfortable enough for me.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    if you remember the infiniti g20 was actually a car that was applauded by the press as being a good entry level lux car.. As is the Japanese Accord --aka the acura tsx- yes the tsx has 200 hp but this isn't 1998. The TSX is a fantastic car -- looks are great- the interior is TL --the exterior sharp and sporty -- BUT it is not in the same class as the g35 - 306 hp hello-- yes the g35 cost more as it should --its the size of a bmw 530. Ok so why would someone buy a TSX when they could get an accord for less with more power?? well the answer would be to have the Acura badge the service and resale.. so thats why someone would rather have a g20 over the sentra (the se-r was a great car in the day)
    From a sporting perspective, the G20 couldn't hold a candle against the Sentra SE-R.

The TSX, on the other hand is a sporty, responsive, fun-to-drive sedan that blows the Accord away dynamically.

Driving the Accord is like - well, let's just say I'd have more fun clipping my toe nails than I would clipping apexes in an Accord. :P
    "From a sporting perspective, the G20 couldn't hold a candle against the Sentra SE-R."-- agreed.. but again the sentra did not have a bose radio, leather seats, or infiniti service. The G20 was built for an different customer one who wasn't looking to race..
    "Driving the Accord is like - well, let's just say I'd have more fun clipping my toe nails than I would clipping apexes in an Accord."

And by the time you got to that apex you would be far behind an accord v6 6 speed. :(
    When did we stop comparing G35's and TSX's and start talking about G20's, Sentras and Accords?
    "agreed.. but again the sentra did not have a bose radio, leather seats, or infiniti service."

Agreed.. but again, my response was directed at the comment that the TSX should be compared to the G20. My point is that the G20 sacrificed performance for more luxury, while the TSX increased performance AND luxury.

"by the time you got to that apex you would be far behind an accord v6 6 speed."

Dragstrips don't have an apex...
    Dragstrips don't have an apex

Bringing a TSX to a dragstrip is just like taking a knife to a gun fight.
    The G20 is the conceptual ancestor of the G35 (and arguably one of the first modern Japanese "entry lux" cars based on a more pedestrian platform). Comparing the mission/execution of the TSX to the G20 (and the G20's evolution into the G35) is a valid diversion, in my opinion.

BTW, I don't think the TSX really compares to the G35 anymore. The G35 has moved significantly upmarket (and in my opinion, lost it's appeal).
    BTW, I don't think the TSX really compares to the G35 anymore.

Absolutely.
    This entire thread is absurd.

We're comparing two completely different cars.
    The TSX only has one thing going for it in comparison... price.

And those who choose it for that reason are the types that would never look at the G or likewise to begin with.
    Actually, I would rather own and drive a TSX than a G35. The TSX is a more responsive car that's more fun to drive. The steering has a lot of feel and gives a lot of road feedback to the driver - the clutch and shifter are to die for - and the chassis feels light and tossable.

The G35 is a barge by comparison - a very fast barge, but a barge.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    But the comparo here is on the subject vehicles. Anyone is free to start a different comparo at anytime.

If/when everyone agrees that there is no comparison between the TSX and G35 anymore (if there ever was) and QUITS POSTING here, the topic will die a natural death and we'll schedule the funeral. ;)
    Actually, I would rather own and drive a TSX than a G35. The TSX is a more responsive car that's more fun to drive. The steering has a lot of feel and gives a lot of road feedback to the driver - the clutch and shifter are to die for - and the chassis feels light and tossable.

The G35 is a barge by comparison - a very fast barge, but a barge

now thats absurd. Fedlawman has never stepped on the gas of a G35..responsive.. hello -306hp -tsx yes the shifter is great -but your driving a front wheel drive car-responsive? step on the gas on the G and you'll get enough feedback to send you to jail quick.(lawman).have you seen the reviews for this car?? I'm happy your happy with your TSX its a great car but its not a G --even the Host is laughing :)
    "...never stepped on the gas of a G35..responsive.. hello -306hp...responsive? step on the gas on the G...have you seen the reviews for this car?"

I don't own a TSX or a G35, but have driven both extensively.

