Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Kia Rio Prices Paid and Buying Experience

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited January 2014 in Kia
Please use the following discussion to post your experiences when shopping for an Kia Rio, including how much you paid if you'd like. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Prices Paid Forum

Comments

• my_burgmy_burg Member Posts: 2
    Freedom KIA, Westover WV

Paid $9999 for a base model 2008 RIO with 2 free oil changes and a couple of Kia Tee shirts.

Needed a work car and this more than exceeded my expectations.

Dealership was great. Hope to deal with them again when my wife needs her next car/ van / SUV.
  • molovatomolovato Member Posts: 2
    Great awesome experience. Salesman was not pushy at all he simply asked the right questions. Got a great deal on a 2008 Kia Rio5 LX with the options: Power everything and floor mats. Steel wheels with covers.Price out the door (I didn't finance there.) $13,000.00 including sales tax, inventory tax, registration and all that stuff.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    how much is sales tax in your county in texas? Auto or manual transmission?

thanx
    --jjf
  • molovatomolovato Member Posts: 2
    It is Auto transmission and the sales tax was for Montgomery County. Sales tax I believe was $750.00...
  • 1951don1951don Member Posts: 6
    Battleground Kia, Greensboro, NC
    I bought a 2008 Kia Rio5 SX Hatchback. It is an automatic, no power options or special features except floor mats and wheels. Cost $22K + :cry::cry:
    The sticker on a SX hatch 5 is 15000 msrp or so. Are you in Canada? Is you credit score -5?

thanx
    --jjf
    -
    Battleground Kia, Greensboro, NC
    I bought a 2008 Kia Rio5 SX Hatchback. It is an automatic, no power options or special features except floor mats and wheels. Cost $22K
  • jweaver39jweaver39 Member Posts: 15
    no disrespect, but you got suckered!! ;)
  • my_carmy_car Member Posts: 1
    I live in Houston, Texas. I am interested in a 2008 Kia Rio5 LX too. You got a great deal. How did you get the deal? Did you buy it from Cowboy KIA's internet department? Did you see the deal from the advertisement? Did you need to negotiate the price? Thanks.
  • rioownerrioowner Member Posts: 45
    Bought my Rio in Jan 08'. Paid 8990.00, and got 1k loyalty cash. I bought the base car, and it has nothing, nothing but good gas mileage. I was sketical at first because it didn't get but 32 mpg. That changed over the past five months. Now it is getting great mileage.
  • autohead1autohead1 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a new 2009, even though its June of 2010.

The window had a decent rebate to 13400....automatic, ABS and spolier...SX

When I went to get the 0% loan for 60months, they swapped and said I didn't qualify.
    So they offered me 1.9%.

Then when I asked why the price went up, they said it was "either" the interest or the rebate.

Then I had to discuss the rebate cash offered on the KIA website, and the salesman acted as if he wasn't aware of that....gee whiz,,,,he sells KIA's everyday, and didn't know that. huh?

I then didn't hit the monthly payment I wanted and tossed down $1,000 more.

I was also a bit concerned about how they made the famous Warranty sound not so good. As if it was a maze of requirements to satisfy the Warranty....OR ELSE!

or else the Warranty is VOID!

the scare tactic or is it real? I don't know. I added extended KIA warranty to have $0 deductible and go the 10yr...though after reading the Kia Warranty manual I am not sure this was a good deal or not.

After all the smoke and mirrors...
    I walked off paying $288 a month at 1.9% for 60 months. $1,000 down.
    Its a 2009 SX with ABS, brand new.