I am also past puberty and believe the term "responsive" means more than stepping on the go pedal when the light turns green.

For your info, here's what I wrote after my first test drive of a 2007 G35 6-speed Sport last December (well before any of these discussions began):

"It's power feels soft. The clutch take up is sudden, making smooth shifts next to impossible. This difficulty was compounded by the most glaring fault - throttle response. I'm sure it's the drive-by-wire software, but it had a very detached feel to it, and revs hung so high and long that when you try to heel&toe, the revs actually leap up a few hundred RPM before they slowly start to decay. It was the most unnatural, awkward, and difficult to shift car I've driven in a long time. It's a car that you don't settle into and immediately feel comfortable driving."
    fedlawman, "Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans" #7262, 26 Dec 2006 11:01 am

I admit the TSX would benefit from having some more ponies under the hood, but I love that the TSX begs to be driven. The controls all feel natural and effortless - you settle in immediately and everything just works and feels as it should. It's simply a car that loves to rev and shift and turn, and it puts a smile on your face every time.

I'm glad you enjoy the G35 - it's an impressive car for the money. I'm actually impressed with how sporty the G35 turned out to be considering how big and heavy it is (heavier and longer wheelbase than a Buick LaCrosse!). Maybe Infiniti and Buick should join forces and finally beat BMW in the luxury sport sedan market :P
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    If a G35 is a barge, would a CTS-V, M5, RS6, E55 (OK maybe this is one!) be mega barges? You want a nicely done car that is responsive and actually can get out of it's own way, get a mazdaspeed 3, or old mazdaspeed protege. Hell, an SVT focus (Kinda slow though) for that matter. They compare to a TSX about as well as a TSX compares to a G. TSX is overpriced and doesn't really know what it is.
    "If a G35 is a barge, would a CTS-V, M5, RS6, E55 (OK maybe this is one!) be mega barges?"

Yup.

"TSX is overpriced..."

Yes, I agree that time has marched on since 2003 and the TSX no longer offers the value it once did. The entry-lux segment has moved upmarket in power, price, and size/weight and left the aging TSX to occupy a new, smaller niche. I think the TSX now compares more closely with cars like the VW Jetta/Passat/Audi A3/A4, Subaru Legacy, and Lexus IS250.

"...and doesn't really know what it is."

The TSX is a non-sentient machine. It doesn't know anything. I know that it is still one of the most approachable and entertaining sedans on the road. Is the G35 worth $3,000 more? That depends on what you value in a car - HP or chassis/driveline precision.
    The disparity in overall power (More torque than hp)is at least 3-5 times greater than the driveline disparity the other way. As an owner of an S2000 (05 - 2.2), I find it a joke that the tsx is a "Precision" machine. As an ex-owner of an 04TL, I am embarrassed at the turning radius...tsx didn't seem much better when I would have a loaner. I would think that is more barge-like than any other sentiment. Anything that is to be considered sporty needs to also be at least "Remotely" fast. That's why the TL outsells it almost 2:1. A3 is also overpriced but at least it can get out of it's own way.
    "The disparity in overall power (More torque than hp)is at least 3-5 times greater than the driveline disparity the other way."

You're entitled to your opinion.

We all place different value in straight-line acceleration. You want sub-6 sec 0-60, and that's fine. Me? I place a high value on driveline precision.

As an S2000 owner, you can surely appreciate the joy of driving a car that lets the driver become "one with the machine" instead of merely manipulating the controls and going along for the ride. You have also experienced what it's like to have an almost telepathic dialogue with a car and have it respond to your inputs perfectly. Finally, you know what it is like to push a car to it's limits, and at all times know exactly what each tire is doing as they communicate to you through your hands, feet, ears, and seat of the pants - and to ride that razors edge knowing you're in complete control.

I don't believe the G35 is this type of car.

Of course the TSX has it's weaknesses being the luxury/family based car that it is (turning radius, all-season tires, FWD, etc.), but it does posses many of these sports car qualities. It's tossable, communicative, and has intuitive/fluid controls (like your S2000). It's limits are accessible without being scary, and it's fun exploring and playing with those limits. The G35 6-speed I drove, while a fast, grippy, and capable sport sedan, had none of these more elusive qualities. So while the TSX is no S2000, it's a lot closer to the mark than the G35 - and if you measure your car to the S2000 benchmark, the numb steering, jerky shifting G35 can only come up wanting.

One point I'll concede is that all of my opinions are based on the 6-speed manual versions of these cars. As I have stated in the past, I think the TSX with auto transmission is a dud - the slushbox literally saps all the fun out of the car. And although I've never driven a G35 with auto transmission, I truly believe that a slushbox would wipe away the negative traits that I found so distracting (clutch take-up, throttle response, rev matching issues, etc.).

I can't recommend the TSX with an auto transmission, nor can I recommend the G35 with a stick shift. My recommendation to you is to keep the S2000. If I didn't need a backseat in my weekend runabout, I'd be driving one too.
    Fair enough...I have both, actually. And my G is auto...complete with corny paddles but VERY nice rev-matched downshifting. That's what I meant with the TSX not really knowing what it is. 4 door hard-core...get an evo. 4 door comfy but fast...TL/G/IS/Legacy. 4 door cheap track burner...SRT/Mazdaspeed. In all fairness, all the loaner tsx's I drive were auto. Honda doesn't make an auto s2k for a reason (I still can't believe they made auto rx7tts).
    You have a nice fleet in your stable - not unlike my own choices. A sporty yet comfortable car for the week, and an unfiltered, uncompromised sports car for the weekend.

I guarantee if you take a TSX 6-speed for a spin, you'd understand. Off the top of my head, I would describe it as 65% TL (refinement, luxury) and 35% Miata (nimble, crisp).
  • silvertlsilvertl Member Posts: 8
    I just might, because now I've become curious. I have driven a 6mt TL, and found the shifter to be a bit sloppy (Although pretty good for a front driver). I have a car-nut friend who now has a 911CS, who swears that his early 90's miata was the best shifting car he's ever owned. He's owned some really really really good cars, including an nsx, sti, rx7, s2k, and a gs-r. I still don't think I can get past a nearly 30K car that barely breaks 8 seconds 0-60 though. I stop at a lot of redlights! ! !
  • silvertlsilvertl Member Posts: 8
    That's funny..my laptop has my old ID saved. I'm curious, do you think the tsx is sportier than a 325? I drove a 98 (I think) M3 HARD and I swear the front end felt as planted or more than the s2k. My friend who had a 2000 s2k said his was more lively than my "Watered down" 05 though.
    FEDLAW what do you drive?? Would like to know how you know so much about the ACURA TSX and The Infiniti G35. I have owned a 2000 Acura integra GS-R (loved the manual, the highrev engine was terrific for when I was in my early 20's) a 2003 VW Jetta GLI for the money I thought it was the best car I could get.. Had the Vr6 with the 6speed --had more grunt then the TSX without the need to unwind the engine to get it up to speed. Not as refined as the TSX, did not have the best service (VW vs acura) but my belief it was a more fun car to drive and again for the price was a hidden jewel-the new Jetta GlI is more TSX then old VR6 jetta. My move to G35x was a hard one for me as I had to give up the manual (living in new england wanted awd) but the engine power is addictive --the Car is not a "barge" or a "buick" (comments that are utterly redik) on the turns --yes its heavy compared to the TSX --yep-- but again its on a par with the TL (power to weight) the TSX and TL has had there run but need a injection of power and a face lift to spark new interest (2009 i think this will come) --for the money --power, technology, service, standard features its hard to knock the 07 G.. Please look at the articles that have written and tested both the sedan and coupe and the experts have had nothing but rave reviews for these cars -- plus consumer reports has the g on top for 2007--
    I own a fully restored and stroked 1988 BMW M3 and a stock 2004 Volvo V70 wagon. I did own a TSX for 2 years and even tracked it a few times - that's how I came to know so much about it's handling and driveline dynamics.

I think the Integra GS-R and the TSX share quite a bit in common. The TSX is softer and heavier, but they both share that light, responsive "Honda feel" in the controls, driveline, and seat of the pants. The reason why I gush over the TSX's dynamics is because it feels a lot smaller and lighter than it really is when you push it. Turn-in is very quick and the car is eager to change direction.