It wasn't a really fun experience. Its been 10yrs since I bought a car and the shell-scam game seems to still be in full force.
  • shana2shana2 Member Posts: 10
    Hi.
    I'm a college student looking at cars, and I found a used Kia Rio the other day. It's a 2007 model with 64k miles on it, and they were asking for $6,000 for it. It comes with only a 60-day warranty from the dealer, but there's an optional extended warranty that will cover it to 100k miles.
    Does this sound like a good deal? And can anyone give me a rough estimate as to how much the extended warranty will cost?
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    I would think you could get it for a bit less. A warranty should cost between $700-1100, depending on the deductible and what's covered.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    edited November 2010
    A reporter is interested in talking with a recent and first-time owner of a Kia. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than noon on November 10, 2010, and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dja212dja212 Member Posts: 6
    Could use some assistance if anyone has it.... Really enjoyed driving the rio over most competitors to be honest... just dont want to show all my cards at the dealership for a new ride. So I'm looking at the EX ($16,500.) with a few options.... including the Convenience Package $1k. I've been quoated $18,580.... Haven't read too many new price quoates / leasing feedback or conversation so I thought I'd throw it out there.
  • dja212dja212 Member Posts: 6
    Could use some assistance if anyone has it.... Really enjoyed driving the Rio over most competitors to be honest... just dont want to show all my cards at the dealership for a new ride. So I'm looking at the EX ($16,500.) with a few options.... including the Convenience Package $1k. I've been quoated $18,580.... Haven't read too many new price quoates / leasing feedback or conversation so I thought I'd throw it out there.
    Actually, this thread has about 16 posts since 2006. So not much traffic. The hyundai elantra is car of the year, a bigger vehicle and similarly equipped to the rio may be slightly less. leases may be comparable if similar terms.

-j
  • ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 1
    Bought an SX Rio 5 fully loaded for 20K including TT&T out the door in Tampa.
  • iz2006iz2006 Member Posts: 1
    Very nice, I just bought myself a Kia Rio EX fully loaded gdI for $17K including TT&T in Tampa. Good pick!
  • hatedealing1hatedealing1 Member Posts: 1
    Not much activity on this forum so I thought I would post my purchase info and experience. Yesterday I bought a 2013 Kia Rio Hatchback EX. Only option was carpeted floor mats. MSRP was $17545. Sale price was $16255 w/Destination but excluding Tax, License and Title. We bought it at AllStar Kia in San Bernardino CA.

The buying process was very painless. I went to the Kia.com website and used the Search Dealer inventory link. I found the car with the exact options I wanted and clicked Request a Quote. The quote was provided via email within a few hours on the VIN# of the car I already checked out on Kia.com.

The price was much better than what other dealers were quoting me over the phone. When I arrived the price never changed from the quote and there were no bait and switch tactics used.

I asked them if it came with the $500 Kia Financing rebate. They said they could do it but the rate would go up 1%. It was basically a wash. Many other dealers had touted the $500 rebate. However, none of them mentioned that it came at the expense of a point on the financing deal. I checked the Kia website and there is no manufacturer's $500 "financing rebate" on this model. It is a dealership incentive (which really isn't much of an incentive).

Cute car and nicely appointed for this class. Good luck shopping!
  • queenvee20queenvee20 Member Posts: 1
    Hi iz2006,

I'm looking at a 2013 EX trim. I see your subject title says "lease" or did you purchase? When you say "fully loaded" is that inclusive of the rear assist camera; Do you have leather or premium cloth interior? If you got leather WITH the rear assist you got a great deal!! Was there a financing rebate offer or dealer incentive? 17,000 including TT&Fees?! How'd you get that deal, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks for taking time to reply! I live in Atlanta.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    On June 24 I leased a 2013 LX hatchback with AT and convenience package and carpeted mats for $170/month, 36 months, with only the first months payment up front. That included the competitive rebate but not the military rebate (dealer was offering the car in an ad for $159/month with the military rebate and competitive rebate, but w/o mats). I thought this was a good deal especially since the Hyundai dealer down the road was offering a comparably-equipped Accent for $169/month but $1899 up front.

The car is red with tan/black interior. I think it's very sharp in that combination. I have nearly 800 miles on the car now and love it so far.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    I have driven a few of these at work and they are pretty sweet small vehicles and prefer this over the current Accent model, it just looks fresher and handles a bit better. The wife is leaning towards the Hyundai and I am for the Kia but it will be her ride so she gets to choose it. Also, the Hyundai store is ridiculously close to the house while the Kia is a drive and over by the Honda dealer across town. They had a red over black hatch with the nice alloys in the showroom awhile back which was stunning...it really drew one's eye's to it! At this point in time if I had to purchase for me, it would be a Kia/Hyundai product hands down!..They seem to be like the old Honda and Toyota used to be like when they really were producing awesome products...guess it's the Koreans turn to pick up where the Japanese left off!

Congrats on your new sled...enjoy!!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• prijayprijay Member Posts: 26
    Looking to buy for my daughter need help from anyone who has bought a rio recently, let me know the price so that i know what i can get it for.