With today's crop of "entry-level lux/sport" sedans hovering around 3600# and 300 hp, they have really grown too hefty for my tastes. I admit that calling the G35 a Buick or a barge is somewhat overblown, but I say it to make a point. When a car is this large and heavy, there is only so much you can do with fat tires and suspension tuning - the laws of physics can not be avoided. Yes, the G35 is an impressive GT car - fast, comfortable, and flat cornering. I just think it misses the mark as a sport sedan because of the faults I have previously pointed out.
    88 M3 nice rig-- the huge wheel wells were either a love it or hate it but I personally loved it.. I agree with you on the TSX/ GS-R honda feel --the GS-R felt quicker but again at the sacrifice of luxury. (the integra and the G20 were the original entry level Japanese sedans). Now to get back to todays crop of lux sedans -- I agree with you they are a little "fat" but its what the buyers are asking for-- that is a car Packed with safety (airbags all over the place), technology, and AWD -- thus changing the LUX SPORT class altogether..
    "changing the LUX SPORT class altogether.."

For the worse, in my opinion. Consider...

15 years ago, a 1991 BMW 735i weighed 3800 lbs and had a 111.5" wheelbase. 10 years ago, a 1997 540i weighed 3700 lbs and had a 111.4" wheelbase.

The G35 weighs 3500 lbs and has a 112.2" wheelbase. The "entry-level" isn't entry-level anymore - they're all grown up and silver haired.
    "For the worse, in my opinion." I would agree but atleast they are putting more HPs in the engine to compensate a bit.. the old 540 what a great car that bmw made ugly
  • kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    My wife and I looked at and she test drove an Acura TL and TSX last night (a new car for her). While she and I are both impressed with the Acuras, we also both agree that neither model is like an Infiniti G35. I was surprised to hear her state that she thought the TL was overpriced, considering that a version with a Navigation system comes close to $37K. She feels at that price it puts the TL in the G35 range for a car pricewise, but it does not have that something 'extra' that the G35 has. And the TSX is even much less a comparison. (Odd that this thread even exists.) To me, a more real comparison would be the Acura-RL vs. the Infiniti-M series.

I like the Acuras but would not trade my new G35X for one. The G35X feels totally classy to me when I am in it. I thought the Navigation map was much cleaner on the G35. I thought it odd that to get Auto-Headlight-On/Off, you have to get a TL. TSX still has the manual mode.

The one thing that Acura's have that I wish the Infiniti had was DVD-Audio Surround Sound playback capabilities. Not a deal breaker, but a wish-list item.
  • gdoctsx1gdoctsx1 Member Posts: 60
    'Ok so why would someone buy a TSX when they could get an accord for less with more power?'

I think people (like myself) would by a TSX over an Accord, despite the power difference because driving the Accord is well..blah. Top of the line Camry has more horsepower than a Lexus IS250, however for the same reason I'd take the Lexus. Good thing my girlfriend has the IS250 and not the Camry. Sounds better too! I drive an Acura TSX or I drive a Lexus IS250:) God i'm shallow and happy :P
    Congrats on the new car. The G35 is a nice machine. I prefer the Acuras over the infinity, mostly because the interior in the Acura TSX, TL, to be more appealing than the infinity. Not sure if you've really played with the Navigation, but the infinity navi is not very friendly. The touch screen in the Acura is very easy to use, and I feel the graphics and size of the screen are also an advantage to the Acura. On the power side, the G35 really moves and handles well. The mere fact that this thread exists is a testimate to how good the TSX is overall as a car. However, for the extra 7-8k, there is a reason why the G35 offers more. I just saw the new Coupe in a Mall in Toronto, and it looks gorgeous as does the sedan. Great car choice! If infinity could revamp the interior i'd be more inclined to get one. I had one as a rental on a trip to the states - yup, it's fast! enjoy.
    I've owned some nice cars over the years, and after 6 months or so, still love driving the TSX. As far as the power thing goes,second and third gear on the highway from 4000-7200 is a lot of fun. I also love the diversity of the engine. I went from a V-6 BMW to a 4 Cylinder TSX and I'm very happy with the power of the TSX. For those who keep refering to "dragging" and "off the line", it's just that you're testosterone and insecurity is so high you've forgotten why people actually buy the cars they do. I think the NEON SRT (or whatever it is) is fast! The "feel" of the TSX is fantastic and it is a very responsive car. With all the features it's a very fun car to own. As far as fast on a drag strip goes - who cares! Oh ya, kids do!
    "I think people (like myself) would by a TSX over an Accord, despite the power difference because driving the Accord is well..blah."

Camry and Accord yes not the best examples of sport and luxury but for the coin you can compare a V6 accord coupe 6speed to a TSX--both have honda transmissions--the avail navi --both are front wheel drive - for me its close-- TSX looks good but needs a jolt of power --accord changing this year should make it even better choice. Lexus IS250 another good looking car but if you price it with options the TSX looks like a real steal. My only wish is that Nissan and Honda one day offer a 300hp car with AWD and a 6speed for 35k.
    Is blaming a cars lack of any sort of low end (In and out of slow traffic) power on a persons shortcomings anything like blaming the need for some sort of immigration reform on racism? A car in this category / price needs to be able to jump in and out of traffic should the need arise without a high-revving, clutch slipping episode. The cars bottom end sucks...period. It's not a shortcoming in anyone who drives it. 0-60 is the most common measurement of acceleration for a reason...it's the most used...period.
    I guess you won't be singing the joys of the Mazda RX-8, Honda S2000, or Lotus Elise any time soon either... :blush:
    Again, I own (Lease) an S2000. Different car, for a different purpose. If someone doesn't like grunt fromm their motor...fine...but it doesn't equate to a shortcoming in someone else's character. That is one of the stupidest (Car wise) things I have ever heard. image
    And if liking torque equates to my manhood, I would be glad to show you the tire wear on the S2k.
    P.S. I drove Rx8 before S2K, way too little on the bottom and the top...very sad journey"> from old TT Rx7 (A beast)
    John, were the windows in your TL tinted, or is that just the look from that particular angle.
    Thought about tinting the G yet?

I want ceramic tint, but I'm having trouble finding someone around my parts with references.
    Tinted (More than legal actually) Made a big difference in temp with my black interior. I need to to the G...I should have done it a long time ago. A client of mine did the TL for free...it held up for the two years I had it that way. I don't know much at all about tint other than it's not welcome in NJ lol
    "If someone doesn't like grunt fromm their motor...fine...but it doesn't equate to a shortcoming in someone else's character...if liking torque equates to my manhood, I would be glad to show you the tire wear on the S2k."

Why are you responding to me? I don't believe I have made a personal attack on this, or any other, forum.
    I was merely clarifying the difference between expecting something from a certain type / level of vehicle, and actually not liking a particular form of power delivery for a given situation. And elaborating, of course, on the senseless, insulting comments from the previous poster.
  • ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    :confuse: I am just puzzled why this thread still exists?

Other than that both TSX and G35 is Japanese Lux brand cars,
    what is there to really compare? One is 4cyl FWD, the other
    is 6cyl RWD with 306 HP.

TSX compares closer to maybe Lexus IS250.

Any one agree or disagree?
    It takes a little bit of shifting, however "jumping in and out of traffic" is very fun for me with the TSX. I find the torque great and the overall motor very fun/quick. 0-60 numbers are not used everyday. Unless you floor your car off every light to 60. Not something I personally do everyday. I stick to my point, men refer to 0-60 times because it's a "unit" of measurement. 0-60 time tells you if you can kick the cars &%## next to you. The difference in a car that does 0-60 in 6.7 seconds vs 7.3 seconds matters to some. The Lexus is250 I also drive has more torque, but is no faster off the line and really I have a lot more fun in city driving with the TSX than the IS. Take my 6spd TSX off the light, to 60 with the IS250, and 2 cars are side by side. Get the cars to 120km and the TSX pulls away slow. So much for more torque.
This discussion has been closed.